All Comments on 'Winter of Discontent'

by blackrandl1958

Sort by:
  • 87 Comments
mordbrandmordbrandover 5 years ago
Minor quibbles

With his powers, it seems he would have foreknowledge of the crash at the beginning. I also note the switch to .45 acp, but I've learned in the last few years that with modern ammo there is negligible difference in one shot stoppages. The only outlier (very slightly) in the popular calibers is .357 magnum and that can be explained somewhat by the typical velocity. If the preference is for penetration, then 10mm, .357 sig, and 5.7x28 would your go to's.

Some more info as to what happened to his wife would have been nice, we know she died but why?

Also you said not one government has ever given up power without force. That is incorrect. Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus was given utter dictator authority not once, but twice by Rome and both times he resigned his power as soon as the crisis that led to his appointment was over.

Bebop3Bebop3over 5 years ago
Excellent Story

and setup. I look forward to future installments.

Great job.

tazz317tazz317over 5 years ago
PSYCHICS CAN ONLY SEE OR EDUCATED GUESS SO FAR IN THE FUTURE

but their short range peeks are more successful to themselves, TK U MLJ LV NV

A_BierceA_Bierceover 5 years ago
Realism is for people

who can't handle the truth. Just ask Jack.

AhazuraAhazuraover 5 years ago
Loved it

Always happy to see another story. It literally makes my day! Thank you!

HarddaysknightHarddaysknightover 5 years ago
Love the action/adventure/romance stories!

Especially when they are well written like this story! I am sure we'll see the further adventures of these characters and I can hardly wait! Thanks for the hard work for us readers!

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Definitely 5 stars plus

If only more of the other writers on Lit were as eloquent as you, we would have a really rich tapestry of excellent stories. This one is deserving of ten stars. Also likeable was the fact that I found no spelling errors on my first read through the story, the characters were believable, descriptions of the country in winter were enticingly accurate and I am already looking forward to what might come next. There is another chapter isn't there? I really hope so.

Devir Ginator

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
One incredible story

What a ride this was. The precognition made such an interesting angle, and the love story was as sweet as anything I've read. The slow build to whie hot was just perfect. Remarkable story. Five stars. I hope you continue this story.

woodmanonewoodmanoneover 5 years ago
You've trapped me

A lot of thought and really good talent went into this story. One of the most important things a story should do is make the reader feel like they actually know the characters and feel in touch with them. This work does that exceedingly well.

Thanks for the hard work and waiting for what comes next.

Woodmanone

avidfaavidfaover 5 years ago
Not to be too pedantic, but

"Have you ever heard of a government in the history of the world that ever gave up one scrap of power unless it was at the point of a gun or at the hands of a revolution?"

Yes, this is what made George Washington great: he was the first general in history who walked away from his army at the moment of victory instead of using the power to put himself in control of the government. Some 5 years later he accepted election to the presidency, then when he declined to run for a third term 8 years later, it was the same process done within the context of a functioning government, and it established the tradition that it was the country and institutions that mattered more than the person. Napoleon made himself emperor. Big fucking difference.

BTW, you are a great fucking writer. I often wonder while reading pretty good stories on Lit what really separates amateurs' stories from literature, and it's you. This was so well written, so compelling, this is literature. I don't like the adventure/romance genre, and find it very hard to take the adventure seriously, but I started to read it because it was yours, and once I started, I was enthralled, and just couldn't stop. Thanks.

Freddog6601Freddog6601over 5 years ago
Fun & exciting read

A Clancy story with sex.

Looking forward to the next chapter.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Good...Better...Best...

...a 3 , 4 or 5 rating? That question is for me. Not anyone else. You are one of the elite writers here IMO. So held to a higher standard. The premise of your story is great. It is great fiction, believable. Except for no one knowing that the helo went down. Too big a leap for me.

bruce22bruce22over 5 years ago
Another Great Story

This a delicious SF/Action story.

PostScriptorPostScriptorover 5 years ago
Oh young lady!

You are a sly one... one story getting a bit of economics in, another some libertarianish attitude and some (excellent) poltical philosophy. And much less pedantic, than say, Ayn! LOL!

Of course, this story may get you kicked off of any and all of the big social media sites (we know who they are) and by now the NSA is capturing all of your electronic communications. And by the by, that crew dressed up as a telephone repair crew you can see out your window? FBI surveillance, most likely. LOL!

Hope you will actually follow up on this one - a couple of really great characters for an action thriller series.

RE: illegal substances. The Alphabet agencies all do lie-detector tests on a regular scheduled basis, but will also do spot checks to make sure you aren't using Beta-blockers to fool them!!!! So will the contractors. HAHAHA!

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Fact checking?

The concept of the story is good, or should I say GREAT. However, some fact checking would have made the story better... Norway may be way up north, but it is fairly warm for its latitude, due to the flow of "warm" ocean water. -20⁰C would be very cold for Hammerfest. (Wikipedia)

Another issue is that you don't mention the polar night where the sun stays down the horizon for months... Instead the sun seems to rise early every morning. In reality days in Norway are short in winter, a few hours, if the sun rises at all. Think about sunrise at 10am and sunset at 2pm.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago

Take a libertarian stance, get one star. That’s because, more than the shallowness of libertarianism in general, is that the characters and human relations in general are almost always simplistic. The author is good at plotting — not an insubstantial skill — but not so good at getting into the motivations of the characters.

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xover 5 years ago
Thoughts

"She was a little careless with the covers, and before long one luscious breast was exposed." - Wouldn't he have known that her breast was going to be exposed?

I've heard that lawyer/snake joke before, only with sharks.

"I'm a lawyer, not a doctor." - This reminds me of the Dr. McCoy line in Star Trek, "I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer."

@Anonymous Re: "Good...Better...Best..." - I think they knew WHEN the helo went down, just not where.

jneric2691jneric2691over 5 years ago
Great Story!

Are you going to continue? I thought the characters were very interesting and the story compelling.

J_Reader_ComicsJ_Reader_Comicsover 5 years ago
Loved the Story

A fun and thrilling tale. The only thing was the casual use of marijuana. Cadence states that it is legal where she lives. Well while it is legal in Colorado, as a federal employee she is held to the federal law which has it still illegal and punishable by fines/imprisonment/loss of employment. Same goes for companies that maintain federal contracts. Still, an amazing story.

IaOldTimerIaOldTimerover 5 years ago
Read them all

Am looking for something new that I have not already read. However, all her stories just keep getting better. Eventually she will run out of reposted works. Still, all are 5 star quality, and I am frugal with my "stars".

Birdstheword1Birdstheword1over 5 years ago
A fun read

I'm just wondering how does the story and?

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
I believe!

I believe you are a genius writer. You can do no wrong. This story is as good as any you've done.

Even though we're in Ludlum territory, I am swept along in the story and the unreality of it doesn't even occur to me until I stop reading.

Should we trust the Government? I work for the Government and I still don't trust them. I find it incredibly frightening how much liberty and privacy we've given up in the last 50 years. The worst part is we've given much of it up willingly.

R.

blackrandl1958blackrandl1958over 5 years agoAuthor
Thanks for reading and the comments

@Anonymous: I believe. Thanks. Keep watching!

@Birdstheword: Stay tuned. This will be a long one.

@IAOldTimer: Just posted an entirely new one last week.

@J_Reader_Comics: I think they're pretty much over what legalities there may be, at this point.

@jneric2691: See my answer to Birdstheword.

@SBrooks: I wondered if anyone would catch the "Star Treck" reference.

@Annie with the political problem. I give zero fucks about your opinion, or your one star. Do you imagine I care what the score is? I write what I want to write. I've come to the conclusion that assholes aren't everywhere, they're just strategically placed so you come across at least one a day.

@Anonymous "Fact Checking." Umm, weird flex, but okay.

@Postscriptor: Yes, my friend. I do my thing. Hopefully don't attract any attention.

I'll get to the rest. Thanks for reading. Randi.

Sniper014Sniper014over 5 years ago
Great story

I liked the story. I believe that I read the story under a different name on another site that you were on which will go nameless. The story was titled Reluctant Resuce. I can not find it listed on your SOL page neither. Like I stated I read this one in 2015.

It is good to see you back on this site even if you are releasing your original titles under a newer name.

Keep up the great work and I hope that your health gets better.

Buzzard61Buzzard61over 5 years ago
Thanks

Another great read I look forward to seeing one of your stories come on the new list. Would love a follow up to this one.

A merry Christmas to you and yours.

stev2244stev2244over 5 years ago
Awesome

We need a second chapter, of course.

AileyInnAileyInnover 5 years ago
You’ve laid the groundwork...

...now lt’s see if you follow through...

5 stars...

OvercriticalOvercriticalover 5 years ago
Good start

This is one of those stories that can either end right here with our personal imaginations supplying the continuing plot....or you can continue to add to it. Or we can do both: continue ourselves until we see a follow-on from you... or not. Still a good tale with my three requirements for a good story well satisfied: well developed characters, good plot and good dialog. 5*

WordcraftWordcraftover 5 years ago
And They Call ME a Conspiracy Theorist!! :)

Very good read! There is a lot of truth in your story though. Looking forward to more conspiracy plots!! :)

ScorpioJJScorpioJJover 5 years ago
Great start

Looking forward to the next chapter.

J_Reader_ComicsJ_Reader_Comicsover 5 years ago
Yep

Randi,

Completely agree, was just the impression the character gave to me of "Oh I know all about this cause it is legal where I live" when for her it could still have meant jail time.

arrowglassarrowglassover 5 years ago
A really good yarn......

......sure hope there is more!

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
second time?

I'm sure I read this quite some time ago, hope there's more chapters to come this time.

MichaelFitzgeraldMichaelFitzgeraldover 5 years ago
Romance, Skis and Explosions. Oh My!!

The writing is so good. The story is so deliciously over the top. The seeing the quantum future works. You make it seem effortless.

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xover 5 years ago
@AileyInn Re: "You’ve laid the groundwork..."

While there is much potential for more, I don't understand the implication that it's not complete as it stands.

FirstwithUFirstwithUover 5 years ago
@Randi

Loved the story, 5*

Thank you Randi for the @ comments, glad more is coming.

@ sbrooks I believe the comment was" why Mac didn't forsee the helicopter arriving".

There seems to be some limitation to his gift, like if the threat isn't going to effect him or those he loves directly he doesn't see it as needing his attention. Since the helicopter crashed and killed everyone but Caden he wasn't forewarned and didn't foresee any threats. IMO.

DogFuzzDogFuzzover 5 years ago
Almost Outstanding

I very rarely use the term “outstanding” when reviewing a story. You certainly had me fascinated until your love activity between the two after he had suffered a serious gun shot wound to the shoulder. I have never witnessed a guy ever even entertaining having sex after a serious gun shot wound. Erection? Nope! For me the story then dropped back to “okay”. The lack of a proper conclusion also was a downer. Suggestion: flesh it out, go with your main idea and make it into a novel. Yeah... it would sell. Thanks.....

c50chrisc50chrisover 5 years ago
This story - exactly why I follow you

Been following you almost since I signed on.

There's going to be more episodes, right? RIGHT????? :)

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Favorite

This has been my FAVORITE piece of yours as well as so far on this site. LOVED IT. I think it’s the snowy mountain, seclusion, danger of the weather as well as the adventure, but mostly I wanted to express that as a woman it’s SO great to read about a tough, rugged, capable man that is so caring. Ultimate fantasy, thank you for brining it to life!!!

DoctimeDoctimeover 5 years ago

One of your all time best. Also could be a Literotica top scorer. Already looking forward to the next chapter.

2coastflyer2coastflyerabout 5 years ago
Great story!

Absolutely loved this but I find myself wanting to read more about Mack and Caden. Hoping there will be continued adventures!

BoomerbillBoomerbillabout 5 years ago
Perfect!!

Reading this on a snowy winter night imparted a warm glow. Thanks a bunch!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
Is there a Chapter 2?

Know you don't do many sequels or multi-part stories but this one has great potential. How many agents does the CIA lose before they give it up, or do they? Does anyone else with Mack's abilities join forces with him? Does it become a three-way relationship with Malinda as well as Caden? Please keep writing!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
Nice prequel

Looking forward to the story. This was fun, kinda Schwartenegger meets dangerous cia supergirl, morality and explosions happen. He has everything even cornish game hens in - 50° weather. Extremely radical purchasing power but off the grid and nobody noticed? So will he leave a string of cia and nsa bodies plus a few foreign bad guys in his wake before he destroys the evil mastermind, saves American purity? Will his beloved survive or ? Will one of them die??? Or will his network with the same superpowers defend justice? I am looking forward to tuning in but I hope the movie/ game sells well in China!

WhoGivesAShitWhoGivesAShitabout 5 years ago
Great story, compelling reading

You do a great job with stories containing action scenes. There’s a lot of entertaining backstory, and the characters are well developed and (mostly) plausible. There’s conflict, romance and bonding, and sex in the right mix to keep it interesting. Like the others, I’d welcome more of the Mack & Caden show; but since he will always be a fugitive, how many episodes can be done without repetition? The storyline might lose its ‘snap’. That said, it might be interesting with prequel stories, and/or stories told from alternate perspectives involving these characters.

steeltiger01steeltiger01almost 5 years ago

I've enjoyed your stories since the first one I found. Several of them, though, beg for more. This one and First Estate in particular, scream for more ...so here I am asking (okay, really its begging) for a part 2!

Honestly, this is as good or better than most of the spy stuff I've bought in bookstores and online. If a continuation is in the works, I'm looking forward to it! (If not, I'll wait more or less patiently for your next tale.)

Thank you for sharing your talents with us!

Horseman68Horseman68over 4 years ago
Excellent Writing Exercise. But!!!

This is a well written piece, as are all from this author. But, in essence it is an unfinished story that pulls together a number of fashbacks to identify two characters as a prelude. Assuming that there is no more of this story coming, it is unfortunately a great disappointment. ☹️

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago

The story would have been worth a five instead of a three except YOU DID NOT FINISH THE DAMN STORY.

robnilrobnilalmost 4 years ago
curious

I don't understand why you write such a good story with likeable characters and then show that they are drug users. Yes every person has the right to do what they want but I personally find people that use drugs to be pathetic. That's just my opinion but that's the only one that matters and it's also my right.

linnearlinnearalmost 4 years ago
So Good

An epic tale and I thoroughly enjoyed it but I would have loved to see an conclusion to it. I can understand why you left it where you did, all of your writings I have read are a pleasure and I can't thank you enough for them.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
A very good read

Hopefully not the end of the Caden Mack saga!!!!

drycreeksdrycreeksover 3 years ago

Awesome story just wish it would have more ?

cinladycinladyover 3 years ago

interesting but left discontented...

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
And now???

Excellent tale so far, but it needs to be carried through to completion.

Love your writing. Don’t quit on us now!

Munchie184

DPCDVR72DPCDVR72almost 3 years ago

Great read, but there’s got to be a part 2.

francemanfrancemanalmost 3 years ago

very good story served once again by very good characters, and a nice plot.

Thanks for sharing your talent.

bauslander1bauslander1almost 3 years ago

There’s a lot more story to tell. Keep going.

AFoolRushesInAFoolRushesInalmost 3 years ago

I need to know what happened to Sara. Is it a plot point?

Good characters.

tlevanssrtlevanssrover 2 years ago

You can't end it like that! Where is the rest of the story? It was getting good too. Please finish it. Maybe one or two chapters.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Hi Randi.

Perfect combination of action and eroticism, another new word I believe I just created. Remember the word erotics? By the way, how would you create a verb out of erotic(s)? Eroticize? In languages, not all families of words are complete; sometimes, there are components missing: the adjective, the verb, etc. But enough of linguistics. This story is worth a rating of five in my book.

HOWEVER

The site is asking the reader to rate the WRITING; yes, what is written, NOT was is NOT written. As other reviewers have stressed, there is at least one more chapter missing, and why not, maybe two more chapters? I feel I need to give the missing chapter(s) a rating of one. What is missing generates total frustration! If you eventually decide to finish this story, please include Malinda as a permanent and active partner with Mack and Caden. After all, she took a bullet for them!

BJ

dgfergiedgfergieover 2 years ago

Good story, love the action and and the bad guys never win. And the idea of super powers the good guy has. We do need more of an ending though, PLEASE?

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

“Turn back over, baby and let me just hold you."

When a noun is used as a name, it should be capitalized.

eg: You are a sweetheart. (Not a name.) I love you, Sweetheart. (Used as a name.)

He’s a real asshole. (Not a name.) Hey, Asshole, what time is it? (Used as a name.)

So your sentence above should have read: Turn back over, Baby, and let me just hold you.

argeelogargeelogover 2 years ago

It’s unlike you to leave a story unfinished, but you did. Sad and frustrating. Four out of five stars as a result.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

How nice to be precog and see a bright future. I would anticipate a more negative and channelized limited future for all of them. Because of the current known experiences of dark deep state and its greed.

Very imaginative and surprisingly romantic.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Simply a great read.

Thank you.

Alaskan7758Alaskan7758over 1 year ago

Very great story! Are you going to continue to the end?

Flyer0124Flyer0124over 1 year ago

Great story line.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Needs a sequel, feel like there's a lot of directions this could go but I honestly didn't expect it to end well.

xhristianjxhristianjover 1 year ago

Man seriously I would have real issues being with a true believer whose as naive and gullible as this chick is. Anyone with any type of contact with intelligence services knows you literally can't trust ANYONE that's literally Intelligence 101 🤓

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Great story well put together and I look FWD to more installments (jaybee186)

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Wow this story was like action movie could have gone on a lot more it’s like we only got half the story

Aussie1951Aussie1951about 1 year ago
Well fuck me

You’ve done it AGAIN..where’s the rest of the story ?. This is another one of your incomplete stories. This is really starting to get frustrating. Finish the fucking story plus the other ones as well… but there again and you don’t listen to our comments anyway .⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

olddave51olddave51about 1 year ago

YOU HAVE DONE IT AGAIN!

THERE MUST BE MORE TO THE STORY ?

tinfoilhattinfoilhatabout 1 year ago

I love this kind of story. Except it leaves us wanting more.

AnonymousAnonymous11 months ago

applesauce!

AnonymousAnonymous9 months ago

Great story, although hanging a bit at the end.

tsgtcapttsgtcapt9 months ago

With all that, when does chapter 2 come out?? Love the intrigue, the anxiety, the love, the passion, and more.... thank you!

NitpicNitpic9 months ago
If

If there is no more to this story,then it died a death at the end.

AnonymousAnonymous8 months ago

People do say there r Grammy, Emmys Oscar's in America, but I am disappointed with the new era of American especially literature read the the stories whether they R romance or mature except konard or moog player rest seem more than dumb if u ask my honest opinion there might be 4 - others but comparing 2 these icons they are shame

ClockstopperClockstopper7 months ago

Well done. Five stars.

rbloch66rbloch667 months ago

The deal hadn’t yet been made with the gov’t, which leaves a lot of unknowns up in the air, thus leaving the story in an unsatisfying state. I also think you missed a great opportunity here for a series based on Caden getting pregnant, having a child that displays an enhanced version of of his ability.

AnonymousAnonymous5 months ago

Randi, you are an amazing story teller. Your every story is different and has something new. I have read many of the authors in Literotica, but just a handful have that ability. This is one more of your masterpieces. But I am a little disappointed with the ending. There should have been some more. How does he tackle the CIA people finally? Was he able to convince and satisfy them? Do they finally let him be? What happens to Caden and Malinda? Do the CIA accept that they were kidnapped, and do they get their jobs back? When Caden finally marries Mack, how does the CIA look at it? You should have shown Caden getting pregnant and then delivering a baby with his father's ESP or maybe the ability to even pinpoint future incidents. Still I loved this story. 50 stars!!!

williedavewilliedave5 months ago

This is one of my favorite stories. I really like to see a part two. Although I have to say, you still have the Eye in the Sky series to finish.

AnonymousAnonymous2 months ago

Needs another chapter.

Good cadence, grest character development and interesting subject matter. Excellent work.

Cali_LoveCali_Love2 months ago

Geeze, I’ve lost count how many times I’ve read this story. At least once a year. It’s just a fun romp by a fabulous story teller. So, I’ve read it many times but this is the first time commenting. I’m trying to get better at that. Thanks for the fun read and for sharing.

AnonymousAnonymous2 months ago

Thank you Randi, my second trip through your tale, 5 stars

somewhere east of Omaha

AnonymousAnonymous19 days ago

Exciting adventure turning adversaries into allies through honesty and compassion. Some the story reads like an introduction to a longer novel. Since the State of Insecurity is to dominate their citizens, the need for social control is greater than protecting individual rights or human rights. A few extraordinary paranormal prescient people are psychic scouts to give warnings about grave threats or opportunities.

(Terrorists worth killing like the 'Golden goose'?)

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userblackrandl1958@blackrandl1958
I find it necessary to make some statement. I own my stories. They belong to me. I created them, the plot, the characters, the dialogue, the narration, all created by me. I retain copyright to them. No one has my permission to duplicate parts or all of my stories, either in te...