The Taking of Lena Ch. 11

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Thank you...for not turning me away. I've missed you so much," Lena said, trying her hardest to maintain composure.

Jonathan smiled kindly at her and stroked her hair, a simple gesture he hadn't done for years.

"You're dressed like a lady," Jonathan remarked, glancing at Lena again. Lena smiled shyly, slightly running her hand along the lace trim of her elegant day gown.

"Do you like it?" Lena asked.

"Expensive silk can do wonders for a whore, Lorena," he replied.

Lena's heart skipped a beat, and she shook her head in confusion and hurt.

"No, Master Sterling...I'm Lena," she said frantically.

"How many more wealthy men have you whored yourself to this week?

he said, voice rising.

Lena's mouth fell open silently. She was too stunned to react. She'd never heard Master Sterling utter such crude words. She knew that Sterling had no way of knowing what had happened to her in München, but nonetheless, his words still felt exceptionally cruel.

"Lena, he's not himself...it's just his medicine, love--" she heard Renz say.

"God will judge you for your lustful sins. And I will laugh as you burn in Hell," Sterling said loudly. His voice broke on a sudden gasp, and he began coughing heavily.

Lena reached for a handkerchief that sat on his bedside table. She tried to keep her emotions under control as Sterling coughed into it, slightly staining it with flecks of blood. She felt like her heart was breaking, and she knew she'd need to leave soon before she became wholly devastated.

Once his coughing subsided, Lena brought a glass of water to Sterling's lips, softly encouraging him to drink with a gentle hand on his shoulder. At first he locked his mouth, refusing to drink anything as his angry eyes bore into hers. But eventually, his expression softened and he nearly emptied his glass, spilling several drops.

He reached for her when Lena briefly glanced away to return the glass.

"Lena, dear...my dear girl...you've come to see me," Sterling said.

Lena sighed sadly, and swallowed hard to keep from sobbing.

"Yes, Master Sterling. I've come to visit you," she said, forcing a smile on her face.

Sterling reached for her hand, his fingers struggling to close on hers. He slightly extended his free hand, beckoning her to come closer. Lena slightly leaned forward, and she could hear Sterling faintly whisper in her ear.

"But you are a whore just like your mother," he said.

The doors opened before she could react, and Lena could hear Marie approaching. And she was grateful. She wouldn't be able to keep her emotions hidden from Sterling any longer.

"I think Master Sterling needs his rest," Marie said softly, almost apologetically. Lena could tell from Marie's worried, yet knowing expression that she was somehow aware of what Sterling had said.

Lena nodded slowly, and deeply inhaled, knowing she wouldn't be able to keep her tears at bay for much longer. She placed a soft kiss on Sterling's cheek, and gave his hand one last squeeze.

She walked towards a waiting Renz, and reached for him before she fell over in sadness. She knew that Sterling's words would haunt her even more than the last, and she found herself wishing to escape as soon as possible.

"Actually...I was wondering if I could have a few moments alone with Jonathan," Renz said.

Lena looked up at him in surprise, and then glanced at Marie. She could tell that Marie was deciding whether or not she should argue, but the resigned nod indicated that she did not want to offend her wealthy guest.

"Just for a few minutes. It will give us some time to talk," Marie said, placing her hand on Lena's shoulders.

Lena slightly leaned into Marie as they exited the bedroom, and when she felt the older woman begin to stroke her hair, Lena temporarily allowed herself to forget just how much Sterling Manor, Master Sterling, and she, had changed.

******

******

Renz waited for several moments once the doors were closed. He stood silently and perfectly still, and took slow, steady breaths to quell his anger. He had to remind himself that Jonathan was dying and delirious. Surely he wasn't entirely aware of what he'd said.

But the words the old man had spoken were unacceptable, delirious or not. He'd nearly made Lena cry, and Renz was somewhat frightened by how much he wanted to...punish the dying man for it.

"What are you doing in my room?" Jonathan said suddenly.

Renz slowly raised his head and strolled toward Jonathan, taking the seat Lena had just vacated.

"I know you're in there Jonathan. I only have a few minutes, so right now...I need you to focus," Renz said firmly.

Jonathan turned his head towards Renz, eyes slightly squinting. But eventually, he weakly nodded.

"What do you want, Mr. Wolfenbarger?" Jonathan said.

Renz folded his hands and slightly leaned closer to Jonathan.

"I'm going to ask Lena to marry me very soon. And I would like your permission," Renz replied.

Jonathan broke into laughter then, his smile wide and teeth slightly decayed. His laughs sounded more like wheezes, and Renz handed him his water before he began to choke again.

"Why bother? You said yourself you are not a man for marriage. She's already whored herself to you. Her value is gone," Jonathan said.

Renz clenched his fist and locked his jaw to keep from striking Jonathan. He glanced away from the old man as he waited for that instant, reactionary surge of anger to dissipate, and he became somewhat distracted by a highly frayed photograph that sat on the nightstand table.

It was a very beautiful, smiling young woman. Her long, pale hair was pulled over one shoulder in gentle waves, and she held a small, dark-haired infant fondly in her arms. Despite the poor quality of the image, the woman's wide, pale eyes, heavily fringed with long lashes, were almost violently striking. They were Lena's eyes, and Renz knew immediately that he was staring at an image of her mother.

"Lena never whored herself to me, Jonathan. She never came to me willingly. I forced myself upon her," Renz said quietly.

The words felt like repeated blows to his chest as he spoke them. With each word, Renz was overwhelmed with shame. He wondered briefly about how Jonathan would react, but he was more concerned with the reality of what he'd just spoken, for this was a very painful confession. He'd forced himself on Lena, his beautiful Lena whom he'd quickly grown to love. He'd harmed her unforgivably.

But somehow, Lena had given him her forgiveness. Somehow, Lena's innate strength had kept her from being destroyed by what he'd done.

"You couldn't resist her," Jonathan said.

Renz lowered his head and nodded slowly.

"She tempted you with her face and her body. Just like her mother. They are whores, Mr. Wolfenbarger. Not wives. I prayed for years that Lena would be different...but the very first night of her womanhood, she brought about your violent lusts, didn't she?" Jonathan demanded.

Renz was speechless for several moments, completely unprepared for how to handle Jonathan.

"I'm not entirely certain if it is your medicine or natural disposition, but you are treading very dangerous ground, Jonathan. I forced Lena. She didn't ask for or encourage anything that happened that night," Renz said darkly.

Jonathan laughed again, his wheezing smile sickening.

"Whores can't be raped, Mr. Wolfenbarger," Jonathan said, glancing at the image of Lena's mother.

Renz was suddenly overcome with a grave realization, and he lost control of his anger. Renz yanked Jonathan violently by his dressing gown collar, and glared at him dangerously.

"You forced Lena's mother, didn't you? You are Lena's father," Renz spat harshly.

Jonathan's eyes filled with fear, and he began harshly coughing, forcing small flecks of blood onto his bedclothes.

Renz released him once he noticed how strong his grip really was, and he tersely refilled Jonathan's water glass and handed it to him.

He took the glass once Jonathan finished drinking, and the coughs had stopped. He stared at the old man expectantly, wondering if he'd lost him again. But Jonathan still appeared to be lucid.

"Unlike yourself, I am not a man to succumb to animal lusts, Mr. Wolfenbarger. I loved Lorena. But she and I...we never consummated that love. I was married, and Lorena was pregnant upon arrival. It would have been entirely improper," Jonathan said.

Something shifted in Jonathan's eyes, and Renz knew it would only be a matter of moments before he was lost again.

"Jonathan, focus, who is Lena's father—"

"You can't take Lorena away from me!" Jonathan said suddenly. The frail man suddenly sat up in bed, the sheets falling away from his body. He was nothing more than a trembling pile of bones, and Renz tried to beckon him to rest.

"Jonathan, tell me who Lena's father is. I know you know his identity," Renz urged.

Jonathan grinned wildly again, and he laughed hysterically at Renz. Renz was momentarily shocked when Jonathan suddenly struck him hard across the jaw, his force powerful despite his frailty.

Jonathan completely stood out of his bed then, and nearly fell over, but Renz held onto his arms. Jonathan began swinging his fists rapidly, seemingly oblivious to the heavy coughs that were shaking his body.

"Jonathan, stop it, focus, we're talking about Lena—"

"Lorena is never want for a man's affection. Your money won't keep her. She loves only me!" Jonathan cried. The old man continued to strike him, fists beating against Renz's face, but his anger-fueled strength was beginning to fade.

Renz heard the doors open then, and he leaned close to Jonathan, and whispered directly in his ear.

"Tell me who Lena's father is...now," Renz said slowly.

Jonathan's breathing slightly slowed, and Renz knew he had momentarily returned.

"Be warned, Mr. Wolfenbarger. Lena is even lovelier than her mother was. Her beauty is her curse, her sin...she is dangerous for men, and she is dangerous for you," Jonathan said weakly.

Renz tightened his grip on Jonathan's arm.

"Her father...now," Renz said.

He could hear Marie frantically approaching them as Jonathan's body began shaking with coughs. He guided the dying man back to his bed, trying his hardest to hide his anger and disappointment from the busy maid that had entered the room.

Jonathan succumbed to rest then, but not before the faint utterance of "American" reached Renz's ear.

******

******

"How much longer does he have?" Lena asked softly.

She watched Marie's hands as the older woman prepared a cup of tea in what Lena surmised was one of the last sets of English china that remained in Sterling Manor. It was a pretty, floral design in royal blue and gold that Lena was very familiar with. She smiled in bittersweet recognition when she remembered that this was the set she'd used to serve Master Sterling and Renz just a few months prior.

And as Marie extended the delicate cup, Lena was filled with nervousness. She'd never consumed from the fine china of Sterling Manor. She'd lived there as a servant, not as a guest.

"You're pale, Lena. Have some tea," Marie said, when Lena hadn't moved.

Lena blinked several times, bringing herself back to the present, and tried to graciously accept the tea from Marie.

She watched as Marie continued to serve her, and only her, elegantly placing small biscuits and fruits on the tiny saucer. Marie appeared to be nervous, and that disturbed Lena. She didn't want to be served or feared. She only wanted to be loved.

"Marie?" Lena asked softly.

Marie stopped moving, and slowly sat down in front of Lena.

"Master Sterling will be joining Mrs. Sterling very soon," she answered finally.

Lena slowly exhaled as she processed the reality of Master Sterling's health. She hadn't been expecting Marie to say anything different, but hearing the truth out loud felt just as severe as seeing Master Sterling's frailty with her own eyes.

"I can stay and help," Lena suggested. She noticed that Marie was staring at her cup of tea expectantly, her back uncomfortably erect. Lena had positioned her own body that way for many years. It was the submissive posture of a servant waiting to receive confirmation of a guest's satisfaction.

Not knowing what else to do, Lena reached for her tea and took several sips. Only then did Marie's body begin to relax.

"This isn't your place anymore, Lena," Marie said.

Lena nearly dropped her glass, and she stared at Marie openmouthed. Hadn't Marie forgiven her?

"Marie, I—"

"You misunderstand me. I see you now, and you are...radiant. You've evolved from a shy girl to a beaming woman. I don't want you to regress by assuming the role of a servant again," Marie interrupted calmly.

Lena slightly sunk into her seat. She knew Marie had intended to be kind to her, but it felt like rejection once more.

"I'm still the same," Lena said quietly.

Marie shook her head and leaned towards Lena, softly placing her hand on her shoulder. That contact brought Lena back to her childhood, to being raised by Marie, and Lena leaned her cheek against her wrist fondly.

"You've blossomed Lena. You share love with a very powerful man. That is more than I could hope for any daughter of mine," Marie said.

Her words made her spine stiffen, and Lena suddenly became very guilty. Marie had clearly grossly idealized her relationship with Renz, and it felt...wrong to allow her to believe that.

Lena glanced at Marie, prepared to clarify, but the hopeful expression on her tired face made her pause. Marie had clearly suffered enough, and Lena did not want to add to her anguish.

So instead, she chose to foster her hope.

"Yes...he...I love him very much," Lena said. She'd prepared to expel the lie as quickly as possible, but to her surprise, her words flowed smoothly and naturally. The dishonesty did not burn like bile in her throat. Instead, it felt almost...organic.

Marie's eyes nearly twinkled, and she scooted closer to Lena, and wrapped her arm around her shoulder.

"Tell me about the proposal, where did it happen?" Marie asked gleefully. Lena forced a smile on her face for Marie's benefit, and she could feel the joy emanating from her body.

"At Schloss Wolfenbarger...that's his home. We'd returned from a trip to Berlin...and...he gave me this," Lena said quickly, shyly showing Marie the ring.

Lena blushed as Marie took her left hand, and closely inspected the diamond.

"Good heavens...this is extraordinary. He will certainly make a good husband for you," Marie said, releasing her hand.

Lena shyly brought her hand close to her body, hoping her embarrassment would subside. But Marie was staring at her expectantly, with that same hopeful expression on her face. Lena sighed, realizing that it wouldn't be enough for her to simply state an engagement.

Marie wanted her to elaborate.

Lena took a deep breath, nervous that Marie would eventually see through her lies. But she knew she needed to say something. She wanted Marie to continue to look at her with pride and love, not sadness and disappointment.

"He will...Herr...Renz...he really is a wonderful man," Lena said hesitantly.

Marie smiled fondly, color beginning to return to her cheeks. So Lena took a deep breath, and continued speaking.

"His charm is infectious. His charisma, laughter. His confidence is a joy and thrill to witness," Lena said, surprised by how easily her words flowed.

"A love match...I couldn't be happier," Marie said.

Lena softly bit her lip, her thoughts suddenly centering on nights in bed with Renz. That was when she enjoyed him most, when she was most fond of him. After their bodies had joined, after they'd calmed from the excitement...the sight of the satisfied, slightly lazy Renz made her happy.

"He can be domineering, aggressive...but there is a very strong part of him that is gentle too. Thoughtful. Sensitive, even," Lena continued.

She thought about the night before in the penthouse of the boutique hotel, the rose petals, the music, his lips on every surface of her body. She thought about the way he'd moved over and inside of her with the perfect balance of strength and tenderness that had left her utterly libidinous and wanton.

She thought about the way he'd touched her, the way he'd kissed her, and Lena momentarily forgot about where she was, and slipped into a brief reverie.

But the sudden sound of Master Sterling's harsh wheezing in the other room jolted Lena back to the present, and Marie frantically rushed towards the doors, flinging them open.

Lena nervously followed, her heart filling with alarm when she saw that Renz holding onto a trembling, coughing Master Sterling, trying to urge him back into bed. Lena noticed that Renz's jaw had slightly reddened, and she frowned in confusion, wondering how that came to be.

She looked again at Sterling, and Lena felt an overpowering pain and sickness begin to overtake her body. So much more of his frail body was exposed where he stood. His bare arms and legs looked like broomstick handles, moments away from breaking as he trembled. Marie rushed forward and adjusted the sheets of his bed as Renz placed him back inside, but Lena had already seen him. Sterling, the only father she'd known, was barely more than a skeleton, and he was really, truly dying.

"Lena?" she heard Renz say.

She couldn't move or speak as she watched Marie care for Sterling. Her chest swelled in pain as she wondered how Sterling would die thinking of her. Would he die loving her, or would he die hating her, believing her to be a whore?

"This way, Lena," she heard Renz say.

His arm was around her waist, holding her closely, and they were moving...but Lena wasn't sure where they were going.

"Does she do this often?" she could faintly hear Marie say.

They were back in the hallway, and Lena was momentarily dumbfounded, unsure of how they got there so quickly.

"It's...just how she copes. She's in shock," she could hear Renz reply.

Lena wanted to interject, to explain that she wasn't in shock...not exactly.

She was just overwhelmed with fear. Sterling couldn't die hating her.

Marie walked ahead of them, and pushed open the doors to the Crown suite. And to Lena's surprise, it was still furnished exactly the same way as when she'd left.

"Maybe just a few minutes," she heard Renz say.

Lena wandered over to the bed, glancing warily at the tiger pelt on the floor. She sat down on the ottoman at the foot of the bed, hearing, but not truly comprehending, what Marie and Renz were discussing just outside.

The Sterling that she knew and loved wasn't there anymore. And what saddened Lena most was the fact that his illness didn't seem to be the cause of that departure.

Sterling had changed the day he'd banished her.

She heard the bedroom door close, and Lena looked up and saw Renz tentatively entering.

"How are you, Lena?" Renz asked softly.

He kneeled in front of where she sat on the ottoman, and Lena couldn't help but smile at the slight sense of déjà vu.

"It was this room...just like we are now," Lena said eventually. Renz smiled bitterly and kissed the inside of her wrist.

"I know...but surely it feels different being back," Renz said. Lena nodded and reached for his shirt collar, absently playing with the fabric.

"What are you thinking Lena?" Renz said eventually. Lena sadly looked into his concerned eyes.

"Master Sterling thinks I'm a whore like my mother. He will die...repulsed by me," Lena said shamefully.

Renz wrapped his arms around her waist and gently pulled her forward, holding her tightly.

"His medicine confuses him, Lena. My father had something similar for his pain when he was dying," Renz said. Lena slightly frowned.