All Comments on 'The Music of the Mind Ch. 14'

by Solitary_Thinker

Sort by:
  • 6 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousabout 18 years ago
Oh, I *do* love this series!

Another damned fine installment, man! That scene where he let the ladies see their love for each other was beautiful, bloody beautiful. And the addition of the emotional bonds as something outside the standard mental abilities was a very nice touch. (I'm looking forward to exploring the thicker "curtain" and lending energy aspects, too. Sounds promising.)

Also enjoying his interactions with all these women. Yes, I do enjoy the harem aspect, but it's the depth of emotion he shares that makes it so truly wonderful. You are getting close to where the number of women might overwhelm his ability to maintain such depth, but at this stage, you are balancing those two qualities admirably.

By the way, I know you mean the whole music thing as a metaphor, but I wonder what would happen if he found someone with musical talent to transpose the "notes" he perceives -- into either written form, or he got someone to perform it, even if only as a computer reproduction? (And best use computers or record different parts individually, or might affect the musicians as they played.) Imagine playing a mp3 of the note sequence from the ladies' evening from this chapter at a Valentines dance (I'm going with spurring desperate need for private intimacy among lovers here, not a public orgy). Or put on a recordable keychain the sequence for a mental stunbolt as a surprise defense, like choral mace.

Just one minor quibble: they were in the throes of passion, not "throws". It's one of those words that only show up in certain phrases, like "pique my interest" or "it complements your eyes", yet sounds like other more-common terms. Anyways, very minor quibble, as you've managed to rid your excellent work of nearly all such little errata quite thoroughly. (And only word-geeks like myself are apt to notice. ;-P)

So, again, an extremely satisying chapter, friend, and I thank you for sharing such a terrific and entertaining vision with us. Look forward to the next installment.

KB

(Khyranleander -- I had problems signing in)

AnonymousAnonymousabout 18 years ago
I agree

Uhhhh, what he said. Lol. Anyways I'm truly amazed at each story you submit. My biggest problems that all yours stories have had so far, and they are big in my eyes, they aren't damn long enough. :) Hey, I'm just whining, but I get soo disappointed when i see the end of each story, but hey what can i do but wait for the next one. Keep it up man, you are truly one of the best on this site.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 18 years ago
Great!

You continue to put great scenes together, we're just amazed and the amount of detail!

Great work!

BibliodrakBibliodrakabout 18 years ago
Wonderful

I have just discovered your work, I read everything you have done in this story in one sitting. (stayed up almost 2 hours past my bedtime on a worknight too.) The story is enthralling the characters have depth, what more can I ask for but MORE! As the last commentor said I love the harem thing but don't go overboard on it, it would become nearly impossible to keep the emotional bonds that are there now. Even with the 20 something coffee girl there is real emotion and I would hate to see any of it lost. Looking forward to your next installment. Wonder what will happen when Dimitri and Anna meet up again? Especially considering Anna probably has the same servant imprinting that Dimitri had, but still fully intact to their father.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 18 years ago
Great work

Good characterization. Also nice to see characters besides the protagonist gain powers, and not be second tier/"just human" as sometimes happens in fantasy stories.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 12 years ago
bah...

So he has a thing for Jill... She should be the FIRST one he awakens so that she can protect herself. He's awfully carefree about everything. Kind of relying on the genie to save him from his stupidity. Not that the bad guys can't just use more conventional methods to kill him...

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous