When You're Near Me

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Not knowing what to say, the blonde touched Ashley's forearm.

"Oh, they have their good moments. Don't get me wrong." Ashley explained. "But it's like they forgot how to care for each other. Like they forgot the most important thing in a relationship."

Jessie ducked her head slightly as her eyes asked the unspoken question. Her fingers brushed lightly over Ashley's skin.

"Love."

Jessie jerked her hand back and quickly looked away, as painful memories flooded her mind. Shaking her head, desperately trying to push back the haunting, hurtful memories of her first love, the blonde renewed her vow.Never again!

Ashley immediately sensed the change in her friend. "You okay?"

The blonde twisted around to face forward in her seat. She grabbed a hold of the steering wheel with both hands. Without looking at Ashley, she noted. "It's getting late."

Recognizing the obvious cue being sent her way, Ashley hesitantly asked. "Did I do something wrong?"

Feeling bad now, Jessie let go of the death grip on the steering wheel. Hastily, she shot a look at the brunette. "No." Wanting desperately to lighten the mood, Jessie teased. "I've got an early morning appointment with my massage therapist and she might not like it if I'm late."

"I see." Ashley played along. "Maybe she'd consider pushing the appointment back a couple of hours if... she got something in return for the inconvenience."

Jessie smiled at that comment. "Oh, and exactly what do you think she'd want?"

Ashley crossed her arms before bringing up a thoughtful finger to her lips. "It will have to be something good. Maybe go tattoo shopping?"

"Uh huh." Jessie knew she was being set up.

"Or maybe... just spending the afternoon together doing something fun." Ashley suggested.

"Oh, alright." Jessie pretended it would be a difficult task to do that. "I think I could probably handle it though."

"Oh." Ashley lightly slapped the blonde on her arm. "You're gonna love it."

"If you say so." Jessie winked, before she suggested. "Guess it's time to walk you to the door."

The blonde started to get out of her car, but Ashley held her back. "No. That's okay. Because if you did, then I'd have to walk you back to your car and then you'd walk me back to my door. Well, you get the picture."

"Uh huh." Jessie grinned. "Are you naturally stubborn?"

Ashley let out a happy laugh. "If I agreed to your suggestion, I wouldn't be being very stubborn, now would I?"

Chapter Seven

Through a restless dreamed filled sleep, Jessie finally pulled her eyes open and met the late morning sunlight seeping through her huge bay window. Throwing off the covers, she turned to see her digital alarm clock. "Oh, my God." Jessie jumped out of bed and grabbed her telephone. Dialing the number quickly, she anxiously waited.

A sleepy voice wafted through the telephone. "Hello."

"Ashley?" Jessie hesitantly asked.

The brunette yanked her covers up and around her as she turned on her side. "Yeah."

"Do you know what time it is?"

Ashley popped one green eye open and noted the time on her clock to be noon. "Oh, my God."

"Exactly." Jessie laughed. "Looks like we're both late for our appointment."

Ashley bolted up. "You're still coming, right?"

The blonde sat back down on her bed. "Of course, why wouldn't I?"

Relieved now, Ashley stretched out and yawned.

"That's cute." Jessie smiled.

"Oh!" The brunette was going to chastise her friend, but instead she asked. "Why are you late anyway?"

"Restless night."

Wondering exactly what the blonde meant, Ashley asked. "You asking or you telling me you had a restless night?"

"Both?" The blonde wondered why Ashley had slept late.

"Me, too." Ashley admitted. "But then again, that's usual for me."

The brunette's answer didn't settle well with Jessie, but she decided to change the subject for now. "I need to shower so... how about I get there in say an hour?"

"Sounds good. I'll see you then." When Ashley heard Jessie say her good-byes, the brunette replaced the telephone, rolled over and fell back to sleep. It would only be Maykala's barking that would rouse her not more than fifteen minutes before her client arrived.

The blonde tossed off her clothes on the way to the master bathroom. The bathroom, much like the rest of the rooms in Jessie's house was huge. It had two sinks and one large mirror centered over the sinks. The blonde grabbed a towel from the closet, opened the walk-in shower door and switched on the water. Once the water warmed, the blonde stepped in and was deluged by four showerheads located at different levels. Usually she enjoyed a long shower, but this morning was in a hurry so she quickly washed and then dried off.

The blonde grabbed a pair of blue jean shorts and a white blouse with red printing on it that said 'born to be blonde'. Jessie was the anti-blonde. She was smart, quick, had an engaging personality and her blonde hair was natural. She put all those that carelessly told blonde jokes to shame.

Running down the circular staircase, Jessie grabbed the keys to her car and headed out the door. On her way to Ashley's house, the blonde reminisced about what had happened last night at the bar and she tried to reconcile that with the dreams that kept her from a sound sleep. Too many memories pounded her mind and she wrestled with the feelings being near Ashley stirred inside her and those of another dark-haired woman that had won her heart so many years ago. In some ways, Jessie knew she was headed down that same path. The one that led to heartache, but she was helpless to do anything about it because being near Ashley exhumed so many wonderful feelings that were rare in her life.Though this time, it will be different. We're friends and that's the way it will stay. While her mind vowed one thing, her heart contemplated another.

Roused from her sleep by Makayla, Ashley looked at her clock again. Scrambling out of bed, she jabbed a hand on her hip. "Why did you let me go back to sleep?" She didn't wait for an answer as Makayla followed her to the bathroom. By the time she reached the door, Ashley was naked. "Good thing I can shower fast." While she jumped in the small shower, the Lab waited patiently at the door's entrance. Within ten minutes Ashley had washed, dried and was walking naked back to her bedroom. The brunette shrugged when she couldn't decide what to wear. When the doorbell rang, she froze then stared in the wall mirror. "I can't let her see me like this!" The brunette's overactive mind drifted down a dangerously sensual lane and she smiled. "Well, I could but..." When Makayla just stared at her, Ashley jerked her head toward the bedroom door. "Go on. Tell her I'll be there in a minute."

Makayla scampered out the bedroom, down the hall and to the front door, barking all the way.

Hearing the Lab barking, Jessie walked over to the front window and peeked in. The dog met her at the window and licked it. "Hey. You gonna let me in?" The excited dog barked again and wagged her tail.

Ashley threw on a pair of shorts and a dark green T-shirt. She was at the door, opening it, when she saw Jessie tapping on the window at her dog. "Well, you coming in or what?"

A brilliant smile met the brunette standing on the front porch with wet hair. "You're all wet." Jessie also noted that the brunette's T-shirt was on inside out and several damp spots on the front of it.

Ashley cocked her hands on her hips as Makayla pushed open the screen door and sat down beside the brunette. She raised a defiant eyebrow at that comment from the blonde.

"Hey!" Jessie smiled, then winked. "It looks good on you."

Blushing slightly from the compliment, Ashley dropped her hands. "Thanks."

Jessie walked up to the brunette, paused briefly and whispered in Ashley's ear. "You greet all your clients this way?" Then quickly went inside.

Ashley was temporarily confused by the blonde's comment until she dropped her head and saw her T-shirt. She threw her hands up to her face and groaned. "I'll get you back. Just wait and see." She vowed before an impish smiled appeared on her face as an idea popped into her head. Ashley turned on her heel and walked inside the apartment. "Go on back and I'll be there in a moment."

Jessie headed for the massage room with Makayla hot on her heels while Ashley took off in the direction of her bedroom. Once she dried off a bit more and changed shirts, the brunette marched back down the hall, determined to get over her embarrassment. Ashley knocked on the door. "You ready?" All the massage therapist heard was her dog barking. She opened the door and peeked in. The blonde was lying on the massage table; face down, sleeping with only her blue jean shorts on.This woman is going to be the death of me yet. Summing all of her professional demeanor in check, Ashley walked in, confident in her abilities.

When the brunette's hand touched her client's back, Jessie moaned slightly. Suddenly, in her light sleep, the blonde remembered parts of a dream she had the night before and smiled.

Ashley noted the smile and went about her work, thankful the blonde was dozing. For the next thirty minutes, the massage therapist expertly worked on the blonde's back, loosening the tight muscles and lulling her client into a deeper sleep. When she was finished, Ashley hesitated to wake Jessie. For a long moment, she stared at the seemingly sleeping blonde until one blue eye popped open.

"Hey, I paid for the full hour." Jessie joked.

"What would you know? You were asleep the whole time I was working on you." Ashley grabbed a towel.

The blonde lifted up slightly. "Not the whole time."

When Jessie winked at the brunette, Ashley wondered if the blonde noticed how precariously close her fingers drifted just beyond the waistband of the blue jean shorts. A bit startled, the brunette quickly turned and felt the right side of her neck muscle twitch. "Ouch." She rubbed the muscle, trying to ease the small spasm.

The blonde jumped off the table, tucking the sheet around her and immediately started to rub Ashley's neck.

"Thanks." Ashley twisted her neck, trying to loosen the creak in her neck.

"You need a massage." Jessie suggested.

"Hmm.... I think you're right."

Dropping her hands on the edge of the brunette's shoulders, Jessie guided Ashley around and nudged her toward the table. "Here. Hop on."

Ashley complained, twisting around to look at the blonde. "I can't do it myself."

"I know. I'm going to do it." When Ashley cocked a suspicious eyebrow at Jessie, the blonde dropped her chin slightly. "What? You don't trust me?"

"No, it's just that..." But Jessie cut her off.

"You lay down and I'll get dressed." Jessie moved around the brunette and headed for the changing room. "And take off your top." She ordered the massage therapist.

"Yeah, right." Ashley snorted. The brunette stood there for a long moment.

From behind the changing room door, Jessie called out. "Makayla? Is she doing what I said?"

The Lab barked once.

"I'll take that as a no." Jessie laughed before she continued. "Ashley? Don't make me come out there and...." The blonde let that threat die on her smiling lips.

"Alright already." Ashley slipped off her top and sports bra, tossing them aside. She grabbed a sheet and climbed on the table. "I'm ready."As I'll ever be. The brunette glared at her dog. "Traitor."

Jessie came around the table on the left side of the brunette, rubbed her hands together and asked. "So what do I do first?"

After Ashley instructed her on a few essentials required for a massage, Jessie set her hands to work, relieving the pain and stress that had been building up in the brunette's neck and shoulders.

"Mmmm...." Ashley moaned. "That feels great. Why don't you quit your job and work for me? I'm thinking of expanding my business, you know."

"Yes, I do." Jessie's hands traveled down the middle of the brunette's back.

When the blonde's fingers traversed dangerously too close to Ashley's waistband, the brunette's green eyes popped open.Uh oh! Paybacks.But Ashley was feeling too good to complain and decided she deserved the consequences of her roaming hands. However, Jessie stopped just short of crossing that imaginary borderline, much to Ashley's dismay.

"Finished." Jessie leaned down. "Feeling better now?"

"Uh huh." Ashley lifted up. "So?"

Jessie raised her eyebrow.

"Work for me? There's plenty of fringe benefits." When Jessie's eyebrow jumped even higher, Ashley continued. "Free massages anytime."

"Is that free massages for you or me?" The blonde shot a counterfeit suspicious look at the smiling brunette.

"Me, of course." Ashley's grin widened.

"That's what I thought." Jessie walked around the table. "Now get dressed. We've got lots to do this afternoon." The blonde left the room without saying another word.

*************************

After Jessie and Ashley went out for a late lunch, they discussed what they were going to do next. When the blonde suggested they go to a movie, Ashley was reluctant. "I don't know. I really sorta promised Makayla I'd take her to the park."

Makayla barked in agreement.

Always quick to solve a problem, Jessie proposed another option. "Alright. We'll rent a movie or two and take Makayla with us to my place. I've got about ten acres and she can run to her heart's content." Jessie ducked her head down a bit. "Besides, I'd like to show you where I live. I think you'd like it."

Ashley immediately warmed up to the idea. "Sounds good. I'll have to take my truck though." The brunette looked at Jessie's sports car, parked outside her apartment. "Not sure she'd fit."

"Of course she would." When Ashley wasn't buying that idea, Jessie understood. "You follow me then."

Anywhere.

The smile on Ashley's face prompted the blonde to ask. "Why are you smiling?"

Ashley shrugged. "Just happy."

"Me, too." Jessie agreed and Makayla echoed her approval with a loud bark and wagging tail.

***********************

After selecting a couple of movies, Ashley followed Jessie's car down the long driveway of a gorgeous two-story log cabin that was surrounded by large Oak trees and had access to a big lake in back. When she stopped her truck in front of the cabin and let Makayla out, the Lab ran up the three steps to the covered porch then back down. Her bright eyes surveyed the open valley to the west of the cabin and paid astute attention to a few birds chirping off in the distance.

"Go on." Ashley encouraged her dog. With that Makayla took off, determined to search this new place and stake her claim up on it. "This is just great. I love it."

Happy that Ashley was pleased, Jessie touched the brunette's arm. "Come on inside."

Swinging around, Ashley nodded. "Okay." She walked up the three steps and took some time to check out the porch. "You spend a lot of time out here?"

Jessie pointed to the west side of the ten-foot wide porch that nearly encircled the whole cabin. "In the evenings when the sun sets. It's quiet and peaceful."

Ashley's green eyes sparkled at the place the blonde had pointed. It was the perfect location to enjoy the evening coming to a close. And with the open valley to the west, the brunette thought it was also be an ideal place to watch a storm brewing. "Show me the rest."

The blonde reached out and took the brunette's hand. "Follow me."

When they walked through the front door, Ashley's eyes widened as she took in the large open area. The cabin was made up of basically three elements. There was lots of wood, stone and glass. It was perfect. It had that light rustic look complimented by dark shades of furniture. The carpet was a deep forest green and she noted the unburned logs in the fireplace.

Jessie tugged at her arm again. The blonde led the way into her huge kitchen with shiny hardwood floors and light-glazed cabinets with plenty of counter space. "Well? What do you think?"

"I think that if I could cook, I'd love it even more." Ashley laughed.

Jessie rolled her eyes.

"What?" Ashley was curious about the blonde's reaction.

"I figured I'd be the one doing all the cooking." They laughed together at that remark.

"What about the rest of the house?" This time Ashley grabbed Jessie's hand. "I wanna know where that circular staircase goes to."

As Ashley led the blonde up the staircase, Jessie gulped. Her eyes were glued to the mesmerizing sway of the brunette's hips. And for the life of her, the blonde faintly realized she had made an absolute vow about something, but couldn't quite remember what it was.

At the top of the staircase, Ashley took in the large open area before heading straight to the huge bay window that was facing west. "This is perfect."

Jessie chuckled. "You keep saying that."

Ashley turned around and gave the blonde a hard teasing stare. "That's because it is." Then just as quickly noted the padded seat across the bottom of the window and smiled.

Pointing to the only door in the master bedroom, Jessie said. "That's the bathroom."

The brunette glanced in that direction before walking back over to where Jessie was standing near the balcony. She glimpsed over the banister overlooking the living room and entryway. "What can I say?"

"I know it's perfect." Jessie grinned.

Ashley shot the blonde a teasing indignant stare and lightly slapped Jessie's arm. "Well, it is."

"Come on." The blonde reached over and pressed her hand on Ashley's shoulder. "We better go check on Makayla. And I'll show you the lake."

Chapter Eight

After a light dinner, they watched one of the movies they had rented. Jessie noticed that Ashley was intently focused on the movie and wondered if the brunette was enjoying it. When she asked her, the brunette barely tore her eyes off the screen to answer. That concerned the blonde for a moment, but Jessie decided to remain silent for the rest of the movie.

When the film was finished, Ashley adjusted her wire-rimmed glasses and sighed. Makayla jumped up from the floor and rested her chin on the brunette's leg. Ashley pet her dog and offered Makayla a small smile.

"You okay?" Jessie hesitantly asked her guest.

Ashley nodded. "Thinking about the movie."

The blonde scooted closer on the couch. "And?"

The brunette stared at the now black screen on the television. "It was a love story and I do love them, but..." She let out a deep sigh. "I sometimes wonder if that kind of love truly exists. Like the fairy tales we've been told when we were little to make us think that the world is a wonderful place and everyone lives happily ever after."

Jessie jacked her leg up on the couch as she moved even closer to the brunette. The blonde touched Ashley's arm and lightly let her fingers glide over the brunette's skin. "I think..." Jessie dug deep past her own heartache to a time when she held such strong faith about one day being with the woman of her dreams. "...if you truly believe it, your dream will come true."

Very much aware of Jessie's touch on her arm, a reflective Ashley turned to look directly into the blonde's blue eyes. "Has yours?"

For one instant, Jessie started to fall into a deep, dark recess of a love gone wrong and the horrible heartache that chained her heart, but she saw the probing, almost pleading question in Ashley's eyes and summoned the absolute faith that lay dormant inside her. "I believe it will... one day."

Outside the thunder clapped and a flash of lightning lit the room. Makayla immediately ran to the window and started to bark.

Not feeling like she would be much company, Ashley reluctantly suggested. "I guess we should get going."

That startled Jessie from her musings. "Why?"

"Storm's coming in."

1...56789...23