The Firstwalker

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

That which you experienced is what my brother plans for all of Talor. He sends the ill wind that brings shadows at me now, for alone of the Firstwalkers I oppose him. As long a I stand between him and the greater world he cannot prevail."

"How do you know?" Tal asked. She snuggled unconsciously deeper into the embrace. Rith chuckled and kissed her neck, causing her to wiggle in delight.

"It is ordained little one. Shadow can never defeat fire. In the world of magic and mages it is called a natural law. The weakest spell invoking fire will defeat shadow."

"You are opposites then?"

"Nay, the opposite of shadow is light. Those spells do not loose one to another but cancel each other out. Even the most black hearted of evil mages will learn some spells of light. Not to cast them for their purpose, but use them as a foil to the dark spells of his enemies."

"You know so much about magic, are you a mage?"

"Yes and no. I have mastered the mystic arts, but I do not follow any school of magic, nor do I make a living as a spellcaster. I am the embodiment of fire little one. All spells that draw upon my element are mine to command with only a thought. Spellbooks, components, intricate movements, these are all comical to me. I need only wish it and the power of the spell is unleashed."

"Was that a magic crystal then?"

"Magic Crystal? Oh, the light stone. No, the stone isn't magic."

"But I saw it pulsing with light," Tal said twisting in her lover's embrace. A look of pain so deep that it moved her passed over Rith's face.

"Tala's stone isn't magic. It's what mages call a focus. The stone meant a great deal to Tala when she walked the earth and that emotional bond links it to her. A good mage can use that link to draw some of her power into the stone for short periods of time."

"How did you come to posses it?"

"My, you are full of questions."

"I'm sorry,"

"No, you have a right to know. You would not have been here and in harm's way if I had not brought you here. I took on the responsibility to protect you and I failed. Tala was my first lover. My only lover. We were inseparable and I loved her as desperately as any wild-eyed young human when he first realizes what love is. When she chose to sleep and leave this world I was devastated. I wandered for years alone and bereft of hope. Of all the Firstwalkers I and I alone have never taken a mortal lover, until now."

"Why me?" Tal'marin asked. Her voice sounded small and confused and she regretted the question before she was finished asking it. Rith looked at her with a measured gaze. Tal could almost see the Firstwalker's mind going over wording, thoughts, what could be safely revealed and what must remain hidden.

"When you touched Tala's stone you broke the link I had established with her. I found you lying on the floor with your face deathly pale and your skin cold. I picked you up and carried you to my bed. When I realized what had happened I called you back from that world. Yet, when you returned the shadows lay heavily upon you. Were you human I could have simply touched you, for fire has great sway over the hearts and minds of men. Over elves fire holds less dominion, for you are creatures of air and your inner fires are cool, not hot. I knew of only one way to rouse in you the fire that burns away shadow and brings healing. There were other reasons, but of those I will not speak."

Tal'Marin nodded and curled back up in Rith's arms. She had so many questions, but something told her she was intruding into areas that Rith had closed off and she did not want to anger the Firstwalker. There would be time for questions later she though as she drifted off into a dreamless sleep.

*************

It turned out that there was time, but no more discussion. For the next week she languished in the cabin. Rith was gone more often than not and took to sleeping out. The stated reason was so Tal'Marin could have the bed, but she did not believe it. In the first place she would have gladly welcomed the beautiful woman to share the bed. Since that first encounter she had begun to hunger for Rith's touch, for her attention, even just for her company. The proud Firstwalker seemed to be avoiding her however and Tal'Marin had to admit it was beginning to hurt. She hadn't done anything wrong and did not deserve the cold shoulder she was getting.

Tal'marin tried to re establish the intimacy of that night, but it only made matters worse. Rith seemed to have decided that she wanted nothing to do with her. The loneliness of the small cabin increased daily and Tal found herself loosing hope. She became lethargic and melancholy and this seemed to further drive Rith away.

One morning she rose early and dressed. Her chain shirt was ruined, but the jerkin that she wore underneath it was still serviceable. Her cloak she had mended over several nights alone in the little cabin. She was no seamstress, but stitch work was one of the many skills one acquired when you lived alone and far from people. She had just buckled on her sword belt and was stringing her bow when Rith walked in.

"Where are you going?" she asked. The words were harsh, not a question so much as a demand.

"To seek a Sha'logan," Tal said quietly.

"You foolish slip of a girl, I have already told you your weapons cannot harm them,"

"Perhaps, but I did not come here to spend nights alone in your bed and days alone in this cabin!" Tal burst out, her anger finally overcoming her.

"Get out! Let the snow demons take you for all I care," Rith spat and threw her bow down on the floor. Tal finished her preparations and started out the door, but she could not help herself and stopped to look back. Rith stood before the fireplace, literally shaking with some emotion Tal took to be anger.

"Thank you," she said in a whisper and turned quickly to leave. It would have surprised and perhaps unnerved the snow elf if she had looked back again. Da'Rithnial Chalandor, proud Firstwalker, buried her face in her hands and began to cry. Tears flowed down her cheeks as shuddering sobs wracked her frame.

****************

How many times Da'Rithnial Chalandor? Will you never learn? No one will ever return your love. Those you care most about are destined to hate you, it matters not if you show it or conceal it. Now you have sent that little one to certain doom in the cold wastes.

Rith collapsed before the fire. Always it was like this, her brother's words and taunts invading her mind when her defenses were weakest. Always he sought to strike where she was most vulnerable and that ever came back to Tala.

She had buried the memories deep and had managed to keep them under lock and key for so long, but the petite snow elf had broken the locks and now they flooded back. Tala dancing naked in the moon light, so fragile and ethereal. The first time they made love and all of the false starts and hesitancy. The laughter, companionship and eventual love that grew between them. That night, beneath the swaying pines where she had professed her love and Tala had returned it. The exchange of gemstones, which had sealed their bond.

The happy memories gave way to those she truly wished to forget. The first meeting with the dashing elf that would steal Tala away from her. The deterioration of their relationship that had ended on a cold night when Tala threw her stone back, in a fit of rage at Rith's pleadings and left to join her new love. Watching them together from afar and in secret, forever the outsider now.

The final memory, the one she could least bear and yet the last she had of her love. Returning from a long journey she had been confronted by an enraged Tala. The horrible accusations still cut her to her very core. Murderer! Vilest of all creatures! How many others? Too many. She had not even been told of what she was being accused before Tala cursed her name. She had been found guilty without even being allowed to know what charges she was expected to defend herself from. Her stunned silence was taken as proof f her guilt and Rith had fled when her once love actually drew her sword and prepared to attack.

Years later on a cold morning she had awakened to the certain knowledge that Tala no longer lived. She knew not how she knew, but she did. As the other Firstwalkers took to sleep she would know they were gone too, but Tala was the first and so none of them had been prepared for it. Such pain and emptiness were unbearable and for a while she considered killing herself. She had hidden from these memories, hidden from the sight of men and elves.

Now a small snow elf on an insane quest had wakened them. Wakened within her something she thought long dead. Never had she thought to love again. Now she was repeating past mistakes, allowing the small ranger to go to her death. It was so hopeless.

The stone she wore round her neck pulsed with light and pulled Rith from the horrible memories. There was no hope for her love, but she could make some small amends for her past. Perhaps. She stood suddenly and snatched up her bow. It was twilight outside, but she did not dare wait for morning. She set out into the semidarkness, leaving the cabin a shambles, unaware of the damage she had caused in her fit of remorse.

***************

Two days in the snow and cold had sapped her vitality more than they would have before meeting Rith. Tal could not say if that was because of her wounds, the long days of inactivity or the crushing loneliness. With only the eyes of Snowclaw to guide her she had finally found a set of tracks. They were fresh and led off into a deep grove of fir trees. The little eagle fluttered to her wrist and began to speak. Tal listened and smiled. He could see nothing through the tightly laced boughs and was against her going in after the beast. Tal and the eagle had a short argument, but he seemed to understand her urgency and relented, returning to the skies to watch over her and hopefully alert her of danger.

Tal drew her sword and plunged into the darkness beneath the trees. It was eerily silent, the snow and needles on the ground muffled even her footfalls. The trees grew closer together as she approached the heart of the grove and the tracks became so fresh that she could make an estimation of the creature's size. This one was not as big as the first she followed, but it was still enormous. Tal stepped into a small clearing and froze in place. Her prey stood before her. It seemed to sense her and reared up on its hind legs and snarled.

The Sha'logan charged and Tal set her feet to meet it. Even though she knew it was coming, the beast's speed surprised her and it was upon her before she was ready. Her blade descended in a deadly arc, but the Sha'logan was inside her guard and the blow merely glanced from its shoulder rather than splitting its skull. Tal was spun around by the impetus of the creature's charge and barely kept her feet. She could feel blood on her side and knew she had not totally evaded the claws, but she could not take the time to examine her wounds because the creature turned and charged again.

This time Tal was set, with her back to a large fir tree. She waited until the last possible second and threw herself out of the creature's path. Unable to cut that sharply he barreled on, striking his head against the tree with such force she heard it splinter under the impact. Tal leapt towards the stunned creature and brought her blade down two handed, with all the force in her small frame. The longsword whistled through the crisp air, the sun rippled on the polished bladed like fire, but it shattered like an icicle when it smote the beast's head.

Tal had only moments to register what had happened before a backwards blow of the creature's huge paw sent her sprawling into the snow. Lights danced in her head and time seemed to slow. The monster loomed over her now, blotting out the sun and she heard Snowclaw's warning scream. She knew she needed to move, to escape, but suddenly the melancholy that had seized her in the cabin crystallized into a certain knowledge that she no longer wanted to live. Best to pass here than to go on for ages alone and miserable. She sighed and closed her eyes and a soft smile graced her lips.

The monsters triumphant growl turned to a feral scream of pain in an instant. Tal opened her eyes to find it jumping madly around the clearing swatting at a smoldering arrow buried in its shoulder. Across the clearing Rith stood, bow in hand. She calmly drew another arrow and called out a single word before she released, the arrow burst into flame before striking the beast. It howled in animalistic rage and charged the tall woman, totally forgetting Tal in its blind need to reach its tormentor.

Rith dropped her bow and drew the strange curved sword. She spoke again in a commanding voice and the blade came alive with fire. The creature saw the flames and tried to halt its mad rush, but it was too late. The Firstwalker pirouetted out of its path and brought the blade down in a whistling arc that neatly sheared the creature's head from its neck.

"Are you all right?" Rith called as she ran to Tal.

"Yes, I am fine," the small elf said weakly.

"Fine my arse, you're a bloody mess," Rith groused, but Tal could see the relief flood her features as she examined the wounds. Rith dressed them quickly and expertly with dressings from the pouch she wore over her shoulder. Once done she stood and moved to the carcass of the Sha'logan.

Tal watched as Rith removed a strange crystal globe from her pouch and set it carefully upon the snow. It was perfectly round and so clear Tal had to look several times to make sure it was still there. The dark haired woman stood and then plunged the flaming sword into the creature's body. She seemed to be opening its chest cavity and after some work removed its black heart. A disgusting greenish black ichor dripped from the steaming organ. Rith's face showed disgust, but she placed the heart atop the orb and began to chant in a language that was unfamiliar to Tal. As the elf watched fascinated the organ slowly sank into the orb until it was totally encased in the clear crystal. Rith stopped chanting and wiped her brow with the back of her sleeve. She placed the orb back in her pouch and returned to Tal's side.

The Firstwalker gently brushed Tal's hair back and seemed on the verge of speaking, but her face hardened. She placed the pouch on the ground next to the elf and then sheathed her sword.

"Here is your prize. Your wounds are not deep, leave now and do not return," she said. Tal was speechless and could only watch mutely as the woman walked away and disappeared into the gloom under the trees.

****************

Dei' Nolan Aviandore was excited to see her and had many questions about all she had seen and done when she returned to Hoarfast. Tal'Marin gave him an accurate account, but omitted the cabin and the Firstwalker. For some reason she could not bring herself to think of Rith without great pain and tears. Her anger had passed long before she left the cold forests and high plateaus of Freyareth. It had been replaced by a sense of emptiness and loss that seemed unplumbable and left her feeling like a shell of her former self with a great empty black void in her center. When she had finished her narrative Dei had the servants bring in wine and sat back.

"You have done well, better than any could have expected. I know you would have done this for T'Larin without any hesitation, but I have offered a fine reward for each of the components. You have but to name what you desire and if it is in my power I will have it for you,"

"Dei, what do you know of the Firstwalkers?

"Where did you hear of them?" he asked, suddenly he seemed very intense, his stare boring into her, but he relaxed and went on before she could answer.

"I suppose I shouldn't be surprised, you are well traveled and have had dealings with many queer folk. Only a few of us, those in the very highest circles of the Schools of Magic know their tale. It is forbidden to discuss them with laymen, but in your case I will make an exception," he said.

"Thank you."

"The Firstwalkers are the living embodiment of the elements of the planet. Their origins are unknown, but some say they are gods, others, that they do not exist at all, and some few that they are the source stone of magic and when the last ceases to be, magic and all that has been created with it will crumble. There were eight of them, one for each element of the universe. That is the general knowledge,"

"Tell me of Da'Rithnial Chalandor," she asked. Dei started as if a bee had stung him.

"Speak not that name aloud!" He shouted. Guards rushed into the room, scanning for some hidden assassin. Dei's face was ashen and he seemed to be fighting some terrible battle of wills, but at last he sighed heavily and dismissed the guards. His eyes returned to Tal, no longer did he look at her with just the brotherly love she had come to expect, his eyes now held respect that they never had before.

"You have authentic knowledge, be very careful with it. The true names of the firstwalkers are known only to a handful of the most powerful mages. Calling upon one by name can grant extreme power, but there is a price to pay for it. I will use the shortened forms which hold no power, for me to call them by their true names or to even hear them invoked in my presence invites disaster.

What I tell you now must not go beyond the walls of this room. A strange request, considering what I tell you is not even known to be factual. Actual contemporary writings about the Firstwalkers are prizes that wizards fight deadly duels over. It is a branch of lore that interests me, but not one I am willing to risk my life over, so what I know can best be described as educated conjecture. Do I have your word that nothing said here leaves this room?"

When Tal nodded he sat back, sipped his wine and then started speaking again.

"The story of Rith is long and tragic. She is the embodiment of Fire in all its forms. Hot blooded, fiery tempered, and a temptress as well as guardian of the hearth and keeper of the flame that burns within each of us. She fell in love with her sister Tala whose element is light. For ages they were inseparable but eventually Tala saw the error of her ways and fell in love with an elf. So long ago was this that his name is unrecorded and even his tribe is disputed hotly. My personal opinion is that he was a sylvan elf. Tala was the patron spirit of the fearie folk and the sylvan elves have many of their characteristics. Tala and this Elf had many children and Rith, true to her nature was insanely jealous. One night while Tala was away with the children their house caught fire and her husband was consumed. Tala accused Rith and she of course denied any involvement. Tala refused to believe it and cursed her name. Rith was crushed, she wandered away on long lonely paths that none have trodden since.

Tala repented of her words and deeds when it was discovered that her lover had been performing a summoning of a fire elemental and apparently he failed to take all the necessary precautions. By this time Rith was gone and Tala realized what she had done. She tried desperately to find Rith and apologize, but she never succeeded. Her grief and regret overwhelmed her and on a sunny day she ascended to the top of Tiargas. This peak is the tallest in the Spine of the World chain and the sun never wholly sets on it. There she lay down and slept, returning to the light that she was made of. Since that time light has been a weaker force in the world.

Rith has not been seen since, unless you accept the tales of some travelers lost in the cold wastes of being rescued from freezing by a beautiful elfin woman with red skin. That is all of her story I know. I can tell you she is still awake and walking the earth somewhere, for the power of fire magic still waxes strong. When the Firstwalker for a form sleeps that form becomes less potent unless you have a focus. But now I have left history lessons and begun on practical application. I know you have no interest in that,"