The Return Ch. 04

Story Info
Things begin to heat up.
7.7k words
4.74
87.9k
40

Part 4 of the 6 part series

Updated 11/01/2022
Created 07/08/2008
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Robert Armestead

"Revenge is a dish best served cold"
-Les liaisons dangereuses

*

The old Victorian mansion appeared to have been plucked right out of an Edgar Allen Poe novel. Overlooking the highest point of the town, Moon Key Point, the structure's stonework assembled into three massive wings, each wing capped with an immense copper dome long since weathered into striking verdigris. The highest tower rose slightly to the left of the entire mansion, a beacon which reminded many of the townsfolk of their landlord, the Armesteads.

Staring from a large window located below the tower, Robert Armestead gazed down on the McKenzie estate. He stood next to the glass, his head pinched as he scowled. He knew Geoff McKenzie was probably there right now. Robert rubbed his scar, an adornment left by Geoff seven years ago. The scar was a product of glass raking across his forehead down to his cheek bone when Geoff slammed Robert's head through the car window. He grimaced remembering how he thought he may have lost an eye but, after the Emergency Room physician cleansed his wounds, he was relieved to find out it was only pooling blood that blinded him.

We have some catching up to do, Geoff, he thought turning away from the window. Robert sat in the rich brown leather and wood chair and swiveled around to examine the paperwork on his ridiculously expensive antique desk. Studying one of the documents, he frowned and crumpled the sheet of paper tossing it into the waste basket.

"Why is it, every attempt I make to gain further control of this region fails because of those damned McKenzie's?" he screamed. Picking up a heavy crystal paperweight, he hurled it against the far wall. The dense crystal refused to shatter; however, the heavy object left a softball sized hole in the lustrous wood panel that decorated the four walls of his study. Glaring at the recent addition to the paneling, Robert shrugged.

The cause of his recent tantrum derived from his failed attempt to purchase a sizeable piece of property just north of the city limits. The valuable parcel of land would have given him full water rights to the region. His hired land surveyors had sent him notice that the area he desired was already owned, the current possessor...Mr. Keith Edward McKenzie, who vanished over six months ago. This now meant the current owner was none other than his worst nightmare, Geoff. A thought came to him causing a wicked smile to cross his lips. Tapping his temple, he said aloud, "Julie McKenzie will have fifty percent rights to the property. And, sweet Julie is betrothed to my dear brother, Neville. Maybe I can salvage something out this yet."

Robert snatched the phone and dialed his law office. After one ring, a familiar and very feminine voice sounded, "Armestead Law Offices, how may I direct your call?"

"Samantha, this is Mr. Armestead."

"Yes sir, what can I do for you Mr. Armestead?"

"Samantha, patch me in to Wilson."

"Yes sir, right away."

Robert smiled. He remembered the saucy little blond on the other end of the phone. She certainly gave him a run for his money, actually quite a bit of his money. It took a week of wining, dining and gifts to finally bed that bitch. And, oh what a wildcat she was. For a while there, he thought she was literally going to suck the flesh off his prick. He was smiling when the falsetto voice of Wilson Goodman leached over the phone receiver.

"Good morning Mr. Armestead. How may I assist you?"

"Wilson, find Neville and tell him I need to speak to him right away!"

"Very good, Mr. Armestead, I will get on it, post haste."

Placing the phone in its cradle, Robert closed his eyes and rubbed the bridge of his nose. God, I hate listening to that weasel, he thought. If he wasn't such a ruthless bastard in court, I would have dumped his ass long ago."

Robert stood and walked out of the study. As he strolled down one of the many hallways, he passed a comely servant bent over polishing brass fixtures. He always hired the best looking people he could find. It never mattered if they had a spick of intelligence; hell, even a monkey can learn. But, as he glanced at his servant's sweet ass, he grinned thinking it was always better to surround yourself with beautiful things.

Making his way into the foyer, Robert called for Esteban, his butler. Several seconds passed, before the gruff old voice of his beloved manservant sounded.

"May I be of service, Master Robert?"

"Yes, Esteban. Would you have my car brought around please?"

"Very good, sir." Esteban paused and asked, "Will you be driving yourself Master Robert?"

"Sorry about that Esteban, yes, I will be driving myself today. Have the Stingray brought around."

"Very good, sir, excellent choice!" Esteban bowed his head and turned away.

Robert walked outside and surveyed the landscape. His grandfather, Nathanial, spared no expense with the lavish gardens and towering fountains that peppered the grounds. His father, Thaddeus was more into the collection of antiques and power.

The gardens brought back disturbing memories of when his father brought him and Neville to live with Grandfather Nathanial. Not saying why, their mother refused and said the boys must remain with her. He recalled the horrific argument between his mother and father. Two days later, he set eyes on the grandeur of the mansion and its incredible landscape. Thaddeus Armestead divorced his mother. Robert would never again see his mother. Several months following the move, she died from a terrible traffic accident, the hit and run driver never found.

In less than a minute, he could hear the roar of the 63 Corvette's engine as his chauffeur slash mechanic maneuvered the sleek fully restored jet black Stingray around the drive.

The driver stepped out of the car and held the door as Robert made his way down the steps.

"Thank you, Matthew, you can go now."

"Yes, sir." The chauffeur quickly strode back the way he came.

Robert slid into the driver's seat, continually amazed by the fit and comfort of the bucket seat. Placing his hand on the steering wheel, Robert throttled the accelerator feeling the torque run through the car, taking pleasure from the power surging into his lean frame. The chauffeur stopped and turned seeing blue smoke billowing from where the car last stood, the smell of seared rubber assault his senses. Shaking his head, the servant turned and continued back to the garage.

With the top down, the Stingray convertible whipped along the road, Robert's hair flying in every direction. His bronze tinted Maui Jim sunglasses shielding him from the sun's glare, Robert reveled in the speed and nimbleness of the vehicle. Driving at top speeds recklessly over the highways of the town was a catharsis for him.

The car hugged the many curves of the road as he increased speed, the speedometer reading 75+ mph. As Robert hurtled around the next corner, a small dark gun metal gray roadster suddenly appeared directly in front of him. Cursing, Robert slung the wheel over causing the car to twist to the right throwing the back end to the left. Correcting for the overturn, the Stingray spun around, Robert losing control of the speeding car. The roadster zoomed past the out of control Corvette, the driver executing a perfect spin to the left bringing the roadster around facing the Vette. Coming to a stop, the gray car waited as the Vette, after several 360's, gained control, coming to rest about fifty yards away facing the roadster.

Robert sat frozen; his hands gripping the steering wheel so tightly, his knuckles were white. His breathing labored, he stared at the reason for his near death. Releasing the wheel, he carefully opened the door and crawled out. He leaned over, holding the door as he exhaled and then breathed in a huge volume of air. He could hear a car door slam shut and knew the other driver was undoubtedly approaching. He didn't want the driver to see him like this so Robert straightened and, again, took a deep breath. Turning to the approaching driver, he thought, son of a fucking bitch, Geoff McKenzie, in the flesh!

"Well, as I live and breathe, little Bobby Armestead! Nice set of wheels there, Bobby. Sure can spin on a dime," laughed Geoff McKenzie. "Hey, just a reminder Bobby, this isn't the U.K. We drive on the right side of the road over here."

"Fuck off, McKenzie. I'll drive where I want and how I want."

"Yeah, I'm sure you will, Bobby." Bobby stepped back when Geoff briskly strode up to the Corvette.

Standing a foot away, Geoff stared at Robert, his face showing amusement. "You know Bobby; I made a mistake leaving when I did. There was so much I had to finish but never had the chance. Maybe former Sheriff Belamy didn't know how to treat a rapist but I sure do."

"I was never charged," snarled Robert becoming increasingly angry at the name Bobby. "And, dear old Geoff, she wanted it, wanted it bad. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if that brat cunt of hers is my daugh..."

A hand, curled around his wind pipe, pinched off the rest of his words. Robert grasped his hands trying desperately to break free of the iron hold, but, even with both hands, he couldn't budge Geoff's steel grip. Finally, Geoff released him. Robert fell to his knees gasping for air.

"Listen genius, I am back in town. I don't care who you are, how much money you have or how many people you have up that greasy ass of yours, if I hear you badmouth Sarah, MY DAUGHTER, or any other member of my family or friends...well, let's just say you won't be the happy asshole you are now. Understand?"

Robert refused to respond until Geoff leaned down. Nodding, he whispered from his injured throat, "Yes, I understand."

"Good!" Geoff turned and walked back to his car. Almost halfway to the Lexus, he stopped and spun around. "I gotta say, little Bobby, nice set of wheels!"

Robert didn't look but heard the roadster's door open and close, the engine switch on and the sound of gravel flying as the roadster sped off.

When McKenzie was gone, Robert stood and slammed his fist on hood of the Vette. "God damn it!" he bellowed as he glared at the dent. "McKenzie I will have your ass, just like your dad." He stared down the road before getting back into the car.

********************

Geoff wanted to murder that sleaze. He came close. When Armestead made that brainless statement about Sarah and Becky, he almost did lose it. He could feel Bobby's windpipe in his grip as the slime struggled in his grasp. It was Sarah and his daughter which prevented him from fulfilling his desire to crush his windpipe. Knowing he wouldn't see them again prevented him effecting any further injury on the Armestead.

The wind rushing against his face, Geoff eventually calmed down and began to enjoy the drive. Soon, he was parked on the side of the road staring out onto the ocean. He watched as the three to four foot waves slapped against the sand. This was where the remnants of his father's sail boat was found. He knew there was a swift southern current; therefore, the wreckage had to have drifted from further north and that meant they were sailing to Oregon. To be precise, they were heading to Coos Bay, Oregon.

The shadow of a smile attempted to escape from his lips, as he thought of Terry and Jack Davenport. Terry and Jack were old friends of his parents, going back to the sixties when Jack and his dad, while in the Marines, endured the 68 Tet offensive in Vietnam. After the war, Geoff's dad and Jack started their own construction business in San Francisco. The business took off and was very successful for the two men. So successful his father branched to Moon Key Bay, where the business evolved into construction and design. Jack and Terry remained in San Fran until he retired and moved to Coos Bay, Oregon.

They were going to see Jack and Terry. He thought for a second and decided maybe a drive to Oregon was in his best interest. First however, he had to go to Moon Key Harbor. It was time for a little snooping around.

The roadster breezed along the highway as Geoff considered his options. First order of business was looking into his parents' disappearance. He was uneasy about the so-called sinking of the Annabella. She was a superbly built sailing sloop and both his father and mother were top-notch sailors. They would have more than enough experience to handle a sudden gale. Plus, the Coast Guard reports indicated very little debris from the wreckage. Nah, something just didn't add up.

Just as he entered the city limits, Geoff spied a black Escalade coming up fast behind him. From the look of the big SUV, Geoff had a pretty good idea it was for him. A wicked grin crossed his face. Good ole Bobby, can't leave well enough alone can you.

Maintaining his speed, Geoff waited for the Escalade to catch up. Just as the big car was only a few car lengths behind, he signaled to indicate he was moving to the slow lane. Geoff laughed as the black beast immediately changed lanes. Geoff ceased his lane merger remaining in the fast lane. Before the Cadillac could react, he slammed on the brakes, the roadster's tires screaming as a plume of smoke erupted from the tires. As soon as the Escalade passed by, Geoff bore down on the accelerator, the Lexus LF-A responding with a burst of speed. Now, he was following the SUV. When the big car passed, Geoff saw two men up front, the driver a swarthy looking gentleman with several days' growth beard and thick sunglasses. As he passed the roadster, he didn't look very happy with the sudden change of order.

Geoff continued to follow the Cadillac SUV for a couple of miles until the Escalade turned off at the next exit. As he passed, Geoff waved at the driver, the dark haired driver scowling back.

Chuckling, Geoff drove on for the harbor. As he turned off on the Moon Key Harbor exit, he stared at the tall masts exposed beyond the firs and spruces that partially hid the marina from the highway. Pulling up to Jenny's Bait and Tackle, he parked the sports car and waited. Geoff had a hunch which soon proved out; the black Escalade arrived at the marina. Shaking his head, he exited the vehicle standing by the rear fender as the SUV pulled up and stopped a few stalls away. He waited for a minute, satisfied the occupants were more inclined to watch him than mix it up. Opening the car door, he leaned down and felt around under the dash. Contented, he stood and, glancing at the Cadillac SUV, strolled into the tackle shop.

Stepping into the shop, Geoff looked around for Jenny. "Hey, Jenny! Where are you, ya shitty excuse for a fisherman? JENNY!"

"Shut your pie hole, I'm comin!" The muffled voice came from the back office behind the counter. Seconds later, an old weather beaten ship's wooden hatchway used as the door to the office, crashed open causing the adjoining walls to vibrate.

"What loud mouth sombitch is screamin for Jenny?" bellowed the biggest man Geoff had ever laid eyes on. The shop keeper had to be six foot eight easy with the weight to back up his height, somewhere in the three hundred plus range. Huge red cheeks and a matching beefy nose adorned his pock marked and scared face, locks of deep brick-red hair frosted gray from age hung loosely over his massive shoulders. Brilliant blue eyes shone from within squinting lids as most of his face hid behind a substantial nest of gnarled reddish gray whiskers.

Moon Key's own Sasquatch stomped into the shop and stared down at Geoff. "What the hell you want, ya flea bitten excuse for a McKenzie?"

"Ah Jenny, how I've missed that handsome face of yours...at least what I can see of it. I'd thought for sure they would have taken your ass back to the zoo by now."

"Why, you little piss ant!" Surprisingly for his size, the behemoth adeptly seized Geoff, before he could react, in a mighty bear hug lifting him high off the floor.

"As I live and breathe, the prodigal son returns. Ah, it's good to see ya Geoff. I missed having to boot your ass out of the shop."

Gasping for breath, Geoff hissed, "Ahhg...put...me...down ya big gorilla!"

The giant guffawed and released the smaller man, Geoff falling on his backside. Jenny offered a hand and Geoff flew upward. Shaking the big man's hand, Geoff's disappeared within that bear paw but had a wide smile for the walking mountain.

"Jen, it's great to see you again. Where's the little woman?"

The big man's grin vanished. "Marta passed away two years ago. That god damn cancer took her away from me." The gruff burly voice quivered with heartache as he spoke about his wife and Geoff touched the large man's enormous arm.

"I'm truly sorry, Jen. I'm gonna miss her something terrible. She was such a wonderful and kind woman."

"Aye...and you'll be missing her chowder, don't deny it." Jenny grinned gazing at Geoff.

"God yes, she made the best New England clam chowder this side of the Rockies!" Geoff lamented.

For a moment, they both were silent. Finally, Geoff said, "Jenarde, I need some answers and I'm hoping you can help."

"Your mom and pop?"

"Yeah."

"Real sorry bout Mac. He was a good man. And, your mother...Annabella was a beautiful woman and so full of life."

Geoff looked up at Jenny. He knew the big man preferred to be called Jenny instead of his given name, Jenarde. Geoff and his father were only a few that would dare call him Jenarde. Lord help anyone else who did.

"Whatever I can do for you, Geoff...anything at all."

"Did you see anyone hanging around the dock, anybody or anything that didn't seem right...out of place the day before my parents departed?" Jenny thought for a second before shaking his head and saying no.

Suddenly, his eyes widened and said, "Wait a minute, there was a couple a guys the day before. They wore dark suits, one unshaven. They both were wearin' those thick black sunglasses...you know, like the Blues Brothers. Hell, if they'd been wearin black fedora's I'd a thought they were the Blues Brothers."

"The reason I noticed 'em was they pulled up in one of those big black SUV's, dunno what kind." Geoff stared out the window of the shop. "Like an Escalade?"

"Yeah, that was the car, a Caddy SUV!"

"Anyways they split up after gettin out of that black monster. The unshaven one started checkin' out the east docks and the other guy went the other way. They were lookin for somethin or somebody. I don't think they found them though."

"Why's that?"

"After a short time, they both came back, got into the car and left."

"Jen, did you tell the authorities about those two guys?"

"Nah, never occurred to me. Why? Wait a moment...ya think they might be involved with your dad's accident?"

"Don't know, Jenny but something stinks about the Annabella going down. Dad would have been able to weather the strongest gale force winds. From what the Coast Guard told me, the storm was just a moderate blow."

Geoff could see Jenny frown before saying, "Yeah, you're right bout your dad. Puzzled me at first but the Coast Guard seemed satisfied."

"Well, I won't take up any more of your time, Jen. I've got a few more things I got to take care of."

"You're welcome anytime, Geoff. Don't be a stranger. Hey! Did ya ever get back with that pretty little thing you were on about before ya left. Never could figure why she would be with the likes of you!"

Geoff laughed and nodded, "Yeah, we're back together. And you're right; she could do a hell of lot better than me."

"Ah well, maybe she'll come to her senses," he chuckled.

Geoff went to shake hands with huge man only to be, again, embraced in a bear hug.

"Take care, lad. Like I said, don't be a stranger."

The young man nodded and left the shop. Standing by the roadster were the two from the Escalade. When they saw him leave the store, they waited as he approached.

Before Geoff could say anything, the one with the three day beard spoke. "Mr. Armestead never had the chance to offer you a proper welcome. So he sent us. Consider this a welcome back party."