The Last 24 Hours Ch. 08

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Hiram waved his hand in dismissal "Fech! I don't mean those cheap mockeries. I mean rings with ten to twelve bands each. They would only fit together one way and you had to have the complete set and the complete set of its mate to put them together properly. You can only assemble them by starting the two primary bands back to back and then working the sequence."

He held up a finger and indicated for us to wait. He went into his office quickly and came back with a royal blue velvet pouch. He spilled the contents out onto a jeweler's cloth on the table. It looked to be a jumble of rings piled together. He separated out the rings into two piles of interconnected bands and then said "This is a set that my father made in the nineteen twenties. Let me show you how they work." As he spoke he selected one band from each pile and began assembling the rings. It took only a couple of minutes but when he was finished he held two magnificent rings whose individual patterns were a beautiful mosaic, but when you placed the two together properly the patterns merged to become an exquisite rose surrounded by a heart.

Each ring was composed of one thick band and nine thinner bands. The bands were of gold and silver and it was the differences in the metals that created the rose and drew the eyes to where they merged properly. Beth's eyes lit with avarice and I knew what our wedding rings would look like. I looked at Hiram and with a nod said "Can you take our sizes and make us a set like this. Exactly like this."

Hiram frowned slightly and said "Actually this is not the best work" He held up his hand as we started to protest "When my father made this he could not afford the platinum for the rings and had to adjust the design accordingly. I would like to give my fathers true design life and you your wedding rings, if you have no objection, of course. It also flows in the pattern set by your promise ring as well. The central bands were to be of gold and then three bands each of white gold, silver, and platinum to form the rose with a stone in the center of the flowers."

I looked at Beth and at her nod said "Begin as soon as you can Hiram. How long do you think the rings will take?"

I looked at the old man and saw a tear run down his cheek. "I have waited forty years for someone to be worthy of this Alex. I'm glad it was you. I can begin work on the rings Monday, but it will take time for such a work to be complete. At least two months maybe more. Remember we are talking about twenty separate rings here. Each having an intricate pattern"

I smiled and said "That's fine, Hiram. As much as I'd like to marry Beth this afternoon the law says I have to wait sixty days after the divorce is final in case I change my mind." (Like that's gonna happen!) "So it will be just fine. Take your time and I will give my fiancée the most exquisite work you have ever done as her wedding gift." As I spoke the word fiancée Beth gasped and I hugged her tight. "For now, though, I have a promise to keep to the lady and we should be going."

Beth looked at me in confusion "What promise?"

I smiled and said "I have a ravishment to complete, or have you changed your mind?" As I waggled my eyebrows Beth blushed and Hiram laughed.

"Go! Go! Away with you! My poor heart can't take the tension you two are generating. I'll get started on the rings first thing Monday, Alex. You and Beth are welcome to check up on things whenever you like." In a softer tone he said "Now go show this lady how special she is to you."

With that he had ushered us out of the shop and through the armored door. When the armored door closed and the outer door opened to let us exit we left the building and headed back to our car. As we pulled out of the parking lot I took Beth's hand and brought it to my lips. "I love you more with every passing moment Beth."

As I drove Beth asked "Remember I said I had a stop to make?" At my nod she said "Can you stop at Cloud Nine and wait for me in the car?" I quirked an eyebrow at her in suspicion as I drove off. Finally I said slowly "I suppose so."

Her cheeks flushed with color and she said "Thank you." in a small quiet voice.

********

Cloud Nine was a New Age/Biker/Head shop. Beth had told me that Maddi had introduced her to the shop a few years ago. They sold candle making supplies, oils, incense, aroma therapy candles, nutritional supplements, and other things of that sort. They also sold pipes, bongs, rolling papers, lighters and assorted paraphernalia. They also sold motorcycle wear, leather wear and were a licensed Harley-Davidson Dealer. I had never been in the shop itself but Beth had informed me long ago that they were THE source locally for quality incense and massage oils. She had often made gifts of such things to me, and I must admit I was quite fond of the scent of the jasmine, sandalwood, and cherry blossom incense she routinely gave me.

The front of the shop was nondescript for the most part. Only a single neon sign on the front of the grey building proclaiming "Cloud Nine" gave away the contents of the building. I waited patiently (Yeah, right!) in the car for Beth to come out. She emerged carrying a large brown bag with the top rolled down and clutched firmly in her delicate looking hands. It appeared to be quite full and Beth was blushing and behaving oddly. She stood next to my window as she asked "Pop the trunk, please?"

I quirked an eyebrow at her and then pushed the button on the dash to release the trunk latch. Beth smiled and looked at me with both eagerness and trepidation on her face. She was nervous and I didn't know why. As she closed the trunk I looked in the rear view mirror and saw her wave at me. I smiled and turned to wave back. She got into the passenger seat. Beth turned to me and pulled me into a passionate kiss. I seem to loose track of time when Beth kisses me; either that or time stops. I don't know which, don't much care either I'll just enjoy it while it lasts. Beth pulled away from my lips and said "I think we should head back to the hotel before I rape you right here in the parking lot."

I grinned like a maniac as I said "Oh Sweets, don't you know you can't rape the willing."

She smiled and said "Drive fast Casanova, I'm hot enough to melt your seats and this is a rental" I put the car in gear and did my best to break the world land speed record without getting a ticket.

12