The Girl in the Red Cloak Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
peaches07
peaches07
456 Followers

As the coronation day of the daughter neared, when the kind would abdicate his throne and retire, things got so bad that the king called for a meeting of his advisers, and they spent many days debating what was to be done. Those who supported the son would not bow to the rule of the daughter, and those who supported the daughter refused to bow before the son. Numerous assassination attempts had been made by both sides, though thankfully the son and daughter were well-guarded, and every attempt was foiled. At last the king came to a decision, and before a great crowd of his people he declared that if his country could not be unified under one rule, then he would divide it equally among his children, and let the citizens choose for themselves who they would serve under. The daughter got one half of the country, which she called Maharia, and the son took the other half and named it Lotharis.

"The citizens went their separate ways, sometimes entire families were divided, and the countries each grew and prospered in their own ways. After a couple generations, the two began to trade and became allies, which continued for a few hundred years. Only in the last few decades did the troubles start and the war break out. Kasimira has hopes of one day re-uniting our shattered countries, amending what that long-ago king did."

Clara was astonished. She'd never heard anything about the two countries having been one. She was surprised there were no stories about this, but she supposed it helped the war effort if they were just fighting strangers from a foreign land, rather than people that were descended from the same ancestors.

"I can't believe this isn't more widely known," she said.

"It is in Maharia. Not everyone knows, but far more than you Lotharisians. Everyone in Princess Kasimira's coalition is well acquainted with the details, at least as much as we can glean from the few scrolls of that time. It isn't as well recorded as we would like, but there is enough to understand the general idea. Personally, I would be content to merely end the war, and have peace between our two countries, but Kasimira longs for a reunion. She has hope that perhaps a marriage to Prince Randall will put an end to things once and for all, which is part of my message as envoy, though more generously worded, of course."

"But she's never met the Prince," said Clara. "What if she doesn't like him?" Lukas laughed.

"She's a princess. She's grown up knowing it was her duty to marry someone suitable and produce an heir for the royal line. So long as Prince Randall is agreeable to the idea and willing to give his female heirs the same chance the Mahrians give theirs, she is willing." Lukas pulled a wry face. "Royalty may have great power, but they also have great obligations as well. I wouldn't wish to be royal for the world. I like being able to choose my own women."

"Poor Kasimira," pondered Clara. "I never thought I would feel sorry for a princess, let alone a Maharian one. I hope for her sake Randall is a good man." An owl hooted somewhere in the darkness, and Clara wrapped her red Healer's cloak around her, suddenly extremely grateful for her position.

"He is against the war, if the news that has reached us is to be believed. For now, that is enough." Lukas rubbed his brow, and Clara could not help thinking that he had his work cut out for him. "I will ascertain the truth of the matter when I meet him in person, and find out his true character myself. I will not see my Lady Queen betrothed to a cruel or proud man." His hands clenched into fists as he spoke, and Clara had a fleeting moment of pity for any who would dare to speak against the princess in his presence, followed again by that hot feeling in her stomach, that feeling she didn't dare name jealousy.

"How well do you know the princess?" she asked, eaten up by the feeling in her gut.

"Quite well. I was assigned to her personal guard for a few years before she took me into her innermost circle." He glanced at Clara, amused. "Are you jealous, little Healer? Is that why you ask?"

"Of course not," scoffed Clara, hoping she was convincing. "It is immaterial to me whether you are courting one or a hundred girls back home, be they princesses or slaves!"

Lukas' laugh echoed off the nearby trees before he could silence himself, though by now the Lotharisian soldiers must be too far off to hear them anyway.

"Not to worry, Red, the princess is more like a sister to me, and as for other girls at home, well..." He swooped in and stole a kiss from Clara. "How could they compare to your exotic Lotharisian beauty?" Clara pulled a face of outrage at his impudence, but her knees still went weak at his touch. She could not deny her relief at hearing him dismiss any notion of a romance with the princess. After all, a Healer could never compare to royalty.

For a moment, she allowed herself a small fantasy, where the war was ended, the prince and princess wed, and the lands joined, and she and Lukas were together. He was used to traveling, perhaps he would not mind so much the nomadic life of a wandering Healer. Or they could settle down near the coast. If ever there was a place Clara could manage staying, it was there. Or- perhaps, they would end up near Lukas' majestic mountains. They sounded dazzling and amazing. Surely she could be happy staying there, if she had Lukas.

"Of course, my lack of relations with the princess doesn't mean I'm a free man, Red." His words ripped her from her reverie. "I still have my mission to complete, and until this war is over – which could be years from now – I can't afford to have anything tying me down. I might as well be wed to this cause. Until it's over, I'll be in perilous danger, and I couldn't put anyone else at risk. You understand that, right?"

Reluctantly, Clara nodded. His words made sense. She'd been a fool to dream otherwise. This war was bigger and more important than either of them, and his cause was a noble one. She couldn't ask him to abandon it for her. It would probably never work in the long run, anyway. She knew next to nothing about him, and he very little of her or a Healer's ways. Very likely they would both be unhappy in a matter of months, or less, and then it would all be for naught. The owl in the woods hooted again, a sad, lonely sound that seemed an echo of her heart. How quickly she'd turned from despising the arrogant man to envisioning a future with him. She must be very overwrought indeed. No doubt a few days rest and she'd never think of Lukas again, except a fleeting thought now and then.

So why did her heart wrench at the thought of never seeing him again?

"I'll leave in the morning. I've spent enough time here, though you are a mighty pretty distraction, and the only reason I'm able to continue. Still, better for both of us, hmm?" Lukas' mouth quirked over to one side, as if he didn't really believe what he was saying either.

"Of course," said Clara. "You must continue your mission. It's important for the good of all."

"I guess this must be goodbye then," Lukas sighed.

"I guess so," Clara agreed. Hesitantly, he leaned down, and pressed his lips to hers, softly, sadly, and with none of the urgency and hunger of earlier. Clara returned his kiss, her arms about him, embracing him, even as he cupped her face gently in his hands as though he was holding a rare treasure. They lingered that way for several moments before he finally broke away and offered to escort her the rest of the way out of the woods. Clara accepted, and they walked slowly, neither in a great hurry to part.

"Goodbye, little Healer," said Lukas upon reaching the edge of the woods. "Perhaps one day when all of this is over, we'll meet again."

Clara nodded. "Perhaps." She didn't believe it, and she could tell he didn't either, but she pulled herself together, gave him a small smile, and turned away, making her way out of the forest. Every footstep of hers seemed to fall as heavy as her heart. She glanced over her shoulder, and saw Lukas was still watching her walk away. It was unbearable, and she turned to face forward again, moving farther away from him bit by bit. Her steps grew even slower; she did not want to leave him.

"Lukas." She turned again. "Take me with you." She didn't know where that had come from. She had no business going out and attending to matters of war, other than healing soldiers. He laughed softly.

"No, Red, it's far too dangerous."

"Not for me," she persisted. "I'm a Healer. We go where we wish." It was true, no one would question a Healer moving through any town or city, though they might beg services of her. "Besides, if you got yourself into more... trouble, I could help you. I could heal you."

"No, I can't do that to you," Lukas said, shaking his head. "What if you were caught aiding a Maharian?"

"I'd just pretend you captured me for your own nefarious purposes. Healers are trained in the arts of healing, not self defense." She could see that for a moment, he was considering the idea. "Please," she continued, "I want to help end this war too." That appeared to affect him as none of her earlier statements had, and he sighed and stared at her.

"Alright, Red. I'll no doubt regret this, and so will you, but alright. Be here at dawn, in the clearing. We leave at first light." His voice was riddled with chagrin, but Clara's heart took flight in her chest, and her feet followed suit as she flew back to the village. She had to tell Bimi she was leaving, and pack her few belongings – a change of clothes and her Healer's herbs, but she would be back.

Tomorrow her adventure would begin.

peaches07
peaches07
456 Followers
12