The Link Pt. 03: The Huntress

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Thank you, dear," Caleb said, then we both broke down laughing. Garcia was confused as Caleb and I exchanged memories of our parents saying the same things to each other. We were becoming our parents, even though it was the last goal we ever wanted to achieve.

"I'm sorry, did I miss a joke?" Garcia asked. The look on his face was a mix of anger and confusion. I think he thought we were laughing at him.

"Yep," Caleb replied. "It was a private joke, nothing to do with you." I poured Caleb's coffee and added one teaspoon of sugar, the way I knew he liked it. He was still smiling when I gave it to him. I so loved that smile.

"Aren't you having any?" Garcia asked as I sat down empty handed.

"I'm actually a tea girl," I said, "though I've decided to cut out the caffeine for a while." At least nine months or so. It wasn't too much to ask of a future mother.

"Well, I'd like to reiterate the Army's apology for what happened the last time I was here," Garcia began. "I hope you understand that we had thought we took the proper precautions against an incident like that. We accept the responsibility, but you have to know it was unintentional."

"If I thought it was intentional, you wouldn't be here," I said.

"Of course," Garcia said, sounding almost apologetic for insinuating I hadn't figured it out. "Still, I want to apologize for my soldier. I wasn't vigilant enough, and it cost the life of a good man."

"One of the best," I said, remembering Jason's last moments. "But you need to apologize to Jason's mother, not me."

"It's my understanding that's my mission today," Garcia said. I looked at him, all that bearing and business like manner. It wasn't my goal to have him check off an item on his to-do list. Maybe I was silly to think he could share the pain I felt.

"It's not a mission," I said, upset with him and myself, "and I don't want you there if you think it's some kind of test or requirement."

"Truthfully, it scares the hell out of me," Garcia admitted. "I'll go so I can remember the costs of lax leadership. I'll go so I can look in the mirror with half the pride I did before one of my soldiers murdered Jason. Personally, I'd rather go to war than face his mother."

"So you're human," I said.

"Regretfully so, in this instance."

"I understand that this assignment may ruin your career," Caleb said.

"End it most likely," Garcia agreed. "Ms. Fuller's ability is too much of an unknown. The military doesn't trust mysteries, and soon by extension, me."

"Then why did you agree to come?" I asked.

"I wasn't given much of a choice," Garcia said, shrugging his shoulders. "I was the officer on duty when things went sour, and they don't want to bring anyone else into the loop. Need-to-know only, and I already know."

"And what does the military want out of me?" I asked.

"Tests and experiments," Garcia said, then smiled. I laughed, followed by Caleb.

"You're screwed then," Caleb joked.

"Yep, failed my mission in the first minute," Garcia continued, "I'll still have to file some reports, my assessments of what I can learn. They won't fully trust them, but orders are orders."

"So, do you want to know what it's all about?" I asked, holding out my hand.

"I'm not going to be driven to my knees again, am I?" Garcia said, placing his hand on mine. I was happy that he trusted me enough to join hands before he questioned my motives.

"That was driven by anger," I said, smiling at Caleb. "Things can get a little ugly when one of us is threatened. Are you ready?" Garcia nodded, though his eyes said no. I synced his music to mine.

Garcia's pupils widened as the bond took hold. At first, a smile grew on his lips, and I saw an envisioned future. A man walking down a sidewalk, collar supporting four stars and young soldiers snapping to attention. I could feel the well-earned respect the soldiers had for their general. The dream faded, and others took their place. I smiled when I saw a captain of industry, a powerful, respected leader driving a market shift of world-changing importance. The company was named Corbett Industries.

Tears pooled in Garcia's eyes and ran down his cheeks. I tried to retract my hand, but he grasped it tighter and held on for a moment longer. Never had I seen tears mixing with the link, and it bothered me. His dreams had been happy ones. Was his military career worth so much?

"Sorry," Garcia said, letting my hand loose. He wiped his eyes, then smiled at my concerned look. "You stayed with him at the end. Jason, I mean."

"You saw that?"

"I think I felt all of it," Garcia answered, taking a deep breath. "He's still with you. You do know that he didn't blame you."

"Doesn't make it any better," I said.

"No, I guess it wouldn't. I understand your need to see his mother now," Garcia said. He looked toward a Caleb. "And you're completely whipped." He added a smile which Caleb returned.

"Forever and ever," Caleb said.

"It's really amazing, what it does to my thoughts. All the crap is cleared out of the way, and things become so crystal clear. It's...It's angelic," Garcia said.

"It may be, but I'm human," I said, a little stronger than intended. I still had issues with the way I fit into the world.

"Very human," Caleb added. He felt my apprehension and flooded me with images of him proving I was human in the most intimate way. I couldn't remain down with that in my mind.

"Certainly not a weapon in that form," Garcia said. "I don't even want to share that with the colonel."

"You'll need to share something," I said. "I could use some FBI help looking into a Seattle church called The Welcome Word of the Lord. It's related to a holding company, WWL, and has something to do with Jason's death."

"And the other attempts on Teegan's life," Caleb added.

"The colonel can pull out the Homeland Security card, but he'll want something in return," Garcia said. "It may not be worth it. Then again, he has no idea what you can do. Dr. Gunderson has been keeping things from us."

"You mean Uncle Hank," I said, smiling.

"I think I've just joined the conspiracy," Garcia said with a chuckle. "I guess I can feed the colonel something to get some cooperation, but it has to be juicy enough to interest him."

"The detective who was looking into Jason's death is doing some research as well. She seems to think my enemies are going to use more extreme measures. Try something I'll have more trouble avoiding." I said.

"Like an IED?" Garcia asked.

"Yes," Caleb replied since I was still trying to remember what an IED was. "Bomb, poison, or anything else that would be difficult to dodge."

"You can see why we want to speed up the investigation. We looked online, but the WWL is pretty much a closed book." I added.

"I don't think your heart could handle another Jason," Garcia said with concern. He looked to Caleb who nodded his agreement. I had to agree. The attempts had to end.

"I'll see what I can do, but it will take a few days," Garcia said. "I might have to embellish a few things, so it would help if you backed me up."

"Of course," I said. Again, the bond gave me another ally. I no longer thought of Garcia as an opponent, and he just rewrote his mission. If anything, the link made it easier to make friends.

Chapter 21 - Teegan

The Willows was a misnamed facility. Willow trees brought forth thoughts of a flowing softness or welcome shade on a hot day. The retirement home of the same name was harsh and stark. The grounds were mostly devoid of trees. There was a fountain at the center of the circle drive. At one time it may have been grand. Now it was dry and held brown leaves that must have blown in from far away.

"Not a very welcoming place," Caleb said.

"Its got a prison look to it," I said, looking at the gray brick that made up most of the walls. At least it had unbarred windows. "Are you sure this is the right place, Terence?"

"Yes, ma'am. I've been here once before. It's a lot nicer on the inside," Terence replied as the car pulled up to the door. Caleb, Garcia and I exited. Terence and Rob stayed with the car, wanting to keep an eye on who was coming and going.

The entryway was a lot more inviting. Leafy plants in large pots were placed against the walls in the rotunda. A colorful carpeting, stitched with a wavy design led to a large counter that sported a happy welcome sign in bold letters. Behind the counter was a middle-aged woman in a flowered nurse's smock. She was busy with some papers, glasses secured to her head by a loose chain that wrapped around her neck. She looked up as we approached.

"Welcome to The Willows," the receptionist said warmly. She pulled her glasses off her eyes, letting them drop to her chest and hang by the chain. "Are you here for a visit?" Her eyes glanced between the three of us with an extra long linger at Garcia. His uniform looked a little out of place.

"Yes," I replied with equal warmth, "we're here to see..."

"Mrs. Tisdale," the woman finished for me. "I'm sorry, I just recognized you from your interview on Good Morning America. Wendy said you'd be by."

"Wendy?" Caleb asked.

"I believe she meet you at Mr. Tisdale's funeral."

"Oh, yes. The nurse who brought her there," I said.

"Wendy said you have a way with Mrs. Tisdale, kind of brought her out her shell," the nurse continued. "We like bringing more life to our residents."

"I see that; all these plants are lovely," I said, once again looking at all the growth.

"Pretty, but fake," the nurse said with a little chuckle. "Allergies can hit some of our residents pretty hard. The visuals are comforting, though." she held out her hand, "I'm Nancy, Ms. Fuller."

"Nice to meet you, Nancy," I said, shaking her hand. I introduced Caleb and Captain Garcia.

"Please, if you'll take a seat over there," Nancy said, pointing at small waiting area, "I'll make sure Mrs. Tisdale is ready to receive visitors. It'll only take a few minutes." We complied, and Nancy went down the hall after calling another, younger nurse, to the front desk. I spent some time examining the plants which were truly fake. Amazing that I didn't notice it at first. Until I looked at the stems, I still doubted her word.

While we waited, other nurses came walking by. It became apparent that my interview had stirred up a little celebrity status. I smiled when smiled at as more people found reasons to walk by the waiting area.

"I think you're famous," Caleb whispered. Inside he thought it was funny. I was embarrassed.

"My fifteen minutes," I whispered back. "At least I hope it's only fifteen minutes."

A rather handsome guy in blue smocks walked past and took a long look at me. He had one of those perfect symmetrical faces that housed the bluest eyes I had seen in awhile. When he smiled, I had no choice but to return it. Anger flashed through Caleb, not at me but at the male nurse. I could feel him shouting on the inside, 'Yeah, well I'm sleeping with her, asshole.' It was only a momentary thought, but it was so out of nowhere and very strong. I covered my mouth to stifle a laugh.

"Sorry," Caleb said shyly when he realized what he'd exposed to me.

"I love you too," I said and kissed Caleb in front of the blue smocked hunk. Garcia rolled his eyes and shifted farther away from us. Caleb didn't mind at all.

*****

"Wendy, right?" I asked when we were brought into Mrs. Tisdale's room. Wendy nodded and held out her hand, all smiles. Mrs. Tisdale was slouched in her wheelchair, her sparse gray hair had been combed, and she was dressed in slacks and a blouse. There was even a bit of makeup on her face, though I was sure she wasn't aware of it.

"Is that Jason?" Mrs. Tisdale called out. Her head lifted, but her eyes seemed to have trouble focusing.

"It's Ms. Fuller, Mrs. Tisdale," Wendy said. "Do you remember? From the funeral." I moved closer and kneeled down in front of the chair. Mrs. Tisdale's eyes met mine without recognition. Garcia coughed, dislodging something caught in his throat.

"Jason?" Mrs. Tisdale asked, responding to the manly cough. I couldn't take the confusion, so I took Mrs. Tisdale's hand in mine. Our music merged, and Jason's death came flooding back. Tears formed in her eyes.

"My boy is gone," Mrs. Tisdale said clearly.

"I'm so sorry," I said.

"Do I babble for him?" Mrs. Tisdale asked, looking at Wendy.

"He's your favorite memory," Wendy said. She looked at me with a wonder I didn't deserve. Here was a woman who spent her life taking care of others and she was amazed by something that took me no effort. I felt trivial, nothing but the cause of other's pain.

"Why is it so clear now?" Mrs. Tisdale asked me.

"I wish I knew," I told her honestly. "I was born with something and sometimes it's good. Other times...well Jason died for it." I couldn't help it, my eyes welled up. Caleb was at my side instantly, physically and emotionally.

"His death was my fault, ma'am," Garcia said from behind us. He was standing at attention, looking at the far wall. His jaw was clenched as he fought off his own eye issues.

"How is that, young man?"

"I didn't vet my people properly. Jason heroically jumped in front of a knife meant for Ms. Fuller. It was my mistake that created the situation." Garcia said to the wall. It was if he was filing a report. I knew that if he looked at Mrs. Tisdale, he would break down and lose his bearing. Soldiers didn't do that.

"It was my fault. I didn't listen to Jason. He didn't want me to let the military into the house," I said. "He'd still be alive if I had listened to him."

"And if my mind hadn't gone, he'd still be on active duty and been nowhere near you two," Mrs. Tisdale said. "Blame is for the man with the knife. Hero you say?"

"One of the best, ma'am," Garcia said sharply.

"Then that's what I choose to remember," Mrs. Tisdale said. "He died protecting you and your baby, that's the man he was." I heard a gasp out of Garcia. "Now you have to live so you can tell your daughter about him."

"How does she know that? How does she know anything?" Wendy said, taking a step back. "How are you doing this?" I conversed with Caleb internally, and he agreed.

"It's something we're trying to keep quiet," I said, holding my other hand to Wendy. "I can show you if you like."

"Take her hand, Wendy," Mrs. Tisdale said, her eyes alert. "My son died to protect her and what she can do." Wendy moved closer and hesitantly took my hand.

"Oh, my!" Wendy said.

"Clears the cobwebs," Mrs. Tisdale said, then laughed at her joke. It was a clear laugh, no longer hindered by her senility. Wendy's eyes snapped to Caleb, and her smile grew. She quickly released my hand.

"Boy, does he love you," Wendy told me.

"And I him," I said.

"Why does everyone see that?" Caleb asked with frustration in his voice.

"Because it's wonderful. It shines like a billboard and makes us think life is worthwhile," Mrs. Tisdale said. "Your baby's love is unfettered, but yours is directed and forceful. It makes a woman think men aren't just a bag of hormones running around trying to find a place to put their...thing."

"Exactly," Wendy said, smiling at Mrs. Tisdale. Caleb and Garcia groaned as we had a little chuckle at their sex's expense.

"You can see why we don't want this to get out," Caleb said to Wendy. It was his attempt at changing the subject.

"Some people think it's evil," Teegan said sadly. "Jason got in the way of one of them."

"It's the exact opposite of evil," Wendy argued.

"It's best that we don't announce our visits here. There's been some suggestion that they may plan something...larger." Caleb said.

"Oh, dear," Mrs. Tisdale said.

"Um," Garcia mumbled. I looked back at him, and his face was beet red.

"What?" I asked.

"Well, no one told me, I mean us," Garcia fumbled. "We had meetings, and a lot of people were there. They all had clearance, but so did..."

"You talked about today?" Teegan asked.

"Well, you gave it as a condition. It's standard operating procedure to go through everything before making a decision. There were rumors about other unsolved strokes and deaths that had to be discounted. The risks considered." Garcia said in his defense.

"Crap," Caleb said.

"It's probably nothing, but we have to leave," I told Mrs. Tisdale. I felt anger rise in Caleb. He was preparing, and I hated it. Our baby felt it and agreed with me.

"Go, dear. Save the world," Mrs. Tisdale said. I didn't have the time to correct her. Saving the world was for others, I was merely trying not to get anyone killed. I released her hand, and her lucidity fled.

"I've got her," Wendy said, seeing the guilt in my eyes. She gave me a knowing smile, letting me know Mrs. Tisdale will be taking care of.

"Thank you," I said, then we moved quickly out into the hall.

"We can use the side exit," Garcia said, pointing north down the hall.

"No, the main exit," I said, moving toward the front doors. "If anyone is here, they need to see us leave." Caleb took my hand and hurried me along. He was scanning ahead, feeling for anything that might be a threat. It was as if his love had been superseded by a stronger need, one that thought like Death.

Garcia moved in front and received a nod from Caleb. He was visibly looking in each open door before we passed, looking for the same threats Caleb was envisioning. The rooms were either empty or filled with the elderly. He ran past Nancy to the front entry way. Nancy was holding up the phone, telling me I had a call. We quickened our pace and exited in plain sight. I saw Terence rise from the car when something changed the world, and I went flying forward, Caleb's hand ripped from mine.

*****

A moment was missing from my life as I rose startled from the asphalt. I didn't remember getting past the sidewalk. My palm was scraped, my chin was sore, and things were floating in the air. The only sound was a horrible ringing that seated itself deep in my ears. Terence was helping me up, trying to carry me, but I fought him off as my mind tried to decipher the missing moments. Caleb! I felt him then, groggy and off to my right. Terence was yelling something I couldn't hear and trying to pull me to the car. I searched for my daughter and found her safe, my body her shield and her love was as strong as ever. I smiled and turned.

I saw hell.

Smoke was pouring from shattered windows and doors. The roof had partially collapsed on the right side, taking a portion of the brick with it. No one was leaving the building. I started toward the door, but something was holding me back. Arms were wrapped around me. Terence pulling me toward the car. My screams were hollow sounding, and he refused to let me go. People were dying because of me, and he wouldn't let me help.

I felt Caleb's anger boil, and I followed his eyes. A tan car was racing out of the east parking lot. My mind followed his thoughts as they found a home inside a mind that was worried it wouldn't get paid because I wasn't dead. The man was angered that I hadn't taken the call and guaranteed my position in the center of the building.

I dug into his memories and found an image of a tall black man. Elegant features marred by the desire to rid the world of me by any means. I had a face. I ripped deeper into the mind and heard the memories of the conversation, the spouting of religious dogma to justify my murder and that of others. As if the assassin needed any motivation beyond money. He had no empathy, only greed. Murder was nothing but a paycheck. A quarter million dollars is what all those lives were worth.

"Kill him," I said, though I heard none of the words. Caleb agreed, and something awful took him over. I fed him all my hatred, bypassing our baby whose confusion was so strongly evident.

1...1112131415...20