All Comments on 'The Rainbow'

by sack

Sort by:
  • 17 Comments
~hellbaby~~hellbaby~over 19 years ago
Better each time Around

Another treat!Thought provoking.Thanks Sack! My interpretation changes with each read. I've read it thrice so far so it's like three stories for the price of one.

Perhaps not the best to read waiting for the doctors to figure out what's wrong with my insides,but a great story nonetheless.

tolyktolykover 19 years ago
Interesting

You write extremely well, and I did enjoy the story overall. However, the jesus reference threw me a bit, as I'm not religious at all. Still, good job! :)

Bridget69Bridget69over 19 years ago
Good and different.

Very touching story which makes you ponder life events. Loved the metaphors and spiritual aspect.

AnonymousAnonymousover 19 years ago
An interesting piece,

inspiring and touching. Nicely done.

AnonymousAnonymousover 19 years ago
I enjoyed it up to the Jesus infererence

Well written though. Just not my cup of tea,having sex with god.

bearleebearleeover 19 years ago
Great story

I would have felt the same way as the last person to comment, and I guess I'd have to read this one again, but I don't believe Pam was making love with God-not in my opinion anyway. There's something so much deeper here but at this point, on a first read, I can't put my finger-maybe that's as it should be. Very well written to say the least and one that lets everyone reading wonder-about many things really. Well done Sack!

sacksackover 19 years agoAuthor
Author comment

I wanted to the address this issue of Pam "making love with God." Ray was never intended to be God, and if you read carefully, there are clues to why he could not be God. I don't want to give it away, but there are other possibilities here...

cookiejarcookiejarover 19 years ago
Beautiful...

What a lovely story! I actually teared up over this one. I never thought of Ray as God, but the beauty of the story is what the reader makes of it. Please continue with such masterful writing, I always check your stories out.

Cookie

Du LacDu Lacover 19 years ago
Esoteric Parable...

Sack,

First, this is your best work. I am honored as I mentioned before that my poems helped in any small way to inspire this beautiful story. May I comment on the "sex with God" discussion here. Not promoting my poems, but if one has read them they will see exactly what you were representing in this story. This "God" and "Sex" thinking has been silenced for years.... therefore the thought of the two discussed and imaged within the same sentence may blow some minds lol... But this story is about so much more... it is about choices in life,loss, emotions, need, spirituality, physical essence, the mind, hope, faith, unconditional love and letting go... I thank you for writing it and hope that so many others will enjoy and understand the truth behind the rhetoric...

Love

Du Lac

AnonymousAnonymousover 19 years ago
Read the others

I disagree. While interesting, this is NOT Sack's best work. Read his other stories.

Du LacDu Lacover 19 years ago
You can disagree...

You can disagree it is your right... I have read his other works... and I still stand behind my statement.. with my name showing..can you say the same?

Du Lac

ravenmxravenmxover 19 years ago
Another good story

At first it was a little strange, I kind of thought Ray was god as well. I did go back a couple times and skim and see references where he is not.

dcpoet44dcpoet44almost 19 years ago
due to the realities....

of illness in the piece, i feel there is a justification of the inspirational aspect. i don't feel it as a jesus reference in my thought process. i'm seeing as one working through the illness and finding a way to deal with the calamity effects of sickness. climbing that rainbow is a beautiful metaphor to recovery. i love this little bit as as it is an incredible metaphor:

Somewhere over the rainbow

bluebirds fly

Birds fly over the rainbow

Why then, oh why can't I?

If happy little bluebirds fly

Beyond the rainbow

Why, oh why can't I?

********

this is a wonderful piece of writing. god can be anything but the traditional sense that many of know of. god can be a rainbow and why not?

certainly what we know of god in a christian form is not of anything that i perceive of as being anything that causes any inspiration. that is my take. god is what we make of it to be. and that is what it should be. for those that beg to differ. that is their right. sack.....this is my interpretation of it. i could be wrong but i love a challenge.......don

neonlyteneonlyteover 18 years ago
Delicately Told

Nicely told Sack, not an easy subject to explore.

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
Very beautifully and

courageously written Sack, you have a way with words that can bring a reader to feel what your characters feel. I envy that.

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
Ray as the messenger & escort?

The romantic in me believes that Ray was sent as a messenger to bring Pam home, as her journey in this imperfect world was at an end. He was also sent to escort her on her journey. There are those who believe that the spirits of those who drown are caught between heaven and earth, unable to make the transition. Assuming that be the case, Ray was called upon by whatever force rules us all to gather Pam's spirit up and escort her to her final reward. Did Pam make love with Ray or was it her mind doing wonderful things as her system began the transition? Sack it is a wonderful story. Thank You. Ronnie W.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 16 years ago
amazing

I have read this many times and sadly I have never commented. This story made me cry. I also have had to sit back and really think about the stoy and comments that other people have left. I had to reread this but then one night it came to me. Ray embodies the Holy Trinty Father Son and God. How ever Ray shows up as pam's lover. Then he shows up as the picture of Jesus. when Pam realizes that the reason he looks like someone she knows is because of the small painting in her room, and then as the holy ghost when Dave has the picture.Ray turns into what ever form Pam needs at the time. This story is amazing please keep writing!

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous