The Marriage Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
DreamCloud
DreamCloud
7,651 Followers

"I will lead the way, my Princess," I said smartly. The weight of the secret was lifted. Now I just had to live with a shattered heart. It will be easier to bear, not having to hide it from Angelica.

"I am sure Lucius would be capable," Angelica said as I opened the door. Lucius bowed his head slightly when we exited. He wore a confused expression. I think he too was expecting shouting.

"Lucius, would you be so kind as to show the princess to the baths?" I asked, slightly enjoying his befuddled look.

"Of course, my Lord." Angelica smiled at Lucius, gesturing that he should lead the way. He was hesitant, but obedient. "This way, my Lady," Lucius said, heading off slowly. I started to turn the other way when Angelica's intent became clear in my mind.

"Lucius," I called and he turned, "the princess has my confidence. I wish you to speak true to her." I saw his eyes go wide. "In all things," I added strongly so he knew it was not feigned for the princess's ears. Angelica's smile was honest as he nodded to me. I would prefer she found out about me in an open manner from the one man who knew me best. That he was loyal would not hurt either.

"As you wish, my Lord," Lucius said rather surprised. He looked at Angelica, "I am at your pleasure, my Lady."

"We have an interest in common, Lucius," Angelica said quietly as they headed down the hallway, "I too have the prince's success in mind..." I watched them disappear around the corner. The princess was efficient in gathering information. Her priorities seemed to be the perfection of the union. Duty above all else.

*****

The strategy meeting with the my father and King Toric went well. I put forward the horn idea as my own and it was accepted with gratitude. Both kings were dismayed they had not thought of it themselves. I was raised in their eyes which I found most satisfying. I knew it was Angelica's idea, but I seemed to forget that when and adulations were brought forward. She would never be my first choice for a wife. She would be my first choice as a queen.

The conversation continued until dinner. All manner of strategy was discussed. The breaking of sieges, the flanking of bowmen and the use of infantry and cavalry. I knew most of the basics. It was the integration of multiple forces that complicated the matter. How do you destroy an army without hurting your ally in the process? It was determined that coordinated waves was the best solution. Never leave both armies engaged at the same time. One drive with heavy horse, withdraw, then joint bowman, then another wave of horse by the joining army. No respite for the enemy. It was determined that, once the infantry was fully engaged, the speed of battle would have slowed to the point all could tell friend from foe. By the time dinner drew near, most was decided. If the Wolf chose to move, it would be his undoing.

"I will relay all to my son," King Toric said, "he will know and be my second as Cayden is yours." He slapped me hard on the back. I made it a point, once again, to ignore the momentum and accepted the sting.

"I wish he would have joined us," I said, thinking it would be wise to develop a relationship with the future king.

"He is all work," King Toric laughed, "no one better in battle, but a little on the dull side when it comes to ceremony and banquets. You will meet him soon enough." I sensed something was being hidden about Uri Douderson. Angelica was not all that keen to discuss him at the banquet last night. She gave the same type of broad excuse for his lack of attendance.

*****

Dinner was a smaller affair than the night before. The food was just as plentiful, but only the main retainers were in attendance. The talk was light, the weather and hunting were the main topics. Politics did not enter the conversation, which was a welcome break. Just before the main course of roasted duck was served, Angelica surprised us by standing and demanding the attention of all.

"Let it never be said a Bear would forget a debt," Angelica spoke loudly, "I owe my betrothed an announcement. A contest between us was lost by me." She paused a moment to let that sink in and then continued, "Today, Prince Cayden Southerson was the better horseman. A race run hard and won fair." There was a mix of cheers and laughing at the pronouncement. Angelica smiled at me. I stood, bowed and kissed her hand, then waved for silence.

"In two month's time, my betrothed will become my wife and future queen," I said, "another contest I win hands down." Angelica blushed slightly, how she did it on demand I did not know. I pulled her close and kissed her cheek. We were good together. The merriment continued loudly.

"I wonder if I can make a request of you, your Majesty?" Angelica asked my mother when the dessert made of apples and cream was brought forward. She said it loud enough for all close to hear, including her parents and my father.

"Of course, Angelica," my mother responded. My curiosity was piqued.

"I would like to request one of your staff enter my personal service," Angelica continued nonchalantly, "it would ease my acclimation to the house."

"That is a prudent request," my father interjected, nodding to my mother.

"Yes, I have no issue with it," my mother offered, "if the party agrees, it will be done."

"Wonderful," Angelica said loudly, sealing the deal. Her parents seemed happy with their daughter's forward-looking request. Had I known Angelica's next statement, I would not have had a mouth full of apples and cream. "I spoke with an Alia Targot this afternoon, and she has agreed as long as you allow it."

To be continued...

DreamCloud
DreamCloud
7,651 Followers