The Twelve Tables Ch. 24

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Armageddon?" Carmen asked as if it was a trivia contest now.

"Yes! I can't remember the name of it, but you know the song I mean right?" Peri enthused.

"I guess we could ask the band if they have a playlist," she suggested

"That's a great idea," Peri said. "It's been an awful day, but it would be nice to bring in the new year on a happy note don't you think?"

"It would be good to bring in the new year on a cheerful note," Carmen agreed slowly as if she didn't want to agree with Peri.

"What are you two ladies planning over here?" Zita said approaching them with a smile.

"Carmen has such a lovely voice that I thought if I could convince her to sing with the band it might cheer everyone up. Maybe even inspire some karaoke? Like we do at Christmas, sort of, but just some fun end of the year type songs." Peri said trying to draw the older woman into the conversation.

"It's a good idea, I'm just not sure this is what Antonia and Joseph would want after a memorial for Nik," Carmen said sadly.

"Nonsense my dear, life is for the living," Zita said with a smile. "I would enjoy that. We oldies didn't get the chance to sing at Christmas time. What can this band play?"

"I thought we could ask them for a playlist," Carmen said quickly before Peri could take full credit for the idea.

"Excellent let's get this party started, and if they don't like it, you can blame me," Zita laughed. "Why don't we go and see the band leader about that playlist."

"That's not necessary, Peri and I were going to go and check with Antonia and Joseph first. I'm not sure how much of a party they would want after today," Carmen said carefully.

"If you think it's necessary we'll follow your lead won't we Peri," Zita said cheerfully.

"Of course," Peri nodded. "It would be nice to bring in the new year with some cheer. I'm sure Mama and Papa will feel the same. Will we ask together or would you like just one of us to go over?"

"I'll go," Carmen said quickly.

"We can all go, there's strength in numbers," Zita suggested.

Approaching Antonia, Peri hung back a little letting Carmen take the lead and was surprised when she turned to her suddenly looking worried.

"Mama," Peri said getting Antonia's attention. "I was wondering since we have the band here if it might not be nice for some of those with good voices to do a few songs to liven up the party a little. It's been a sad day, but we have so much to be thankful for this year, and it would be nice to bring the new year in on a happy note. Carmen has such a lovely voice, I suggested it to her first thinking she might break the ice with everyone."

"That's a lovely idea," Antonia smiled.

"I thought we could ask the band for a playlist and maybe pass it around a bit like karaoke without the tacky screens," Carmen joined the conversation seeing Antonia agree to the suggestion.

"Perhaps you and Papa might like to sing this time too?" Peri asked. "I am sure your children get their gift from their parents."

"You don't have to ask me twice," Zita laughed, "We could do a duet, Antonia.

"We'll see," she laughed and shook her head in the negative as if saying no. "It's a lovely idea why don't you go and see the band leader and get the playlist," she said to Carmen.

It was about twenty minutes later when Carmen came back circulating a few sheets of paper with the band's song list on them. Peri noted both the murmurs of approval from the family and groans from those who were reluctant singers.

"Ah my boy, don't groan," Manuel chuckled to his son. "They can play Stars, and you and your cousins can repeat the Christmas performance so your wife can hear how good you sound when you aren't in the shower."

Lorenzo scowled at his father as his wife grinned widely nodding enthusiastically. "That would be so cool this is the first time I have been out of the house for weeks. First, I meet all these wonderful cousins and family, and now I find out you can sing as well? This is going to be a great party!" Margarite laughed.

"Alright men let's get this over with," Lorenzo grumbled.

"I need a few more drinks before we attempt that again," Dino laughed. "Let's just build the anticipation a bit more. Let the stars of the family take the lead," he nodded in Josh's direction.

"Nah, he only sings Christmas carols," Ben shook his head. "It's expected during the Christmas concert, but we've never been able to get him to sing any other time."

"Sounds like a challenge," Lorenzo grinned. "If I have to sing then he should too. I think I will go have a word with that wonderful little wife of his."

"I imagine Ang will want to take bets on whether he will sing or not," Ben chuckled. "I think I might get in early while the odds are still good." He got to his feet and walked in the direction of his older brother.

Peri listened to the conversations around her as she looked over the list. She was pleased with the wide variety of music the band played. She assumed they did weddings, as well as nights like this as she smiled at some of the song choices. She looked up as Carmen came back to where she stood.

"What are you going to start with Carmen?" Peri asked cheerfully. She was trying very hard to befriend this woman in the hopes that things would work themselves out as Zita had said. She could tell though that Carmen was not going to make it easy for her.

"I thought since this was your idea we could sing something together," Carmen said sweetly. Peri knew she would sound like a drowned cat next to Carmen and her beautiful voice and considered if this was her way of showing her superiority.

"What did you have in mind?" Peri asked.

"We could do that song that you planned to do with Josh at Christmas, that you let Arianna sing," she suggested. "Seeing as you know it so well now."

"I guess but I was hoping for something a little more upbeat, and I am not sure I am a strong enough singer to be able to sing that one with you," Peri admitted.

"It will be fine if you can sing it with Josh you can sing it with me," Carmen said sweetly. "I think it will be nice to start a bit slower with the sombre mood and gradually build up to the party songs. It will be a good ice breaker."

"Ah, there you are," Lorenzo smiled and took a seat beside them.

"Hello Larry," Peri said returning his smile.

"Dad's trying to convince me and the boys to redo our Christmas song so Margarite can hear it and I thought it would be nice for you and Josh to sing that song you gave Arianna. You know as the future leaders it would be good to see the two of you get up there together, and I know Margarite would love it," he said earnestly.

"I was just telling Peri she should sing that with me, it was originally sung by two women," Carmen said.

"Still, I think it would be good to see Peri and Josh up there together don't you think?" Lorenzo asked not noticing the tension in Carmen's face.

"The video that went with it is such a good way to remember the year and move on. So many highs and lows. All the children's successes. I'm sure CJ has it on a server somewhere and could hook something up," Carmen insisted. "Josh never got to see it the first time because he was singing with Arianna.

"Alright as long as they do a song together after that," Lorenzo insisted.

"I guess," Peri agreed feeling the weight of the argument. "I'd rather not have the video though it was very sad and I was hoping to raise the mood a little with the singing."

"Well you don't want to be singing I'm Happy after a day like today, do you?" Carmen asked in an accusing tone. "You need to work up to that if you do plan to sing it." She added with a disapproving tone.

"I wouldn't have done that," Peri said quietly and stopped herself from arguing once again that she cared about Nik and what had happened to her. Admittedly most of her care and concern came more from her worry for Josh and Dante than for herself, but she had never wished her harm regardless of what she had done.

"Steady on, Carmen," Lorenzo frowned. "Peri was just suggesting we try to bring in the new year on a better note than the way we are leaving it. Which is for the best, I have to agree. It's been a rocky year." He turned to Peri then. "I understand your feelings, but the video is a good way to say goodbye to all the ups and downs and try to concentrate on the good things that happened this year."

Lorenzo had taken what he had learned that afternoon to heart and knew that it was important for this family to come together for healing and celebration. While he grew up outside of the immediate pressures of the inheritance, his cousins faced, his father had been preparing him to take a seat on the table. He'd grown up with the knowledge and understanding of what was involved in being part of the Donati family table. He had seen the pressures on his father show from time to time, but it was only now that he realised the seriousness of the work of the table within, not only local, but wider affairs. He waved CJ over and told him to organise the video.

"I'm still not sure this is the best song to start with, people cried at the Christmas concert," Peri said quietly. "Maybe Josh should sing with Carmen."

"I'll take full responsibility," Lorenzo said. "I think it would be nice for Margarite too see it. She's so new to the family, and I promise I will sing though I am sure no one will thank either of us for that," he chuckled. "Maybe I can get Josh to sing with me and make me sound better," he said considering the idea and remembering that getting Josh to sing to had been the main reason he had come to talk to Peri in the first place. "I'll let you know when CJ is set up, if you want to cue the band up for it." He stood and walked away.

"What are the odds?" Lorenzo asked walking past Ben and Ang.

"A hundred to one. No one has ever convinced him before, your chances aren't good," Ang laughed shaking his head.

"I'll back myself at those odds, put me down for a hundred," he chuckled with a wink and went to talk with Dante and Josh. Then he went to talk to his father until CJ was set up.

Fifteen minutes later Lorenzo stood in front of the band and tapped the microphone to get everyone's attention.

"It's only natural that the Master of Ceremonies role should fall to me. I may not be the most handsome or talented man in the room, but I'm possibly the most used to being up on the podium and making speeches," he chuckled and paused as his cousins heckled him about his racing career and winner's speeches.

"The band has kept the mood mellow on hearing of the tragedy of our loss. Many of you were not at Antonia and Joseph's Christmas concert, and you may be surprised that we have so many talented people in the room," he looked around at his cousins and siblings. All of his generation had stayed for the party and the first chance to welcome those that would inherit their positions on the table formally in the new year.

"The band has graciously consented to let some of us sing with them, sight unseen. For those who were fortunate enough to see Arianna take to the stage in her first family performance, I'm sure you won't be disappointed to know that I have asked Peri to fill in for her. Also because Josh had been singing and missed the video that went with the song, Carmen will stand in for him. I think one song truly summed up the year that was, so to start the evening and to look back over the lives of some of those closest to us, "When you believe."

Carmen's voice was strong and loud, and Peri knew hers sounded weak and totally unsuited to the power ballad as she came in on her part. Toward the end, she was grateful that the few singers with the band came in when the choir would have in the original song making her part carry stronger with Carmen's warbling harmony. She had been concentrating so hard on not messing up the lyrics that the audience reaction to the song hadn't registered in her mind until they came to the end and she saw people wiping their eyes between quiet applause.

"You're welcome," Lorenzo cleared his throat as he came back to the microphone. "Just to push my luck a little further I've also requested this next number. It's one of Margarite's favourites since she saw a cover of it on one of those reality singing shows. To sing the Brother Three version I'm going to need a little help though so Margarite you're going to have to share this one with Peri for tonight. If you will gentlemen?" He grinned widely at Angelo and Ben as Josh and Dante joined him in front of the band.

The three-part harmony developed as a cover to Taylor Swift's song Safe and Sound sounded beautiful as the three men occasionally checked the screen behind them where CJ had put up a clip of the words from YouTube. As the song came to an end, Lorenzo stepped back up to the microphone and gave the two men time to take their seats.

"That's the ball rolling, and enough from me so let's let the band liven this place up a little and make it more of a party to celebrate that we are all here together, and ready start the next year on a lighter note. Who's next?" He encouraged his audience to step up.

"That was beautiful," Peri smiled up at Josh and Dante as they returned to the table where she had sat with Margarite to watch them.

"I'm feeling a little left out," Margarite giggled as both men kissed Peri, making them laugh. Dante turned and kissed her cheek as Josh took a seat.

"I think I'll leave a little of that for your husband," Josh chuckled.

"Spoilsport," she continued to giggle. Lorenzo came back to the table and accepted a kiss from her, as his mother got up with Zita and began to sing, 'That's What Friends Are For,' with stunning voices that had all of their children paying attention.

The mood of the night picked up considerably as requests were made of the band between songs performed by the family members. The wine flowed, and the food was served making it more of a party atmosphere and Peri happily sat back enjoying being with the whole family, for what would perhaps be one of the few times that they would all come together like this, where they could just relax and enjoy each other's company.

The christening was only a few months away, but others would be invited to that event, and the children and their nannies would be there to add to the chaos of belonging to such a large family. Tonight everyone seemed able to relax, and while the mood was not exactly buoyant, they seemed happy. Carmen particularly was in her element with people praising her singing and what a good idea it had been to get the family involved in the entertainment.

Peri realised in her attempt to build a bridge with Carmen and try to extend the hand of friendship, she had unwittingly given the woman the upper hand. She wasn't about to sound like a petulant child running around telling everyone that the singing had been her idea, but she didn't like that Carmen was taking all of the credit for the success of the evening, when the real credit lay with Antonia and her sisters-in-law. She decided to go and thank Antonia for all her hard work on a day when she must have least felt like a party of this size.

Peri stood beside Antonia at the full table where she sat and smiled at everyone. "This is such a good night. I just wanted to say thank you, the catering was superb, and the band has been so good letting the family sing with them."

"It was a good idea to get everyone up and to sing. You did a wonderful job on that first song, it's a shame you didn't sing it with Josh at Christmas," Antonia said.

"I can barely hold a tune compared to either Carmen or Josh. Even Arianna outshone me," Peri laughed. "I have no illusions about my singing ability."

"Nonsense you were perfectly lovely tonight," Zita said. When she had told Antonia that Peri had her full support she had meant it.

"I think I'd still like to hear the two of you sing together," Antonia said looking around. "Where is Joshua?"

"He and Dante were having fun telling some tall stories to the cousins they hadn't seen for a while," she pointed to the table where they sat with several other men laughing loudly. "Every time I turn around there is a new family member to meet. It's a lot of fun trying to keep all the names straight with Josh and Dante playing silly games and telling me nicknames," she said with a smile.

"I'm not sure Dante has ever been the best influence on his brother," she smiled indulgently spotting the two men regaling their cousins with a story. "I almost died when he taught Josh to drive and told him the most important thing when driving was his music selection," she shook her head making Peri laugh with her.

"They complement each other, rather than influence I think, but I understand what you mean about their driving," Peri rolled her eyes. "It came in handy when I was in labour, though," she tried to put a positive spin on it.

"Still, perhaps we should separate them for a few minutes. Can you ask Joshua to come and see me for a moment?" Antonia asked.

"Of course," Peri said before pausing for a minute. "I'd rather leave the singing to those with better voices than mine if that's okay," she laughed and walked toward the table where Dante and Josh sat.

"Mama thinks you two trouble makers need to be separated," Peri said with a cheeky grin as she stood between the two men she loved.

"So she sent you to stand between us like a cheeky monkey?" Dante laughed looking up at her.

"No she sent me to ask Josh to join her for a few minutes," Peri said seriously.

"I won't keep her waiting then," he chuckled and stood to kiss her gently and moved off toward his mother allowing Peri to sit in his seat at the table. Dante reached out and took her hand looking at her critically.

"Everything, good?" he asked.

"Yeah, it's a lovely night everyone seems so happy and relaxed now," she said with a soft smile.

"Life goes on and the New year is about to begin. Making a resolution this year?" Dante asked.

"Oh didn't I tell you? I'm giving up sex this year," she said with a perfectly straight face. She watched a slow smile spread across his face.

"I see," he replied in a deceptively mild tone. "In that case, perhaps we should sneak off for a little while before midnight strikes. Just to remind you of what you would be giving up."

"We can't leave now! Everyone will notice," Peri laughed.

"So?" he leaned over and kissed her lightly. "It's not like our relationship is a secret with this crowd." He stood pulling her up beside him. "Just a few minutes, no one will even know we were gone," he whispered and wrapped an arm around her waist guiding her through the room.

The ballroom was part of the huge precinct that housed the House of Lorraine and all of its warehouses and buildings including the high-rise that was their home. Dante knew his way around well and took her through a small side door that connected to a series of rooms available to guests and performers who might hire the ballroom for the night. He pulled her into one of the furthest rooms from the door and smiled as he turned on a dim floor lamp.

"Now about that resolution," he said with a slight growl to his voice. He began to unbutton the long leather vest he wore.

"Dante I still have to be here for a couple of hours. I can't be looking like I just rolled out of your bed," she said reasonably.

"I have no intention of messing up your makeup or hair," he said bending slightly to kiss her deeply. "Well, not much anyway. A little relief though after watching you almost spill out of the top of this dress all evening is called for, though," he pressed up against her.

"Right now?" She asked breathlessly.

"Yes right now," he looked down into her eyes. "You and Josh have had over a year of living and sleeping together whereas I am still in the honeymoon phase. I want you right now, and again after that and anytime I can steal you away for a few minutes alone." He slid his hand up her leg lifting her long gown.