The Twelve Tables Ch. 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
xelliebabex
xelliebabex
5,526 Followers

"Then is my turn to play doctor and I think a full physical is necessary before I sign off on his diagnosis," he murmured as he kissed her his hand working to remove the short nightgown she wore. He kissed along her jawline and down her throat. "No more apologies, you have nothing to apologise for," he placed a finger on her lips, and he continued to kiss down over her breasts.

Peri sighed and leant back against the pillows closing her eyes and losing herself in the sensations of being with him. He turned her slightly as he kissed down her belly to see the bruised hip Pete had been concerned about.

"Shit what did you fall on?" he leant back in surprise taking in the vivid dark red and purple discoloration of her skin that sat in a large misshapen circle over the side of her hip and part of her of her lower back.

"Is it that bad?" Peri grabbed the sheet to cover herself self-consciously. She could feel the bruise but hadn't looked in a mirror to try and see it properly. "I don't remember I was turning toward her when she hit me then suddenly Dante was there helping me up."

"You don't remember falling?" Josh frowned at her worry etched on his face.

"It all just happened so fast. I was stunned that she did it. It took me a moment to realise I wasn't standing up anymore," Peri admitted. "I didn't hit my head or anything like that." She tried to soothe the lines out of his face as he stared at her. "I'm fine honestly. I hardly feel it at all now."

"That's obviously the painkillers helping you. You're going to feel it tomorrow," he moved back up the bed and wrapped his arms around her. "No going into work for the rest of the week, rest and heal." Peri began to protest, and he chuckled kissing her. "They have survived for years without you there to help them; they can survive a few days."

"I will be bored at home. You know that this isn't the first time someone's tried to bully me into doing something," she said softly and looked up into his face. "It was the first time I stood up for myself, though, and that's because of you. I feel quite good about standing up to Sabrina." Peri reached up and stroked his cheek, "I don't know how I ever got so lucky, but nothing she said could change what I feel for you."

"I'm relieved about that," Josh grinned. "I would hate to have to chase you down and make you see sense." He kissed her lightly holding her close. "Why were you so upset when you called me if you felt that way?"

"Your brothers had made such a fuss, and I knew they blamed Nik because of the lunch and the way she didn't want Ben walking me back to work. He said it was because he wanted to see Dante about something but she kept making excuses for him to stay even after he organised for her to go to dinner at his house tonight," She said quietly. "I don't want to be the cause of problems between you and Nik or them and Nik. I hated calling you at work but the more they kept me trapped in my office the worse I felt about causing problems and I just wanted to go home." She blushed then. "I was so embarrassed by all the fuss. I'm used to dealing with things on my own, and your brothers took charge and wouldn't listen to me when I told them that it was my fault."

"None of what happened was your fault," Josh said frowning at her.

"I said some horrible things to Sabrina," she admitted feeling her face burn with guilt and embarrassment. "I pushed her too far before she slapped me and that's when it all went pear-shaped I was fine until your brothers showed up."

"You were hurt," Josh argued, "You weren't fine. You don't have to do everything on your own now. I know it can be overwhelming, but my family is very important to me. I understand your not used to it, but it can be a wonderful thing to have people to call on when you need a hand. It can also be a pain in the arse when they interfere, but mostly they mean well."

"So you won't be mad at Nik? Peri asked tentatively.

"I'm mad at her," he admitted. "Not mad enough to make this into a bigger deal than it already is but she crossed a line with me, and it will take some time to repair the damage done over the last few weeks," he said honestly. "I can forgive her for how she treated you if that is what you want, but she has totally disregarded my feelings and I am not too big to admit that it hurts that she would treat me this way. My anger at her has little to do with you and more to do with how she has treated me. You may have been the catalyst but my issue with my sister is not your fault, this has been brewing for some time and I will make that very clear to her."

Peri considered his words. In all of the drama, she hadn't considered that he might have been hurt by Nik actions. She had no brothers or sisters, but she knew how she felt every time Andie had let her down or pushed her into something she didn't want. She understood his feelings and now that he had explained how he felt she was mad at Nik herself for the pain she had caused him.

"I understand," she said softly snuggling into his chest.

"Good," he grinned and ran his hand down her back and groaned. "Now that I know you are recovering, I need to go and finish what I was working on when I left work," he checked his watch. "If I stay here much longer I will end up doing more damage to that hips of yours." He leant over the side of the bed and retrieved her nightgown. "Why don't you and Andie have a pizza and movie night and I will be back later to tuck you in." Josh helped Peri dress and carried her out to the couch.

Andie seemed relieved to see them smiling and readily agreed to a movie night offering to cook for Peri rather than get pizza.

"I love you," Josh murmured into her ear as he kissed her goodbye. "I'll let Dan and Lio know you won't be in tomorrow, we'll negotiate the rest of the week," he said firmly.

"I will be okay in the morning," Peri protested.

"Show your mother your hip and I bet she will agree with me, or should I just get Pete to come back?" Josh gave her a look that said he knew she would not be fine in the morning.

*****

Josh got back to the office in record time plans that he had been working on for months coalescing in his mind as he drove. He smiled as he saw Louisa look up at him in relief. He had rushed out so fast she had worried there was an emergency. He signalled her to follow him into his office and closed the door behind them.

"Have you enjoyed working for me so far?" Josh asked, and Louisa looked up at him in surprise.

"I love it, and I am picking everything up as fast as I can. I'm sorry if I haven't got the hang of everything yet," she said in a panic thinking that he was sending her back to the research section of the company. "I'm learning so much I will get better I promise."

"You're doing a great job," Josh reassured her quickly. "What I meant to ask was, are you happy as my assistant? Do you miss the research and your friends down on the lower floors?" he saw the confusion on her face. "I need you to be honest, nothing you say to me will affect your job here at the company. I am more than happy with how quickly you have gotten up to speed."

"I love the work, talking to the authors and organising your schedule. I like the variety of things I get to do," She seemed to hesitate. "It was great when Peri was here, it's taken me a while to get to know the other people on this floor." She paused and he looked at her expectantly so she continued.

"Honestly, I've never felt like I belong here. I am not like the other girls. It's like at school; here you have the beautiful and glamourous popular kids and down there you have the nerdy and bookish geeks, and I am not nerdy enough to be totally comfortable down there but I am not glamourous enough to be up here. I need the in-between group that like pizza and beer nights," she laughed.

"What I'm about to tell you must stay just between us at this time," he said in a quiet voice. "I'm considering a change. There is a small boutique publishing house I have been investigating. It will never be as big or as glamorous as this place, but I think I could make it into something competitive on a smaller scale. I'd like you to come with me when I leave. I can't offer you the opportunities that this company can, but I can throw in the odd pizza and beer night," Josh chuckled.

"You're leaving?" Louisa was shocked.

"Not yet and it's best if you don't say anything before I make an offer on the business I have in mind. I will need someone who knows how I operate to help me when I do make the move, and I would like that person to be you. You work hard and pick things up quickly. You have done what I have asked to the letter without improvising if you were unsure. You do not presume to speak for me with the clients or senior partners. You are one of the best assistants I have had here," he said honestly but knew the flattery couldn't hurt his cause. "Think about it if you like but don't take too long."

"I don't have to think about it. You said the magic words, pizza and beer," she laughed easily. "Just let me know when we are making the move, and I will do my best to work everything out for you."

"Thanks, you'll be the first to know trust me. For now, can you clear my calendar for tomorrow, I need to take a personal day," Josh said with a wink. "You can call me if there's anything important." He moved behind his desk and pulled out a leather folio from a locked drawer. "I think I have just enough time to get to the bank. Thanks, Louisa, I'm glad you're on board." He pulled a card from the folio and picked up his phone.

"Whatever I can do to help," she said and quietly left his office.

"Hey Marco," Josh said into his phone, "I'm on my way down to see you, can you wait for me please I am racing out of the building as we speak." He followed Louisa from his office and headed for the elevator. "Yeah I'm at work so I will be there in less than ten." He closed his phone and stepped into the elevator. He wasn't sure he was ready to make this move, but it was necessary to make his point clear with his sister.

Like a man on a mission Josh quickly moved through the city streets and walked into the old building and the office of Marco. He'd gone without a lot of things over the years in favour of helping his sister to achieve her dreams. It wasn't fair the way his father still regarded the girls as needing less than their brothers expecting them to marry well and have babies to ensure the continuation of the family. Josh had always allowed Nik a certain amount of access to his trust fund account as well as a credit card that he paid for on a monthly basis. He could afford it between his family allowance and his trust fund which were additional to his weekly wage, he had never been able to deny her anything, until now.

He signed the last form effectively cutting her off from the extra support he had always given so freely. If she couldn't respect him and give him the same unconditional support he showed her, he had no reason to continue the farce. He imagined her face as she realised she would have to survive on the small allowance she received from the family and the income from her boutique which usually ran at a loss. He knew she wouldn't understand his reaction to this incident, but he wasn't going to be the one to explain it to her. When he saw her again, he would treat her with the politeness and arms-length affection he would use on any relative.

"What do I tell her when she comes in here screaming like a banshee?" Marco asked delicately. "You let her get away with too much for too long, and she won't like suddenly being cut off."

"Indeed, I have, and that is changing as of this moment. Tell her the truth. Tell her that I came in and cut her off. She can take it up with me," Josh chuckled understanding Marco's worried face. "It's time she started living her life instead of mine.Thanks for staying late for me," Josh stood and held out his hand. Marco took it nodding and came from behind his desk to walk Josh to the now closed and locked doors.

"Anytime, your family are important members of our community," he said easily. Nodding to the security guard, he let Josh out and went back to go through the security check with the senior staff.

Josh pulled out his phone and called Ben as he walked back to his car. "Hey, thought I would call by for a few minutes if you're home," Josh said without preamble.

"Sure but you should know I invited Nik for dinner tonight, not sure if she will show up, though," Ben said warily trying to gage Josh's mood.

"I don't care," Josh shrugged despite his brother not being able to see him.

"Alright see you when you get here, you can tell me how Peri is when you get here," Ben said realising she must be okay if Josh wasn't by her side.

"Pete's given her some pretty heavy painkillers so she will sleep most of the night," Josh chuckled. "See you soon."

Josh considered what he planned to say to Ben. He knew Ben would back his business plan but he liked to show he had considered every angle before asking for such a large investment from the family. He considered going it alone, being his own boss and not being beholden to the family way of doing business. It was what he, and Nik had talked about for so long, breaking free of the shackles of the family. He had put off becoming a family man far longer than any of his brothers had but now confident that he had found a woman that could accept his family's traditional ways he was not as concerned about joining the family.

He pulled up in front of the large riverfront home. If he had his choice he wouldn't live in the city, he'd be happy in a home like his Uncle Andreas, looking out over the wineries and mountains of the hinterland. He was barely out of his car when the door burst open, and his nephew ran down to greet him wrapping his arms around Josh's legs.

"Zio," he yelled happily as Josh hoisted the small boy up into his arms. "I'm so glad you're here. I need your help." His face turned serious, and he lowered his voice.

"I know that's why I came," Josh said equally seriously. "I told you I can feel it when you need me, and I will always be here." He had started up the stairs before Ben arrived at the door to welcome him. "We've got some important business to discuss," Joshua said with a perfectly straight face, "Can we use your office?"

"I see, sounds serious," Ben scratched his cheek. "Dinner is almost ready so better be quick then," Ben said stepping back from the door and letting them through.

"Are you staying for dinner, Zio?" BJ asked.

"We'll have to ask Mama because she wasn't expecting to have a feed me as well," Josh said noncommittally as he carried the boy through the house. "Where are your sisters?"

"Getting dressed up because Zia Nikki might be coming too," BJ rolled his eyes in a perfect impression of his father. After five daughters Ben's wife had finally presented him with a son who suffered daily under the effects of living with so many sisters. Reaching the office, he sat the little boy in the chair behind the desk adjusting to its highest setting before taking a seat n the other side.

"I almost five now," BJ began leaning his forearms on the desk and clasping his hands as he had seen his father do.

"Practically middle-aged," Josh said seriously and received a roll of the eyes.

"I'm starting school next year, I'm not a baby anymore," he said emphatically.

"Indeed," Josh agreed nodding.

"You have to make them take the training wheels off my bike," BJ said in a pained voice. "I ride Alexander's bike all the time without them. I can do it. You have to tell mama she won't listen to me, and Papa just does what she says. Girls are sooooo bossy." He shook his little head as I this caused him grat pain.

"I'll talk to Papa tonight, and we'll take those trainers off. It's important for us men to stick together on matters like this. You're a young man; you need your ride to look cool. I get it." Josh said supportively. "Leave it to me, I'll make it happen." He leant across the desk to shake hands with the little man still keeping a straight face. "Come to think of it, you might be about due for a bigger bike this Christmas maybe we should think about a letter to Santa, if he brought you one without training wheels, then there wouldn't be a problem anymore." Josh considered if crossing Emily was a good idea right now.

"About that, do you think Santa knows everything we do? I mean, well, do you think if your sister was mean and you accidently did something mean back, he would understand that right?" The little boy looked worried.

"Geez mate it would have to be a pretty special letter," Josh sat back in his seat and scratched at the stubble on his face. "I tell you what, I've got a friend who is really good at writing letters, what if I bring her over to help you out with that?"

"A girl?" BJ said with disgust.

"She's the best letter writer I know and if you want that new bike..." Josh left the sentence hanging.

"You'll still talk to Papa tonight won't you?" he asked hopefully.

"Consider it done. Now we better get to dinner before they send the girl's to look for us," Josh pulled a face.

He stood and held his hand out for his nephew to take before walking back through the house to find the family gathered in the massive kitchen.

"The men have returned, let's eat," Josh announced with a grin and received a dishcloth thrown at him by Ben's wife, Emily.

"Need I remind you that you are outnumbered here," she laughed. "Nik will be here shortly then we eat," she said and turned back to the pot she had been stirring.

"Call us when it's ready," Ben said and shepherded Josh and his son from the room.

"We need to fix this kid's ride Ben, even the wimpy kids are picking on him about the training wheels," Josh said meaningfully, "He's almost five, nearly a man. I'm thinking of buying hi a razor for Christmas and teaching him to shave." BJ giggled, and Ben bent down to look at his son and run a finger over his cheek.

"You could be right but hold off on that razor for a bit longer, the training wheels, on the other hand, we can fix," Ben chuckled. "How's Peri?" he asked as they walked through to the garage where the kid's bikes were stored.

"You should see the damage to her hip. It's the biggest nastiest bruise I have ever seen. Pete's given her some painkillers so I expect she will sleep most of the night," Josh said. "She's with her mother."

"Geez, I'm sorry Josh. Are you sure you don't want me to do anything," Ben said the concern evident in his voice.

"Trust me, it will be better my way," Josh said unemotionally. "We can talk about it later. I brought my prospectus for you to look over. This isn't a spur of the moment decision. It's been brewing for a while. Now that I have made the final decision I'd like to resign from where I am and get going on the new business as soon as possible."

"Then do it, I trust you have a good plan," Ben shrugged. "I'll still go through it with a fine-tooth comb, but you wouldn't have brought me anything that wasn't worked to perfection first."

Ben had wondered how long it would take for Josh to break free of his domineering twin and he wasn't surprised that Josh already had a plan for his future. He was a control freak and the only person who had ever been able to get him to change his mind about anything had been Nik who he had doted on his whole life.

The training wheels took minutes to remove much to BJ's delight, and they walked back into the house to find Nik standing in the kitchen.

"Great now we can eat, I'm starving," Josh said as Ben nodded at Nik.

"I'm glad you came," Ben said, "The girls have been looking forward to seeing you."

xelliebabex
xelliebabex
5,526 Followers