All Comments on 'What She Didn't Tell me'

by Slirpuff

Sort by:
  • 471 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
One of your best

Good job; good editing and a good story.

hrnicholhrnicholabout 14 years ago
Communication

The title held the clue. You outlined in very graphic words what can happen to an otherwise loving relationship when important facts are left unsaid and history is allowed to come up and bite you in the ass.

Steve was no angel, but 90% of the problems were on Ann's side with her refusal to face the past, open up her history and the reasons, so that she could go on with her life. She allowed the sore to fester, even though there were many indicators that the problems were escalating.

When you hide your head in the sand, you are emulating the stories of the ostrich. The majority of your problems are right there waiting to devour you.

Good story, excellent moral play, she was a truly "loving" wife in the best sense; but also foolish in her attempts to cover the past.

jack_strawjack_strawabout 14 years ago
Not one of your best...

I think this IS your best, and that's saying a lot, because you've become one of those writers whose stories I automatically hit on whenever your name appears, much like my friend Jake Rivers, harddaysknight and a few others.

You've got two very richly-drawn characters here who act in real-life ways. If there is anything to be critical of it might be that the character of Ronnie is a little shallow, but that is not a deal-breaker.

Perhaps you can get me inspired to start writing and contributing again. Good work from a very talented writer.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
Great Story!

and that's saying alot because I usually loathe your stories. While chapter 2 was completely unbelievable, it was more than made up for by chapters 1, 3 and 4. Thanks for writing a great story.

PArebelPArebelabout 14 years ago
Wonderful!

I thoroughly enjoy your work and this is one of your best.

digdaddyrichdigdaddyrichabout 14 years ago
a well thought out and nicely presented story

Well done on this very good story.

Very good character presentation and a totally believable theme.

Thanks for the good post.

AgenaAgenaabout 14 years ago
I Agree

I agree with Jack Straw. One of your best if not the best.

The NavigatorThe Navigatorabout 14 years ago
Wow!

Slirpuff, you've come a long way in only two years. Your first entries needed a lot of work and several of us told you so. But you learned, learned fast and well. This story is virtually flawless. You developed, and developed evenly, the two main characters, so we knew them as individuals as we would our closest friends. I liked the story line. I thought I was ahead of you, but not so. You kept your direction carefully developed so you did not lose your readers. <p> <p> <p> The only thing wrong with this story is you have now established a very high standard that your following stories will have to meet. I don't doubt for a minute you'll be able to do it!

searching55searching55about 14 years ago
Outstanding

this story brought back memories. your stories just get better. I find that I scan daily for your post's. thank you,55

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
A complete story

Very appropriate emotions and detail. I agree with those who say this is your best work to date.

Excellent story and thoroughly believable.

Thanks,

Norman D.

Poizon69Poizon69about 14 years ago
Hi Slirpuff

Once again great story. I am glad they worked it out and stayed a couple. You certainly have a way of writing about peoples emotions. Well done for this story. You keep writing and I will keep reading.

bigguy323bigguy323about 14 years ago
NO Judge in a divorce action would do what this judge did. Also,

NO psychologist would insist on physical touching in a case such as this.

I suppose it is just possible that the wife was telling the truth about what had happened up until the split. However, if Hubby had not thrown a hissy fit she was well on the road to fulfilling her inner slut.

I didn't like it much. Good writing though.

gaesmogaesmoabout 14 years ago
Good

Good Job. As I have said in the past, I really enjoy most of your stories and this one is one of the best. Thanks, and again.....good job!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
great story

Don't care about legal issues or what or what not the psychologist would do. This story was one of your best. You are great at creating characters we care about and in this one I both liked and got angry at both the husband and the wife for how they acted. I was very interested in what was going to happen to them, and you kept the suspense going well into the story. Finally, it was a well earned happy ending. Thanks for sharing.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
Oh thank goodness.

I was worried they wouldn't reconcile for a second there.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
hmm

this story started out decently which your stories generally do, however, it had a shitty ending which your also generally do. so what, he was a stubborn, "thick skulled" man and shes not to blame? no matter how you say it, she should have explained, at least after a few yrs, what happened with ronnie, and definitely not tell him how her husband doesnt have as big a dick as ole ronnie and that she still has feelings but she not sure if its love. can anyone, including the man hating douches out there, say steve was overreacting? because even if she didnt fuck ronnie, she implied that she still loved him and that she only married steve for kids and at first she didnt love steve. you write a reasonable tale but you can never finish it right. though, to be fair, its a hell of a lot better than any of your other stories.

oldwayneoldwayneabout 14 years ago
Poizon69 pretty much said it all.

You keep writing and I'll keep reading. Thanks for sharing a very real talent with us all.

GenghisKhanGenghisKhanabout 14 years ago
How old you said the husband was?

17 years old?

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
If the husband wasn't a moron

this story would have been more compelling.

He jumps to a really doubtful conclusion after hearing one side of a conversation and won't consider that he might not have the entire story despite everyone else's suggestions until a judge threatens him with jail.

I can't imagine that Ann would want to be married to such a dolt.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
Definitly Your best!

I believe that I have read all your stories,and trulybelieve that this is the best to date. I always read when I see you are the auther and this one I found as did Jack Straw a truly fine work. thanks and continue the good work!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
a really good story, nice to read

and feeling good in the end. so what to say besides bravo to one of the best writers here.

strange judge, never heard of anything like that. maybe in 1650 in a small town where a wise judge could really tell they were ment to be together.

even stranger counseling methods. this was not a sex seminar or what ever but for sure Ruth overstepped her authority in more than one way. she literally mindfucked the two.

last but not least and in this case not least at all. they way you ended the story, the whole problem is still there. you could even write a whole part 2 of the real break up 5 years later. she did not tell him again. and her idea of what she has or not has to explain to him or what is none of his business has not changed. he asked what happened when she finished her relation with Ronnie. her answer, "Not really. I just want to know that it's over." and he ? as naive as before, as when they were dating takes out of wrong thoughtfulness or lack of confidence again a step back and leaves it there. + he even thinks: We talk incessantly and no longer have any secrets; past, present or future. well lets hope he does not get another ugly surprise one day.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
you made everyone an idiot... lazy writing

you need to work on being much more subtle, you made Ann a worthless, self absorbed slut before he even dated her, let alone married her, so the was absolutely NO VALUE to this story at all. You hit your readers across the face with a 2 x 4...

Vulcan_in_OhioVulcan_in_Ohioabout 14 years ago
Enjoyable read . . .

I think this story is analogous to the situation where a married man has female friends, some or all of whom were individuals with whom he was intimate in the past. The first thing a woman does in a serious relationship with a man (and certainly if they marry) is to clear out all of the man's female friends. They are a threat to her, at least implicitly, especially if he is still being chummy with them!

I think Steve's point was correct; a man should not have to worry about his wife consorting with a former lover, spending time with him, joking around with him, and especially phoning and emailing him! It was her little secret which the baby monitor happened to reveal. Even if she and Ron were not fucking, she was still giving attention, no actually affection, to him.

And Steve was not included -- what's more, he felt less and less loved since Ann was in the mood for sex a lot less often. A woman feels her man does not love her if he is just after sex and does not provide her with affection, warmth, security, etc. A man worries that his woman does not care for him if she does not wish to make love to him. Then hearing about Ron's bigger penis and a few other choice attributes -- well, it's easy to see why Steve felt unsure of Ann's love.

The story illustrates real life pretty well. When communication breaks down, it is difficult for a marriage to succeed. I'll leave out any comments regarding typos and other slips an editor should catch -- now that your stories are getting strong ratings, maybe you can attract a skillful editor to help with the little details . . . Thanks for writing.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
Awesome

It was a wild ride but I enjoyed your story. It was well written and could see the mistrust happening. Thanks for sharing.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
Are you aware that this is a site for erotica?

I won't say it's not a good story, but there is nothing erotic with in it.

teh568teh568about 14 years ago
Good Story

To be a good story, it has to draw you (the reader) in to the story. Even if a story has no sex or erotic scenes in it, it can be successful...even on this web site. The main idea of most stories is to get your emotions involved. And here, with most of us readers, that I have read the comments from, this has happened. It doesn't really matter if there is a happy ending or if there is hot sex in every scene. If either one of these gets you to feel anything (good or bad) the story was a success...especially if there is a happy ending.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
Don't need erotica in every story

It seems to me that some of the best stories do not contain paragraph after paragraph of sex. In fact I have gotten to the point that I just skim through that part of really good stories to get to the dialog and interaction between the characters. Real life is not all sex, so why should the stories have to have that in them?

Pretty good story about two knotheads who were not very good about communicating with each other.

DanielQSteele1DanielQSteele1about 14 years ago
A Good Story, But...

You've written enough good stories now that I can't say this is your best, but it's good. There was a time when there was almost a sub-genre of marriage counseling stories in the Loving Wives section, but they seem to have faded away recently.. This was a good addition. It was well written and the characters were fairly real and balanced. I don't think Steve acted unreasonably or harshly. His wife is in love with another man, still in love after years of marriage to Steve. It's possible to have a marriage in that situation, and Im sure some people manage to stay married, but I'll be damned if I could understand how. I think it would be easier to forgive or live with a sexual indiscretion, someone falling into bed even over a period of time, than to live with the fact that the person you've committed to and love doesn't feel the same way about you. As for Ann, people do fall in love with second choices. They can't live with the person they really love and have to try to make a life, and find a new love. All that said, while I'm a sucker for reconcilation and happy endings, this is one of those stories where I have a hard time believing it will last. The writer paints a portrait of a woman who deeply loves a man, breaks up with him and finds a new love. But when the old lover comes back the old feelings come back, starting with basically forgetting all about her husband, Then there are those get togethers where Ann basically has eyes only for Ronnie. If you believe her, they never consummated those feelings, but she still has them. At the very end, she hasn't fallen out of love with Ronnie. She's just made the decision that to save her marriage, and for the happiness of her two kids, she's going to sacrifice any relationship with Ronnie. and you notice, as mentioned, she never tells Steve what happened at the last meeting, and he thinks she knows where Ronnie is, but she doesn't tell him. He didn't ask, but...These are only fictional characters, but if you accept for the moment their reality, I feel really sorry for Steve. When the kids are grown and out of the home, I wonder if Ann is going to be able to hold at bay forever the feelings she still has for Ronnie. Or will she decide she's fought the good fight, she still loves her first love, and she deserves some happiness finally with Ronnie. Just some speculations, but the way the story is written, you hve to wonder...

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
Yikes, another friggin wimp story with a typical 'reconciliation at any cost" bull shit ending.

Author - you used to be creditable and a sustainable writer. This pile of crap smells just like a typical JPB or Britease fucked up wimp story. So bloody boring! The bad news is this trend of "reconciliation at any cost" pathetic batch of authors has screwed up the balance of decent stories on this site. Next time submit this crap under "mind control or fetish" because it stinks so bad. Debra and Wayne

rooster1rooster1about 14 years ago
Second place

My problem is Ann keeps putting her boyfriend & then her husband on the back burner & then when called to task on it she uses the same excuse " well I didn't mean to" which is BS. Ann meant to embarrass & ignore Steve & she will do it again when she gets the chance.

zed0zed0about 14 years ago
Lame

He will always be #2 which is synonymous with shit. She is in denial, Ronnie ticks her clock, but hubby pays the bills and is reliable, so he gets the dubious honor of remaining married to her. What a sad little ending.

bruce22bruce22about 14 years ago
Very good real life story

The external actions are what others feel. The author permits us to have far more knowledge of the inner workings of Steve than we would ever have in real life. That is why he feels wimpy to many of us. To me he feels like a normal average human being. (N.B. that is not a statement that I would think or act as he did). This all evidence of good writing of a readable story.

First, for me, the critical moment was the Friday after the famous Thursday.

He should have gone to her apartment and demanded a choice, as well as full disclosure. (Maybe he would have found her bed occupied or that she was not home which would have avoided the whole story, But that would have my way of doing things and not Steve's)

Second, how do you get married to someone who is not intimate enough with you to discuss why she broke up with guy that she obviously has feelings for.

Third, most gals would have gotten extremely angry at Steve if they stuck to the straight and narrow and he still doubted. Women are funny that way.... If she is still willing to crawl back, she is guilty usually

but knows whom she prefers. Now in full knowledge he has to decide.

Great story! Thanks SP. Hope we will see many more stories.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
Perhaps your best work

I agree with the previous poster. No matter how "macho" you are, we all have fears and doubts, moments of weakness, and this author lets us see this man's. His reactions would not be mine, but they did feel real. He reacted out of weakness at some points and strength at others. Welcome to the human race.

mwoody2950mwoody2950about 14 years ago
Nice fantasy but...

I like happy endings as much as anybody, but you set the story up for a sad ending, and you would have been correct. You tried correcting and enticing your readers in to a make believe ending. Our hero really should have never married her in the firtst place. Years later she has these feelings and possibly an affair. I don't believe in throwing wives to the curb but you wrote it and the only viable solution was what our hero was doing about getting rid of her. i would have depressingly dumped her too and then let her future action dictate the ending. This particular story I'd love to rewrite... don't worry, I can't write worth a crap. I wouldn't wimp out the husband like you did, dealt with the wife and her old beau in a more aggressive manner (doesn't have to be violent...then again), divorced her, maybe reconciled later, maybe not. Thanks as always for your dedication to excellent writing.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
Fine writer -idiot husband

I have become a big fan of your writing in the last year, but you have made husband Steve such a brain-dead idiot in this story that it is hard to cheer for him. He takes one side of a brief phone call and runs it into a full fledged divorce filing. It is called jumping to conclusions in many circles.

60 year old George

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
this is NOT a communication problem

Sorry but this story does not even come close to working. This is not a communication problem.

Anne is still emotionally and perhaps physically attached to Ronnie a guy who got her pregnant then left her when she got pregnant. She had to pay for the abortion then Ronnie left. Anne CLAIMS to have been emotionally and mentally scarred by that series of events and Ronnie's actions.

Yet here she is a few years later developing some sort of emotional and perhaps physical connection to Ronnie and shutting Steve down physically and emotionally. Steve is an Moron which is a common trait in all of the husband/male character with this authors since he seems obsessed with forced reconciliation stories.

Anne does not see her constant close contact with her ex-boyfriend... whom she still has the emotional and potential sexual feeling for as a Problem. Anne is NOT saying to Steve... " tought shit that is just the way it is.." That sort of attitude would least show that Anne recognizes that Steve doesnt like her connection to Ronnie. .

Anne is she simply doesn't understand any reason why Steve should have a problem at all. Anne's thinks Steve does not even have ANY right to say anything about this. She thinks Steve is wall paper.

Given the history of Steven and Anne when they are dating there is no possible justification for Steve to marry Anne and still expect the marriage to work. And the marital therapy/counseling sessions are really silly.

Steve knows that Anne and Ronnie were a big item for several years before they got serious. But he doesn't know why they broke up. I suppose in real life there are people this fucking stupid but to get married to somebody like that who has a long history with someone else not know exactly WHY they broke up then to allow Ronnie to hang around... makes Steve looked like a true douche bag and a moron.

This is not a communication problem

When Steve served Anne with divorce papers at her parents where there... did NO one in Anne's family or friends say to Anne "why are you talking to or seen Ronnie again given what he did to you the first time?"

Obviously nobody said that in the story to Anne... certainly nobody from Anne's family or Anne and Steven mutual friends. They keep telling Steve that she really Love him but no one seems to realize or understand what Steve's problem is with the relationship between Anne and Ronnie.

It's not until Anne and Steve are in their fourth or fifth month of therapy that the counselor says to Anne you have to stop all communication and contact Ronnie. That is the FIRST time anyone ever says anything like that to Anne. That is simply way too long and too much into the story for it to be believable.

this is a BAD story

gatorhermitgatorhermitabout 14 years ago
Well Written and Realistic Story (except for the judge)

Intense and mostly realistic story - both characters had their flaws, which is what made the story interesting. I think the reconciliation worked in this one and was credible, and the counselor's advice to Ann to make a complete permanent break with the ex boyfriend was sound. However, if I were Steve, I would have gotten the DNA testing to find out who the kids' father really was before filing for divorce.

JennyBearJennyBearabout 14 years ago
Very good!

However to me, it seems like Ann was settling for less than she wanted. Ronnie rocked her world but her husband was more stable.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
Enjoyed The Story

Well written and I like happy endings, but I would have had D.N.A. myself. Thanks and keep writing.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
Nice story!

Sometimes things aren't always clear cut. This story depicted one of those situations. Some of the other comments indicated that the husband over reacted. I am not so sure. She admitted that she wasn't head over heels in love with him when she married him. She also admitted that she still loved Ronnie. She all but said that she realized that she settled for the husband because he was the safe choice. That is not exactly a ringing endorsement for wanting to continue the marriage. Regardless of whether you agree or disagree with what the husband did based upon what he heard, it forced the wife to finally make a choice that she really had never completely made. Some husbands wouldn't be able to find their way back into the marriage if they were to find themselves in that position. As one of the other commenters said, a divorce might have resulted in giving the husband the opportunity to see if the wife would run back to the ex lover. If she had done that, well then the husband's actions would have been validated. But it was nice that you kept them together. Thanks for sharing. Ohio, USA

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
good wholesome story in the end

Boy, it was quite a haul to get to the finale, which was a good feeling at the ending. All is well that end well. RAG

lancewmlancewmabout 14 years ago
I liked this story

Really good read. Probably your best. There may have been issues, like Steve being an idiot at time, but I thought it was fantastic anyway.

donkinkdonkinkabout 14 years ago
Another good story from you

I really enjoyed reading your stories, thank you.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
It's horrible...

to settle for second best. And this is what this story is telling the world. It's also amazing, how many people accept this and actually state that this is an excellent story. Say's a lot, that does.

sexmatesexmateabout 14 years ago
Excellent Story! Thanks I needed to read a good one!

It was a very good read! I enjoyed it!

Yea, Ronnie needed to be told to hit the bricks right off the bat.

I would still be wondering that my kids were my kids! I would secretly send away for DNA results just to put my mind at ease. The cohabitation order by the judge was funny! But it worked in this story.

And God Ruth was some therapist! Best depiction I read yet! I do wonder if it would really go down like that?

Is Steve second best? As far as I can tell it was in bed. Even old dogs can be taught new tricks. All she has to do is tell him how she likes it. I bet he would be more than willing to give it to her exactly how she wants it.

As far as the past! It's okay to know each other's past. But sometimes it's best left untold. Sometimes it can't be handled, and will mind fuck you.

Sometimes for quite a while. And for some will never get over what you tell them.

So Thanks for the read it was outstanding!

Thanks for writing!

YornHYornHabout 14 years ago
If you can't get the one you love....

you have to, kinda, love the one you get.

The ending left me kind of sad. Yes, they are back together - and, yes, she sacrificed the one she really wanted, Ronnie - after all, he gave her much more satisfying sex. The clincher aparently was that he didn't want children, so she had to stick with Steve - hohum.

I do feel sorry for Steve - he'll forever be second-best.

FireFox59FireFox59about 14 years ago
Well Done

Definitely your best work yet. Thanks

PistolpackinpetePistolpackinpeteabout 14 years ago
Re:"hmmm"-no it's not! He's done better! Re: "It's horrible"-no it doesn't!....

....unless you're a shallow idiot that can't tie all the pieces and layers of a story together.If anything it says that you might find you change what constitutes "best" to you when life happens. Lots of make-believe in this once again unique story from the most eclectic plotster on this site.

PistolpackinpetePistolpackinpeteabout 14 years ago
in the recon subgenre....

!!!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
Hummm

You closed the story by saying that they had no secrets however. When he asked her about what happened when she broke it off with Ronnie. She replied with she didn't want to tell him!!!!

Another thing that bothered me was she came back crying and had grudge sex with her husband because he was the reason that she could see her lover anymore!!!

I know I would have never accepted that in a million years!!!

Had she truly loved him she would have never thought twice about her past lover. When she did she became his lover again even if they never had sex!!!

I can forgive a random act of sex much quicker than my wife having feelings for someone. To the point of crying because she had to make her marriage work!!!! NO FUCKING THANK YOU!!! He could have the faithless bitch!!!!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
I think some commenters should read more accurately,

Since the anon. commenter previously clearly didnt.

For instance, the wife actually asked the husband if he wished to know the circumstances of her meeting with Ronnie, and it was the husband who declined; consequently, the " grudge sex" as described couldnt have been, but more probably was simply a reaffirmation of the wifes commitment to her husband and an expression of love .

Apart from that, I wish people would realise these are fiction, and therefore, realistically, it doesnt matter a shit what the story line is.....its a story.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
One of the very best authors

I always am extremely pleased with your stories. You are an excellent story teller and they have a gentlemanly, loving quality. Thanks again.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
True love considers the other FIRST

In all of this, the one episode that would have been a deal-breaker in my mind was the following;

"Steve, how did it make you feel when you met Ronnie face to face"

"I thought he was an arrogant fuck especially when he told me to take care of 'his girl'. I wanted to punch out his running lights."

"Ann, Steve said you totally ignored him that night after introducing him as your new boyfriend. Do you see Steve's point in this matter?"

"I guess I do now, but at the time it wasn't intentional. We were just reminiscing about the past. Ronnie and I had already worked out our differences and after all, we had over three years of great times together. I guess looking back I should have brought Steve into our conversations. I did however know he was angry when he left. I knew that a kiss on the cheek was not how normally left me. He's a passionate man and a full lip kiss with a lot of tongue was the norm. I was going to ask him to stay, but I could see he was in no mood for talking. I guess I should have called him but I figured I'd let him sulk and wait until he was ready to talk, my mistake. When he accused me of cheating on him I was livid. How could Steve say such a thing, especially after I'd given everything to this relationship?

Problem Statement #1; "We were just reminiscing about the past." OK, you were reminiscing about what? The good times you had together when you were lovers? I can't see how your fiance would be threatened by THAT.

Problem Statement #2; "I guess looking back I should have brought Steve into our conversations." Huh?! How about saying, "It's nice to HAVE seen you again, Ronnie. Take care of yourself, bye." I think that would be good, don't you?

Problem Statement #3; "I did however know he was angry when he left. I knew that a kiss on the cheek was not how normally left me." So you knew he was angry--this man you claimed to be in love with at the time--and you STILL STAYED and TALKED TO THIS OTHER SCHMUCK?!! Let me get this straight, you see love as being something you do when it's convenient for you? How could you NOT KNOW that you had stepped in a pile of shit by staying with your ex-boyfriend when your new boyfriend had made his feelings known politely but UNMISTAKEABLY?! OF COURSE he thought the two of you were still an item! Why wouldn't he? Duh!

Problem Statement #4; "I was going to ask him to stay, but I could see he was in no mood for talking. I guess I should have called him but I figured I'd let him sulk and wait until he was ready to talk, my mistake." DO YA THINK? Steve didn't mind talking, just not with THIS shithead, stupid! He was your EX! Get it? EX! Nobody can be as stupid as this girl is being made out to be!

Problem Statement #5; "When he accused me of cheating on him I was livid. How could Steve say such a thing, especially after I'd given everything to this relationship?" Uhhh, what "everything" had you given to the relationship? You told him everything about your abortion and how shitilly your piece-of-shit ex had treated you? No. You forsook all your old boyfriends so that your new one would feel secure and loved? No. You realized your mistake and ran after your boyfriend instead of reminiscing with your former boyfriend? No. So just what is this "everything" you're talking about? You actually gave nothing of yourself except superficially.

I would have kicked this woman to the curb right there, and all this mess would never have happened. I think most men would agree with me on that one.

Work a little harder on the logic of your pieces, Slirpuff.

jasonnhjasonnhalmost 14 years ago
Siggghhh, what could have been.......

I liked the story although I agree with some of the criticisms. The judge and therapist were pretty "high and mighty". They far exceeded their normal roles so were a bit unbelievable. The biggest problem was with Ann's attitude. Essentially, every time she ran into Ronnie she fell into pining for him. "Sigh, what could have been. He was a hot lover. If only he wanted kids." She never disconnected from him and Steve damn well knew it. Yeah, she "chose" Steve because she COULDN'T choose Ronnie. How would any husband feel if every time his wife ran into an old love she went all mushy and excited. Not very well. Turn it around. How would a wife feel if every time they bumped into one of hubby's old flames he got all interested and spent all his time talking and dancing with her. Neither case would be acceptable to most people. I strongly believe that you can have friends of the opposite sex. I think it's healthy to do so, it gives you an appreciation of the opposite sexes view of things. A wife can also provide that but sometimes it gets too wrapped up in the marriage issues. But there is a big difference between an honest and clean friendship, that can include the other spouse, and a lingering infatuation like Ann carries for Ronnie. This is the cause of all their problems and it really wasn't confronted very directly. Ruth FINALLY tells Ann to break it off with Ronnie BUT doesn't spend a lot of time on showing Ann WHY her behavior was so destructive. Since it was the core issue it deserved more focus. It was dealt with almost as a "Oh, by the way" issue. Ann owed Steve her complete commitment and devotion, not a "I settled for you" marriage. It seemed like throughout the relationship Ann had these issues and agendas that she didn't let anyone else know about. The real "Ann" wasn't accessible. The person responsible for that was Ann. I don't think the counseling ever got to that issue. Steve might have been a bit ham handed at times in the way he dealt with things but he wasn't the source of the problems. He just wanted a wife who loved and appreciated him. I guess overall my problem is that the counseling seemed to be targeted at showing both of them as being responsible and it being a "communication" issue. I don't think that's a fair or accurate assessment of their relationship. Ann wasn't fully committed to their relationship. That's what needed to be fixed. Communication and all that was needed to heal their relationship but it wasn't what caused the problem.

HagarTheHorribleHagarTheHorriblealmost 14 years ago
Chekov's gun and other stuff

I imagine that it must be both grueling and puzzling for an author sometimes to read the comments section. It's so much easier to pick apart a story than put it together, and I suppose an author must sometimes look at the comments and think "what the Hell did I write?"

In the spirit of that comment, I'll try to keep this comment constructive. I think this (otherwise excellent) story has two obvious shortcomings: It doesn't observe Chekhov's gun, and the female lead is problematic.

Anton Chekhov said: "One must not put a loaded rifle on stage if no one is thinking of firing it." In the context of a story: Don't put in an element of suspense if you don't intend to get back to it.

Your story is full of loaded rifles, that are never mentioned again: When Ronald first enters the scene, Ann behaves like a lovestruck teenager according to Steve. He never mentions that again, only that he felt left out.

The entire overheard conversation is one loaded rifle after another. I went back to read it after having finished the story, and it's not even close to being resolved. Most obviously, which man would hear his wife belittle his sexual prowess to an ex-boyfriend, and never even think about it ever again? You can't put an issue like that on the table, and just drop it. In fact, you can't put an issue like that on the table and still have a happy reconciliation. It's too way out there.

This leads to the second issue: Ann. What wife belittles her husband's sexual prowess to an ex-boyfriend? How can she not understand the meaning of that conversation? The answer seems to be that she doesn't care.

You are painting a picture of a woman that doesn't really care about the feelings of those around her. The only times she wants to talk about Steve's feelings is to belittle them. The only thing she really seems to care about is that her actions are objectively beyond reproach. For instance, she thinks nothing of emotionally cheating with Roland, but she gets all high and mighty if anyone suggest that she is a cheater.

I mention this, because bloody all of your female characters are like this: Never mind who I hurt (especially my husband) as long as I can get out of it smelling like a rose. How the Hell are we supposed to like these types?

Take it for what it's worth, but I think your stories could improve, if you keep these things in mind: Keep all your i's dotted and t's crossed, and remember: There is no such thing as a narcissist with a heart of gold.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 14 years ago
Actually, just some more put down of the man.

Come on, she flat out played him for a fool..and, sadly, this story condones it. The judge and the councilor were arrogate assholes.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 14 years ago
limits

A judge using such coercion? The vase broken and should not have tried to put it back, where something would be missing. That different love and conversation to knaw at the edges for him. Works ok for her. No artificial resessiation of the marriage.

pogo123pogo123over 13 years ago
Where did this come from?

I recently left you a very complimentary comment on another of your stories, applauding your characterizations and technical execution.

This one isn't even close to the same league.

Although I would have phrased it very differently, I generally agree with Hagar's opinions and particularly like and think fitting the reference to having a "loaded gun" onstage. Additionally ... to me, it does not flow ... it jerks.

Finally, the grammar and punctuation here are far below what I've generally seen in your other stories and come to expect from you. As they are listed, I've been reading your stories sequentially down the list, so you know the basis for the opinions and standards that I'm comparing this story to. In all the others I found very few basic, mechanical errors (spelling, punctuation and grammar), so few, in fact, that I could easily overlook them. Not so here.

But ... good story line and good plot development ... just not up to the level I've come to expect from you.

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
the comments you get...

Unless the story is written badly, I think the more responses you get might be as good a guage as the star system. You write well, even if I don't always agree with the way your story goes, or detest one or, more persons in the story.

RePhilRePhilover 13 years ago
Good story

Thanks for a good story please keep writing. On a personal note I find it frustrating that you reuse charator names from story to story. The reader or I should say in my case I carry the baggage of the charators name from story to story. I just can't seem to separate Ann from one story to another I know I'm probably in the very small minority but it's just a personal observation

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
GOOD !!

This is a very well done story--Excellent ! The character development is exceptional--keep up the good work, you are one of my favorite authors, I only have a few

Thanks,

Sam

mickymouse113mickymouse113over 13 years ago
Compulsery Counciling

Persoanlly I'd insist on a divorce and then go through counciling. The divorce is in reponse to her actions. I'd want her to woo me all over again and convince me to marry her.

hawkeye0007hawkeye0007over 13 years ago
OK

This story was well written and plotted. I'm sorry to say, it didn't move me. I never did warm up to the wife.

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
Oh my oh my . . .

This fem writer has been watching too much Oprah, Dr Phil & Dr Oz. An abject failure as a writer depicting such a scenario - UNLESS she's had an experience such as she writes of.

And that would indicate neither of them had a clue about the realities of life in general or in specific. She certainly has something correct, it's always the male's fault in the eyes of shrinks and Oprah . . .

VickieTernVickieTernover 13 years ago
No problem

That one phone call with Ronnie yielded info about an abortion? I went back and still didn't see it. How does he get that news? That's the one substantive thing Ann witheld that was a husband's due right to know. Other than that, it's a story about a hyperjealous husband too rady to believe whatever he can fantasy, and a too socially insensitive wife (as when Ronnie reappears at a dinner, but other places too), and though I can fault the therapist here and there, it's about forced intimacy overcoming injured egos. Love is not just caring, or sympathizing, feeling for the other personb -- it's about empathy, feeling as the other person feels! That she "loves" him as she claims, or he her, isn't at all as clear to me as to the shrink. They're too self-absorbed. Very good, not great. Commendable, not mind-blowing.

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
Really ended poorly

Too many words written to try and disguise that she was not devoted to her husband, but rather to good old Ronnie. Better the divorce and then let things pan out as they will. Not a good try.

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
Interesting story but she most likely lied is still a simple slut forever.

Obviously, she got married and had kids with the husband choice behind door Number 2 or was it 3 or 6? Fucking slut got away with cheating as usual with this author's perspective and that is really sad & totally disgusting. Sounds like one of JPB's signature slut wives that fagots like shoe no IQ tend to put on pedestals because of learning disorder that is apparent.

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
One of your best stories yet...

I had to laugh at the women haters who thought he should have dumped the "liar". Reminds me of the song Garden Party.

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
doesn't this belong

in Lesbian Sex? There are 2 pussies running around in the house...

Lewy123Lewy123over 13 years ago
Great read

For some reason I really enjoyed this story and found it quite hot. Don't really know why as the sex was very minimal.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 13 years ago
Secrets?

" neither one of us had been totally up front with the other before we got married; too many secrets."

What secrets did our hero have? That he really didn't want to marry his wife? Oh wait it was the other way around wasn't it?

So what was he not being open about? That he didn't like cheating girlfriends or wives?

TavadelphinTavadelphinabout 13 years ago
Well done and nicely too

Working at a relationship is hard - the wimps cut and run at the first sign of trouble -

Hmm I like that motto - I think - yep.

He overreacted - she never said she did not love him - just different and he never got the point at least he got past it -

The arrogant anon's seem to think life is smooth and you own the partner you chose - grow up

baron14baron14about 13 years ago
Oh to communicate

As always a great story but please get an editor

AnonymousAnonymousabout 13 years ago
cucks never grow up

The constant ingestion of creampies keeps them young as can be evidenced by their comments lauding cuckhood, cuckoldry and cuckdom.

GualterioGualterioalmost 13 years ago
Good story.

Hurray for the judge and the counselor, Ruth. So many of these stories jerk me around emotionally, so I guess I need to say ... thanks Slirpuff.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 13 years ago
been there and still there

this story has given me some ideas to trace down and to follow up

Scorpio44Scorpio44almost 13 years ago
And the theme is "What we have here..."

"Is a failure to communicate!" Seems like most marital problems could either have been prevented or cured with honest communications between two people invested in being married to each other.

This tale is a case in point. Single readers, take the warning. Young married folk, take the warning! If you don't learn to communicate effectively you could be next on the crash site.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 13 years ago
STEVE I picked you : NO you SETTLED for Steve after Ronnie would not marry you

those two things are NOT the same thing. Both Ann and Steve are sexually knowledgeable and experienced adults. Yet Ann never tells Steve that sometimes she wants hot rough sex like she use to get from Ronnie.

WHY? In therapy Steve raises this issue ( "I am not a mind reader") but the therapist never pushes Ann for an answer.

Steve gets treated like shit and lied to while dating.

So they break up. Then they get back together.

Then Ronnie comes by ... steve gets shit on again.

what does Steve do? He decides to marry her without KNOWING about Ann and Ronnie's past and her abortion.

wow....

A lot of readers complain that this author loves to develop really stupid men. ( HIV for one lovesmto make that charge). For the 1st time I am beginning to see that there is some truth to that charge

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 13 years ago
hog wash

Doesn't take much imagination to understand Steve will always be sucking hind tit on the hog with regard to good ole Ronnie. Tired use of counseling. BS

BTTapBTTapover 12 years ago
Entertaining, well written and very emotionally involving, but...

Plenty of unrealistic stuff here: 1) judge's don't act at all like this in real life; the more human and less jaded of them might encourage, but don't force counselling, etc., I'm not even aware of a jurisdiction where they CAN do that (they can order co-parenting classes, etc., but that's about it); 2) the kid's outburst ("say something...") was not how a young kid talks; 3) the tenor of the wife's conversation with Ronnie doesn't make sense, given the story.

The first 2 items I can chaulk up to creative license-no big deal. But, the 3rd issue is significant, and makes the story not sit well with me. The timeline of the marriage in the story is unclear, and the story never reveals certain details that I wanted (and that i would have assumed would have come out in the counselling sessions), and that I think hubby would have insisted upon, but I still can't figure out how the wife allows Ronnie to (presumably) run her hubby down on the phone.

We don't know what Ronnie said. But, he was obviously denegrating hubby. Saying that his cock isn't as big, the sex isn't as hot, etc. He must have been fishing for wife to say she still loved him (Ronnie), etc. She doesn't get outraged at Ronnie over this inappropriateness/rudeness, she doesn't slam the phone down and insist he not call her, she doesn't say he is wrong, etc. Rather, she admits some of the things, asks (ASKS) that he not say those things about her hubby, and admits that she still feels the same about Ronnie that she always did. To her credit, she does say that they can't keep doing this, etc. This suggests 3 disturbing things: 1) she has been sharing (comparing) with Ronnie the private details of her sex life with hubby; 2) she has repeatedly admitted to Ronnie that she still has feelings/love for him; and 3) that this seduction/liasson has been going on for some time. Again, it also shows her refusal to leave hubby (at least for now), and that she wants these talks to end.

I wish the timeline had been clarified. For how long did Ronnie start showing up without a girlfriend (years, months, weeks?). When did Ronnie start showing up alone at their house when hubby wasn't home (if I understood that part correctly)? When had the sex dropped off with hubby and wife? When did the pattern at these almost weekly gatherings become for hubby to be busy hosting while wife made goo-goo eyes at and spent most of her time with Ronnie? When did wife and Ronnie start having these inappropriate and clandestine "talks." The stolen kiss (the only physical "cheat" to that point, if wife was honest) was 2 years before. Had it been going on that long? If I was hubby, I would want to know. As a reader, I do, too.

I frankly have real concerns about her "closing the chapter" with Ronnie. I have a problem with her taking 2 1/2 hours to get it done with (he must live reasonably close-so even if 1 hour travel time total, that is one long talk). I have a problem with her coming home with signs of crying still on her face (hadn't she resolved these feelings with Ronnie in therapy by now? She should have had clarity in her choice by then. She should have been made to see that Ronnie was a seducer, trying to break up her family, who was controlling of her, disrespectful of her, a liar, a manipulator, etc. She should have not needed to see him in private to "close" that chapter. If anything, she should have emotionally been at the point of having the goodbye to Ronnie be a relief-she had gotten the better man (except maybe for hard-fucking with a big dick-but who wants to walk funny anyway?).

What bothers me in all of this was the fact that wife was so comfortable with the secret talks with Ronnie, where he denigraded hubby with only mild protest from wife, is the fact that it happens 7 YEARS after marriage. It would be a lot easier to take if we found out this all started within the last few months-then i could accept that she had these residual feelings about Ronnie, that were kept perculating her whole marriage cause Ronnie was in the picture, but that only came to the surface recently as Ronnie started putting the moves on wife in earnest (perhaps detecting receptivity on her part, maybe because of the 7 year itch, or whatever). If these feelings and communications had been present for years, it would be a sign of even a bigger problem, and it would suggest that wife was, as some commenters suggested, choosing hubby because of her family, not because of love.

Without these details, I have a hard time reconciling with this reconciliation.

cantbuymycantbuymyover 12 years ago
dump that cheating whore

she is having midnight "you cock is bigger and better that yours" and thinking she does not "really need orgasms" with the current hisband. she is a whore. DNA - REPEAT GET DNA! this is a ball busting bitch.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 12 years ago
What can I say that ...

... BTTap, Anonymous 07/23/11, Anonymous 07/14/11 didn’t? How about on page 3 she says Steve is the one she loves and trusts and can be open with but she wasn’t open with him and therefore didn’t trust him and likely not the one she loves. I agree cantbuymy something is rotten about her story get the DNA tests. I give it 2 stars for unbelievable charactors. Slirpuff you have done much better.

PolyLvrPolyLvrabout 12 years ago
Good story

I liked it. It was mostly believable, far above most other authors here.

A couple of points for the detractors:

Some children will talk that way. Some clamp down but some speak up.

She said she 'doesn't need bone crushing orgasms', not she 'doesn't need orgasms'.

I have to give some women credit. If they're anywhere close to decent looking, there will always be guys trying to hit on them. It would be so easy for most women to get some strange.

The thing is, it don't trust any woman. If she gets mad at you, things are a little rough with money, she's getting on a little in years and wants to feel beautiful, all it takes is a couple of drinks and her heels get rounded.

They also tend to try to deflect blame for their misdeeds, like when Ann sat talking in the bar with Ronnie and didn't immediately call Steve the next day.

I really would like to believe differently, but I can't.

So, at this point in the story, I believe Ann has put Ronnie behind her. I think she had a mad makeout session when she talked to him and was truly upset that she ended it. I also believe there was more going on that she didn't let on to. I think she honestly made her choice to stay with her husband, and if she admitted she fucked Ronnie a couple of times then that wouldn't be possible.

UndrApprctdUndrApprctdabout 12 years ago
Enjoyed the emotions; not so much the story

Could he really ever take back a wife who NEVER said that she stopped loving her accused lover? And even if so, could he take back a wife who said this same guy is a much better lover than he is? Would he take back a wife who wouldn't make sure that he could somehow witness her alleged "break-up" with her lover (or at least describe it to him?) How did she find Ronnie so quickly if she had had NO contact with him since they separated?

This woman keeps A LOT of secrets, and I think that there are more than a few that her husband won't like.

chytownchytownabout 12 years ago
Thanks

For sharing.

Johnny1MJohnny1Mabout 12 years ago
I disagree with VickyTern

She wrote, "Other than that, it's a story about a hyperjealous husband too ready to believe whatever he can fantasy, and a too socially insensitive wife (as when Ronnie reappears at a dinner, but other places too)..."

Sorry, he's not hyper jealous. The first time they were dating, she never explained why she didn't want to get serious. She just mentioned a break up with an old boy friend. Well, from a guys perspective, if you see your girlfriend making out hot and heavy with another guy in public the day before she has a date with you, you break up with her. Then, she blows up and calls you a jerk? And then when they meet again 6 months later she calls him shit head? Gee, I wonder if when he started to have doubts about her love for him if he didn't remember this. Calling him shit head after not seeing him for 6 months shows she just didn't think she did anything wrong. She's not just socially insensitive, she's too insensitive for anything but one night stands.

Second, he overhears his wife saying to her former lover, "All right, it's not the hot burning love we had and he's not a big as you." If a husband, any husband were to hear that, he may never get over it. Girls, imagine overhearing your husband say to a gorgeous former girlfriend something like, "My wife's boobs are kind of small and floppy. Not big and firm like yours. And she's just not near as good as you in bed."

Well, can you imagine making love with you husband and not thinking about how you just don't measure up? I think it would take plastic surgery and months of lessons from a sex councilor(if there is such a thing) to get over that. The fact was that even though she didn't have an affair, it's clear she was still emotionally involved with her ex. No husband or wife should accept that from their spouse.

betrayedbylovebetrayedbyloveabout 12 years ago
Different

Itwas a decent story. It took time but in the end they were together and happy again. Don't you just love a happy ending??

Ha

AnonymousAnonymousabout 12 years ago
rationalizations and justifications

as Tavacuck and any shrink can tell you all the psychobabble is really just a means to explain away and be comfortable with what you want or get. Hubby needs to rationalize staying with wife and the shrink helps him do it.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 12 years ago
slirpuff love your work. good story nice ending

please write more often like u did in the past ,if possible. she keep secrets and steve was stubborn and let the lawyers be the winner here . when they could have worked out their problems with a little help.

cantbuymycantbuymyalmost 12 years ago
love your work

but boyfriend would already already have knees broken - and once she is a wife a man should not have to fight for her again. this shit about she knows where he is and "special bond" bull shit is just that - wife has no special bonds with anyone but husband.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 12 years ago
thank you

Great story and well written. Thanks for writing and sharing.

PhotoproffPhotoproffalmost 12 years ago
Jumping to a Conclusion

Very good story. I think you should use a spell checker! Everything else was good. This kind of story, .....making up is something I enjoy, especially where you see mistakes of each character. Looking forward to more from this author.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 12 years ago
Grammer Checker, Use It

It isn't enough to use spell checker, all it does is check if the word is spelled right, you also need to use grammer checker. You are one of the worst in not knowing the difference between then and than. Grammer checker will catch these errors. Also, grammer checker will force you to stop writing in phrases. I know that people talk in phrases, but when they talk, meaning is given with the use of vocal tone and emphasis of the words spoken. The purpose of writing, is to convey the same message through the use of words. Most often, the message will have to use many more words to impart meaning than a simple spoken phrase

LickideesplitLickideesplitalmost 12 years ago
ANON - Grammer (sic)

Awwwwkkkward. Anon, your spail-cheekre is ouda wack! It's "GrammAr"

(don't feel too bad - I've been there and done that myself - Today!)

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 12 years ago
B.S.

I like your work, but this was a total BULL-SHIT STORY---What is it with the fucking wine--WINO`S I GUESS--

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 12 years ago
Bullshit....

Another wimp husband story. Ends up kissing his wife's ass. Hope she cleaned Ronnie's cum out first. How stupid can a story get.

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
Really!!!!

She loves Ronnie but he doesn't want children This screams DNA test to me. I would have a DNA ASAP. Then she comes back 21/2 hours after going to see Ronnie to tell him its over. Ronnie must have lived fairly close since he was over so often. Crying, makeup messed up, jumps in the shower and won't tell what went on. For me her ass wouldn't even made it inside the house. What a retarded ending.

Drbeamer3333Drbeamer3333over 11 years ago
Loved it

It is refreshing to read stories like this. Reminds me of the importance of communication, and fighting for the ones you love. This one will result in a big hug for my wife tonight. Very well written.

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
I have read 3 times

I can see the reasons for some of the comments... This one is too close at home for me.. I doubt the author will re write but this is one I would love to see done again...

I really enjoyed even with some critical spaces in the story... This is a clear 5 star

MattAkerMattAkerover 11 years ago
Face it, Steve is a WIMP

1. Ok, so Ronnie kissed and grabbed her, and after a while she shoved him off. I wouldn't consider that cheating either, but when she kept her mouth shut about what happened and STILL associated with Ronnie, the douché that disrespected her, her husband and their marriage... THAT was when she started cheating. In my honest opinion she should have told Steve what Ronnie did, so he could smack Ronnie down, and cut all ties to Ronnie herself. Instead she subjected her husband to thinking Ronnie was a nice guy and friend of hers... Ommitting truth is just another form of lying. Also, for her to allow her ex to hang out with her, to the point that her marriage is sexless, you mean there are women that actually wont notice they don't have sex with their husband? They had only been married for 7 years, not 57... That early in a relationship the sexlife won't deteriorate...

2. Ruth's therapy plays a major part in the story, how important communication is in a relationship... Telling a guy you have been furious with, that has hurt you severely in the past, that you don't want ANY contact whatsoever, well face it, it takes at the most 10 minutes... And since he was always visiting, to the point Steve and Ann's lovelife deteriorated, he couldn't have been that far away... Yet when Ann returns 2.5 HOURS after "talking" to Ronnie, with makeup ruined, signs of crying, and proceeds to take a shower, he says when asked that he doesn't want to know what's wrong... Taking a shower is a common sign of wanting to wash away guilt... Anyhow, great example of communication on Steves behalf right? Sure, some readers might say that it is a "sign" of how much he trusts her, but it could just as well be a sign that he thinks the worst, and are afraid to know the truth, she kept quiet about Ronnies romantic designs and advances on her before... Communication means NO secrets (other than presents etc =3).

Anyhow, conclusion: Steve=WIMP

Love the story though, but those 2 items are my "hangups" over it. =)

Cheers

Mattias (Sweden)

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous