When Worlds Collide Ch. 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The news seemed to hearten the pack and a lot of the fear seemed to leach from the room. Jared watched as people sat up a little bit straighter, questions starting to fly around the room, suggestions starting to be made. He allowed himself a small smile as his people came together as one. Only a handful still seemed opposed but he intended to deal with that.

The main meeting began to break up into little sub meetings as his betas began to circulate, gathering groups and setting them about the tasks which Jared had already drawn up. With a quick smile to Millie, Jared strode over to Bill Shepherd and his handful of followers.

"You are not required to participate in this," he said coldly to Bill. "In fact, you and your little group can remove your belongings when you leave with the children. You will not be coming back to the compound."

"You can't do that!" Bill hissed furiously, his lined face drawing into a dark scowl as he glared at Jared.

"I can and I just have," the Alpha replied calmly. "You were willing to submit to the demands of a vampire, Shepherd. You were willing to give up two of this pack's mates to save your own skin. I have no use for cowards like you in my pack. And once your actions here become known I fear you will be hard pressed to find another pack to accept you into it. So you have a choice. Leave voluntarily and I will not put the word out about what kind of man you really are. Refuse and I'll make sure every pack within a five hundred mile radius knows what happened here today."

The older Were glared at him a fraction longer and then his expression smoothed out. "May I have a private word with you Alpha?" he said calmly.

His abrupt change surprised Jared and he pursed his lips for a moment as he regarded him and then he nodded abruptly. The others melted away, leaving just Bill and himself standing apart from the pack.

"Jared, I was your father's second in command," Bill said quietly, his expression grim as he regarded the younger man.

Jared stiffened at the reminder, his anger still strong. "Which means you should have known better, Bill," he said levelly. "If you had tried to usurp my father's position how would he have reacted? He would most likely have seen it as a challenge and you'd be dead."

Bill nodded his agreement because he couldn't really argue the point. Jared's father had been a tough Alpha. It was the apparent lack of toughness he had seen in Jared which had caused him to become concerned for the leadership of the pack. He hadn't stopped to think that times were different when Jared's father led. Seeing his Alpha up there today, taking control, having an action plan and allies already in place, had made him realise the error of his thoughts.

"Yes, he would have, Jared. He was a good man and a strong Alpha," he conceded. "I was proud to stand at his side. I know I haven't always shown you that same support but your style of leadership was so different from Alaric's that I felt you didn't have the strength to lead the pack safely. Today you have proven me wrong."

He met his Alpha's eyes squarely. "I'm sorry for my actions, Alpha. I was wrong and I can see that now. The pack needs every available fighting man for what is coming. I respectfully ask you reconsider your decision and allow us to fight with the pack."

Jared stared at him in surprise. He hadn't expected this of Bill. Which was why he had been ready to banish him and his followers once and for all. He scrutinised the other man intently, looking for any signs of deception, any trickery at all. He saw nothing but a genuine need to help the pack.

"I'll give you this one last chance to prove that you're committed to this pack Bill," he finally said. "You were a good second to my father and it was for that reason I didn't banish you earlier. Don't make me regret this decision. If you ever try to undermine me again I will force a challenge."

Bill nodded solemnly. "Thank you, Alpha." His tone conveyed his deep respect and Jared finally relented and relaxed.

"You'd best talk to one of the other betas about where you'll be best suited. I'd advise you to stay away from Rafe until he calms down a bit. You're not his favourite person at the moment."

Bill managed a rueful smile. "I can't say I blame him, Jared," he chuckled lightly. "The good thing about Rafe is he always calms down quickly. I'll give him a wide berth until then."

Jared wasn't so sure just how quickly Rafe would calm down about his mate being offered up to Graves like a sacrifice, but he hoped he wouldn't have to intervene between the two of them. He hoped Rafe's gentler nature would win out or Lacey would be able to talk some sense into him.

He moved away from Bill and headed over to the couple he was presently thinking about. Millie had wandered over to talk to Loretta so he sank down beside his beta who was scowling darkly at Bill as he made his way towards Peter for his instructions.

"I can't believe you didn't banish him," Rafe growled angrily.

Jared smothered down a deep sigh and regarded his friend with narrowed eyes. "Oh, so you think I should banish him for interjecting during a meeting I warned everyone to keep quiet in?" he asked in a deceptively quiet tone.

Rafe's eyes met his and they almost glared at each other for a moment before Rafe suddenly relaxed and his lips twitched slightly. "I take your point, Jared. I shouldn't have reacted as I did. I lost my head for a moment."

"You lose your head way too often, Rafe. It's starting to irritate me that we always end up having these conversations. There can only be one Alpha in this pack. If you wish to lead then once this is all over, you have my permission to leave with your mate and anyone else who wishes to join you."

Jared hadn't planned on saying that and was a bit surprised that it had come out. He didn't want Rafe to leave the pack. He had fought so hard to keep him alive the previous year when he had rebelled against his new life. He relied on Rafe so much. He was his beta, his friend, his brother. And Millie would kill him if he kicked her brother from the pack.

Rafe was equally surprised but for different reasons. He was surprised that Jared still thought he wanted to lead a pack. How many times had he told him that he did not want to be Alpha? Hell, they had almost come to blows earlier over it. He was aware Lacey was sitting tensely at his side, watching the two men with wide eyes.

"You know I don't want to lead, Jared," he sighed deeply. "How many more times must I say it? When this is over I just want to be with Lacey, running Wicked and visiting with Annie whenever I can. I don't want to leave the pack."

"I know," Jared said with an apologetic smile. "I don't even know why I said it in the first place. I'd be lost if you left the pack, Rafe, because not only would I lose the best second I've ever had, I'd lose half my betas too. Aaron would follow you in a heartbeat and probably Ben, Mike, and Pete too."

Rafe stared at him in surprise. Maybe Aaron would leave with him but the others? He didn't think so. It was a moot point anyway. The Hanlon Pack was his home and he wasn't going anywhere.

"Jared, why don't you and Millie go and grab an hour alone to celebrate your good news," he said, deftly ignoring his Alpha's words and changing the subject completely. "Your mind is obviously somewhere else because you're talking the biggest load of bullshit I've ever heard."

For a moment Jared simply stared at him blankly and then he threw his head back and laughed loudly. "You are so right, my friend," he answered when he stopped laughing. The weight of the almost challenge to his leadership, the upcoming war and the preparations required to protect the pack; all had been preying on his mind so much he was seeing veiled challenges where there were none. Some time alone with Millie before she left was just what he needed.

"Go on," Rafe laughed. "There is nothing so urgent that needs your immediate attention. We know what we need to do and we're doing it." He motioned to the other betas hard at work in the room. "Lacey and I will go and let Aaron know what's happening. Millie's pregnancy will help ease his reluctance to leave." He grinned at his Alpha. "I never did say congratulations, Daddy."

Lacey laughed softly at the delight that crossed Jared's handsome face. "Congratulations, Jared," she said quietly. "Tell Millie I said so too."

Jared smiled his thanks and headed off to gather up his woman. He slipped an arm around Millie's waist and dropped a quick kiss on her neck. "Excuse us, Loretta," he said to the pretty dark haired woman who had been in deep conversation with his woman. "I'm in need of my woman for a little while."

Millie shot him a quizzical look but smiled and relaxed against him. Jared was about to pull her away when he stopped and looked back at Loretta. She was second only to Millie in the hierarchy of the bitches in the pack. She had been Alpha Bitch in all but name before he'd found his Millie.

"Loretta," he smiled, a sudden thought coming to him. He really should have done this a long time ago. "I know Millie relies on you a lot. We are lucky to have you stand in for her due to her delicate condition at the moment. I'm sorry, Millie, I know I've not had time to discuss this with you, but I'd like Loretta to accept the position of beta in the pack."

Loretta's mouth dropped open and her eyes widened with shock. Millie blinked slowly and pursed her lips thoughtfully. Her man always managed to surprise her when she was least expecting it. A female beta? She looked at Loretta and smiled. She deserved the promotion. She sighed softly and let her eyes travel quickly around the room until she settled on a tall, leggy blonde.

"Loretta, if it's what you want then please feel free to accept Jared's offer," she said with a smile as her gaze turned back to the dark haired woman.

"You don't mind?" Loretta asked with a touch of concern in her voice. "Millie, you know I value my position as your second. I don't want to let you down."

Millie could see that she was torn. To be offered the position of beta was a high honour and to be the first female beta in the pack would elevate Loretta higher than she already stood. The pack still had a few slightly misogynist tendencies despite their other enlightened ways.

Millie gave her a reassuring smile. "You accepted me almost instantly, Loretta. You helped me integrate into the pack and stopped me making a fool of myself with the other women here. I will always be grateful for that and I would never stand in the way of what you really desire."

Loretta beamed a wide smile at her and then turned her gaze back to Jared. "I'd be honoured, Alpha," she said almost reverently and Jared returned her smile with an equally brilliant one.

"That's settled then," he grinned about to pull Millie from the room but she halted him.

"Wait a minute," she laughed softly. "You've just stolen my second, I need to organise another one." She slipped from his arms quickly and hurried across the room. "Cedar, a moment please," she smiled.

Aaron's sister turned at her voice and gave her a smile. She didn't really know Millie that well because she stayed in town almost constantly but everyone spoke highly of the Alpha Bitch.

"Cedar, Jared has just poached Loretta from me and I find myself without a second. Would you be interested in the position?"

"Me?" Cedar almost squeaked. "But you hardly know me, Millie." She was completely stunned that the Alpha Bitch was according her this honour. It was almost surreal.

Millie smiled. "We'll be rectifying that pretty soon when the evacuation starts," she answered. "But I think I know enough already to make the decision. Aaron and Rafe rate you very highly as does Jared. It's not just anyone he hands over my safety to. Will you please consider it, Cedar? When all this is done there is going to be a lot of rebuilding needed. I will need someone strong and capable to help me, particularly as my pregnancy progresses."

Cedar's blue eyes shone as she smiled at Millie. "It would be my honour to be your second, Millie."

"Excellent," Millie sighed with a smile tugging at her lips. "I look forward to getting to know you better, Cedar. And now I must go and see to the Alpha before he explodes." They both laughed at the frustrated expression on Jared's face as he waited impatiently for his woman to return to his side.

Millie hurried over to him and automatically stepped into his embrace as he reached for her. "No more interruptions," he growled loudly as he briskly escorted her out of the meeting room. The moment they were outside, he pushed Millie against the side of the building and dipped his head for a long, slow, drugging kiss.

She melted against him, her arms winding around his neck as she parted her mouth and surrendered to his kiss. Kissing Jared was always like doing it for the first time. Her breath always caught in her throat as her body instantly reacted to his closeness.

"Millie," he breathed softly against her lips. "My beautiful, wonderful, Millie. Thank you, baby, for giving me the most precious gift in the whole world." His hands slid down her body to reverently rest against her stomach and she moaned softly and pressed her hands on top of his as they kissed slowly, tongues duelling erotically.

With a sigh Jared pulled away and smiled into her beautiful face. He grabbed her hand and pulled her quickly towards their home.

"Jared," Millie half protested. She knew that look. As much as she wanted to be with him there was so much to get done and so little time to do it in.

"Millie," he laughed softly, quickening his step until she almost had to jog to keep up with him. He had her in the house and up the stairs before she could formulate her protest more vigorously.

"You'll be leaving soon," Jared sighed with a slight frown on his face as he closed the bedroom door behind them. "I know it will keep you safe but the thought of you being gone is just about killing me."

She could hear the deep pain in his voice at the thought of them being parted. She felt the same anxiousness at their impending separation too but she understood the necessity. "It won't be for long, love," she answered, her disquiet evident in her voice. "You know I want to be here with you, Jared. I'm so happy we're finally pregnant but a part of me wishes it could have waited until next month to happen." She sat down on the edge of their bed, her conflicting emotions crossing her face.

Jared understood her dilemma. He had the same conflicted feelings about it. As a man, he was ecstatic his woman was growing his children inside her. He was overjoyed that she was being forced to leave with the children and would be safe when the vampires came. As an Alpha, he felt guilty that his mate was being spared what so many of his pack were not.

Millie," he groaned sinking to his knees before her and wrapping his arms around her waist so he could bury his head against her stomach. Her arms automatically came around him, holding him close.

"I know it's wrong to be happy about the timing," he said in a tortured whisper. "But I'm so glad you're pregnant now, Millie. I'm so glad you're going to be safely away from the compound when the trouble starts. That I won't have to be worried about something awful happening to you. It's so selfish to feel this way but I can't help it. I just want you safe, baby."

She hugged him tighter as his body trembled slightly with the raw emotions running through him. "I want you to be safe too," she whispered into his hair. "I don't want to come back and find you're not here, Jared. Promise me that won't happen. Please promise me."

He raised his head and stared into her beautiful blue eyes and saw the deep fear lurking in their smoky depths. "I promise you, Millie," he said reverently, stroking her cheek gently as a tear spilled down it. "I swear I will be here waiting for you when this is all over with. I'll be waiting for you and our precious babies to come home to me."

Millie hated herself for being so weak, for allowing her fear to show when he needed her to be strong for him. Her lips moved urgently over his, tasting his wonderful taste, luxuriating in the feel of his hard mouth moulding itself to hers. She didn't know when she would feel those lips again, or if she would ever feel them again, despite his fervent promise.

Jared rose quickly and pulled his beautiful woman up so he could swiftly peel the clothes from her body. He was pressing her back against the bed almost instantly, his own clothes disappearing with a sound of buttons popping and material ripping as he ached to be naked with her. As soon as his skin pressed against hers he calmed, the quiet desperation of a moment before sliding away. He didn't want his time with her to be about fear and anguish, he wanted it to be a celebration of the life they had created together.

Easing back from Millie, he stroked her tangled curls back from her face and lightly traced each and every beautiful feature with his fingers. He wanted to memorise every inch of her so he would have this memory when she was away from him. "You're so perfect, my Millie," he breathed gently. "So beautiful, so loving. You're a part of my very soul, baby. I'm nothing without you."

She smiled tremulously at him, reaching up to touch his face lightly before burying her hands in his long, silky black hair. "And I am nothing without you, Jared," she sighed and then she laughed lightly. "Well maybe not nothing," she amended looking down at her flat stomach. "It appears I am a mother now, too."

Her lightening of the mood brought a smile to his face, her mention of their children growing inside her bringing his attention back to her beautiful body. He slid down her body and pressed a gentle kiss against her stomach, his hands stroking reverently over her soft skin. "I love you, Millie," he breathed against her softness. "Our babies are going to be the luckiest children on the planet having you as their mother."

She laughed again and he smiled and looked up at her with a slightly quizzical expression. "You keep saying babies, Jared. How many are you expecting to be in there?" She knew Weres usually had multiple births but she was hoping that she would only be having twins at the most. For her first pregnancy at least. But she wasn't sure how many Jared was expecting.

"As long as they're healthy I don't care how many we're having, Mills," he smiled. "Two, three, four. It doesn't matter. I just ache to see our children for the first time." He kissed her stomach again and slowly moved his lips lower wanting to taste her sweet essence.

She gasped loudly when his tongue stroked boldly over her throbbing heat, his fingers peeling apart her slick folds so he could dive in and drink from her aroused body. Her hips bucked up to meet his questing mouth and he drilled his tongue deep inside her opening and began to lick slowly, savouring her juices as they exploded onto his tongue. He never tired of tasting her body. Her sweetness made his head spin and his cock throb painfully hard with the need to be buried deep inside her. But he took his time, licking each slick fold slowly, savouring every drop of sweet nectar she gave him before he finally rubbed his tongue roughly over her swollen, erect clit.

Millie cried out and arched up from the bed as Jared began to suckle against her clit. He always knew just how to drive her crazy with his mouth. Sometimes he would torture her for what felt like hours before he allowed her to sail over the precipice into her orgasm. They didn't have that luxury of time so he attacked her aching pussy relentlessly, suckling and licking with firm, relentless strokes until she cried out and her release washed over her in a tidal wave.