The Slayers Ch. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Yes I believe that they're alive- some of them at least. They are nearly impossible to kill which makes me wonder why everyone believes that they're dead. My theory is that they went to ground. Again- why are you asking about the originals?"

"One was spotted today," Xavier said.

"Where?" Cherie asked. Xavier could hear the doubt in her voice.

"Here in Philadelphia," Xavier replied.

"Shit... are you sure? It's hard to tell them from your garden variety vampire."

"My source swears to it," Xavier said. "Why would they reappear?"

"Who knows" Cherie said, "They don't need a reason but you know that they are the final authority. Maybe they're here for someone specific. To be honest, I'm not convinced that what your source saw was an original. Anyway, I still haven't found your rogue but I'll keep looking."

Xavier hung up and had a nervous flutter in his stomach. Something was brewing and it was big. Slayers plus the originals even if it was only one equaled trouble and not just for him. He wondered if he should call the heads of the other organizations and decided to wait. Maybe Ephraim was wrong- maybe it was a garden variety vampire that he saw, but the man had never been wrong about anything. A little off but never wrong. After debating with himself for several minutes, he decided to wait. Maybe if he was lucky the originals would take care of one or more of his rivals for him.

****

Winona wandered around her house in her true form. The time was coming when she would no longer use the disguise of the old woman. The sooner Brittney saw her as she was and understood that there was nothing between her and Jian the better. She had noticed the jealous way that Brittney had looked at her when she was in her old woman form just as she saw Jian's pleasure at the jealousy.

"Men," she grumbled as she did some stretches to warm up before she started her work out. Justin's wedding band bumped against her heart and she missed him. Other single and widowed hunters had approached her and she had always shied away from them. It meant retraining to their way of fighting and she felt that to do so would be a betrayal to Justin. When she was warmed up, she picked up Justin's sword and held it close to her. In that moment, she knew that he lived. She didn't know where he was or what he was doing, but he wasn't dead. That she couldn't feel him as she once could didn't matter. He was alive. Suddenly she felt lighter than she had before his supposed death. She began her workout with vigor swinging his sword as if it was made specifically for her. For two hours, she thrust and lunged with Justin's sword before picking up her own and beginning again. The phone rang just as she was doing her cool down exercises.

"Welcome back," Hsin's soft baritone said. "I am pleased."

"You were right," Winona replied. "I am and always will be a slayer. Is there a reason for this call?"

"No, I just wanted to acknowledge your return and to remind you that you are not to hesitate to call for assistance. Things are happening and the death of the slayer's sister has very little to do with it."

"What do you think is happening?" Winona asked. "I haven't felt anything since Brittney's sister died."

"I do not know," Hsin replied. "I know that Jian is as perplexed as I am. Just keep your senses about you and trust no one except one of us."

"What else?" Winona asked. "You didn't call just to say welcome back and to give me information that I could have gotten from Jian. I've also never known you to be tongue tied so just say it... have they found Justin's body?"

"No, but he is alive."

Winona sank to her knees as Hsin talked.

"It was as he wanted it," he explained. "He stayed away for your safety. He managed to escape his captors but until recently, they pursued him. They are no longer a part of the picture."

"Where is he?" Winona asked.

"I cannot and will not tell you that," Hsin replied. "I didn't even want to tell you that he was alive because I knew that you would lose focus..."

"You don't have the right to keep that information from me!" Winona cried. "You had no right to let me think that he was dead!"

"What would you have done?" Hsin asked. "You would have gone in search of him endangering both of your lives and the lives of others. The fact that you weren't told at the beginning was his doing. I am only telling you that he is alive because he felt that it would bring you a measure of peace. I see that he was mistaken."

"No-wait! Hsin- I'm sorry... I'm just relieved and... angry."

"I understand, but Winona you have a job to do and you must focus."

"When will I see him? Can you at least tell me that?"

"No and it isn't because I don't want to- I truly don't know."

Winona hung up and sobbed in anger and in relief. An hour later, she was working out again as if her life depended on it.

****

Brittney breathed easier now that she knew Paul was safe and Amanda's body was taken from the morgue. She ate everything on her plate even taking seconds of the vegetables.

"Good," Jian replied. "Tonight we will add fish to our meals. You need the protein."

"Why are you acting like I'm moving in?" Brittney asked looking at him.

Jian looked at her long and hard. She was ready he decided.

"Let me clear the dishes and we will talk."

Brittney wanted to help but he made her sit. As her mate it was his place to serve her and if they had children, he would go through the entire pregnancy with her. He would not leave home until the children were grown at which point he and Brittney could go back into the field if they chose to. Part of him hoped that she got pregnant their first time together, but realistically it wasn't going to happen. Slayer couples usually did not conceive before their tenth year together. That brought up another issue- her mortality.

Finally, he was ready to talk. He started with Amanda's death and with what had killed her.

"Vampires?" She asked in disbelief. "Are you talking about those things that I read about?"

"In a way yes," Jian replied.

"When Paul said that it was a monster that killed Amanda- is that what he was talking about? He really saw a vampire?"

"Yes... but Brittney..."

"How do we kill it?" Brittney interrupted.

"Let me explain things to you," Jian said taking her hand and stroking it. "Just like humans, not all vampires are bad or evil. There are many who live peacefully among you. They hold jobs, have families and make positive contributions to the human race. These vampires help us control the rogue population. The vampire that killed Amanda was not one of those. He is evil and his only goal is pain and suffering. Those are the vampires that we hunt..."

"Hunt? Jian..."

"Shush qin ai de- beloved- and let me continue. Then you may ask your questions..."

"And since when do you start speaking Chinese to me? You know I don't understand it."

"Brittney will you shush and just listen not only to my words but to my heart? I told you this morning that there are things that you choose not to see, but I'm getting ahead of myself."

Brittney looked at him. That confusing feeling that she had been having about him for the past few days was back.

"As I was saying, the type of vampire that killed Amanda is called a rogue. They are truly evil creatures with no conscience nor do they care who they hurt. They are usually controlled by a much higher functioning rogue. Where this one's master was I do not know, but I do know that he will be severely punished if his master is not dead. Much of their survival as does ours depends on secrecy. As a rule they do not go to the homes of what they call connected humans..."

"People with families," Brittney murmured.

"Exactly and they never, ever leave witnesses if they do. Paul should have been killed along with Amanda and both bodies taken. Now, not only are the police looking for Paul, the rogue are as well. They also know that it was one of us that rescued him so he is of double importance to them. If they find him they will try to extract information from him that he doesn't have..."

"What about his family? They'll go after them," Brittney said.

"His family is being watched. No harm will come to them and to the few remaining relatives that you have are being protected as well."

"Why? What do they have to do with this?"

"I will tell you in a moment," Jian said, "just listen. The rogues are divided into groups or clans as they call themselves. The clans are run similarly to a street gang or the mafia and like some of these groups; they are into many criminal activities such as drugs, prostitution and human slave trafficking. For the most part they stay under the radar and help us by killing each other in their turf wars. Your sister's death was random- that rogue should never have entered her home but- it set something in motion. Your calling the human police pulled some major players into this..."

"Are you saying that this is my fault?" Brittney asked. "I wasn't supposed to call the police? What was I supposed to do? Just leave her there?"

"No, but we would have handled it..."

"Who is this we that you keep talking about?" Brittney yelled. "Who are you?"

"You already know the answer to that question," Jian replied. "It is one of the things that you refuse to see."

"Will you stop talking in damned riddles?!" Brittney exclaimed exasperated.

"I am of a race called the slayers," Jian said. "We are not of this world and are the natural enemy to the vampire. I am part of the 'we' that I keep mentioning. My father is the leader of all slayers. We are immortal, but we can be killed although it is difficult."

Brittney's head started to pound but she was determined to hear all of it.

"Keep going," she said when Jian stopped talking.

"You need to rest..."

"Stop telling me what I need!" Brittney yelled, "And start telling me what I need to know!"

"Brittney," Jian said softly but firmly, "we are taking a break. Sit while I make tea and do not argue with me."

By the time Jian got back, Brittney was asleep. He sat beside her and sipped his tea. As he waited for her to wake up, he thought about Winona and how she was dealing with the news that Justin was alive. He had never met him, but by all accounts he was an excellent slayer. He had reservations about whether Winona should be told, but if it was Brittney, he would want her to know. But then if it were Brittney, she would look for him until she found him. She was a stubborn one-his beloved.

Finally Brittney woke up. She sat up, looked at Jian and demanded that he finish it.

"I don't want any tea, just tell me!" she demanded.

Jian got her a glass of water and refused to go any further until she drank the water.

"Good, now we can continue," he said. "I have given you the basics of part of what I need to tell you. The rest of it affects us directly. I mentioned that I was a slayer," he said. "What I did not say is that slayers work in pairs-mated pairs. We have been training together for a reason- Brittney you are my partner and my mate. Before you say that is isn't possible think back to when we first met. You were the only one who wanted to work with me. You were the first person to know that I spoke fluent English- you knew just after a few days, probably even before that but out of courtesy; you didn't ask. Most never catch on thinking that I am a fast learner. Have you ever connected with anyone the way that you connected with me? We eat together, we work together and we train together- everything that mates do with the exception of one thing. We have not slept together as mates.

Let's move up to more recent events," Jian said talking quickly. "Do you remember what happened the night that I made dinner for you? We went to the front door together because we both sensed something. We stood in the doorway and you leaned into me. You were seeking comfort and protection. I put my arm around you and pulled you close. Do you remember this?"

"Yes but..."

"The night that Amanda died- you woke up at three am. I know this because I felt it. I didn't know what was happening, but I felt your discomfort. I also knew that you weren't in danger. You invited me to your sister's home-why after four years? You could have continued to say no, but you didn't. When you called the police you told them that you were alone. You protected me-that is typical mate behavior. You not only protected me once, but twice without thinking about it."

"Yes but..."

"Brittney, it's time for you to be honest- you are drawn to me. You have always been drawn to me but you put your feelings in a little box along with the other things that you do not care to see. The time for that is past. We must become what we are- a mated pair. Our lives may depend on it."

Brittney was speechless.

"Yesterday when the old woman was here- you were jealous were you not? It was the same on Sunday when I mentioned that another female was going to train with us. You were jealous which pleases me."

"Of course it would- you're a man," Brittney grumbled.

"And lastly- you believed everything that I've told you. Brittney listen to your instincts."

"I need to go for a run-alone," Brittney said.

"I cannot allow that and you know this," Jian replied firmly.

"Fine but don't you talk to me," Brittney said as she stood up and went up the stairs to change clothes.

Jian grinned and shook his head as Brittney ran up the stairs. Life with her was going to be interesting. While he waited he called Winona.

"How are you?" he asked when she answered the phone.

"Relieved, angry and happy," Winona replied. "Have you talked to her yet?"

"Yes, I just told her. We are going for a run..."

"Now?" Winona interrupted. "Is that wise? Maybe I should come with you."

"Maybe you can trail us," Jian said liking the suggestion. "My attention will be on Brittney."

"Give me ten minutes," Winona said and hung up.

****

The creature who answered to the name of Colt moved in the shadows still too afraid to go home. He didn't think it odd that his master hadn't summoned him. It had happened before when his master was busy with other things. That didn't mean that he wouldn't be angry and he wouldn't be punished but it was a reprieve of sorts.

Colt wandered along the waterfront looking to feed. He wasn't ravenous as he had been when he entered the human home so he still had his wits about him, but not for long. He made his way to the Benjamin Franklin Bridge where he knew that homeless people sometimes took shelter. He would hide behind a pillar and wait for one of them to leave the group. If there was no one there he would go to the George Washington Bridge. Between the two Bridges there had to be someone-preferably female, but a male would do. His hunger was directly connected to his libido. He rarely fed without sex in some form. The only people completely safe from him were children.

Sometimes in the summer months he would hide in the bushes at the park and watch them play. On more than one occasion he rescued a child who had wandered too far from adults from becoming lost or harmed. He understood his need to protect the children even less than he understood what was wrong with him. It didn't make sense considering once the child was an adult he or she became fair game.

He reached the Benjamin Franklin Bridge and found it abandoned. Cursing, he made his way to the George Washington Bridge and found a lone homeless woman sitting on the ground huddled in a blanket. He didn't care about her age, only that she wasn't a child and she was female.

She never heard him coming.

*****

They were well into their fifth mile. Brittney knew that they were being followed but didn't worry about it because Jian wasn't concerned about it. They had just started back when Brittney stopped running and looked around. Jian stopped beside her and Winona stopped behind them still out of sight.

"Jian!" Brittney whispered.

"I know, I feel it," he replied, "but it isn't close and it feels-different."

"I know what it is," Brittney said as tears ran down her face. "It's him. I don't know how I know; but it's him. Tell me what I have to do to find it."

Jian hesitated. He wanted her as his mate- she was his mate, but if she agreed; she would be doing for the wrong reasons and that he could and would not allow.

"We will talk later," he said his tone telling her that the subject was for the moment closed. "Let's go back."

***

Colt stopped his feeding and looked around. Sensing nothing, he went back to the remainder of his meal.