The Twelve Tables Ch. 22

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
xelliebabex
xelliebabex
5,527 Followers

"Yeah, that might have backfired on us," Angelo chortled as he took back the microphone clapping the men on the back as they left the stage.

"That's my cue," Josh said standing and kissing Peri's forehead.

"Dino has an amazing voice," Peri said to Lucia as Josh walked away.

"I'm as surprised as you are," Lucia laughed. "I've never even heard him sing in the shower! I might have to have a word with him about that."

"I think I will go check on my mum," Peri said so that Lucia didn't have to feel bad about leaving her sitting at the table alone.

"It's funny, I tend to forget your mother is almost family now," Lucia looked over to where her Aunts and Uncles sat with her parents. "It must be nice to have her here for the holidays."

"In some ways," Peri smiled and began threading her way through the tables to where her mother sat with Charles and Constantine. Peri sat talking with the senior members of the family while Carmen and Josh performed the final song of the evening and then went with Antonia to hand out to final gift baskets for the locals as they headed home.

Peri had worked hard since waking up that morning, and she was exhausted. She'd hoped she made enough of a good impression on all of the family members to help Josh tomorrow, but when Antonia suggested she was ready for bed, Peri couldn't think of anything she wanted more and began saying goodnight to the small crowd that was the extended family.

She apologised to Josh and Dante for her lack of staying power, and while Josh would rather that she stayed a while longer, Dante looked at her with concern. "You've been busy today with the kids concert and all, you look exhausted, go to bed, we can take it from here," he said gently wrapping an arm around her. "The morning when all the children drag their parents out of bed will be just as important. Sleep well," he kissed her and slapped Josh on the back. "Let the games begin."

"I'm proud of what you did tonight," Josh wrapped an arm around her waist and walked her to the cottage. "I'm sorry I've been so preoccupied since returning but I don't imagine it will get any better in the next day or two. Stay close to Mama if you can," he advised softly.

"I'm just fine," she smiled, "Go play with your brothers." She kissed him again. "They all know you're the one, including Romey." She said. "I think he and Carmen are hoping that marrying me will keep you from being the leader in the end. If that happens Josh, I'm sorry."

"If anything changes it won't be because of you or anything you have done," Josh said softly holding her close. "If anything you've ensured my place. I tend to believe Arianna when she says that marrying you was the smartest thing I've ever done."

*****

Peri woke up in the bed alone and took a moment to orientate herself to her surroundings and remember where she was. She could hear voices murmuring somewhere in the cottage and got out of bed pulling a robe around her body and shivering in the cool air of the early morning. She found them sitting in the small living room and cocked her head surveying their dishevelled appearances.

"You should sleep," she said worriedly making them look up at her in surprise.

"Some strong coffee and one of Doc Pete natural wonders and we'll be good as new after a shower and shave," Dante said relaxing back into his chair. He looked at Josh, "You look like a horse has dragged backwards through the bush."

"You think you look so pretty right now?" Josh asked.

"I'm not the pretty boy of the family, though," Dante said meaningfully.

"Well if you're not going to sleep then tell me how the night went before the babies wake up," she said sitting opposite them.

"Romey went to work on Carlo. He knows he needs an Oracle and without Jules, Carlo was the obvious choice. Dante stayed close to Ben. They were always much closer than the other brothers anyway," Josh explained. "I hung out with the seconds mostly, and let them tell me what a lucky man I was to have you. You made quite an impression on everyone."

"CJ and Pete know, Charles told them," she said. "CJ told me I didn't have to schmooze him because he knew I was the next mother."

"I guessed as much. They were pretty relaxed about any alternative reason we came up with for why they had been invited to the Christmas Eve concert, for the first time in a decade," Dante nodded.

"Jules isn't giving much away. I think he's happy to be going to Prague," Josh said thoughtfully.

"I can see he and Bianca would do well there," Dante nodded.

"When's the meeting?" Peri asked.

"I guess after breakfast," Josh looked at Dante for confirmation of his guess.

"That'd be my guess," he nodded.

"You better go shower then," Peri said. "You don't want to be going to that meeting looking the way you do."

"Yeah, alright, I'll go shower," Dante chuckled coming to his feet. "Carlo told us what Carmen said to you and how you handled it," Dante looked at her seriously. "Don't overthink it, she was just lashing out, and I guarantee no one else thinks that way at all." He bent and kissed her forehead heading for the bathroom.

"It's been a big year," Josh said quietly. "I came so close to losing you, and I wouldn't be here on what promises to be the most important day in our family in decades without you." He went and knelt down beside her chair. "I am so grateful that you have accepted everything that marrying me entailed. I'm not sure any other woman would have forgiven me what happen this time last year let alone the weeks that followed." He knew he didn't have to detail her time with the Battaglia and what Nik did to her, they both knew what he meant.

"Mine," Peri said softly touching his cheek. "Forever and always."

"I'm so proud to have you as my wife, never doubt that or my love for you, no matter what happens today or what anyone says to you," he said seriously. "Nothing will ever change that. You are mine forever and always." He kissed her deeply and stood walking off to have a shower leaving her with her thoughts.

Peri went to the nursery and looked at her sleeping babies. This was the world they were born into, and she wanted them to have the best opportunities in life. Their lives would be so different from the way she grew up with nannies and housekeepers and two fathers. She closed her eyes and prayed they wouldn't become as spoilt and entitled as some of Josh's nieces and nephews seemed.

"Peri? Is everything okay?" Madeline whispered coming into the nursery. It seemed only in these early mornings when she was sure no one would be close to hear that Madeline used Peri's name, and she smiled.

"I couldn't sleep, it's nice to see them so settled here," she smiled. "I hate to wake them, but I was hoping to feed them early this morning."

"Their routine has been altered because of all the excitement and people last night. It won't hurt to wake them I'm sure today will be just as exciting for them. We will worry about their proper routine when we go home again," she said quietly. "Would you like me to change Eden for you?"

"Yes please," she smiled. "I'll change Cruze. Come on my sleepy little man," Peri crooned picking the baby up and smiling at his big stretch as she roused him from sleep.

"She'd almost finished feeding Eden and Cruze when Dante came in looking relaxed and fresh in jeans and a checked shirt. His thick black hair had been brushed back away from his face, and she smiled being used to his longer layers being messier because of his habit of running his hand through his hair. Not that his hair was long it barely touched his collar at the back, but it was longer than Josh's which always seemed neatly styled.

"Did you miss out on the good stuff this morning, my boy," he asked Blaze immediately taking him from Madeline. "I feel your pain," he said seriously ignoring Madeline, who tried to hide her smile.

"I was about to give him all my attention and feed him," Peri protested quietly, lifting Eden and handing her to Madeline. She lifted Cruze to her shoulder and patted his back softly as she cuddled him close.

"Hear that buddy? Happy days for you at least," he chuckled and exchanged babies with Peri taking Cruze from her and sitting him up in his rocker.

"Don't pout," Peri laughed. "It's Christmas morning, and you never know if Santa is still watching and might bring you the coffee you've always wanted later."

"You'd think on Christmas morning I could have what I want for breakfast, without having to ask Santa" he grumbled.

"It's time," Josh said coming into the room looking at his phone.

"Mine's on charge, I'll grab it," Dante said with a frown. This isn't what they had expected. "Nothing on mine he called out from the living room. "What does it say exactly?" he walked back into the nursery dropping his voice.

"Athenaeum by six," Josh read the three-word message."They'd have to know we were together," Josh reasoned.

"We go then," Dante shrugged. "They'll tell me if I'm not welcome." He slid his phone into his pocket.

"I'll see you at breakfast," Josh kissed Peri absently his mind only on the text message and what his father wanted.

"It'll be fine," Dante said softly bending to kiss Peri. "Don't look so worried. You've done everything you can and more. Now it's up to us. I love you." He straightened and followed Josh from the room.

Peri watched them go and worried. She looked up at the big clock and knew breakfast wasn't for another hour and a half but felt she needed to shower now just in case things were changing for everyone today. Looking down at her son she smiled, "What do you think Blaze? Does Mama need a shower?"

"Yes Mama most definitely needs a shower," Andie said walking into the room looking fresh and relaxed.

*****

"Just him," Carlo said from where he leaned against a post nursing a large cup of black coffee. "Seems their dealing with bteh challenge themselves before it becomes a thing."

"I guess I'll go find some coffee too then," Dante said easily, but the look he gave Josh was one of concern. "You want a refill?" he asked Carlo after hearing the door lock moments after Josh began mounting the steps.

"I guessed you'd be here, one of the girls is bringing out more and a breakfast sandwich or two," Carlo indicated the nearby chairs and table.

"Who's in there?" Dante asked wanting his suspicions confirmed.

"The table, Ben, Romey and now Josh," Carlo said.

"All the main players, why are you here?" Dante raised an eyebrow.

"I was with Romey listening to how hard he would fuck my stupid ass if I got into bed with him and his lovely wife," he chuckled. "You all think I am this big, dumb cowboy," he shook his head. "Josh never did, though, and if Peri hadn't told me she loved you, I might have challenged you for Oracle. I knew what was going on months ago during the gathering. I think Lio did too, he spoke to Papa about it," he said surprising Dante.

"How do you know that?" Dante frowned.

"People tend to ignore me, I hear all sort of dumb shit cause no one thinks I care enough to do anything about it," he shrugged. "Congrats, by the way, I was hoping to be Josh's Oracle. Not for the reasons you think but because of him. I love him better than the rest of you."

"You're looking pretty this morning," Dante chuckled as Jules arrived with a tray bearing a pot of coffee and food. Carlo winked at him, and they went to sit at the makeshift table to wait. "You think we should let Ang know we're all here?"

"You can wake him up if your game," Carlo shrugged. Dante decided he wouldn't want to be the only one left out and picked up his phone to call his oldest brother.

They all looked up as Ben came out of the Athenaeum and walked toward them and Dante put down his phone again.

*****

Josh mounted the stairs confidently and walked into the huge room taking a quick glance around to see who was present. His face softened into a small smile when he saw his mother sitting at the head of the table between Ben and Romey.

"Good morning," he went to kiss his mother. He glanced over her shoulder and saw his father and uncles sitting comfortably with coffee in the lounging area."So what's going on this early in the morning?"

"You can go, Benedicto, thank you," she said softly offering Josh the vacated seat.

"I will ask you the same question I just asked your brothers, they were here only moments before you and nothing that was said will matter to the outcome of this," she said in quiet but commanding voice. "Who leads the Donati family?"

"The easy answer," Josh said carefully, "would be Papa but I have learned that he is only the public face of the family and Donati table." He looked at his mother and brother with a serious expression. "He has great power and influence and he wields that power overtly and is seen to be wealthy and philanthropic. Anyone could be forgiven for believing he leads alone. The Donati family are led by the twelve each position having expertise and accountability. It's been a hard lesson for me over the last year, but it is one I will not soon forget." He omitted the part where Dante had driven the lesson home just yesterday with a fist to his stomach.

"Very nice dear, but you don't have to make a speech of it," she patted his hand. "We're just talking here. There is always a balance of power, and you know as well as I that not all positions on the table hold as much influence as others. If the table as a whole leads the family who leads the table?"

"The Oracle I guess though I imagine the Oracle and the chair would share it pretty equally," he said honestly.

"Romeo?" she asked.

"I'd agree, but I would put the edge in leadership in the other direction. The chair is after all at the head of the table and the family," Romey debated the point.

"Oh for fuck's sake," Manuel cursed and got to his feet. "You two are missing the point entirely." He stalked over to where they sat and stood behind Antonia.

"Wait," Andreas roared stopping him from saying anymore. "Let Antonia get to her point."

"Okay," she said softly turning to look at Manuel. "I'll hurry it along for you. You're ruining all my fun, though."

"Thank you, Love," he bent and kissed her cheek.

"Romeo, who led the family last night? Who made each and every family member feel welcomed and at home? Who made sure everyone felt included in the family celebrations? Who stood back and let others shine just to make the night more enjoyable for one or two others?" She asked the series of questions to get just one answer.

"You always make everyone feel welcome here," Romey said. "You were, as always, the perfect hostess."

"Joshua?" she smiled and turned toward him.

"Peri," he answered simply not saying anything else. He knew he didn't need to.

"Now I'll ask you both again who leads the Donati family?" she smiled widely.

"The mother you fucking dumbasses," Manuel shook his head and walked back to where his brothers sat.

"Who would inherit the chair has never been about you boys," she said. "Anyone of your brothers can lead with the right support." She turned to Romey then and looked at him directly. "Carmen has a great capacity for love, and she is a wonderful mother and wife, but she doesn't give that love to everyone in the family nor is she accepting of everyone in this family."

"Carmen loves this family as much as I do," Romey argued.

"I don't doubt that, but she would choose to hurt this family if she thought it would further her ambitions for you, and her sons," Antonia spoke directly to the heart of the matter. "The two women argued last night, did you know?"

"I knew that Carmen had spoken to her, not the details," Romey admitted looking at Josh and narrowing his eyes.

"I know," Josh said. "In light of what was said, I don't think Peri would have told me if Carlo hadn't interrupted their conversation. She understands why Carmen said those things to her and doesn't want to make a big deal out of it."

"I'm sure if they argued they both said things they regret," Romey said carefully in defense of his wife.

"Carmen stood over one of Peri's children in the nursery and attempted to threaten and intimidate her. Tell me, what would you do if Emily did that to Carmen and your baby? She could see your challenge for what she sees as her husband's rightful place as a reason to act that way," Antonia said softly and saw him stiffen.

"It's not Josh's rightful place though is it?" Romey said feeling backed into a corner.

"Nor is it yours or anyone of your brothers," Antonia sighed. "If anyone has a right to be sitting there challenging Josh for the position of the family chair it is Ben, though. Emily could have been a strong and wonderful mother of the table. She knows the power lies in the family. Not her son and children but all of the aunts, uncles, and assorted cousins. She would have had to curb her love of gossip, but it could have played to her strengths for leading this family. All of your brothers love her as do the vast majority of your cousins who she's taken the time to know."

"You think they all love and respect Peri over Carmen?" Romey asked incredulously.

"I know they do as do the others who will join your table because she has gone out of her way to befriend them, not because of Josh's ambitions but because they were family. Not just last night but also at your sister's wedding," Antonia turned to face him fully then. "Romeo, you and Josh both, have all of the qualities to lead and be successful, but while Peri was welcoming and making sure everyone including the children enjoyed last night, Carmen barely acknowledged our guests."

"The twelve lead together, and you will be part of that leadership along with your brothers, but Carmen could never be the mother even if she had behaved better this year," Antonia said softly. "Bene would not put aside his wife for her, nor would Angelo. Even with your influence Jules doesn't love her in that way and would balk at the idea. There are two who would treat Peri with the love and respect of a wife alongside Josh and could be his Oracle."

Romey said nothing staring at his mother as understanding dawned. "There has been another Oracle since Christo died, and they have not put aside their wife. Obviously, the relationship between them is flexible enough to counter this," he said. "We have lived most of our lives without a true Oracle."

"No, you haven't. I loved Christo, and no one could replace the love I felt for him, but there has always been an Oracle, and you will realise that if you think about it," she smiled. "You who is so unbelievably clever have been too cold and calculating and not seen the love that holds this family together. You see only the business, and that is your biggest downfall because, without the love to bind us all together, we cease to be a family. Do you understand now, why it must be this way?"

"You decided who the next chair would be?" Romey accused. He could admit that most of what his mother had said were the truth, but his whole life had been based on the strength of the tables and the men who ruled them. To think of his mother as the leader of the table went against everything he knew about his family and to think of Peri as that leader made him feel betrayed.

"No, dear, I lead the family not the table or the business in anyway," Antonia shook her head. "I can only make recommendations based on your wives. Three of whom could have become the mother." Andreas came to stand with her then and placed his hand on her shoulder.

"We sat down prepared to argue over who was best suited to each position, but we were done within an hour because the choices were obvious. You all have particular strength and weaknesses, and the only issue that arose was over Ben because he is poised well for several positions. From the beginning of deliberations we each chose Josh to take the chair, it was unanimous," Andreas explained and took a seat beside Josh.

xelliebabex
xelliebabex
5,527 Followers