All Comments on 'Three Square Meals Ch. 129'

by Tefler

Sort by:
  • 123 Comments
PokingdemonPokingdemonabout 4 years ago
First.

Thank you Tefler. Normally I don't jump ahead, this is probably the only time I will lol. Now to read the story. 5 stars.

hillcountrycowboyhillcountrycowboyabout 4 years ago
It’s easy to get spoiled...

...by so many consistently great chapters. It’s very tense knowing that thrall ships are already in their neck of the woods, building a gate. Since Xar has already lost control of three Progenitors under the Shroud, you know he’s sending his worst uber evil villain.

As Rus pointed out in a comment on the last chapter, did we see an Achonin on the “Underworld” refinery? And what did Faye see on the Invictus, that she never got to tell John about? Was that after she downloaded her memories for Little One? Did the Achonins create the Shroud? Do they still exist in some form?

Thanks Tef! I can’t wait to re-read this chapter and see what I missed! I appreciate you delving deeper into what makes Alyssa tick.

HillCountryCowboy

SifuTronSifuTronabout 4 years ago
What was a rush?!

Ah! You're a master of cliffhangers you magnificent bastard. You are still one of the best writers on this site, Tefler. Love your work. I never want this story to end but then we will hopefully get your gloriously teased 'Setting Sail on a Black Sea'. Can't wait for the next installment.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Thank you very much.

You entertain as always.

Best to you and yours,

Joel

PokingdemonPokingdemonabout 4 years ago
5 stars

Love your work. I hope to see the novels in paperback someday. Hopefully someday a publisher will see your work and publish it.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
A chair

Tefler how can you make me care about a chair and then follow it up with a mental picture of John fucking his way through Dreadnought armour?

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Thanks

So great going to be hard waiting for the nxt chapter

taco1085taco1085about 4 years ago
the greatest

this is the greatest story ever, thanks for another amazing chapter Mr. Tefler.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Thanks!

Finally someone had a real talk with Allyssa. It is too bad she is too far gone to see the admirals points. Yes we get to see more about Allyssas reasoning behind her callous brutality. And I can sort of see her point. The problem is she is taking it too far. She can't see that that kind of white and black mentality only will escalate over time. Now she may be "punnishing" Really evil deeds. But as time go the limit for when she does that will lower and lower, She doesnt se that danger. She is already halfway to a evil Progenitor tyrant that kills anyone that does anything she doesnt like. I only hope that alltough she refused to take heed of the admirals worries, that his words will remain in her mind and slowly break through to the kind girl that still is somewhere deep inside.

Well enough about that. For now they have to get their butts going. It was nice that Calara got to square things out with her father. But they really didn't have time for it. They have to hurry up and get those thrall ships. And that soulforge, before someone else gets it.

So it seems the Black metal gets weak when it turns white from a "exorsism". I had hoped that if they knew what it was, they could make a white version just as strong as the original. But that seems unlikely now. The metal in itself isn't so strong. Not before those asshole Progenitors infuse it with the souls of thousands of sacrificed thralls. A better route are to take the strongest Chrystal Allysium and infuse that with freely given positive psychic energies. Maybe that will make CA stronger.

And they also need to deal with the Brimorians. Yes, the upper caster are completelly corrupt, and may have to be erradicated. But I refuse to believe that in a sentient population that big, there are no good people. Therefore no genocide! I also want to see them free that special nymph there.

And then, first then they can prepare for the next progenitor. I fear it is already too late.

Thanks again Tefler, for a marvellous read. And take care of yourself.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Yet Again

And....... Yet Again.

It just keeps coming and building. A monumental piece of work already and more monuments queued up and coming.

Thank you.

TJSkywindTJSkywindabout 4 years ago

Poor Jack! Yeah, there's more, too...

The reveal about the Soul Forge was interesting. Need a new destroyer? Ten thousand thralls into the ore bin to be burned alive to create the hull. Yikes! Yeah, that probably feeds good ol' Xar-aziuth a bellyful each time, adding more psychic cadaver chow to the abyssal plane wherein he lives. I'm thinking Xar must have gone to Miskatonic University in his youth... he's giving the Elder Gods a run for their money.

Thanks for sharing. 5* I'll be short on sleep at work today, for sure...

Slainté

Toolboxx84Toolboxx84about 4 years ago
Awesome

I don’t know if I want to be pissed or excited at the end of this chapter. All I know is I like it. Keep up the good work. Amazing story and characters

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Covid-19

Thank you Tefler, for your stories, which keep our hopes up during this time of crisis. We appreciate what you do.

Thank you

GR

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Re: TJSkywind

Wow I never realised you read TSM but I guess everyone does haha. Love your work on Starlight Gleaming!

realusmctazmanrealusmctazmanabout 4 years ago
Thanks for another great chapter!

It was awesome to see you put Alyssa's view on their battle between good and evil. Many won't understand that in a war there are only your side and the enemy..., yes, there are the innocent and you do not indiscriminately harm them, but the enemy you ruthlessly and utterly destroy. It is normal to have doubts and concerns, but you either win or die. Not many will understand this truth, unless they have been in a life of death situation or in actual combat. You good sir have either been there or have a great source to give you this insight.

It was great to see how "love" impacted the flow of energy at the end. Can't wait for the next chapter. Guess I will have to re-read the last 10 chapters to hold off the withdrawal symptoms and see what other Easter eggs you left us that I haven't found yet.

Thanks for sharing your work with us.

JT

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Advisory council?

John is a long way from being able to govern his section of the galaxy and what that might be when it is over or if he is around to govern, but if he does come out on top he'd be wise to get a group he trusts that is independent of his direct influence to advise him. I know he trusts his girls and matriarch's and queens (Lynette, Niskera) and they are always going to carry a lot of weight, but he needs some male and non ward females to keep him grounded. We've met some good prospects with Charles, Cerdan, Thandrun, Maria, Talari, (Nathan?) others we haven't met yet. John even with the Maliri has wanted to be sort of removed from control. When the fighting is done, he is going to be the holder and enforcer of the treaties in his section of the galaxy. He already is for the Maliri, Ashanath, Trankarans, and will be for the Terrans, Kintark, Brimorians/Abandoned, and smaller species soon. He also needs to get a belly full of cum into Tamolith sooner than later- gratitude for saving her kingdom will have a short shelf life.

john_sixfooterjohn_sixfooterabout 4 years ago
Damn, wow! The big reveal

Jack did not ask how John changed all the girls. That would have been awkward!

Excellent edition of a tremendous story! Love it!

ReadyOneReadyOneabout 4 years ago
Thank you!

I really appreciate the effort you've put into TSM. Reading the series has brightened my quarantine and helped bleed off some cabin fever. Stay safe, stay strong!

Gatekeeper_siGatekeeper_siabout 4 years ago
Excellent as always...

129 chapters in and I’m still as gripped by each chapter like he first ...

realusmctazmanrealusmctazmanabout 4 years ago
Question to all my fellow addicts

There was a change in some terminology from progenitor to Kyth'faren. To me it seems like Alyssa is Kyth'faren and John appears to be developing into one since he refused to follow Xar's path to power but is still claiming his birthright. Come on fellow addicts and let me know if I am too far out in left field with this.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago

Bravo, Tefler. You're consistently giving us 5-star installments, but every now and then you drop something that makes the rating system woefully inadequate. This was not simply engaging, but truly moving. Thank you.

-PacmanFever

OmniferisOmniferisabout 4 years ago
5 *'s

I love this story

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
And again...

It wasn't that long ago that John had to talk to Alyssa about her usurping his authority and she's doing it again. He explained to her how her example was leading the others to consider his orders optional leading to them putting the entire crew into danger and yet it's still happening. He told Dana he didn't want sexy maintenance bots but she made them anyway. That's not a big deal, but it IS indicative that she thinks she can get away with ignoring his wishes. She and Alyssa KNEW he wouldn't be happy about it so they planned to make it a done deal, bat their eyelashes, and plan on him letting it go. Dana KNEW she was doing something wrong because she didn't want him shaping the bots. She acted shifty handing over the holoreader, and guilty when he told her he knew she and Alyssa were up to something. John being 'more perceptive than usual' freaked them out and they asked Rachel for help. You don't freak out if you haven't done anything wrong. How did John react? He laughed about it. Ugh. He also DID let it go and let Rachel distract him despite seeing Dana turn her back and pretend to be focused on her work. That's only reinforcing the girls' belief that they can do as they please.

As I said, that's not a big deal but it is indicative of a problem. A MUCH bigger problem is the fact that Alyssa, on her own, COMMITTED THE LION OF THE TERRAN FEDERATION TO AN INSURRECTION AGAINST THE TERRAN FEDERATION! I understand, given her background and interactions with the Feds why she would feel this way, but to commit them to what many people will see is treason is WAAAAYYY past being headstrong. She also didn't explain to the Tasmaris governor that they had other fish to fry and that they wouldn't be a priority. So now if the fecal matter does hit the rotating blades, the rebels will expect the Lion to defend them when they have no intention of doing so and will rightly feel betrayed when they don't show up. And the Federation will feel betrayed by them supporting insurrection. With one fell swoop Alyssa will have managed to convince BOTH sides that they can't be trusted. Great job.

I hate to say it but John is going to have to come down HARD on her for this. Alyssa will cry and truly be remorseful, but he JUST had this conversation with her and she doesn't seem to have learned at all. The fact that he just keeps letting it go is only proving to the girls that his wishes ARE optional and no amount to him talking to them about it is going to change that opinion. I can tell someone to stop stealing my wallet, but if the only thing I do when I catch them is tell them not to do it again they will rightly ignore me. He pointed out that her bad example was rubbing off on the girls and we see it again here. Dana gets caught, calls Alyssa for help, Alyssa calls on Rachel and all three of them work together to do as they please. I'm not saying he's gotta beat her or anything ridiculous like that, but there DOES have to be consequences; a ship can only have one Captain. Perhaps John shutting her out of his mind for a week or two outside combat situations would demonstrate that if he can't trust her, she doesn't get the perks of that trust. And he should DEFINITELY consider her committing him to insurrection to be the favor he owes her. He HAS to do something; it's getting easier and easier for the girls to ignore his wishes and that will end badly if not checked. Sakura almost died at Terra because she 'lawyered' his wishes to suit her own.

I hope this comes off as constructive criticism because that is how it is intended. Like any media, 90% is crap so you cherish the 10% that is actually good. The fact that you have written a story SOOOOO long that has so few plot holes is remarkable and I eagerly await the next part. Thank you Tefler.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Gracias merci danke thanks

Another great chapter in a crazy world

Appreciate al your work.

Martin

BigDog167BigDog167about 4 years ago
Another great chapter.

Great as always.

Just a thought, negative energy from killing thralls makes the black metal, shouldn't there be a way to strengthen the white with positive energy? Say from a massive orgy with all the girls.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago

minor correction: t-rexes are from the cretaceous period, not the jurassic

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Rusthemod & Gratitude & 55 Astral Questions, Too Clever By A Half

During my educational training, it has always been helpful to make a list of questions to guide the learning process. Implementing this old habit made sense with the TSM fantasy because of the growing number of wonderful chapters. Have been developing a list of questions for a number of the major TSM constructs while re-reading TSM. Please accept my appreciation and thanks for your responses to 52 of the 55 questions. I will look forward to the forthcoming chapters providing insights to the remaining three questions.

Question 03: Is it possible there are additional planes more advanced than the AP?

Question 53: In ch121, p.16, Rahn’hagon questions the source of John’s strength. John communicates his disrespect to Rahn’hagon for being spineless and a gutless coward? Will John and Rahn’hagon eventually learn the answers to their individual questions from one another?

Question 55: In ch126, pp. 13-14, will John, Alyssa, and Tashana discover the Kyth’faren secrets in the castle found by Rahn’hagon?

As an anonymous reader posting in the “Public Comments” area, I am limited to one post per chapter. It is for this reason I am expressing my appreciation to you (i.e., Rusthemod) in ch129 for the April 19, 2020 post titled 55 Astral Plane Questions. I was also please to learn that Tefler has approximately 3600 patrons and is earning very close to $6,000 per chapter. Tefler’s creativity is definitely deserving of these numbers. Congratulations!

Too Clever By A Half: Years ago while attending a favorite author’s presentation, an attendee asked the famous author a number of very analytic questions. The author kindly responded with the words: “You are being to logical.” I believe Rusthemod’s words (i.e., nuance, foreshadowing, esoteric; April 21) are a positive reminder for a reader in his/her approach to Tefler’s TSM fantasy as well to living our personal lives.

Information & Offer: Rusthemod’s description of the Discord Channel and the offer to support Tefler as a patreon is an opportunity I may pursue sometime in the future. Currently, my circumstances can best be described as “up in the air.” Thanks for your professional description of the political background related to troll posts, Rusthemod.

Congratulations on another creative chapter, Tefler.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Thanks for sharing...

Epic reading, thanks again for sharing your world with us

twinkitwinkiabout 4 years ago
Thank you

3 square meals from you is not enough for me.. FOUR square meals would be better. I really enjoyed every chapter you write. Once again, thank you for sharing your story with us.

ojanzi1ojanzi1about 4 years ago
Before I start reading...

So read the first page or so and the reality behind the soul forges has come, we all knew that it would affect Allysa, but wow!!

Time to put forward the suggestion that they could use the same technology to create their own ships and because we all know "the power of love" is stronger(been proven through out the story,) it would take less energy and the Malari would not have to give their lives

I hate to say I told you so, but this would be the perfect time for an Ashanth matriarch, imagine all that untapped physic energy

One other thing, we also know why the Bolton originally called Allysa "young one" but later changed to "bright one" it was a refrece to her physic aura, anyway back to reading!!

ShagamiteShagamiteabout 4 years ago
Thank you

Special. Please don't make me wait too long for the next fix.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Thabk you

Once again a very entertaining read, please please do not stop writing

lanncerlanncerabout 4 years ago
the funniest chapter so far.

Thank you for this. Really helps especially with the quarantine going on.

"pink shields up"

5 stars

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Soap Opra

Dang you Soap Opra writer!!!! Got me on the edge of my seat and you leave of with a cliff hanger!!! Always a great story and can't wait for the next chapter. Just to let you know you dominate one whole page on my tablet, so I can see when you post your next extraordinary chapter. Please never stop highlight of my days when you post the next chapter.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago

Sorry, but the anal rehash was not romantic, just raunchy and too much. Although very non-sequitur, interesting piece about the black metal streaking and what happened to it, along with the subsequent investigation. That's the kind of thing worth reading more about about, leaving out more opinions about how the sex was, etc. Out of place to joke about fucking Helene while docked and that destroying a Progenitor ship. Just not funny and not even practical. However, taking Helene into battle and having her make a critical dent in the black metal at a critical time would be an interesting read.

That said, it could segue into something else much more than Alyssa's obvious and growing mental instability, especially to freak out that much to something so little--and given what are supposed to be her formidable psychic shields. Obviously you won't have a progenitor exploit that weakness of hers and give her the "mindfuck" she could have, that she casually jokes about with Jack at the end. Would actually be a natural evolution and a real conflict for once. Talk about the right kind of karmic payback. Even several other posters rightly pointed to Alyssa being much too out of control and Zelig being completely right: Alyssa had no right to browbeat him over him rightfully waving yellow flags to say "you guys aren't infallible, so you need to watch yourselves," because that's precisely what would happen in this kind of story. What's most important is that Jack cautions both Alyssa and John similarly, but then Alyssa lambasts him into submission when the situation of having multiple engagements isn't realistic despite all that "suffering." The worst thing is that it's obvious what's going on, but they still hide how the "change" works, making them all very unsympathetic characters for propagating the charade via misdirection and justification.

Respectfully disagreeing, but Calara stopped being Jack's "little girl" a long time ago. She seriously disrespects her father and his moral code, castigating him. It's unfortunate that the true Latin dynamic has never been employed here, as the dad always has the last word, and while a "good" Latina can be a little "sexier" and show a little more skin and playfully flaunt what she may have, she can never cross her dad like that, nor disrespect her dad like that (the minimum that would have happened was a sharp slap to her face in life)--it's a huge insult on every level imaginable and just watching any Latino-based series or movie (even a comical one like "Fools Rush In") demonstrates the above exposition well. Calara has changed in some ways for the better and yes, for purposes of this story is a major lynchpin (no doubt about that). However, that she's still his little girl stopped once she accepted the path she's on and it's also obvious there's no turning back. So no, cannot buy any of the exchange with Jack as authentic. I will say that John is drawn as a more sympathetic figure during the course of this exchange, and he has time to explain (sadly not sharing the whole truth) how he's "helped" the girls...although a real Latino father would castrate him on the spot (or try, in this story and fail) for how much he did to his "little girl." The best that could be hoped for normally would be for him to grudgingly accept it, but never give his blessing.

Interesting sidelight with the Outer Rim colonists and dealing with a possible thorn in the side at all the hinting of some breaking away--which could pose a bigger headache at the wrong time when no one expects it.

How they reclaim the lifeless thrall ships will prove interesting to see how that's written out, as we know there's one exceptionally ruthless Progenitor out there with a thrall equal to Alyssa in some ways.

Steve150177Steve150177about 4 years ago
"Seeped?" As in the souls of 10,000 thralls 'seeps' into the the black metal? You meant steeped, right.

But, even steep is not right. You need a more forceful word.

Someone said 'infused'.

I was thinking 'crushed', but this isn't right either.

Burned?

Jamed?

Squeezed?

Pressed?

???? ?

Or maybe rewrite the whole sentence because no word there can do justice to the pain and evil it represents.

And, this is my favorite story here. So, I hope you take this as constructive.

BizarreSmallsBizarreSmallsabout 4 years ago
Seriously?

This is the only story I come to lit for anymore. I took a break for a while so you'd have a few chapters out when I checked again (there were 2), and you leave me hanging with THIS DANG CLIFFHANGER!!! What is wrong with you, Tef? I NEED MY FIX!!!!!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Helene's love rune

I wonder if there is a rune or runic phrase for the love based power Helene used to change the black metal (unintentionally). It could be useful to layer such a rune or rune based phrase on top of the other runic phrases they use to attack or defend against other progenitors, psychic monsters and even Xar.

Also, in ch. 128 John shows a hemisphere of runes with the power infusing rune at the center. I wonder if there is another half of that completing a full sphere, with more runes that could represent the inexplicable powers the girls possess such as electricity, computer hacking, black hole, etc. It could also have another critical lynchpin rune on the center of the other hemisphere which might be very useful.

wolverine006wolverine006about 4 years ago
Editing correction (old)

I'm not sure if this one has already been corrected yet or not (being literotica and the problems with editing an already posted work), but I figured you'd want it corrected before publishing if it isn't.

"They stepped into the anti-gravity field, then dropped down in the soft blue glow to Deck Two and the corridor leading to their quarters." ~Ch 64, pg 1

"soft blue glow" should read "soft red glow".

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Fantastic story

I love the story. The pacing in some sections could use some work to speed it up. Please keep writing more, looking forward reading more.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
5 stars as always

11 pages of greatness. I assume you are bringing Faye back, but I really need her now

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
A great read but not often enough.

I need one of these stories at least twice a day. I think BizarreSmalls said it best. I've gotten to the point I really care for each of John's girls and him as well. They're all good people doing the best they can to help others. As for the comments about a Latino doing something against her father, every parent makes mistakes and if they're to small to accept that they're a bad parent. She stood up to him when she had no other option if she wanted to have him and those she loves remain in her life. Italian families are quite similar to Latino families in it's vital to respect our parents, but some times you have to take a stand even if that means you're no longer part of that family.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Fantastic work!

I keep being amazed more and more as this story continues.

May we all be the same for many more to come.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Discombobulated.

There I was,,, trapped in a small home, the backyard the saltwater of the North Atlantic, Newfoundland,, for an entire winter, 2017,,, and I found "Three Square Meals". I read all the way through to,, I don't know,, Chapter 90 or so ? and then for 2 years,, chapter,, by chapter,,, Arghhh!! Twisted around in December ,, and then I began to re-read the entirety beginning with Chapter 1. Hey,, we watch movies sometimes twice. But now I have caught up again,,,, I hafta wait for the next chapter? Arghhh !!

UltimateHomeBodyUltimateHomeBodyabout 4 years ago

A rare treat to read this series. Look forward to the next chapter, as always.

HiddenMemoriesHiddenMemoriesabout 4 years ago
Just caught up, wanted to share my thoughts

After 3 weeks of almost non-stop reading, I've finally caught up on this series, and I can easily say that this is one of the best long-form stories I've read, up there with ASoIaF, The Wheel of Time, and the Riftwar Cycle. This is an incredibly complex universe filled with a multitude of incredibly diverse characters with a storyline that puts most published stories to shame, and I have thoroughly enjoyed reading this series.

My thoughts on the various characters are incredibly mixed, just as they should be for these extremely well-built characters.

John blake is a good man who isn't strong enough to lead this corner of the galaxy in a galaxy-wide war. He relies far too heavily on Alyssa and Edreale, rarely making a good active decision that will lead the empires and the Invictus crew to victory in this new Progenitor war. He allows Alyssa to push him into doing things that he wouldn't even consider otherwise, such as supporting the outer rim colonies in rebellion against the Terran Federation. His past experiences at Galon Prime, and alongside how supportive he's been of providing greater aid and infrastructre developments along the Outer Rim, would make him vehemently oppossed to the idea without Alyssa going behind his back, as she always does.

Since Alyssa has come into her own, she has constantly used her powers for vigilantism, believing herself to be the ultimate form of righteousness in the galaxy. I agree wholeheartedly with what Admiral Zelig said to her in their conversation. Her empathy does not extend beyond her line of sight, leaving her completely blind to those who are still working for the good of humanity. And yet, at the same time, she suddenly respects Devereux and Lina because of their places as potential pieces of fuckmeat for Blake and Harris. It's a dichotomy that I'm surprised she hasn't yet suffered for since gaining her powers. Admiral Zelig said that she sees everything in black and white terms, an observation I agree wholeheartedly with. Her first thought when meeting Fat Tony again was to cause him pain and suffering before he dies, completely neglecting the fact that amongst the thousands living on Karron, only him and two prostitutes managed to survive. Instead of asking any of the survivors what had happened and how they had managed to survive, she instantly jumped to causing him untold pain and suffering before murdering him. This shows that she completely lacks the ability to be impartial and make any sort of judgement without instantly jumping to conclusions. I strongly believe that Alyssa is the worst character in the Invictus Crew based on just these reasons alone, without even talking about her manipulations of John and the rest of the crew. Oh and also how she didn't really care too much about Faye while the rest of the crew adored her further shows her lack of empathy.

I just want to use this just after having talked about Tony to say how great the side characters are, in particular Tony, Kelli and Perl, as well as the 2nd best character in this series in Ryan Murphy. He's a beast.

The last character I wanted to share my thoughts on is Faye, the absolute best character in this series. She was exceptionally complex, and the evolution of Faye and Blake's relationship is one of the greatest things I've ever seen in media. All the other girl's relationships are inherently sexual in nature, and while the teasing and banter and everything else might be fun to read about, and as ironic as it is, they all felt far less real than what occured between John and Faye. Faye learnt about love not through some dashing rescue or by having her mind modified, but simply because John was worthy of being loved. Her death hit harder than any I've read about, and now that she's gone and the crew have accepted that, the series feels all the worse it. And that perfectly embodies this series going forward, as it has rapidly become much darker since the beginning of the Kirrix Invasion.

Now I want to say a quick word on the rather loose morals of this story, some things that I'm probably taking far too seriously due to the nature of this story in it being an erotica, but I just can't overlook. The constant references to adultery between Maria, Viv and Jack (as well as the crew's constant badgering about how much they want John to fuck Maria, including her own daughter, just feels incredibly uncomfortable) and now Lynette, Lina and Charles feels completely alienated between the quality of the writing and the actions of the characters.

Also, the plan for Lynette to settle for Charles until he dies before leaving to go to Maliri space to join John, the person she actually wants, was the biggest what the fuck moment in this whole story where I just could not believe what I was reading. It is incredibly unfair to Charles and I sincerely hope Lynette doesn't betray his love by immediately leaving Terra to go and be with John again. The whole Lynette-Charles situation is just an ugliness on this otherwise phenomenal space opera.

faye is best girl

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
The small parts are getting better and better

Before I thought the highlights were the big battles.

And the non battle and non action sections were a device to fill in the story arc and set up for more battles and conflict down the line

This chapter is non battle but has made the inner conflict of the characters at least as interesting as the battles. Was riveting.

Like Alyssa said - Goddamn, that was a rush.

TeflerTeflerabout 4 years agoAuthor
Re: HiddenMemories

Thanks for the lengthy feedback, it's always interesting to read how people perceive the characters and the storyline. :-)

Regarding Jack, Maria, and Viv... this was from chapter 32:

"Jack always had a thing for blondes and it looks like his daughter does too. We had some fun indulging my husband’s fantasies before all the kids came along,”

So they had something of an open marriage long before Calara was born. It's cropped up again in the story because Jack struggles with his daughter being in a relationship with John and the girls, even though he and Maria had slept with Viv. Calara shining a light on his hypocrisy helped him come to accept her relationships.

John is strongly attracted to Maria, a woman roughly his own age, who he admires greatly as a loving wife and mother. He would never dream of doing anything with her that would put her marriage in jeopardy... and Maria knows this, which is why she feels safe flirting with him. The girls tease him about his crush on Maria because they're all very open about their sexuality and know he's too much of a boy scout to actually pursue an affair with her.

I'm sorry if that makes you uncomfortable, but none of the people involved have been hurt by their harmless flirtation. Jack might have been upset if he was a jealous man, but considering the way Maria had given him multiple threesomes with her blonde best friend, it would be a bit unfair.

I won't comment on the Charles/Lynette/Lina relationship, because there's more about that coming up in future chapters. :)

Tefler

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
So many spinning plates

I had completely forgotten about the Maliri going to save the Kintark. This was a refreshing chapter, normally it can be tedious to have an author catch up on all that information but this was enjoyable

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Amazing

I’ve loved this story from page one. Please keep pumping out this amazing tale.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Alyssa

I think some folks are forgetting just how young Alyssa is. She often reacts as an 18yr old would. In some ways she is still immature---she is idealistic in some ways and doesn't see the grey like she will after a few centuries. In addition despite what John has done to and for her, she is still a Progenitor's Matriarch. Her function is to guide/control thralls (now wards) and supply more girls. She can't and won't stop her recruitment. Plus she is going to be a sex machine for the rest of her existence (as long as she is connected to John). She is fiercely loyal to John's chosen family, and everyone else is an outsider deserving respect on a case by case basis. I think some of that is also progenitor instinct driven. Also, deep down, she is still a Karron orphan. Calara, Rachel, and Sukara (mentally in the 20's) despite being the same age, seem to be the more mature in their outlook. They had families who loved and cared about them---even if they were mad and rebellious (in Rachel's case), but they all had gotten thru the high school stage and were beginning/working towards a career and independence. Alyssa and Dana on the other hand were on their own in a harsh existence and have a black and white view because of a survival mentality. Dana because of recognized talent had great value and was a little more insulated than Alyssa was. I think that drives a little insecurity that Alyssa hides very well.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Where is Rahn?

I thought Rahn was trying to get to John by using his wormhole generator which takes 12 hours to recharge. It has been well past 12 hours now, where is he? I'm curious to see how round 2 of their meeting will go.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Just Finished, Awesome

I had lots of fun reading this. Thanks a lot.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Tefler Sexy Magician.... TSM

Tefler gave us two amazing chapters almost back to back. Thanks.

I usually bing read novels, But with TSM, I sip it like wine, savouring, and enjoying each moment. Hopefully the wait for chapter 130 will not be very long..

anonymouse2020anonymouse2020about 4 years ago
More Alyssa...Foreshadowing something...

This discussion of Alyssa as a teenager who was abandoned and then abused is pretty interesting. It twigged my memory to a short scene that I found in chapter 128 where Helene was talking about her with John....

“I’m not really, but the flirting and teasing is fun ... I can see why Alyssa does it all the time.”

John groaned and shook his head. “Don’t remind me.”

Helene watched him slip on his jacket, then said quietly, “Sometimes, the things she says ... it makes me think she doesn’t really want to be that way.”

“This is Alyssa we’re talking about, right?” he asked, raising an eyebrow. “She’s been a relentless tease for almost as long as I’ve known her.”

“I’m probably wrong; I’ve only known her for a few weeks,” Helene conceded

That felt like foreshadowing of some sort of interesting depth and changes that Alyssa may be finding. Probably another three chapters out; Tefler does drop hints like this pretty early in a lot of cases.

Perhaps some of her black and white thinking ... and her willingness to rather callously exterminate enemies (especially thralls of other progenitors) are going to cone up later along with things like this?

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Beautiful

Amazing series. Can't wait for the rest to come out.

hillcountrycowboyhillcountrycowboyabout 4 years ago
Comments on Alyssa

I agree with anonymouse2020 that there is a lot of foreshadowing or “scene setting” going on concerning Alyssa. But she’s not quite as heartless as she is being made out to be, remember her self-doubt after she examined the admirals in T-Fed High Command, and the senior admiral who had been forced to have an abortion as a young woman showed as “guilty”? Alyssa was horrified and concerned that she might have likewise condemned others by mistake.

Steve150177Steve150177about 4 years ago
Alyssa can read minds. She needs to make this clearer.

I think that most people don't understand that the whole point of a fair trial (in many cases) is just to create a record of the evidence that makes the punishment deserved.

Alyssa can't do this. She knows for sure for sure who is guilty and how bad they were.

She can't document this to others though.

She will have to prove to them that she can read minds, if they doubt her.

She needs to be ready with an 'elevator' speech to justify her actions for each new Admiral or other questioner.

The readers here also don't grasp or grok just what Knowing For Sure For Sure does to your mind set. All doubt is gone, poof.

As for her heartlessness towards enemy thralls, she has no choice.

In WWII did Americans worry much about the Germany soldiers they killed, no.

This was even less so for the Japanese soldiers they killed.

Who worries about dead pirates? The Federation will execute them anyway.

The thralls can't surrender. They will fight to the death. They are mind controlled to do exactly that. Therefore, what choice do the Lion and Lionesses have in this situation.

OTOH, they do feel bad for those thralls who are killed by their Progenitor.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
@steve150177

I totally agree with your points. I thought your comment on fair trial was an interesting perspective I had not thought of before. But I do think that the reason for fair trial should be taken a lot further than just a record of evidence. A fair trial by a jury of your peers is the key. The jury is made of all sorts of different people with different backgrounds which forms their different biases. In total, this will eliminate the overall bias and help to provide a fair and impartial judgement on the situation. Also, by comparing trial to a record, it implies that they can be re-evaluated in the case of an error. Trials are not able to be brought back to court because of double jeopardy, or the fifth amendment.

To connect this back to the story, the problem comes about when Alyssa is the judge, jury, and executioner. Because she is the only one involved, her bias is the only one impacted the specific case. I’m not saying the people she has killed don’t deserve it, but I am saying that I believe this is where people like admiral Zelig get their doubts.

*slight disclaimer* I am from the US and am not familiar with other courts or how they are in the story

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Chapter 130

No that chapter 132 is posted. The wait for 130 begins....

Steve150177Steve150177about 4 years ago
Alyssa's elevator speech

One possible example of Alyssa's elevator speech.

(q) Admiral, I can read minds. I *know* without any doubt at all who is guilty and how terrible the things they did were. I can assure you that every one was guilty and almost every Federation citizen would agree that the punishment was justified.

I'll prove I can read minds with a simple demonstration. Think of 3 numbers between 1 and a 1000. I will read your mind and tell you what they were. ...pause... Do you have them?...pause... They are 352, 725, and 3. [An example, and of course, they are all correct and in the right order.]

We kill far more than you even know about. However, they were all pirates or were soldiers without minds who are fighting to the death, like the Kirrix. In battles it is them or us, we make sure it is *not* **us** who die.

Let me ask you, “Do you think you have the power to stop us?” And, “If you could stop us, given the threats to the Federation, do you think this is your best option?”

So, it all comes down to '”Can you trust the *Lion* and *me*?” (/q)

Horseman68Horseman68about 4 years ago
Another Chapter in this Great Story.....

..... that after almost 130 absorbing chapters, the crew seems like part of a readers life. Good to see some of their personal issues sorted. Still awaiting the story to sort out the Faye situation so looking forward to things moving ahead.

Have a question noted in Page 3 when John and the girls were trying to figure out the black metal and talking about telepathy. Believe that Jade said that she could only read John’s mind. Do not John and his three matriarchs communicate telepathically constantly? Clarification please?

hillcountrycowboyhillcountrycowboyabout 4 years ago
Jade’s telepathy

Horseman68, I think what Jade meant is that while she and the other two matriarchs can communicate telepathically, and constantly do, John’s mind is the only mind Jade can read. That is, she hears what the other matriarchs say, and (I assume) feel, but she can’t read any thoughts they don’t share. She can read John’s mind because he allows his matriarchs constant access, except for times he specifically excludes them. I’m open to correction if anyone has more info. Hope I didn’t just muddy the water more.

Thanks Tef! This quite an odyssey!!

jwmcleanjwmcleanabout 4 years ago

i keep coming back to see if another chapter dropped almost ruins my day when I dont see a new one.

AlunCarregTheWelshmanAlunCarregTheWelshmanalmost 4 years ago
20-12-2015 is when it started

WOW has it been 4 1/2 yrs in this gripping sifi tail , and you've only got 8 months into the story, lets hope that in the next 5 yrs (then i'll be 75) the story comes to fruition or i'll have to find a way of cryonics. one of the best stories on the web 5*****s all the way

Horseman68Horseman68almost 4 years ago
Jade’s telepathy.

Thanks hillcountrycowboy. Having thought it through a bit more, believe that you certainly are correct about Jade’s mind reading — subject of course to “higher” correction. When they first met, to transfigure into his ideal woman, Jade immediately read into John‘s mind. She can/does not do that with either of the other matriarchs nor the girls.

When first started to do a quick read of a sci-fi story named TSM never ever imagined the world entered.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
re horseman and hillcountry

You forget, she can tell what her sisters are thinking.

prophet58prophet58almost 4 years ago
Alyssa

She is basically John's Arbiter of Justice. Everyone keeps referring to his godlike mind and powers. So if his is in effect godlike, then to him the reality is black and white, right and wrong. She is basically his creation to carry out his idea of justice, however imperfect they both may be.

All Pantheons had someone to enforce their will.

By the way whether you want to believe it or not the world is black and white, good or evil.

Thanks Telfer,

Joel

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Please keep going

Love this story, please keep releasing chapters

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Next Chapter?.

Any idea when 130 will drop? I heard that 132 dropped on the pay site more than a week ago. I just finished re reading it from the beginning again. This is amongst the best literary works I have ever read. Thank you Tefler.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Tags

lol I love the tags for this:

cum inflation – psychic – swallow – teenager

That does pretty much sum up this story hehe.

realusmctazmanrealusmctazmanalmost 4 years ago
Jonesing hard

I can barely wait. JT

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Health Check....

Tefler, you alright? Very unlike you to delay posting for this long.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
re: Jonesing hard

For me, it's not about the length of time waiting. I love the story, and one of my very few virtues is patience. Wait time can be anywhere from 3-6 weeks which I'm fine waiting for, especially since art and genius can't be rushed. I do, however, start to get fidgety when the wait goes passed an assumed release date. I've been using Patreon release news on new chapters as an indication when to expect the older chapters here. It was my understanding that Patreon users were 2 chapters ahead of us cheapskates. Maybe I'm misinterpreting, but Patreon seems to show chapter 132 was released 3 weeks ago? I started to get anxious during the last 3 weeks because I assumed the older chapter was going to released here soon.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
When it cums to TSM

Assume nothing

hpinghpingalmost 4 years ago
133

Is now for the first part on Patreon. The release date is according to Tefler at the end of the month and I assume it will be June as May is nearly over.

That means that we can hope that 130 will be out in the near future, about 3 to 4 weeks. I hope it will be sooner, but only Tefler will know the answer to that question.

TeflerTefleralmost 4 years agoAuthor

I'm just wrapping up the latest chapter, then I'll post chapter 130 on here. It's a double-sized chapter, so hopefully it will keep you entertained for a while!

Tefler

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
My Concerns

Okay, first i have to say that i really love this story. It is such a incredibly potent blend of sci fi and a good plot( yes i feel most sci fi basically ignores an actual plot beacuse... THEY'RE IN SPACE). You keep us hooked with this masterful piece even though we dont pay to get it, ignore anyone who tries to bring you down.

So i want to try to positively criticize some of the things that concern me in this amazing series.

1. JOHN

John would not be my favourite character, if i were to pick one, but he his the main character and i have grown fond of him. He his a overall nice guy amd tries to do what he truly feels his right and you cant ask for more in a human beimg. My problem with john is that over the course of the series he has proven that he his simply Alyssa's lapdog willing to do a flip at anytime she sanps her fingers and stares at her with her cerulean eyes. I know this is blatant exaggeration but you get the point, i jist want him to be.... you know THE MAIN CHARACTER . Also for someone who was in the miloyary he seems wholly content with making the most illogically unstrategic decisions at times but at least he his trying to acquire the ghost fleet is the right initiative, so he's getting better.

2. ALYSSA!!!!!!!

I dont want to group charactera according to most or least favourite, so Alussa occupies a special positon as my only categorised character. To me she is the wprst character in the series, or rather i really do not like her character. Why, well

Alyssa started out at the beginning of the storg as nobody to really like as well as nobody to really hate, then she underwent the change and the whole psychic enchancements that she was gifted with, still she was bright and bubbly amd sympathetic of people who were suffering and she tried her best to help them( even more if this person was a hot bangable babe). But then over several chapters i started to notice a subtle shift in her character, I am not the most perceptive of persons when it comes to the small details but i usually feel this changes in character or stories plot but ignore them most of the time unknowingly, but the shift i felt in Alyssa's character was so great that i felt this as an unignorable swing from my usual supportive indifference towards her character to absolute resentment and i could not for the life of me figure out why. It took careful dissection of the scenes to notice why i started disliking this character. Which basically boils down to:

a) Alyssa justice: This hopelessly black and white judgement of everyone and anyone she feels deserves it to simply because she now truly believes she is at a much higher position than the rest of "common" humanity, therfore the only one truly capable of judging them. The ones she marks as "not evil "she treats with friendly though removed kindness (Basically what you feel when you dont want to kill someone but dont really care much about them). While the ones she marks as evil she treats like cattle to be slaughtered in any way or form. I agree with the decisions she has made so far but the fact that she ruthlessly defends it rather than seeing it has something that just has to be done AND JUST THAT(am not saying she does not) is the best and most staright rojte to personal moral corruption as the lines between who should be eliminated and who commited a imprisonment offence blur, yes she can read minds and know who is truly evil but i feel that essentially she will become more and more intolerant of any behaviour she is not okay with or doesnt just like.

b)Authority issues: I hate that she constantly upends johns authority. John is the captaim of that ship, so he leads the team, his no shoild be no and his yes should be yes. But know Alyssa basically makes his no, "well i know him too well, so i'll do it". Now its serioisly rubbing off on the girls. This is subtle mutiny but unfortunately John does not realise this. This disregard for his authority beginning from Alyssa and spreading to Sakura(in the MECH SITUATION) and even Dana(just recently with the whole boobs on robots thing) will lead to serious consequences if the story progresses organically.

3. Free will:

So basically ive been thinking do the girls really have free will not in terms of their action but i terms of their "love" of John. It seems to me that this girls do not really love John deep down but are being made to think they do due to the change. It is blatantly obvious thag this is the case after i gave it a real thought. For example, sparks is saved from Karron early on in the story, the most she feels for john is gratitude and aplreciations but ends up undergling the cahnge and the BOOM! She loves John. But this is not love this is psychic wiring. It also irks me that even do John thlight of this several times even becoming depressed somewhat, but does not for one second think of actually removing all or most of the mental changes the change makes. Beacause i am really sure if he did that the fall the girls woild experience in their feelings for him would shake their relationship to him, i'm not saying they might not have true genuine feelings for him now, but what they have now is forced,no matter how you look at it, until john breaks all the mental rewiring and lets them decide

Also, the series seems to talk a lot aboit the power of love and it seems it will play a huge role in the coming battles. But is this realistic, when most of the love is fake, manipulated and forced through mental wiring.

4. Dying Righteous morality

Okay, so this bothers me a lot because back in the ol Days, the team was killing pirates and drakkar who desrveded it. Now we are taliking about genocide. Like, the hell!!!

There is no way there entire race can be fit more extermintion!!!

This has brought me to the end of my critique

And thanks again for this story

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Nice!

Thanks Tefler, I can't wait!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Thanks

Thank you tefler!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Thanks for the update Tefler

A double will be nice. Those usually have the most action or shocking story progression so I'm all in!

treblaniaktreblaniakalmost 4 years ago
Yess!!

a 2 fer 1 size lmao

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Amazed!

I am blown away by your amazing storytelling ability!

I will await Chapter 130 with bated breath. Kudos!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Tefler message?

Seems it has been removed?

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Wait a little bit more...

Apparently Tefler has decided to complete ch 133 with a few more scenes and we the freeloaders have to wait.... Remember ch 130 is a double.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Points to ponder

And now for a bunch of random thoughts:

Alyssa and Rachel really need to work on their shields (as well as Sakura and Tashana)! If they can make them totally reflective then their shields would reflect any and all energies directed at them back to the source! This would attack the source of the energy thus drawing energy from the energy source in countering the returned energy! This would drain their enemies instead of draining their own energy supply trying to dissipate said energy!!!

Sarinia does NOT deserve immortality and needs to be made eminently aware of the suffering she subjected her sisters to. Only after that should she even be allowed to be connected to Edraele!!! Still think that after she has bonded to Edraele she should be sent to the Larathyran empire as an administrator, to help them cope with the devastating loss of all adult women especially since the women seem to wield the power there, like the Maliri culture (and probably the rest of the progenitor controlled empires)

With the Invictus able to travel more than twice the speed of ANY other ship, including progenitor ships, and if it is true that the bow wave generated by the Invictus is potentially devastating to any other nearby ships, (ie: VERY DANGEROUS) I would think this could actually be a very effective weapon for use against the progenitor fleets, especially if it would destroy the thrall ships, even if it wouldn’t destroy the progenitor dreadnought. I am also contemplating the stresses involved in engineering an entirely new round for the singularity drivers. What would happen to the shields and hulls of enemies’ ships when struck by extremely massive hardened hypervelocity shells launched from the Invictus when traveling a maximum speed!!! Hyperwarp plus Invictus speed = Demolition derby!

Regarding the Astral rune “alphabet” it brings to mind Anne McCaffrey’s series about FT&T, (Federated Telepaths and TELEPORTERS) and with Alissa and Edraele’s telepathic abilities why they aren’t working on developing their teleportation abilities! I would think that the Kyth'faren would have become masters of this technology as well as clairvoyance when they mastered the rest of the psionic powers such as empathy, telepathy, telekinesis, electrokinesis, pyrokinesis, precognition, the ability to heal, and to find what is lost ('finders'), to say nothing of Dana’s abilities (ability to detect the atomic structure of items she wants to study, to repair integrated circuits and boards as well as the crystalline structure of the Invictus, and create black holes)

Regarding the effects of Helene’s abilities on the soul forged (soul stolen?) black material I think a LOT more research needs to be done, especially about just how Helene is able to purge/cleanse the material and release the trapped souls, or at least their residue. As the shuttle is an “Ascendancy class infiltration shuttle... strictly for Progenitor use only” then it should have the same level armor as the dreadnaught, giving Dana and Helene a great source of material to experiment on, to find out the best way to cleanse the material without destroying it! And once cleansed could the new “love forged” material be made even more resilient by repeated reforgings?

It seem clear that Gahl'kalgor is returning to Arcadia as the only planet under the shroud’s influence that he has been to. He is building his hyper-warp gate to bring his fleet through to start his war of conquest and destruction. Rahn also seems to be in the same system, obviously shielded and cloaked. I do hope Rahn decides to cast his support with John, and takes steps to neutralize the advantage that Gahl'kalgor’s hyper-warp gate would give him. I would hope that Rahn would wait until the gate was almost finished and Gahl'kalgor has left for the last load. As it takes 12 hours to recharge the wormhole generator it would give Rahn plenty of time to wipe out first all the protecting warships, then the construction support, and finally the gate itself. At least this would slow the invasion to a crawl!

Wolrab “🐝”

FrikaFrikaalmost 4 years ago
Anticipation plus.

Pretty sure i can say we are all awaiting TSM 130. Double chapter? We are so getting spoilt again.. now im checking 3 times a day, hoping.. maybe it will be posted...your the best Teffler. 👍

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Mark your calanders for Ch. 133

Mark your calendars for Ch. 133 because it's a doozy and its not even finished yet. Ch. 134 has been in the planning for a while (years) so expectations are monumental.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Withdrawal symptoms

It’s been over a month. Hope the next chapter is up soon.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Damns

This is sweet I love its plz hurry with next chapter

IndecentMinivanIndecentMinivanalmost 4 years ago
Finally Caught Up On Literotica

This series is amazing and I’ve been reading it non stop since the beginning of the pandemic (late March). I FINALLY caught up. Thank you for sharing this epic story.

Some of my favorite moments was when you introduced the Battlemech, the Battle for Terra and when Alyssa’s cousin escaped Karron.

I’m still a bit sore from he loss of Faye and have hopes that you bring her back but I sense the story has moved on from that at the moment.

Thanks again. I will buy every hard copy you make available and support you on Patreon. This series is mind blowing. And that’s without even discussing the sex!

Horseman68Horseman68almost 4 years ago
Loss of Faye - One Year.

Just re-read this chapter and realized that it has been over a calendar year since we lost Faye. That occurred in Chapter120/page11 with the attack on the Invictus posted here on 28Apr19.

A lot has occurred since, and suspect it will not happen in the coming Chapter 130, but need her back soonest.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Desperate need!!!!!

Please post the next chapter soon I need it the wait is killing me.

THANK YOU!!!!!

hillcountrycowboyhillcountrycowboyalmost 4 years ago
Jonesing for a new chapter!

Here’s the philosophy I (try to) use to quell my impatience. When two or three chapters are closer together than average, then necessarily a larger gap is coming. So whether it’s a short or a long wait, it all averages out.

Reminding myself of that quells my impatience, for about 5 minutes. Then I’ve got the shakes again. I’m re-reading from the very beginning, and when the next chapter drops, I’ll try to resist temptation and wait until I get to it. Maybe there’ll be two new chapters by then! I’ve re-read TSM from the beginning twice, and jumped back to around chapter 50 or so several times. Reading the preceding chapter again before reading a new chapter is another way to draw out the pleasure.

Thanks Tef!! The quality of the story and the writing has done nothing but improve!

I’m waiting for the story to be complete (hopefully never) then I’m going to jump to the e-books and see how the “new & improved” versions are!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Re: My Concerns

I appear to have accidentally written a dissertation

TL; DR

1. Everyone is still mentally adjusting to the scale and consequences of their situation. With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility.

2. There are narrative reasons for Alyssa's bad behavior.

3. John has been a nuturing and caring partner to all of the girls, and has removed Progenitor compulsions and granted free will at every opportunity.

4. Helene is the key to all this - she is the least morally compromised of the crew and has a unique ability to facilitate others' character development. She also has the most standing in regards to the Brimorian Situation.

Tefler has been good at planning, thinking through implications, and writing long-running arcs.

JOHN

One thing to remember is that John's circumstances have changed drastically. He's gone from an essentially powerless civilian trader scraping by one deal at a time to the absolute pinnacle of wealth and power in the space of about a year (in story time). For 40 years of his life he's been more or less an average guy, so he's having to rapidly adjust and come to terms with the whole "with great power comes great responsibility" thing. To his credit, he's starting to do so with the Maliri in the last few chapters, and with building the whole multispecies alliance. Let me restate this for emphasis: he's gone from being nobody to being the single most powerful and influential person in multiple empires. There's going to be some growing pains - he's got to adjust from being a conventional tactical commander to being not only a psychically-enhanced powerhouse but also essentially the supreme strategic commander of alliance composed of trillions of beings.

This brings me to

ALYSSA

Remember this whole thing started out as a civilian crew on a freighter and then an old decommissioned warship. Discipline, naturally, is going to be lax since there was no real reason for it. Except, due to a twist of fate, it now matters a whole lot.

Progenitors don't really have this problem because Progenitor society is built to handle this authority from the ground up. Progenitors are raised from birth to be at the apex of their society. But John wasn't, and he's had to adapt his very conflicting values to his new role on the fly.

This is where Alyssa comes in, because she's a civilian, and very young at that. She's a poor orphan. She's never had any sort of responsibility or discipline before she met John. And John, since she was recruited as a civilian, has never held her to a military standard because she was never military so that standard didn't really apply, not to mention his concerns about overwriting her free will. This same situation applies to most of the crew except Calara and Rachel (because they are still in the military). It's an even thornier problem for Jade and Sakura, because he literally gave or restored their free will.

Herein lies the problem because, again, the situation has changed drastically. Lax discipline is all well and good on a simple civilian tradeship, but due to the rapid escalation of the stakes and power levels, the consequences are now on a galactic scale and their mentality is still adjusting. Incidentally, this is why Helene is now the most important character in the story, but I'll get to that more later.

Alyssa's decision making is not mediated by experience or any particular empathy. Her decision making was shaped by her upbringing: poor, powerless, and zero-sum scrapping for survival. Again, her situation is unrecognizable from her lived experience. So she defaults to black-and-white morality and making it up on the fly because it's all she's got. If you've ever watched the movie Chronicle, her situation is similar: a teenager who has received unfathomable power she is manifestly unprepared for (she's rather like John is this regard, too).

The situation on the outer rim is especially striking because it hits her close to home. She identifies strongly with the colonists, because they've been let down by the system just like she was. So now that she has the power to do something about it, she has intense motivation and a moral imperative to use it. Not to mention being emotionally upended by the depopulation of Karron, nearly getting killed in the Astral Plane, and getting to have a conversation with her dead parents. All of this has ratcheted her impulsiveness to 11 - she's been hit right in her emotional weak spot. This is one of the reasons Helene is going to be so important.

FREE WILL

This is a sticking point for John. He's reluctant to impose his will because, for a variety of reasons, the girls have never had much control over their lives. Alyssa and Dana were poor and powerless, the Nymphs were slaves to their nature, Sakura was literally a prisoner in her own body, Maliri society was hopelessly corrupt and unhealthy, and the Abandoned were de facto slaves, regardless of what their 'official' status is in the Brimorian Enclave.

Even with Calara, Rachel, Jehanna, and Lynette, who did have control of their lives, he was very careful to get their consent because he's got that moral standard.

So what has John done with his power? He's nutured and empowered literally every woman in his life.

Alyssa now has a purpose, family, and power

He's protected Calara's family and helped her to have a glittering career in the military

He rescued Dana from gang slavery, provided unconditional love, indulged and enhanced all her interests

He literally gave Jade free will, rescued her sisters, and broke her hardwired limits

Rachel is now the greatest doctor to ever live and has reconciled with her father after coming to terms with her mother's death

He saved Sakura from cyborg slavery and helped her with her grief

He's saved Irillith and Tashana's lives, rehabilitated their relationships with each other and their mother, and is improving Maliri society wholesale

He's restored Helene's fertility and made her feel useful and appreciated, which she hadn't had in her previous life

He healed Lynette, restored her youth, helped her achieve her dream and get with a man she loves

He saved Jehanna from Ganymede and she'll probably win journalism awards for all the exclusive interviews. He's also encouraged her to remain connected to her family.

He nutured, trusted, and encouraged Faye despite his initial prejudice against AI

He's also explicitly broken the original bonds because of the compulsion to obey built into them. I'm 100% confident that if he could eliminate all of the mental side effects of the bond he would. However, he's still adjusting to his new power and doesn't know how to use his subtler powers effectively. He's still being held back by his guide, and it's no coincidence that John's character development has very much derived from confrontations with his Progenitor nature.

None of the girls' love is fake or hardwired. Faye conclusively proved this, because he literally couldn't psychically effect her. Her love developed 100% naturally, and it was based on the love between John and the girls. And the girls all love him because of how much positive influence he's had on their lives.

Other Progenitors might 'hardwire' love, but John has consistently shown he's not like them.

Which brings me to

HELENE

who is now the most important person in the story. How many other Progenitors would have a use for a thrall with enhanced empathy? They don't care about peace, cooperation, or conciliation. They care about power.

But for John, Helene is the support structure holding up this whole endeavor. She is uniquely able to facilitate communication and character development by sharing emotions, both other peoples' and her own. This might not be directly useful to defeating a Progenitor, but it is incredibly useful to unifying the crew and John's alliance. When people don't understand, she can make them understand. She can soothe negative emotions and encourage positive ones. When Alyssa is being impulsive, Helene can calm her down. In fact, she hinted that she's already felt some of Alyssa's cognitive dissonance. When John is feeling guilty or conflicted, she can cheer him up. Helene is the catalyst for others' growth.

She's the one person who can sit down with the colonial governors and the Admiralty and help them feel each others' emotions. The Admiralty will feel the hurt and betrayal from the governors, and the governors will feel Lynette's remorse and earnest desire to make amends.

She's the one person who has the most standing to make decisions about the Brimorian Enclave. She's not compromised by combat and has always urged John to be careful in regards to making a judgment about the culpability of Brimorian society, even after all the hardship she's suffered because of them. The former Brimorian slave is the one with the moral high ground, and her unique psychic power is to broadcast her own feelings and influence to others. She's the moderating influence and conscience of the whole group. And now that the stakes are so high, they sorely need her for that. Helene is the brake that prevents John and the gang from sliding down the slippery slope.

If anyone made it this far, I appreciate you for indulging my English comp fever dream.

hpinghpingalmost 4 years ago
130

According to Tefler on the Discord site 130 will be posted tomorrow. Postdate= 2020-06-05:01:59.

So maybe in the weekend it will be up.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
One Three Threeeeeeeeeeeee

Oooh... Frustrating, Tefler... Please Release one there Zero.

lujon2019lujon2019almost 4 years ago

Near as I can tell the get posted here 60-90 days, give or take ten, after being posted on his patreon

Ch 130 should drop between June 15 to July 30

hopefully he can continue to make money on patreon as they are slowly purging porn of all stripes

hpinghpingalmost 4 years ago
130

Well, 133 is now complete and out on Patreon. So we can start the F5-brigade for 130, because Tefler promssed that 130 will be out soon after 133 is out for the paying readers. So the waiting game starts now for seriously.

TeflerTefleralmost 4 years agoAuthor
Chapter 130

I've submitted chapter 130 for moderation, so you can probably expect it to be up on Monday/Tuesday.

Tefler

12
Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userTefler@Tefler
Please see my Patreon page for the current progress on Three Square Meals. (I usually announce it here in the comments on the last chapter too!) https://www.patreon.com/user?u=3814558 I've added empire maps, as well as pics of the ships, guns, gear, and girls! *** ...

READ MORE OF THIS SERIES