All Comments on 'When We Were Married Ch. 03A'

by DanielQSteele1

Sort by:
  • 224 Comments
HarddaysknightHarddaysknightalmost 14 years ago
The sidebar with the old

wife killer was an interesting touch, but a good prosecutor would have little trouble getting over it. All he did was present the truth. If the truth was too much for some people, they have the problem, not the messenger. Deb is just not very likable and part of it is the great sex she is having. Now it is hard to imagine Bill ever getting the job done properly if they get back together! Thanks and keep writing!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 14 years ago
one more 5 star rating

already waiting for the next installment! Thanks again for sharing!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 14 years ago
Like I said earlier

It is possible for even a good writer to write themselves into a corner.

The story was over already, all this added stuff did was fill in nothing. Your lead character changed to something less than he began as, the beautiful and desireable wife became old, unlikable and slipping into something she was not at the beginning.

The early chapters had a magic, the attention they brought should have been an obvious indication. Yet like the aging heavyweight champion, you go back for one last accolade.

And end up on the floor. Sorry, but it's always best to reread what you have already written before going on. I am being generous with my average vote here.

JustForPostingJustForPostingalmost 14 years ago
Extremely well written disaster

I love the writing, the attention to detail... but damn, that was unpleasant.

This installment was just lousy. It misfired all over the place, and I lost all feeling for the protagonist in the courtroom sequence.

I felt this was just a great vomiting of words, and not the continuation of a story that held my interest.

DQS, you're a fine writer, but I won't be following this story any longer.

Y'all 'scuse me, I feel a need to run off and get a shower after reading this.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 14 years ago
I Think You Are All That

And you are writing, so thats what counts. Lawyers are a different breed anyway so is anyone in the system. You see things no one should see, that is the nature of the beast. Reporters are unfortunly different, at least now, they let their own beliefs influence their stories, the lack of real reporting on the real obama a case in point, we elected him president and he has gotten a complete pass, just like J.F.K. People want to believe he was what he looked like, but he wasn't. Keep writing and I'll keep reading, it's better than the real world, thanks.

xtremeddxtremeddalmost 14 years ago
Damn this is great writing

Stopped my day cold, just had to read it now.

Look forward to more of your work

X

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 14 years ago
Great

"The cynics are right. There are no happy endings and the unhappiest of all is when you truly love another."

Interesting that Bill was expecting the end of the marriage for 18 years, or at least it was haunting him in the background. I suppose that may explain why he devoted his life to his job, knowing that it was destroying his relationship with his wife. Sounds like you are telling us his professional success was a self fulfilling prophesy and that may well have been true. At least when she is gone, he does have a good job to turn to.

Contrary to some comments, this was a good chapter that revealed more about the two central characters and particularly the demons lurking in Debbie's pretty head. I have thoughts about where this is going, but will wait to read, rather than postulate on line.

kilcannonkilcannonalmost 14 years ago
One for the gipper

I am loving this anthology. I usually do not like reading multi-chaptered stories untill I am sure the whole thing is out. That is becasue here, writers either take for ever to add the subsequent chapters or never do. But somehow I am making an exception in your case. As to the lady that you refer to in this story, the one using the Dan Quayle line, it did not work for him either.

fregenfregenalmost 14 years ago
These people really don't like themselves

Bill lived for 18 years waiting for his wife to leave him? Deb has to be with Bill, or Doug, - or as she put it – some other man to validate her worth?<P>

If I may use an overused term, the lack of self esteem here is astounding. These are two successful professional individuals with significant accomplishments and they seem to be totally lacking in any positive self image<P>

Have to confess I don't get it. I did like the fact that Deb was really really honest with Doug and where this affair was going – no where. I come back to my earlier question, exactly what was she envisioning for her future when she dumped Bill? Still a mystery to me.<P>

I had noted the link ins to your other Jacksonville stories, especially the judge with the ex-con bailiff. BTW I would really like to know how Cyndi from “The Last Goodbye” who is Lyle's sister-in-law from “Moment of Clarity” is getting on. She was pretty much the only one from that story that I found sympathetic.<P>

I will be back. Thanks for sharing.

sexmatesexmatealmost 14 years ago
Interesting chapter

Now both characters leave a lot to be desired. That last case turned Bill into a complete heartless un-feeling bastard. And Deb is just a shallow piece of ass with big tits. A bit of a turn around from the eatlier chapters.

Story was well written but it offered very little to the plot of the story.

The courtroom scene is like something that I have watched on t.v. . So that was very interesting to watch it play out in my mind.

Thanks for the entertainment

BobNbobbiBobNbobbialmost 14 years ago
This one deserves an OMG

Your story is like looking in your closet in the morning and trying to decide what suit to wear today, except all of the greys, and navy blues and dark pinstrips have been replaced with suits of bright colors and wild plaids. The world of your characters and their stories is certainly full of twists, turns and surprises.

I am not quite sure of your intent on the trial of the old man. Possibly it was just a convenient vehicle for introducing two more colorful characters who will show up in the future. Possibly the scene represents another stroke on the canvas of Bill Maitland's portrait. Does the scene reflect the six sigma definition of quality, doing right things right everytime? Not sure on that one.

It does allow an expected counterpoint to Debbie's nightmare. Her nightmare scene was so real it was almost frightening. The throwing Doug out scene worked well too. Talk about breaking the mood of a good fuck and having cold water thrown all over a rampant pecker. Jacking Doug into the toilet so he can be flushed away for untimely remarks is as tough a love as I can imagine.

This chapter is going great at the start and if you deliver as you have so far with this and your other stories, B, C thru N will be worth waiting for.

torchthebitchtorchthebitchalmost 14 years ago
Who appointed you the Angel of Death, Mr. Maitland?

The man who killed a woman for sex. What an exquisite dilemna for our protagonist. I prefered this chapter to the previous one. Interesting that Bill clings to his work whereas Debbie's emotions have gained an upper hand. I rather felt she would be a bit more clinical. The woman in the grave will doubtless enlighten us.

size14shoesize14shoealmost 14 years ago
Who is the real wimp?

And the winner is... Dougie. Dougie is subtlely being revealed as a pathetic wimp who happens to have a big dick and knows how to fuck. Debbie is the boss, however, and she has made it clear she ain't putting up with his trash-talking Bill. I love it.

In Debbies nightmare she saw what a huge mistake she made. There seems to be no reconciliation in sight. What with Bill seeing Debbie as always going to leave and Debbie seeing the damage caused by the emails, the awards banquet fiasco, screwing Dougie in the "marital bed," etc., as too much to overcome, their attitudes would preclude their even thinking about getting back together.

The romantic in me thinks that a good marriage counselor could turn this thing around without too much difficulty since the physical cheating didn't start until after the awards banquet. Nobody has a problem visualizing his wife flirting with another man when man and wife are having sex.

Is Bill better off without her? As it was, yes. Is hot sex for a few years worth it to Debbie? Who knows. What is Debbie going to do when Kelly is out of the house and in university? Who's going to hold her then?

Bill may be right to kick her to the curb or Debbie may be right going for the gusto but my guess is both will second guess themselves as they endure the dreariness of a life alone and without love. Bill will fare far better than Debbie. Bill has strength of character and Debbie is dependent on her looks and attractiveness to men, not her character.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 14 years ago
This story has gotten better every chapter.

I confess that I totally hated it. It was unbelievable, the characters were retarded and the actions were completely cantrary to human nature; however, as you have fleshed out the story, you have added depth and life to each of the central characters. While I still think that Maitland is an ass who didn't deserve his wife, you have make them believable, likable and human. Thanks for writing.

size14shoesize14shoealmost 14 years ago
to BobNbobbi

The trial gave Bill insight into his own relationship with Debbie.

Average_WriterAverage_Writeralmost 14 years ago
Well done writer.

I can only say thank you for this story. It is a very good read. one of the best if not the best I have ever read. Keep the chapters coming.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 14 years ago
Hurry up

Can we speeds it up a little? By the way I liked Debbie confronting Doug!

I think we all know the characters and we know Debbie is a hot broad that allowed herself to come out using her fat hubby as an excuse...so, can we move along...a little quicker.

I don't see Bill as a sleep around or in a love situation on a rebound, maybe accepting a position at the state level, maybe running for State Attorney General...anyway, succesful with a great reputation while Debbie slowly slides into older age and begins to show it...TooooooBad!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 14 years ago
I would have expected more from Debbie

I am disappointed with how Debbie's character is progressing in this chapter. Hell, her life had a different direction from Bill's even during the first 10 years of their marriage. But are beautiful women as Debbie always so obsessed with their beauty and its precipitous loss after 4? I don't think so, at least in my experiences. Debbie now lives and dreams about her beauty and men's reactions to her beauty. Somehow, someway, I think that Debbie and Bill should get back together as a couple. They shared an era, common enjoyment of music, a way of thinking, kids, common memories, all this despite Bill's separate life as a state attorney. RAG

cal6009cal6009almost 14 years ago
i AM VERY, VERY DISAPPOINTED.

I hpe you plan to write another chapter to tie-up all of the loose ends, including those you added in this chapter. I am not looking for a happy ending or a sad ending; but rather an ending which acheives closuer for the challenges faced by the main characters, or at least an ee nding that points in a particular direction. I like to solve puzzles, but you left Debbie, Doug and Bill's chacters in a mess.

PostScriptorPostScriptoralmost 14 years ago
Excellent...

Agree with Average_Writer about it.<br><br>

Was waiting with baited breath to see how you would handle the trial -- so he had a girlfriend on the side! Still, I think most of us would understand the dilemma that he was in; indeed, it wouldn't be hard to conceive that his wife might not tell him to take full advantage of his neighbor widow woman. But it sure would look bad. <br><br>

Glad that Debbie let Doug know where he stood, and hopefully, Doug will indeed find another nest to foul, far away from her.<br><br>

Look forward to the next chapter!!!

energystarenergystaralmost 14 years ago
to size14shoe

I may agree. Was he the husband or the wife? I am not trying to be funny. Thanks.

vietvetvietvetalmost 14 years ago
GOD?

What a dilemma. I find myself in somewhat close agreement with size14shoe. There are differences in our interpretation of some facets of this chapter, but will have to discuss them later, as I am late for a very important appointment. Life goes on but I will return later.

Way to go Phil.

Tom

muirmadramuirmadraalmost 14 years ago
Action Figures ...

In your stories, you create extremely strong characters, in their beliefs and commitments! But, in their complex makeup, you shove in a number of weaknesses making them a little more human, more vulnerable. The issue I have, is there is no proper balance between the two. I find I like the players of your stories but then become angry when, despite their obvious intelligence and experience, they become less than who they actually are.

Debbie needs to wake up and smell the coffee. I think you may be heading in that direction, but, you are full of surprises and I'm not that concerned about her, anyway. She may have hidden issues from her past but ... she's still a slut.

Bill needs someone or something to break through that solid steel wall he's built around himself with his "important" work" with the D.A.'s Office. Sorry, been there ... there are much more important things in life; such as, family. When they are gone, you have nothing.

And dear old Doug, well ... he needs to learn the facts of life the hard way. We all do one way or another. He's just been living on borrowed time.

But! It's been a hell of ride with this story. Keep it up.

GrumpyGambyGrumpyGambyalmost 14 years ago
Big Breath out, slow breath in.

That was fun!

Loved how you ended it. Bill's left to contemplate the meaning of his life and life's work, while adjusting to a broken heart. No happy endings indeed.

Debbie's dream was odd to say the least. I think you put that in there just to give the ranting posters something to rant about. In that case, it will work. Looking forward to your next.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 14 years ago
GOOD, BIT NOT GTEAT

This part of the story judt reionforces my belief that the onl;y possibleending to this story is reconcilliation. They are now soul-searching. they are both stubborn, but obviously still in love with esch other. please do not turn a great story into a so-so srory. you are too good of a writer fo that.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 14 years ago
Well written story

Thanks for this update. I first want to say that I tried writing a story once, it is much harder than most of us know. I had to concede that I am not an author.

However, that never stops a critic!

Your use of the dream to help focus the foibles of Debbie was well done. I did not agree however with the trial part. My father, brother and uncles are attorneys. As my brother says, "they removed my heart when I passed the bar." If this trial caused him such problems, he needs to get out of the profession. Murder is murder, his team found that the man killed b/c of a girlfriend. No one likes their dirty laundry aired in public, but the daughter should have been mad at her dad, not the prosecutor who found him out.

I re-read all your chapters. I feel as if you are changing the characters, not merely developing them. The wife is becoming a moron. I also do not agree with the consensus that Bill was totally at fault in their marraige breakup. There were no demands for counseling, no demands for a change b/c she was falling out of love with a man who wasn't there. If she had given him some ultimatums, Bill mostly likely would have been startled into action.

I also note that you have Bill going to a gym for boxing. There is no way in Hell a 40+ year old small guy could take on a much larger 28 year old guy in good shape who had been a golden gloves boxer. Please don't have them go that way. However, you were clever to have him deck him with a lucky head but even if Dennis' first punch would have KO'ed him.

Thanks for writing, you really do have a gift.

BTW, I meant to give this a 5 but accidentlly clicked too close to the 4.

-Ttom

RehnquistRehnquistalmost 14 years ago
Grand Slam.

First, your writing, particularly the descriptive prose, takes my breath away. Simply outstanding and getting better with each installment.

Second, and contrary to what most--but not all--commenters noted, the courtroom scene was gripping, very realistic (except the public defender's swearing--I guarantee he'd be in contempt), and painted a stark picture of the daily dilemmas posed within our legal system. Bill is less sympathetic because he brought out the true facts, the revelation of which caused Mr. Bingham to kill himself? I don't think so. If the daughter wanted to be angry at anyone, she should have been angry with her father, with the neighbor lady, with God for putting them all in such a sad, heart wrenching position. But don't shoot the messenger for pointing out the truth. Also, Bill never was permitted a closing argument to tell us what he really thought the Court should mete out for punishment, so we're left to presume--based on his reaction at learning of the suicide--that he's crushed by the outcome. It reminds me of when people approach me and ask how I can live with myself representing people I know are guilty. Easy, I say. Our Constitution--that little technicality upon which our entire system of government is based--requires the State to prove guilt. Still, want a really sleepless night as a criminal defense attorney? Try representing someone you KNOW is 100% innocent and see how you sleep trying to keep him or her out of prison or the death chamber. That's the sleepless night.

Third, this chapter has given us our best glimpse into Debbie's demons and motivations. And it was very well done. I had pictures of Scrooge and the Ghost of Christmas Future throughout the scene.

Finally, to the one commenter who pointed out that Bill's fears about Debbie being too good for him didn't match him working his fingers to the bone and putting in such long hours. Bullshit. That's exactly what he'd do: He'd make damned sure that this perceived goddess had a beautiful house, that his children had the best of everything, and he'd kill himself to provide her comfort. Sorry, but I think that's what guys do, for better or worse: Men provide, women nurture. Skewed, maybe an overgeneralization, but it was in Men Are From Mars, Women Are From Venus, and it sure as hell describes my life pretty well.

Like the one commenter who noted this ongoing saga seems to have already passed its natural closing point, I can only note that I'm eagerly awaiting the next chapter to find out what you have left in store for us!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 14 years ago
Please hurry with the rest

For 2 reasons. First it's still very good reading and, therefore, (at least I am) it isn't pleasant to leave the readers anxious for the rest. Second, although this chapter tried to give a better understanding of conflicting feelings on both sides, it slows the story down. If all the chapters are split in a-b-c, this will keep us reading and waiting for weeks to come with the danger of loosing interest. Personally, I would appreciate a longer chapter to move on faster. I said I'm anxious, right. And that's probably why some readers said this chapter brought nothing to the story. However, a better insight in the personalities and minds of the characters is adding just that bit more and makes it a better story all togheter. So, please hurry.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 14 years ago
Fantastic story !

DQS your work continues to amaze. What makes this line of stories so different is the window into the life of a prosecutor. We get snapshots of human behavior at both it's best and worst at a visceral level.

I have read your other stories and like the links into the lives of the other characters- adds a level of depth and realism.

You are without a doubt one of the best writers on this site. Thanks for the work and look forward to your next chapter.

Joyce770Joyce770almost 14 years ago
Can you spell potato?

It was supposed to hurt! Sorry, I just couldn’t resist taking the cheap shot. Quayle was an idiot, you clearly are not. You do have talent there is no doubt about that. <P>

I believe you were the one who made the initial comparison to Gary. His premise in B2B was quite a stretch but somehow twenty two chapters later it was all plausible. Perhaps I’m being presumptuous in thinking I know where you are going with your tale but it’s going to be a tough sell. Fat and happy Bill not having a clue and slutty Debbie lusting after every man she sees. Why didn’t you go the whole nine yards and make Doug black? <P>

I really got into B2B but couldn’t buy into WWWM; consequently I made the remark I did. (Poli sci major in college) I think it is the greatest squelch ever. <P>

Writers write and readers read. Maybe we don’t always get what the author intended out of the story but that’s the nature of the art. I don’t need a play by play from the author. <P>

I don’t want your head to get any bigger than it already is, so I will tell you I did not read today’s chapter in total. A friend of mine told me you mentioned me (Not by name, ouch). <P>

If a story doesn’t interest me I quit reading. Unlike some people who will bitch about it every chapter until its completion. Fortunately Lit is free and I do appreciate you taking the time to write, Thank you.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 14 years ago
Still not really sure who the protagonist is here.

I want you to tell me who the main character of this is. The husband is too boring and the wife is now a total 1 dimensional slut. Is it the secretary and you're working up to a big reveal?

size14shoesize14shoealmost 14 years ago
Energystar

You say, "I may agree. Was he the husband or the wife? I am not trying to be funny. Thanks."

`

I'm clueless as to what you are talking about. I'll try to answer but you'll have to explain or cut and paste your reference. Or Go to my profile and answer there. This probably doesn't need to be here taking up space.

Phil

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 14 years ago
Frank who?

Now who the hell is this - Frank? And the ghost? Ok it was Debbie's inner self, but who's the lady from the grave?? Am I missing something here, I didn’t read other stories by this writer so I’m not getting who’s who. Can someone PLEASE tell me what’s going on? Size14shoe, vietvet, Harry?? Anyone, PLEASE…

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 14 years ago
FORGET THE IDIOTS THAT DON'T GET IT

Forget the idiots that don't get it DQS1. My own personal opinion is this is one heck of a thriller. The character development is great. I realize that you are trying get us inside their heads. I have said it before and I'll keep on saying it. They've all missed it. It'll be interesting to see how you tie it in.

Incidentally I love all the critics. I wonder how many of them have ever tried to write and realize how hard it is. I have and it's not easy. Fun but not easy.

Keep up the good work and ignore the ignoramus's. This is like a good book you start reading and can't put down. It's like the J. K. Rowling series on Harry Potter. I don't usually read stuff like that. My wife nagged the hell out of me to read it for months. Finally one night she said just read a chapter or two if you don't like it I'll never mention it again. That was about 9:30pm. I said okay just to get her off my back about it. I started reading. At 2:00am I was still reading. She has this way of writing that just sucks you into it; makes you part of it. You do the same thing. Keep up the good work and thanks for writing DQS1

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 14 years ago
It was a good read

I have enjoy your story... There are very few real happy end in life... But i would love to read would happen to them about 5 year down the road...

Harryin VAHarryin VAalmost 14 years ago
this chapter was Fooking FABULOUS! Strongly agree with Rehnquist

WONDERFUL chapter.

and Sorry ONLY THE LONLYLOVE... I was right. It IS guilt... NOT love.

I have to say I am intrigued by this latest chapter. DQS does several things very well and only a few things not so much.

BILL's trial is an allegory or an analogy to what happened in his marriage

I suppose some readers are reacting strongly to the cold-bloodedness of Bill and how he handles this murder/ mercy killing case. My initial thoughts upon reading where the old man did in fact have a "girlfriend" on the side... was that the author was going to use this as a way of getting Bill to see how important sex is to SOME individuals.

But in Fact the trial is an allegory for what happend in the marriage. In fact Bill actually says it ... "he killed his wife...I killed my marriage..."

The old man was when he was younger was a strong good looking guy and his wife was a Hottie. They had a good sex life and they were faithful to each other end as they aged... until the cancer came.

At this point I suspected that the author was going to assert that Bill's career/ professional obsession was the cancer that Killed the marriage LONG before the wife cheated ..first emotionally then sexually with Doug.

But DQS did NOT do that... at least not yet. But the underlying message here is clear.

With regard to Debbie... Her relationship with Doug and her overall demeanor makes lot more sense in THIS chapter. She and Doug are fare again ucking like Bunnies so maybe the sexual pressure has been relieved.. and debbie seems a lot more in contril

In any event Debbie is NOT one of those super twisted slut woman that we see in JPB or Matt Moreau's stories. Her reaction to Doug's super macho smearing of Bill ... even IF was just pillow talk... is out of bounds because she did not really want all of "this" to happen.

THAT is what the dream shows... from Debbie's point of view she watched her 'hero" get obessed with work... ignored her and the kids... get older pasty and flabby..... while her sexual frustration increased. Undoubtedly part of her did NOT want all of this to happen.

Like I said 4 chapters ago... its Guilt.

Harryin VAHarryin VAalmost 14 years ago
anyone ever read THOMAS MOORE CARE OF THE SOUL???

THOMAS MOORE breakthrough new age book from the late 1990s CARE OF THE SOUL.... is a very interesting read even for a cold hard scientist ENTP type like me.

In his book... Moore makes the point ...in great detail and with clarity... that Humans often become what they DO NOT want by focusing on or listening to what they fear.

For example I have a sister and 2 brothers . My folks had a long nasty bitter divorce. My father fought in Spanish civil war ... WW2 with OSS... in Russia and in P alestine/ Israel in 1947 1948. He was always into BIG causes but on a a personal level he was NOT a warm loving man (no surprise there). Over the years many times my brothers thru 2 marriages (EACH) have told me they are terrified of becoming fathers/ dads.

And so they havent.

And it that way they have become exactly like the father they did NOT want to emulate. My father had NO close relationships in part because of the wars and horrors he had seen. And now neither do my 2 older brothers.

Funny how that works out....

Parenthetically I have been married 17 years... have 2 kids... a well know internet business.... own a huge house... and loved being a stay at home dad.

When ask by my oldest brother ... "werent you scared? how did you did you get into the Dad role so well when we had no role models..."

"simple"....I said...." I though what dad was like. Then I did the opposite. "

In this story BILL seems to have e always had this underlying fear that Debbei was out of his league... and that in the end he could NOT hold / Keep Debbie.

So by listening at some level to fear he pulled away and let himself get drawn into work...

and in doing he lost the woman he did not want to lose.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 14 years ago
Trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear

Maybe I'm just old fashioned but its getting harder and harder to see this "complex" dranma, and trampier and trampier Deb, other than basically as a shallow, self centered, cheating, asshole, and now psychotic, whore of a wife feeling a need to cat around on hubbie before her nips start pointing South (read: this is just a JPB story written as if it were War & Peace). No matter how deep you try to portray these people and relationship, this exchange between Doug and Deb on p. 3 "You are coming back?"..."Do I look like an idiot? I'll take what I can get..." says it all, and points out the only difference between these two and the guests on Springer is that Deb and Doug have jobs. For now. Any man and woman having hot monkey sex and then addressing and responding to eachother like that are trash and pigs. Read: "Are you coming back (to service me and to get what you can off me)?" "Yes Deb cause I'm just a dog in heat, and because you willing spread and you trashed your marriage just to get some hard rod without strings, you are just a bitch in heat yourself." I mean come on. Deb a good Mom? Any kinda wife? What kinda dumbed down dictionary definition would you have to consult for her to fit in? Whore yes. With excuses, real, or imagined maybe (Now its going to be Bill's fault cause she "just knew" he must of been sneaking around? Good grief, bet your getting a psychiatrist warming up off stage to make Deb's slut behavior OK cause she's really wacco due to Mommie Issues from when she was a kid and its not her fault). Can call it a duvet but its still a blanket. Can tap dance all you want, but in reality she's still a pig and whore.

digdaddyrichdigdaddyrichalmost 14 years ago
Is this really the end?

If so, how sad!

It's like saying goodbye to old friends, for it seems like I've got to know the characters in this very well written story.

I think the author is wasting his time and talent by giving his work away for free, when he could be selling his work to a publishing company.

Thanks for the good ride, it's been fun.

Rich

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 14 years ago
Funny things happen

when an author abandons his characters in order to appease the readers (commentors). It's like quicksand, the more you struggle the faster you sink. And finally you're grabbing for straws. Stereotypes bloom all over as you try to shift course. I wish you luck 'cause the ball you're rolling keeps getting bigger.

bdoggriffenbdoggriffenalmost 14 years ago
still loving it

I am so interested in these characters and so curious about what happens to them. Great job.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 14 years ago
Dissappointed... No Progress?

YOu promised this chap would be something forwarding, it goes nowhere, instead it goes back where it was "A MESS". And if now we are going to see that Bill feel guilty for Dragging the man to Death for killing his wife, then this too much to take, Once you Showed that it was right thing for Wife to Dump husband because OTHERS think she is too hot for him, and he does not deserve her. Now you are going to justify it Right thing to kill a wife because husband was too much of a stud and did deserve a sexually active partner. why one have to suffer for what every one thinks. And anyway who knew he was already guilty for killing his wife. You cant blame somebody because he did not know what was going in your mind. And what do you expect from someone who is trying to do what he was supposed to do. You are blaming him because he did what he was supposed to do.

And When you are professional you need to be professional, lawyers are hired to work in favor of their client. Lawyer are not to Judge if they think it against their morals then they should not take that case, but after that going according your own values is something which will always blow in your face. Never be personnel with someone you are supposed to be professional. Being Personnel of two Professor is the root cause of problem in this story.

You said yo are working hard to keep it fast, but you are working hard to drag it as much as possible. This thing always makes difference. There is Difference in Great and All time Great.

My personnal advise to you is not to drag it too much, you will feel good for now but when you finish it you will feel like loser who screwed up for one time popularity.

Some people said about GaryAPB, he is my fav to, i wont campare you with him. But he wrote, All time great stories. I have read them many times I still read them again some time. A story should always progress otherwise it is "DEAR DIARY" if you write each single detail of their day without resolve. And we know how we read Diaries, Skipping pages. I wish I would not have started reading this story now, it would have been better if i read when it is finished, but i read and now i want it to end. If you can make readers say "Please Dont Finish this" then you are writing really great story.

Dont take it too personally, well this why readers are, arent they. And don't worry people will read it to the end. Yes to the end, But please do not end it like your other stories. Without closure. You always leave without closer.

"Dream wife" man still thinks her wife could not even kiss like her ex-wife. It shows he was still missing his ex-wife. Remember Love is Blind , when you love somebody, he/she is the one in world, no-one is better. Experience can make Sex Better not love. Love always beat Great Sex.

Sex is only like a Drug, you try to get something, you will never get, like drunker go for drink to forget all mess in his life does he? never get a peace he wanted, so do it again and again, until you get that something. And that something in doing sex is love.

in "Moment" he was in love with his wife when he left, but she was not, love is something which just happens. You have to make it. It always start with some any one of feeling like lust, need, comfort, admiration, friendship or fondness. And Growing of rest of the feelings is falling in love. So living with a person for eight years, who is in love with you and trying to make it work, eventually make fall in lave with them. -- I had been with girls who were supposedly Sexual animal in bed before i married my wife, who was just plain and simple woman, but i just cared about her, because she was naive. See it was not love in first sight but i cant imagine I could love someone else more. Love grows with time. And about sex you don't need input from you spouse if you love your spouse. You don't prove to hm/ her your love you prove it yourself, that you love her/him. If she/he responses it assures you both are in love. I have seen people who only for money as sole reason but eventually ends up as great loving couple.

in "Last Good By" you left husband still insecure for his wife's fidelity in future. But in that story i agree with wife, she tried but got no response even rejected very coldly by husband, but cheating was still too much.

You have all what it need to write a great story, but only thing which matters is do you want to?

juanwildonejuanwildonealmost 14 years ago
A for Effort

and a good one at that. Quite the cast of challenged souls DQS has assembled here; I have officially given up any idea of speculating where this is going (especially based on the authors endnote!) I mean really, an anthology? - this is all part of a huge freakin' anthology!

Hell of a story ... oh and DQS "who made you God?" Is there any chance of a likable character? Anyone?

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 14 years ago
You screwed up.

Now even if deb goes back to Bill, the only reason will be she does not want to end up lonely and alone without partner. So now whatever the end will be it will be no good. And if they go separate, i just hope it not be like in the last two lines " Two years after that I met a beautiful lady, she is not beautiful like deb but she loves me, and we are happy, Deb met a great guy I like him too, I hope he happiness." these type of lines are great when they realize after few years of marriage that it is not working, not after 18 yrs you wake up and realize "oh it was not working anyway, we we were never in love"

I will still read it, but not wait most like i was doing. Thank for letting know what is there in future, But try to put some more sex scenes instead of courtroom actions to make it worth reading. At least people with cuck fantasy will love to read Debbie and Doug love scenes. But for others try to put some thing for Bill. Get him laid at least once, OK only blow-job. But do something for him.

PistolpackinpetePistolpackinpetealmost 14 years ago
What the fuck IS closure, any way????...

...just a dream pal. Great emotive writing here author, I think the best chapter yet. Reinquist,---Men in that situation work themselves to the bone not just to "overprovide" and hedge agains't the coming storm, but even more to attain something the bitch CAN'T TAKE AWAY!!Don't agree that living with the dying is like you say, if you know real love you never lose your respect for someone or recognition of their dignity.Disagree about sex in 80's. Not happening for most for a variety of reasons, too numerous to mention unless some delusional blue head wants to argue.If Doug is such a stud, why would he stay one minute longer with douchebag? She can't help his career any more.Disagree there are many women out there who will not scream bloody murder even in the midst of orgasm if you bite their nips hard! Just for shitting---you suck! Thanks fot the read!!!!

kelly_kellykelly_kellyalmost 14 years ago
Great Chapter...

Doug is such a DOG...I mean, all he wants — is to sleep with Debbie, no self respect. I liked the way Debbie shows him where he stands in her life. Whatever she said was absolutely true. I don't know why, but I really hate Doug (I know he's just a "fictional" character) At least she's thinking from her brain now.

The nightmare scene was outstanding! It shows her inner insecurities. All her married life she was insecure that Bill used his job as a cover/mask to hide his "tryst" with other females. — “You really are so stupid that you think he stopped fucking you and throwing you down because he lost the desire? He was getting everything he needed at the office. And you really believed he just stopped wanting sex with you because he couldn't get it up. He couldn't get it up because younger women than you were getting all his best moves.”

*-*-*

Harry pointed out perfectly — But in Fact the trial is an allegory for what happend in the marriage. In fact Bill actually says it ... "he killed his wife...I killed my marriage..."

One complaint though — there isn’t any balance (yet) I mean, Debbie is getting all her “jollies” while Bill isn’t — it’s high time, he should get his share.

Reconciliation (from here) is a tough road ahead. I’m not sure if that’s on your mind — but I do have a feeling. All said and done — how many more chapters will be there? I guess this will go up to Chapter 03D (or more?)

~Kelly~

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 14 years ago
COMMUNICATION! For god's sake...

Harry in VA wrote "[...]THAT is what the dream shows... from Debbie's point of view she watched her 'hero" get obessed with work... ignored her and the kids... get older pasty and flabby..... while her sexual frustration increased. Undoubtedly part of her did NOT want all of this to happen.[...]"

I very much hope this court case was not written in by the author as a way for Bill to come to the conclusion that his love of his work was the cancer that lead Debbie to end their marriage. That would mean this whole story is flawed in my opion because there is one big problem that makes the comparison between the court case and his marriage totally irrelevant. Communication!

You can't compare teminal cancer with Bill's love of his work. You can't, short of a miracle, undo terminal cancer, yet all Debbie had to do was present Bill with an ultimatum: "Get your head out of your ass and start concentrating on your family, or I'm moving on!" and their marriage would, with help from familiy, friends and/or professionals, start to heal - or end then and there. Otherwise Bill would be totally at fault and Debbie totally innocent in the failure of their marriage; which is definitely not the case. I feel that there has been an unreasonable amount of blame placed on Bill for the failure of their marriage, because Debbie never confronted him about her issues with him working too much and ignoring her, their children and himself to some extent. Communication is one of the most basic requirements for any marriage to work. In fact I personally think it is almost as important as the three most fundamental feelings/emotions required for a strong, healthy marriage: mutual respect, trust and love. Yet in this story Debbie's lack of communicating her issues is being totally ignored and all blame is being placed squarely on Bill it seems.

I'm still waiting for someone to walk up to Debbie, smack her across the face, and say "You are just as much at fault as Bill is! Grow up!"

Up until reading this chapter I honestly felt this story was really drawn out because it all came down to lack of communication. It does however seem like Debbie has some issues... I don't know how they are going to explain her not communicating her feelings to Bill, but I'm hoping DQS will find a way, otherwise this story is just going to be a long-winded, yet well written story about two people and a big fuck-up.

vietvetvietvetalmost 14 years ago
To anonymous: Well written story: Ttom

I disagree with your premise that a 40+ year old man cant whip a 20 something golden glove boxer.

In previous comments I have stated that Bill won the first fight, even though he was pretty well slapped around, by being the last man standing and Dougie having to be assisted off the floor and to a chair where he whined and cried like a baby.

The people at the dinner were OK with letting the fight go on until Bill started to kick Dougie ass.

NOW TO THE REASON A 40+ MAN can take a 20 something golden glove boxer is that the GGB is an armature and doesn't know how to fight in a knock down fight of the street variety where it is root hog or die. Bill showed in the first fight he is a "FIGHTER" and a winner because every time Dougie knocked Bill down he got back and kept coming until he won.

One thing you young punks need to learn is dint get into a fight with an old guy, because if he cant beat you, he will probably shoot you.

Greybear42Greybear42almost 14 years ago
Painful

I love this story because its not about creating the phony perfect ending life is tough, its not fair and sometime it just sucks. On the flip side Bill had a number of wonderful years with a special woman, 2 kids and a job that was special to him if not always fun so his life was not horrible from beginning to end.

cal6009cal6009almost 14 years ago
WHAT DOES DEBBIE REALLY WANT?

What exctly does Debbie wxpect to gain by divorcing Bill. Does she have some long term goals she wish to achieve that she could not pursue while married. It now clear she really is in charge of her relationship with Doug. She seem to be in a holding pattern waiting for another triggering event ( like the relations with Doug) to move her forward to the next stage of her life. She knows she is operation within a time constraint as her attractive physical features will soon start deteriorating, and then she’ll no .longer attract the type of men who fit her prototype. Is Gus correct in asserting that she was forced by circumstances during and following the award dinner to seek a divorce. I have tried my best to like The character Debbie, but damnit she continues to do things that simply reaffirms that she is a REAL BITCH AND SLUT IN THe MAKING.

Now DQS, why are you now raising the possibility that Bill has an inferiority complex in relations to Debbie. By introducing this you raise the possibility that Bill devoted most of his time to his job because he knew that sooner or later Debbie was going to leave him; and yet, as a reader has already mentioned, he was trying to forestall her leaving by giving her everything associated with the good life and would make her happy. GO FIGURE!!!

whatever2258whatever2258almost 14 years ago
OK

All I took away from this chapter is few things 1 Bill did the right thing again no matter the cost. 2 Debbie is a selfish slut that cares about no one but herself Good mother give me a break she says she is guilty about cheating on Bill but is she ? she knows Doug only wanted to get in to her pants while pretending to be only a friend but she still fucks him and if she truly believes she is the one she is crazy.

DQS said in his comments prior to this story will lead to something that a lot of readers have been asking for since the first chapter well I read all the comments from Chapter 1 and most wanted Debbie to be punished in some shape or form don't see it yet she still has the house and kids and has lost nothing except Bill's paycheck. I know this will sound harsh but I think a good punishment for Debbie would be Breast Cancer think about no man will want her except I hate to say but Bill ! he loved all of her not just her body.

Simple49erSimple49eralmost 14 years ago
I think

You are doing just fine. This is a novel. Novels have many chapters. We are only in chapter 3. The story is progressing - slowly - and we are all looking forward to what is next. If this was a book I bought, I will admitt it would be done by now and I might even be going back and rereading it again. Our surmising over characters and plot out of context is fun. Context? That is the completed work where we see everything the author wanted us to see and understand and feel. I also think you should package all the comments from all the stories and as a separate book because they are as much fun as the story. Debbie makes a little more sense now, not much, but a little. Bill and she have yet to make an honest asssessment of their relationship: he takes too much blame and she refuses to look at all her failures and continues looking for excuses. He takes the world on and she runs away from it. And crawling into her daughters bed after sex with Dougie: has she no cooth? My one complaint today is a burning curiosity to see if his children are as shallow as he has developed them so far. In so far as he has developed them, anyway. Damn, this has been fun so far. Thanks.

vietvetvietvetalmost 14 years ago
To anonymous: Frank who?

Because you asked and really should go back and read it again to figure out who the ghost is, try Debbie's mother as the ghost, and Frank as the father, stepfather, or signifies other, that the mother stayed with while he was whoring around on her and cheating like the scum Debbie dreamed that Bill was to justify her cheating in the end.

JennyBearJennyBearalmost 14 years ago
bewildered

I find your character development rather amazing, kind of hard to believe. Debbie is apparently heading toward redemption. She breaks off sex with Doug because he belittles Bill? What was she doing in those e-mails? If memory serves me right she said something to the effect he was never very big but seems to have gotten even smaller. Every man I know would not consider that a complimentary remark. <P>

Doug whom you led us to believe could get any woman he wants, is now reduced to begging for hand jobs. How pathetic! <P>

What’s up with Bill is he turning into a Goth? I thought you were going to give him a makeover? Put the man out in the sun. Now the self assured professional man has an inferiority complex? Give me a break. <P>

Alas, I fear your epic story is starting to unravel.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 14 years ago
Just to...

You have so many readers to answer to. I din't need a reply. Just want to add my encouragement and praise. Well done! And keep doing it.

jasonnhjasonnhalmost 14 years ago
Too much mental masturbation

This chapter, while adding a few bits and pieces, drags. Everybody is in angst going over the same old stuff. The problem is that they aren't being honest about possible futures. Bill has made it clear that he IS his job. He isn't going to change. This is not only about whether he could forgive Debbie for what she has done but it is whether they want the same things in life anymore. Is Debbie going to accept a Bill who continues to be absorbed in his job? I don't think so and Bill isn't planning to give up his position. So that leaves them as a couple exactly nowhere. Yes, it's painful but that's the reality. Doug is an amusing prop but has no real substance and that is how Debbie treats him. Funny. <br>

The whole issue about Bill being God is bogus. His job places him in the position of making these decisions. He has to. And it's not really his job to determine the guilt of innocence of these people. He gathers and presents information. In fact, he is mostly duty bound to present the evidence he finds. Granted he might decide to look a little harder in some cases than others. In this case it he had testimony from the neighbor. What was he supposed to do, ignore it? What evidence does he get to ignore and what evidence does he have to pay attention to? It's too bad the old guy killed himself but he murdered his wife. The judge could have decided on a lenient sentence anyway given the circumstances. Bill didn't have any control of what the judge decided. Bill isn't the bad guy here. He is a position that requires hard decisions be made and people be held accountable for their actions. The juries and judges decide guilt or innocence and the severity of the punishment. Bill shouldn't be losing sleep over his actions as a prosecutor.

gatorhermitgatorhermitalmost 14 years ago
Fascinating Series...

I agree with Rehnquist and (scary) Harry. DQS1 can write. This should be made into a movie. I really like Bill's bald head and black mafia outfits. Good to see Ms. Shallow Narcissist gave a good nightmare - she deserves it. I would like for Bill to meet a bright and caring young lady of average looks who will take care of him and live happily ever after with him, proving the "no happy endings" rule incorrect, such as happened to the lead male in RPSuch's "Fifth Place."

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 14 years ago
Fascinating, indeed

i still think its a "grab his dick, give a blowjob, fuck him, and evrything will be forgiven and forgotten" ending.

but this series is addictive. Kudos to the author.

Rockyderek_caRockyderek_caalmost 14 years ago
Yeay Bill

Great chapter, luv to see our hero rise to the top of the shitpile. But... Shouldn't one of the kids tell mommy to go fuck her skuzzy lover elsewhere??? Any teen ought to resent the lovers presence. Like Bill jr could remind mom that he is a physical clone of his dad, will she abandon him too oneday?? Bill would undoubtedly look good in a goatee, in his new Mercedes ragtop or camero?? And I could see him winning Debbie back too, I sense the forshadowing. Looking forward to the next instalment!

donkinkdonkinkalmost 14 years ago
I'm starting to get bored!

When are you going to finish your story? It's like going around and around and around with no intentions to get to the 'finish line'. You kept us wondering if there would be any reconciliation but at the same time you left us wondering that they can't be together. You're just keeping your stories like 'an egg on a pin', it could drop everywhere but you just kept it there with invisible hand toying with it. Will you please not make it longer, push the egg to just one direction and let it drop so we could move on and be happy with it? To be honest, i'm getting tired reading your almost-no-ending story, be it happy or sad one. Anyway, thanks for good reading.

Just RobJust Robalmost 14 years ago
Damn what's the matter with you people?

Damn what's the matter with you people? Don't you read? You're all phixated on Debbie and Bill. Ever heard of the Magicians tricks. The hand is quicker than the eye. It's a diversion. Stop and think. At the end of Chapter 2d it said this all started in April and it was 3 months later. That would make it probably late June or early July. I don't know of any College or University that has classes that late unless it's summer school. So here is the question: Why is Doug still hanging around????? To keep getting into Debbie's pants??? He said it himself he's history at the school. It doesn't make sense that an educated hunk with a big dick would just hang around because he was getting some great pussy. No I think there is more to this than meets the eye. Another commenter said we all were missing it. He must have picked up something that I missed. Anyway DQS1 great story. Thanks for sharing.

JustForPostingJustForPostingalmost 14 years ago
Hey, PistolPukinPunk

I left an honest assessment of the story, as I saw it. For that, you have to resort to name calling?

I will reiterate: I love the writing. I am done with the characters. I don't like how I felt after I read this. That's just honest and direct. I never insulted him.

So go screw yourself.

cal6009cal6009almost 14 years ago
WHAT DO dEBBIE AND bILL REALLY WANT? ANOTHER THOUGHT

iF TOU ACCEPT THE CONTENT OF DEBBIE'S DREAM AS BEING A REFLECTION OF HER TRUE CONCERNS, THEN ONE COULD CONCLUDE THAT DEBBIE, LIKE BILL, HAS AN INFERIORITY COMPLEX WITH RESPECT TO HER RELATIONS WITH BILL SO, EACH BEHAVED IN WAYS THAT MAKES THE DISSOLUTION OF THEIR MARRIAGE A SELF-FULFILLING PROPHECY.

bruce22bruce22almost 14 years ago
Yet another interesting chapter

I will ditto gatorhermit's comment: the two best commentaries were

Harry's and Rehnquist's. The story is long from over and we are finding more and more details about the people in the story.

One thing that bothers me is that why readers want real people be mere profiles? No one is always a hero or always a coward! Every recognized leading professional that I have gotten to know has his weak points and has done some pretty stupid things along the way. It was frequently part of the learning process that made them what they are today.

Excuse me. I will get off the soap box and just say that I am really enjoying the unfolding of the tale....

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 14 years ago
Outstanding Story -- Best on this site yet!

Keep these chapters coming -- you've got me hooked. This is a great story and the characters are believable and understandable. Post the next chapter soon...please!

Wonder_OneWonder_Onealmost 14 years ago
Why do I keep thinking about this story? Because it causes thinking!

I like this story and this chapter. The characters are multidimentional and I find the story is moving along nicely. Yes I would like the chapters to be published quicker, but I also would like to be rich and fameous and well liked. Oh well.

vietvetvietvetalmost 14 years ago
Ah the foibles of the TV generations.

So many wishing for the 30 or 60 minute (not including commercials) solution to a story.

Please remember a novel is a long story with lots of twists and turns and maybe even plots within plots, or as said by the "MAUDIE", "plans within plans".

Good job DQS1, keep up the story, take your time, develop the characters and present the plans.

Thanks and please hurry with the next installment.

Tom

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 14 years ago
Sideways

This story has gone sideways in this chapter...no umph..no direction...and no pizzazz....same old, same old....in the long run...an editor would delete it....except the soprano look.

vietvetvietvetalmost 14 years ago
Soprano?

I prefer the "VAMPIRE" look. White pasty skin, bald head, black attire,an blood shot eyes from the booze.

What better look for a blood sucking lawyer even if he is a prosecutor?

OldHidekiOldHidekialmost 14 years ago
Another good chapter.

I like your writing style, and I like that you have connected your stories together. I realy enjoyed the "Moment of Clairity" story. You are giving the readers more depth by connecting it to other characters.

I understand that you are showing that Bill and Debbie are having troubles getting through things. I thought Bill had turned a corner on at the end of the last chapter. I am feeling more and more hate towards Debbie. I know that you were trying to give some sympather to her with the dream sequence, and the fact that she sent her lover packing after the first bad word about Bill. You have painted a self gratifing woman who is addicted to attention.

I am now having trouble seeing what, other than a stunning body, would make Bill love such a woman so deeply. He has traveled a high road, and I would expect such a man to also want a woman who also chose such ideals. That is my current problem with Debbie. I have a hard time thinking that Bill would just be allured by a nice collectoin of body parts.

I am looking forward to the next chapter.

curioussscuriousssalmost 14 years ago
Intriguing and apposite

I have misgivings about this episode, although I begin to see a semblance of where the story is going and I like the intended destination.

I liked “gatorhermit”’s analogy to “rpsuch”’s “fifth place” (a fantastic read by the way) story.

Also “Justforposting”’s analysis of supermacho “PistolPukinPunk” or “PistolPissingPete” as I like to refer to IT. Any idiot with an attack dog mentality who thinks he’s superior to anybody else needs a reminder from time to time that he’s only (almost) human. Don’t worry, the open policy on this site means all authors have to live through the reality check. (“I’m here providing people with free entertainment only to be assailed by cretinous ungulates who want me to rewrite my stories so they approve!!!!!!!!!”).

Get a grip fuckwits.

Thank you DQS1.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 14 years ago
Flawed but so very human

The sign of a good story is when you really care about what happens to its characters. A VERY good story will make you care about characters that are fully-fleshed, flawed and live in an imperfect, very human, universe.

Dear author, you have another devoted fan of your stories to add to the growing list. I will wait impatiently for the next chapter.

Regards, AngeloM

cpetecpetealmost 14 years ago

Size14shoe & HarryinVA had it correct –the courtroom scene was a proxy stand in for Debbie and Bill. Debbie was the old man (Bingham) who killed his wife after a lifetime together ,because the invalid wife had changed for the worse –and the old man Bingham wished to have sex with another. Pretty much mirroring Debbie’s action. Debbie was going to kill Bill (emotionally) because even after many years together Bill had changed for the worse and Debbie wanted to have sex with another. (However if my wife was changing my comatose diapers for many years & I wasn’t coming back , and a lonely neighbor was willing-I would not begrudge her that time!)

………………….

I cannot see Doug being such a passive guy. Doug is an opportunist, he enjoys the chase. After Doug stole Debbie away from Bill, screwed Debbie in Bill’s bed-I feel he would become bored and move onto the next target. DQS1 if you do have a “final showdown” between Dog and Bill –I would love Bill to do an “Indiana Jones” on Doug.(Doug goes into a boxing stance and starts throwing lighting fast jabs, etc.. into the air to intimidate Bill. Then Bill calmly pulls out a gun/taser and plants Doug)

……………………………………

As for Debbie the most telling line in this chapter DQS1 gave us was Debbie telling Doug “..Because, I dumped him, you dummy, I ended the marriage. I cheated on him. It...was the right thing to do, for me, but I feel guilty. It's stupid, but I feel guilty” WTF!”.. I CHEATED ON HIM.IT..WAS THE RIGHT THING TO DO…” Duh Debbie ….you are supposed to feel guilty when you do something bad like screw over your husband who trusts you. It is called a conscience. If DQS1 has Debbie character think cheating was the right thing to do and a guilty conscience is “stupid” it is no wonder a nightmare follows. Another good line is Debbie telling her daughter Kelly “You know I love you and your brother more than anything else on earth, don't you?" yet Kelly does not answer. Perhaps Kelly is also having second thoughts about Mom’s actions.

…………………………

Look forward to next chapter DQS1

Fiend6609Fiend6609almost 14 years ago

I'm still enjoying this story alot but I also still want something clearly bad to happen to Debbie and Doug while something clearly good happens for Bill. The ambiguity is starting to kill me.

DanielQSteele1DanielQSteele1almost 14 years agoAuthor
IT'S NOT OVER

IT'S NOT OVER! I've seen comments in the comments section and received more than a few emails from readers to the effect that this was a crappy/and or unsatisfying close to the When We Were Married story. There's a reason for that/ It's not the end. That puzzled me until I happened to look back at the author's page and sure enough, it says a 'five part series.' It's my fault that I'm an idiot and I honestly don't remember noticing that before. I wondered why so many readers wondered when I was going to close the story. I'll include another notice in the next chapter to let people know that it's not a five-part series. I can't tell you exactly long it will run, but it's not going to wrap in the next few chapters. I hope the people that like the story will stick with it. Frankly, I'm embarrassed at confusing and misleading readers.Lastly, this and my other stories aren't part of some huge anthology. I wrote that I Iike reading anthologies with common characters. All of the stories I write will be independent, stand alone stories. But they'll have overlapping characters and settings. And, as always, i want to thank the readers who've taken the time to comment or send me emails and indicated they like or are interested in the story. Or even wrote to bash me. It's nice to be noticed.

size14shoesize14shoealmost 14 years ago
Has Harry changed his tune?

"But in Fact the trial is an allegory for what happend in the marriage. In fact Bill actually says it ... "he killed his wife...I killed my marriage..."

I was sure he was adamant that it was DEBBIE's fault. I guess I'm a MORON for thinking they both were responsible because Harry now says Bill killed his marriage.

GrumpyGambyGrumpyGambyalmost 14 years ago
sounds like you ended it to me?

" I locked the door behind me. And tried my level best to forget there was a world out there.

No happy endings."

Yup sounds like an ending. And if that wasn't enough...

"More than that I'm not going to give away. I think you'll see more revealed as new stories appear. If you're the kind of person that likes to put these kind of puzzles together and connect things, have fun."

Sound like a tease for a new story. Horrible responsibility you've created for yourself now. Everyone analyzing ever word looking for the conspiracy. Yikes!

You writing deserves such devotion. Have fun!

DrPopeDrPopealmost 14 years ago
Glad its not ending ...

I don't know why you were so concerned over the reference to Back to Bristol. I think this story is right up there with B2B. I hope there is a lot more to come. Thanks for writing.

rainbow001rainbow001almost 14 years ago
Great Story Line

You have done a great job as most of us have come to expect. Can't wait to read where you are going with this. You have taken most of the tension away from the story. Debbie knows that the marriage is over, Bill knows it never really was anything that he thought is was... so the question becomes now what?? Thank you for sharing your words.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 14 years ago
Not Much Change

While I am a big fan of this series overall, I thought this chapter was a big disappointment. It really didn't do a whole lot to advance the storyline or insight into the characters. Bingham's trial was just too long and took up too much space. I get what you were going for: You were showing that Maitland's job was very hard but you had already gone into that previously. The analogy that some have given for it being similar to his marriage is just too big a leap for me to take. Likewise the interaction between Doug and Deb was just more of the same from the previous chapter. She doesn't really love Doug and he is just a fuck buddy and she has regrets about her breakup with her husband but knows she has destroyed their relationship. Your little description of the chapter kind of gives the whole thing away. No happy endings and it looks like logically there will not be one here given what you have shown us. So why prolong the agony? Let Bill find another woman or two and continue to improve his body and self esteem. Let Deb lose Doug and be lonely and sad. Let the divorce become final and put the lid on another dysfunctional relationship.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 14 years ago
Yes, size 14 IQ - you are a complete moron [as you stated yourself] and very similar to the self-centered slut in this story!

"I guess I'm a MORON for thinking they both were responsible because Harry now says Bill killed his marriage." ; quote from size 14 IQ ; the village idiot. Unfortunately, both size 14 & the onlyloneylove idiot are out to impress somebody but no one can figure who is "supposed to be impressed". Sad & desperately pathetic. Guess who?

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 14 years ago
Great as usual

Amazing writing, you really know how to bring out the emotions in your characters. Couldn't vote anything less than a 5 on this.

However I find it disappointing how little the plot advanced in these four pages. At roughly 5 days between chapters it'll take a long time for any kind of conclusion. Please update us whenever the next chapter is posted.

Also I know this is your story but if you go for reconciliation, please don't make it easy (for the lack of a better term) like you did in the dream wife. After everything they've gone through, for everything to become magically better after one blowjob from Debbie would be a huge disappointment.

cal6009cal6009almost 14 years ago
THANK YOU, DQS1!!

Thank you for clarifyiny the status of your story. I was upset because Chapter 3A ended as if the story was also ending.

Now that we know that Bill and Debbie each has an inferiority complex based on their relations with each other, you can now ship thrm off to a marriage councelor with the objrctive of putting their marriage back together.

PistolpackinpetePistolpackinpetealmost 14 years ago
Curiasshole-you arern't worth replying to....

...as you are in fact one of the most arrogant assholes here, never able to poke fun at yourself etc...BUT Just for shitting, I said you suck because you turned away from the story BECAUSE you were disgusted (or something) with the most emotionally evocative part of this story yet written, so obviously you are a jerk-off queen or at the very least unable to process any complexity in writing. So go fuck your ugly wife or boyfriend, I'd rather fuck myself.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 14 years ago
Confused

I wish I could make a clear analysis here but, like others here, I don't seem able to grasp it all and just guessing doesn't help, it creates more confusion. One thing I know though, Debbie - in her mind - started to leave the marriage years ago when she had her secret nights/days out, and then the romntic build up with Dough/Lancelot. It's just surprising that she waited this long to finish it. Anyway, it's a fabulous story so far and I just wish the chapters would follow sooner.

PistolpackinpetePistolpackinpetealmost 14 years ago
I take that back Curiass....

you are good for a couple things. One, you give me a focus for my rage, I haven't run into enough scumbag assholes like you lately and find my anger fading, which gets my therapy team worried.(Calm before the storm kind of thing,y.'know). And second, you make me look way more fucking truthful than you, as I have a long history here of not being afraid like most of you faggot punk-ass posers types to post all the information you need to seek me out and put your money where your whitebread innocent little mouth is. But you won't will you, faggot? PPP, Hiram, Maine. 04041 Come to me. Wife just got a little Taurus,(Gun, not the car dummy). I'll let you try to get by her first,girly. You fucking chickenshit hide on the internet bag of empty bravado. Just like the idiot who thinks size matters in a fight.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 14 years ago
Worst chapter yet

Attempting to go into Debbie's background with more depth would have been good if she wasn't already painted as a shallow, self serving, sex obsessed, cruel bitch. This chapter adds nothing to that other than her bizarre dream of the dead mother after yet more obsessivly physical sex with Dougie. I used to hate Debbie, but now just see her as a silly charictature of some male's fantasy of a powerful cruel woman. As one poster said, how did such dirt bag trash off of Springer end up as professors? They wouldn't, of course. This has just gotten silly. Many try to find some meaning in this bizarre mess and defend it. The only people who can share the same pathetic one dimensial view of human character the author has slid into. Women are sex hungry, manipulative beasts without any complex emotion and if you don't please them, they move on to younger pastures and well meaning men will just have to be castrated and take it. I feel sorry for women who deal with you guys, unless you gravitate in your own life to this trash.

WhileyWhileyalmost 14 years ago
She's right. You're no GARYAPB!

But then again, you don't have to be and you shouldn't be. One amazing writer in the form of GaryAPB, one in the form of DQS1, and dozens of others, all amazing writers with their own form and type of storytelling.

As an avid Literotica browser and reader (since 2002, although I only signed up just before I started writing this commentary), I especially enjoy the GOOD, LONG stories. I enjoy the tease and suspense of waiting for the next chapter as well as finding myself both irritated and somewhat pissed off when it takes more than a day or two. Fortunately for me, good writers such as yourself, alleviate that irritation and dull that pissed off feeling.

I liked "Moment of Clarity", enjoyed "The Last Goodbye" and found myself a bit disappointed by "The Dream Wife" (felt a bit unfinished to me, and I was happy to read that there will be a future addendum to this).

About the "When We Were Married" series, I have to say that I'm enjoying it immensely, some chapters more than others, and I'm hoping that it doesn't take to many chapters to wrap this series up.

Two best series in my humble opinion nowadays on Literotica;

"When We Were Married" by DQS1

"The Patriots" by inspirixis

zed0zed0almost 14 years ago
Thank God You Are No Gary APB!

That guy's a bigger wimp writer than you are. I believe he holds the record for the longest wimp out reconciliation story on Literotica. This is definitely your best story ever, it is also one of the best stories I have ever read on this or any other web site, and this is the perfect place to end it. That being said, I know you girls like to stick together, and once again you have pretty much let the slut wife slide. Debby's vague feelings of remorse and guilt in no way come close to the pain and suffering she inflicted on Bill. But in balance you have left Bill's manhood intact and given him hope. And although grievously injured it seems he has found himself, and will be able to heal and get on with his life. I do hope any future installments of Bill Maitland's story appear in the romance section, and involve him hooking up with a decent women, and not in the castration/reconciliation section of loving wives.

oldwayneoldwaynealmost 14 years ago
DQS1, as far as I'm concerned, you're one of the best on this site!

Thank you for clarifying that the story did not end with this chapter, as some of my favorite commentators apparently thought. It would have made no sense to end it here, if Harry was right about the court scene being allegorical, as it certainly appeared to be.

You certainly seem to have a lot of us hooked on this story. It has been fascinating so far. Thanks for continuing to share your considerable talent with us all.

Harryin VAHarryin VAalmost 14 years ago
size 14 shoe.... 11 times I have said BIll was partly responsible

11 times in various post I have made in this story. Plus the emails we exchnaged.

11 times I have said that Bill was partly responsible for the state of the marriage going into this crisis..

so your post is a LIE. Mroeover your post is a totally Inaccuate post of what I ACTUALLY said.

I made it VERY clear that the trial was DQS allegory of what went on in the marriage .... from Bill's point of view .

that doesnt mean it is correct. Right now this may be how Bill think s and feels. RIGHT NOW. That does not mean that view is correct.

11 times Phil... and yet even now you go out of your way to build a strawman...

shameful and intellectually dishonest.

In the end Phil you are a loser

Vulcan_in_OhioVulcan_in_Ohioalmost 14 years ago
This chapter (or part of a chapter) was like an intermission.

The author really has the comments coming like there is no tomorrow. Clearly, the readers are edgy and want to know what is going to occur next. This part was an interlude in the sense that nothing much is happening that would advance the primary plot. We see more character development and I get the feeling (as some others state) that a reconciliation is on the horizon. Just when Bill seemed to be climbing out of the pit into which he had fallen, it would seem he fell back in a bit -- he still is pussy-whipped for his ex.

And now his "ex" gets a bit of sympathy because she openly let Doug have it -- he is a real shit after all. And maybe he was once Golden Gloves, but we have not seen him working out 3-4 days per week, we don't know that he has kept up his boxing skills. It's not like riding a bicycle -- if you don't use it, you lose it -- and that goes for endurance as well as fighting. When I was doing Karate and running 25 miles per week, I could easily out-last the 18 year-olds who were not doing road work, even though I was 14 years older. They were a bit faster but that was it.

Another reader said it correctly -- a street fight is very different from a refereed boxing match where points count rather than blows to forbidden soft spots. A street fight is almost never an endurance bout -- it is decided in a few seconds, maybe a minute or two. DQS may have it right on this one. Please give us the next chapter of "Captain Midnight" soon . . .

2Xwidderwoman2Xwidderwomanalmost 14 years ago
Fascinating Story

Unlike some readers, I believe this chapter was a huge step in understanding these two flawed characters. Not only was the court hearing an allegory for Bill's dilemma, Debbie's nightmare was also an allegorical of her own situation.

After Chapter 3, OldHideki commented, "I am now having trouble seeing what, other than a stunning body, would make Bill love such a woman so deeply." Truthfully, I don't like her. However, unlikable as she may be, she is a woman of substance. She is an Assistant Professor at a college and a person does not get there without some effort and ability. Her lover, Doug, stated she was visionary in her views of corporate management and would be employable in the business world.

Bill is a well educated and highly skilled prosecutor. For him to be happy with the woman in his life, shoe would need to be likewise intelligent and accomplished. We should not fall for the quick analysis that she is a shallow person who is only interested in her own beauty and attractiveness to men, even if that is part of what we perceive as her personality.

Bill is not a one-dimension man, described only as an Assistant State Attorney. There are other facets of his personality which we are continuing to discover. His job may take up much of his life, but there are other parts of his personality we cannot overlook. A son of a coal miner father would have led a hard life in his early years. Yet, his intelligence and drive has brought him to near the pinnacle of his state's legal profession. That is not a small accomplishment.

What we can see is, at this point, we have two flawed individuals who have yet to work out what makes them a team. Bill's initial thoughts are that Debra was too good for him. Yet, perhaps, he is what helped her become the woman she is today, rather than the woman of loose morals which is where she was headed before he rescued her from the intended rape. It's probably past time she admits she caused that situation to escalate to where it did.

Similarly, Debra's influence turned a shy withdrawn man into a confident person who developed the skills to be where he is today. What kind of mediocrity would he have settled for had he not had her in his life. She made him human, gave him a family and a settled home life that soothed him when he was away from his stressful working hours.

Several commenter's have stated that the primary cause of the marriage's initial break-up is lack of communication. It is a little more than that lack that has caused this fissure. Despite the love the two individuals have for each other, they fail to admit their own inadequacies and dependence upon the other. Perhaps if they could learn they actually compliment each other, their association might be made stronger.

But, what do I know - I'm just enjoying the ride (read). Thank you for your talent and the fascinating story.

2Xww

KirkelKirkelalmost 14 years ago
Do the right thing.

Amazing analogies, comments and conclusions from all the would be writers. Once the story is finished maybe a few of you will be inspired to go out and write your own tales.

Too many of you are tearing this into confetti and its hard to see the whole when the pieces get thrown. Fortunatly the original is still available and I for one try to just enjoy the journey.

The old man in the courtroom is just an old man. Bill didn't do anthing to him that hadn't been done. It was irelevant what the court would do but Bill had to bring out the facts, do the right thing! He's consistant and good. He's made mistakes but realizes you learn and go on.

Debbie is learning that she and the children do miss Bill. The depth and security are missing. Its odd how having it gone brings knowledge, right or wrong. I loved the insight of Bill was the one who comforted her from her nightmares, and she threw him away.

I guess being the hottie has its own issues, but given a choice, "I'd rather be rich".

Love your tale. Stay true to your original thought. History shows how good they are.

Rob

JustForPostingJustForPostingalmost 14 years ago
Another nugget from PistolPukinPunk

Again, I made a thoughtful comment, and you have to act like the seventh-grader you are.

I have a lovely wife, and she and I are very happy. You can fuck yourself, as you say, but that's your choice. Or maybe not.

I will reiterate, since you're too stupid to get it: I like the writing. I don't like where the story has gone.

Maybe it's just beyond your grasp. Like most everything else, like spelling, grammar, punctuation... (snicker).

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 14 years ago
EXCELLENT CHAPTER!!

This provided more insight into Bill than almost any of the others. Too often authors bow to pressure and try and explain things directly or through short memory field trips. You showed much of Bill's character and thoughts through his actions and reflections on those actions. I was very impressed, and almost feel sorry for those who are in such a hurry to get to the end, when the journey is most of the fun. Well written.

vietvetvietvetalmost 14 years ago
AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH: THE DREAM?

The mind is a wonderful and mysterious thing.

Scholars, doctors and shrinks have pondered the mind for many decades and have been unable to fathom its complexities.

Now for my bonifidies. I am not a analyst, but have read many PMA books and attended many lectures on the development of the mind by such authors as Dr. Robert Schuyler, Dr. Dennis Waitley, the esteemed analyst who worked closely with our returning POW'S from NAM, and Og Mandino who has a great body of work on mind development, and many others.

Now for my take on Debbie's Night Terror as the way I read the description, it was truly a terror brought on by her confrontation with Dougie about her cheating and destroying her marriage.

As some of us know, I know not all and am not sure of even most, the mind has two distinct parts, and is much like a computer as everything we do, see read or come in contact with is always programed in to the memory chip. The EGO is the conscious part of the mind and has basic control when we are awake and gives up control when we sleep and can call up wanted memories as we need them as long as they haven't been "forgotten". The ID is the subconscious part of the mind which never sleeps nor rests and when in control can call up anything it desires, even those things that are "forgotten", and does not recognize the difference between the truth or a lie, real or not real.

Now to Debbie's "dream" of which she has had many, her mother has programed Debbie with the statement, probably over and over again, that all men cheat. Evidently from the reading, her father cheated on her mother, and her mother stayed in that mentally if not even physically abusive marriage until she or her husband died.

This condition was relayed to Debbie by her mother and even though Debbie rejected that Bill would cheat, Debbie's ID kept bringing Bills supposed cheating to the fore in her dreams.

Debbie started to believe her subconscious and believe that Bill was cheating and started to with draw when Bill started his new job as a prosecutor and was overworked.

This my interpretation of Debbie's Night Terrors which Bill used to comfort her from.

Her latest was a subconscious attempt by her ID to justify her cheating and trying to protect her sanity in the EGO portion of her thinking.

and I dint really want hear what that phraud (intentionally misspelled) "Freud" might have said about anything as he has been proved to be a charlatan.

hope this makes some sense as I have had to write piecemeal as life goes on.

Thanks: Tom

PS: Night Terrors are real. ask any war veteran.

ryu77ryu77almost 14 years ago
From now on.....

.... I will imagine Bill looking exactly like the main character of the VIDEOGAME called "HITMAN".

PostScriptorPostScriptoralmost 14 years ago
Thinking about it...

It would be very interesting if Debbie were to encounter Bill's boxing coach, who, in turn, might relate to her the incident with the wealthy man who Bill confronted in his office, after the man foolishly threatened Bill's wife and kids. She should understand what the depth of Bill's feelings were, and how unconditional his love was. That should hurt more than one could imagine. <p><p>

In this chapter, though, DQS has provided us with the insight of the deep insecurities that both Bill and Debbie have had throughout their marriages. With Bill, since he's never believed that he could keep Debbie just based on himself, he has thrown himself into his work to keep her by demonstrating his abilities as a provider; Debbie, on the other hand, seems to feel that she can only prove her self-worth by being sexually attractive to every man who sees her. <p><p>

Actually, I would love to see a reconciliation, but am hard pressed to see how it could happen after Debbie made it clear to Bill that he couldn't compete sexually with her other conquests. Alas — because for most people sex is at best only a small part of their lives together. Of course, she can try and convince him that people who are going through divorces go a little crazy and say things that aren't really true, but intended to hurt their ex as much as possible. Look forward to future chapters!!!

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous