All Comments on 'The Last Chimes of Fall'

by laptopwriter

Sort by:
  • 244 Comments
oshawoshawalmost 10 years ago

Thank you for sharing this masterpiece.

disturbedhrtdisturbedhrtalmost 10 years ago
Finally

A well done story

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 10 years ago
Sorry, I just couldn't finish it.

My wife was recently diagnosed with incurable stage IV cancer. I simply could NOT finish your story. Maybe next year.

RhomanovRhomanovalmost 10 years ago
Well Done!

An awesome tale.

x_witless_xx_witless_xalmost 10 years ago
I get real disappointed

when I click on a story with a red and it's 10 pages long. First page beautifuly writ - but not gonna get into it. Too long for me. I'm not going to admit that I have the attention span of a gnat but ...where was I? No rating.

TavadelphinTavadelphinalmost 10 years ago
Well no shit -

He had enough pain for 4 men and still lived a good life in the end -

Good for him and them -

He could have gotten past it if it were important enough - he did not because it was not and the end justified him.

Hell of a story and it is not really a sad ending it is a very happy one - just not here and now -

Awesome

overthehillmedicoverthehillmedicalmost 10 years ago
Touching

I like many in life that have loved and lost will have a heavy heart for all he has gone through. Nice read. Thanks for the story.

gordo12gordo12almost 10 years ago
Get your facts straight

Ok bamboo rakes don't last a generation. Who could believe anything on the next 10 pages with that fact soooo wrong.....

Seriously it was an awesome story and I shed a tear at the end. Being in the twilight of life myself the thought of losing the love of your life like that is always at the back of your mind. 5*

jacsrjacsralmost 10 years ago
A truly Wonderful Story

I really loved this story, it was entertaining, Heart Breaking, Sad, yet showed compassion, truly a very nice story.

I liked how you brought this story from High School through his loves, and right to the end of his life by joining Sandy.

This story will require rereading just to enjoy it again, and to catch the parts that are sometimes missed when reading a story of this magnitude.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 10 years ago
It's hard to write . . .

when you're crying. Thank you.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 10 years ago

enjoyed immensly every word!

ResidentWeavilResidentWeavilalmost 10 years ago
Sappy, cliche

And extremely moving. Very well done.

Sadly, I doubt the rating will remain as high as it is since it will be savaged by both the BTB and cuck crowds.

But I thank you. ( damn allergies)

daedfishdaedfishalmost 10 years ago
wonderful

i cried and was happy at the same time. touching story.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 10 years ago
Mmmmmmmmmmmm

Wow. Wonderful.

PultoyPultoyalmost 10 years ago
Excellent

This is a great effort on your part LTW, well written, loaded with passion, compassion, angst and joy. The way I see it, if you can write this well about them, you must know those emotions very well.

The readers are stirred and moved. That is to be witnessed in their comments about being both in tears and joy.

You've done a superb job of rousing the emotions of empathy, anger, sadness, happiness, pity and who knows what all? Rousing emotions; isn't that the best gift of a writer? I think so. 5*

Best regards,

-Pultoy

IronDragonIronDragonalmost 10 years ago
Dammit!

LTW, you and oshaw are great at writing tear jerkers! I had to wipe the tears from my eyes just to finish this one! Pardon me while I go give my wife and daughter a hug.

5 Stars.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 10 years ago
That was a great story and a real tear jerker ending

It's to bad Bret could not forgive kris , the affair never should have happened, they had a great life together when she slipped , they had a beautiful family . His heart was broken she was repentant , but he could not. Forgive her .they still loved each other, yet time never healed his wound. So he meets Sandy years later and is in love again,and both not having a relationship for years fall into a sexual relationship and marry. A little to fast but the author makes the story work . Then the sad ending.((Istill do not get those women haters and there sick comments who post on this site there virile comments. All I can say is get help!))

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 10 years ago
4*s

Not very original . Definitely a very well written story.

The powerful emotional impact makes up for the mundane plot . Much better overall

than your previous work . Good job .

Hey, you kept Wheeling in the suburbs . No geographic switcheroo,lol.

AMerryMan

pumpop201pumpop201almost 10 years ago
I loved this story.

I simply loved this story. Good plot and good character development. It took me a while to read the last paragraphs as I had to continually remove my glasses to wipe my eyes.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 10 years ago
Nice Story

Unashamedly a tear jerker but well written with mostly decent people who deal with their issues and choices like adults. The main weakness in my view was the Kris/Jerry relationship which you skipped over as quickly and superficially as possible. Why would Kris risk such devastation for casual sex with the class clown? To be fair, male authors in general do a pretty poor job of explaining why women stray.

hopelessly_otakuhopelessly_otakualmost 10 years ago
Fantastic story

Ah!! To have lived and loved and lost and loved again

sugnasugnaalmost 10 years ago
Great True Loving Wives Tale

5, great story, well written and no reason to say more except, thanks for writing it!

Richie4110Richie4110almost 10 years ago
Fantastic

Thank you for a great story.

5*

ace4869ace4869almost 10 years ago
A Beautiful story

Thanks for sharing it with us.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 10 years ago
absolutely fantastic!

Truly, a story that touches the deepest recesses of one's emotions. No doubt, it's more than a 5! Thanks for sharing! Surely, I'll be reading this story over and over again! Hoping for more to come!

Mostera1Mostera1almost 10 years ago

Poignantly beautiful

Thank you

M1•••••

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 10 years ago
Great Story

Immense joy and unbearable pain with a beautiful ending.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 10 years ago
WOW

WOW

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 10 years ago
I actually had to rearrange my schedule to allow for the time.....

to read this beautiful story. Thank you LTW, it was so worth it!

I was worried that this would be a tale of woe, filled with sadness and pain. Instead, although he had to endure serious grief and betrayal, he didn't allow it to own his life. He stayed a "GREAT" guy, he drew people to him, and formed lasting friendships, he treated his ex, and daughters well. He had forgiven her, and moved on. Yes, this COULD have been told as a very sad story, and probably some who read it will take it that way. I say, those who would have, merely skimmed the pages. You fill every paragraph with a man who has a great love for life, even in the last moments of his own. It was a life lived well. It gives hope to the nice guys out there, that it is possible to keep high standards, and enjoy profound love without making compromises to your core values. Again, LTW, well worth the 10 pages....5 stars all DAY!

This is what real writing is, and what the LW category should be all about. THANKS!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 10 years ago
NOT SURE

I'm not quite sure about this piece. I found myself trying to understand why the story became blurry at times. This caused confusion and at times distress. Other times I was happy but still things didn't seem clear. I think it was maybe one of the best stories I have read here but possibly should have been put under "mind control". UMM THANKS....I think

northlandernorthlanderalmost 10 years ago
A great story

Each time I look at the authors names for that day, and I see Laptopwriter, I get ready to read a good story. Yet again you have stirred emotions with a heart warming story of a life well lived. Excellent.

katranmankatranmanalmost 10 years ago
Superb

Tears are still falling as I write this... 5*****

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 10 years ago
Great Story

This was a great piece of work. Love will conquer all if you just keep pushing for happiness......

betrayedbylovebetrayedbylovealmost 10 years ago
Damn

What are you doing to us with this tale? It seemed to draw every emotion I have in my body. Excellent tale of life, love and eternity. Please continue writing.

Five Large Stars

rightbankrightbankalmost 10 years ago
should have known the outcome from the opening

just didn't know what the journey would be. it was poignant, eventful, romantic, painful, and heartbreaking. I loved that he was able to find a woman who loved and appreciated him. I was sorry that she had to die such a horrible death. I wish you could have ended it with smiles on both of their faces as they happily watched the paintbrush fill in the evening sunset with their arms around each other on the swing listening to the wind chime. looking forward to their future together, healthy, alive, and in love.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 10 years ago
Literotica

Definitely one of the best stories I've ever read!

patilliepatilliealmost 10 years ago
Wow, the power of the last two pages!!!!

Lot of narrative to wade thru-but man oh man the last two pages were so powerfula nd evoked much emotion. What a wonderful picture you paint in end.

Great job thx for your wfforts! Not a 5 but real good cause of the ending

checkaho013checkaho013almost 10 years ago
WOW

Made my nose run like a habanero.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 10 years ago
Superb! Thank you for sharing your talent.

Super story and excellently written.

lonewolf3307lonewolf3307almost 10 years ago
Outstanding story by any measure...

... and you certainly captured the emotion of the moment with that ending. Again, outstanding.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 10 years ago
* * * * * 10 * * * * *

Beautiful...Thank you!

RTnTNRTnTNalmost 10 years ago
Excellent story... 5 stars

Magnificently crafted, beautifully written story. Thank you.

SigintSigintalmost 10 years ago
Damn

Perhaps the most selfless gift you ever could have made was posting this as LW, and not Romance.

Thank you.

tazz317tazz317almost 10 years ago
LIFE ALWAYS TELLS US,,TO HAVE AND HOLD 6 FRIENDS

if only for pall-bearers, but for a Man to remember 3 Loves when in a crisis, he may be blest. TK U MLJ LV NV

SplitAcesSplitAcesalmost 10 years ago
Don't settle

Was my take on this. Even with a life as well lived as his; it takes two to tango. The sad thing is, as perfect as you may believe your life is, it's not all up to you; as his first two loves showed him. I find it hard to say he loved Sandy more than Kris. The difference was how she loved him back. Thank you for an incredibly beautiful and inspiring story! I intend to ratchet my efforts up in striving to be a better person henceforth; and I can't praise you more than that!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 10 years ago
Wow

I'm sitting here in tears, from both the utter beauty of this story, and the realization of how far short my life is, of these three loves he had co-created. Thank you so much for sharing this story at no charge, and for the story itself.

DjshengDjshengalmost 10 years ago
How?...

How could you write such a beautiful sorry and not be famous?... I'm sorry but I almost shed a tear. I haven't done anything like that in vet 8 years. How?... This was brilliant. Extremely well done!

lance_spearmanlance_spearmanalmost 10 years ago
Lovely story

A lot like A Little Bit of Death by Slirpuff, and also in the Loving Wives Hall of Fame.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 10 years ago
Fantastic!!

Tragically beautiful. Your way with words and the descriptions of his three loves was magnificent

This story had it all.

Easy 5

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 10 years ago
Really?

It's funny, but this should be in the fantasy section, no? Grow up, sheep!

thecarolinadreamerthecarolinadreameralmost 10 years ago
GREAT COMMENTS

I don't have time to read 10 pages right now, but when I started reading the comments I just couldn't stop. I did skim over enough of the story to know I'll come back to it. TO THOSE FEW WHO DIDN'T SEE THIS AS A GOOD STORY, IF NOT A GREAT ONE, I SUGGEST YOU RECONSIDER THE PROBLEM. IS IT POSSIBLE YOU ARE SELECTING YOUR STORIES FROM THE WRONG CATEGORY?

laptopwriter, I'm holding off on a rating until I finish reading the story, but it sure looks good so far. As a writer who has had limited success getting people to buy my books on Kindle, I really think you have a winner here. If you have any for sale, I'd spring for one or two at least, just to study your style.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 10 years ago
Great work, Sir.

Having just fallen into a desparate medical condition and faced mortality in a close way I found your story a very real and heartfelt one. A needed cry brought me great solace in my own time. I thank you.

kjohns2001kjohns2001almost 10 years ago
Lovely

One of the best stories I've ever read. It would make a fantastic book.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 10 years ago
Why would Kris act that way?

Laptopwriter,

Another well written moving story. The one weakness in the whole tale is Kris's affair. It just doesn't ring true that she would have a casual affair with a "funny friend" given her deep love for Brent that you describe. What was happening in her life that she would trade her love for "clowning around" sex? How could she so easily cheat on her one true love and devoted father of her two daughters? Why would she act that way when she knew it might destroy her marriage? You really need to lay a better foundation for her infidelity or her tryst with jerry feels like an author-manipulated plot device to make Brent suffer one more time. (And then after not dating for nine years, Kris finds her future husband so quickly after her heart-to-heart talk with Sandy! Really?). Perhaps describing her explanations and rationalizations in more counseling sessions would have allowed you to make her self-destructive cheating more understandable. More "counseling talk" might also have allowed you to justify why Brent could still love Kris nine years after their divorce, but could not be with her except as the mother of his children.

Keep writing your excellent stories. You raise the quality of Literotica every time you submit a story.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 10 years ago
Thank,s for reminding me.

Very touching. I,m 74 and I got it. Yes, if you wanted to wright two or three more

chapters to smooth out the trivial rinkles, OK but I wood not have enjoyed your

story any more than I did. Thanks for the memories.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 10 years ago
Beautiful

no more to say (a romantic)

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 10 years ago
Wrong category.

Should be in romance. For that - 1* !

Ariel69Ariel69almost 10 years ago
Excellent story but wrong category

I truly enjoyed it. I couldn't put it down but it was definitely in the wrong category.

oshawoshawover 9 years ago

I'd like to address the last couple of comments. When you have a great story from a superb writer like laptopwriter, there will be elements that would meet the criteria of submitting the story in a different category. The author elected to submit the story on LW. I for one am glad he did. This story definitely fits the criteria of a(n) LW story. Given laptopwriter experience in crafting stories, I will defer to his judgment as to what category he wishes to submit his stories.

JWrenJWrenover 9 years ago
Heart-breaking

Tender and sensitive account of one man's major loves and the attendant pains. Sad and distressing at times but, ultimately, joyful reflections on a life blessed with dynamic affairs of the heart. And all, fittingly, climaxed in a heart-breaking finale.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
the best

If this story does not provoke your emotions you are the tin man!

phil2213phil2213over 9 years ago
Absolutely intense reading frothed with a myriads of emotions.

This was entirely one of the best ofhe best stories by a superb writer. I can't believe the nitpickers expounding on which category this story should be in when you have an awesome well written piece like this. Perhaps professional jealousy is the only logical explanation I could fathom. Thank you so much for sharing yogurt expertise!!!

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Splendid

Make me cry damn it!!! 5 stars

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
what a gem

This is my first read at this site. How I got here I do not know.....superb.....I am not the tin man and this got to me....Bravo

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Wow! What a great story!

I haven't read a good story like that in awhile. Bravo!

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Wow!

There is little else to say but ...WOW!!

5*

PC

leviayersleviayersover 9 years ago

thank you. 5 amazing talent

hebert100hebert100over 9 years ago
wow

what a powerful ending. brings tears to an old mans eyes. thanks

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
There's A Good Reason this One at the top of Ratings

Stinging eyes and some water in the eyes are a pretty good indication that you nailed it!

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Wonderful tale

You wrote a great story. Thank you.

roofyyroofyyover 9 years ago
Masterpiece

Frankly, I found the story depressing because there was way too much pain. But, i still wouldn't call it anything lesser than a literary marvel because of the intensity with which it affected me. I don't think I'm gonna watch porn ever again.

robinhodrobinhodover 9 years ago
My new hero!

For the last few years I considered Ohio to be the best writer on this site.

Sorry Ohio, you've slipped a place.

This story is a master piece.

Over sentimental? Of course it is. Pretty unlikely? Ditto.

It doesn't matter a toss.

robinhodrobinhodover 9 years ago
Sorry

but I had to come back.

I've read all the comments. 73 of them at time of writing and only one idiot - this must be a record.

No Harry in VA!

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
wonderful

Fantastic, thoroughly enjoyed the read. One of my favorite authors now.

RePhilRePhilabout 9 years ago
Pass the Kleenex!

I was going to write this comment under annoymus but what the hell, so I'm a romantic at heart sue me 😄

obtusemanobtusemanabout 9 years ago
thanks for sharing

Such a beautiful story. I am certainly overjoyed that you published on literotica rather than another site where we might not have had the opportunity to read it. Thank you.

gdjohn52gdjohn52about 9 years ago

One of the best stories I have read...anywhere...After losing my wife of 28 years to cancer on 02/02/2014, There were actual tears. I cant hardly wait to see the woman I love more than life itself again.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 9 years ago
Rare Occurence

I read a lot, and I even edit for some writers, yet I seldom make a comment on a story. This offering of yours is well written, and an emotional journey of a mans journey through life.

Kudos. I give you 5 Stars.

phil2213phil2213about 9 years ago
Write category keep on producing quality loving wife stories.

Beyond loves passion is a place in which this masterworks took me. Only a deeply passionate talented writer could evoke such amazing work. Thank you and Congratulations on being a major hit on this site. Thank you!

tazz317tazz317about 9 years ago
AT THAT CERTAIN MOMENT WHEN YOUR EYES HAVE YOUR LIFE

and those damn tolling bells signify that time, TK U MLJ LV NV

AnonymousAnonymousabout 9 years ago
Well Written Heart clenching

I could not stop reading this story. This story just grabbed onto your heart and would not let go all the way through. I felt as though I was Brent the entire time I was reading it, crying with him and laughing with him all along.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 9 years ago
wow

Is 5 the most stars you can give?

icebreadicebreadabout 9 years ago
I said i wouldn't cry,,,

Fuck it.

tazz317tazz317about 9 years ago
NEVER WONDER ABOUT WHOM THE BELLS TOLL

when you are there,and they are loud, close your eyes and dream of us tonight. TK U MLJ LV NV

AnonymousAnonymousabout 9 years ago
best

This is the first story that had actually brought tears to my eyes. Really enjoyed even the very very sad ending.

SunloverSunloveralmost 9 years ago
I cried like a baby

What a wonderfully written story. I do think it is in the wrong category though. Perhaps 'Romance' would suit it better. Thank you for sharing it with us. You are a gifted writer.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 9 years ago
chocked

too emotional buddy. m literally chocked. thanks for sharing dear.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 9 years ago
Don't to what to say.

Lust more than lovely. Thank you. Jim.

rightbankrightbankalmost 9 years ago
powerful

poignant

painful

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 9 years ago
5 for effort and story, Great story

who gives a shit what category it's in anonym, you fucking asshole

bonnietaylor2bonnietaylor2almost 9 years ago
5 for pissing off the asshole annony

and for your effort. thanks for your story

xtchrxtchrover 8 years ago
What a...What a...What a...What a Story!

As I started to read this, I didn't think I would like it.BUT was I mistaken. This was one hell of an emotional story. I could agree with the high school crush meeting someone else in college, it happens. I could not see Kris cheating on him in a so cavalier manner, she did not 'seem' the type as it was written especially to punish herself for 9 years. After she cheated, I'm glad he couldn't take her back. (One and Done). As for Sandy, a True Loving Wife. The ending was emotional and sad, especially with the wind chimes. Thank You for a fantastic story.

slamdog1slamdog1over 8 years ago
Shame on you

for making this 57 year old man cry. This is one of the most touching stories I've ever read. Too bad I can only give it 5 stars. Thank you.

Brewing_GuyBrewing_Guyover 8 years ago

Fabulous story. One of the few stories to make me cry! Love found, love lost, love found, love betrayed, love found, love taken, love regained.

overthehillmedicoverthehillmedicover 8 years ago
One of my favorites

When I feel down thinking of all the negative things in our lives... Bad marriages divorce...hurtful people and sickness.... This story makes me feel better thanks for the story. Still a 10 in my book!

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
awesome

So engaging. Couldn't put it down.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
"(...) no white flag above ~their~ tomb"

"There will be no white flag above ~their~ tomb" - Dido.

Just a crystal chime !

I shed some tears at the end !

Five Stars

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
What a lousy marriage counselor . . .

I enjoyed this . . . it was touching . . . but the marriage counselor sucked. Letting Kris describe sex with her affair partner early on was unforgivable. The marriage and as importantly, family, might have been salvaged.

The counselor should have determined that the husband's love was based almost entirely on genital ownership concepts . . . that to him such ownership was even more important than keeping his family together. That's okay, many, many people are like that (note some of the commenters here). The LAST thing the counselor should do in such a case is let the wife relate the affair experience early on. Most of this hurt is in his mind, of course, culturally and perhaps religiously based, but it is terrible pain never-the-less, and it is crucial that it be recognized (the counselor should have spoken to each separately before hand).

The wife, on the other hand, has a deeper sense of love, but little or no pre-cognition of the pain she could cause to her husband. She's written in a way that makes it seem that if the situation had been reversed, she would have been upset and saddened, but would NOT have abandoned the marriage and family unit. She was weaker in resolve and understanding, but stronger in her love, and if reversed, her love would have won out.

In this situation, reconciliation between these two different types could have occurred, but it would be difficult. She was willing to change, in fact, she already had (as written, the husband admits this). He was not strong enough to change, but with help (and if some idiot counselor hadn't let his face get rubbed in the affair) he could have been made stronger, and progress might have been possible.

The counselor totally blew this, and then sloughs it off with 'the hurt is too deep' sort of shit. I hate to see a salvageable marriage destroyed. As such, the situation was tragic. The greatest sadness for me was that the marriage and family broke up.

Of course, if shortly after he and Sandy enter the after-life, she admits she slept with twenty-five other guys and gals while married to him . . . it won't matter to him. He is 'free of guilt and pain and sorrow', and perhaps also free of his physical body . . .and hopefully will finally be able to find a deeper love not based almost entirely on exclusivity of parts of that abandoned shell. Too bad for his ex- and his daughters he couldn't have found this when he was alive; but the really irritating thing is that he might have been able to get at least partway there. . . if only they had gone to a competent marriage counselor.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
best of all

So gooooood.... i realy cried for minites:-P:'(

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous