All Comments on 'Unexpected Gifts'

by PennLady

Sort by:
  • 61 Comments
LunanoireLunanoireover 14 years ago
Happy Christmas to You!

Took me a while to figure out why Val and Halley were named so, and the dancers were a clever touch! Good job!

2Xwidderwoman2Xwidderwomanover 14 years ago
Absooutely wonderful

This story was beautiful, something to get you ready for Christmas Eve. Without giving away the story, I have to compliment her on the imagination she used. You can see the time spent in the creative names used for the characters. Kudos and Merry Christmas, too. 2Xwidderwoman

MrMudd2222MrMudd2222over 14 years ago
wonderfully inventive

This is the best seasonal story that I've read in years, as always sensitive and well written. I was half way through the second page before I began wondering about the names of Don's fellow employees, much less his family's. What a wonderful twist on a well known tale!

DaniellekittenDaniellekittenover 14 years ago
Incredible story but I hate to say

I think I would have loved to hear his explanation of who he is and who he works for. Great job. A winner!

katxmeowxkatxmeowxover 14 years ago
Fantastic

Very chrismasy, i loved it well done fab job, made me smile, very romantic, good luck.

Kat

AnonymousAnonymousover 14 years ago
One of the season's best!

Loved the story! Put some chores on hold to read it twice and absorb the hints. Alas I also had to google the names of Mr K's team. Love the new take on those, esp Halley and Val.

AnonymousAnonymousover 14 years ago
Names and Great Work

Love this!!! And it took me a while to figure out the names after reading the comments, I got everything except Martha and Toni though I understood it with the dance moves thing..but why Martha and Toni?

Nevertheless, this is a beautifully written piece :)

HatsudaHatsudaover 14 years ago
Wonderful Entertainment!

A wonderful, imaginative trip through the Christmas experience! Actually made this old man a bit weepy as I read it through to it's marvelous conclusion. You certainly have a magical way with words! Thanks!

MiliktheRedMiliktheRedover 14 years ago
twas a terrific tale

The reason That I didn't enter this contest was that I couldn't come up with a truly original idea. Clearly you didn't have that problem. Very well done. This was also a good, old fashioned romance. It brought a tear to my eye. Good luck in the contest Penn Lady!

Marines_Lady_15Marines_Lady_15over 14 years ago
Loved it!

That was so cute!

But you can't end it there!!

For the love of all things holy don't end it there!!!! HAHA!

michchick98michchick98over 14 years ago
Clever!`

Romantic! And out-friggin-standing! Love it, loved it, loved it! :)

MugsyBMugsyBover 14 years ago
So charming.

Really, you came up with such a wonderful idea and it totally captured the spirit of the season. And I don't just mean because of the reindeer. Oops, did I just let the secret out. ;) Seriously, great story, clever jokes aside. Sweet romance and genuine kindness which is really what the season is all about.

Good luck with the contest and you definitely get my vote. And Happy Holidays to you and yours!

AnonymousAnonymousover 14 years ago
Excellent Read!

I truly enjoyed reading this. It was very romantic and I loved the ending. Wish it hadn't ended so soon. The true sign of a great writer is when they leave the readers wanting more...and we definitely do. Can't wait to read more from you.

skywriterxxxskywriterxxxover 14 years ago
This story was...

...SO COOL!!! Wow! Absolutely wonderful buildup, lovely romanticism, warmth, and such a lovely theme...Quite a twist toward the end, and it was so easy to fall into the storyline...Great job! Well done, well thought out, and nicely written!

AnonymousAnonymousover 14 years ago
Subtle - Like A Brick In The Face!

<br>

Americans! Subtlety is completely wasted on you. Everyone outside the "Good Ole US of A" will have twigged what was happening, scant paragraphs in. But you're all, <i>"Oh how wonderful, I never saw that coming!"</i> And, "Oh, you're so clever, thank you for such an original story!"</i> Bah, humbug!

<br><br>

But, as pointed out already, your story <i>is</> cute, so you do get <i>some</i> points.

<br>

domrogerdomrogerover 14 years ago
Nice idea but

While it is a well written story it is let down by being a little obvious.Still as it is Christmas five stars.

cantfightfatecantfightfateover 14 years ago
Very cute!

Loved the reindeer theme. Halley stumped me for a whole page before I was like... Ohhhhhhh. Halley's COMET, lol! I also wasn't sure about Martha and Toni. Definitely enjoyed it, though.

HRKWHRKWover 14 years ago
A lovely yuletide treat.

A very clever and well-written addition to the Christmas contest. I loved the Wild references, too. :-) Good luck!!!

AnonymousAnonymousover 14 years ago
WONDERFUL!!

I loved it so much i read it twice and will probably read it again!! But i'd love to hear more, like an explanation to see how she takes the "news" and to see how they end up working out the living arrangements and all that. but that could be my romantic side coming out!! Thank you for such a great story!!!

AnonymousAnonymousover 14 years ago
A Sweet Romance

Very romantic and appropriate to the Christmas season…Well Done!

Just_John1Just_John1over 14 years ago
Well done!

Ok perhaps I saw it coming a bit, but I really loved the way you got around to it. and for the nay sayers it was an interesting twist. I loved the romance of it, and being the hopeful romantic that I am I've always loved the damsel in distress thing. Nice job, well written, and a very good little story. Thanks for sharing...

AnonymousAnonymousover 14 years ago
merry christmas to all

loved it. i was feeling really down about the coming 'festivities' and this reminded me how happy things can be. thank you.

sethpsethpover 14 years ago
Superb! As always my lady!

Superb story as always. You never fail to amaze me with your skill and talent!

peachesmelbapeachesmelbaover 14 years ago
More Please

Here's another vote for a sequel detailing how she takes the news? How Mr. K. and Rudy work things out to bring her North as well. Being magical to start are they were-deer in addition to flying reindeer? And Cousin Joel? So many unanswered questions............

AnonymousAnonymousover 14 years ago
kudos!

L-O-V-E, LOVED IT!!! yes, it took me a while to match up all the reindeer names, especially martha and toni! but it was a feel good holiday romance with a touch of magic! great job!!! hope you win!

AnonymousAnonymousover 14 years ago
=) loved it!

The most amazing story I have ever read!!!! wow!!! I hope you win =) I loved it so so so much!!!

ReadsalotReadsalotover 14 years ago
Laughing all the way!

Lots of smiles and chuckles reading this one. I loved the clatter in the yard, and running to the window in a flash. And being a lifelong Minnesotan, and a hockey fan, the references to MN and the Wild were fun. Keep up the excellent work. I'll be back for more.

gravyruggravyrugalmost 14 years ago
Love it!

Once I figured it out, I couldn't quit smiling. A very merry Christmas indeed!

WolfKnightWolfKnightover 13 years ago
Lovely romance!

I had a feeling he worked for that special someone, but a great tale of love nonetheless! :-)

Lokis_mindLokis_mindabout 13 years ago
Romance does exist

This proves that romance and chivalry does exist, even if just a story. Absolutely brilliant. but i have to agree with peachesmelba, a lot of unanswered questions that I would love to see answered.

JeffTomJeffTomabout 13 years ago
Loved It

Thank you for sharing your work with all of us.

I also love the last line (Why are there hoof prints on my lawn?)

Keep writing

elbruteelbrutealmost 13 years ago
Great story.... again!

Just got through reading 'The Relationship Business', great also btw, so I had to read this one again. Still a good read the second time around. Of course I find that I can say that about the rest of your stories too. Keep it up!

DBH

RePhilRePhilalmost 13 years ago
Truly Uplifting Story!!

The only problem is that it's finished!! Pull a Hollywood on us give us a sequel!

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
Christmas loooove!!

Perfect time to be reading this! And that wee twist! Love it!

PS. Love all of your stories, especially the hockey ones! <3

hathorbr1hathorbr1over 12 years ago
I just love this story!!!!

This is one of your stories that never gets old for me. I absolutely love it. Very inventive the way you hinted about "Don" and his friends. Great Job, as usual.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 12 years ago
clever

Literally googled the reindeer names, so brilliant the way you used the names.

SpudnickSpudnickover 11 years ago
Didnt see that one coming

I had a 'wtf' moment after they wieghed in and i remembered the vesion part whenthey went to eat. Lol took me a min to stop laughing when it finally clicked but still great story thx for the chance to read it =)

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
Awesome Story!!

I was a bit slow when I analyzed the names and when it all clicked, I laughed out loud! Anyways, I love how creative you were with the entire concept of the story and how you build each character. I also liked how things turned out with Halley and Val. Awesome story!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 11 years ago

Haha I loved the ending! I was really confused about the scene when Don was at work and why someone would be so disturbed by venison, but then the final sentence made everything click! Very Clever!

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago

love it

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
That is a wonderful piece of romantic nonsense

and I loved it.....I guessed half way through just who the characters were.....brilliant.....out of disappointment comes love....well done....

watcher221watcher221almost 10 years ago
thank you

what a wonderful story

LustKnightLustKnightover 9 years ago
Now that's what I call...

...reindeer games!

Sammael BardSammael Bardabout 9 years ago
Loved that "hoof print" part in the end.

By god, woman, reading this piece felt like going back in time. Your style has improved a lot. I did a double take on that last part, though...lol.

It was decently put, and still much better than the romance story I can possibly dish out.

Thanks for sharing. :)

Bard.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 9 years ago
Great finish

Love the story--especially how you ended it!

GoodhueGoodhueover 8 years ago
Very Nice!

- The names gave away the Santa/reindeer connection to Don.

-Still,a lovely Christmas story of love discovered.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Damned good

A very comfortable and well-sorted story.

I particularly liked the progression on the names.

But the hoof-prints joke was a master-stroke.

73

HP

J_RReaderJ_RReaderover 8 years ago
Wonderfull

Another fine story.

You have managed a wondefull christmass magical romance.

At first it is just a romance, then come the hints about Bens job includin Rudis red nose cased by his yearly cold, but the hoof prints at the end ...wow.

I do hope you continue writing as I have enjoyed many of your stories.

J_RReaderJ_RReaderabout 8 years ago
Sorry

Don is his name not Ben.

I have more mistakes in my few lines than you have in a whole story.

Once again thankyou

AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago

Am I the only one who didn't got the joke.

P.S I'm an Indian so I don't know that much about Christmas.

James7594James7594almost 7 years ago
Beautiful!

"Why are there hoof prints on my lawn?"

That line did me in!!! Well written and just perfect overall!!!

Johnny0432Johnny0432almost 7 years ago
OH MY

You make my heart ache PennLady. ThankYou so much, your the best.

Johnny Stansell

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Cute Story

Very nice story. I mean, what is romance without a little fantasy, anyway? And some of the "clues" actually made me laugh out loud. Thanks, PennLady, for a great story.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 5 years ago
Pretty Good Story

That was neat, I enjoyed it very much. I guess I’m a little slow because it did take me a while to catch on to what was going on. But I finally “got it”. And then later I kept looking for some character named Nelson to show up. Nelson Eddy. I guess that would have been ridiculous though, right? Great story, PennLady, thanks.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Wow

You writings stir the romantic in my soul, something I thought was lost. Thank you!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Very enjoyable!

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Bring a torch Jeanette Isabella. One of my favorite underrated Christmas songs.

AnonymousAnonymous9 months ago

Dumb bitch Jeanette loses her handbag twice...how dumb can you be...her head must be stuck in Ben's ass

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userPennLady@PennLady
7/5/21: My story "Altering the Plans" has started posting. Content warning: this story features a main character who leaves an abusive relationship, and whose ex engages in harassment post breakup. I would characterize it, in terms of storytelling, as "mild", although I realiz...

SIMILAR Stories