The Super

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I'll be right back," was all she said as she got out and shut the door to go get Kelsey who once again fell asleep on the ride home.

On their way up to her apartment, they passed the bank of apartment mailboxes and Penny remembered she'd forgotten to check hers. She put in her key, turned the lock and pulled out a handful of envelopes and other miscellaneous junk. When they got inside she set them all down on the table and noticed one of them had a green, certified-mail sticker on it.

"What's this?" she said as she slid her nail under the flap to open it. As she read it, Chase heard her say, "Oh my God."

"What is it?" he asked as he walked around the table and stood next to her. He looked over her shoulder and at the top of the letter he saw in big, bold type: FIRST NOTICE OF INTENT TO EVICT.

Penny laid the letter down and said, "I know I'm a little behind, but..."

Chase wasn't sure what to do or even say. He kind of reached up and put his hands on her shoulders and said, "I'm sure this is some kind of misunderstanding or something." He felt her body shake slightly and he knew she was crying. "Hey! It's gonna be all right."

Penny shook her head and said, "I can't lose this place. I...we...don't have anywhere else to go. I'm working full-time and I'm doing the best I can, but the bills keep piling up."

"So you're a little behind. You can catch up," he told her.

"It's not just the rent. I have lawyers who want money. You know, for the divorce. I have a car payment, insurance, gas, electricity, water, food..." She was trying not to cry in front of him, but everything came crashing in on her at once.

Chase turned her around and put his hands back on her shoulders. "We'll find a way to figure this out. I promise?"

Penny sniffed and said, "We? Chase, this isn't your problem. You have your own issues and you don't need to worry about mine, too. I just need a place...for Kelsey." Tears ran down her cheeks and again, Chase didn't really know what to do so he pulled her close to him and just held her as she cried.

"Penny? Are there any issues with your apartment you haven't told me about? Things that happened before I got here that you asked to have fixed but never did?"

Penny's eyes were closed and her head was buried in his chest. "What? What issues? What are you talking about?"

"Anything. Electrical, mechanical, heating, plumbing. Anything at all."

"Don't get me started. That's why I was so frustrated with you after calling the second time and not even getting an answer. The guy before you was terrible. He never fixed anything that was more difficult than screwing in a light bulb. I just gave up asking."

"Give me an example," he said.

She let go of him and turned around and pointed to the oven. "Well, that doesn't work. It never has. The burners work, but the oven won't turn on." She pointed to the refrigerator and said, "The water and ice dispenser don't work and over there...by the couch? That receptacle is busted. I ended up putting tape over it so Kelsey wouldn't touch it and get shocked."

"I have an idea," he told her. "Let me do some checking tonight and I'll let you know tomorrow."

She'd stopped crying and was wiping away the last of her tears when she asked him, "Why do you care so much? You don't have to do any of this, you know."

"Because I'm the super?" he said with a smile. This time, Penny didn't look away. She smiled back at him and thanked him for his help and for his company.

"My pleasure," he told her. "I'll let you know first thing in the morning. Try not to worry, okay?"

Just as he suspected, he was exactly right. He sent the link to Penny's phone the next morning and a few minutes later he got a reply. "If this is true, you are a lifesaver! Thank you SO much, Chase! I think I love you!! xoxo Penny"

"I think I love you, too," he thought to himself knowing she was only kidding.

Later that morning Sarah told him she'd finally gotten a job. "Doing what?!" he asked her.

"Dancing," she told him again.

"Nude? At a bar? You've gotta be kidding me!"

"It's a...gentleman's club," she corrected him.

"That's ridiculous. I don't want you running around nude in front of a bunch of strangers," he said in the strongest of terms.

"I won't be nude, Chase. It's a topless bar, not a nude bar, okay? And for the record, we're not even together anymore so it's really none of your business. Besides, you've got it bad for the woman who isn't a psycho bitch—at least according to you. I still don't like her and I don't trust her."

"What are you even talking about? I told you she's a really nice person and a great mom. She's just a friend and she's going through a tough period in her life. Try not to be so judgmental all the time, would ya?" he said with disdain.

"Wow. Talk about living in denial," she told him.

"I'm not denying anything, Sarah. I'm just telling it like it is."

"Uh-huh. Like it is. Sure, Chase. You just keep telling yourself that. I've still got that bridge for sale. I have no idea what all you went through in the war, but I do know when someone's lying to themselves."

"Okay, that's it. I'm outta here. You're certifiably insane, you know that?"

"Yeah? Well, maybe so but you do have it's bad for psycho bi...woman. Trust me."

That evening, Penny was knocking on his door again ostensibly to take him to AA. Sarah opened the door again again and just said, "Oh. It's you—again. Hold on." She turned around called out very loudly, "Chase? Your girlfriend is here!"

He walked right by Sarah and just gave her a look that could kill. As he closed the door Sarah heard his voice go up as he said to Penny and Kelsey, "Hey, you two! How was your day?"

They hadn't even gotten to the car before Penny had unloaded the entire story on him. "You were absolutely right, Chase! I went to my lawyer today and he wrote a letter to the owner. I don't have to pay the rent next month and he owes me for the previous two months, too! Of course, you're gonna have to fix everything, but this is just so great because now I can pay the lawyer and get caught up on my other bills and we won't be evicted."

She put Kelsey in the back seat, buckled her in, then stood up and threw her arms around Chase. "Thank you so, so much, Chase!" He'd never seen her this happy and her smile made him smile until she suddenly threw her arms around him, pulled him down as she stood on her toes, and quickly kissed him on the lips. "I am SO happy! Did I say thank you yet?" She buzzed around to her side of the car as Chase just stood there rubbing his chin wondering what the hell had just happened.

Penny chattered non-stop the entire way there and all the way home. Carrying Kelsey up the stairs was becoming a ritual; one Chase found himself looking forward to each day. This time, after he pulled the covers up, he kissed her on the forward. As he stepped back, he saw Penny looking at him.

"I'm sorry. I don't know why I did that. I was just..."

"It's fine," she told him as she leaned down and did the same thing. "It was really sweet to see." She turned out the light and said, "Come on."

She led Chase back to the living room and said, "I'd like to thank you for what you did," she said with genuine gratitude.

"You don't owe me anything, Penny. I'm just glad I remembered reading that. And I'm glad you got some breathing room."

"I want to make you dinner," she told him. "Well, as soon as the oven is working. You know, whenever the super gets around to fixing it."

"Oh, that guy. Yeah, you might be waiting a while. I hear he's a mess."

Penny had been smiling and she looking right at him. Before she spoke, she looked down and away. "Well, I like him." She looked back up to see how Chase reacted.

"That's interesting," he replied.

"Oh, how so?"

"Well, I heard he kind of likes you, too. And I also heard he really likes your daughter. But then, she's pretty hard not to like being so sweet and everything."

Penny bit her lip and said, "But I'm not? Sweet, that is? My daughter's sweet but I'm not?" Chase didn't know exactly what 'coy' meant, but he was pretty sure that's what Penny was being. Coy.

"I dunno. I mean, how could I know whether or not you're sweet? That kiss...the one by your car...it happened so fast I couldn't really tell."

She walked over to him and said softly, "You could check and see. You know, if I'm sweet or not." She lifted her head, tilted it slightly, and raised her eyebrows.

"I suppose that could be worth knowing. I mean, it couldn't hurt to be sure, right?" he said as he reached up and touched her cheek with the index finger of his hand.

"No, I don't see how that could possibly...hurt," she said as he leaned down to kiss her. Penny closed her eyes and lifted her arms and put them on his shoulders as their lips met. The kiss was soft and gentle and although it didn't last long, it was very romantic.

"So?" she murmured. "What's the verdict?"

"Sweet," he whispered. "Definitely sweet."

Penny ached for him to kiss her again, but she was sure he didn't feel the same way about her. And why would he? He was young and so handsome. Why would he want to get involved with a woman her age who had a child? When he didn't try to kiss her again, she was certain she was right. But at least she'd have that one kiss. That one beautiful, sweet kiss.

"Well...good night," she said as he stood there. Penny slowly lowered her arms hoping he might change his mind, but it just didn't happen.

"So...tomorrow? Same Bat time, same Bat channel?" he said.

"Sorry, is that a military thing?" she said apologetically.

Chase smiled and said, "No. Cartoon thing. I'm not very good at...this kind of thing," he told her.

"Really? I was just thinking you were actually pretty good at it."

"Um, well, I guess I should be going." Her arms were at her side and he took a step back. As he turned around and moved toward the door he told her, "I'll try and get that oven taken care of tomorrow before I go to school. If that's not too early."

"No, not at all. That sounds great," she said. As she let him out she suddenly became aware that her heart was pounding in her chest again and that she was...wet...for the first time in...how long had it even been? Too long was how long.

Penny didn't really need another shower that evening, but it had been even longer since she'd pleasured herself and she wanted to relive the kiss while it was still fresh in her mind. As the warm water ran down her body, she imagined her middle finger being something else and belonging to another person. Just before she came, she let herself imagine the possibility of more than just another kiss and the very thought coupled with her own gentle touch forced her to lean against the shower wall for support as her body shuddered as she softly cried out his name. For the first time in weeks, she slept soundly, free of worry.

"Where are you going so early?" Sarah said as he picked up his tool box.

"I've got to take care of a quick repair," he told her.

"Let me guess. It's in 214, right?"

"Jesus, Sarah. Give me a break, would you?"

"I saw you, you know. When she kissed you."

"So?" he said dismissively.

"So I was right. She is more than a friend."

"You're insane," he said as he opened the door to leave.

"Hardly. In fact, I'm right. And just so you know, I'll be moving out once I get my first paycheck. Oh, by the way, the tips are fabulous. Some guys really appreciate a pretty, young girl."

Chase shook his head in disgust and shut the door harder than he needed to. After playing with Kelsey for a few minutes, Chase pulled the stove out, unplugged it, and went to work. The oven only needed a new element and it was in working order in less than ten minutes. Fortunately, there were repair parts for most of the common problems encountered in the apartment complex in the basement making this a quick fix.

"So how about Saturday evening?" she said.

"I'm sorry. What's going on Saturday?"

"Dinner. Remember? I said I'd make dinner for you," she told him.

"Oh, right. No, I hadn't forgot, I guess I just had other things on my mind," he said.

"Like the girl you like?" she said trying to sound nosy but hoping to get some kind of read on how serious it might be.

"Um, well, as a matter of fact..."

"Have you asked her out yet?" she inquired.

"No, not yet. I haven't really even told her I like her. How about the guy you mentioned? Are you gonna let him know how you feel? I think you should. Guys can be kind of clueless sometimes. Maybe if you told him..."

"I guess. I'm just afraid if I say something I might get hurt. I haven't liked anyone in forever and it's been even longer since I was on a date with someone. I think I hate dating," she said trying to smile.

"Yeah, it pretty much sucks. I know I'm still young—not a word from you, okay—but I'd give up the whole dating scene if I could find someone I really loved...and trusted."

He picked up his toolbox and went over and replaced the broken outlet then told her he'd take care of the refrigerator as soon as he could. She thanked him again and as he got ready to leave he said, "So I really think you should tell this guy how you feel. Who knows? He might ask you out and you can use Saturday as practice. You know, for a real date."

"Yeah, a practice date. I mean, it's not like dinner with two friends is a real date, right? So, sure. It'll be a practice date. Let's make it for 7:00 if that's okay. Kelsey goes to bed at 8 so we eat kind of early."

"Seven's not early. That sounds perfect. So...I'll see you then." He got ready to walk out then asked her, "Oh, wait...that's our meeting time. Do you wanna go to an earlier meeting on Saturday?"

"Oh, right. I guess. Or we could skip it. I mean, we can miss one meeting, right? It's not like I'm gonna have a bottle of wine on the table or anything."

"Well, I guess missing just one won't hurt. Okay, that works for me. See you then. And see you tonight for our regular meeting?"

"I wouldn't miss it. Bye, Chase."

Neither of them had much to say that evening and Penny mentioned she wasn't feeling well. "I can't remember the last time I was sick," she said.

"A lot of people have the flu," he told her. "Unlike a cold, it comes on fast. If there's anything I can do, just let me know, okay?"

"Are you a super when it comes to people, too?" she said sweetly.

By the time they got Kelsey to bed, Penny said she was burning up. Chase checked the thermostat and it said 68 degrees. He put his hand on her forehead and said, "You are burning up. Do you have a thermometer?"

In less than two minutes, they had their answer. Her temperature was 102.5. "I ache all over," she complained.

"This is definitely not a cold. You're got the flu. We've gotta get you to bed. Listen, I have some TheraFlu downstairs. I'm gonna bring it up to you and then I want to ask you something, okay? But for now, you go get in bed and pile on the blankets."

When he came back, she was shivering like a leaf even with four blankets and a quilt on top of her. "Here, drink this," he told her as he handed her a plastic cup with the medicine in it. "On second thought," he said. Her hands were shaking so hard she couldn't hold the cup. He sat next to her, put his arm around her and put the cup to her lips. "Drink up."

"Thank you," she said. "I hope Kelsey doesn't get this. I don't know how I'll take care of her and myself."

Chase pulled the covers up and said, "That's what I wanted to ask you. Would you like me to keep Kelsey with me for a couple of days? You know, just until you're not contagious? She may already be infected but if she's not, it could keep her from getting sick."

Penny's teeth were chattering and she couldn't get warm. "Would you really do that, Chase?" she asked.

"Of course. Tomorrow's Friday and I don't have classes. I can keep her with me and Sarah can watch her when I come up to check on you."

"You're a saint," she said. "Just grab her backpack and put a few things in it for tomorrow. Oh, and don't forget her toothbrush, okay?"

Chase bent down and kissed her forehead and said, "Don't worry. She'll be fine. You just get better."

"I'm just SO cold," she said as she pulled the covers over her head.

Chase grabbed something for her to wear the next day then put her things...and her toothbrush...in her back pack. He slung it over his shoulder then gently lifted her out of the bed pulling off the blanket on top to cover her on the way downstairs. He put her in his bed, pulled up the covers, then grabbed his pillow and another blanket and went to sleep on the couch.

The next morning, Chase was still sound asleep when he felt someone poking him. "Chase? Why am I at your house?" Kelsey was standing in front of him still wearing the clothes she'd been wearing from the day before.

"Oh, hi there, sweetheart. Well, your mommy is really, really sick and she didn't want you to get sick, too. So you're staying with me today. Is that okay?"

"Well, I guess. Can we play on the swings?" she asked hopefully.

He looked at his watch and saw it was 6:15 in the morning. "Um, sure. But maybe after breakfast? Would that be okay?"

"Okay," she said. "Can I lay down here, too?"

Chase lifted up the blanket and Kelsey climbed up and laid next to him. He laid the blanket back down and both of them fell back asleep.

"Oh...my...God! What is this?"

Chase forced one eye open and saw Sarah standing there in her nightie. She was staring at Kelsey who was sound asleep next to him. "Her mom has the flu," he croaked, his voice still raspy.

"Oh, great! So you bring the carrier into our house so I can get sick, too. Thanks a lot, Chase!"

He couldn't sleep any longer so he got up and put on some coffee. He got out a pan and the pancake batter and realized he hadn't made pancakes in a very long time. By the time he had a half dozen of them on the plate, Kelsey woke up and again and said, "I'm hungry."

"Perfect timing, little lady. Do you like pancakes?"

She walked over to him and wrapped her arms around one of his legs and said, "I love pancakes. They're my favorite. Do you have syrup and butter, too? My mommy always puts them on mine."

"Yes, I do, and these are ready for you. Come on, let's figure out how to get you up high enough to eat and then I'll butter your pancakes and cut them up."

"Don't forget the syrup!" she reminded him.

Mercifully, Sarah had gone back to bed leaving them to eat in peace. "Were those good?" he asked her.

"Yes, they were yummy, yummy, yummy for my tummy, tummy, tummy."

"Okay, then finish your milk and go brush your teeth, okay?"

Chase checked in on Penny every few hours until Sarah got ready to go to...work. Chase let her know he wouldn't be back until morning unless she called with an emergency. Penny still felt terrible alternating between freezing and being feverish every few hours. He'd kept giving her the TheraFlu and made she sure she drank as much water or soup as she could stand. She finally had a few crackers for dinner and told him again how thankful she was for watching her daughter.

"My pleasure. We've had a blast. Pancakes this morning. Swings for an hour. Peanut butter sandwiches. More swings. But dinner's gonna be Chicken McNuggets and fries. Sorry, but I'm not much of a cook."

"Oh, that's fine. McNuggets are her favorites, by the way."

"Oh, yeah. She only told me that four or five times today."

Penny tried to smile then said she had to get back to bed. "I guess our dinner will have to wait," she said.

"I guess so. But I'll look forward to it whenever it happens. Just get some rest, okay?"

Before Sarah went to work she said, "I can't take any more of...this," nodding to Kelsey.

"It's just for a couple of days, Sarah. Come on, you don't want her getting sick, do you?"