Tuff as Nails

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
JimBob44
JimBob44
5,100 Followers

"He's really, he's really gone," Cheryl wailed.

John Johnson and Markisha, the cook stood off to the side, waiting. When Cheryl had finished wailing, John nodded his approval to Tuff.

"Anyway, as I was trying to say, Ezekiel, the will? It's at nine o'clock; would you please be there?" Cheryl asked.

"Yes ma'am," Tuff agreed.

He kissed Cheryl on her cheek, hesitated and kissed Britney. He had intended to kiss her on her cheek, but she twisted her head and softly kissed his lips. They smiled at each other.

Then he pulled his suit jacket on and left the large living room.

"Thank you, sir, and again, welcome back, sir," John said as he trailed Tuff to the front door of the mansion.

"I keep telling you, Mr. Johnson, I'm not back," Tuff said.

"And I keep telling you, Mr. Richards, welcome back," John said, holding out his fist.

Tuff smiled, gave the man a fist bump, and stepped out into the dank night. The mosquitos must have been waiting; they swarmed within moments of him stepping outside.

At the reading of the will, Tuff was stunned to find out that ten percent of Kendricks Engineering was to go to Cheryl Marie Richards, with Ezekiel Aaron Richards to act as trustee. Britney was to receive twenty percent and Cheryl was to receive thirty percent.

"And, Mrs. Kendricks? Claude Ivernek has been named temporary trustee of the board of directors," Donald said. But as the majority shareholders, the three of you will have some decisions to make regarding Kendricks Engineering."

"I do not have any idea; have you ever eaten at Bombay Café?" Cheryl asked as they stepped out of the law office.

"No, you?" Tuff said.

"It's Indian cuisine; I love it," Cheryl said, grabbing Tuff's arm.

"I could eat. Britney?" Tuff agreed.

"Absolutely," Britney said, strapping Cheryl Marie down in her stroller. "Let's go."

"Okay, emergency board meeting Monday at nine, Ezekiel, please be there," Cheryl said, checking her cell phone.

"By the way, how did you get my cell phone number anyway?" Tuff asked Britney. "I got it changed when I moved out."

"Pack; no, don't be mad at him, it was an emergency," Britney said.

"I'm not mad, oh my God, this soup is something!" Tuff said.

"Lime wedge in the bottom," Cheryl warned. "The board meeting?"

"When am I, I'm in school, remember?" Tuff protested.

"Uh huh, and as Cheryl Marie's trustee," Britney giggled.

Tuff thought he had only despised Harry James Kendricks before. Even from the grave, the bastard was still trying to manipulate him, trying to interfere in his life.

Dr. Mouton again wished Tuff well in his future endeavors. The man did thank Tuff for the schematics for the hydraulics pump he'd designed.

"The university will hold the patent on this, of course," Dr. Mouton warned.

"Uh huh, know that," Tuff agreed.

Monday morning, Cheryl wasted no time. The meeting was called to order and Cheryl thanked both Claude Ivernek and Helen Theriot for stepping in after Harry's demise. Then she moved to have Ezekiel Aaron Richards appointed as Chairman of the Board and the Chief Executive Officer and Chief Operating Officer of Kendricks Engineering.

"Seconded," Claude Ivernek resounded before Britney Richards could second her mother's motion.

"Thirded, if a third is needed, Helen Theriot agreed.

"Uh, one thing, ma'am?" Danny Scandurro, one of the trustees asked Cheryl. "What will your position be?"

"Same as always," Cheryl smiled. "I'm the head of shopping."

Then she lost her smile. As was her custom whenever she needed reassurance, her fingers sought out Tuff's bicep.

"Mr. Candurro? Truthfully, Harry ran this company. I have no real idea what it is that we do here. Yes, I know, we make machines. But how they work? How they get from here to wherever they're going? I'm clueless. Ezekiel here? He knows everything there is to know about this company. And what he doesn't know? He's not afraid to ask. My job? My job is to stay out of the way and let Ezekiel make money for our employees. For my daughter, and for my granddaughter," Cheryl said.

"Thank you, ma'am," Danny said.

Tuff walked into Harry's office. The impressive mahogany desk sat, as did his large leather chair, as if waiting for Harry to walk back in, claim his place.

"Cheryl? This desk..." Tuff said.

"Was my father's," Cheryl said.

"I am thinking that desk would be perfect in the library at your home," Tuff said.

"And that chair," Britney said. "You want him out of here, don't you?"

"Yes," Tuff said bluntly.

The salesgirl at O'Neil's Furniture smiled a sassy smile when Tuff strode in.

"Office desk and chair," Tuff said forcefully.

"And where are we delivering this?" the girl asked.

"Kendricks Engineering, CEO's office," Tuff said, fiddling with an office chair. "Love this chair, but this is the ugliest color."

"Did you just say, the CEO's office?" the girl asked, mouth open.

"And, those two chairs, oh, and I need a couch, probably leather," Tuff said. "I'll pay extra if you can have it all there this afternoon."

The next morning, Tuff stepped out of his condo and stopped short when he saw John Johnson already waiting for him. The man smiled and opened the rear door of the limousine.

"Good morning, sir," John said.

"Look, its Tuff, okay?" Tuff said.

"No sir," John said politely. "I couldn't."

"Even if I insist?" Tuff asked as John closed the door.

"I'm afraid not, sir," John said a moment later, voice crackling through the intercom.

"That wall go down? I don't feel like talking through a speaker," Tuff asked.

The partition slid down noiselessly.

"I uh, I was planning on driving myself," Tuff admitted.

"Ah yes sir, but this way? You can do some reading, get caught up on paperwork, even nap if you wish," John said cheerfully.

"Yeah, I guess so," Tuff agreed.

"Good morning, Mr. Richards," Sierra, the red headed receptionist chirped when he strolled in.

"Good morning, Mr. Richards," a few others chirped brightly as he walked down the maze of corridors.

"Good morning, Mr. Richards," Britney smiled as Tuff entered the office outside of his office.

"Good morning," Tuff said, looking around. "Where's Helen?"

"You promoted her to president of sales," Britney said, settling down in Helen's old chair. "I'm your new personal assistant."

"You are, huh?" Tuff said.

"How else am I going to learn the business?" Britney asked.

"And, when did I promote Helen?" Tuff asked.

"This morning. And believe me, she was very grateful," Britney said.

Tuff opened the door of his office.

"Oh, and that salesgirl? Candy? Said she'd be by later to bring you an office warming gift," Britney said.

Tuff smiled, then quickly wiped the smile from his face.

When the men from O'Neil's Furniture had delivered his furniture to his new condo, Candy had stopped by with a housewarming gift, a rubber plant. She smiled cheekily as she walked over to a corner of Tuff's new condo.

"I think this would look good. Right. Here," she said and bent at the waist to put the plant down.

The ridiculously short skirt rode up, revealing her lack of panties. Her bald pussy glistened with her excitement.

"Unless you can think of somewhere else you'd rather put it?" she asked, looking over her shoulder at him. "Like, maybe the bedroom?"

Tuff wondered how soundproof the office was; Candy was a screamer.

"I like these chairs a lot better than those old ones," Britney said, following Tuff into the office. "Those other ones were so hard to get out of."

"It's a psychological thing," Tuff explained. "Keeps the other person feeling at a disadvantage."

"Oh. Then why'd you get rid of them?" Britney asked as she sat in one of the new chairs.

"Want people to feel that they're on equal ground that we're meeting on a level playing field" Tuff explained.

Then he thought of something. He peered through the door into Helen's, Britney's office.

"Where's Cheryl Marie?" he asked.

"In the new nursery you set up. And U.L.D. was more than happy to send over three Early Education majors for their Internship. Oh, that reminds me; you're donating one hundred thousand to their Education foundation," Britney said.

"Damn, I need a nap after such a busy morning," Tuff smiled. "What time did you get here?"

"Seven thirty," Britney smiled.

"Seven, your ass Britney! You've never gotten up before ten o'clock in your life!" Tuff said.

He then frowned. On her left hand, he could see her wedding ring and engagement ring. He had actually skinned his knuckle ripping off his wedding band when he found out he was not Cheryl Marie's father.

"You itinerary is right here; it's also on the calendar on your computer," Britney said brightly.

She crossed her legs. She still had perfect legs. She waited for Tuff to sit, to look over his 'To Do' list.

"First things first, I want to see this nursery," Tuff said.

"It's right next to the lunch room," Britney said, getting to her feet.

There were five children, ranging in age from three months; Tuff assumed the small baby was Sierra's son, to three years old, whom Tuff recognized as Charles Ivernek, Claude's son. Two young women stood, supervising the mild chaos.

"There will be more," Britney said after checking on Cheryl Marie. "And the mothers here? Are thrilled."

"How much are we charging them for day care?" Tuff said.

"Nothing; it's one of the benefits KE offers its employees," Britney said.

Back in his office again, Tuff sat behind his desk for the first time. He adjusted the office chair to his liking and looked at Britney.

"So, Sweetheart; how's it feel?" Britney asked.

Tuff frowned; both at her calling him 'Sweetheart' and at the framed portrait of Harry James Kendricks that hung on the wall. The man's smile seemed to be mocking him as he sat looking at him. Tuff moved his gaze away from the arrogant face of Harry.

On his desk was a picture frame, a hinged booklet type in burnished brass. On one side was a wedding picture of himself and Britney. The second frame held a very recent picture of Cheryl Marie.

"Momma put that there," Britney said after a long moment of silence.

Your mother's a very wonderful woman," Tuff sighed heavily.

"She says the same thing about you," Britney said. "No, no, not that you're a wonderful woman, but that you're wonderful."

Candy did come by with another rubber plant, identical to the one in his home. Again, she bent, displaying her lack of undergarments. But because Britney was right outside of his door, Tuff whispered to Candy that he'd be home at seven that evening.

"Sorry, Baby, got to be home with my husband," Candy whispered back.

"Wait, you, you're married?" Tuff said, surprised.

"Yeah, don't wear my rings at the store," Candy smiled. "Get a lot more sales guys think I'm single."

"Thanks for coming by," Tuff said abruptly.

Britney entered Tuff's office after Candy sashayed out.

"That cheap... You know, anything you want, all you have to do is ask for it," Britney said, tears in her eyes.

Tuff frowned at her.

"Remember? I'm great at giving head," Britney sniffled.

"Uh huh, and knowing where you learned that makes my dick go into hiding," Tuff spat bitterly.

"I can't, listen, Mr. Richards, I can't undo that," Britney snapped, voice tight. "I can't make it all go away."

"I know; I'm sorry, that was a cheap shot, but it's the truth," Tuff sighed.

"And I really thought, I swear to God, Tuff, I really thought Cheryl Marie was yours," Britney spat, angry now.

"I did too," Tuff admitted, looking at the pretty little girl in the photograph.

He rolled a pen on his desk. He then looked at the framed photograph again.

"I really did too," Tuff said. "And for that brief moment? I thought I had something, I finally had something worth living for."

"Still do," Britney said, pointing to the portrait of her father. "That son of a bitch? Made you her trustee."

"Yeah, why the fuck did he do that?" Tuff demanded.

"Because Sweetheart," Britney said. "He knew you were more of a man than I would ever be."

"Well duh," Tuff said. "You're not a..."

"You know what I mean," Britney said.

"I'm tired. I'm going home," Tuff said.

"To be with that Candy tramp?" Britney sneered.

"No, no, my personal assistant ran her on out of here," Tuff said.

"And I see that slut around here again, I'll do a lot more than just run her off," Britney promised.

"Uh huh, and uh, hey Britney, when's last time you and dear old Dad did the nasty?" Tuff asked.

Britney's face lost color. Tuff stood, regarding her.

"Well?" he finally said.

"When he, when he had his heart attack," Britney whispered.

"Jesus, aw, damn, Britney, I'm sorry," Tuff said.

For a brief moment, he considered hugging her as she sobbed silently. Then he just turned and left his office.

The next morning, before he walked to his office, Tuff stuck his head into the nursery. There were two college girls watching eleven children. Cheryl Marie was in a playpen, hammering her small fist on a stuffed animal.

"Hi Sweetie, hi," Tuff said quietly through the nylon mesh.

She looked up, her light green eyes looking into his brown eyes. Then she put the stuffed animal's ear in her mouth.

"Hi, remember me?" Tuff asked quietly.

He nodded in approval to the two workers. Then he left the room.

"The nursery? They provide nutritious meals and snacks for the kids?" Tuff asked when he walked into Britney's office.

"I, no, the parents are supposed to bring that," Britney said, getting to her feet.

"We have a lunch room; we need to see about putting a full kitchen in there, need to get a dietician," Tuff ordered. "Juice and animal crackers, that kind of stuff for those little urchins."

"Yes, Mr. Richards," Britney smiled.

At eight o'clock, Helen Theriot walked in. After the pleasantries were exchanged, the woman got to the point.

"Do you know a Robert Brown?" she asked. "He listed you as a reference."

"Not as well as my personal assistant does," Tuff admitted.

Britney frowned when Helen asked about Robert Brown. She glanced quickly at the young man's resume. Then she handed the two sheets of paper to the older woman.

"Yeah, I know him. Keeps hanging around, even though I told him, I'm married," Britney said.

"Give him a chance, Helen, but keep him on a very short leash," Tuff said.

When Helen left the office, Tuff waved Britney into a chair.

"So, uh, why haven't you filed for divorce? And why the rings?" Tuff asked.

"Why haven't you?" Britney shot back, pretty face twisted in anger. "Huh? You're the one left, remember?"

"I asked you first," Tuff said.

"I haven't filed for divorce because I keep waiting for you to come home," Britney said, tears of bitterness beginning to leak from her eyes.

"And the rings?" she said, waving her left hand. "Next to my baby girl? These are the most important things I have, Mr. Richards."

"Them rings didn't stop you from fucking him, did they?" Tuff snapped.

"No, they didn't," Britney admitted, getting to her feet.

"God damn it, I never could, I never, I didn't have the strength to tell him no," Britney screamed as she stood at the inner door of his office. "You! You were supposed to protect me, Tuff. You were supposed to help me say no."

"It would have helped to know that, Britney," he yelled back. "It would have helped. But did you ever say anything?"

"I couldn't," she sobbed, then fled his office.

Fifty minutes later, Tuff heard the telephone in Britney's office give a ring. He heard a voice answer. A moment later, a quiet female's voice announced the Sheik Mohamed Akir Aljabi on line three.

"Thank you," Tuff said, picking up his hand set.

He handled the sheik, a government official from Uzbekistan, then got to his feet. An attractive blonde whose name he could not remember looked up from Britney's desk.

"Yes sir, Mr. Richards?" the girl asked.

"Where's Britney?" Tuff asked.

"Mrs. Richards said she had to leave," the girl said. "I'm filling in until she gets back."

"Thank you, uh..." Tuff said.

"Denise," the girl said. "Denise Leblanc."

"Thank you Denise," Tuff said.

"Yes sir," Denise said and smiled.

When he prepared to leave, Denise was still at Britney's desk. She quickly shoved her cell phone out of sight when Tuff opened his door.

"Really do not like our employees texting on company time," Tuff said quietly, but firmly as he left her office.

"Yes sir," Denise whispered.

There were only three children in the nursery; Cheryl Marie was not among them. There was only one young lady in the room. She smiled uncertainly at the handsome stranger that looked around the room.

"Are you here to pick up..." she asked.

"No, just looking around," Tuff admitted.

The next morning, Tuff could not explain, but he was happy to see Britney at her desk.

"Good morning, Britney," he said, somewhat cheerfully.

"Mr. Richards," she said flatly.

She followed him into his office. She waited for him to sit before sliding a sheet of paper to him.

"Here are three general contractors; their appointment times are next to their names. They'll be going over the kitchen you want to put in," she snapped.

"Very good," Tuff agreed. "The sooner we can get that done, the better."

"Here's the names of three good real estate agents; I don't know when you'd want to start showing the house, but they've said they'll make themselves available whenever you'd like," Britney snapped, slapping a second piece of paper down on his desk.

"Okay," he said. "But it's your..."

"And, here's the names and numbers of three good divorce lawyers; I'll leave it up to you when you'd like to meet with them," Britney snapped, slapping a third sheet of paper down on the desk.

"Anything else, Mr. Richards?" she asked, getting to her feet.

"Think that's plenty for now," he smiled.

She shot him a murderous glare when he smiled. Then she got to her feet and stomped out of his office.

He met with each contractor, first in his office, then in the lunch room and in the nursery. Tuff had Britney accompany them as the three contractors looked over the area they would be working in.

"You know, to cut down on the dust, and the noise? Perhaps just a window? Going from lunch room to nursery. The meals and the snacks could be served through the window," Paul Robichaux suggested. "And that way? None of the kids could wander out of here, get too close to the hot stove, or worse yet, wander out of the building."

"An excellent suggestion," Tuff agreed.

Again in his office, he had Britney sit next to him on the leather couch. For a long moment, she sat, ramrod straight, not facing him.

"So, which one did you like?" he asked.

"You're the boss, you decide," she snapped.

"And you are my personal assistant, and I am asking your opinion," Tuff said.

"I liked Paul; he seemed to have some really good ideas," Britney softened.

"Agreed. He also has children of his own and seems to know a lot about them," Tuff said.

"You looked at his facebook page?" Britney deduced.

"Uh huh," Tuff said.

He gently put a hand on her shoulder. She turned slightly, looked at the hand, then at him.

"I didn't know," he said.

"How could you?" Britney said, fresh tears beginning.

"I'm sorry," Tuff said.

She didn't answer, just wrapped her arms tightly around him. He held her tightly, gently rubbing her back, her shoulders.

"Second day in a row you made me cry," Britney lightly joked as she pushed herself away from him.

"Sorry about that too," Tuff smiled.

He gently touched her face with his large hand. Then he kissed her softly.

"Really, I really wish you could have let me know," he said quietly. "Britney, I didn't know, I just didn't know I was supposed to be protecting you."

JimBob44
JimBob44
5,100 Followers
1...345678