All Comments on 'The Private Diary of Alexander Pope'

by BlackShanglan

Sort by:
  • 17 Comments
ishtatishtatover 19 years ago
Exceptional

This is exceptional. The capture of Pope's complex character, both strong and weak points is superb.

Have you ever read "A letter from Mr Colley Cibber to Mr Pope, Inquiring into the Motives that Might Induce him in His Satyrical Works....." It's an account of Pope being taken whoring and the dangers he almost fell into because of his physical shortcomings. Pope never replied (which was unusual)to the humiliation of Cibbers pamphlet and I thought you might like to consider doing so on his behalf.

pope32768pope32768over 19 years ago
A wonderful tale!

Wonderfully done! Sweet and romantic (and arousing, too), and yet so true to Pope's prickly character as we know it. So in this version of reality, John Serle (birth record missing) and his wife Sarah (marriage record missing) are presumably the same person, and Serle's daughters, who are of record, are really Pope's. Furthermore, Serle dies as Serle shortly after Pope's death, and survives as Sarah, last recorded living with her married daughter in 1783.

I wonder if you know Harry Turtledove's story "And So To Bed", an excerpt from the journal of an alternative Samuel Pepys, who inspired by his subhuman "sim" servants imported from Virginia (what we would call _Homo erectus_) devises the theory of evolution more than a century in advance of our world. It's reprinted in Turtledove's collection _A Different Flesh_.

(I didn't choose my anonym in reference to Alexander, really!)

impressiveimpressiveover 19 years ago
EXQUISITE!

I am in awe. Supremely told and awesomely crafted. ~Imp

widespreadinterestswidespreadinterestsover 19 years ago
Far from the usual Lit fare,

a gem in tone and in story. It may be a little difficult for someone not familiar with Pope, but that is part of the pleasure. I only wish you had included his magical grotto in the tale somehow.

carsonshepherdcarsonshepherdover 19 years ago
Wonderful.

Only an author of your talent could concieve and execute something this literary-minded, and yet still make it readable and fun. Love it, as always.

sweetnpetitesweetnpetiteover 19 years ago
Amazing

I had suspected, all along but the ending was still beautiful and amazing.

I cried. (don't tell anyone)

AnonymousAnonymousover 19 years ago
A brilliant romp

Thank you for a heartfelt yet comic turn--worthy of Pope. You caught the man's character. And the spirit of the Augustan age.

How the hell did you learn to write 18th century prose?

Perhaps you'll try one in couplets.

By the way, my favorite line of iambic pentameter is from Pope's Dunciad" "And the fresh vomit flows, forever green"

yuiyuiover 19 years ago
You are so very gifted.

There are lots of people here who write really well, but only a few, like you, who boggle my mind. I sat on my steps this morning, smoking a cigarette (and I don't even smoke, someone left them at my house) and read the diary out loud, just to enjoy the cadence of your sentences. I know you hear it everyday, but you are *really* talented. More, please, more...

PoussinPoussinover 19 years ago
music for the soul

I read it out loud. I did start reading in silence and I am not sure at which point I started reading out loud but, I caught myself doing it.

I got watery eyes. I was moved deeply by this piece.

Thank you!

minsueminsueover 19 years ago
Beautiful

Well crafted and beautifully told, Shanglan, which came as no surprise.

angelicminxangelicminxabout 19 years ago
I am left speechless...

I am truly a romantic soul and shed several tears during the reading of this wonderfully written, glorious tale. Thank you for posting to the thread that bade me to read it, as I likely would not have discovered it on my own. The characters came to life for me and pulled deliciously on my heartstrings. The language was quite exquiste. All I can say is "BRAVO! Well done." Sadly, all I can give is a 5, though it deserves so much more!

Dar~Dar~about 19 years ago
Shanglan, My love

Again, your beautiful art work enchants me. I loved this story. It has laid claim to a spot on my list of favorite reads. Thank you so much for bringing this story to life.

Stella_OmegaStella_Omegaover 18 years ago
Huzzah, Huzzah!

My hat's off to you, such a fine accomplishment is this!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 18 years ago
A Fine Work

I so very much enjoyed this! The flow of language, the unfolding of the tale, the building of emotions...I was very taken by it. Thank you so much.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 18 years ago
Lovely

This piece was absolutely amazing from beginning to end. I was struck by the flow of the words, the absolute dedication to bringing the flavor of the age so seamlessly to life. I may have been one of the few who was totally shocked when he touched Kate and didn't find she to be a he *lol*. I expected Searle to be the lover, but had been surprised when she's reavealed. Delightful. I look forward to reading more of your work.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Captivating

What amazing writing, pure poetry, You conger such poignant images and capture so many nuances of the human condition

kiwiplumkiwiplumover 2 years ago

So grateful to have found your wonderful work and just sorry that you no longer post here.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous