The Possibilities

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Mike was laughing again, almost spilling his wine. "I've asked that same question in one way or another to ever one I've met and you are the first one to give it to me that straight---and concise. You get it and it's exactly what I've sensed but others don't seem to...why?"

"Fear, protecting their own empires, and then some really don't get it. Mike, I'm far from an insider so I'm not invested in anything, but elements of what I outlined are at the core of every business unit I've...closed. I'm like the fly on the wall. I do an after action---'lessons learned'--- every time I close another one down. No one reads them."

"I did. Every one of them."

"They haven't been shredded?"

"Fortunately, no. Did you ever end up trying to fight for one of the businesses you were assigned?"

"Twice, once half heartedly and more recently in earnest but I received a very clear message that the decision had already been made and to do my job. My finances were tied up from the divorce and money was tight. In retrospect, I still think it was a keeper and tried like hell to find someone to buy it out but the funding fell through at the last minute."

"How in the hell did you end up working for your current boss---or more accurately, how did he get to be a senior VP?"

"You're putting me on thin ice here, Mike. He's a nice kid, four handicap, politically astute, charming corporate wife, good looking guy, tall, has presence...looks like a Senior VP...gives astounding Powerpoint."

"And?"

"Pretty much clueless and spineless, although I think his heart is in the right place and he's got a decent brain."

"And his boss? The President?"

"He nods at me in the hallway, must know what I do but I'm never sure he can put my face and name together so I'm not really qualified to comment. I don't play golf so I'm not really part of his social circle. On the other hand he has put together a number of very critical acquisitions for us and the analysts love him. Frankly I don't know him."

"But you are right, he is an M&A genius and Wall Street adores him. I don't play golf either...hate it.

"Oh, my, that's got to be causing some genuine consternation."

"Politics and ass kissing piss me off; I prefer results oriented people...I hate Powerpoint."

"Slides can be useful if you keep to the rule of no more than one slide for every five minutes."

"I had one this morning with 134 slides, all sorts of cute special effects...I almost came unglued."

"That would cause me to consider a violent act."

"Bill, how would you feel about taking over a business that's marginally fucked up but absolutely is not destined for demolition?"

"I would give up my first born, if I had one. Which one did you have in mind?"

"Let's hold that for breakfast or possibly later tomorrow. Let's just spend the rest of the evening on this second excellent red getting to know each other."

Mike talked about his family and his children. Bill talked about his upbringing and early life and mentioned his penchant for writing.

"What do you write, Bill?"

"Promise not to laugh?"

"Absolutely."

"I write stuff that if it were ever to be published would probably end up on one of those paperback carousels near the super market check out lane. I write love stories---romances---steamy, one might even say erotic, short stories. To me they're more than just lurid tales; they're about love lost and found again...missed opportunity...improbable love...passion...undeniable desire...need...that special someone---and I'm a sucker for a happy ending."

"My, my...how interesting. I've tried to write, Bill but just don't seem to have the creative juice. I read a lot---always have thanks to my parents. I enjoy almost anything but I do have a weakness for love stories---and that is not for public consumption either! My wife knows---hell I make her buy them for me! Any chance I've read any of your work?"

"Doubtful. I've had a couple published in an obscure periodical and a few on line but I'm hardly a well known author. It kind of funny; unlike you I was never interested in reading in the genre in which I write. Most of the pop stuff is a bit cheesy. It's not real; the characters are too one dimensional. "

"Any chance I might get a sample?"

"Why not? I have never shared any of my writing with anyone I actually knew so while this is a little unnerving...let me see. Here's the final copy of my most recent and I hope my best story. It's around 60,000 words and it's been through a final edit."

"We both need to get some sleep, but I just finished a book that you might enjoy. I couldn't agree more; most of the mainstream pop stuff is pretty awful. This one is way about the norm. I'm anxious to discover more by this particular writer. I'll be right back."

Mike was back in under a minute. "I've lost the cover, sorry about that. Enjoy."

Bill was wide awake; he decided to flip through the book his CEO had given him. It grabbed him quickly; he went back to the beginning and read every word. He couldn't put it down. He had never heard of the author, a woman, and the publishing house was not remotely a major one but the lady had talent. Her characters had depth. They had dignity and she took good care of them. She understood human love and painted vivid pictures. He was like a hungry man who only gets a crust of bread; he wanted more. Marie Lantine...he would learn more about her and see what else she had published.

His bloodshot eyes gave him away at breakfast. "You stayed up and read the damn thing, didn't you Bill?"

"You bet. Couldn't put it down."

"Well yours was a bit shorter but quite remarkable; I read it twice. You should quit your day job and write full time. On second thought, don't quit your day job yet---I need your talents."

"That's good to know."

"Bill, what aspect of our operation is the best demonstrated practice---or the least fucked up?"

"Manufacturing is a solid, Six Sigma affair. A lot of the credit has to go to Bud Graham. He hires good people, coaches and mentors---doesn't play golf---and gets the very best out of his folks. He can be very direct at times--- even dismissive---but he's as solid as they come."

"After that?"

"Distribution---at least from the standpoint of mechanics. Their biggest weakness is that over the last few years they've become too isolated from sales and marketing---not to mention the customer. That has to change."

"Biggest 'needs improvement' function?"

"Almost a tie between sales and marketing. The very mergers and acquisitions which have allowed us to grow at an almost unparalleled rate have resulted in a lot of 'silo' mentality and no standardization of sales process across the corporation. Compensation is a disaster; we pay people for the wrong things---don't pay them for the right things. The seven field sales managers---business unit chiefs---are a varied lot. A couple need to be knocked down a peg---they're way off the reservation but very salvageable. A couple probably need to go and the other three just need some leadership."

"Marketing?"

"Completely dysfunctional and out to lunch. Yet, since their standard mode of operation is to figure out who actually is getting work done and then take over that department---and then take credit for work and results they had nothing to do with----there is some real talent buried in there."

"What about staff?"

"HR has too much power. Since no one in HR has ever made, marketed, sold or delivered a product---or been responsible for P&L---they continue to foist bone headed ideas on senior management. Since too many VPs don't have any extensive hands on experience---and HR scares them---they go along with often disastrous results.

"No one goes to the John in the corporation without getting an analysis from legal. Notice I use the term 'analysis' because getting a black and white answer out of legal is like pulling teeth. They don't see their mission as facilitating corporate goals but more like impeding progress. They need to be put on a short leash---and pared back.

"Finance is okay but their career path is all wrong. Finance types need to spend some time early in their careers in the core business disciplines so they develop a more real world perspective.

"IT has been so out-sourced that it's little more than a help desk. No one in this corporation is responsible for articulating---or qualified to articulate---an overall IT vision. We need to go outside and bring in a high level systems guru who can integrate the myriad systems that don't talk to each other and then develop and implement a roadmap for the future.

"We have a 'vision issue' in the company. We've got lots of people with a vision but not enough people willing to break some eggs, slaughter the sacred cows and piss some people off by actually making changes---and making those changes work. The whole 'corporate vision' movement should have been killed in its infancy. Lots of people think their job is to think strategically but few have the guts, talent and inclination to do anything concrete."

"Anyone on board that could take over HR?"

"The lady I've worked with for the last six years. She started in ops, moved to sales and then applied for an HR job following her divorce. She's been dumped on by the 'Queen Bee' on more than one occasion. Seems her HR blood line isn't pure enough---she's actually held a real job. Doing HR in my little world has to be as tough as it gets and she's never failed me. She's actually senior in terms of corporate tenure to anyone currently in HR and would have been fast track if she hadn't made the move to HR."

"So you would advocate a more functional realignment?"

"Oh hell yes! Look at the organization chart. Most of the executive titles are so nebulous its hard to discern what people actually do. Too much matrix management, too many staff functions blended into line responsibility. On one hand a lack of strategic leadership from the top coupled with micro-management of day to day execution."

"How would you integrate sales and marketing?"

"I wouldn't, per se, at least not functionally. Sales and marketing work best when there is a certain degree of tension between them. In the perfect world marketing develops the big picture, looks toward the future, works with manufacturing and vendors to develop products, coordinates with the field to determine what is realistic in terms of our sales expertise and buying influences and then hands the package to sales and gets out of the way. That's not the way it works now.

"Marketing seems totally divorced from overall corporate goals. They pad and coddle their programs so that it appears that they have success when in fact most of their marketing programs are neither in step with our corporate goals nor the field sales function. Then they want to meddle in all sorts of areas they have no business in such as compensation in order to drive their pet products."

"You'd split them out?"

"To a point, yes. All the way to the very top. I'd find the best two people to run sales and marketing---preferably two people that are fiercely independent and maybe don't really even like each other---but respect each other. I have some suggestions on that count. I'd have them report to someone with a cast iron constitution---and that person reports to and is integrated into---the executive suite. It has to be someone who can deal with the day-to-day carping from the field sales VPs and the constant pressure from the Marketing VP and isn't caught up in being liked."

"Anything else?"

"You need a chief of staff---all staff reports through that person and that person is integrated into the executive suite. It's not that person's job to deny access to the CEO by the staff---but to at least keep them on the reservation and ensure that they're not wasting your time. Again, in a perfect functional organization chart---a significantly flatter one---the following people report to you: Sales/Marketing, Manufacturing, Distribution/Logistics, M&A--- which has been our bread and butter growth wise---and your Chief of Staff. I think, at least for the present the fact that the founder is staying on as Chairman is a good thing. Let him massage the board---you run the company."

"So, Bill, M&A is a done deal; the COO loves it and is a genius at it. I've already chatted with him and he would be thrilled to concentrate on what he loves and does well as opposed to being a Chief Operating Officer which he doesn't love or do well. He keeps the title but that's just to keep Wall Street happy. No change at Manufacturing---except that he reports to me. I'm bringing in an outsider for the CofS role; I had one in my last job and just shook him loose to come over here. He's a master at it and has no aspirations to ever be a CEO or Chairman. What about Logistics?"

"The guy in charge really designed and created the whole system but he's getting a little long in the tooth. I wouldn't want to lose his brain but if he were honest he'd tell you that he's ready to slip away from the day to day stuff. His number two, Jane Tilson has been with the corporation for twenty-five years and has a resume that is stunning. She has worked in every discipline---operations, sales, marketing---and does not have the ability to have the wool pulled over her eyes. People are a little afraid of her because they can't BS her---she's done all of their jobs and done them exceptionally well. It is a crime that she isn't a senior VP. She's feisty and tenacious, takes care of her people and is all about work ethic. It's a no-brainer."

"Sales and Marketing?"

"There is no one in field or HQ sales management or marketing up to the task. You could bring in an outsider but they'd have a steep learning curve to deal with in our unique market. The top guys at our only two national competitors either are overrated or not for sale."

"What about Bill Shilling for Sales and Marketing?"

Bill paused before responding. He had assumed based on his dialogue with the new CEO over the previous twelve hours that there would be a new opportunity for him. He had not realistically expected it to be this one. It was a major elevation from two executives between him and the CEO to a direct reporting relationship.

"Sure. I know where all the skeletons are buried. I've learned what doesn't work in the last ten years of executions. My record indicates that I'm not afraid to make tough decisions. I have no pets or favorites within the organization and am married to no sacred cows. The fear factor---the general perception that I am a heartless bastard gives me an edge. Evaluating business units---and people---for termination has given me an uncanny ability to sniff out bull shit. You're new enough that it is unlikely that you' re going to stick me with any pets that are all show and no go. Yes...I'm good to go in that job."

"If I thought you really were a heartless bastard we wouldn't be having this chat. I liked you from the start but your writing---the story you shared with me last night---tells me you've got more heart and soul than anyone I've ever met. You care; you've had to make tough, brutal decisions over the years but you haven't got a sadistic bone in your body.

"You made those hard decisions with class, grace and compassion---and even at that it took a lot out of you. The good news is that up front I'm going to borrow your 'death dagger' or take my own out of storage and do most of the blood letting personally. As a matter of fact, I'd like you to have the opportunity to deliver some good news for a change as far as the people you want to elevate for your organization. There is one sensitive issue..."

"That is?"

"Your young boss. What do you propose we do with him?"

"He skipped or at least glossed over an important step on the way up. I do believe he has a good heart and a decent mind. He never spent enough time in the field---with the troops and the customers. I think with good leadership he could turn into a pretty decent field sales VP."

"Can he deal with reporting to you? Do you want me to handle that one?"

"I think he can deal with it and no, I don't think I need help in that area. It'll shake him up a little but there's never been any animosity between us. If truth be told I intimidate him. I was sort of parked in his world because no one else wanted to have Dr. Doom in their organization chart. I'll address it as soon as you give the word. Time frame?"

"Today. I've already drafted the new organization chart at least as far as the executive suite and my direct reports. A search is already in progress to fill those holes on which we both agree the body need to come from outside. It's pretty much the way you outlined it; the only question was sales and marketing and you just answered that question. I plan to call a staff meeting at 10:00 AM and make the announcements. Do you have an office up here?"

"I have a windowless cubbyhole but it's no matter since I seldom occupy it."

"Well, Bill, shortly after the ten o'clock meeting everyone is going to vacate the top floor---including me---for a two to four week rush renovation. It going to be very open; a central 'CEO Suite'---with offices for my direct reports opening into it. Very much a team approach. You report to me but we function as a single entity. I'm not one of those guys who fears dissent---I encourage it. We'll battle it out in that central room. When possible we'll have unanimity or at least consensus. When not possible, I'll make the hard calls---and then we're all on the same road map. Until we agree---or I end discussion---nothing is sacred, we keep no secrets and leave our egos elsewhere. Don't ever be afraid to play devil's advocate---stick to your guns. Are you okay with that?"

"More than okay...something approaching giddy? Where are we going to operate from for the next month?"

"Right here at this hotel. We're close enough to the headquarters but separated enough not to distracted. Before we move back in I would expect that we will have cast the vision think in stone and be ready to execute. When we're over at HQ we'll meet in a corner of the cafeteria and it will be a very open door environment. Do you need a ride to the office?"

"That would be appreciated. One final question: my admin---salt of the earth... working for me hasn't helped her career."

"She comes with you at the appropriate level for an executive suite admin if you want her; not an issue. Let's go rattle some cages."

***

Bill's cubby hole had become a storage closet; he couldn't even get in the door. He smiled, made the rounds of a few folks he genuinely liked and respected and headed for the cafeteria. Thank God for WiFi and cell phones, he thought to himself. It was all he could do to suppress the cat-who-just-ate-the-canary grin that would say, "I know a hell of a lot more than you do".

Virginia, his HR person had vacated the terminated facility a couple of weeks earlier and was back at headquarters on some special assignment that no one else in HR either wanted to do or knew how to do. She joined Bill at his corner table just as he was finishing up a heads up to Valerie. Their chat had been short.

"Val? Pack up and get out of there---today. We're moving."

"Where to this time?"

"Back up here."

"How long do you think we'll be there?"

"Long term...I'll give you the details before lunch but let's just say we're out of the euthanasia business. What's your step grade again?"

"I'm a twelve, but that's your fault, that's all you're authorized. Senior VPs get a fourteen---there is no thirteen---executive suite is a fifteen."

"Still no interest in joining the exempt ranks?"

"Not on your life."

"With your seniority what's a step bump worth?"

"A new car...a damn nice new car."

"What about fifteen?"

"A new car and a new house at least in terms of monthly increase as it applies to a mortgage payment."