All Comments on 'The Grass on the Other Side'

by Just Plain Bob

Sort by:
  • 48 Comments
mike2710mike2710about 14 years ago
True true

You have written a true ending. Thanks for the information and the story

jasonnhjasonnhabout 14 years ago
Quietly accurate slice of life

Probably not as exciting as some of the cheating stories but sadly more realistic. A slow building dissatisfaction with married life and an exploration for relief outside the marriage. The final paragraph is a very powerful discussion about cheating. All this energy is invested in the cheating, the anticipation, the anger against the spouse, the desire, the planning, etc. and yet there is little or no effort placed in the marriage, no watering and fertilizing done in their own yard. Why? Is it the mentality of the cheater to look outside the marriage while a non-cheater looks into the marriage and therefore doesn't cheat to begin with? This woman seems to have learned a lesson and has focused her energy into her marriage. Her husband was guilty of being lazy about supporting the marriage as well and has hopefully learned his lesson. He didn't deserve to be cheated on and perhaps he should have been told the truth about the hookup she had. I, personally, am one for having a completely honest relationship, however not everyone is the same way. Perhaps it is best left hidden. Will she cheat again? Who knows? She has the right attitude and is doing the right things. Maybe the little side step outside her marriage was like a vaccine against future such actions. She got it right when she talked with her husband. If she has to take action the proper sequence is to ask for a divorce, THEN to hook up with someone else. Nice gritty story.

AnthonyTAnthonyTabout 14 years ago
Anthony

It is not uncommon for couples to find that after the kids are gone there is little attraction left for each other. Kids have a way of sucking the life out of a marriage and the husband and wife become partners in a child care business. I speak from experience and know how easy it is to meet women. I haven't strayed but could have several times. This story hits the nail on the head!

Harryin VAHarryin VAabout 14 years ago
When it is Justified? -- if Ever .. THAT is the question

This is actually one of the better stories by JPB and presents an interesting dilemma. Does one spouse neglecting the other spouse justify cheating?

For some of us the answer is clearly no ....for some of us the answer is clearly yes .....and for some of us it is in between.

For my perspective it depends on what the actual neglect is AND it depends on what the other spouse is doing to communicate their dissatisfaction with the marriage and relationship.

A husband or wife working hard on a special project... To get that promotion... That they would BOTH benefit from... Never in any way justifies any sort of cheating.

More often however the case is that both spouses are stuck in a RUT after many years. That is the nature of modern life in western society. The internal angst within one's self can be a very strong motivational factor for stepping out on the marriage.

However it often is a case of the dynamics of the relationship as opposed to one particular spouse being 100% wrong. Keeping one's mouth shut because they don't wanna rock the boat is just as much as being in a rut as having the same sex week after week.

In this case it "appears" that the husband is simply being a neglectful asshole. I can understand the wife's reaction to the husbands phone call that again he is going to stay out late drinking and playing poker with his buddies...

BUT let's not forget that the wife was on the way to meet another man to cheat/ Fuck.

The wife saying " hey when was the last time you took ME out?" is of course 100% legit. Saying it on the road as she is driving to met another man to fuck.... is a little late.

Was this the first time that she voiced his displeasure over his Seeming neglect? Had she mentioned this before? These are all important aspects to this story which are not really discussed so it's hard to say whether not the wife cheating was in some partial way justified.

Poizon69Poizon69about 14 years ago

The last paragraph of this story makes the most sense. The wife admits she didn't need Todd to get her marriage back on track. And she doesn't really know why she had sex with Todd. But then if she hadn't cheated on her husband then there wouldn't be a story would there.

fregenfregenabout 14 years ago
A Sad Slice of Life

I guess neglect could be called a type of abuse. But as she herself, and others here, have noted she could have called her husband on it. After she did he seems to have gotten his act together. In my mind the cheating was not justified - at least not at that point.<P>

It appears she has gotten away with it. It appears she has learned from it. It appears she will not do it again. It appears both of them are now happier. So maybe there is a silver lining. But next time do the upfront thing and divorce him first.<P>

Good story Bob. Thanks for sharing.

louguy35louguy35about 14 years ago
Ah! How lovely!

Just what we need. Adultery without consequences. Of course she will cheat again, and probably again and again after that. After all, no consequences.

bruce22bruce22about 14 years ago
Excellent Story

which runs counter our literotica theory that cheating always is more exciting because it is done behind the SO's back. Personally I would expect to lost my erection if I tried to cheat..... but then I do not want to cheat. The lack of interest of the partner has be turned around as quickly as possible.

Enjoyed it.

oldwayneoldwayneabout 14 years ago
One of your best in a while.

Although it was still a cheating tale, it was better than your average fare. I hate cuckolded wimp stories. This was not that and the wife kind of learned her lesson.

zed0zed0about 14 years ago
O Boy Lucky Howie!

It's a good thing Todd wasn't a better fuck, now he gets to keep his cheating wife. I hadn't read any JPB stories in awhile, now I remember why.

BobNbobbiBobNbobbiabout 14 years ago
Marriage

Sounds like the story of a lot of successful marriages. Sex serves a lot of purposes beyond titillation.

striker1017striker1017about 14 years ago
I just love

these stories of unprotected sex without knowing anything about the other person. The greener grass should have been her grave, after getting aids. Maybe then she could have appreciated what she had.

PistolpackinpetePistolpackinpeteabout 14 years ago
Not much here.....

....in the way of story or character development. But it makes a good point. So does an unnervingly cogent Harry.

terrydavidterrydavidabout 14 years ago
So we get the POV from the cheating wife instead of the wimp/cluck - interesting!

So the highly intelligent female character says;

"I could have done all these things before Todd and probably have achieved the same result and I have no idea why I didn't. In a way I'm glad I had my little fling with Todd because it showed me that the grass is not always greener on the other side of the fence and that instead of climbing that fence I should have been watering and fertilizing the grass I had."

A cheating slut who is clearly a "Mensa International" candidate for her clear and concise critical thinking skills. Nice touch, JPB - but "once a slut, always a slut". So when is the follow up story where the naive male character forgets to take out the garbage and she finds yet another excuse to cheat on him? Credit given for having the male character become such a pathetic excuse as usual.

sexmatesexmateabout 14 years ago
Well JPB I haven't read one of yours for a while.

Mostly because of the wimp husbands you insist on putting in your stories that make them so un-real. So the stories seam way to contrived and implauseable.

But I read this one because it was written from the women's POV.

So now that I read it this was real to life. Will her guilt ever betray her?

Only time will tell but this lesson and your last paragraph is a lesson to many have learned the hard way, and some with devastating results.

"I could have done all these things before Todd and probably have achieved the same result and I have no idea why I didn't. In a way I'm glad I had my little fling with Todd because it showed me that the grass is not always greener on the other side of the fence and that instead of climbing that fence I should have been watering and fertilizing the grass I had."

With that being said: If anyone is contemplating greener grass I suggest opening your mouth and talking to your spouse. I can bet in most cases it will have some seriously positive results!

SilverWolf78754SilverWolf78754about 14 years ago
Wow, She actually learns without the threat of divorce

Totally different than most of your stories. I liked it.

woodmanonewoodmanoneover 13 years ago
Well Done as Usual

The story flowed well and I felt like I knew the main characters. Obviously the husband was acting like an asshole but I don't believe that justified the wife's decision to cheat on her husband and her marriage.

She should have had the "talk" with her husband instead of looking at the supposed greener grass.

As one other comment said, if she had behaved in a rational manner we wouldn't have had a story.

Somewhat different than your usual tale, but I liked it. Thanks for your hard work.

BigJohn601BigJohn601over 13 years ago
A fun little story that takes the sting off a cheating wife.

She took the ball and ran with it and her husband actualy benefited in the long run..

saratusaratuabout 13 years ago
Terry David ;

Was correct in his assesment of this story, just another stupid hubby turned into a wimpcuck. R.T.

FD45FD45about 13 years ago
Yup

This was a well developed and plausible story. All five

Rockyderek_caRockyderek_caalmost 13 years ago
Oooh

Very good moral to the story at the very end. CFM pumps go a long way!!

Huedogg2Huedogg2over 12 years ago
I agree with saratu

She cheats on him, and she gives him an ultimatum. The husband is the last to know

justplainjoejustplainjoeover 12 years ago
Rarely comment..but this!!!

The commentators giving favorable marks to a cheating wife are just as pathetic as the wife in this story.

chytownchytownover 12 years ago
Good Read Bob.

Thanks for sharing.

Northern_WriterNorthern_Writeralmost 12 years ago
Good Read

I suspect this story describes a situation that happens a lot more than people realize. One partner has a fling, realizes it was all sizzle and no steak, and goes back to the marriage and the other one never realizes anything happened.

Huedogg2Huedogg2about 11 years ago
one of those JPB stories I hate

She cheats then gives him an ultimatum but of course she left out the good parts. I don't know, Honey we need to have a sex life but I've been fucking Todd but I'm telling you we need a sex life. No one believes in the truth any more.

OverthefallsOverthefallsalmost 11 years ago
Another cheater getting a free pass.

So the wife needed to cheat before realizing she should TALK to her husband? She should have been honest with the husband before or even after she cheated. He deserved to know the truth. But many people fall into this "comfortable" life style and forget that it's still important to talk to and pay attention to their spouse. Still like to see some punishment dealt to the cheating wife.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
I sure hope that Howard figured it out

That he spent the next few months selling things off, hiding money and finding a new job. In preparation for his dumping the cheating slut. And when he was ready I hope he simply took everything he could and left her. Just a note on the kitchen table along side his wedding ring and cell phone that told her he was happy to be rid of a cheater and that she could contact his attorney who had his power of attorney so she could sell the house. Never talk to her again. SWEET!

KarenEKarenEalmost 9 years ago
No...

"I could have done all these things before Todd and probably have achieved the same result and I have no idea why I didn't."

No, you SHOULD have done those things.

I've said it before, if you're not happy with your sex life, TALK to your partner!

And if you can't fix things, or work out SOME accommodation you can both live with, get a DIVORCE, and THEN look for greener pastures.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
All good until Todd's wife sent the pictures to Howard

Then she found herself exposed to all their family and friends and divorced. Even her Mother had called her a cheap slut. You play, you pay.

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
My love/hate relationship with Bob

Bob,

There's no doubt that you have talent. You can and have written stories that draw huge crowds and comments. Some stories I like and some bother me. This is another one that I have enjoyed. Thank you for this story. But you drive me completely mad when you don't write the next part. Aarrgghh!

4.9* you magnificent bastard!

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
No

So you basically wrote a short story in which the cheater wins. Really wrong.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
UGH!!!!

...And hubby remains clueless! Bad, bad story!

26thNC26thNCover 5 years ago
Trashy

Another JPB for the toilet. Cheating without consequences is just wrong.

DiscoveringUtopiaDiscoveringUtopiaover 5 years ago
So it boils down to cock size...

He knew how to use what he had but if he'd been larger than hubby and rung her chimes she'd have kept up the affair. So, if hubby misses one more "appointment" she'll go looking for that chime ringer. Just a matter of time.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago

Good women’s POV story, but didn’t really build any tension or real heat in the sex. Keep writing, but work on the ‘erotic’ in your stories.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
But Howard knew about Todd

Just over a year later she received divorce papers. She found out that he had lost all their money speculating on stocks and that their home was under water. She left the marriage with her maiden name, her clothes and her car. Howard moved to another Country, continued working for his Company and retired quite comfortably on all the money he had stashed away. Dumb bitch.

imhaplessimhaplessover 4 years ago
Very entertaining

5* from me.

26thNC26thNCover 4 years ago
Again

Didn't like the cheating bitch any better this time.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
One of your best!

I think that this story is the closest to reality of any I’ve read on this site. I tend to think that one off’s like this happen much more often than a lengthy affair. Ignore the naysayers. Most only want a BTB or a Jackoff story.

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xover 4 years ago
Thoughts

Of COURSE there will be passion with a new guy it's the thrill of the new. It's like with a car - You get it shiny and new, and it's fun to drive, but after a while it's just transportation. Then the new models come out, and your eyes light up. Most people realize that they still owe money on the first car, and wait until it's paid off, or the NEED a new car. Some people keep trading "up," and are forever in debt.

"I needed to know that he found me attractive." - Maybe it's because I'm just a clueless male, but I never got this. You've already attracted and got a man. What doe it matter if the whole world is attracted or repulsed by you? How does that change your life?

"wondered what was wrong with me that he wouldn't even try for a goodnight kiss." - Once again, what does it matter? Especially where you weren't planning on letting it go any further?

"I could have done all these things before Todd and probably have achieved the same result" - Bingo!

She's lucky that it wasn't "better" with Todd!

Just_WordsJust_Wordsover 4 years ago
It may have ended well...

...but it was still betrayal. That's not loving. Her only communication was to deliver an ultimatum rather than growing closer to her husband. In the end, she got what she wanted, which looked to her husband like love.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
2 years later Howard stopped having sex with me at all.

After a month I again gave him the ultimatum "Üse me or loose me". What he said shocked me to the core.

He said "Well I guess Todd will be a willing substitute."

I knew then that I was in trouble. Howard then said that the reason he had not had sex with me for over a month was that he was not certain he was not getting sloppy seconds or worse, pity sex and he could just not take that.

For the next six months we co-existed in the same house. He slept in the spare room and nothing I did seemed to matter. I apologized a million times. I tried to explain what happened and why. Nothing worked.

After 6 months I came home from work dog tired and realised something was wrong. After checking the house ALL of Howard's stuff was gone.

The next day I rang his work only to be told he quit because he had a new job overseas. I tried to find out who with but no-one would tell me. At work that day I was served the grounds being Irreconcilable Differences but the letter from Howard left me in no doubt that he had found out about my one night Todd but Howard said the affair started way before.

I can tell you the grass on the other side of this fence was dead and dry.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

No punishment for what she did. No regrets. Shit story

dark2donut2dark2donut2over 2 years ago

BTB crowd gets disappointed. LOL

OdessaLesOdessaLesabout 2 years ago

She was a very COLD person, an unfaithful cheater, who had no remorse for what she had done. Then gives her husband a ultimatum which he complied with. Why didn’t she do this before making very precise plans to go out of her way to cheat. She would have gotten the same results without being unfaithful. But at least she had some fun, and after all, this is just a story and a pretty good one.

miket0422miket042211 months ago

A more thought provoking story than most from JPB.

It's nice that she didn't immediately become a round heeled slur after the first time with Todd and instead reinvested in her marriage.

I get the feeling that Todd was probably the same sort of lover with his wife that Howie was with her. The oral and him giving her 5 orgasms was probably due to the newness of the situation with a new partner more so than him normally being that good.

AnonymousAnonymous1 day ago

Reality. She carries the memory the rest of her life, he carries on in ignorant bliss. Fitting.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userJust Plain Bob@Just Plain Bob
Just a Dirty Old Man (of course I have been one since I was thirteen)who likes to write about the things that I've seen and been exposed to in my life. There is a little bit of me in almost all of my stories and in some of them there is quite a lot. I leave it to the reader ...