The Link Pt. 03: The Huntress

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I thought you two would be swamped by the press," Kato said as we sat down.

"We're hiding from them," I said. "The announcement of the inheritance has stirred up a hornet's nest. Neither of us knows how to act."

"I don't blame you," Kato said, "at least I can go to McDonald's and be assured of a little anonymity. Violinists usually don't rate high with that crowd." I smiled at his humor. "Teegan seems to be on every channel. They're playing up the rags-to-riches story."

"And the assassination attempts," I added.

"Plural?" Kato asked.

"The press is just getting wind of the others," I said with a sigh. At least they were tying it to the inheritance and not speculating on the true cause.

"You have to tell me, how did you ever come up with the violin-sax duo?" Kato and I talked music for the next hour. It was one of the best hours of my life, almost as good as being on stage with Tom. Kato instinctively knew why I loved music, so we jumped right into the mechanics of it, describing the music as a set of feelings that need to be pulled from the instrument. We were using half sentences and completing each other's words. It was an amazing collision of our thoughts, all without any help from Teegan.

"We definitely need to play together," Kato said.

"That would be awesome," I said, trailing off the last word when it sounded infantile to my ears.

"After dinner," Teegan said, surprising us by appearing at the door. I felt the joy in her. She was feeding off of mine.

"That's right," Kato said, "I was promised a meal." I laughed as we rose and followed Teegan to the dining room. We all sat at one end of a table built for twenty. In hindsight, it would have probably been better to eat out on the patio. Kato was a lot more homey than his musical persona had indicated.

"Caleb told me that you were the inspiration for his duet," Kato said to Teegan.

"I don't know," Teegan said, "the song is as much his as mine." Kato's eyebrows raised at her words.

"You're a musician too?" Kato asked.

"Not in the way you're thinking," Teegan said. She was pulling a Cruthers, teasing out her words. I could feel a silly jealousy in her, and she knew it was silly. Still, she wanted some attention.

"In what way should I be thinking?"

"I guess I influenced Tom, the saxophonist, more than Caleb," Teegan continued. "Caleb already knew the music." I watched Teegan smile as she kept part of the story to herself.

"I thought you met Tom at a workshop," Kato said, turning to me.

"Teegan met him many years earlier," I said, letting Teegan have her fun.

"So, you're not a musician, but you influenced one many years ago," Kato said. "What am I missing?"

"I was actually a baby when I met Tom the first time," Teegan said, adding to the mystery. I nodded and smiled.

"Tom and Corbett," Kato said, thinking out loud. "You must have been quite the baby." He paused for a moment and looked past us. When his eyes returned, there was intelligence in them. "Okay, I give. Are you going to tell me or tease me all night." Teegan laughed, and I added a chuckle of my own.

"I can show you, but I'd appreciate it if you kept it to yourself," Teegan said. I could feel her desire to bond with Kato. I had done so intellectually, and she wanted to share in her own way. It was a stupid jealousy, but one forged by love. Something I could allow.

"Okay," Kato said, sounding like he thought he might regret his decision.

"Please take my hand," Teegan asked, holding out her own. I loved how she smiled, the glow was filling the room. Kato wiped off his hand on his napkin then joined it to Teegan's. I could feel Teegan adjusting our music to his. Kato's music was soft, almost angelic, purely rhythmic in the form I would expect of a child. My fingers were moving below the table forming the notes as if I held my violin.

"Whoa," Kato sighed. His smile grew as he covered Teegan's hand with his free one, holding hers in place. "I can almost see music." He looked at me, then quickly withdrew his hands. He started laughing as his eyes traveled between the two of us.

"Problem?" Teegan asked. I shifted closer toward her.

"You two are really in love," Kato said, "I mean, more in love than I thought possible. I was following the music, and then I suddenly felt like I was intruding. Damn, that's powerful. How do you do that?"

"Born with it," Teegan said, shrugging her shoulders to forestall a deeper query. I could feel her concern about him breaking off like he did.

"Most people enjoy it," I said, echoing Teegan's concern.

"Oh, I liked it," Kato said, "It's just that I felt like I had walked in on the two of you. You know, while you're in the bedroom or something." Teegan's cheeks went a little pink, and she retracted from him a bit.

"You saw that?" I asked.

"No, nothing visual like that," Kato replied, "it was the emotion between you two." Teegan relaxed as she realized that it wasn't a visual image. "You two are connected. Is it always on?"

"Always," Teegan said, reaching out for my hand. I took it in mine as our love rose to the surface.

"It was the same music as the video of you and Tom," Kato said, his smile growing once again. "Does it always feel like that?"

"Nope," I replied, "in fact, your music is very different. Teegan and I share the same music, but everyone else is different in some way."

"Dad's is pretty close to mine," Teegan added.

"What do I sound like?" Kato asked.

"Think, slow flute," I said, trying not to joke.

"It was pretty," Teegan said.

"But unmanly," Kato said with a chuckle.

"I don't think we can pick or change our music," I said. "It's like a fingerprint."

"Well, now I have to know," Kato said, "Victor had my instruments brought into the house. Do you know where he would have put them?"

We gathered in the great room where Victor had placed Kato's three violins. They were laid along the long wooden bar that had been carved from a single tree. Victor had told me it was from one of the old growth trees that were on the property before the construction of the house. Teegan thought it would have been better to build the house around it instead of taking it down.

"Are you sure?" I asked for the second time as Kato handed me one of his practice instruments. Mine was still in Maine. I was beginning to miss it.

"You can't touch my baby, but you're welcome to the foster kids," Kato joked. I smiled as I began tuning the violin. Teegan sat down on the long couch with Victor and watched as I got used to the instrument. It was lighter than mine, probably a better wood. The tone was heavier than mine could produce, and it felt strange under my chin. Nothing I couldn't deal with.

Kato pulled some long notes on his violin once he was satisfied with the tuning. He turned to me and waited patiently as I caught up. I duplicated his notes once I was satisfied.

"Okay, what do I sound like?" Kato asked. I thought for a moment then began playing the notes.

"Softer," Teegan said. I could feel his music again, transferred from Teegan's memory. Internally, I joined her in a duet. She was surprisingly accurate in the reproduction. As I played, I felt her joy increase. We realized that we were somehow playing together. I smiled, turning toward her as if she were playing an instrument as well. Teegan fell apart after a moment, her excitement throwing off the timing. She was perfect when it came without thinking.

"I expected something more complex," Kato said, disappointed. "Maybe we can dress it up." He took up the tune expertly, as expected, and then quickly expounded on the theme. I smiled and followed him, offset his tones with a set of my own design. A few moments later and we had a new song. Kato's face lit up, and he began some slight body movements that I was able to read to keep in sync. I felt, as much as saw, the ending coming. We ended together on the same notes, not too dissimilar to the original tune.

"Wonderful," Teegan shouted over a louder than expected applause. I turned to see some of our staff smiling and clapping. Kato bowed, and I followed suit.

"You fiddle?" Kato asked.

"Does the cow shit in the field?" I responded.

"Cotton Eyed Joe," Kato said with a huge smile. I nodded, and we let loose. I found that I could play while laughing. Teegan pulled Victor to his feet and made him do some strange rendition of a square dance. To his credit, he was smiling and doing a fair job. Soon, the room was alive with people ignoring their work and enjoying life. Kato did a few hillbilly steps, and I picked them up and soon we were doing a little dance as we played. Kato looked like he was having the time of his life. I was right there with him.

"That's what music is supposed to do," Kato said when we finally stopped. "When you get them moving, you know you're doing it right."

"How about something cerebral while we cool down?" Teegan asked. She was asking for me, knowing I wanted to hear what he could make a violin do.

Kato was truly a master. I envied his ability to make it look so effortless, which for him it probably was. I sat with Teegan, holding her hand as he performed as if it were Carnegie Hall. The acoustics of the room weren't perfect, but the untrained ears wouldn't notice. I ignored the funky rebounds and enjoyed it for what it was. A personal concert from the greatest violinist I knew.

"I have to get my violin," I whispered to Teegan. By get, I meant personally retrieve it. Shipping it sounded risky. I also owed my parents an update. And a hug or two. Teegan nodded in agreement.

*****

"You play beautifully," Teegan told Kato. We were sitting in the library sipping some coffee after the impromptu concert.

"Thank you," Kato said, "and my parents thank you. It was their insistence on the practice that grew my talent."

"I imagine it was tough at the time," I said, "but the outcome was well worth it."

"It pays the bills," Kato said, smiling. "Nothing like the talent you have Teegan. I've been trying to get through a particularly difficult piece, and I think I have it now. That ability of yours sure clears the head. Sometimes, you just need to get your brain out of the way."

"You know without trying?" Teegan asked.

"I can feel it," Kato said, looking at me for agreement. I nodded with a smile. "What else can you do with that thing you do?"

"Uhm, I'm not really sure," Teegan said, "there's no manual, and it's caused more problems than it's solved. Though I am happy it helped with your music." She looked at me then continued. "If it has a purpose, we haven't found it yet."

"Music is words for the soul," Kato said. "There must be a purpose for it. Your song is beautiful, and it would be a waste if it only caused problems."

"I'm not even sure why I showed you," Teegan said.

"I was monopolizing Caleb," Kato said without a thought, then took a sip of his coffee. I marveled at his mind. No wonder he could put so much emotion into his playing. He understood the human condition.

"Tom's wife told me that I would always be competing with music," Teegan said from behind a grin. "I guess I just wanted to be part of it."

"From what I felt, you really don't need to worry," Kato said.

"I know, but that doesn't mean I don't," Teegan said. I liked the idea that she didn't take me for granted, even if she safely could.

"Well, if nothing else, it does cut through a bunch of crap," Kato pointed out. "I feel I have known you for years. All that uncomfortable initial greeting stuff was blown away."

"It does do that," I agreed. Though Kato and I had music to fall back on.

"Maybe you're meant to bring people together," Kato said. "Not unlike the power of music."

"I wish I knew," Teegan said. I could feel her love-hate relationship with the link. "I've caused a lot of pain and very few positive things."

"Well, I want to be there when you figure it out," Kato said. "Talents such as yours are meant for great things." Even with my urging, Teegan doubted Kato's words. Jason's death had had a high cost.

Chapter 14 - Teegan

"Uncle Hank!" I shouted on my way down the stairs. I had no idea how he knew where I was, but I didn't care. There he was in the rotunda with the smile I remembered. Caleb was having breakfast with Kato who had spent the night. I decided to let them talk music since Kato was leaving in an hour. It meant a lot to Caleb so it meant a lot to me.

"If it isn't my wealthy niece," Hank said, holding his arms wide. The bear hug made me feel younger, something I desperately wanted to be for a moment. All that had happened made me cherish the days when homework was my greatest enemy.

"How did you find me?" I asked, after giving him a kiss on the cheek.

"Let's see," Hank began, "was it the newspaper, maybe the TV news."

"That's right, I stopped watching," I said.

"Of course, it could have been the military," Hank said seriously. My anger flared for a moment, then I beat it back down. It took a second to convince Caleb to stay where he was, that all was well.

"You're working for them again?"

"Only as a peacemaker. Would you believe I am supposed to apologize? Begging for forgiveness was not left off the to-do list."

"They got Jason killed," I said sternly, then shook my head, "but if an apology lets me see you, then I'll suffer through it." I took him to the library where we could talk more comfortably.

"They had no idea that the soldier would do what he did," Hank said, "In fact, it made them review the entire company to see where they went wrong. It looks like he was tied to some cult out of Seattle."

"The Welcome Word of the Lord?" I asked.

"How did you know?" Hank said.

"We're looking into it as well," I replied.

"They are a pretty closed group," Hank continued, "The military has the FBI looking into them, but the FBI isn't convinced that it was anything more than a single crazy. The local police are closing the case on that theory. It's difficult to condemn an entire religion for the acts of one man."

"The military wants something from me," I said.

"They would like to assign you a liaison," Hank said. "From what I understand, you were agreeable to this before the incident. They know you can hide behind your money easily enough."

"Who would they assign?"

"Captain Garcia," Hank replied. "If you request it, he's been ordered to bond with you as well."

"Ordered?"

"It will kill his career," Hank continued."Compromised officers do not fit well in the chain of command."

"Is that what they think? That the bond is some kind of mind control?"

"You have to see it from their side," Hank said. "I understand Caleb had a whole unit on their knees against their will."

"What do you think?" I asked.

"I think you should tell them to jump in the lake," Hank said.

"Then they'll fear me."

"They fear everything. That's their job," Hank reasoned. I thought about it. My new wealth could shield me from the military, but that wouldn't allay their fears. I already had enough trouble with one organization and didn't want to stir up another. If it were on my terms, it could be controlled. Caleb's thoughts mixed with my own. Garcia was a known quantity.

"I believe it may be better if we compromised," I said. "Caleb agrees that we have too many enemies, and we wouldn't mind defusing one of them."

"Are you sure? I thought you wanted them out of your life."

"Maybe it's time to bring people together," I said, remembering Kato's words. "They need a level of trust, and I need them off my back. Who knows, maybe we can put their resources to work for us."

"The military is interested in securing America, not Teegan Fuller," Hank said.

"Well, I'm an American and obviously important to them. Their FBI connections could be important to me. I give - they give." I said, folding my hands in my lap. The power that money brings was molding my thoughts. Everything was resolving to a negotiation.

"Captain Garcia was worried that you may not want him back. Something about wanting to keep his wits intact." Hank said.

"I guess we did scare him a bit," I said, letting my smile grow. "At the time, he deserved it for bringing an assassin with him." I didn't want to fully forgive him, but I also believed he wasn't intentionally responsible. A little pain was in order. "See if Captain Garcia would like to meet me here next Tuesday. I can have a room fixed for him here, or he can choose other accommodations."

"Tuesday?" Hank said, noticing my sly smile.

"I'm checking in on Jason's Mother on Tuesday. It will be good for him to see the ramifications of the military's carelessness." I said.

"Ouch," Hank said, with a tilt of his head. "That will certainly set the tone of the arrangement. "

"I bonded with Jason, Hank. I mean, I was in his mind while he died." I said, trying to keep my eyes from welling up. I had cried enough and Jason wouldn't have wanted that. "It hurt so bad I thought I might go with him. Needless to say, I feel little mercy for those that caused it."

"I'm so sorry," Hank said, his eyes drooping like a sad grandfather.

"I will find the people responsible. If the military and FBI can help me with that, then so be it," I said.

"Use each other," Hank said, nodding his head slowly. "I'll arrange the meeting." I smiled to soften his grim look now that the important things had been decided.

"So, how is your wife?" I asked. That brought his smile out again. We spent some time talking about the past, laughing at things that were important back then, but are silly now. It brought back my desire to see my Mom and Dad. Caleb felt the same way so we silently agreed to head back to Maine the next day. What's the point of having money if you can't fritter some of it away to see the people you love? I did own a plane after all.

*****

"Should we call first?" Caleb asked, then internally took it back before I shook my head. It was strange, verbally verifying our thoughts when it was so unnecessary. It did make them stronger and signaled that we believed them more important than the million other thoughts that ran through our minds.

"Not after what Cruthers said. Our phones were bugged, maybe theirs are too." I sighed. Then the past came back to me, and I smiled. "My dad will know we're coming anyway."

"Will he keep it quiet?"

"He's smart enough to know I would call if I wanted the world to know," I replied. "Besides, I can open up a bit and try to share our concern. I certainly don't want this to become a sideshow with the press anyway."

"I still think you need to speak with the press at some time," Caleb said.

"Maybe later, when this threat is gone. I don't want to accidently create more targets," I said. Caleb and I shared quick images of a press conference blowing up. Mine was outside, his inside a building that collapsed. Neither was pleasant.

"I want to go swimming," Caleb said, taking my hand. I smiled at his desire to end our grim thoughts.

"You just want me naked," I said, following him willing.

"The thought never entered my mind," Caleb lied. He knew I knew what entered his mind, delicious images of our wet weightless tangled nakedness.

Chapter 15 - Sam

I stood in the doorway, quietly watching Natalie washing a pot in the kitchen sink. She was humming softly to a song in her head as her hips swayed ever so slightly. I marveled at how good she looked. She was older, hips a little wider, and she was fighting maturity by coloring her hair. Still, there was a girl inside that hummed and swayed, teasing the boy in me. Not a day went by that I didn't wonder how I stayed so lucky. Natalie was still out of my league, yet she never wavered in her love. And I never wavered in mine.

1...7891011...20