The Twelve Tables Ch. 22

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I've barely seen you today, I'm sorry," Peri said leaning into his chest as he hugged her close.

"We both have other obligations right now," he held her tightly. "You may not see us after Christmas lunch tomorrow, but you are amazing," he kissed her. "I love you so much, and I hate to ask this but," he proceeded to fill her in on Carlo's plan to flirt with her all night.

"I'll handle it," she said confidently feeling buoyed up by what had happened after the kids concert.

"I have no doubt that you can handle anything," he kissed her. "I'm so proud of you little Mama."

They were leaving as Carlo arrived and he walked back with them making sure Romey had noticed moving to talk to CJ about the lighting program on his laptop.

They were moving the tables to the space in front of the stage when Ben approached Josh.

"BJ won't go to sleep until he's talked to you apparently you have a way to send an apology to Santa?" He said seriously, but Josh could see a small smile turning up the corners of his lips.

"I'll go see him," Josh said equally seriously. "It's man's business, you wouldn't understand," he patted his brother's shoulder and walked off chuckling.

Peri approached Carlo where he sat with CJ. Looking at the computer that would now control the lighting in a better way than Carlo had originally set up.

"Do you mind if I sit with you for a minute. Between the triplets and that children's concert I just need a minute in a quiet corner," she slid onto Carlo's lap and smiled at CJ. "If I had known you would be here I would have gotten you to do the whole lighting plan," she smiled. "No offence Carlo, you did an awesome job, but CJ has a knack with all the tech stuff."

"I agree," Carlo said easily. "have you bothered to eat yet?"

"I'm not that hungry," she said. "The food smells amazing, though," she said looking back over his shoulder.

"I'll get you a sampler plate," Carlo said picking her up as he stood, then putting her back in his seat and kissing her softly. "CJ will bore you to tears with all his geek speak but stay right here," he winked at her and went off to get her some food. She'd met CJ several times over the last eighteen months and felt comfortable with him.

"Your kids were gorgeous tonight," Peri enthused. "That little Wyatt is going to be a lady killer when he grows up."

"I know," CJ chuckled. "You don't have to convince me that you're the little Mama." She did a double take. "Pete guessed a few weeks ago, and Papa came clean. You don't have to schmooze me."

"Well, that's a relief. I hate lying to Pete. He has this look he gives me, and I end up confessing everything back to what I did in the womb." Peri said in relief.

"I know what you mean," CJ laughed heartily. "You have no idea how annoying that was when we were kids."

"Oh god, poor you," she reached out and touched his arm.

"No, poor you little mama. I am sure this is way more than you signed up for when you married Josh," he said softly.

"You know what? It's moments like this that make me stronger," she impulsively hugged him. "I guess that means I shouldn't bank on running away with Wyatt when he gets older?"

"Who knows he might want an affair with a cougar," CJ said with a perfectly straight face making her laugh and continue to laugh when Carlo came back lifting her from the chair and plonking her into his lap.

"What's so funny?" he asked.

"We were just talking about the kids. CJ called me a cougar," Peri pouted but couldn't hold it for long before giggling.

"My son's a lady killer, what can I do?" CJ asked as if it was perfectly reasonable to call her a cougar.

"Shit," Carlo said, "I can't compete with that."

"But you brought me food, and that counts for something," Peri kissed him lightly and picked up the plate he had brought for her. She was still eating while sitting on Carlo's lap when Josh came to squat beside them.

"Did you do it?" Josh asked CJ.

"Is the Pope Catholic?" CJ asked in return, and as Josh kissed Peri and jogged off toward the stage, CJ turned to Peri. "Better have a tissue handy this is gonna be a rollercoaster. Some of my best work if I do say so myself."

"That's my cue," Carlo said wrapping his arms tightly around Peri as he lifted her and settled her back onto his seat. She watched as he walked purposefully toward the stage knowing that he hated the spotlight more than anyone.

"Welcome everybody to this most momentous night," Angelo walked out on stage looking resplendent in a dark suit. "For the locals who have stayed whether you have been to our Christmas festivities in the past or even if your newcomers, welcome! Help yourself to the good food and wine provided by your hosts, my parents, Joseph and Antonia Donati."

"While you enjoy their hospitality and while we, their children, rejoice in coming together after a year of trials and tribulations we ask you to bear with us as we look at the year that was," Ben stepped onto the stage and walked slowly to stand with Angelo.

"There have been some incredible highs and incredible lows this year but at the end of the day, we have supported each other because we are family, and that is what family does," Ben's voice rang out as he joined his brother on stage. "You'll find tonight, not all songs will be Christmas Carols," he said with a wide smile. "Some of the songs you will hear tonight will be of personal significance to only some of us," Ben smiled at Emily who sat clutching her hands before her.

"This song was originally going to be performed by the youngest of my brothers and his wife but in light of the children's concert and recent events, may I introduce my baby brother, Joshua Donati and my beautiful niece Arianna to sing, "When you believe." Carlo's voice seemed unusually quiet as he introduced the song.

Peri heard the opening chords of the song she knew so well start and Josh's voice taking on the deeper part of the song. She saw the montage of family events begin in the background of his singing. She saw last Christmas and her time in hospital after Nik's attack. She saw her house and her wedding. All of those images were interspersed with pictures of the rest of family, including the children's triumphs at sport and school. Timo and Alberto's births as well as her triplets. The tragedy was that within the images were the reminders of Nik and Lio and that they would never enjoy another Christmas concert with the family."

Dante was suddenly there beside her picking Peri up in his arms. "It's your time to show you are worthy of the mantle. Look at the happy things," he advised. "You got married to the man you love, and you had his children. You aren't that girl that Nik intimidated anymore," he said sternly, and she took a shaky breath looking back at the stage keeping her eyes on Josh rather than the pictures.

"He makes a great Whitney," Carlo whispered into her ear as he sat back down with them, "He was always so much prettier than the rest of us." Peri couldn't help but smile at his words.

"I gotta admit, from this angle, he's a bit of a pretty boy," CJ murmured holding back his laughter having overheard Carlo.

"Diva's more like it. Can you believe that matching cummerbund? When did we skip to the high school formal?" Peri whispered, internally thanking both men from pulling her from the melancholy hole she threatened to slip into. They both roared with laughter while everyone around them including Peri looked at them with tears in their eyes. Dante had managed not to do more than snigger, and he turned to look at them with everyone else.

"Fuck!" CJ regained his composure. "How am I supposed to explain that to the wife let alone Papa?"

"Explain what?" Peri dabbed at her eyes with a tissue as the song ended. "Excuse me, gentlemen. I have to hug that young lady who saved me from crying on stage." Peri hurried off toward the stage.

"Your amazing and did it so much better than I ever could," Peri embraced Arianna as she came off stage. "So tell me what I owe you, makeup? Perfume? Covering for you and your boyfriend? I'm not sure Zio would be down for that, though," she laughed lightly.

"Peri, this is the best Christmas ever, do you think I could have some champagne?" Arianna whispered.

"Cheap at half the price," Peri laughed and wrapped her arm around the girl's waist. "Josh could you get me a glass of Champers, please. I feel like celebrating after that. Wasn't she wonderful?" Peri said enthusiastically. They chatted while they waited for his return about school and boys and all the things that consumed Arianna's life.

Josh returned with two glasses, he handed the champagne to Peri and the Ice water to Arianna and turned his back. "No business of mine what you do with them after they are delivered," he said seriously. "I'm going to find your father and well, distract him."

"One glass won't hurt you," Peri laughed and exchanged glasses with Arianna as he walked off.

"Aiding and abetting a minor?" Rosanna asked from behind them. "That's your third glass tonight by my count." She frowned. "Ten O'clock Arianna no later or there will be no Santa do we understand each other?"

"But Mama it's my first grown up concert," Arianna pleaded. "Zio said he talked to Papa about it."

"And it will be your last if your father catches you with more champagne," Rosanna said meaningfully.

"Oh my God this is so unfair!" she whined.

"I know right, like, 'rents!" Peri said in a perfect imitation of the girl. "I promise I will make it up to you," she whispered after seeing the girl smile.

"Fine, ten O'clock," Arianna gave in and began to walk back toward the main house a little way.

"Arianna baby?" Rosanna called after her.

"Aw, Mama I promised," Arianna whined.

"A small sip each and if anyone is sick you clean it up not the nanny." Rosanna winked at Peri.

"Thank you, Mama; you're the best!" Arianna said and rushed off with the glass of champagne before her mother changed her mind.

"She's sweet," Peri said as she and Rosanna walked back into the crowd and Carmen began a solo number on stage. The two women took a seat near the front and applauded loudly when it was done.

"You gave Arianna your big number didn't you?" Roseanna asked amid the applause.

"What? No," Peri laughed. "She did it so much better than I could. My big one includes two of your brothers-in-law. Plus, I am revisiting the Santa Baby song you tricked me into last year. I'll be up on that stage plenty."

It wasn't until later in the evening as she went back to the cottage to relieve the ache in her breasts that Peri realised Dante's earlier words hadn't meant just at that moment but rather during the night. Carmen had walked purposely toward her, and she realised he had meant "Watch out" for them.

"You're a no one from nowhere, you don't belong here, in this family. This is my family! Who asked you to mess with the children's concert? It was perfectly fine the way it had always been," Carmen's bitter voice sounded from behind her as she opened the door to the cottage.

"Do come in, Carmen, I have been expecting your visit," Peri said stealing herself for what would follow.

"I won't stay," Carmen said haughtily. "I'm singing with Josh soon. We have always saved this fiasco of an evening. I'm glad you didn't embarrass him by singing that ballad with him earlier."

"I thought tonight was going better than ever," Peri said cheerily. "It's a shame Romeo doesn't like to sing as much as you do. I don't mind that you have to borrow my husband, though." Peri made it clear who had more right to sing with Josh.

"My husband has other talents," Carmen said her anger getting the better of her and following Peri into the cottage.

"Oh I didn't mean anything by it, all the Donati men are amazingly talented," Peri laughed. "I think they are all missing Lio this year, though," she said her laughter coming to an abrupt end. "Do you want to see the babies?" She asked softly as she walked into the nursery and started the breast pump. She sat in a rocker and draped a shawl over her shoulder as Carmen went to the nearest cot.

"Some babies are born to lead, and some are not," Carmen said stroking Cruze's cheek.

"Isn't it good we don't have to worry about that," Peri said amiably. "Ben is second, and his two sons can worry about who populates the table with them," she said gently. "There has never been twelve from the same mother. Even if he had six like you, they would need the others, and as you said, some children are born to lead and others, well their talents lie elsewhere."

Carmen turned to look at Peri as if she had never considered this fact. "With seven brothers the five must come from elsewhere," she said quietly as if the thought had only just occurred to her.

"Ben only has two, there will be far more than five needed to make up the numbers," Peri corrected her, "I just hope maybe one of mine or even both might show enough strength to join Timo's table." She paused and let that settle into Carmen's mind.

"I'm probably thinking too far ahead, but we mothers want the best for our children, don't we?" She invited Carmen into her confidence as a mother who had the best interest of their children at heart. "It's not worth fighting Ben for leadership, as you said all are not destined to lead, and Timo will have the best of all of our children to help him." She paused again seeing Carmen think about her words.

"Poor Bianca desperately wanted a girl during this pregnancy but had her sixth boy," Carmen said as if sharing a secret. "She's moving overseas did you know? Her children will never be part of the next table.

"Back to Italy?" Peri asked as if she had no clue as to how the tables worked and saw Carmen do the numbers in her head. Her children's future was far more important to her at that moment than the losing battle her husband was fighting.

"No, and you can stop pretending you don't know," Carmen said waspishly. "You think I am so stupid I couldn't see how you kissed everyone's asses tonight? You don't belong here, you never did. Josh has no chance at the chair because of you and no matter what you do you can't change the fact that you and your mother are white trash who only bring down the good name of the Donati's." She turned and looked directly at Peri.

"Then what are you doing here Carmen? If you are so sure I am not a threat to you why are you here at all?" Peri asked calmly. "Did you think you could intimidate me? Is that your plan for being the mother of the table? Intimidating and threatening all of the women of the family into supporting you? How well do you think that's going to work in the long run and what do you think Romey will say when no one is there to support you or help you when you need it."

"You know nothing about how this family works," Carmen's voice rose and the babies stirred in their cribs.

"You're probably right," Peri nodded. "I mean what would I know about supporting my friends and have them support me at these big family gatherings. Just as well I have you around to help me, isn't it? I'm so lucky to have such a kind and caring sister like you to tell me the truth about such things."

"Hello ladies," Carlo said in a loud whisper. "I was sent to find you. You both have final performances coming up. It's getting late."

"You finish," Carmen said quickly. "I'll go back and make your excuses."

"Thank you, Carmen. "I'm so glad I have a friend like you in the family. I couldn't have managed the kids concert without you." Peri said sweetly. "I'll be sure to mention how very helpful you've been to me all night when I see Josh."

"It's been my pleasure, there's no need to say anything," Carmen paled visibly and slipped out of the doorway.

"Everyone underestimates you, don't they?" Carlo whispered walking to Eden's cot and looking down on the little fairy. Peri finished quickly thinking she would express again before bed later that night.

They walked back to the concert area with Carlo lamenting the fact that if she had to fuck one of Josh's brothers she had better options than Dante.

"I love you, Carlo," she laughed, "The difference is that I am in love with them. Both of them," she admitted. "I know it sounds wrong, it is wrong, but they're okay with it, and it works for us." She tried to explain.

"Lucky them," he said sincerely. "I love him, you know. I mean I love all of my brothers but Josh is, well I love him. You handled Carmen well back there. Knowing her children have a chance at the table even though they can't lead will help when Romey fails tomorrow."

"How do you know he will fail?" Peri asked and frowned at him suddenly realising that Carlo knew what no one should know.

"Because I will make sure of it," he shrugged and walked her towards where Josh sat with Lucia watching Carmen sing.

"The babies are all present and accounted for and totally exhausted," Peri said softly leaning down to kiss Josh and having him pull her into his lap.

"She also fired off a torpedo that hit home on a battle-axe," Carlo chuckled making Josh raise an eyebrow at her.

"Lucy it feels like forever since we have spent time together I'm so glad you're here this holiday," Peri said happily. "I've missed you."

"I've been waiting for an invitation to the housewarming, but you'll be having a christening before you get to it I imagine," she laughed.

"Oh gosh, I hadn't even thought of that, my whole world had centred around feedings and diaper changes," she said aghast at her rudeness. "I don't suppose you'd like to help me plan that in the new year?"

"I would love that," Lucia enthused "It will give me an excuse to come and play with the babies."

"You don't need an excuse you are welcome anytime," Peri smiled.

"So here's the girl with the pretty pink car," a tall, muscular man with a big smile sat down with them. "Papa tells me you're a cheeky one."

"You're Papa isn't nearly as grumpy as he makes out," Peri laughed recognising Manuel's son Lorenzo from media photos.

"I hear you're giving away the racing leathers Larry," Josh commiserated.

"We all gotta grow up sometime. Carlo and I have been floating the idea of a custom bike shop to keep me busy," he shrugged. "The wife's happy at least. She didn't want to be on the road with a new baby. Happy wife happy life so they say," he leant back in his chair and extended his long legs.

"Do you have a picture? I'd love to see," Peri asked. "Mine are just starting to get little personalities of their own."

"Do I have pictures," Lawrence laughed fishing his phone out of his pocket and handing it to her. "I'm assuming I'll get to meet your trio of little miracles tomorrow."

"Carlo, you're on lighting for the next one," Pete patted his shoulder. "Larry you ready?"

"Fuck no," he grumbled pushing his chair back and standing. "I want everyone to know I am so very sorry for the fuck-up that's about to occur."

"I see the family resemblance now," Peri grinned at him.

"Papa was right about you," he grumbled shaking a finger at her and walked away toward the stage.

"It's not often we have extended family here for our Christmas Eve concert, so we threw out the challenge to our cousins to perform with us here tonight for no other reason than to give their fathers more ammunition for the Christmas lunch roasting," Angelo laughed heartily. "Let's see what they came up with, with less than a day to prepare."

"Challenge accepted," Pete said as the four Donati cousins and Dino appeared on the stage, and the slow music started. Pete had found a clip of a male group called Collabro singing Stars online and had sent it out to the cousins with instructions. Peri felt goose bumps as the deep, strong voices harmonised so beautifully and the powerful song rang out over the hushed crowd. When they finished people came to their feet clapping and cheering the five men.