About That Night

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I guess he could tell I was nervous, when he gave me a little squeeze. "You don't want to meet them?"

I thought it might be time that I told him the truth. I took a deep breath, and hoped he wouldn't feel different about me, once I finished what I had to say. "It's just that we come from such different worlds." I waved a hand around at his suite. "I couldn't imagine what it would feel like to call a place like this home. I barely remember my mother because she died when I was only seven of breast cancer. She was a teacher. And living on a single paycheck, money was always tight."

"Your father wasn't around?"

I shook my head, trying not to look at him. "I never knew my dad. I don't even know his name. When my mother died, her friend that taught at the same school, my auntie Rita, took me in and raised me. Like most kids, I was curious, and I kept asking her what she knew about my family. She finally told me that my grandparents disowned my mom when they found out she was pregnant, because they'd told her to stay away from my dad. So, I kind of got the feeling that he was bad news. But she'd never met him and never knew his name. I guess because my mom never liked to talk about him, since I'm assuming he abandoned her, probably when he found out she was pregnant with me."

When he didn't say anything, I told him the rest. "I was in my last year of high school when my auntie was diagnosed with the same cancer that took my mom. She passed away the day after I graduated."

"So, you don't have any family?"

"No. At least none that I know of, or any that would want to know me, I guess."

Sebastian pulled me into his lap, wrapped his arms around me and hugged me really hard. I thought I was done crying, so I was surprised when I felt a tear running down my cheek.

I wiped it away and told myself I was fine. I really was. My mother and my aunt had taught me to be resilient, and how to survive. And I'd been doing great on my own.

Except now, I knew what it felt like to be with someone I loved. And I really didn't want it to end.

But I was afraid it might, as soon as I met his family. They'd give me the thumbs down and he'd start looking at me differently, and then we'd start drifting apart.

He broke into my thoughts when he pressed a kiss to my forehead and said, "I already know my mom's going to love you."

"How do you know that?"

"Because she's always said, that she just wants me to find someone who will make me happy. And since we've been together, I've never been happier. So, I'm pretty sure she'll love you as much as I do."

For a minute, we just looked at each, because I think he was surprised he'd said that.

Then he shrugged and kind of laughed. "Well, at least you know how I feel about you. I know you're only twenty-three, and I'm almost forty, so I understand you being cautious. But I think we're really good together. And I don't just mean in bed."

I smirked. "So, are you suggesting that we go back to just dating?"

"Oh, hell no," he said, and we both laughed as he gave me another squeeze.

**

We thought we'd exchange gifts before his parents arrived for Christmas.

I had got him a wooden watch, that I knew he wanted, because I'd peeked over his shoulder when he was checking them out online. And I thought it was something different, and a change from the type of watch he usually wore.

When he opened it and saw the handcrafted wooden watch, he said, "Holy smokes! How did you know I'd been looking at these." He looked pretty happy when he tried it on, and showed me how it looked. "It looks really good, thanks, babes. But I still don't know how you knew I wanted one."

I just shrugged and said, "Lucky guess."

Because we were curled up in his bed, he put a few presents in my lap. I looked down at them and back up at him. "I thought we agreed that we were only giving each other one present."

He handed me the bigger box, wrapped in shiny red paper with a big white bow, and said, "Just open it."

When I pulled the wrapping off and saw a gorgeous red sweater, I smiled and said, "Oh, it's so pretty. And you know I love red."

"I knew it would look great on you as soon as I saw it, because red really suits you. And I figured you've got to have a Christmas sweater." He stroked the soft cashmere. "It's really soft, too. And I bet'll feel nice against your skin." I threw off the blue top I was wearing and pulled it over her head, and he smiled. "I was right, it looks beautiful on you."

I leaned in and kissed him. "Thank you, Sebastian. I love it."

"I got you one other little thing. And I'm hoping you'll like it."

He handed me a small box wrapped in silver paper with a little blue bow.

When I unwrapped it, I couldn't believe it was a ring box. Looking back and forth between him and the box, I gasped when I flipped it open and found myself staring at a beautiful, sparkling diamond ring, with the band surrounded in diamonds.

"Oh, Sebastian, it's absolutely beautiful."

"Let's see if it fits." When he slipped it on my finger, he looked into my eyes and said, "Well, it's a perfect fit, so I'm thinking I should go back and pick up the matching wedding ring."

"Are you asking me..."

He smiled. "I'm asking you to marry me, Alexa. Because I really don't like living without you. I know we've got a few years between us, but we're just so good together, and..."

He let out a startled laugh when I hurled herself at him, landing him on his back, and I threw my arms around his neck and nearly kissed his face off.

"Is that a, yes?" he asked, chuckling, when I finally let him up for air.

I grinned. "Of course, it's a yes. Because I love you. I think I've loved you from the first night I set eyes on you at the party."

"And I think I fell for you the moment I saw you at the office."

I blinked, confused. "I don't remember meeting you at the office."

"You probably didn't notice when you were being interviewed for your job, that the walls were mirrored. We have it set up that way so we can watch an interview being conducted, without making the person feel like they're surrounded. And whoever wants to hire someone, can quietly listen in and take notes.

"I walked in while you were being interviewed. I had to talk to Bruce about a new promotion I wanted to look at. He was watching to see how you did, so I sat down beside him. And I took one look at you, and I was blown away. I just thought you were the most beautiful woman I'd ever seen, and you were so funny and bright. You had our HR lady Molly, laughing out loud, and I think that had to be a first, because I don't think anyone's ever seen her laugh."

"Are you saying you were stalking me? Is that why I got invited to your party?"

"No. I had nothing to do with you getting invited. Your friend Kendra arranged the whole thing. But I was pretty happy when she told me that you'd be coming."

He rolled his eyes when I gave him a naughty smirk. "I didn't mean it like that, though I gotta say, I just love watching you..."

Before he could finish, I cut him off with a quick kiss, and we both laughed.

Then I thought back and said, "That was pretty sneaky, though. I wondered how you seemed to know who I was, even though we'd never met."

"I don't work in the office very often, 'cause I usually work from home. But I was really glad I dropped in that day when I saw you for the first time."

I had a sneaking suspicion that he decided to pop the question and make it official before his parents arrived, so they'd have to accept that he'd chosen me for his bride.

But he need not have worried, because the moment I met his mom and dad, I just loved them, they just so warm and friendly. And thankfully the feeling was mutual.

His mom kept insisting we go out and have some 'girl time' together, where we'd go and have lunch do a little shopping. Though I wouldn't let her buy me anything, no matter how hard she tried.

I didn't care that they had money, I was just happy to be part of a family that seemed to want me.

Sebastian and his father were having a beer one night, when his mother and I got home from watching a movie. She told me she wanted to see this 'chick flick' that her husband would never sit through, and she was happy she had someone to go with. And we both enjoyed it, and we laughed all the way home remembering the funny bits.

"Hey," his dad said, as soon as we walked into the living area. "You two up for a little bowling?"

I knew it was after eleven, so I wasn't sure what would still be open so late.

Till they led me downstairs and I discovered they had their own little bowling alley and squash court, too.

Wow, what a house.

His mom and I whipped them though, which we thought was pretty funny. Though the guys were good sports about it.

By the time they left just before New Years, since they planned to spend it in Miami with her sister's family, I'd grown so attached to them I was sorry to see them go.

His mom cried a little when they were leaving. She gave me the biggest hug and whispered in my ear, "I can't believe I finally got the daughter I always wanted. And I am so happy to have you in our family, Alexa. Let's keep in touch, okay?"

"I will, I promise," I said, hoping I wasn't going to break into tears, because I was really going to miss them.

I thought it was sweet that they were both wearing the scarves I'd given them for Christmas. And of course, I was wearing the pearls that she'd given to me. When I opened the blue box and saw them, I tried to tell her they were too much and I couldn't accept them. But she told me, "These pearls have been passed down from mother to daughter in my family for generations. So, now that you're going to be my daughter in-law, I'm happy to be able to pass them onto you."

Sebestian just shrugged, though he looked pretty happy to see that the two of us had bonded.

After the holidays, when I got back to work, I just waved as I walked past the reception desk because I could see that Kendra was on the phone. But I'd only gone a few feet and she put whoever she was talking to on hold and called out, "Hey you, come back here and let me see that hand."

I held out my hand, smiled and said, "We're engaged."

"Oh wow! Congratulations! That is one gorgeous ring. And I am so glad it worked."

"What do you mean?"

"Word got out that when you were being interviewed for your job, Sebastian walked in, took one look at you and basically knew you were 'the one.' Then when he asked me to arrange for a few models to show up at his Halloween party, same as last year, I realized it would be the perfect way to set you two up. So, I suggested instead of using an agency, that he hire a few ladies from the office. Of course, I made sure to put you on the list. And I also decided that you needed to show up in something sexy enough to catch his eye. And now you two are getting married! So, it looks like all my plotting and planning worked."

"So, you're saying Sebastian was in on it?"

She laughed. "No. Poor guy had no idea he was being set up. But I'm just glad he agreed to invite us all to enjoy that crazy bash at his place, or none of this would have happened."

I couldn't be upset with her, not after what she'd done. So, I went around the desk, threw my arms around her and hugged her and we both laughed.

**

Mrs. Chan was there with all our friends, at his family's church, smiling and wiping at her eyes as the two of us exchanged vows and shared a very steamy kiss.

Of course, Kendra was my maid of honor when Sabastian and I tied the knot. Because, if it wasn't for her devious little plan, we never would have gotten married.

Or, had our beautiful baby boy one year later. I was so happy to see that he had his dad's gorgeous blue eyes.

And just like his father, he captured my heart the first moment I saw him.