All Comments on 'The Worst Week of My Life'

by ohio

Sort by:
  • 432 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
stupid

ah yes, stupidity on top of stupidity - he was hurt for x many days, so now she will be hurt too. tit for tat.

this marraige is heading for the toilet. he shoulda insisted on marraige couseling instead, for the reconcilliation. dumb.

Kanga40Kanga40over 18 years ago
Too clever by half - I think

The marriage was in the toilet as soon as the wife lied to her husband about something this important.

And the smart arse ending about him going out on a date means what?

What sort of dumb crap is he pulling now?

Great story until he got in the shower..... Then the great brain fart occured and the story died. All the good work before it became pointless.

It's a real shame to get to the end of a well written story and have to say to yourself "What the fuck was all that shit about"

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
Just one thing. (Isn't there always?)

He never asked and she didn't volunteer an explaination... Why did she lie? What possible negative could have resulted from him knowing all about the reconcilliation? He did ask and wonder why about quite a few other things but not this really basic one. Why didn't he ask? Plot device or something else? Another is why Lucy's mother was in on the whole thing.

Maybe it's just me but the worst part of infidelity is not the sex, it's the lying. Who would want to stay in any kind of relationship where someone you trust deceives you? Business, friendship, family... lying and then lying about the lying will destroy those faster than anything. I can imagine staying (maybe) with a wife who cheated, sans lies but not with a business partner who lies.

Seems strange that he decided to accept the testimony of his lying wife and her co-conspiriator and discount the evidence of his own eyes. ("Who ya gonna believe? Me or your lying eyes?") The PJ description is certainly not conclusive. If he could think to ask it then the women could certainly anticipate it. Of course if Susan really is back with Stan that makes the story more believable. But still... why lie???

There's something interesting about a story told strictly in first person. The reader knows nothing more than what that person experiences first hand. That makes it possible for the reader to come to a different conclusion. In this case I sure do.

This author is one of my favorites.

Xman72357Xman72357over 18 years ago
Great Story

I hope the sequel is just as good can hardly wait for it.

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
It was clever...

But I have to agree with the too clever by half comment. Everything lines up too neatly to be plausible, esp. the wife acting indignant days after he's left her. That seems like something forced by the author to keep the plot going in the story, but there's no explanation why that would plausibly happen in real life. With days and days to ponder the issue, she would have to be severely mentally challenged not to see he had good reason to suspect things.

Still, much better than most of the same ol' same ol'.

Nightowl22Nightowl22over 18 years ago
A little different

I can't imagine why Susan lied. But it sure looks like she did! Their stories are identical; like reading them from a piece of paper. And it looks like he is sure she lied. And he intends to let the wife stew about it.

Or he just intends to give the wife a hard time simply because she lied to him.

Would help to have had SOME idea of what kind of date he is talking about and/or with whom.

DG HearDG Hearover 18 years ago
good one Ohio

Another Good one Ohio.

DG Hear

SalamisSalamisover 18 years ago
Very well done!

What an enjoyable story! Lucy obviously did not quite comprehend that her lying, even if in the service of a good cause, was not an acceptable way to relate to her husband. Of course, I can understand her rationale. Bob dislikes Stan and has ‘told’ her to stay out of her best friends marital dispute. It’s a perfect set up for the story.

Even after this misunderstanding has been explained, and to me it was obvious that it would be since I doubted her mother would assist her daughter in having an affair; Lucy still does not understand the gravity of her actions. So to have the story conclude the way it did was very fitting in my opinion.

cageyteecageyteeover 18 years ago
A cleverly constructed story!

A cleverly constructed story Ohio! I enjoyed reading it as I do with all your stories.

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
Who ya gonna believe?

I agree with others that the lies were totally unnecessary and pointless. Lying is just as bad as cheating because, in a way, that is exactly what it is. Some of my problems with your story begin with: She had to buy condoms for the jerk? Really! She had to make the reservations in her name? Really! She had to buy his wife a nightie? Really! She had to hide it at her house? Really! She was willing to share the plan with her mother but not her husband? Really! And the final weakness in your story ... If she was meeting his wife for dinner at the motel, why was Lucy in the room with him on the same night she was supposed to have dinner with his wife? Too many BIG holes in your story to make it plausible. Fanciful thinking does not always translate into good story telling.

PAPATOADPAPATOADover 18 years ago
Neat

I am enjoying just thinking about what else is going on. Thanks for a good read.

capecodmercurycapecodmercuryover 18 years ago
I enjoyed this

Ohio, this was a fun story to read. I agree with the comments that this marriage has a pretty big problem. The lying and the sneaking around in and of itself is a big problem and if the wife doesn't get that point this marriage has a large chance of ending in divorce.

As to whether she did cheat, you left us wondering and that is a good thing. Personally, I'm of the opinion she didn't. The pajama question was cute. Its the type of small detail (including the juice stain) that plotters might not consider. Also, while I can see a mother covering for her daughter in some situations, I don't see a mother covering for an affair.

I would love to see a follow up from her perspective. It would be nice to find out her rationale or find out if there is something going on.

Blue88Blue88over 18 years ago
Well Done

Excellent story - well crafted. Loved the build-up of sexual tension which carried the story. Well written as usual. Looking forward to more.

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
you went over my head

the last sentence flew over my head. why leave the story at that point.there more i hope.

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
What ending?

I liked the story but not the ending. I felt her lying to him was a major problem but with him trying to give her a week of pain is not good. No reconciliation - just more pain, not a way to end this story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
Odd Ending?

Fine until the end, which only makes sense if she really was cheating.

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
She did cheat

Only the sex was missing. The worst part of a cheating spouse is the betrayal. Lucy betrayed with lies. Most people say that they get over the sex part of cheating but the mistrust lingers for ever.

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
Not up to your usual high standards

I agree with others that the ending is terrible. What does he do once he goes out the door and remembers that his car is still at the office? Hopefully he goes on a long walk and reconsiders -- more lies will not make this right. Instead they need counseling, and the mother-in-law better apologize for her part in the lies.

The story is well constructed but not believable. Why would Lucy buy the teddy -- that's the job of the husband trying to reconcile. As for the trojans; any hotel has either a lobby store or a dispenser. Finally, the turning point at the office when Lucy hears who he thought she was cheating with also doesn't make sense. He told her on Thurs that he knew she was cheating. She heard that he knew of more lies. Then he leaves. Did she think he was kidding?

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
Excellent

Had to re-read the last few paragraphs to get the meaning of "Bye, Luce, I have a date".

Was really well done.

Thank you.

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
Excellent But

what is this ending? This story's title doesn't say Chapter One. And this is not a Hitchcock ending (Alfred Hitchcock, for those not familiar w/his long ago TV show). This ending comes out of left field without a clue to what's going on.

I did enjoy all the tight plotting, though the criticism of being too clever has validity. Writing these stories isn't easy---the plot, the emotional context, trying to keep to some semblance of human nature. You did a pretty good job with it.

I hope if there is, and there has to be, a sequel, it will not be a talkathon with emotional splattering of tears and anger and legal feints all over the storyline. Hopefully it will be clever, conclusive and reveal insights to the readers &, hopefully, the characters. However, there is a lot of danger here for that talk fest to begin. If some other evidence is presented that the wife was really cheating, it doesn't seem that revealing that evidence could take up a whole chapter. What will fill the vacuum? Wailing and the gnashing of teeth and lawyer-talk! I hope not. I hope something clever occurs. And "feel good" paragraphs? If the hero does something nice for his wife, it would be good but not dramatic, unless you have a bolt of inspiration to make it sizzle. A sizzling sex scene? Because this is literotica that would be acceptable but you would have to shift emotional context a bit---not that it can't be done, but it will be difficult to get into steamy sex without a lot of heart-baring talk, and heart-baring talk has the danger of being trite and dull for everyone but the two characters involved.

I'm waiting with bated (baited?) breath. What is going to happen? Hopefully we will not have long to wait for the next installment. There has to be a next installment or reduce my vote from 100 to 50.

playingcardcompany

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
Room for imagination

Hi -

I really liked this story - on a number of levels.

The pajamas - hey, it could have been a threesome! She had always been close to her fiend and had a soft spot for the jerk husband. Why not?

Basically the way I read it though is that she put him through a week of emotional trauma with him thinking she was cheating... when she wasn't!

Okay, she apologized, but did she really understand what he had gone through?

Now it's her turn for a week of emotional trauma. Let her go through a week with her thinking he was cheating... when he wasn't!

The car, nothing else means anything, just that he walks out that door leaving her to think... and think... and think!

Maybe, if he's really cute, he can leave some clues around.

Great story!

samissamisover 18 years ago
A tight alibi but..

I was just wondering why the wife was in hotel room when the husband called when she was suppose to be at the resturant eating dinner with her friend?

Risq_001Risq_001over 18 years ago
Aaannnddd your back!

I liked this one pretty well because I wasn't sure how it was going to turn out as I was reading it. The story kept twisting and turning. But I have to admit I'm not sure if I like that I don't know how it ended though.

I was sure at first it was going to be a story about a wife who cheated and a husband who couldn't wait to take her back. Then I was sure it was going to be the story where the husband was wrong and jumped to the wrong conclusions and the wife was innocent. "THEN" I was sure it was going to be the wife, friend, and the friends husband trying to trick the husband into thinking that he was wrong and the husband catches them in lies. Now I'm not sure whats going on.

-Did she cheat and he puzzled it out in the shower?

-Was he just after revenge for her not caring about his feeling and thought he'd do it to her?

-Why would she discuss hiding her plans from her husband with Stan, if it was her husband that was to be kept in the dark? Why did Stan have to know anything but that she was helping him and his wife?

-Why does a grown man need someone to buy him condomns?

-Why did she need to hide her car at the hotel when she was meeting her friend who was expecting her? Her friend didn't know about her husband Stan showing up, but she did expect her. Why that?

I have to admit it "AGAIN" was a twist on a story that I wasn't quite expecting. It seems like someone that is adapt at covering their tracks in the story, but it not really complete till we get a few answers to some questions

^_^)

cloacascloacasover 18 years ago
Nice story

Well done.

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
Tight Storyline

I read this story and I liked it. Then I read the comments and wondered if I had read the same story. We all apply our interpretation of events but some of the ones I have read seem quite cynical and downright hateful.

My interpretation was that the wife DID NOT cheat on her husband. The husband validated all of her assertions and to think otherwise would mean there is in place a 3, possibly 4-person conspiracy to hide an alleged affair. That conspiracy would have to include Susan, Stan, Lucy and perhaps Lucy’s mother. Based upon what was said in the story a conspiracy theory falls apart.

Stan was a blowhard and braggart who was nasty when he drank. However, both Lucy and Bob (reluctantly) agree that Stan loves his wife and kids. Susan has no history of being so underhanded and Bob trusts her more than his own wife in this situation. I also saw no motive for Lucy’s mother being in such a conspiracy. She is fond of Bob. Why would she seek to harm him? Therefore, there is overwhelming evidence that Lucy DID NOT cheat.

Lucy used poor judgment in choosing the welfare of her best friend’s marriage over honesty with her husband. Lucy could have satisifed both her need to help her friends and her requirement for honesty with her husband. So Bob has a right to be upset, but to suggest that this is grounds for divorce is too great a stretch. This couple needs better communications and POSSIBLY counseling. I’d ask why Lucy sought to go to such an extreme length to avoid an argument with Bob about involving herself in Susan and Stan’s marriage. Perhaps Bob isn’t an easy guy to talk with if the subject is Stan.

As for the ending, Bob is obviously seeking retaliation against his wife. He was lost without her when they were apart; there was no mention of flirting or potential girlfriends at that time. So claiming he is going on a ‘date’ is a lie designed to cause his wife a degree of discomfort. I think his actions are a bit childish but that fits Bob’s personality as written.

I know that some folks have problems with Lucy getting the negligee and condoms for Susan and Stan but I don’t see any issues with that. Susan explained both items away thus letting Lucy off the hook.

Did Lucy exercise poor judgment in what she did? Definitely. Was it, or should have been forgivable in my judgment? Definitely.

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
Bad ending

I always like your stories. The husband is a fanatic. And this sorry ending. I'm sorry but this one didn't make any sense.

the Troubadorthe Troubadorover 18 years ago
Up until that last line, I thought this guy had

some smarts. But that, "...on a date..." bit blew the whole thing up. This family is within an eye dropper of dissolution.

gizzmo301gizzmo301over 18 years ago
Great story

this one of those read reread storys love it love the ones thatg take some time to figure out

SLC-OhioSLC-Ohioover 18 years ago
Too repititous

Every one of the author's items of proof is written and rewritten and discussed too many times. Without those redundencies, this would have been a much easier read. The story was too long, it should have been edited and condensed.

The ending? More loose ends. How's he going to go on this date? Didn't Susan drop him off? Where's his car?

My point is that the 'paint by numbers' style of putting the pieces together was not effective.

But thanks to the author for his effort.

z00timez00timeover 18 years ago
WE DEmand!!!

Us readers that can't resolve open ended stories DEMAND that you resolve out questions. YOU WILL WRITE MORE OF THE LUCY/BOB fiasco(please).

Another good one!

thebulletthebulletover 18 years ago
Predictable, dumb wife, but I liked it anyway

Roger Ebert has laws about the economy of charactarization or something like that. One of them is: If a major character in a movie coughs, he/she is going to die. I saw a movie last week where a character coughed and I told my wife: she's dead. And she did in fact die of some cough-related disorder.

When Ohio told us that the husband told his wife to stay out of their friends' marital problems, the alarm sounded. As soon as the wife started acting suspiciously I was sure it had to do with trying to save their friends' marriage.

I was disappointed to find out that I was absolutely correct. Unless Ohio threw us a red herring, there was no other reason to put the friends' marriage into the mix unless it was the focal point of the protagonists' problems.

That being said, I was surprised at the pure stupidity of the wife. How could anyone be that dumb? Unless... she really was cheating, perhaps there was a threesome involved. I guess that's what part 2 (if there is one) will be about.

I guess I thought the whole thing was a bit obvious, except for the husband walking out in the end. Still, Ohio writes well enough to keep the reader's interest. And the plot was mostly new. Just wish it hadn't been telegraphed up front. There just wasn't that eureka moment when she admitted what she had been doing.

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
Amazing

story you have written. Again, it has all the right nuances you have so subtly penciled in for the characters. I don't quite understand the ending, unless you are setting up a next chapter. Keep going though, I found it a very nice read.

Tail End Pete

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
Another Story within the Story!!!

Here is another slant...

There was no answer to the big question...Did Susan Cheat?

The Key:

“Lucy told me the whole story as she'd just heard it from Susan. Apparently Stan had had too much to drink the night before, after their two little kids were asleep. For some reason he got very jealous of Susan and started accusing her of cheating on him with some guy she knew from work (which Susan swore to Lucy she'd never done). She couldn't calm him down, and finally he'd lost control and knocked her around.”

Lucy did not tell the whole truth and the whole story to Bob. Stan was correct. Susan was cheating…but with Lucy who had been her lover for years…

The story of Lucy’s attempt to assist in Susan and Stan’s reconciliation was partially true…but the major hurdle towards reconciliation was Stan’s ultimatum…to have a threesome with Susan and Lucy together. Initially, Susan had asked Lucy to fuck her husband so that he would feel that they were even…and this was going on for weeks at the cheap hotel…but it was Stan’s final ultimatum that had to be met before he came home….a threesome in a nice hotel.

The teddy was for Lucy who was looking forward to Susan that now included Stan..… the condoms were for Lucy…as she was in the habit of buying them to have sex with Stan…not as birth control….but as STD’s prevention. She lied to her mother who thought she was indeed helping her friends …..well she was indirectly…

Stan recognized Bob’s voice on the hotel phone and told the girls that they were almost caught…change of plans and venue…and went straight to Susan’s and Stan’s home….to fuck away the rest of the night…..

The elaborate story that all three prepared was easy…tell the truth just don't mention the sex and all the stories would be identical….they were all at the house…knew what the kids were wearing…and now the hoax was complete…..it didn’t matter what questions Bob asked since Lucy and Susan and even Stan all had common knowledge of everything…including their activities…..just leave out the sex..

The epiphany that Bob got in the shower was that on reflection neither Susan nor Lucy commented nor denied Stan’s accusation of Susan cheating….which started this whole mess.

And that is the unwritten key to the story no resolution to what started this mess…

So when Bob left and said he was going on a date…..Lucy knew he had figured it out…

‘nuff said

Andy

dave_magicdave_magicover 18 years ago
What_Go Figure

Enjoyed the story and I am under the opinion that the wife lied when she didn't have to. I also don't understand exactly why she had to meet him in the hotel room. AS the reader if I don't understand lucy's explanation, how do think Bob would understand. No I am curious what did he figure out that I didn't . I tracked every detail.

Please don't let this end without telling me in the story what I missed, its like those shows on TV and when you can't take it any more, it says " to be continued"

Love it good job.

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
It was a 5

This was one of the best stories I have ever read on here right up until the ending. For being listed under loving wives and without hardly any sex, it was engaging storytelling but, the ending ruined it for me. What an asshole the character was after knowing how he felt when he thought his wife was seeing someone else.

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
She lies like a dog.

Let's do some backtracking.

He was mostly done packing at 9p.m. It took him 3 hrs. so he started at 6pm. He gave her 45 minutes to get to her mother's house then went to the hotel, looked for her car, went in the lobby, called the courtesy phone, and drove home. Let's be generous and say that it takes 15 minutes to get to the hotel and 15 minutes back, plus 15 minutes to look around and then go inside. That's 45 minutes plus the 45 minutes leeway he gave. 6pm minus 1 1/2 hrs = 4:30pm.

She left the house at 4:30 or so. He called the mother inlaw around 5:15. He got to the hotel about 5:30, looked for her car, and used the courtesy phone. Left the hotel at 5:45, got home about 6:00pm. Packed for three hours until 9pm when he heard the phone ring but ignored it. Finished packing around 10pm, listened to the phone message, called the mother inlaw then left for Max's.

According to Susan, the wife left when Susan got there. According to the wife, the baby sitter called sick at 8:30 she then left to watch the kids getting there at 9pm when she called hubby to tell him she was staying at mothers overnight.

She was alone in the hotel room with Stan for at least 3 hours! From about 5pm - 8pm. That's probably what he figured out in the shower. It was either alone or a 3way, cheating on either count. Cut your losses, dump the bitch and have a nice date.

Good story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
Still like the way you tell em...

Now was his date with Diane the babysitter? An independent witness that could shed a different slant on the situation.

Good story and very original

My best regards

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
Interesting

I liked your story very much. I liked the ending the most. Whether or not you continue the story does not matter, I like the open-endedness of it. It allows the reader to use their imagination to go where it will.

Boyd

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
Well now!!!

I agree with "WE DEmand" give us MORE of this story........Good one....

Paul

spacer xspacer xover 18 years ago
Ohio, I'll bet you didn't plan a sequel

I think it's obvious this story was meant to stand alone, but I also think that it's left many people dissatisfied with the ending. It would be great to have a sequel where they final bizarre sentence gets acted on and explained. Maybe along the way it could turn out that there was more to this story and the "perfect storm" wasn't so perfect after all. For instance, perhaps Susan was cheating or Stan was cheating or someone was trying to make things look bad for Lucy in an attempt to break up her marriage (maybe her mother doesn't like the marriage and so does things like says Lucy is taking a shower when she isn't, advises Lucy to buy condoms, teddy, etc for the friend in places she knows her husband will find them, and so on).

It would be great if you could resolve what you left hanging and at the same time add additional layers of understanding and intrigue to this part of the story.

FireFox59FireFox59over 18 years ago
What??

Love it Ohio. Don't really understand the wifes lying or whether she really cheated or not. I have no idea what's going on with the end. I just don't have that creative writer mind. LOL!!! You can't leave open ended story with me. I'll never figure it out.

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
good story what is this date?

good story, what is this date?

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
Please....

...resist the temptation to comply with those demanding a sequel. The worst, er, week of my life should stand alone.

PArebelPArebelover 18 years ago
Great

Really enjoyed it. Would love to see a sequel.

HarddaysknightHarddaysknightover 18 years ago
A very good read, but

it stalled a bit toward the end. Your writing is superior. The plot was good, but a little more turmoil with a quick, surprising resolution would have pleased more readers. (I always look for your stories.)

EffectEffectover 18 years ago
Interesting to see others

I have to say it's interesting (good or bad is up to each person) that others have had the same thought that she most likely did cheat but it could either be a three-way with Susan and her husband or possibly with Susan herself. The end with the husband in the shower could be looked at a few ways I think.

He simply could have gotten to the point where he was all set to believe the relationship was over(before her coming clean) and realizing how much she cared for her friend was way beyond what she cared for him and their marriage. So he decided to go out.

Then there is possibly the realization that the story he was told be her and Susan seemed to good and then started to think again. Realizing that it was a planned story between the two of them. I agree, why in the hell would she need to buy the condoms for Stan. He's a grown man and if Susan isn't suppose to know he's coming, he would know and is fully able to stop buy a store and buy a box himself. The only logical reason for them, with them being with the wife would be that she had who she had sex with to use them. Not to get pregrent but to try and protect herself from STDs. Or if not for STDs, there is always anal sex they could be used for.

One really just needs to look at that alone I think for major doubts to enter. All the other things just get even worse. Why would she have to buy the gift for Susan? Stans the one trying to be forgiven and naturally would have the gift with him where he's at since he has his own room where he's been staying. Her having it logically and most likely means it was hers or maybe a gift to her. Then there is the whole possible issue of time(in the hotel room, between the calls, etc), mistrust and betrayal. Her getting angry at the husband when she was the one keeping secrets and lying. Best defense is a good offense as the saying goes. Why would she have to hide her car now?

I think it comes down to exactly why did she have these items and not Stan. He clearly had a place to stay. Sure he's know her size. Him using condems to not make his wife pregent since she went off the pill would make sense but how and why in the hell couldn't he have bought a box himself? Did he not leave the room the entire time he was there, doubtfull since he was there for at least two months it seems.

It's very possible she was cheating. The question is with who? A threesome is looking more and more likely I think. They were found out and made up the story which could possibly be true in parts but certain things were edited and change in hopes if questions were asked outside of them some truth would be told in response.

There is also the fact that since the beginning of the story she seemed to lie without any problem. After the first talk on the phone he caught without her knowing she right away went to working in the kitchen and humming while at it. She didn't even feel bad about lying the way she did. Compare that to the end where after the talk and he's in the shower, she's in the kitchen humming again like nothing even happen.

Even if she wasn't cheating, the fact that she can lie so easily is more then enough to put seriously problems in a relationship and the fact that she didn't even seem that bother by it is what really bothers me to be honest.

If she was, it's possible that they simply went over everything for his possible questions. She says she was about the house with the kids. That's the story they would use for her not being home. Naturally he'd ask questions abou the kids to prove she was there. More then likely Susan and Lucy went over this before hand. Hell she could have had a cell phone on her with Lucy's number dialed while she was talking and being asked questions. So him trying to get to Lucy to ask her questions before she can be in contact with Susan again to get things straight wouldn't matter much if that was the situation.

I think even if he believes her, he said to her that he felt the marriage was over in his mind before she tried to explain herself. Could be that he simply didn't feel anything towards her. Perhaps he meet someone after she came to the job. Everyone near must have heard them screaming at each other. Perhaps he was asked out on a date or something like that and decided to go since he considered things over between himself and Lucy.

Ohio if you have a sequel planned or are thinking of one please do so. I have a feeling a LOT of people would love to see it. I know I would just to have a clearer understanding of the fallout in how you see it.

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
Well rehearsed.

I loved the story. The one thing that stuck out for me was how the stories the two women told were word for word down to the grape juice on the little girls clothes. That and her having the condoms and the nighty in her house?

There probably should be a second or third installment to answer some of these and the other questions that have been raised.

Ed

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
Did she or didn't she?

Ohio:

I don't think she screwed around with Stan, however her conduct was totally reprehensible. She acted like a little spoiled girl through the whole episode. Her lies and evasive actions are the death knell of a marriage; if not now surely in the future. He has lost his trust of her and any future miscommunication will end the marriage because he will not have any faith in her, nor trust her. If she lied back then, She must be lying now. Of course his "date" to piss her off and let her worry for a bit is also not going to be helpful and is in fact making Bob look like a petulent teenager.

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
Superb Liar -Just tell the truth (some)!

Excellent story! It begs for a Part II due to the unanswered questions.

Why put your relationship with your husband through the ringer for potential reconciliation between Stan and Susan?

Who buys condoms and a sexy teddy if this was their first meeting back together since the Big Fight(Lucy casted this dinner and romantic night as a surprise to Susan)?

Why didn't Lucy mentioned to Bob that she knew he had called her mother twice and the last time was after her "my mother is sick and I have to stay the night" call? When she got home Sunday wouldn't she have called her mother to find out if he called? He had already accused her of cheating so what was he supposed to think once he found out she was not at her mother's? If she was ready to confess deceiving Bob on Sunday morning why did take until Wednesday for her change in tone?

The most perplexing thing Lucy did was the phone call or her word choice - I put X in [] to play the other side of that conversation:

[X - "Does Bob know about our Saturday night party?"]"No, he thinks I'll be at my mother's house

{X- "Are you sure that you want to do this?"]… un-huh, that just seemed like the best way to handle it …

[X -"Are you worried that Bob will suspect something?"]

.No, I'm not too worried about it. He even saw my car at the Chesterton yesterday, but I managed to explain it away …

[X - "You seems to have thought things out."] Yeah …

[X - Girl, I would be worried to death if I were you?"]

Yeah, listen, I should go. Bob could come in any moment…

[X - "Well, I can not wait to have you in my arms again"]. Yeah, Saturday is going to be great! I'm really looking forward to it …

[X - "Well, I will see you Saturday. I love you!"]. OK, me too."

X is Susan of course and the affair that set Stan off was with Lucy. susan had been calling from stan's hotel. Lucy went to Stan to explain her relationship with Stan but Stan insisted that they demonstrated to him how they "loved" each other. They brought the condoms (why would Lucy be worried about Susan having unprotected sex with her husband?) so Stan could relieve his excitement after seeing them together.

Anyway that's my theory. Once again you write excellent stories and I look forward to the next one.

SleeplessinMD

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
he should have asked Susan to borrow her cell...

What are the chances that Susan's cell phone was connected to his wife while he was interogating her?

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
Well Crafted Ist Chapter Author

I do so enjoy your work. This set up is very imaginative and very well contrived and written.

His shower brought forth some time alone to reflect on each prior discussion and the time frames alleged or gestimated by him.

She left the hotel when - discrepancy in stories - why?

She ordered double hotel rooms - why?

How did the brief teddy get out of the house - he saw her leave and no box was mentioned and when he checked it was gone as she was - How?

He didn't say but he had time while upstairs showering to check the phone for the last call number or the recorded message she was listening to when he came in.

I look forward to the answers to these and Max's involvement - Double rooms?

Author - you are appreciated for your talent and imagination but most of all for closing out each story in a consequencial way - thanks again - with High Regard

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
It's the lies!

Like most of your stories, very well written, good suspense although weak end. I do not understand the reader preoccupation with the question of whether she cheated or not. The major problem was the wife's total lack of trust in her husband, her continual lies to him, and her sense of priorities. Her concern for her friend was obviously greater than her concern for her husband' I don't know why he didn't just leave his wife. Let her live with Susan and Stan. Obviously she cares more for them than she does for him. 60 year old George

Average-JoeAverage-Joeover 18 years ago
I agree that it was too clever

Besides the fact that you seemed to write for a twist and it made the story seem like setup for a punchline, you left too much stuff unresolved. Instead of just leaving the aftermath to the imagination, you left the main part of the story unresolved. I dont know if he was leaving her or just trying to prove a point. I dont know if she cheated. I dont know why she had rubbers for the other two (this seemed totally outside the realm of believability to me). Seemed to me that you tried to get too artsy for your own good.

Without a second part we have:

- a woman may or may not have cheated

- a man may or may not have left her

There was some good stuff in the story too though. It was suspenseful and the buildup was good. I liked that he didnt just hug her and say everything was ok when she came up with a semi-believable explanation since even if she wasnt lying about having an affair (back to the rubbers sticking point here), her other actions were bad enough & warrent at least consideration as to whether he wants to be married to her.

Anyway, like I said, there was some good stuff in the story even if the frustration outweights the positives imo. Thanks for writing an please consider a second part to give a little more info (it doesnt have to spell out everything but a little more info would be helpful). Thxs for writing.

saw_man1saw_man1over 18 years ago
No Second Chapter Needed

As usual, the writing was superb and the ending was inspired. He was headed out the door to begin the worst week of her life as evidenced by this line; “I realized that the worst week of my life was finally over—but not the worst week of Lucy's…."

The reason behind making her pay for her dishonesty is in an earlier line; "Because helping Stan and Susan became more important to her than her marriage to me."

The story is complete and very well written.

LustyTexanLustyTexanover 18 years ago
Good jump out of the gate

Great start, but the farther it goes the tireder it gets.

MinigalesMinigalesover 18 years ago
What was it?

The author seems to want us to believe that Lucy did not cheat on Bob, but the facts do not add up. What we know for sure:

* She lied and deceived him repeatedly.

* The "affair" exerted a huge tension on their marriage.

* He gave her serious warnings that it was about over.

* She did not account for the three hours during which he packed.

* The extra things she claimed she did for her friends were too smart for her own good (if they were true anyway).

Those facts should be enough to end that marriage. The wife was too dumb for her own good.

If he still had any doubt she cheated on him, here is what he should do:

"You risked our marriage for your friends despite my warning you not to meddle. At this point I am not sure what comes first our marriage or theirs."

"Of course it's our marriage, honey."

"It is easy to say that, but it may not be that easy to prove it."

"I'd do anything to prove it to you."

"That was what I thought. If our marriage comes before theirs, your only chance of saving our marriage is never to talk to them again. You are not even allowed one courtesy call to tell them that it is over. If you ever talk to them or communicate in any other way electronic or otherwise, it is over. If you see them somewhere, you should start running in the other direction."

"That's not fair."

"It is as fair as lying and deceiving continuously without any guilt. Now it's up to you. I am leaving now. Think about what I said and let me know. Remember that if you talk to them or answer their calls or happen to be within fifty feet from either of them, it will be over."

While I do not ask the author for a sequel, I ask that he rewrite the end and let us know what had really happened.

Thanks.

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
Where's the sex?

No really, where's the sex?

I kept waiting for the sex scene. Some sort of payoff. It never came.

Hint: No sex scene - put it in Non-Erotic.

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
re: Minigales

There are unanswered questions but that doesn't mean the author wants us to believe anything in particular. A rewrite is unneeded. In a fairly written First Person account (and we must assume that it's fair) all the author can report is what the FP experiences directly. It's kind of hard to do because the FP has a whole lot of background info that it's impossible to put in the story. Done right the reader will have all the relevant information. In a FP story it's as if the author is reporting the story not making it up.

The questions are unanswered because Bob doesn't know the answers. Apparently his thinking in the shower prompted some of the questions other commenters have posed. The author doesn't have to keep us apprised of every thought that goes through Bobs mind. If the story continues we'll find out what really happened when Bob does. I want to know but if all questions had been answered there'd be a lot less interest and comments.

KOLKOREKOLKOREover 18 years ago
May the readers figure it up?

I may be of two minds regarding the tactics, but there is no doubt that with success you do not argue. The readers speak by the numbers and by the level of interest and involvement. Cheers to that!

If you break traditions and play with our expectations - so be it. All great story tellers from the oral tradition and on, are notorious manipulators - for the sake of promoting their art of course. If I may fill somewhat ill at ease, still Ohio successfully drew our attention to the story. Imagine reading one of Agatha Christie’s detective mysteries. All the suspects are summoned to the obligatory denouement, when suddenly they all remember that the butler has disappeared and…end of story! Every one react with initial shock and confusion, some go back to read the last chapter. No one expected this kind of ending, not with the strong tradition of the genre which ‘promises’ detailed explanation followed by the public exposure of the murderer.

If you want to become a successful iconoclast, that is one who successfully breaks traditions, you first have to convince many that what you have created is indeed a daring new venue and not a botched performance of the familiar. The answer to that depends on the collective response of all the readers.

For sure, it is a difficult ending for a stand alone story - difficult but not impossible. Even among the many feedbacks to this story you can find two or three relatively plausible arguments to keep the story as such. It does leave the reader with a lot of gaps to fill. There is nothing wrong with that.

My problem - It does clash with the highly detailed style of the narrative. This story does not leap over months and years. It does not portray with a large brush many characters over numerous situations. It narrates the main plot very closely, in a focused manner, stopping even on the color of stains on a child cloth, like it tells you all these details are for a function in the grand scheme of things. Than the story ends. So, for what purpose were those details put into the story to begin with? Were all those details of times places etc. for ornamental purpose only? (That is, in addition to the function of creating numerous speculations about the potential ways to fill the gaps). Yes we read the official explanation, but the husband himself asks:” Then why on earth didn't I feel better than I did?” Then he leaves for a date (?). If these are not the narrator’s official “please disregard prior straight forward perfect answers” than I do not know what else could ever be.

Part of the debate that goes on is whether there should be a follow up or not. I am pretty sure that had Ohio written at the end of the story “chapter one” or “the end”, we would have seen a significantly lower number of responses. If it works here – who knows, it could set a trend. Personally, I am not too keen, but honestly I can not blame any writer (It is just a speculation) for toying with us while increasing his/her readership’s involvement. It may not last forever but for now it works.

PArebelPArebelover 18 years ago
The feedback says it all

I hadn't looked here in several days and was floored when I saw almost 60 postings. This has obviously evoked interest.

Persoally, I really enjoyed the story but would like a continuation. Like others I have to speculate on:

Why she would seem to value her friend's marriage more than her own marriage?

Was she having an affair with Stan, Sue, both?

How did she convince her mother to be part of this deception of her husband? What does this say about good 'ole Mom? If Mom has no problem with daughter deceiving her husband maybe this explains some of Lucy's attitude.

Where was Don really going, and why is he going? What if anything has he figured out.

Thanks for another excellent effort.

I am sure there

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
Very mediocre story, really

was expecting a bit more from Ohio here,,, Too much expectation, I guess.

I guess I needed a date, too! lol

MinigalesMinigalesover 18 years ago
RE: Anonymous in Missouri

I agree to what you said, but I was not asking for a rewrite of the story, just a rewrite of the last couple of lines. Obviously Bob figured out something in the shower. We do not know what it was and where he was headed. How was he going to proceed afterwards? He obviously knew those answers, had some partial answers or questions. We do not have a clue what his state of mind was at that. That was what I wanted to know, not the absolute truth if he did not know it.

wetapapwetapapover 18 years ago
Late comment, but

for a good reason. I usually try and comment to a story as soon as possible. Believe me, I read this story the first night it was released. That’s the problem, I’ve read it at least twice a day every since. My comment is late because every damn day I’ve been trying to find the hidden clue to her cheating. Uncle, I give up, I just knew it had to be there, and if it is, you did a very good job of hiding it. I did find one thing that I would like to have an answer to if I were her husband. I’m not. He seems satisfied to the answers she's given him about everything else, so who am I to stand in their way. I’ll keep my question to myself. As usual, fantastic story, great read, I think for me it has set a personal new record on the number of times I’ve read a story. Keep up the good work. A fan always.

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
As Minigales, et al Said,,,

The last a couple lines --- as I cut and pasted below --- can NOT be squared with one another. We are aware, we think, that the author, Ohio, was trying to be somewhat flippant at the end there:

He tried to make us think the idiotic husband had, really had, no clues, despite his suspicions. Example:

++++++++++++++++++

"""" As I trudged upstairs my mind was still buzzing with confusion. Thank God, Thank God, Thank God. She hadn't cheated on me, hadn't had an affair with that big jerk. It was all a misunderstanding, the Perfect Storm of all misunderstandings.""""

"""Then why on earth didn't I feel better than I did?"""

++++++++++++++++++

Yes,,,, then why on earth? Didn't you just say, "Oh,

I'm so relieved now: It's just a big MISUNDERSTANDING!,

she didn't have an affair with that jerk???? Yes, you did! At this point we KNOW he is a perfect idiot. But Ohio wanted his husband character to outwit us, to make us realize HE knows what's going on, by now, seeing all the worries and tears of his "beloved" wife, telling him the same kid-stain-shirt story Lucy, the abused woman to those children, told the husband a short while ago,,

+++++++++++++++++++

"""I climbed into the shower and stood under the water, letting it rain down on my head. Slowly, very slowly my jumbled feelings started to come into focus. Mixed with my relief was a lot of anger. All of the suffering she'd put me through, for nothing! Because she didn't trust me enough to tell me the truth! Because helping Stan and Susan became more important to her than her marriage to me.""""

+++++++++++++++++

All that,,, for NOTHING, the husband told us, as he's taking shower.

Then a few more lines, a few more minutes, later: He's heading out the door, all dressed and perfumed, whistling. "Where you going, honey"" the cheater said. "I have a date," he said,,,,

Again, HERE Ohio wanted to say that he had someone fooled us into thinking the husband had concluded he's worry over naught but that it's wrong; he had actually made a decision that the marriage was really over, as he headed up to take shower to prepare for his "date"

Note the following lines:

+++++++++++++

"""I realized that the worst week of my life was finally over—but not the worst week of Lucy's…."""

+++++++++++++

"""In the kitchen Lucy was humming to herself as she prepared to cook our dinner.

I went up to her and gave her a quick kiss on the cheek. Then I headed for the door.

"Bye, Lucy," I said.

"Where are you going?" she cried in alarm.

Without stopping, I called back over to my shoulder to her. "Out. I have a date."

++++++++++++++++++

These lines are to incongruent to go together, even if the author tried to be flippant. As an earlier reader observed, much more bluntly: Why those last few, brain-farting lines?, when the story was decent all the way up til those last few lines?

wetapapwetapapover 18 years ago
To the last commenter, Anonymous,

I originally felt and read those lines the same as you did. Seemed something was missing. Got out my magnifying glass, went over each word of every phrase to the point I thought I was going blind. In the shower, his pain and hurt dissipated but was replaced by pure anger. Not at her cheating it seems (I do reserve the right to be fooled), but at the fact she lied to him all week and let him feel all the pain and suffering he went through. The closing was nothing but pure retaliation “you lied to me, letting me wonder and worry over nothing for a whole week, now try and figure out if I’m lying and if I have a date, reflect on that while you’re hurting, I’ll let you know the truth in a week”. He had a head start on causing her to doubt since he hadn’t been home in six days. She has no idea, where he’s been, who he’s been with, or what he’s been doing. Bet she tries to find out, her turn to ask questions, follow cars, check phone logs, and drip acid in the process. When her week is over, do you think she will reflect twice before ever lying to him again?

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
A menu for a popular Lit. dish

Carefully write no more than one third to one half of a story.

Don’t say if this is the beginning, or the whole story (or maybe even the middle?). The more confusion the better overall outcome.

Then you have to let it simmer for two to three weeks.

While the partial story rests, it will swell with tens of readers comments to up to two or three times the size of its original size. It will evolve into a delicious main entry with no additional effort on the author’s part! True magic indeed

Come back after two to three weeks just to add some decorative powder of finishing story lines. Serve cold (it has to be after three weeks).

Enjoy!

Soon to be discovered by most popular writers everywhere!

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
I've been reading

all the comments left on this story for the past week and finally decided to read it. I actually found it well written and interesting, the viewpoint of a man who loved his wife and thought he was being cheated on. But, I didn't like the ending of it. If you'd left out that last part, had some great and vastly detailed makeup sex, life would have been wonderful...

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
nicley fabricated

looking forward for the next part.

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
The hero doesn't make sense

I've read it and all the comments: I agree, there's something missing. Up to the last few lines it was wonderful; the last lines weren't only out of character, but for me they killed my sympathy for the protagonist. Out of the blue he decides to make the next week hell for his wife and we don't have enough info to know why he's doing it. I'm not big on vengeance anyway, but there isn't a good reason for that here other than, perhaps, retribution for putting him through hell. He's been understandable up to the end, and then he launches a vendetta for no obvious reason.

Perhaps the author accidentally deleted the one sentence that brings everything together at the end, that tells us what he figured out that justified what he did.

LadyCibelleLadyCibelleover 18 years ago
Doesn't make sense??????

Of course it makes sense!!! It makes perfect sense. She put him through hell for a whole week...don't tell me you're all expecting him to forgive and forget like that.

She lied, completely, utterly and deliberately lied to her husband for no reason at all. Please don't tell me that you feel for the "Oh honey I couldn't tell you the truth I know how you hate Stan"...Oh Please, give me a break!!! She would choose her friend's huband over her own...pfffttt!!

His attitute is justified and even if he went and cheated on her I still think it would be justified...but I know he won't....that guy has too much class for that. He'll make her live a week in hell to show her how he felt..but I think it's gonna stop there.

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
LADYCIBELLE

I agree with you 100%. I have to say that i am still not convinced that she didn't cheat. For all we know they might of had a threesome. The only way to know if the stories match, is for the husband to go and talk to the babysitter that supposedly became ill. Then again, they might of have paid her well enough to keep her quiet. I do think that the husband is justified in doing what he set out to do. Give her a taste of her own medicine. Great story author. Thanks.

shangoshangoover 18 years ago
First "House of Cards"

Now this? Seems to me that writing about punk/naive Husbands is what you enjoy most. I like your storytelling style, but enough is enough! Where is the Author who wrote "A Loving Wife dies:Painful truths"? That's the only male you've ever written with balls!

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
I must have old'timers..

lost isnt just a great tv series anymore. you wrote quite a bit of drama into hubbies character, which was good, there was justifyable reasons to think "cheating". im curious now for the next chapter.

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
Another great story!

I find that your stories are consistently some of the best that are on this site. I must have read house of cards 20 times! This story is terrific as well. The problem here is communication. I doubt that the wife cheated, but the lies and then the unreasoning anger she has when he asked her about the lies show there are real problems with this marriage.

Keep up the great work. A fan always!

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
What's next

This cries out for a conclusion.

Im_your_HuckleberryIm_your_Huckleberryover 18 years ago
Story Hooks

A well written story. The ambiguous ending (has she or hasn't she, and how does he know?) has certainly prodded readers/commentors to search for hooks placed by the author to help predict the story conclusion (assuming they are there by intelligent design.) I know I did, and reading past comments so have many others. Those that caught my interest that haven't been commented on include one I'm not sure of the answer and seek your input. What color does a grape juice spill leave on a pink nightgown? Different than purple? And would there have been enought time in the morning between the spill and 9:30 for it to have left a stain? It seems the emphasis on this item may be a clue but I'm not sure.

Other unknowns/discrepancies:

Lucy tells Bob that she booked the room in case Stan and Susan work it out over dinner, but she is there in the room with Stan when Bob calls - at least for 45 minutes (from 5-5:30 on?) plus whatever time until dinner (if at all) starts. Lucy had indicated that Stan was to "drop in" during dinner with Susan. And she stays at least through 8:30 (if not the whole night.)

The 9:00 PM call from Lucy and Bob's subsequent call to her mother shows the mother was still covering for Lucy beyond the time she would presumably be back home with Bob - leaving the hotel at 8:30. The mother would have said that Lucy was on her way back instead of in the shower (why would a shower be necessary after putting pictures in an album?) Lucy either planned to be back home from the hotel rendezvous that evening or had the overnight stay worked out previously - baby sitter in fact stayed the whole night.

Susan tells Bob that Stan had started anger management classes,six weeks earlier. Lucy tells Bob that at her meeting with Stan at the Pinecrest three weeks earlier (two weeks before Saturday), Stan indicated the he was just beginning the class. If he had been going to classes for over two weeks, that was hardly "beginning."

When on Sunday (day after the rendezvous)did Stan check out of the Pinecrest? Susan says "He told me he had a room at the Pinecrest Motel. . ." so she must not have gone with him to check out prior to them comming home at 9:30. Lucy says she doesn't know until her Wednesday phone call with Susan that the couple have gotten back together when in fact he had already moved out of the motel the morning after the dinner.

The negligee/teddy may be a twist too. Bob says it is missing from the drawer after Lucy leaves but doesn't specifically say if the box is still there. He doesn't see Lucy leave with a box - Susan (and Lucy) say Stan gives her the negligee (and box) at the room.

It will be interesting to see where OHIO goes with this story and how the author connects the dots. My guess is that Lucy may have worn the teddy under her dress (box still in the drawer on Saturday night), and in fact the affair Stan initally discovers/accuses Susan of is not with another man but with Lucy. The get together at the Chesterton is a planned three-way as part of Stan's terms for his return. The purple grape stain on a pink nightie may be the initial clue but I leave that to your input.

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
This story explains alot

If this is any indication of typical Ohioan thought processes, I can see why the state went for Bush. The husband was too thick to see through all the holes in his wife's tale and she was thick enough to invent such a fairy tale.

PArebelPArebelabout 18 years ago
Still waiting

Okay, you like to keep us hanging, but let's have a final chapter.

Was she being truthful at the end? Do they have a chance?

I hate this lack of finality. :)

AnonymousAnonymousabout 18 years ago
chapter 2

You really should write about the wife's worst week. I think turn about is fair play. She should have to endure what her husband went through... not knowing who or what he was doing.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 18 years ago
she cried for an hour

i liked his decision to go ahead and go out. once the trust is broken, the merriage will never be the same.

until it was explained to her, she didnt have a clue why he felt that the merriage is over. after all these year she doesnt understand her husband. she really is self-centered.

S-DesS-Desalmost 18 years ago
So close . . .

I love your work and this was mostly great, but I just couldn't take that final leap with you. If you're saying she didn't cheat, but he wants revenge, didn't she suffer when he walked out without a word? Not saying she didn't deserve it, just that he already was being mean to her, but it was because he thought she was cheating. Now he finds out she wasn't and he wants to be mean again. I just didn't get it.

I couldn't make it through all the comments, but I didn't see anyone mention the two biggest things I noticed.

#1) The condoms. Why the hell would his wife have to buy Stan condoms? He can buy them in hotels, motels, gas stations, liquor stores, grocery stores, etc... I get the teddy, she would pick out something that her girlfriend would like. But the condoms don't make any sense unless she is cheating or it was an oversight.

#2) What was she doing when he walked in the door? Checking the answering machine. Was there enough time for her friend to make a quick call and leave the info about the pajamas on the answering machine as his wife was walking into the house? I don't know if it's significant or not, but definitely left open a possibility that she still did cheat.

Since you didn't write a follow-up, I'm guessing this is where it will stay. If she didn't cheat, it doesn't need another chapter, there's not much to say. If she did, then get back to writing damn it! I'll comment on Ch2 and apologize for guessing wrong on the clues (or maybe right). Either way, congrats on a good story and for writing something that provoked so much conversation.

That is the mark of a very good writer, which you should be proud of.

....S-Des

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 18 years ago
why do we out smart ourselves

you give us this long drawen out story and then you cut it at the end.what happen at the end.

shangoshangoalmost 18 years ago
Are you making donuts now?

Because they work well with big holes in them. This story had HUGE holes and it appears that you also rushed the ending. Most folks who read your work (and I count myself) recognize that you are a reconciliation Author, so I won't comment on that, but "Tommy" could see the wife lied through the whole thing.

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
Twisted and Confusing

Interesting tale. The first time I read it, I was convinced that it was a "simple" tale of a wife lying to hide her disobedience of her husband's strict instruction to not get involved in a marital dispute, and the fractures that result from her lying to cover up her ignoring his advice. Simple story - husband catches wife sneaking, he realizes it's about her friend's husband, and suspects the worst. Once the air is cleared by the women, they begin a rocky process of reconciliation, capped by him twisting the knife a bit to make her understand disunity.

It sounded simple, but a second and third reading left me with more and more questions about what was really going on. I now see that the husband has reason to doubt the story (that's the true cost of the lying - not knowing what to believe), and that he needs to do some more work to find out just what has been going on. As I see it, the possibilities are foursquare:

a) The wife is completely innocent of sexual sin in this situation, and is telling the truth about her lies. The sex that happened was between the estranged friends, and she was just an eager worker at reconciliation. If this is the case, she still caused a gaping wound in her marriage by not telling her husband what she was doing when she was found out. And why not get him to agree at least after he finds out something's up? And there are problems with the details. One of the biggest is her overreaction to his suspicions. Why does she flip out? Does she not understand that her actions and lies pont that way? Once the guy's name comes up, why does she not put the pieces together and realize how anomalous her position really is? She'd have to be an idiot, I think.

b) She and the estranged husband do have an affair, without the estranged wife's knowledge. This solution explains several things, such as the other woman's backing her story (not lies), and the extent to which the wife involves herself, the time discrepancy, etc. I even argue that the wife did not go in intending to have an affair - perhaps se got sucked into an emotional entanglement with him while helping. Women who help the distressed usually do get emotionally involved, and with a man in solitude, emotional entanglements lead to sex. I recall a passage from Heinlein's "Number of the Beast," where the prtagonist relates how she went from helping a man work out prgramming problems to helping him take her pants off. The wife could have found herself similarly "helping" the estranged husband. Now there's some anger management! He "last hurrah" would then have come before dinner on that Saturday, without the wife ever knowing what happened. This explanation is my favorite, and explains the outrage when accused - she's guilty, thinks she got away with "accidentally cheating," and wants to minimize damage.

c) She had an affair with the husband,, te wife knows it, and they're covering it up. While a little less plausible, it has the virtue of explaining why the wives appear to be conspiring near the end to convince him that his wife is innocent. As others note, the story seems too detailed, and the women had plenty of time to agree via phone message on the story. (that's what you get for putting checking the messages in, Ohio.) Why would the estranged wife agree to cover it up? As others have suggested, perhaps it's a threesome. This is only plausible because it seems so obvious that the alibi jammies are a story. Maybe by now I'm too suspicious. Or, it connects to the last possibility.

d) The wives are the ones having an affair, and have been for some time. Kudos to the readers who noted that the estranged husband was violent out of suspicion of his wife. What if he was right, and the whole business of secret reconciliation and conspiracy covers up their affair. Maybe both husbands are complete dupes, but more likely the one who figured it out first was being bribed by a three-way into silence about his involvement. That would cover the story adequately, but it still leaves a lot of vulnerabilities - the mom appeares to know something, and the babysitter must be silenced. Sonner or later, it will come out. Another threesome in the works?

And I'm not sure what the husband is doing, exactly, when he leaves. My read is that he will leave, go and think things over, and come back home late. What he does then depends on his wife, but I think he's working out a payback week of lies and deceptions. If he buys the story, he's just making a point. If he doesn't, he may be trying to crack her reserve. I too would like to see a sequel, ecause I want to know what went on. Nice story

b)

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
Pages and pages of comments !!!

Talk about reactions..Wow!!!...the comments were as much fun to read as the story itself . Many interesting discussions about "clues" , and timetables....fascinating stuff , all of it , and very entertaining too , and thats why I give this story a high score . I don't care for the ending at all , and I completely missed the eroticism , or

any connection to a storyline of "Loving Wives" . When she bolted from the room , calling him a "Bastard" on several

different occasions , I stopped at that point , and voted her "guilty as charged" . From that one point onward , I don't think that wound can be healed , or any relationship

recovered .

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
Congratulations on an excellent...

mystery. You left the reader with two scenerios to believe:

(1) Lucy had stupidly risked her marriage where she broke her vow to "forsake all others" (in this case Stan and Susan over Bob).

(2) Lucy had an affair with Susan and Saturday night was a threeway she had with Stan and Susan so that Stan can get past the affair.

Usually, the reader goes with the scenerio left by the author but in this case there are a number of questions:

- Why would Lucy keep condoms and the sexy teddy in her purse/drawer if they were intended for Stan? Since she met with Stan why didn't she give him those things so he can keep them?

- Did Stan and Susan ever resolve his allegation that she cheated? That serious charge got lost in their reconciliation.

- Why was it necessary for Lucy to lie about filling in for the sick babysitter(i.e. the sick mother)? She could called to say that the babysitter called her since Susan was out of town. She didn't have to get into the reasons why Susan was away and it may have given Bob reason to question his own suspicions.

- Why did Lucy volunteer the details of the grape juice spilling and Joanne refusing to change clothes? Since the focus of their talk was her, Stan and Susan it seem strange to discuss that level of detail then.

Of course, there are explainations which range from stuff happens to that is the way it went. We will probably never know what you intended here so congratulations on leaving us with a good mystery.

SleeplessinMD

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
idiotic little story, that's what this was

"Then on Wednesday I looked through your drawers and found the laciest, sexiest teddy I'd ever seen! And I knew I'd never seen you wear it, so it wasn't hard to start imagining whom you'd be wearing it for!"

She gasped, and said, "I didn't know you'd found that, Bob! It was for Stan, to give to Susan…"

"Yes," I said, "she told me that today. But at the time, what do you think it looked like to me?

"Then on Thursday, when I tried to talk to you, you just about bit my head off. You've never EVER walked out in the middle of an argument, but you did it then! Instead of taking the time to explain the truth to me, you pitched a convenient fit and stormed out of the room.

"And on Friday—well, the icing on the cake! A box of Trojans in your purse, Luce! Since you're on the pill, I had to wonder what those were for!"

She looked down, and said, "I got them for Stan. I knew Susan had stopped taking the pill, and I was afraid he'd forget."

++++++++++++++++

after all that idiocy and the guy said, "Thank God, Luce has not cheated on me with that bastard Stan."

Okay, I believe you, Luce. Now, I gotta take a shower.

Why? What for?

Oh, did I forget to tell you? I have a hot date tonight!

and he walks out the door, whistling, he tells us.

Now, it's supposed to be Lucy's turn to have a bad week, he says.

I mean, WTF!

The whole premise is idiotic to start with. E.g:

1. Lucy knows when Susan's taking or not taking the pills;

2. She knows that Stan is forgetful and might get Susan pregnant, IF SHE DOESN'T BUY condoms for Stan.

3. Susan and Stan also need Lucy to buy Susan sexy underwear, in order for Stan and Susan not to constantly fight, so Stan would stay and love HIS KIDS (Lucy couldn't stand it when he leaves his kids... The couple is in deep trouble and Lucy couldn't stand them being so unhappy, so if she had to "chew" Bob's head off, so be it.)

4. Lucy needs to reserve the motel and hotel rooms and SHOW Stan not only where they are but how you open hotel and motel doors.

5. Lucy doesn't want Susan to know that STAN'S been working so hard to show her how appreciative of her he has been, so Lucy MUST do all these things for Stan and Susan, including using Lucy's own credit cards to reserve all these luxurious places.

6. A whole bunch of other TOTAL MINDLESS things,,,

And SleeplessMD, usually a level-headed reader/reviewer said this was a good "mystery" that could "go either way"? That's the biggest nonsense I've ever read SleeplessMD wrote!

The FACT of the matter is, the story was a flop; it's not believable; it's not a mystery; it's a FAIL ATTEMPT at "Loving Wives".

There's no "mystery" in Lit. "Loving Wives" section: you either cheat or you don't. You don't make the reader guess whether you are clever or not in your attempt at clever-ness!

The "evidence" Ohio gave have Lucy walk with cum dripping from her genitals everywhere she goes. Saying it's just the latest perfume from France don't do jack and it certainly don't make the story good or a "mystery"!! LOL

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
tell me who wants a lying and stupid wife

this plot got stupid at the end.the hubby wasn't forceful enough.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 17 years ago
A very tightly narrated tale

It was a fine piece of writing, and quite impressive in its economy of expression, even down to the use of punctuation marks that said a lot about each character.<br>

<br>

I only disagree with the phrasing of the last clause. It shouldn't read "Out. I have a date." It should read, "Out. I've got a date." The difference may be subtle, but it is important to closing the loop on the thought on Sunday <br>

<blockquote>

> "I tried to keep remembering that I was only 31, that<br>

> I wasn't too bad-looking, and that I had a solid <br>

> well-paying job. I could be an OK catch for some<br>

> other woman. It was just that the prospect of <br>

> looking, of starting all over again on the <br>

> dating scene, was not all that appealing.<br>

> In principle, I supposed, a clean slate could <br>

> be exciting and fun. You never know what <br>

> beautiful, exciting, fun women you might <br>

> get to know!<br>

</blockquote>

I also think that the adverb "in alarm" in the second-to-last sentence is distracting and unnecessary. It's not everyday that a man decides to follow through with beginning the first day of the rest of his life and to begin dating again at 31. I don't think mathematically-minded Susan (the CPA) was capable of getting to the bottom line then, and she hardly registered alarm at points in their interactions when one would suppose she would. <br>

<br>

Bob the programmer, however, concluded rightly that the material fact of her cheating is the least of his problems: the scope of deception practiced by his wife and in part her best friend and her mother (though to what degree those two had participated willingly or with full understanding of what was happening is a matter of speculation) is something that ought to make him stay the course on his decision to move on.<br>

<br>

Again, excellent story. Thanks for your efforts.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 17 years ago
Still Waiting

It is now alomost 18-months later and we are still patiently (?) waiting for the nest chapter. This story cries out for a conclusion. I loved it too here, but really feel teased at this point.

NucleusNucleusover 16 years ago
Guys ...!

It's only fiction but a good one. Thanks a lot for good entertainment. Can it be that germans think different about such stories? Lucy puts Bob through hell because of her foolish behaviour. It's a lot to think about for her(and for him). <p>The only thing I don't believe is that Bob didn't discover her common dishonesty earlier whilst nine years of marriage.</p>

<p>Sincere regards</p>

<b>Nucleus</b>

rooster1rooster1over 16 years ago
The hotel room

Lucy never gave any explained why when he call the room Stan answered but lucy's voice was heard?

AnonymousAnonymousover 16 years ago
" BS! "

....... WHERE IS THE REST OF THE STORY ? .........

THIS IS BULL SHIT! ......... rich

BigFtHunterBigFtHunterover 16 years ago
The End

Ohio, have you any thoughts on continuing this train of thought. Would love to hear what happens next. Thanks Glenn

AnonymousAnonymousabout 16 years ago
Worst Week

After waiting this long for Ohio to complete the story, it is clear that there is no completion to come. Here is mine: The date is with a divorce lawyer. I vote that the "worst week of Lucy's life" is going to begin when she gets the notification of suit for divorce the next day. The only thing missing is grounds; he will now go with irreconcilable differences rather than adultery. It's all very simple: she cares more for another's marriage than her own, let her find someone who can accept that in a spouse. Isaac

AnonymousAnonymousabout 16 years ago
Worst Week - I liked it?

I really enjoyed, " The Worst Week of My Life ", until the

ending. I could understand that he felt his wife did not care about her marriage, as much as her friends. But the way you ended the story, it has to mean He never loved her as much as you professed in the story. I am sorry to say it ruined a good story for me. But I would also like to say I have enjoyed most of your other stories that I have read. Thanks for the Stories, and keep up the good work.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 16 years ago
HE SHOULD GIVE LUCY A CHOICE...

Either the relationship with Stan & Susan comes to an abrupt end or a DIVORCE since she evidently places a higher value on Stan & Susan's marriage than her own...

AnonymousAnonymousabout 16 years ago
like it

good for him. he needs to give her something to think about. if he take that easy, she will never learn her mistake.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 16 years ago
unbelieveable

She didn't have to lie at all. I Wouldn't believe her. And the guy is a jerk trying to get her jealous. forget it...

AnonymousAnonymousabout 16 years ago
Close but does not work....

Why lie? Ok, give her some slack for hiding her actions from her husband in the first place, not exactly truthful, but then she lies, and then lies to cover up the lie, and continues to lie. Here is where it really does not make sense, by the time of the lie she had basically already set up the reconciliation. Unless her husband was just a total ass, which the character you created did not seem to be, the truth would have been so much easier. So she lies for no reason, keeps on doing it and assumes she can just confess at the end and all will be ok. The other problem is the character of the husband would be less forgiving, but assuming a man could forgive, was logical enough to get over it, they would still have some rough times and revenge, assuming you want to save a relationship, does not work. Not one of your best works.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous