All Comments on 'You Can't Throw Everything Away Ch. 01'

by shuttlepilot

Sort by:
  • 58 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousalmost 13 years ago
I can identify with the complete...

sense of disorientation that he went through. When your wife all of a sudden pulls shit like that out of the air and hits you with it. It really hurts.

Especially when it was her cheating all along.

Good short story. I will check out your other stories.

ShrkDivr...

C_frommnC_frommnalmost 13 years ago
Chapter 2

can't wait too see how everything Starts in the Next Chapter of Days of Our Lives lol.

AeroielAeroielalmost 13 years ago
Nail on the head..

In my marriage of 37 years I have had to deal with what I call the Marta Stewart, Oprah, and Dr. Phil, syndrome.

When my wife bought me a Dr. Phil book on marriage and relationships for our anniversary, that was it....I burned the book in the back yard while she watched. I told her that if she liked Dr. Phil so much, she could stay in the back yard and keep his ashes company. Luckily, her common sense prevailed over the propaganda and we are enjoying our retirement together.

So...I do not consider this story an exaggeration of any kind, and if it comes from personal experience, you have my condolences.

tazz317tazz317almost 13 years ago
UP FRONT PAYBACK

before it never would happen. HARPO does it again. Al Bundt may be right. TK U MLJ LV NV

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 13 years ago
Just Walk

At the first mention of one or several of the TV Airhead Brigade - Just WALK Away!

BobNbobbiBobNbobbialmost 13 years ago
Interesting approach . . .

. . . a bit silly at times, but all too real. Shuttle has painted a picture of the mental part of reality. Maybe Dan Quayle was right, a mind is a terrible thing to have. On the other hand the correct approach might belong to the guy behind the plate, "Ninty percent of this game is half mental" said Yogi Berra. In either case these two delightful characters have used their mental processes to paint a Salvatore Dali picture of marriage.

Fun read for a Saturday morning.

HarddaysknightHarddaysknightalmost 13 years ago
I really enjoy this writer.

He deserves more attention. His style is a bit jerky at times, but his character's emotions and thoughts are very real. Now and then I have to back up and read the sentence or paragraph again to see who is thinking or talking, but the raw emotions are there and I love how many things he leaves unsaid, but the reader knows what he means. Good start!

ohioohioalmost 13 years ago
HDK is right, as always.

There's a mix of reality here, even though the wife's behavior is pretty stupid and the husband's reaction (leaving town, jumping into a big rig, learning to drive it) pretty extreme. What grabs me is the passionate feelings--and the hope that the story will continue to unfold.

THanks, ohio

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 13 years ago
Good writing

The premise of two people who can't communicate is a bit over done, but not beyond reason. I am Looking forward to part two, but I do hope you spare us a fuck with his worshiping secretary! That would be too trite.

cloacascloacasalmost 13 years ago
OK, but can we kill the plot device

The plot device of the wronged man running away is tired. Guy's pride gets hurt so he takes off. At least in this story he comes back, but the device is pathetic.

Hurt pride? Running away? It's like stories have become caricatures of bad westerns where the hero is the mountain man or lone gunslinger who lost his family way back when. The message is: my poor man pride has been hurt so I'm going to crawl off and wallow in it.

DunaDunaalmost 13 years ago

70% of the men cheats minimum once in all lifetime during their marriage. Not every only 70%! However from the 70% you must substract those men who had maximum only 1-2 fling during their marriage. I think the real figures are about 50%.

nakdsubnakdsubalmost 13 years ago
So far I love

Okay, I have to agree, not taking the car when he leaves and hauling his duffel bag, (lawyer can't afford a suit case?) then driving a big rig, yeah that's a little out there, but I love the emotions you've captured. The title suggest a reconciliation here, but his thought process seems to be going in the opposite direction........will they get back together?........will JoAnne realize what she has is real and not from the printed pages of a book?......

I can't wait for the next chapter, please hurry.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 13 years ago
Finally a story written by someone with a brain

This chapter is a great foundation, I can't wait for the next chapter!

Mousse9Mousse9almost 13 years ago

Cloacas: That's a double standard.

If the wife cheats, then the husband's silly pride is hurt.

if the husband cheats, the wife's feelings are hurt.

Men don't have feelings, you know? Only pride.

I've never read that if the guy cheats, and the wife stays with her parents or friends, that it means her pride is hurt. (Then again, it's far more likely for her to kick him out.)

As for the story itself, it's interesting, and yeah, that Oprah stuff is seriously wacky. I'm quite sure there are books out there that say all women cheat, or something equally nasty. Bill should buy such a book, and give it to Eileen as "proof" of her cheating...

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 13 years ago
duna

Duna read your comment and people like you are society biggest idiots, you throw numbers around and try to convince people you know when in truth you know nothing.

demantoiddemantoidalmost 13 years ago
Great start...wonderfully written and plotted

I just loved the cross country ride with the angst and turmoil as the third passenger. Brilliant! A wonderful foil and metaphor to the aimless feeling the protagonist projected. Actually wished the author would have extended the ride as I was disappointed that he returned home. Loved all the characters so far...can't wait to fall in love with the secretary...can't wait to meet the "shark"...great tease. I REALLY, REALLY liked this story. Very well written! Thank you Shuttlepilot.

thebulletthebulletalmost 13 years ago
a bit disjointed but interesting and different

so far, so good. Not every person reacts logically to emotional shocks. Some just run away.

The story was a bit jerkily written. But overall a good effort. Most of all it is different than the usual suspects.

That's enough to commend it as far as I'm concerned.

BigJohn601BigJohn601almost 13 years ago
Okay, a very good first chapter....

Hope there will be more soon. I don't think he will be lonely long. I agree there are too many man hating writers who being elevated by Oprah and the View.

RHinSCRHinSCalmost 13 years ago
Well Men...

The news said Oprah's new network is tanking. Maybe some can find comfort in that. Feminism is going to be the end of normal relationships. And in the end they still won't know what the fuck they want. Hell, they will probably want the old style male and we will have went through all this shit for nothing. It's a shame that it is a sin to be a man now. You see anti-male stuff everywhere you look, especially here.

DunaDunaalmost 13 years ago

Kind Anon I wrote my opinion with my name.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 13 years ago
FABULOUS START... BUT lets keep the eye on the ball; SEXISM

This marriage cannot be saved. But way too many of the readers in the feedback on focusing on the Oprah Dr Phil pop psychology. THAT is NOT the KEY issue.

It was their 10th anniversry. On THAT special day the wife INTENTIONALLY says

1) dear you are awful in bed

2) you are so unimportant to me that I never bothered to tell you what I like in bed

3) you are cheating

4) they very fact you have cock and balls means you are guilty.

ALL on their 10 year anniversary. Game over man...

Game over

WAIT until he finds out she is thinking about fucking some other guy.

This marriage cannot be saved. If he is bad in bed should he be given the chance to fix it ?

how do you get around the fact that you are 100% guilty of something you did not do?

IF they reconcile WHY would ANYONE want to stay married to THAT kind of person?b

MarvinSMarvinSalmost 13 years ago
Good first chapter

I am awaiting chapter two!

PistolpackinpetePistolpackinpetealmost 13 years ago
A little time spent on interjecting reality...

...into the background would neaten this story up. Corporate Lawyer never been out of L.A. is beyond laughable.The guy's behavior is lame, except for the return and Cloakas makes an excellent point, where one could derive a double standard out of it God only knows, but it's close to harvest time and I'm plumb out so maybe that's my problem.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 13 years ago
he's never been out of LA?

Wow, I guess the endless decades of smog corroded his frontal lobe. The amount of self pity made me vomit; going to skip Ch 02.

Sidney43Sidney43almost 13 years ago
Not bad

Oprah, the opiate of weak minded women. Like others, I am having trouble picturing a corporate lawyer being so unorganized about things. Well, there are some interesting conversations taking place so will read the next chapters to see where you take the story.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 13 years ago
Interesting start...

I got from the start that the male lead didn't have a clue about what was going on with his wife of 10 years... not a good sign.

The "Oprah is evil" thing gets old - I have seen it quite a lot in LW. Another symbol of whatever you are trying to relate to would avoid the cliche.

And, a book that says that it is all the womans fault and that all women cheat? That would be the LW forums here and elsewhere.

But... it is possible that you could write a symmetrical story - where the male and female leads learn how they haven't heard each others wants and needs and somehow they learn how to...

As several above have said, without that the marriage is sunk.

It might be amusing if the secretary made the point that the situation is both their faults, but that would short-circuit the revenge motif so popular here. I would not suggest it to the author, unless he or she were willing to take some grief in the comments.

Of course, it is the authors story, and I look forward to seeing where the story goes.

Green-something

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 13 years ago
Texas Gov perry thinks Oprah is the devil?

Or the antichrist or something? Let's blame everything on tv personalities so we don't have to take responsibility for our marriage, children, environment, anything. Idiotic.

RePhilRePhilalmost 13 years ago
I'm hooked!

GREAT writing, Dialog and a man who keeps his junk intact! You win the Trifecta with this puppy !!!!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 13 years ago
Good Story

The writing could be smother in places and some of the plot was a bit contrived, but avoerall a good story.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 13 years ago
Hard to believe

What trucker would take I40 to I65? 40 to 44 to 70. Would have saved almost 300 mile. Shame on you for writing such garbage.

Raptor5Raptor5almost 13 years ago
Crap

Standard Oprah crap. If she wrote the book and the his divorce is caused by his wife telling him that he cheated because she read the book and then accused him of cheating. That's liable on Oprah's part and can be SUED. Hope he goes that way and takes her down. Plus that would give all men the right to sue also if they didn't cheat. CLASS ACTION SUIT.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 13 years ago
raptor got it figured

my marriage failed cause of Oprah, made me lose my job and caused my DUI too. Imma join rap's lawsuit.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 13 years ago
10 yrs and *pow* that's it?

both parties need their head examined. Lets face it, anyone who throws away a perfectly good marriage based on either a book or a conversation based on a book has a few screws loose.

chytownchytownalmost 13 years ago
Readers Digest!!!!

STORY!!!!!!! Thanks for sharing.

victoriangentvictoriangentalmost 13 years ago
A bit jerky

as some have already said, but a very good story and am enjoying it much. I need to ask if DUNA got his stats from an Oprah book or from a Dr Phil quote. Impatiently awaiting next episode. Next time just the facts Duna, just the facts.

bruce22bruce22almost 13 years ago
Lots of fun!

Really the only thing that it is difficult to understand is why he did not discover that his wife was disconnected from reality, sooner??

LoneStarRiderLoneStarRiderover 12 years ago
Oh, interesting.......

Divorce is a bitch, even when it goes "relatively smoothly". But this story is an interesting tale.

TavadelphinTavadelphinover 12 years ago
Great Start

To a bizarre story -

She seems like one of the Springer candidates - incapable for self thought or common sense -

To allow the "book" tell her how her life is?? Using a resource to give you ideas for how to improve it fine bur to allow it to tell you what you know ??

There are people that lost I suspect - but

count2threecount2threeover 12 years ago
Well it begs the Question:

What does a corporate Lawyer, someone intelligent, do with a wife who is so stupid as to regularly watch opera, let alone belive that crap. He has to be bored out of his mind with a bimbo like that.

Danger09Danger09almost 12 years ago
Fucking moron

Wifes a ditzy moron who needs to grow the fuck up, the husband needs to stop whining like a little bitch & kick the idiot to the curb. First off Oprah can't give relationship/marriage advice since she's NEVER been married a day in her fatass life. Obviously this brain dead moron wife needs to either get a fucking job or get a hobby, she has way to much time on her hands. I'd divorce her for the words alone it doesn't matter that she didn't cheat, with the total lack of respect , trust & love the wife's exhibiting it won't be long before she's spreading'em for a guy that "doesn't take too long ( whatever the fuck that means) as a woman I don't agree with this dummy wife, ALL women like men to take their time! I don't like being left unsatisfied... She needs to save her money, reading bullshit and watching bullshit is going to have up the shit creek without a paddle.. Bitch needs to get a life that doesn't involve tv

PultoyPultoyover 10 years ago
Wow, this is good

Interesting. Thanks for writing it. 5*

TMSPTGR3TMSPTGR3over 10 years ago
Weird

Maybe you should throw everything away.

rightbankrightbankabout 10 years ago
there is nothing left

to throw away

tazz317tazz317about 10 years ago
A DIVORCE WITHOUT CHILDREN

is traumatic but sometimes necessary. TK U MLJ LV NV

betrayedbylovebetrayedbyloveover 9 years ago
Excellent

Great start. Lesson learned in ch. 1: You can't believe everything you see on TV. On to the next chapter...

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
great story

the content was the best

i wonder how many marriages oprah has broken up?

this is a very likely believable story

reminds me of one particular marriage go down

Seeker1107Seeker1107almost 8 years ago
First amendment and all

I wonder if there is a way to sue Oprah or even some of these authors with their bullshit and all?

tazz317tazz317almost 8 years ago
UPON HEARING BAD NEWS

its best to get away for a while. TK U MLJ LV NV

silentsoundsilentsoundover 7 years ago
WOW!

Didn't know that book even existed but my wife and I worship each other and she hates Oprah!

Maybe that is part of the reason for our hot and loving 25 years?

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
But some stuff...definitely

Lawyer huh...corporate lawyer...sharp mind, details oriented, layered responses, run through all the scenarios, consider the "what ifs", the likely consequences or potentials, able to step back and see the big picture. Yet he runs away at the first sign of a crisis (oh - by the way - thank you for not letting him join the circus...because, I mean...it's obvious, right?)

And it's his secretary who knows a good lawyer (cause it sure ain't him.)

So...where did you throw the plot and the characters...maybe they're not completely broken. You never know...

ErotFanErotFanover 5 years ago
A good start

Let's press on!

26thNC26thNCover 5 years ago
Something different

I.like this so far. I'm for anyone who hates Oprah, the View, and any of those other abominations. I want to see where this goes.

lee5456lee5456almost 4 years ago
Oprah?

Somebody should tell Oprah & her book club to go screw themselves

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago
Oh?

"Indy isn't that great but it beats the hell out of Albuquerque." In a pig's ass.

WargamerWargamerabout 2 years ago

Fucking Oprah so over her. And, don’t get me started on the View, especially big mouth Goldberg.

Misogynists the lot of them, man haters who foster hate.

5/5

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

First time ever agreeing with Wargamer and 26thNC about hating Oprah and the view.I can't favor anyone that listens to / watches either programs. The story itself has some social redeeming value but needs more LP

AnonymousAnonymous10 months ago

Misandrists hate men you god awful moron, gamer

ScorpioJJScorpioJJ6 months ago

Toxic femininity!

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous