All Comments on 'Upon a Savage Shore Ch. 08'

by RipperFish

Sort by:
  • 33 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousalmost 10 years ago
comment

I don't care about chapter length in the scheme of things it doesn't matter chapters need a good stopping point .when it comes down to it three things are needed. .is it a good story?(tick) will I come back for more?( big tick) and will the author finish the story ? it is amazing that a certain author on a different site gets you into a story then gets bored and starts another and each time I fall for it hoping his grasshopper mind will let him finish candid you have a lot to answer for .Thanks for your story it is very enjoyable .wonder how many will beg for a sequel ( not hinting you understand)

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 10 years ago
Re: chapter length

Would it be nice to have longer chapters? Sure.

We'd also have to wait longer for them; it's a tradeoff.

IMO, if the author thinks a chapter should be cut exactly *THERE*, then that's their right. They're the author, and they're writing for THEIR enjoyment, not 'your' entitlement.

I generally read stories where the average chapter length is 4+ Lit pages (Etaski seems to be aiming for a continuous string of self-oneupswomanship in her chapter lengths; each of the past half-dozen have been longer than the preceeding one). It's not because I dislike shorter stories, but because I only read well-written stories, and it seems (in general) that vocabularly, complexity, and writing quality all increase as chapter length increases. This, obviously, is NOT universal, but it's definitely been what I've noticed.

Additionally, I'm an extremely fast reader, and I have been since I was very young, so any given story of X pages won't keep me entertained as long as it would the average person who has a slower reading speed.

In general, I wish EVERY story I read had longer chapters, but that's just because I know that, sooner or later, they WILL end, and I want as much entertainment as possible before that happens.

Does that make me a greedy bastard? Maybe. But I'm a greedy bastard who understands that it's the author's story, not mine.

PS

And anyone who thinks it's easy to write a good story for this site, please, by all means, show us just how easy it is -- we'd love more high-quality work.

Don't expect to be the next Tolkien over the weekend though.

-cittran

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 10 years ago
another great chapter

I'm glad to see stories like this that contain an interesting plot alongside the erotica. Clean, well written, and engaging even when the character's clothes are on. Thank you for sharing.

Oh, and nice Snake Plissken reference. heh.

Sid0604Sid0604almost 10 years ago
Another great chapter...

Another great chapter with the promise of much more to come. I am thoroughly enjoying your story. Thank you.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 10 years ago
GREAT STORY!

This is turning out to be a first rate story.. Author has skill in his writing, appears to be a

well thought out plot. Love the story line. Keep it up. Don't rush to judgement or get im

patient with it.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 10 years ago
Good story

I really like how the story flows.

clwnslyrclwnslyralmost 10 years ago
short chapter but great place to pause

Sometimes short is better if its where the words lead. And as my 5ft 1/2 inch wife would say short and damn great is better then a giant dead f×÷%_€ any day

TJSkywindTJSkywindalmost 10 years ago
A moment there

Please don't take the comments about wanting more as trying to tell you what to do. We are enjoying the story immensely. It's meant as a compliment and not an implied obligation. Entreaties to lengthen the story are a form of praise.

That said, I am amazed at how prolific and fast you are. I stumble home from work and most nights I can't think straight, let alone make a coherent sentence. Really impressed with the quality. Only two bugaboos I caught in the last chapter and none in this one, so first rate there. Really stellar. You are writing fine tales here. And yes, the pun is intended -- one of my main character flaws according to both of my exes. However, I take solace in the fact that the ancient Egyptians considered puns the highest form of humor, and their civilization lasted for almost two thousand years. Ankh meant "mirror" as well as "life" and it was common for hand-held mirrors to be in the form of an ankh, and were found in mud huts and in palace burial goods.

I was taught to value the written word, and a story well-crafted was and is to be cherished. One of my favorite writers is the late Leigh Brackett. The Sword of Rhiannon is a B story, but nonetheless I've read it seven times because I love her style, and I've lately been thinking of finding my copy for another read. When I picked up Alice Sebold's book "Lucky," I read it one sitting, even though it meant going to work the next morning with only two hours of sleep. Yes, you are in charge in regards to length, direction, and the like. Keep doing whatever and however you are doing as it's working.

I like a well-crafted meal and will admit to sometimes eating to excess. I like to consume good fiction the same way. Really, the request for more wasn't meant as a critique. Far from it. Have a grand day!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 10 years ago
Great story

Continues to develop as a great tale. First the interesting character development and now further plot development. Thanks.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 10 years ago
Have no fear

Have no fear your story is great keep it coming short or long write as you see fit and we will enjoy all the same!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 10 years ago
short but...

You are doing so well that your chapters seem so short and easy to read that the sense of time for me is lost being so involved in the story.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 10 years ago

Oooooh wheels in wheels, now the plot thickens. This has potential to go more than 20+ chapters and could get interesting.

kizkizkizkizalmost 10 years ago
I've enjoyed the progression

I like that you are expanding the scope of the plot. Its great to see some more complexity open up the story. Its cool learning about this other race.

tygztygzover 9 years ago

Fun story. The human/alien parts... well these aliens are so human, yet cat-like, that you can't really deny that it's furry. I don't mind, though it doesn't get me going; I think that the story stands on its own without the sex.

Reminds me a lot of a story from "The Man-Kzin Wars" (I don't remember which book; in it a human crash-lands on a proto-ringworld and finds some Kzinti (cat-like aliens, fancy that) females in suspended animation; he wakes a couple up and they live together for a while).

jott50jott50over 9 years ago

still loving it

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
Loved it...

Except for the arrogant post script. You're a good writer and have hit on an entertaining plot, but don't ruin it with 'my story-my rules stuff.' It's an authors lot to offer his work and accept the praise, as well as the criticisms, returned for that offering. Telling readers to fuck off should they have suggestions or observations is counter productive.

- a humble author

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
I like the postscript!

I was surprised to read it but I agree with it... so many comments in stories are about their length... hey if you don't like it because of the length of the chapters, then don't read it. Just like any novel or short story. I really like the story. Very creative.

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
length

you write it i will read it if

i like it chapter length does not matter to me at all. only the story matters and yours is great

paps

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
4th Reread - Reason!

Glad you picked up a Pen again! Was Missing Your Great Work! Saw you wrote new stuff, so rereading Legacy stories to make continuity with New. YOU WRITE GREAT! THANKS for the opportunity to read it, Glad you Shared it with us. Steve

manlycheemanlycheeover 7 years ago
reveal

seems an early reveal of the jZav plan. tho it fits more so.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
Hmmm....

I think (and i stress the fact that i'm conjecturing here) what the author is trying to say is if you have a problem with the story be it chapter length, plot development and so on..Tough. Quit your bitchin folks, Ripperfish doesn't have to upload her stories to this site for us to read FOR FREE i might add, she does it because she loves the story and feels she should share it for whatever personal reasons she has for doing so. Personally i love this story, it's well written, well developed, humorous and has enough sex in it to keep those only interested in that entertained. This is my (I think) third time reading this story, for me to read anything more than once is a sincere compliment from me to the author, Thank you Ripperfish for writing these stories, i 5 * every chapter i read each time, they are that good. (And i'm loving storm world as well)

Most sincerely, Malcolm

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
chapter length

the chapter length could be twenty pages as long as the story is as well written as this one is.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Like the story

I am really liking this story so far keep up the good work! In response to the earlier comment about similarities to another story, ( I forget the name kita chaaka?) While the premise is similar it is a very different story.

JohnSpiritWolfJohnSpiritWolfover 6 years ago
The Other Story...

Some of you have been commenting about this story being similar to Kita'thalla by

BOWOODSTOCK.

"https://www.literotica.com/stories/memberpage.php?uid=632668&page=submissions"

Yes, it is similar, but, it is also different. They are both very good stories, I have read both a couple of times & enjoyed them both very much.

bobosupremobobosupremoabout 6 years ago
The score...

I'm sorry about the score. I truly love your writing. The score is more a reflection of my fanboy ways where I want to yell "booooooo" for the deception that is discussed in the end. I do love your way with words, and hope you will keep on sharing your wonderful ways with us - all of us readers. No other individual tickles my imagination so well, and I feel that I'd be amiss without this kind of stimuli. So I just wish to thank you. And my fanboy ways are just that. I'm a total fanboy of your words, and if it were a performance like an audience-inclusive panto, or one of those Japanese-audience hero stage-drama's, I'd be shouting "boooooooo" at the foreshadowing. But this...this I love.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 5 years ago
Kiwi

Your story, your decisions

Either way your story rocks!

I love it

49greg49gregover 4 years ago
Chapter Length

Chapter Length doesn't mean a lot when I read a story for the first time AFTER it has been posted to completion. In fact, in that case I like short chapters since I can come to a stopping place fairly quickly when there's something I need to do in Real Life.

Great story so far. Interesting development with the whole mission being a ploy to get humans to bond with the other guys (I'm not going to even try to spell their name correctly.)

AlberothAlberothover 2 years ago

Re-reading this, and I just picked up your Easter egg… Pliskin from Adder… Snake Pliskin. Very good.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Hot damn! Sooo good!

Thank you.

5+++ stars!

jra13jra13about 2 years ago

2-3 page chapters actually gives me a break. Ya know, for life? Letting the dog outside. Eating. Sleeping. That kinda thing.

When chapters are incredibly long, I've seen 20 pages, then its just so hard to find a good stopping spot and then your brain starts shutting down and.... Well. Thank you for doing you. This is great!! And I may have binge read this story up to this point :)

oldpantythiefoldpantythiefover 1 year ago

Ah ha! The plot thickens.... Jumping from chapter to chapter is a bother, but it's also nice that I'm not having to wait between them like it was when first published. Another five.

geek_writergeek_writer10 months ago

You do you, man. Don't listen to anyone else, you're the author :)

DruggoDruggo6 months ago

As a reader I take appreciatively and words an author will toss me.

Excellent story

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userRipperFish@RipperFish
I just got a reply from Amazon and I need everyone to stop trying to leave reviews of the book. It will do no good and I do not want anyone to risk getting into trouble. I am going to get some legal advise and will be out of circulation for a while. Also, I am considering mov...

READ MORE OF THIS SERIES