Trivial Pursuits Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
titania123
titania123
1,513 Followers

"Yes, besides the obvious," his eyes were cutting into her, daring for a reaction.

"Well, I have already discussed my internal drive, top-class work, superior research skills. And I would say the discipline to use tact and the ability to respectfully defer to my superiors, but if I said that, I have a feeling I am about to make liar out of myself."

"You find it hard to use tact?" an almost smile playing at his lips, enjoying the angry spark in her blue eyes.

"At times, especially when I am the only one in the conversation doing so," she retorted bitingly, disbelieving how horribly this interview was going. None of her previous interviews had been anything beyond the utter professional encounter one would expect, and so she could only sit and stare at him, aghast at how awfully he was behaving, effectively ruining her chances to work in the one law firm she wanted. She was beginning to feel her dreams slipping through her finger, when not a month ago she had had all confidence in Mr. Burton's promise to her.

When he had no immediate response to dig, she pressed on. "If I may follow your lead and ask a bold question, will you please tell me what I have done to earn such animosity from you? Is there something about me that offends you? Because I cannot for the life of me understand why you are being so antagonistic. Or is this your method for easing my nerves as you had promised?" Her pretty mouth was set in a hard, displeased frown.

Denny's first reaction was to tell her exactly what she had done, to accuse her of beating him in trivia, of being so highly confident and unattainable, and to openly blame her for being too young for him when they first met. Denny looked at her hard. But when all of her great sins were listed out before him, he recognized them for what they were: excuses for his insecurities and deplorable behavior. And with that realization, all his hostility melted away as he knew that in all their interactions, he had been the only one to behave in a manner worthy of reproach. And with his bitterness cleared, he felt in its wake that first, initial attraction towards her that had been there from the moment he saw her legs in those running shorts.

But now, as he stared intently at her and her expression of anger mingling with hurt, he was uncertain how to proceed, how to gain what he truly wanted, if indeed that was even possible at this point. But the more he studied her, the more he knew exactly what he wanted and the more his resolve grew to get it, regardless of complications.

He sighed. "Have I really acted so horribly?" he asked with a soft, defeated smile. He leaned forward, placing his forearms on his desk, clasping his hands. "Ms. Allen," he began humbly, "if I have said or acted in any way you find unjust, unprofessional, and/or offensive, I truly apologize. It is wrong for me to project any of my personal issues onto you, and I can assure you, my attitude heretofore does in no way reflect your appropriateness for this position and will have no bearing on my decision to hire you for said position. If you were hurt or offended by my words, behavior, or attitude, again, I sincerely apologize. Now, if you are still interested in the position here, let's discuss law. Shall we?" he asked invitingly, hoping.

Alessa wasn't fooled by his apology. He was an intelligent and successful lawyer. He undoubtedly saw his behavior as grounds for harassment or at the very least unfair hiring practices. She ignored the small pulse of disappointment that his change of heart had nothing to do with his heart, choosing to push it down and not question its origin or significance. No matter his reasons for his attitude change, she knew this was her chance to make a last-ditch effort to secure a position with the firm. She didn't smile, but her expression didn't bare any enmity. "Very well," she replied at last, nodding her head, "let's discuss law."

Over the course of the next hour the two argued, not with any animosity, but over matters of law, several of them examples from Denny's own career in which she disagreed with a particular course, or wording in a document, or interpretation of a ruling. He found her perspective on certain topics to be refreshing, if not entirely practical, but he knew those were things she would learn only through experience. He was also impressed by her clearly thorough knowledge of his own career, even if she expounded upon specific errors he had made. It demonstrated excellent research skills, and he knew from her file she was a brilliant writer.

Of erotica as well. A particular scene in one of those stories she had written flashed into his mind before he could control it. He felt an answering rushing of blood to his groin and then all the rest seemed to drift away. He felt a spark deep inside come to life. It was hungry for fuel and she was his kindling. All he wanted at the moment was to know her, to spend his life peeling back every satiny, sultry layer until he found the core, to mine the deep-well of passion that was capable of penning such stories.

As their conversation was coming to a close, he began analyzing the situation in which he found himself. At that moment, all his other goals in life were taking a back seat to his one, new imperative: get under the skin of Alessa Allen.

To give her the job or to not give her the job became the first question he needed to answer. On the one hand, he doubted she would accept a date with him, let alone allow him the very intimate access he craved, if he didn't hire her, and so the office was his greatest chance at spending time with her. On the other hand, it would be complicated wooing a fellow coworker. The undertaking would have to be done subtly and in secret as fraternization was severely frowned upon in the corporate world, especially so in the legal field. And atop that was the danger of running the knife's edge between pursuit and harassment, especially if she proved resistant, which seemed likely.

He also realized it would be more than simply asking her out. What he knew from his past observations of her was that she was extremely closed off and not likely to be interested. He would have put her down as a lesbian, simply not interested in men, but the heterosexual nature of her erotic writings seemed to be evidence to the contrary. And yet, for unknown reasons, she chose to keep her passion hidden, caged. She was an enigma to be solved, a passionate nature to be cultivated. The undertaking would require monumental patience, observation, delicacy, and skill. She was an intricate puzzle to be understood and solved.

He smiled at her. Challenge accepted.

"Well, this has been an extremely entertaining hour," he said with obvious reluctance at having to end their time. "But I must regretfully beg deferment on that topic until a later date when all my time is yours." He watched her eyes widen ever so slightly, and then the most delightful pink heat her cheeks. "As it is, I have corporate by-laws I have to get back to."

She gave him a conceding smiled, and then looked down at her lap. When she cleared her throat and looked back up, her embarrassment was gone and her expression was merely pleasant. "Yes, well, I hope in some approximation I have met with your approval, demonstrated I can be an asset to this firm. Even if I do not have limitless depositories of tact," she said with a shy smile.

Denny returned her smile with a laugh of his own, before standing up to escort her out. "Indeed you have. And I'm rather glad you have some gumption. I'd hate for anyone to walk over you. I have one last applicant to see and then will turn my recommendation to the higher ups who will meet this Thursday. You should expect a call on Friday, either way. Thank you again, Ms. Allen; despite my earlier behavior, it has been a pleasure." He walked her to the elevators, unhappy to see her go, but excited to know he would see her again soon.

The rest of the day was lost to him as he could only think about her. The next applicant would have to be a Supreme Court Justice to get the position now: for, as far as he was concerned, Alessa Allen was the newest hire at Wiles, Mayer, and Schecter LLP.

titania123
titania123
1,513 Followers