The Very Best of Friends

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The woman's dominating presence reminded her of Melanie, and she wondered if she was back from her filming yet. Maybe if she talked to Melanie about how she was feeling about this whole get in shape thing and the clothes she needed she could make it seem better somehow. She always had a way of making her feel better. She quickly tried on the range of bras and tops she had been given and chose two of the longer versions and the pants that she had on plus a similar pair before she changed back into her work clothes. She paid for her purchases and taking the extra time she went into a nearly intimate apparel shop and looked at the thongs and G-strings.

"Looking for something in particular," a vivacious young shop assistant came toward her.

"Something discrete to wear under lycra yoga pants," Joanna laughed.

"Those are good, but you can still see them," she said indicating the rack of thongs Joanna was looking at. "What I wear is the new wonder wear, it's good for extra support, and it looks great under jeans and pants as well," she walked over to a different rack. "They have the seamless bras as well, which for women like us is a plus," she smiled and puffed out her large bosom.

"Do you want to try some on to see how comfortable they are?" she asked.

"I don't have time," Joanna looked at her watch as if that reinforced her words. "I might just take the chance and get a set," she started to look through the rack and pulled out two pairs of underwear and a bra.

The woman looked at her and frowned then tactfully suggested that she might want a snug fit if she was going to wear them under exercise wear and maybe going down a size was a good idea. She explained the exchange policy just in case Joanna needed to exchange them and offered a complimentary bra fitting to ensure she got the exact size she needed next time.

Joanna raced back to work dumping the bags next to her desk and took a deep breath before restarting her computer and getting back into the work she needed to get done before the weekend. Brittney had followed her into the back office and eyed the bags suspiciously.

"Whose birthday is it?" She asked.

"Did I forget someone's birthday?" Joanna asked and immediately checked her diary for a co-workers birthday reminder.

"Sportswear and intimate apparel? I'm assuming they are presents for someone because you're a little old and out of shape for both of those, aren't you?" Brittney said as a statement of fact not to be insulting.

"My friends talked me into this boot camp thing," Joanna confessed rather than laughing it off like she normally did. "The trainer told me I needed yoga pants then the woman who sold them to me told me I needed a thong, and then the underwear sales girl told me I needed wonder wear, and honestly," she looked up at the young woman. "I have no idea if I need or want any of it, but there it is."

"Seriously? That's awesome!" Brittney bubbled. "I've always thought you needed a makeover. You can't possibly be as old as you look. You should go on one of those six-week change challenges. Every week pick something to change about yourself, just little things, but they all add up over six weeks to make a huge impact. I'll even do it with you if you like," she exclaimed enthusiastically.

"Brittney I'm too old for a change challenge, and I am only doing this because my friends bullied me into it," Joana sighed but had only been thinking about a makeover that morning.

"Oh come on it will be fun, we'll spend a couple of hours together outside work once a week, I promise only small changes. You know, like some new work clothes, a new hairstyle maybe or some new shoes," she looked down at Joanna's feet under the desk and pulled a face. "Please, please, please, please, my mother won't even consider trying something new. Her style isn't even retro it's more like relics." She said dramatically. "I've been dying to do this with someone old. It'll be fun, I promise!"

"Twenty-four hours ago everyone just ignored me, and that worked for me," Joanna sighed and looked up at Brittney as her enthusiasm began to turn to disappointment. "Okay fine, but I don't want to end up as mutton dressed as lamb."

"Yay!" Brittney clapped. "Let's have lunch together on Monday, and we can work out what we want to do." She walked back out to reception leaving Joanna to try and concentrate on her work.

Joanna was seriously looking forward to going home and curling up with a book for the weekend. She wasn't sure if next week was going to be a challenge or a gruelling trial on several levels. As she thought about it, Matt and the kiss he had given her fluttered into her mind again. She wished Melanie was back so she could talk to her about everything that had happened this week.

*****

Joanna was one of those people that didn't need to have constant company. She never felt lonely or bored. There was always something to keep her busy, and her mind occupied. After a week where she felt like her world had been turned upside down she had needed a quiet weekend to recharge her batteries and prepare for the week ahead. She had done a very quick grocery shop on her way home on Friday afternoon so she wouldn't have to leave the house at all for the full two days.

Sunday afternoon she was sitting on the back patio with a cool glass of wine and the book she was enjoying when she heard her front door open and close. Only two people had a key to her home, Justin, who was up north in heaven with Tom and Melanie, who she hadn't heard from since she left for a shoot on location on Monday night.

"Hello?" she called back into the house.

"You know if you answered your phone I wouldn't have to come all the way over here and break in like a bandit just to see you," Melanie called back as she walked through the house to the kitchen and put the phone back on the hook.

"I just needed some time to think and be by myself. You have no idea what it was like for me this week," Joanna picked up her glass of wine and walked back into the kitchen where Melanie handed Joanna her mobile phone after turning it on. Then she had opened the refrigerator and inspected the contents as she put two new bottles of wine in and pulled out the open bottle of wine before speaking again.

"Alright so tell me about it because I've heard everyone else's versions," she laughed filling up a glass. "Have we got any nibbles to go with this?"

"On the patio," Joanna said unsure of what Melanie had been told. "So what have you heard?"

"Let's see. Well, Carla's version is simply that you have successfully transitioned into a cougar and seduced the hot trainer before she could sink her claws into him. She didn't seem very happy about that even though she said it was about time you got back on the horse," Melanie gave her a sly smile and waited for her to protest her innocence.

"People believe what they want to believe," Joanna shrugged neither confirming or denying the story knowing Melanie wouldn't have come before talking to Joanna as well.

"Joanna seems to think it might have been a bit of a joke but," she paused to sip her drink. "They both say he kissed you goodbye in a way was totally inappropriate for a trainer and client relationship."

"I see," Joanna still said nothing knowing it would drive her friend insane. "So you're up to date then. How was the shoot you've been at all week?"

"Well, I did get to kiss two hot young guys, as well as an older man," she admitted. "So I guess if you tell me yours I'll tell you mine," she gave her a slow, sly smile again.

"It's a long story," Joanna tried to dismiss the kiss with a wave of her hand.

"I've got the time. I'm not working tomorrow. Did I mention I was staying at your place this week? I dropped my bags into the spare room as I came in." Melanie took advantage of the open invitation and key she had to her friend's little bayside bungalow. "I've always liked your place much better than mine, and there's a bit of a media blitz at the moment since I snogged a mega rich guy for the fun of it. How was I supposed to know he was some eccentric billionaire that was chairing some Greenpeace conference up there?"

"Oh God. Tequila?" Joanna asked, knowing tequila was often the reason for her friend's bad decisions.

"Probably, I'm a little foggy on that part," Melanie admitted.

"Well I have to work tomorrow, and when I get around to checking my email, I am half expecting we will have boot camp in the morning," Joanna sighed.

"No one is that cruel that they would do that to us on a Monday morning surely," Melanie became indignant. "I'm not going if it is on, regardless. So tell me this long story."

Joanna recalled the story of how horrible she had felt when she showed up at Joanna's and how things had swiftly spiralled out of control. Then of Matt arriving at work and taking her for lunch. She explained how comfortable she was with him and that they talked about their lives and friends while she got the baseline data done. Then how he had stayed just to explain that she had caved in and joined the boot camp torture after all and how he had kissed her as a joke to make them wonder what was going on.

"Well points for him then, he was totally professional with Tricia and me," Melanie said. "He asked what we did for exercise and what we were comfortable with. He was nice but it was all business," she seemed to think about this. "So did you hold up your end of the bargain?"

"Yes I went shopping yesterday, and it was a nightmare," Joanna groaned. "On top of that when I got back to work Brittney saw all my shopping and pushed me into agreeing to a makeover, but she called it a change challenge I think to soften the blow."

"Darling I love you to death but let's face it you haven't bought anything new since Justin left home and stopped taking you shopping. That boy always had impeccable taste," she smiled. "You could use someone young to challenge you again."

"My world has spun way out of control this week," she shook her head.

"It's for a good reason, though," Melanie reached over and touched her arm. "The two young men I kissed were Justin and Tom. They want you at the wedding so badly. They want you to be part of their lives and to be comfortable enough to go up and visit them on their island. All of this upheaval you're feeling right now is for a good reason not just because people are being mean all of a sudden. It all started with you wanting to be there for Justin."

"You saw Justin and Tom?" Joanna's face lit up and she placed her hand over Melanie's where it rested on her arm.

"I even took photos to show you," Melanie picked up her phone. She scrolled through and handed the phone to Joanna. "Speaking of being challenged I promised to get you there even if that meant I had to come with you."

"You'd come with me? Birthday suit and all?" Joanna looked up from the phone unbelievingly. Her friendship with Melanie had survived so long because she could be anonymous here and sure of her privacy no matter what happened, her fame was never a barrier to doing the normal things in life here on the bay with her friend. "What if the media find out?"

"Who's going to tell them? You? No one else knows I've invited besides Justin and Tom, and I trust them," she said seriously. "I will get you there, but I am glad you have started the whole change challenge thing on your own. Now I can sit back and just be the cheer squad like you always have been for me."

They talked their way through the rest of the original bottle of wine and decided to have a last splurge on pizza before beginning the three-month challenge between now and the wedding. After ordering the pizza delivery online, Joanna checked her email and found three from Matt.

The first email was to the whole group detailing a schedule of one session a day. Monday and Wednesday afternoons at the park near where she worked and Tuesday and Thursday mornings at Joanna's house on the river. Also, he had put a Saturday morning session time and place to be decided. His notes included that he expected each of them to try and make at least three sessions a week but could do a make-up session on a Friday afternoon for those who found it difficult to make the weekday sessions due to other commitments.

The second email had detailed her personal plan and had suggested that she try to attend all of the sessions due to the time frame of her son's wedding. There was a small note that he was happy to help her with her nutrition if she was uncomfortable in seeking Kylie's advice after their talk. Both of those emails had been sent that morning. She looked at the third email and saw that it had been sent Friday evening.

"Dear Joanna," she read. "I called to apologise if I overstepped the mark last night when your friends arrived. Your phone doesn't seem to be working, so I am hoping you are at least checking your email tonight. I enjoyed getting to know you yesterday and thought that you would get as big of a kick out of the kiss in front of your friends as I did. I look forward to seeing you on Monday in yoga pants. Matt."

"More points for Matt," Melanie said from her position where she had been reading over Joanna's shoulder. "I think I better check out what you bought now and make sure they don't perpetuate this frumpy middle-aged woman thing you've had going on for the last few years."

"I am a frumpy middle-aged woman," Joanna laughed. "There's no getting around that, my age is on my driver's license."

"So's mine but you wouldn't catch me dressing like one," Melanie laughed with her. "Come on show me, you know I will just go and see for myself anyway. It's probably better that I don't go rummaging in your room on my own and find your secret stash of sex toys or something."

They spent the rest of the night drinking wine and eating pizza and talking about the three-month challenge Joanna had set herself, or been pushed into depending on whose version of events you listened to. She protested the fact that she had set it for herself and Melanie had promised to be on the journey with her as she wasn't one hundred percent confident going nude without the movie magic tricks and airbrushing that would accompany her screen appearances and still shots.

Once again Melanie had made Joanna feel good about the changes going on in her life and even look forward to the challenge in a strange way. She loved her more than a sister and she was glad she was prepared to go on the journey to public nudity with her. While she was happy to be back in touch with the other women who had been her school friends, it was Melanie that she had remained close friends with for over thirty years, and she treasured the fact that she had her in her life.

*****

Joanna had difficulty getting out of bed the following morning, and she envied the still sleeping Melanie as she left for work. When Brittney had talked to her about the challenge, she had embraced the young woman's bubbly enthusiasm. She'd never had a daughter to share these kinds of experiences with, and she hoped to impart some of her wisdom with the young woman as they got to know each other better. She was a nice girl with a big heart but totally clueless about how to interact with the older generation or that some of the things she said were quite offensive at times even though she didn't mean them the way they sounded.

She'd worn a loose skirt and blouse in the hopes that she could change before she left work and wear the active wear under her normal clothes until she got to the park rather than having the people in the office seeing her half undressed. Or at least that's how she felt when she wore the tight-fitting pants and long clinging shirt. Lycra was definitely not in her comfort zone, at least not yet anyway.

Melanie arrived as the business was closing to meet Joanna and ran into the bubbly Brittney. "I'm here to pick up Joanna if she's ready," she said in a quiet voice that bordered on a stage whisper.

"Sure do you want to look around the showroom while you wait or would you like me to show you through to her office?" Brittney offered, looking the woman over. "You know you look just like Melanie Rush," Brittney said. "The resemblance is uncanny. You could get a job as one of those look-alikes," she advised.

"Gosh I would love to look that good at her age," Melanie said aghast. "You realise she's almost fifty! It's amazing how good she looks on camera," she gave a small soft laugh.

"She is? Wow," Brittney looked seriously stunned. "I wouldn't have thought she was that old." Her brow creased as she thought about it. "I'll let Joanna know you're here," she turned and led the way into the back office. "Your friend Lainie is here," she announced walking into the back office where Joanna finished up for the day.

"Lainie!" Joanna said in surprise at both the sight of her friend and the name she used.

"I came to make sure you were going to boot camp, but you don't look ready to me," Melanie said.

"I'm ready," Joanna said and flashed her yoga pants by hitching her skirt up slightly. "I can't exactly wear this stuff on its own here at work."

"Okay, well let's go then, and see who else shows up," Melanie said with a grin. The two women farewelled Brittney and walked out to their separate cars.

They arrived at the park, and Joanna quickly stripped off her work clothes and picked up the program he had set for her, a towel and a water bottle from the back seat of her car. Feeling awkward she held her hands and the items in front of her like a shield as she walked over to where Melanie now stood with some of the other girls.

"Shit! Were we supposed to bring our plans?" Donna asked as she saw Joanna approaching them.

"Don't ask me I've never done this before," Joanna said. "I didn't know what to bring so I brought everything I could think of."

"She was always over prepared, like a girl guide or boy scout or whatever," Melanie laughed.

They all looked up as Matt jogged over to them. "I love the short track in this park," he said. We'll make that covered table over there our home base in the afternoons," he pointed to a picnic table within a hut like structure except without the walls. "Come on over and we'll get you all started with some stretches anyone running late can catch up," he instructed with a smile and turned to jog off in the direction of the hut.

The site he had chosen was at the front of the big park near the carpark and seemed a fairly safe place to leave their towels and water bottles. "I'll look after your keys he offered picking up a small backpack and opening it before holding it out to take their keys then he put it on his back where it rested snugly between his shoulder blades.

The five women who had been on time began a series of stretches to warm up and were almost done when Carla arrived making her apologies. Matt sent the other women on a run along the short track giving them specific directions and saying if they felt it was too much just to walk the last half. Then he turned to take Carla's keys and begin her warm up stretches.

Kylie ran on ahead with Donna trying to keep up while Elizabeth hung back with Melanie and Joanna, who jogged slowly and slowed to a walk fairly quickly. They heard the footfalls behind them and began to jog a minute again before Matt came into their view leading the puffing Carla, who did not look like she was handling the pace at all.

"Come on Ladies or we'll be here all night," he said and jogged past them.

"Bastard isn't even out of breath," Carla muttered catching up to them and slowing to their speed. "That'll teach me for being late. Nice view from here, though," she grinned watching him jog ahead of them.

Joanna found that with her friends there grumbling and seeming to struggle more than she did that she didn't hate boot camp nearly as much as she thought she would. In fact, she didn't hate it at all. She found that the outdoor gym equipment was relatively easy to use once it had been explained to her what on earth it was used for. She had seen outdoor gym equipment before alongside the children's play equipment and had wondered what purpose it could hold.