When You're Near Me

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

When Jessie heard the torrent rain pound down outside, she suggested. "At least wait till it lets up." She noticed Ashley take off her glasses, placed them on the small table next to the couch and rubbed her temples.

"Do you happen to have some Tylenol?" The brunette wanted to keep the impeding headache at a bay.

Jessie jumped off the couch. "Sure do. Be right back." She walked a few feet and then turned. "How bout I light a fire? It's getting cooler with the weather and maybe put on some music."

"That sounds nice. Thank you."

Seeing the younger woman in pain tore at Jessie's heart. "If you feel up to it..." She nodded at the stereo in the living room cabinet. "... why don't you pick something out?"

Ashley smiled at the blonde and nodded.

While Jessie was in the kitchen getting the Tylenol and a glass of water for her friend, she heard a very anxious Makayla barking loudly. With the medicine and glass in hand, Jessie walked back into the living room. "Here." She handed the items to Ashley. "What's wrong with her?"

"Whenever there's a storm, she wants everyone in the house all together." Ashley swallowed the pills and took a sip of the water. "Thank you."

Jessie took the glass and placed it on the table. She noted the music that Ashley had selected. "Good choice. Now let me get that fire going." As the blonde moved a couple of logs in the fireplace to get better access she said. "You want a quilt or something? There's one on the window seat."

Even as it was a bit chilly, Ashley didn't want to move from her spot on the couch. "No. Maybe later." Makayla was at her feet and she was petting her dog. "It's okay. We're all here together." That seemed to calm the Lab.

"Any better?" Jessie pointed to her own head, indicating the brunette's headache pain.

"Some." Ashley pinched her nose and closed her eyes. She focused on evening her breath and relaxing her shoulder and neck muscles.

The blonde pursed her lips together in thoughtful repose. When an idea occurred to her, the blonde decided to take a chance. Jessie sat on the opposite side of the couch then placed her right leg on the couch, extending it toward Ashley. "Come here."

Not sure what the blonde was requesting, Ashley asked. "What?"

"Come here. I'll show you." Jessie beckoned the brunette who slowly negotiated her way across the length of the couch, closer to the blonde. "Right here." Jessie patted her left thigh. "Lay your head here." As Ashley lay back on the blonde's thigh, Jessie adjusted her position to accommodate the brunette.

Ashley was lying flat on her back with her head propped on the blonde's left thigh. The rest of Ashley's body was tucked up against Jessie's right leg, stretched out on the couch. "Okay. Now what?"

A gentle touch of Jessie's hands started to massage the brunette's head. "When I was little, mom used to do this for me. I found it relaxes me, especially when someone else is doing it."

Ashley sighed as soothing fingers chased the impending headache away. After having a more than usual restless night of sleep and long day, Ashley dropped her eyes closed as she drifted off easily. She was still on the edge of consciousness, hearing the soft music play in the background and the gentle, steady rain outside.

Seeing that the brunette was being lovingly taken care of, Makayla jumped up on the other end of the couch. She would wait out the storm and protect the ones she loved.

Jessie gazed at the brunette's soft features and smiled. A lone finger traced the brunette's right ear, then gently edged down and over the delectable, soft skin on the kissable neck of the brunette.

When Jessie's finger whispered across her neck, Ashley moaned and turned toward the blonde. She adjusted herself up against Jessie, allowing her face to lie on the blonde's stomach. Ashley then wrapped her arms around the blonde's right leg as if she was clinging to an anchor. She was slightly aware of the tantalizing effect Jessie's touch was doing to her as she fell deeper into slumber.

Ashley tucked both her legs up which caused Makayla to raise up slightly in order to make sure the brunette was still okay. Satisfied, Makayla dropped her head back down and closed her drowsy eyes.

The soft music and gentle rain falling was having the same affect on the blonde. She pulled her sleepy eyes open, not wanting to miss a moment of watching her sleeping friend. Jessie ran her finger up the left side of Ashley's neck and let it glide up along the brunette's jaw line, coming to rest near the edge of her left ear. The blonde smiled before lightly flipping the silver looped earring that Ashley wore. She almost let out a laugh when Ashley reached up and brushed at the playful finger. Jessie took Ashley's hand and replaced it over her own right leg.

Ashley immediately reclaimed her prized and comforting possession, stretching slightly before she settled again.

Jessie figured she better leave the earring alone before the brunette swatted her hand again. She was tempted and nearly did touch Ashley's lips with her finger. Jessie studied the perfectly formed lips and wondered if the brunette was wearing lipstick. She realized they had a natural rosy tint that beckoned to her. When Jessie caught herself fixated on the delicious lips of her friend, the blonde shook her head in an attempt to pull herself out of her hypnotic state.Okay, Jess. That's enough.

For the next twenty minutes, Jessie tried to keep her eyes open. Her left hand now rested up against the brunette's head while her right hand lay gently over Ashley's left shoulder. She had only intended to ease the headache her friend was having, but instead the brunette fell asleep on her and Jessie was hard pressed in waking up the beautiful sleeping woman. The blonde contemplated her next move. While she didn't really want to lose the soothing comfort of being next to Ashley, Jessie also didn't want to fall asleep sitting up on the couch.

It was Ashley that solved the blonde's problem. While still sleeping, the brunette started to turn onto her stomach.

Jessie took advantage of the move and slipped her right leg under the brunette as Ashley turned toward the back of the couch. The blonde then stretched out down next to the brunette. She spooned up against Ashley's back, dropping a long leg over the thigh of the brunette. The blonde laid her head up against the soft short hair of the brunette and inhaled deeply. The sweet scent and nearness of Ashley next to her easily lulled the blonde into a deep and restful sleep.

They stayed that way, spooned up against each other for half the night until a thunderous clap vibrated through the air. Both Jessie and Ashley drowsed awake briefly, before falling back to sleep. It was Makayla that was roused out of her deep slumber and realized she was in need of some attention.

Makayla slipped off the couch, looked around, then stepped up behind the blonde and whimpered.

When Ashley heard her dog, she turned around. Now facing Jessie and still quite sleepy, Ashley let her right arm fall over the blonde's left side at the waist. She snuggled up against the warm body of the blonde and smiled. Ashley was content to stay that way the rest of the night, except for the wet tongue licking her fingers. A sleepy green eye popped open and she stretched her head up and over her sleeping partner to see Makayla demanding her attention. Not really wanting to move, Ashley reluctantly lifted herself up with her left arm. "You wanna go out, don't you?"

The eager dog barked once.

"Uh huh." Ashley glanced down at the sleeping woman next to her and grinned. "I can't believe I fell asleep so easily." When Makayla nudged her right hand, the brunette shifted up even higher. "Okay, I'm coming."

Makayla wagged a happy tail.

Ashley was careful not to wake Jessie as she slipped over the sleeping blonde, then whispered. "I get my place back." When Ashley stood, she saw Jessie reach out, searching for something. The brunette gently rubbed Jessie's arm then placed a soft touch on the blonde's head. That seemed to ease the sleeping woman considerably. The brunette turned to her dog. "Come on, and let's be quick about it."

After Makayla did her business, she jumped back on the end of the couch and took up her position again.

With a soft smile on her face, Ashley watched Jessie sleep. Jessie had turned around and now had her back up against the back of the couch. The fire had died down so Ashley retrieved the quilt on the window seat and placed it over the blonde.

As Ashley tried to tuck the cover around the blonde, Jessie reached out and took possession of the brunette's left hand. "Ashley?"

Ashley used her other hand to run a soothing hand over Jessie's head. "What, honey?"

Jessie lifted the quilt and with blue eyes barely open, asked the unspoken question. Not being able to resist the invitation, Ashley laid back down on the couch next to Jessie. The blonde leaned back only slightly as Ashley rested her head on Jessie's shoulder. The blonde wrapped an arm around the brunette, so Ashley draped her arm over Jessie's side.

Ashley tucked her left leg up against Jessie who instinctively opened her legs, allowing their legs to intertwine. They stayed that way the rest of the night and it was the best sleep either woman had in their life up to that point.

************************

Jessie popped open her eyes first the next morning and they were flooded immediately with the beautiful sight before her. The brunette was sleeping in her arms and snuggled up close, half on the blonde. Jessie ducked her head down and around to get a better view of Ashley's face.

The brunette shifted before she glanced up shyly at Jessie's caring blue eyes watching her. "Hi." Ashley noticed that Jessie didn't make a move to let go of her.

"Hi, yourself." Jessie's hand found the convenient opening between the brunette's shorts and t-shirt and without thinking, gently rubbed the brunette's back with a lazing finger.

Feeling the soothing ministrations of the blonde's hand, Ashley rested her head back on the blonde's shoulder. "Were you able to sleep okay?"

Jessie brushed her cheek against the top of Ashley's head. "Mmmm.. yeah. You?"

Ashley sucked in a deep breath and sighed. "Perfectly."

Both women were very resistant to move and break the familiar connection lying close to each other brought them. But the barking Makayla announced that it was time to get fed.

"Demanding thing, ain't she?" Jessie grinned.

Ashley popped her head up. "Hey!"

"Does she get that from you?" Jessie teased then preceded to tickle her sleeping partner. The blonde quickly shifted on top of the brunette, teasing her mercilessly.

"Stop that." Ashley mockingly protested as her own hands and fingers found every available bare skin that blonde had to offer.

They played easily with each other, laughing and smiling, all the while tickling each other until Jessie felt herself leaning over the edge of the couch. "Uh oh."

Ashley felt the blonde slipping over the side, shook her head and grinned. "Serves you right."

"Oh, no. You're coming with me." Jessie reached around the brunette and held on for dear life as they both dropped over the precipice and hit the thick cushioned carpet with a soft thump.

Blue eyes searched green to ensure Ashley was okay. The brunette did the same to Jessie. When both women were satisfied that had landed safely without any injuries, they both let out a full belly laugh.

However, Makayla wasn't too pleased with their antics. She quickly assessed their well being, licking both women's faces.

With the brunette lying on top of her and Makayla licking her face, Jessie surrendered. "Okay, okay. I give. I'll get you both fed."

"I knew you couldn't resist." Ashley's green eyes flared at the woman she was lying on top of. "So what you gonna fix me to eat?"

"Pancakes?" Both of Jessie's eyebrows shot up in hopes of the brunette agreeing to her choice.

Ashley's green eyes widened. "With peanut butter?"

Jessie's faced contorted upon hearing that question from the brunette. "Peanut butter? Are you crazy?"

Ashley readied her hands and threatened the blonde. "You want me to tickle you again?"

Jessie raised her hands up in defeat. "No, no. Pancakes with peanut butter it is. Just as long as I don't have to eat it."

Ashley cocked a perfectly sculptured eyebrow. "You could at least try it." The brunette put on her best convincing face. "Pretty please."

"Why do I always feel like you're setting me up for something?" The suspicious Jessie asked.

"I'm not setting you up. I'm laying on top of you." Ashley waggled her eyebrows and looked down the length of their bodies lying on the floor.

"Yes you are." Even though she longed to just laze there with Ashley all day long, the blonde finally said. "And if you want some breakfast... with peanut butter, then you're going to have to let me up."

"Mmmm......" Ashley considered satisfying her stomach hunger pains or lazing there with the blonde for the rest of the morning. But it was Makayla that made the final decision for both women. Several loud and demanding barks from the dog convinced Jessie and Ashley to get up.

Ashley picked up the quilt and began to fold it as Jessie walked toward the kitchen. The nearness they had felt while lying close to each other all night grew into an unsettling distance. When Jessie suddenly turned around and gazed at Ashley, the brunette caught those blue eyes penetrating her very soul and she dropped the quilt.

Jessie smiled and made her way slowly toward the brunette. She reached down and picked up the quilt, handing one end to Ashley. "Here. Help me." They folded the quilt then Ashley placed it on the couch.

A long moment passed with both women staring into each other's eyes, basking in the nearness. Finally, Ashley's eyes dropped then looked up shyly at the blonde. "What?"

"I guess you don't know about the morning tradition that I give every guest that stays the night." The grin on the blonde's face forecast a mysterious surprise.

The brunette raised her head and cocked a suspicious eyebrow at the blonde. "And that is?"

Jessie grinned, opened her arms and hugged the brunette.

Their nearness compelled them to fall easily into a comfortable, familiar and safe harbor where time stood still and only the two of them existed. In tandem, their arms dropped easily to each other's hips.

Backing up slightly, Ashley asked. "A tradition, huh?"

"Yep." Jessie tugged at the loop on Ashley's shorts.

"And you always do that for all your guests?" The brunette wasn't so sure she liked this tradition when it came to other houseguests.

Jessie shrugged. "Well, every since I started it, yes."

"And just when did this tradition start?" Holding the blonde's hand, Ashley followed Jessie's lead as the blonde turned and walked toward the kitchen.

"This morning." Jessie had a huge grin on her face, but refused to turn and look at the brunette.

"Oh, you." Ashley swatted the blonde's backside.

"Hey!" Jessie skipped a step. "Do you always have to be so physical?"

An impish and gleeful gleam propped on the brunette's face. "You don't know the half of it."But you will... one day if I have my way.

Uh oh!

Chapter Nine

Jessie arrived at work early Monday morning only to be met by Krista's inquisitive dark eyes. The blonde rolled her eyes as she turned her head away from her friend and walked into her office. Following in her footsteps was Krista, which didn't surprise the blonde at all. Jessie walked around her desk as Krista sat down in the chair across from her. "Sure, go ahead. Have a seat."

Krista winked at her friend and propped her feet up on the edge. "Don't mind if I do."

Jessie gathered a few papers from her desk, placing them in a wire basket before grabbing the company's payroll book. She opened it and pretended to write a check. "How much will it take for you not to ask the question that is just dying to get out?"

"Do you think my dad would approve of you bribing me with the company's money?" Krista's smart aleck grin drew another roll of the eyes from her friend.

"Uh huh. Since I know for a fact that he would sign the whole company over to you just to keep you from talking." She slammed the book closed.

"Hey! Pop loves me even if I am a little..."

"Mouthy." Jessie inserted.

"No. That's not the word I was going for." Krista pretended to think of a word more fitting.

"Chatty?"

The Personnel Director sat straight up. "I take offense to that. I am certainly not chatty. That sounds like chatty patty and I hate chatty patty. Why do you know when I was little...."

Jessie held up a halting hand. "Go ahead. Ask."

The ash blonde relaxed back in her chair. "I knew you would see it my way."

The blonde drummed her fingers on the desk. "I've got work to do, so...."

Krista scratched the side of her temple. "Takes all the fun out of it when you make it this easy."

Jessie raised both eyebrows impatiently, waiting for the question she knew her friend would ask.

"Okay, fine." Krista sat up on the edge of her chair and leaned slightly over the desk. "Word around the water cooler is that..."

"You mean around the bar." Jessie figured Krista had talked with her uncle Jack. Between her best friend and her employer at the bar, they had tried to set her up over the last seven years or so more times than she could count.

"Well, Uncle Jack may have mentioned that you were like all over that cute brunette at the bar."

"I wasn't all over anybody." Jessie denied even as the memory of her being on top of Ashley, tickling her, flashed in her mind.

"Your eyes were." When she saw the blonde about to protest, Krista quickly added. "Not that I blame you. She's got a nice sexy body."

"Are you sure you aren't gay?"

"Nah. I just like to look." Krista wiggled her eyebrows. The ash blonde figured it wouldn't hurt if she tried to provoke a little jealousy out of her friend to see what Jessie was really thinking about the brunette.

The stern glare from the blonde's blue eyes told Krista everything she wanted to know. "Keep your eyes to yourself. I know where they've been."

"What the heck does that mean?"

Jessie moved around the desk and tapped her friend on the head. "You figure it out. You're so smart." The blonde held the door handle. "Now if you'll excuse me."

Krista reluctantly got up and turned toward her friend. As she passed Jessie, she mumbled. "My father likes that I talk a lot." When the owner of the tool shop's daughter passed her friend, Jessie snickered. "He does!" Krista kept walking away, down the hall. "And my eyes haven't been anywhere your eyes haven't been. I can tell you that much. And one more thing...." The ash blonde heard the slam of Jessie's door, making Krista shake her head; laughingly she referred to her best friend. "...she loves me."

"Who loves you?" The receptionist at the tool company asked.

Krista folded her arms across her chest. "Diane? Do you think I talk too much?"

"I'm too close to retirement to touch that question." Diane swung around in her swivel chair and starting typing on her computer.

When one of the outgoing lines lit up on Diane's telephone, Krista's eyes widened. "Lunch says she's calling Ashley right now."

"Huh?" Diane turned, glancing at the telephone on her desk. "How will we find out?"

Krista started to grab for the phone when Diane smacked her hand away. "Hey." The younger woman cocked her hands on her hips. "You do know I'm the boss's daughter."

"That's his problem." But the disinterested receptionist turned away, back to her work on the computer.

The ash blonde sighed as she looked around the place. Realizing she would have to wait to talk with Jessie, the personnel director briefly thought of calling Ashley and setting up an appointment for a massage. "Then I might get the real scoop."

1...678910...23