All Comments on 'View From The Top'

by JakeRivers

Sort by:
  • 35 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousabout 17 years ago
Touching

Wow! What a wonderful way to start the day. This is another good one from you and definately worth the time. Thank you for sharing.

TiggerTooTiggerTooabout 17 years ago
Thanks.

I enjoy stories like this but I also appreciate the backgrounds that let me see in my imagination places that I've never been. It's what makes stories flavorful and rich and not just a dry recitation of facts.

It's good to see real life in the ambivalent way Eddie and Ceria wound down. Real people don't always know exactly how to handle things; they know in their hearts what to do but hesitate anyway. IRL, I can't imagine that Ceria would be faithful. She had an affair with a married man. Anyone with the slightest amount of perception could see what her moral character was like. When the going got tough (and in marriage, it always does), what would she do? What kind of mom would she be to a child? Good riddance.

Thanks as always and, as always, a fan. Phil.

Risq_001Risq_001about 17 years ago
Normally this isn't my cup of tea, but......

<p>I liked it. </p>

<p>I didn't see Eddie as a wimp with Cirea, but more as a a "well they don't seem to respect me and <i>finially</i> I have my way out of this mess" more than him wimping out.<p>

<p>Or course this is romance so I cut it a lot more slack than normal, but you wrote well and got the hero out of an ugly situation</p>

<p>Nice story</P>

-Risq

DesertPirateDesertPirateabout 17 years ago
Happy Valentines!

Jack,

I don't care what name you write under, The story is always very good. This is one of your best efforts. Thanks for making today a bit nicer.

Irish_DomIrish_Domabout 17 years ago
Great...

As always a great read. Thanx again for the writing. Keep it Up!

Blue88Blue88about 17 years ago
Heartwarming

Jack, this was a truly beautiful, heartwarming story. You made the reader a part of the tale by your description of the geography of the area and the ability to share in the emotions of the protagonists. You have the talent to bring back the memory of ones true love. Thank you.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 17 years ago
Solid

I enjoyed the story. It was a little overpopulated and drawn out for my liking, but it was well worded, well written, and sweet.

I don't think that I agree with the more negative arguments about characterization. All in all I think a little stream lining would have made this a 100!

Thanks

AnonymousAnonymousabout 17 years ago
A

What a refreshing change, someone that actually knows how to write. Atypical for this site, but very welcome. Great job!!!

BTW, it’s not “I could care less”, it’s “I couldn’t care less”.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 17 years ago
Well Done

Given that Scoma's is one of my favorite restuarants, and I know the area you wrote about well, it was very well done.

I have always enjoyed your stories and enjoyed how they are changing. You really do have talent.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 17 years ago
A terrific read!

JR:

I was born and raised in the Bay Area. I spent the majority of my life in the South Bay, but earliest years were in Marin County. Your descriptions of all your locales were spot on! The Napa Valley is incredibly beautiful. I spent many summers swimming in geyser water while on vacation in Calistoga at what once was "Pacheteau's (sp?) Hot Springs". And Sausalito is a place which words cannot adequately portray. It is "must see to believe." And a visit to Angel Island is a must.

Your protagonist was very real, even his difficulty in severing his tie to "Ceria" rang true.Your tale was very entertaining and enjoyable. I'm looking forward to more submissions from you.

To "TiggerToo: With the exceptions of Sunnyvale and Mountain View, I hope the opportunity arises for you to visit those places mentioned in this story. You won't be disappointed.

Philip

Kanga40Kanga40about 17 years ago
Good story

Enjoyable story, but dragged in parts, and was disjointed.

With all that other description about running etc. between leaving the party and him finding the girl, there was no connection to show it was not weeks or months later, but the same night. That only became obvious when Ceria(?) showed up and asked why he left her there.

Also, though you have SF locals in rapture over your description of the area, remember that more of your readers will be from outside the area and quite frankly could care less how accurate your descriptions of particular places are or are not.

For 99.99999999999999999999% of readers the story is the same with any set of place names - real or imaginary.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 17 years ago
Nice, but parts are lame.

Very nice story! Sad to say that the part were Nara left, her reasons for leaving and the fact that she hoped Eddy would come but left no clue were she went were just... lame. Sorry.

gatorhermitgatorhermitabout 17 years ago
Very Nice Romantic Story

Romantic, lots of twists and turns, and Eddie was usually not real clear about what was happening (which is how most of us spend our lives). Great ending!

Alvaron53Alvaron53about 17 years ago
Well done

Good story. I agree with a previous poster that Nara's departure felt contrived, out of character for her. Still, an enjoyable read.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 17 years ago
Nice!!!!

You kept me with it all the way!

DG HearDG Hearabout 17 years ago
Hi Jake

As always, a fantastic read. Of course I would expect nothing less from one of the best. Detail! Detail! Detail! No one does it better.

With the highest respect!

DG Hear

HarddaysknightHarddaysknightabout 17 years ago
I've only visited the bay area

a couple times, but I enjoyed your story a lot. I have to tell you that you bring out the softer side in the guys that read your work. You are very good at what you do. Never mind any contest.. just write for your fans and for yourself. You're already a winner!

bornagainbornagainover 16 years ago
A Very Moving Story

I will give it a 1000 for the Love you put into the writing

and the research also great work and keep the stories coming Jake Rivers.

Stoneage9Stoneage9over 15 years ago
View from the top

Great story, some of it could have done with better explainations and more details. I think your writting is top of the line. Most of the time it is filled with details and places I've been to or through and your descriptions fit my memories. I've tried in the past to leave comments, but I don't think any have gotten to you. I only have 2 or 3 left and I will have have read all your submissions.

AnonymousAnonymousover 14 years ago
OMG!!!! You should be a novelist!

That story was as beautifully written as some of the most popular romance novels I have read over the years. It truly was lovely! I want to read everything you write. Faith, Louisiana USA

GualterioGualterioalmost 13 years ago
So well-written!

Wow! You write with excellent grammar and sophisticated language not often found here on Lit. This is truly an excellent story. Thanks!

TavadelphinTavadelphinover 10 years ago
So many of us do the right thing the wrong way -

It ought to be an approved approach - officially accredited

A winner with stars in their eyes -

Ceria blew it big time and one hopes she and her dad figured it out - You gotta know she did not have the morals he needed - she had been the other woman once and was in his arms with Her fiance right there - wrong and wronger -

Nara was the precious jewel from the beginning - nice work sir

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
Poor girl

He wronged that poor girl. He should have ended things with his fiancée before starting things with someone new. He was a weak selfish man. That is one thing I wish people would learn. Never start a new relationship without ending the existing one. Maybe someone will learn from this story.

TheOldRomanticTheOldRomanticover 7 years ago
Great and lovely story

A great and adorable story of love, doubts, search in the pain of mistake and a happy ending with a beautiful surprise included.

I only find that the end accelerated too much, after a slow and calm approach, the end of the story seemed to be narrated at 100 mph, I would have preferred a final more in keeping with the development of the story, not so fast, That is just my opinion.

I must say that I have a political family in the city of S. Juan, although I have not seen them for more than 40 years.

I think this story would go well with the Moody Blues song "Blue World".

5* for you, and waiting that the author continues to write delicious stories like this (since it seems to publish nothing since 2015).

I apologize for my English (yet, I´m sorry), is not my native language.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago

A very good story. My second time to read it and I think I enjoyed more this time than the first time. I particularly enjoyed the descriptions of the area. The Golden Gate Bridge, Sausalito, the weather conditions, all that stuff that makes San Francisco a unique place. I spent a few months there back in 69 and 70 and I loved it. It’s a hell of a great place to visit, but I wouldn’t want to live there. Thanks for the story, Jake.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Missing

No where after his phone call to Ceria does it say how he broke up with her and the reaction of her and her father.It is all about his search for Nara,which leavesa most interesting situation out of the story.

illwindillwindalmost 5 years ago

One of the least romantic romances I've ever read. So much time spent on describing wine, food, jogging routines, houseboats, etc. And so little time spent on their relationship. They barely even talk to each other and for 95% of the story he is with someone else.

Flar1958Flar1958about 3 years ago
To much drinking

For me liking. To much drifting no decision for to long. So to low emotion for me i coudend not feel a lot to this story. Not like "Bringing Carrie Home" every time i read i got tears in my eyes. There you feel emotions.

Try again good luck next time

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

I liked it…but. I really would liked to have been a fly on the wall when he told Ceri that their engagement was over and she could get lost. That scene would have been worth the price of admission. Still a very good story though. In spite of that GLARING omission. :). Still 5*.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

beautiful but still a fairy tail

thankfully nara wasnt blonde hate blondes

i was surprised u used a petite brunette for nara usually its the pristine blondes gift of god to men

petite brunettes are usually more in non con and bdsm there too mostly as side chicks or the damsel who is supposed to be ruined by every man she came across

thanks for giving petite brunette a fair chance at romance erotica

Diecast1Diecast1about 2 years ago

A beautiful story, love it. AAAAAA++++++

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Ugh, she just assumed he think to find her back in San Juan? He was just supposed to know she would go back to the shitty part of her hometown? Ridiculous.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

I felt no connection to anyone in this story. It lacked depth.

I had no respect for him. Why he would even consider continuing with Ceria is beyond me.

AnonymousAnonymous8 months ago

KENDRA WAS AN INTERFERING BITCH!!

MC IS AN ASSHOLE WHO COULDN'T OPEN HIS MOUTH TO HIS CHEATING FIANCE

AnonymousAnonymous8 months ago

Eddie is a dick and Kendra a devious old cunt!! THIS ASSHOLE WRITE WRITES TRASH AND CALLS IT ROMANCE

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous