The Perfect Pieces Ch. 12

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
DreamCloud
DreamCloud
7,653 Followers

"Then we'll get Mom tomorrow?" Lizzy asked.

"Yes...darn!", I said. I was proud I didn't swear. Good practice. "Your mom forgot to tell me where she is staying." I pulled out my phone and called back the last number.

"You forgot to ask," Lizzy corrected. So she had flighty dad. She would learn to live with it.

"Thorton," the voice answered. It was the DEA agent who arrested Amber.

"Agent, aah, Samantha called from your phone," I sputtered. I was foolishly expecting Amber to answer, "This is Mark Winslow. Samantha didn't tell me where she was staying."

"Congratulations, Mr. Winslow. I understand you're getting married," Thorton responded.

"Yes. Thanks," I replied. He seemed awfully happy for someone who just lost a collar.

"I put Samantha up at Hyatt downtown," he continued, "I would appreciate it if you switch the room to your card tomorrow."

"Of course," I said, "and thank you. I really appreciate you helping us out."

"Anytime," he said, "she has my number if there are any problems." I was surprised by his gracious help. Politeness I understood. Above and beyond was very welcome. I ended the call with another set of thank yous that sounded feeble to my ear.

I had a burger and Lizzy chicken nuggets. I found her even more charming now that she thought of me as her father. It was a strange transition, friend to father. I deserved none of the credit, but I felt obliged to be proud of her. She was basically well-mannered, usually happy and definitely smart. I could walk with my head high and non-verbally claim it was my doing. I liked her age. It fit her. I could talk to her and do things you couldn't do with a smaller child. Things like stained glass.

We got a room at a roadside motel and Lizzy was asleep within minutes of her head hitting the pillow. I watched her breathe from the other bed. I couldn't believe I intended to become responsible for her. There was so much of Amber in her. All the good parts and none of the history. I closed my eyes. I would have to try hard not kill the first boy who broke her heart.

Amber was waiting in the lobby of the hotel. She swept up Lizzy first, then kissed me like there was no one else around. "You meant it?" she asked. She still doubted me.

"It would make me so happy," I answered. Her lips were so soft. I thought she meant to undress me right there. Lizzy was tugging on my shirt and rolling her eyes. I think we were embarrassing her. Well, at least I would be good at that part of being a father.

It took awhile for the hotel to reverse the charges on Thorton's card and have it charged to mine. They had already pushed the charge through since it was past eleven. "I can't believe Thorton did this for you," I told Amber.

"I think I gave him a promotion when he lent me his phone," Amber said smiling, "the rest of them wouldn't give me the time of day."

"A promotion?"

"He happens to know of a YMCA locker with a million dollars of cartel heroin," Amber said, "I suspect it will be quite a feather in his cap." Amber's face went serious, "That's the last of it Mark. Nothing of my past is left."

"I just burnt my bridges as well," I said, "good riddance, I say." I loved her smile. It was mine now. "Let's go home," I said, gathering my girls to the car. They were permanent pieces of my life now. Perfect pieces.

Continued...

DreamCloud
DreamCloud
7,653 Followers
12