All Comments on 'The Selkie Ch. 05'

by LesbianChickLit

Sort by:
  • 37 Comments
CliterateDykeCliterateDykeabout 5 years ago

I've died & gone to lesbian heaven. Two gorgeous chapters to my favorite series. Thank you so much you sexy thing. Your writing gets better as the months go by. You are a joy to read, literate, smart, sexy, ingenious, incredibly creative & your offerings are so well edited. Don't get to much of a swelled head but you, gir, are absolutely amazing. Beautiful & articulate work,as are you.

MaonaighMaonaighabout 5 years ago

Great! My hints worked. The next chapter has arrived and much more quickly than I could have hoped for. This really is a fine, intriguing piece of fantasy and I'm eagerly waiting to find out where you're going with it. Thanks for the enjoyment.

PS: If you don't already know it, LCL, can I recommend The All Souls Trilogy by Deborah Harkness, the first novel being "A Discovery of Witches". Harkness is an American historian who is--or was--working at Oxford University. The main characters in her trilogy are vampires, witches and daemons, living among humans and constantly engaged in power struggles and intrigues against one another.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago

wow just wow . can't wait for more - entrancing read thank you .

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
Poor Aud

Imprisoned by a vampire who is not only powerful beyond comparison, but also judging by her constant references to classical literature, a huge nerd.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
Excellent writing!

You have a wonderful use of vocabulary. This chapter was much more on point for relevance than beginning chapters. I get it...you're placing backstory to provide how the Selkie thinks contrary to say, how a human thinks.

In this chapter, the dynamics of this Nest become evident, and I suspect there are other nests that are competitors or even enemies. Hard to say, but the world is large and doubtful this contingent has the governing branch of vampires.

Our Selkie has a dilemma where at some point she will authentically start to like her captor, and rationalize her captivity with being protected, and not having to hide from humans due to not aging. I imagined being like this Selkie and thought it would become tiresome at the least to have to continue moving on to hide from humans, and to be not having any long term relationships. This vampire could become a good friend, someone who had her back. Of course other vampires would be envious of the couple and decide that it should be ended. Ironically, this vampire is putting herself at risk.

Looking forward to more!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
I'm addicted...

Please don't stop posting.... :')

germanchocolate4ugermanchocolate4uabout 5 years ago

Wow and the plot thickens. This is full on multi-dimesional written drama and I love it!

link2couragelink2courageabout 5 years ago
Quite intriguing. Perversely so, even.

It is not often that one runs across something like this. You have me successfully hooked, and I am intensly curious to know where this goes. I love the warrior's spirit you maintain in Aud's internal musings and memories. Marika's constant literary references have been fun for me, too. You truly have a fantastic story, and I eagerly anticipate the next entry.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
Great

Very well written... Love the buildup, keeps me interested!! Can't wait for the next chapter, THANK YOU:)

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
Intriguing

I am increasingly getting more and more pulled in to your story. Every time i read a chapter I think I know where your going with this story. So far you haven't contradicted my musings, you just added to it. It is drawing me like an addict. I can honestly say that I find your writing to be more interesting than most books I can buy. Thank you

From a poor addicted reader

InPennyInPoundInPennyInPoundabout 5 years ago

As one commenter put it.....I'm addicted.

First to how the relationship between Marika and Aid will play out. Will it remain a mistress/pet or will/can it evolve into something deeper.

Second, how will the Prepatent Initiative affect their relationship.

Can not wait to see where the journey leads. Thank you LCL!

WebmeanderWebmeanderalmost 5 years ago
Another Selkie Addict

I too am addicted to this story. I keep rereading it. It’s fun, clever, and sexy. I am a fan of your writing. Please keep sharing your story with us. Thanks so much!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 5 years ago
Can’t wait for the next chapter!!!

I just re-read this chapter amongst the others and I’m so excited for what’s to come! I can’t wait to see how the story develops! I hope the next chapter is out soon!

Rhod20Rhod20almost 5 years ago
Better each chapter

This is a nice slow burn story that has pulled me in more and more each chapter. I look forward to what comes next, bit the for AUD and her captors relationship , and their plans for world domination!

FriskyMindFriskyMindover 4 years ago
Fortunate

To have found this series with this most recent chapter already written. Sincerely hope the next will be along sooner. I’ve been devouring your stories. Complex, sexy , intelligent and humorous...that’s an impressive mix! You’re also the first author in eons who’s forced me to hunt for definitions of words. Thanks for making me think! Do you have any stories published elsewhere? If not, you should. If so, I’d love to find them. Oh yes...and I really want to meet a Selkie! Cute, cuddly and kick ass!

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
More please

You know you've done intelligent work when you receive intelligent comments. Lol.

This kind of story is what I tirelessly search for in this site. Creative, slow build, unique, and well-written.

You gained another reader here. Please keep your stories coming, I am looking forward for more.

Bellie444Bellie444about 4 years ago
So talented

And fucking bizarre to me but it works. I find the seal stuff so so cute! And I love the protective grace of the vamp.

Bellie444Bellie444about 4 years ago

Okay. I was a bit rushed in my last comment, having just discovered this incredible series and generally I am not inclined to read in depth or for too long and certainly never this category.

But this bastard tale has held me captive since I randomly found it. I initially skimmed the details but I keep returning incessantly to my favourite parts, namely the fucking adorable seal and the succinctly italic coldly passionate thoughts of the pursuing vampire. But inevitably I read over some of the historical references and increasingly enjoy it every time I glance back and learn something new, or newly fictional. Call me involuntarily entertained.

I adore the protagonist in this story; her sass, unwavering decency, dark humour and most importantly her deep compassion for others regardless of how much death and horror she has suffered, witnessed and had to mete out herself. But her ‘softness’ is never to her detriment where she might make impractical or foolish decisions for a lost cause, only regrettable on occasion. She makes the best of what she has, does her best in what she does, and acknowledges her flaws, faults and mistakes with wry cynicism. Despite her immortality she is not hardened or jaded and cares genuinely for her lovers and male companions while they last, and whatever she does, she works hard to contribute with purpose. A planetary asset, for sure.

The vampire’s (was ‘fark’ in her surname intentional? Hah) growing fixation and adoration also anchored me to the story. The side-act now forefront, I hope you don’t leave this un-ended, or even better, find a way to continue it indefinitely. Perhaps she escapes Marika and the chase resumes, with a silent understanding each cares deeply for the other. Or maybe she catches the eye of a new villain and yearns for her previous master. I like engagement between the two leads, but Aud’s survival lifestyle was also a fun adventure to follow. The Vampire hive politics was a little bit too educated for me to process but I appreciated it still.

I love how nurturing and protective Marika is, the care she takes to ensure Aud is safe and secure and her determination to initiate their relationship properly with only the best first impressions (given the circumstances) to woo her pet. I have probably read the transformation scene, with the manufactured ecosystem and floe balance attempts more than ten times and I just love it; my heart broke for poor Aud’s fear (how did Marika know her name from the start?) and I was so glad it was soothed, but it was still heartbreaking but then yeah totally too fucking cute blowing bubbles at the base and the rest of it, my heart melted. I adore smallish cute fat animals, and as a prior owner of rabbits I can relate to the feeling of wanting to ease the fear (like after a big sneeze startles them). So after the first time I read the story I ended up googling ringed seals and ‘awwwing’ for way too long.

The other key heartbreak was when Ina passed and little Aud cried alone until she was set upon. I hope the fever made Ina delirious in her angry last words, because it’s not like she had the best of options before she was taken in by Aud. If anything, Aud afforded her an amazingly liberal life and their years together were happy. So… though she took Ina’s words to heart I hope they weren’t genuine.

The addition of the Doppleganger and Doctor characters were fun. Also I feel like I am continually learning new words and phrases since your vocabulary and command of descriptive language and emotion is so impressive.

Anyway, I would love to have my own little pudgy seal for a pet, but unfortunately my personality being what it is, I would more likely be the fat seal but with less courage and fighting aptitude of course. Ultimately, I’m not into odd-animal transformations or lesbian stories, but this one magically rocketed to the top of my list, and will probably stay there until I can get over it. Also, I’m not gay (well, now I’m wondering!) but the series was hawt.

Longest comment I have ever burdened Lit with, but it affected me as such and the author is currently MIA so I will just post it here instead of direct feedback. Thanks, author. Please keep going.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Love the universe, plans? (Need some "closure)

Loved the story read long time ago haven't found a series like it it's great. I keep checking in to see if it's been updated every month or so (sticks cuz of the great plot/characters and u inverse ur creating). Are you planing to continue the story? Loved to know so I can get some "closure".

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Would love to read more

I have been completely captured by this series, it goes above and beyond anything i have read on this site in terms of depth and literary talent.

I absolutely love the characters you have developed and really feel an understanding for them and their behaviours and motives, it's so good to get to know the characters outside of their interactions with eachother too.

The whole world you have created is so imaginative and well done and you have very cleverly written a story spanning centuries, I can picture the different time periods we travel to through Aud's memories as I read them. I also love how you bring issues and details of the various time periods into the story and how they impact Aud and her relationships.

Aud has been written brilliantly and her love for life and need for companionship is so clear.

I often find myself becoming bored with the sex scenes in longer series and skipping through them to get back to the plot but this hasn't been the case at all with your writing, you have so much variety and creativity throughout the entire series.

I also like that your male characters aren't all portrayed as abusive/horrible/unable to satisfy a woman like many of the stories on this site.

Please do continue this series, like many others, this story has stuck with me since I first read it and I have been checking your page for the next chapter more often than I'd like to admit!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Please Continue

I have read this story many times before and enjoy it every time. I am interested in how the story will progress, especially Aud and Marika’s relationship. I hope that you do decide to continue the story as I will be patiently waiting for updates! :)

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Huge fan

Read through this series after finishing the Arete series and being desperate for more. Your writing seriously is amazing and so imaginative with so much detail and creativity. I almost want stories for every individual character because they're so interesting. Please, please continue with this series I'd love to know what happens between Aud and Marika!

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Please continue. Would love to see how Aud and the vampire would be. Been a big fan since 2011 love all your work.

LesbianChickLitLesbianChickLitover 2 years agoAuthor

Actually pretty stuck on this one. Open to suggestions?

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

LOVE this story! Just reread it and saw your comment! I'm sorry you're stuck on it but so happy to think there may be another chapter on the way! Here's hoping you find some inspiration!

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Please continue. This story is so amazing. I love aud. Shes so feisty. But so is m.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

please continue, this story is so good. I check periodically for updates.

Lucy_IskussLucy_Iskussabout 2 years ago

I asked earlier if the tee shirt with the 8-pointed star graphic was the Star of Ishtar/Inanna, but looking back, she had previously worn a shirt with an Apsasu on it (Mesopotamian mythological creature). Ishtar was a goddess of sex, war, and political power worshipped by the same culture, so there would be a common theme between the two shirts if that was in fact the Star of Ishtar. This is definitely not conclusive, but it does strengthen my hunch.

Additionally, lesbian vampires fall under many of Ishtar’s domains. Vampires are both violent and seductive, which coincides well with sex and war. The fact that the vampire is a lesbian just increases the overlap because queer people fell under Ishtar’s domain as well and served in her temple.

I have seen Ishtar/Inanna in other lesbian vampire media, so I wouldn’t be too surprised.

LesbianChickLitLesbianChickLitabout 2 years agoAuthor

Lucy_Iskuss, yes. The Star of Ishtar and the apsasu are meant to suggest the age and native region of Marika, as well as qualities/principles she would value. She isn't a practicing member of any current religious cult though and no deities take part in the actual story.

Lucy_IskussLucy_Iskussabout 2 years ago

Oh haha that’s awesome, and makes perfect sense. Love the little details like that.

FirstClassFlirtFirstClassFlirtabout 2 years ago

Take it forward in time to where Aud may have a chance at escape and/or the research has found a definite way to identify vampire candidates amongst humans. Perhaps Auds empathy for humans leads her to escape to try to help them , finding other non vampire immortals along the way to be allies. If it’s far enough in the future, Marika may feel very connected to her “pet” as more than a cute blood source and find herself conflicted on what to do. I loooove this story, too and have reread it a couple times. If this all sucks, I apologize lol

LesbianChickLitLesbianChickLitabout 2 years agoAuthor

First Class Flirt, actually pretty close to what I intend. I am stuck on the Aud/Marika story, but it's a prequel itself to my very stunted Transfusion story. Aud, Marika, Geber, the Sheriff, and the doppelganger are all supporting characters with a Prepatent Initiative fledgling vampire as the narrator. I mostly need to find a way to bring the Aud/Marika story to equilibrium so it dovetails in.

Also, I need more free time and better discipline as a writer, but those seem less likely. :)

FirstClassFlirtFirstClassFlirtabout 2 years ago

Sounds fascinating! The storyline obviously stretches outside Auds currently restricted world so something drastic will have to change . Choices, choices. I have never managed to write anything unless it was for a class, so be kind to yourself. I’d say you do quite nicely :). Very much looking forward to whatever you come up with!

Tawny33Tawny33about 2 years ago

I loved this story. I'm so very partial to slow-building lesbian romance stories. I do hope there's at least another chapter or two to come. It'd be so satisfying to experience the evolution of Aud and Marika's relationship. The elements of seduction and their domme/sub dynamic has been delicious to read ... more of that and let's see them grow into their deeper feelings for each other, please!

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Love it gave it 5 stars though I wish there was more

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Love it but Can we expect more chapters or is the series over

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

5 stars, waiting impatiently

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userLesbianChickLit@LesbianChickLit
Looking for beta readers for drafts of new Arete chapters (different narrator, not Taiglox) in revision. If you've time to read and lend a critical eye, please let me know?

READ MORE OF THIS SERIES

The Selkie Ch. 04 Previous Part
The Selkie Series Info