The Currency of Time Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

She faced me while a wind rufled her mane of red hair around her face.

"How is this possible? I can do a blood test, but you and I both know it's not necessary. But that's impossible?"

"No, I'm just not sure how to tell you without making you hate me more."

"I don't know that that's possible."

"I knew that you wanted children, Michael, But...I was still in love with Julian. And I thought...I was sure, he would come back for me. But you kept getting me pregnant."

"So you aborted them?"

"No. I didn't abort any of the three times I got pregnant. Remember, I was raised Catholic. But with enough money, you could have the embryos removed and frozen so they could be implanted later."

"I repeat -- what changed?"

"After what happened in Guatamala, I knew you were never coming back. I've been with other men since Julian, but I never found anyone I wanted to be serious about. And then I realized that I still had a piece of you. I might never see you again, but I could see you in him. So I tried and we lost the first embryo. We tried again and Michael was born."

"And you never thought of letting me know?"

"You tore up my letters, wouldn't take any communication at all. And even if I had gotten the word to you, would you believe me -- without seeing him?"

"Probably not. So, now what?"

"That's up to you. He's your son. I won't let you have joint custody and if you try, I'll stop you. But you're welcome to see him whenever you're in Jacksonville. If you want to take him on trips -- within reason -- feel free."

"How many bodyguards will be tagging along?"

"None. He's your son."

"And why wouldn't I just take him, vanish and you could spend the next decade looking for him?"

"Because you're a decent man, Michael McCarthy. You wouldn't' steal a son from his mother, you wouldn't cause him pain."

"You're awfully sure of yourself."

She stepped closer as the night drew down and the wind whipped dust in the street. Behind me I could hear the sounds of the bar, but it seemed as if we were the only two people in the world.

"You remember that tape recording you played in Bailey's office that day. You remember I said that I had feelings for you. That was the truth. I didn't want to be in love with Julian when I met you. But I was. I didn't want to hurt you, but I did. That doesn't change the fact that I know what kind of man you are."

I turned to go back inside, to the light and laughter and music and beer, away from this all too-sad autopsy of everything that had gone wrong with my life.

"Michael."

"What? I need something to make me feel good."

"Can you come by the estate tonight? Michael will be crushed if you don't. And -- I have some papers I hope you'll sign."

"Papers?"

Every suspicion I'd had flared back to life.

"Guardianship papers. I'd like you to agree to become Michael's guardian."

I turned back to her.

"What does that mean?"

"If something happens to me, if I die before he turns 21, I want you to become his Guardian. That means you'll have complete control of his money and my company. I don't expect it to happen and you won't have any responsibilities as long as I'm alive. But..."

I just stared at her. I was getting mental whiplash.

"You're the only man I've ever known who didn't care anything about my money, or the company. If I die, I know you'll take care of Michael, because he's your son."

I had pushed open the door when she said from behind me, "My limo left. Is there any chance you can give me a ride to the estate? It's going to storm tonight. Andre said he's outdone himself with the Duck L'Orange. And he's always enjoyed the way you enjoy his food. That way you can get a good meal, say goodnight to Michael and we'll finish our business together."

I let the door close and turned and walked her to my rental.

************** *************** **************** *********

From inside the bar two pairs of eyes watched the man and woman enter the rental.

"What do you think, Sugar?" O'Brien asked.

"He's lost."

THE END