The Possibilities

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Start shopping, Val. Do not share this insight with anyone on the planet until...after lunch."

"Car shopping or house hunting?"

"Both."

"Oh, my!"

Bill turned his attention to Virginia the HR exec who had worked with him for six years. She was close to him in age and not unattractive. Had they not had to work together in a tough job he definitely would have at least tried to get in her pants...maybe more.

"Bill! I didn't expect you back so soon."

"How's your special project coming, Ginnie?"

"Mind numbing busy work. I'm being punished---or at least put in my place."

"The times they are a changing, Ginnie."

"So I've heard but you wouldn't know it from the deep shit hole I sit it. Not for publication, Bill, but I'm giving notice before the end of the week. I've enjoyed working with you in spite of the shitty work we've had to do but the 'queen bee' has it in for me and I'm not going anywhere in this company. It's time to move on to greener pastures."

"Have you accepted another offer?"

"Verbally...informally over the phone. It's a smaller company but the top job and actually more money. I'm going to miss working with you."

"Have you mailed off the written acceptance yet?"

"Nope, but it's sitting on my desk."

"Do you trust me, Ginnie?"

"More than anyone I've worked with...certainly more than any man I've ever met."

"Okay, then do not mail that letter of acceptance until after lunch. I cannot say anything past that—don't pry---just trust me?"

"Oh, Bill, you've got me all hot and bothered...but then you done that before, whether you knew it or not. Okay, I'll take it on faith. Got to get back to the manure pile."

The next visitor to Bill's new "office" was his young boss.

"Bill! I had no idea you were back up here. I'm really sorry about your office. If I'd known I would have had maintenance straighten it up. Is everything closed out where you've been?"

"That business unit is little more than a memory, Roger."

"Well things have been a little hectic around here with the new guy and all. I don't think any of us really now what we're going to be doing or if we'll still have a job. You've been around quite a while Bill and you certainly have some special talents. I'm sure you'll come out okay."

"If you had a chance to pick and choose, what would you like to do, Roger?"

"Bill, bluntly I don't realistically see a place for my current job in the new organization. I'm a glorified baby sitter—present company excepted, of course; you pretty much do your own thing and are low or no maintenance. The rest of my gaggle is all about pressing their own agendas and pet projects. It's as if someone decided to dump everyone that didn't seem to fit someplace else under me. I didn't get the sense that the new guy was enamored with me. There's nothing remotely functional about my department. I sooth egos, referee playground fights and at the end of the day have no sense that I've really done anything. If I get canned, I'll land on my feet somewhere."

"That's a very mature outlook, Roger. Do you realize that this is probably the most candid dialogue you and I have had in the last two years?"

"Bill, you a dream subordinate; you don't bitch or complain and you don't need any hand holding. As a result---coupled with the fact that your peers are a bunch of insecure prima donnas---I ignore you. It's not because I don't respect you and the crappy jobs you have to do. It's just that the squeaky wheel gets the oil and you never squeak."

"Roger you been a pretty low maintenance boss so I'm not complaining. Frankly, you're a little spineless and too often I think you end up going with the person who yells the loudest rather than the one who is right. Part of the problem, at least in my opinion, is that you don't have a good foundation in the core business. You came up pretty fast. I believe you have a good heart and want to do what's right. You've also got a decent intellect but possibly not quite enough seasoning to always know right from wrong. You're ethical and you treat people with respect. I'd hire you but in all likelihood send you back to the field to run a sales unit."

"We are being pretty candid, aren't we? I always assumed that you didn't have much respect for me---although you never showed it. I regret not spending more time in the field. It's hurt me both in terms of knowledge and instincts--- and respect."

"Hypothetically, Roger, if our roles were reversed, would you have a problem working for me?"

"Hell no, Bill! You know more about this business than almost anyone in the company. You handle awful assignments with dignity. You mentor and develop as well as anyone out there. I used to be pretty impressed with myself...big title...fast track. More and more I feel like an empty suit. I think I'd be a good field manager but that kind of move is unlikely. It's more likely that I'll be reviewing a severance package sooner rather than later. The fact that I am not invited to the 10:00 AM staff meeting pretty much serves as the hand writing on the wall. You've been around for a while...have you got any scuttlebutt?"

"I don't lie very convincingly, Roger but nor am I in a position to share much. A functional reorg shouldn't surprise anyone. It's the new guy's passion. Retire you clubs; there won't be any more corporate golf outings under Mike Kearing. For the record, if you could pick and choose, geographically, where would it be?"

"The southwest."

"Dallas?"

"In a heart beat."

"Family there?"

"Family, college, friends---my wife too. I've already contacted a head hunter there."

"Let's chat later in the morning, Roger."

"You're invited to the ten o'clock staff meeting, aren't you Bill?"

"Uh, huh."

"Is that good news or bad news for Roger?"

"I wasn't sure ten minutes ago before you sat down; I'll find you after the meeting and you'll have to decide but if I can get a couple of other pieces to fit I think you'll be okay with it."

"Am I going to be calling you boss?"

"No, just Bill. I need to chat with someone else I see coming this way. Roger---relax."

Roger departed and Jane Tilman joined Bill at his impromptu office. He'd always liked her and admired her feisty, take no prisoners style. She was an attractive woman a few years older than Bill was with a delightfully biting wit. She was a warrior...not unlike Bill.

"So, Bill, is this cafeteria table rumor central? I just got told that I'm to attend the staff meeting with the new emperor in fifteen minutes---and my boss will not be there. What the fuck, Bill?"

"You always were impatient, Jane. All will become clear in the next hour. CEOs do not call people to their offices to fire them---they have people like me do that. I would expect that the fact that you are part of the new inner sanctum means that...you are part of the new inner sanctum. You know more about every aspect of the business than anyone I know."

"You're going to be there too---aren't you?"

"You betcha."

"Anyone else I should know about?"

"I sense that you'll be pleased with your new peer group."

"You know the whole fucking line up don't you, you evil man?"

"Pretty much."

"Shall we head upstairs?"

"It's about time."

Bill had been to a handful of CEO level senior meetings; most were held in an expansive conference room with literally dozen of attendees. This one was to be a standup meeting in the CEOs office with little more than a handful of people. The CEO made brief introductions of those Bill didn't recognize: the newly created Chief of Staff, a lawyer he assumed Mike had brought with him and a finance type who obviously made the existing CFO who was in the room nervous.

Mike Kearing explained the new functional structure. He clarified for the staff VPs present the role of the new CofS. He briefly outlines the vision he had for a unified executive suite. Then, to the chagrin of the staff officers present, he dismissed them to the charge of the new Chief of Staff, closed the door and addressed the key leaders who would lead distribution/logistics, manufacturing, M&A (the COO) and sales and marketing. These four individuals were to be his combatant commanders.

"Folks, the people that just left the room are no less important than you four are but they are staff. Not that they don't have people reporting to them---good, important people---but their role must always be advisory---because they differ from you four. They don't make or acquire product, the don't move or store product, they don't market and sell product and they don't acquire new products sources or market entries." He had eyeballed each individual as he addressed their specific areas of responsibility.

"You four have no one to pass the buck to other than me and buck passing doesn't sit well with me. You four need to be connected at the hip---you need to get along and work together. Bill can't market and sell it if Bud doesn't make or out-source it---but Bud has to know what to produce, when and how much. If Bud and Bill sneak off together and come up with new product it's all for naught if Jane isn't in the loop and prepared to pick it up, store it and deliver it to our customers. Jack Reynolds, our COO is a damn M&A genius but he's just spinning his wheels if he doesn't know where we need to vertically or horizontally integrate."

The CEO paused to let his words sink in. "Next point. I realize that by creating this structure I've already created a problem because there are functional overlaps. Folks---work it out. I don't expect duplication of effort. I didn't sign on to be a referee of political squabbles. You all have more than enough on your plate that there should be no need to increase your scope of responsibility. If you are truly struggling with figuring out where a given function fits---we'll all talk about it. I hope that the need for me to arbitrarily make those kinds of decisions will not come up often."

"Finally, the people that just left the room need to come back in because they are critical to our success. We have to attract and retain good people, run an ethical and legal business and exceed current accepted business accounting practices---but make no mistake: you four are in charge of this corporation's future, not them. At the same time you are all savvy enough to know that you can't do it without them.

"Okay, that's the end of my stern opening lecture; I don't give those very often. On another note, there are a number of personnel decisions that have to be---or already have been made. The former VP of HR is leaving the corporation to pursue other opportunities. The current CFO will be working exclusively with the COO in M&A at least as long as he is comfortable doing so and can make a valuable contribution. A new IT director will be on the premises by the end of the month. Jane, your boss is staying on in an advisory role as he segues into retirement---and he is not remotely unhappy about it.

"I've spoken with all of you in enough detail to know that each of you have some tough calls to make. It is not my intent, per se to reduce executive head count but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that we have a lot of people with VP titles running around this building. Some thoughts on that count:

"If you've got a good person but just don't have a real job for them, offer them up to your peers. If you have road blocks or incompetents, bite the bullet and get rid of them---don't pass them off. If they could function well at a lower level---offer them that opportunity. Don't let it get personal; if they're salvageable then be a leader and try to steer them right---but don't waste too much time. Now we all need to get back together...but where?

"There's a park a couple of miles from here; I've taken the liberty of reserving a picnic site for noon. We're going to cook some food on a grill and spend a couple of hours connecting and conversing. The email to the world announcing the first changes is already sent. We may stay over there all afternoon. Try to take the first hour or so just getting acquainted before you tackle dividing up the spoils."

The staff came back in, the CEO made one trip round the room and then disappeared as did the Chief of Staff. There was an awkward silence. The COO broke the silence.

"And it's only Tuesday!" Everyone laughed and the tension was broken.

"Collaboration! What a novel idea!" Injected Bud, the head of manufacturing and sourcing.

"I for one couldn't be more pleased." Injected the COO. "I love this company to death but I was neither a good nor a happy Chief Operating Officer. I do know a few things after thirty years here so if I can be of any help to anyone---just ask."

"No ego problems, here." Added the soon to be former CFO. "I never got comfortable in the public role of CFO."

Jane chimed in. "Well. As I see it, old Dr. Doom over there has the biggest pile of shit to dig out of."

"You got that right." Came a chorus of voices as all turned toward Bill.

Bill spoke. "Well, I've developed a certain knack for dismantling businesses; let's hope I can figure out how to actually build one and make it work. The man got it right: we all sink or swim together. Sadly it looks like I've got a bit of 'terminator' work to do first--- hopefully not too much but after ten years as the undertaker I'm so damn excited I almost wet my pants. In closing let me just say...wow!"

Bill grabbed the arm of the new VP of HR on the way out. "Have you got a sec, Ginnie?"

"For you Bill, there is very little I wouldn't do...literally. Thanks for the heads up. How can I help?"

"I need a Vice President of Sales, reporting to me with the seven Field Sales VPs reporting to him. I'm leaning toward Mike Fernandez in Dallas. Do I have to post at that level or go outside and advertise?"

"Under current corporate HR policy---yes. Then again at that level it's been bent before. Is he senior?"

"Other than the guy in LA and that one is not a candidate for anything other than early retirement."

"Would this be a new position?"

"Technically, yes. They previously reported to the COO but he never did anything with them. Three of them are far too junior and two others are on thin ice from my perspective."

"Legally there really isn't an issue. I hate to sound like an HR person but it doesn't hurt that he is Hispanic. Hell, I guess I pretty much set HR policy as of this morning. I'll end you a memo covering our conversation and include a copy of the new corporate HR policy in that area as soon as I get it written."

Bill saw Jack Reynolds the COO lingering and went to him. "If you've got a minute I'd like to take you up on your offer of help. You put together the acquisition of Mike Fernandez's company down in Dallas and I've always sensed that you know him pretty well. Is there any reason at all that I shouldn't ask him to come up here as VP of Sales over the field?"

"First, I'm honored that you'd ask me since I've never paid much attention to you, Bill. It was never personal, I just didn't like what you did for a living...confused the job with the man. I apologize. Secondly, you don't screw around, do you? Third, it would be a brilliant choice. He's always done his own thing even though what he does is BDP over any other field sales organization. I had always hoped with that acquisition that we could spread a healthy dose of his business practice across the rest of the organization. He wouldn't leave Dallas...kids in school and all. But the timing might be right on. His youngest starts college in a month---and all three chose schools in the Midwest...Notre Dame, Northwestern and OSU.

"Bluntly, while I respect the guy a lot if he balks you might have to let him go which would be a shame in view of his business acumen. Hell, he's still running his own company down there. A stint up here would be excellent for his corporate education. Bill, if he calls me---with your permission of course---I'll make it clear that your offer is not negotiable?"

"Let's hope it doesn't get to that but I appreciate your support in advance."

Bill went back to the area where his former boss and his minions hung out. He didn't have an office but he needed a desk and a phone. A pretty young blond admin caught his eye and handed him a stack of messages. The word was out; he needed to return one of those calls immediately. Miraculously an open office had become available. He called the Dallas office, surprised when Mike Fernandez answered the phone himself.

"Congratulations, Bill! I guess I'm safe in assuming you're my new boss?"

"Something like that, Mike. I'm on a pretty tight schedule here but your are the first person whose call I returned---and the only one I plan to until later in the day. You are head and shoulders above your contemporaries, certainly BDP in sales process."

"I appreciate your kind words."

"Now for the unkind words, Mike. You have the worst case of silo mentality I know of; you do exactly what you want, ignore corporate and neither share your toys nor play well with the other field VPs. I'm really faced with only two choices; your former boss, Jack agrees---as a matter of fact he suggested it. I either have to fire your ass or promote you. I prefer the latter.

"I'd like you to accept the position of Corporate Vice President of Sales, reporting to me and directly over the seven field VPs. I would remind you that we are an hour commercial air to Northwestern---thirty-seven minutes by corporate jet and we virtually shuttle daily to Chicago. We are less than four hours by car to Notre Dame---and a twenty minute drive to The Ohio State University campus. I need a quick answer."

"You're damned near as blunt as I am partner. Put me on hold and let me talk to the wife. I'm going to miss running my own show but..."

"You're going to have a bigger show to run up here. I don't have time for micro management and marketing is totally fucked up and needs a lot of work. I need a strong, no nonsense leader. I need consistent sales process across the corporation. With a few exceptions what you do down in Texas works. The other VPs can't BS you."

"I'll call you back in ten minutes. Do I get to name my successor?"

"Nope. I have a candidate in mind unless you have violent objections...my former boss, Roger."

"He looks the part but I always sensed he was a little...spineless?"

"Yeah, me to, but he's got a decent brain and the charisma to pull it off until he learns the job---and you'll have your thumb on him and won't let him screw anything up."

"Sure. He's okay; he'll learn a lot down here and he won't be able to screw it up. Okay. How soon?"

"Yesterday."

"Ten minutes, chief."

Bill went to find Roger. He found him talking to the pretty young admin.

"Bill! Listen, I figured you might need some admin support until Ginnie gets back; Rebecca here is at your service."

"Great! Roger, we need to chat. Give me a sec to get a couple of admin details taken care of. Rebecca can you pull up some sort of standard boiler plate job offer and acceptance letters?"

"Yes sir. There are several to choose from."

"Rebecca, just pick the least obnoxious ones. I need...go ahead and take that call."

Rebecca did so. "It's for you, sir, it's Mr. Fernandez in Dallas; I can't transfer it to..."

"Let me just take the phone from you right here, Rebecca."

"Mike?"

"Bill! Yes."

"Good. Later."

"Okay...where was I. I need two letters one to Mike Fernandez confirming his acceptance of the offer to become Corporate VP of Sales. I also need a second one to this individual here that I jotted down offering him the position of Southwestern VP of Field Sales. Fax, email and mail the first one, I'll wait for the second one."

Rebecca smiled; she was already entering data into her keyboard. A few seconds later she handed him the second letter. Roger was standing a few yards away. Bill walked over to him and handed him the formal offer.