The Rhythm Method

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I wasn't sure you'd follow," Sam said.

Ralph laughed. "It was about fifty-fifty," he said to his friend, glancing in Charlotte's direction.

"Well, I'm glad you joined us, Ralph," Charlotte said with a smile.

Ralph nodded, even showing the hint of a smile at the corners of his own mouth.

"Did you tell them at the stables that you won't be able to work this weekend?" Sam asked.

"Yeah. They were fine with it. I haven't missed a weekend in months, so there were no issues."

"You work at the stables on weekends?" asked Charlotte with a surprised look.

"Yeah. I do it in exchange for them boarding Chuck. Sir Charles."

"Chuck? I love it," said a giggling Charlotte. "Much, much better than Charlie."

"I've heard that Charlie is an unpopular nickname," said Ralph with a smile.

"I've heard that too," replied Charlotte. "How very interesting."

"Hello?" piped in Sam. "I'm still here. You two are getting on like old friends, and I feel like a third wheel."

Charlotte giggled. "Sorry, Sam. We had a conversation about Sir Charles the other day. Your friend Ralph seems to have a knack for surprising me. Every time I think I have him figured out, he throws me a twist I wasn't expecting."

"That's Ralph," joked Sam.

Ralph turned towards Charlotte, locking eyes with her. "I could say the very same thing about you. You come across as being stuck up, but with your guard down..." He shrugged, not finishing the thought and realizing he may have just been too honest with her.

Charlotte's tummy did a little flip inside. Was this beast of a man actually thinking about her? It caused her to break into an involuntary smile.

Ralph caught the smile and the twinkle in her bright green eyes. He was struck once again by how beautiful this woman was. Returning her smile, he pointed one of his huge fingers in her direction.

"You're trouble," he told her.

"I don't think you men understand what it's like for a woman in the winery. Although it's changing some, it is still very much a man's world. I have to remain as professional as possible, or I risk being dismissed as a silly woman."

Both men looked at her, realizing there was a lot of truth in what she was saying. Ralph nodded, then got up from the table. "You want to split a pitcher of beer? Five dollar pitchers until eight."

"Sure, why not?" said Charlotte. I'm supposed to be one of the guys tonight."

Ralph returned to the table with a pitcher and three mugs, then sat and poured for each of them. Grabbing his mug with a giant paw, he held it up.

"Cheers," he said loudly.

Sam and Charlotte clinked glasses with his, and they all took a pull on their beer. The small bar had gotten crowded, and Charlotte hadn't noticed when Jeff walked in and settled down on the other side of the room, a companion on his arm. The girl looked just barely old enough to drink, and was dressed like a street corner hooker. A thick layer of poorly done makeup completed her visage. Jeff was pawing at her, as they laughed and sloppily kissed while sitting there at the table.

Ralph glance over and caught sight of them, and his eyes filled with anger. He was glad that Charlotte had her back to them, but she would inevitably see them before the night was through. As much as he wanted that ass to get caught, the soft Ralph that he hid inside did not want to see Charlotte get hurt.

A short time later, Ralph watched as the couple got up together and headed toward the bathrooms. He did a double take when he saw Jeff follow the girl into the ladies room. He considered going over there to speak with Jeff, but before he could, Charlotte rose from her seat.

"Excuse me, gentlemen. I'll be back in a minute," she said.

"Fuck," Ralph thought. Well, the prick deserves whatever he gets. He watched Charlotte walk towards the bathroom, and Ralph leaned across to Sam.

"The boyfriend is here. He came in with some tramp, and they went into the bathroom together. Get ready for some fireworks," Ralph whispered with a tone that took Sam by surprise as much as the information did. The man cared about what was about to happen.

Sam's eyes went wide with surprise. "Are you fucking kidding me," he asked. "Holy shit!"

Charlotte walked into the small bathroom and went into the unoccupied stall. She quickly realized there was a man in with a woman in the only other stall, so she rushed, wanting to get out as quickly as possible. She peed, wiped, and flushed, then went to the sink to wash her hands. She froze when she heard the familiar voice come from the occupied stall.

"That's it. Suck it you little bitch. Suck it good, you little tramp."

With a look of shock on her face, Charlotte turned to the stall door, which was slightly ajar. Taking a deep breath, she reached out and pushed the door open. There stood Jeff, his pants pulled down, his cock in the mouth of the young girl squatting down in front of him. Jeff turned to her, recognition showing on his face.

"You fuck!" Charlotte screamed, turning away and storming out of the bathroom. A few moments later, Jeff followed, buckling his belt as he scurried after her. She was near the table, sobbing as Jeff approached.

"You don't understand, Charlotte. She doesn't mean anything to me. You do. You're going to be my wife."

"Well, you're at least half wrong there, Jeff. I will NEVER be your wife, not after..." She waved her hand as the tears choked the words off.

She turned to Sam with tears in her eyes. "Will you take me to my car?"

"Sure," Sam said as he got up from the table.

Charlotte gave Ralph a quick glance, holding back a sob, then waved her hand, unable to form words and walked away with Sam.

"Come back here, you fucking bitch," screamed Jeff. "You don't just walk away from me like that," he fumed, the other people in the small run down bar taking notice. He took a few steps toward the door, and Ralph stood and put a huge hand into the middle of Jeff's chest.

"Don't," Ralph growled at him.

Jeff looked up at the big man and back at the retreating form of Charlotte. He would have plenty of time to fix this later, he thought, unable to admit to himself that he was afraid of Ralph. He remained silent, reminding himself that Charlotte knew she wouldn't find any better men than him in this dime store town. He was a prize, and she would forgive him and fall back into line once he proposed properly. Of course, now he would have to get a bigger ring than he had planned, he realized. "Fuck," he said out loud.

"Yeah you really fucked up," said Ralph. He had not moved, and there was no way he was letting this asshole follow Charlotte and abuse her for his own mistake. "I put up with your shit all day, listening to go on about your stable of fillies and how Charlotte was just a pretty thing to keep in reserve for when you wanted to settle down and get married. If I were you pal, I'd get that little whore you were in the bathroom with and go have yourself some break up sex because Charlotte will never forgive you if I have anything to do with it."

He pushed Jeff back into a chair and towered over him, "In case you're not sure if I'm serious, try to see Charlotte tonight and see what happens." With that, he turned on his heel and walked out the door, then jogged across the parking lot to catch Charlotte before she left. He needn't have worried, as the woman was standing beside the car, holding onto it as tears streamed silently down her face. Sam stood by awkwardly, unsure of what to say or do. Ralph had felt that bad before, but he deeply buried the memory of visiting his girlfriend at college and seeing her with another guy.

He had told no one, letting even his best friend Sam think he despised the girl for leaving him in this town and going off to college. The truth was he had encouraged her to go and promised to visit as often as he could afford to. The betrayal he had felt after travelling for hours to see her, only to find her in bed with some frat jock had been a physical jolt to his whole being. He looked at Charlotte and the way she clutched her arms about her body and he knew exactly how she felt.

Taking charge of the situation, he walked over to the pair. "Give me your keys, I'll drive you home," he said with a gruffness that belied the concern he felt for the girl. Tonight would be hard for her, he thought, with a knowledge that only personal experience can provide.

"Oh that's not..." she began.

"Keys," Ralph demanded, cutting her off and holding out his giant paw. Not giving her a chance to argue further he turned to Sam. "Follow us to her place and you can drive me back to pick up my car."

"Yeah, okay," Sam agreed as he fished his own keys out and turned toward his car. Ralph took Charlotte's arm and steered her around to the passenger's side, opening the door for her and helping her in. After a failed attempt to get into the car, which made the still teary eyed woman smile, Ralph moved the seat back to maximum setting and finally managed to climb behind the wheel.

They drove in silence with Ralph constantly checking behind him to ensure Sam was following. While he did not want to see Charlotte treated so badly or left deserted and unable to drive herself home, he still wasn't sure who she truly was. Was she the stuck-up bitch or the friendly easy-going girl he had seen glimpses of this week?

Charlotte watched Ralph as he drove, so confident and in control. He was the take charge kind of guy she had always fantasized about. That asshole Jeff had seemed to be everything she wanted in her escape from the poverty she grew up in. She had the thought the price to pay for getting involved with him would have been dealing with his arrogance and ego on a daily basis. She had let herself believe he deserved to be arrogant; he had it all. The wealth and prestige that came with being part of his family, the sky rocketing career, and the popularity of a high school quarterback.

How could she not have seen what an asshole he was? How could she have been so blind to how he treated her for so long? The image of how he had spoken to that little slut as she sucked his cock made her cringe, a sudden wave of anger replacing her sadness as she balled her fists, digging her nails into her palm and liking that the physical pain it gave her took away the sick feeling she had in her stomach.

"Which way?" Ralph asked softly as they came to an intersection. He had no idea where she lived, but assumed it would be in the nicer part of town.

Charlotte looked up at him then, and quite clearly without emotion said, "I think I'd like that beer now, please."

Ralph frowned in concern, but he guessed sending her home to brood alone wasn't the best idea either, especially if Jeff was going to show up there. He turned his car toward the Honky Tonk, hoping that the confused Sam would follow them. Maybe he could go back and get his car while Sam babysat Charlotte for a while.

Walking into the bar, he found a table in a quiet corner and they sat down. Charlotte looked blankly across the room, a poster child for the thousand yard stare. Ralph knew the look well, having had it himself twice in his lifetime. Without even thinking about it, he placed a hand softy onto the middle of her back, stroking her gently in an attempt to comfort her. Charlotte turned her gaze to Ralph, locking eyes with him. She was momentarily surprised by the compassion she saw in the eyes of the big man. It was a trait she didn't think possible for him to possess, and yet, he had surprised her once again.

It'll be okay Char," he said with a nod. "I promise. I've been there before."

Leaving her sitting there as Sam moved toward them, he went to get a pitcher of beer. He saw Sam take a seat at the table where Charlotte silently buried her face in her hands.

Ralph walked over to the bar, and Tammy finished serving a customer and came over to him.

"Hey Tam," he said to her.

"Hi Ralph. Who's the girl with Sam?"

"Oh, someone from work. She's not with Sam. We just came for a few beers."

"I saw her in here the other night too, when you came in for dinner."

Ralph nodded. "Yeah. It was a rough day at work, I guess."

Tammy let out a deep sigh. "Damn it, Ralph."

"What?"

"I know what we have. I mean, what we are to each other. I don't have some illusions of happily ever after. But I sure as hell wish that you, or somebody, would look at me the way I'm seeing you look at that woman."

"What are you talking about, Tammy? She doesn't even like me. She's scared of me. And she's dating some rich prick from the winery, or she was until tonight." He paused thinking about that. "There is nothing going on between us."

"How long have I known you, Ralph?"

"Almost ten years, Tammy. But..."

"But nothing, Ralph. In all that time, I've seen the best of you, and I've seen the worst of you. But I have never seen you look at someone the way you just looked at her. And you certainly don't look at ME that way."

Ralph rolled his eyes at her. "I don't know a fucking thing about her, except that she works at the winery. Reading something into this is just ridiculous."

"Why are you arguing with me, Ralph?"

"What?"

"Why are you even arguing with me about it? I think you're really arguing with yourself, you big dope. That's what I think."

Ralph glanced over at Charlotte and Sam sitting in the corner, and he felt there might just be a kernel of truth to what Tammy was saying.

"What, do you think this is some love at first sight thing like you see in a movie or something," Ralph said as he chuckled at her.

Tammy frowned and shook her head. "Listen to me, Ralph. I know what I'm seeing here. You've had an awful lot of shit come your way during your lifetime that you had no control over. This time, you do. If you don't do everything you can to bring that woman into your life, you're an idiot. And THAT, Ralph, is on you. Understand?"

"Yeah, yeah. Can we get a pitcher, Tam?"

"Sure, sugar," Tammy replied with a sad smile.

Charlotte was watching Ralph and Tammy together. She strained to hear what they were saying, but couldn't quite make it out.

"What's their deal," she asked Sam.

"Those two? They've been friends for a long time. They actually dated years ago, but it just didn't work out. Between you, me, and the wall, they still fuck each other fairly often. You know. Friends with benefits," he said as he corrected himself quickly, remembering who he was speaking to.

"Really?" asked Charlotte, surprised by the pang of jealousy that hit her in the gut. She didn't let on that she had seen Ralph and Tammy in the parking lot, instead acting as if all of this was news to her.

"Yeah. Neither of them are dating anyone, so I guess they've figured out a way to maintain a friendship and...you know... have benefits."

"That Ralph is full of surprises, isn't he?"

Sam let out a laugh. "You have no idea."

Ralph returned to the table with the pitcher and some glasses, handing one to each of them. Charlotte poured beer into each glass, then held hers up to toast. Thinking better of it and shrugging her shoulders, she drank half the beer in one shot. She put her glass down on the table and looked at Ralph.

"When were you there before, Ralph?"

"Huh?"

"You said you had been there before. When was that? What happened?"

"Oh, you want my life story? You think you're sad now, huh?"

"C'mon Ralph," Sam interjected. "I don't think she needs your sarcasm right now."

"It's okay, Sam. We're supposed to be best buds tonight, right? Let's hear it, Ralph," she said, returning her eyes to him. "You share a secret, and I'll share a secret, Okay?"

Ralph paused, staring into the green eyes Charlotte had pointed in his direction. He took a deep breath, and told her all of it. When he was finished, Charlotte sat in stunned silence, realizing that she had misjudged this man to an incredible degree. For his part, Sam was shocked with the part of the story that he never knew.

"I'm so sorry, Ralph," said Charlotte putting a hand on top of his. Her eyes had welled up with tears for him, as she momentarily forgot about her own problems.

"I have two questions, Ralph," Sam said. "One, where did you bury the bastard that you found in bed with your girlfriend? And two, why the hell did you never tell me about this?"

"It was her I was angry with, Sam. And it hurt. I had just lost my parents, and then, with her knowing that, she did that to me. I had enough pity. I didn't need more. So I made out like I was the one that ended it."

They were all quiet for a few minutes, sipping on their beers and gathering their thoughts.

"So, you're up," Ralph said to Charlotte. "Spill your secrets."

Charlotte nodded slowly, a sad smile crossing her face.

"I did promise, right?"

"You did," chimed in Sam, who was beginning to feel as if he was out of place sitting with the two of them.

"I grew up a few counties over from here. My daddy left when I was just a baby, and my mom raised my sister and I alone. We were dirt poor, and dependent upon public assistance and any odd jobs my mother could get in order to get by. Somehow, my sister and I managed to do well in school, and with the help of scholarships, we went to college.

"I made a vow to never allow myself to be in the position my mother was in. That's why my career is so important to me. Jeff...well, he seemed to be able to provide a degree of security I had never known in my life. I'd be able to depend on both me and him, and never be poor again. I knew I was giving up a little being with him, but...I just couldn't think about going back to how I grew up.

"Do you love him," Ralph asked.

"We've been dating for some time, Ralph."

"That isn't what I asked, Char. Do you love him?"

"I thought I did."

"Did you really, Charlotte?"

Charlotte stared at Ralph, her nostrils flaring in anger at his insistence. Ralph didn't back down, his eyes demanding an answer. Finally, Charlotte broke eye contact and looked down at the table.

"No," she quietly replied. "I don't."

Again, they all sat there in silence, Charlotte's words echoing in their ears.

"So, do you want to hear my secrets?" offered Sam.

"No," both Ralph and Charlotte simultaneously answered, causing the three of them to burst into laughter.

"I think I'm ready to go home now," Charlotte said. "It's late and I'm tired, and we have a big day ahead of us tomorrow."

Ralph nodded as he got up from the table.

"I'll drive you and Sam can follow us to take me to get my car after."

"Okay," Charlotte replied, not wanting to argue that she was capable of driving herself. After this night, she thought it best she remain in Ralph's care until she got home.

They were quiet on the drive over, and Charlotte directed Ralph to her carport. He turned off the engine and got out of the car. He watched as Sam pulled up behind them, getting out and walking over to the two of them. Charlotte gave him a quick hug, thanking him for his help. Then she turned towards Ralph, stepping forward and putting her arms around him as best she could. She squeezed him tightly, both for her and for him. Finally, she broke the hug and gave him a gentle buss the cheek.

"Thank you for everything, Ralph. I...I'm so sorry I have misjudged you and treated you as I have. I was very wrong about you."

Ralph nodded at her. "You weren't the only one, Char. Trust me," he said with a smile.

He started to walk away, then turned back. "Do you have a pen," he asked her.

Charlotte nodded and rummaged through her purse, finding a pen and handing it to Ralph. He took her hand in his, frowning at the marks her nails had left behind. He wrote a phone number on the palm of her hand.

"Anything happens...that asshole shows up or you need anything, you give me a call, understand?"

1...56789...17