An Unlikely Alliance Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
TaLtos6
TaLtos6
1,934 Followers

"My Lady," she began humbly, "Could you spare me a coin? I'm so hungry."

"The girl is an orphan," Khali whispered in Khajiit, "I saw her here the last time that I came in over the wall. She has no one, though she does try to keep a smile on her face for everyone. I do not know how she lives - or where."

Dhaerys stepped forward and the girl's face revealed her shock at the armor that the woman wore. "Here, have this coin. Will it get you a meal tonight?"

The girl's eyes widened further to see the gold coin in Dhaerys' hand.

"Oh yes! I can have a meal at the Bannered Mare just down the hill. Holda sometimes lets me have the scraps from the kitchen. Oh, I can have a real meal for once!

Thank you.

Divines, bless your kind heart!"

Her hand came out a little warily and it caused Dhaerys to wonder why an urchin like this had needed to learn to be careful.

She had no time to think on it however, as it looked to be getting ready to pour any moment. "Here little friend, here are ten more. I want you to take this also and then run to this place that you mentioned and use it to rent yourself a bed for tonight. I do not know where you sleep most nights, but this doesn't look like a good night not to have a warm, dry place."

The child's eyes looked ready to leave her head and she had to hold out both of her hands to take the coins. Dhaerys took off the fur armor that she'd pulled loosely over her dragonscale armor and put it around the girl's shoulders, "It's not the best thing, but I want you to stay warm tonight too.

Hurry along now," Dhaerys smiled, "I want you out of the rain this night."

They ran along up the many steps to the level of the keep itself and along the wooden walkway to the great doors. Once inside, Dhaerys walked a little more slowly and Khali fell into step with her. "Should we not walk a little faster now?"

"Why?" the woman asked with a little smile, "It isn't going to rain in here. And anyway, we have just killed a dragon, haven't we? I think that we are to be allowed to walk a little wearily this last part. And if not, then we ought to be allowed it."

The Steward came walking toward them, "There you are. The Jarl is waiting to speak with you." He guided them to the throne where Balgruuf sat waiting and watching them.

"So? Tell me what happened at the tower. Is the dragon defeated?" he asked.

Dhaerys nodded, "He is dead, my lord."

The jarl relaxed visibly back onto the throne, "I KNEW I could count on Irileth! But there must be more to it than that."

Irileth began to speak, shocking Khali and Dhaerys with her sudden appearance. "Before I could even think of a way to begin to attack the beast properly and not just by shooting arrows at it blindly like the rest of the troops, it was over, my Jarl. This one actually scored a telling hit on the beast with one of her arrows. I could see how it was surprised and pained by it.

But that drew the dragon's wrath and he turned then - away from all of us - to spend his rage on her instead." She pointed at Dhaerys, who was surprised at how quickly Irileth had appeared and run to speak to her lord.

"Were it not for her actions, we would have lost more men to that ... thing. She faced the dragon, killing it with magic after that while her friend here waded in close to it's side and went at it with a blade like a devil. But when the dragon finally died from Dhaerys's sword thrust through his brains, something happened.

I - I don't know what, but something passed from the body of the dragon to her. After that, she shouted out something louder than I have ever heard anyone shout and it - it MOVED the dead dragon's body back from the force of it!

The rest of the men have begun to say that she is something called a Dragonborn. I wouldn't know anything about it, being what I am," Irileth said, "I just told the fools to trust more in their sword arms than anything else. To be honest, I've never seen or heard anything like that before."

"That sounds like a thu'um," the jarl said, "That might explain what we heard sometime afterward. The Greybeards have called her, I would guess."

He snorted softly, "I didn't know that there were any of them left up there in their monastery. We never hear of anything going on up there in High Hrothgar."

He looked at Dhaerys for a moment, "It doesn't matter much, I guess. The Greybeards have summoned you to High Hrothgar. You'd better get up there. It is said that they can teach the way of the voice."

"Greybeards?" Dhaerys asked, "Who are they - and how do I get to this place?"

"They are an ancient order of Nord monks," the steward said, "I can't say what they'd want with you, but you'd better get up there to find out what it's about."

The jarl's brother Hrongar stepped forward to speak then, "It's one of our ancient traditions going back forever. The Greybeards taught Tiber Septim himself when he was still Talos of Atmora before he became Emperor. It's a long climb to get up there."

"I went there once," the Jarl said, "I went on the pilgrimage and climbed the 7,000 steps. High Hrothgar is a very peaceful place."

"What did they teach you, Jarl Balgruuf?" Dhaerys asked.

He chuckled, "They didn't teach me anything. They don't speak to anyone, only to each other and any Dragonborn who might show up. The doors were barred when I went up there.

One way or the other, you should make the journey and learn what they can teach you about using this gift of yours, if they're so convinced that they'd call for you.

But you've done a great service to me and my city. I name you both Thanes of Whiterun. It's the highest honor that's within my power to grant. I give you this axe, so that all will know who you are as well as this sword from my personal armory to your honored Khajiit companion.

What is her name so that I might know her and inform the proper people?"

Dhaerys looked at Khali, who stood listening politely as was proper, even while maintaining her charade. "She is called Khali, my lord."

"Very well then. Please tell her what this honor means. I know that many people do not care to trust people like her, but she has proven herself to me this day, so I choose to honor her as well. Tell her also that she has the run of the city. As long as she carries my sword so that the guards can know her, she is welcome here.

Oh! And tell her that she doesn't need to climb in over my walls at night anymore."

He grinned a little, "I always try to talk with my guards whenever I have the chance. That's how I know of her. She should use the gates now, like everyone else.

Now if you don't mind, Dhaerys, I have a city to keep, now that you've killed the dragon that wrecked Helgen."

"It was not the same dragon," Dhaerys said quietly as she beckoned Irileth closer so that what was said would not reach the guard's ears, "Tell me if I am wrong, Irileth, but the one out there was grey - almost a blue color."

The elf nodded, "What are you saying?"

"The one at Helgen was larger and black - pure, coal black. It was not the one that we faced back there."

"Are you sure?" the jarl asked and Dhaerys nodded, "By pure luck, I was standing on the steps inside the tower at Helgen. The dragon there smashed a hole in the wall and shoved his head inside to roast everyone that he could. He didn't see me.

I was standing right next to the hole in the tower wall and right next to him. I was this close," she said, holding up her hands, "but I was groggy from being hit over the head earlier. I had nothing; no weapons and not enough wits together yet to use any magic.

Khali and I will stay close to Whiterun for a few days at least to defend against any dragons which might show up. After that, I'll go to see these monks. But I intend to keep returning here because I like this place, so we'll help defend it as we can."

The jarl thanked them and said that it felt a little better to have them nearby. "You don't know what it's like. At times such as this, I feel the weight on me to protect my people. I thank you for whatever help you can give."

Dhaerys bowed, and Khali followed suit, still looking oblivious to what had been said of her.

As she straightened up, Dhaerys stepped up to the Steward, Avenicci and asked for a moment of his time if he was available then.

He led her to a quiet alcove and looked at her questioningly.

"I was told by the jarl earlier that I would be able to purchase property in Whiterun. From the little that I've seen of it, I like it already and I can say that I am very interested in living here, if I could. How do I make my purchase? I think that you would be in charge of such matters, no?"

"You are exactly correct," the man said as he swelled a little in importance. "As it happens, there is a house available for sale right now. It is called Breezehome and you must have passed it on your way here. You'll find it in the Plains district, the second house on the right as you come from the gates. It is clean, but I haven't had time to have some of the old furnishings cleared out, what with all the dragon excitement going on lately.

There is a feature inside that I'm sure you'll want removed. The previous owner liked to produce his own wine, so there is a vat inside. It's clean, don't worry about that. It's just something that's made the place a little hard to sell.

It would normally go for about five thousand gold empty and I would charge extra depending on the buyer's wishes. What's there beside the vat is the main bedroom upstairs if I remember, along with the livingroom and kitchen. The loft decorations were all removed and the downstairs room has been cleared out as well.

I can let you have it as it is for ... four thousand, five hundred and if you don't want to make wine," he smiled, "then removing the vat is your problem in exchange to the cheap price. Does that sound fair?"

"It IS clean inside?" Dhaerys asked, "I don't want to find that I've bought a shed full of winemaking garbage and dried bundles of vines lying around."

Avenicci stressed that the inside was fairly spotless. "Only the vat needs to be removed, if you don't want to make use of it for say, washing clothes."

Dhaerys held up her hand and explained it to Khali in Khajiit. She knew that Khali had understood it all anyway, but it gave her a few moments to consider, since it represented the majority of the gold that she had. Khali asked a few questions of her and mentioned in Khajiiti that she had five hundred gold in large coins from her uncle and wanted to contribute.

"I would give four hundred out of what I have if it will buy me a warm place to sleep - in a bed, if I can learn how."

Dhaerys turned to Avenicci and nodded, "We'll take it, master Steward. Let's go over to that table there so that I can count it out for you."

As they walked out through the doors and into the Whiterun night, they noticed that not only was it raining, but the wind was along to push it around.

"We will be soaked through by the time that we get there," Khali grumbled. "When one has no home or much to shelter in, one does not feel the want so badly since there is nothing that one can do about it."

She chuckled to herself, "But to have a home and not be able to be there when it is like this outside ..."

Dhaerys looked over for a moment, "Where is the sword that he gave you, Khali? You should wear it so that it can be seen as the Jarl said. I hate to say it, but you need to be seen wearing it so that the guards know not to trouble you. As much as I find myself liking them, Nords seem to be suspicious of people who are different. I have seen the looks myself and they think that I am an Imperial.

Here is the chance for a Khajiit to make a difference for others. Let them see that they are wrong."

"It is alright, the sword," Khali said, "but it is nothing special more than a sword. I would keep the sword that I know - the one that I used today where I can reach it easily."

They stopped under a stone archway and Dhaerys rearranged things for Khali. "There," she smiled, "You keep your trusted blade over this shoulder. Wear the one that marks you as a thane on your other hip."

Khali nodded and as Dhaerys cinched a few of the straps more securely, she looked around the roundabout they had just walked through for a moment. A guard walked up to them and said that the guards had all heard of what had happened at the watchtower. "We are all grateful," he said, "to you both. I see that you wear weapons from the Jarl. Does this mean that he - "

Dhaerys shrugged, "He said we are Thanes here now."

The guard bowed his head, "That is good then, I will tell any others of us that I meet that you are here and thanes as well."

"Where is the Bannered Mare?" Dhaerys asked, "We've bought a house, but we want to get something to eat at least, maybe a bottle of mead to wash it down as well."

He smiled, "The food at the Bannered Mare is good and the portions are beyond fair for the gold, I'd say." He pointed, "You're not far. It's right there, Thane. I wish that I could go with you. With this cold rain, I'd be a lot happier and warmer with a bellyful of mead. A good night to you both."

They walked down the steps and stopped, hearing a small voice crying. They looked around the marketplace and found the girl that they'd met earlier, hidden under the vegetable seller's stall.

"What has happened?" Dhaerys asked, and they learned that after buying her meal and sitting at a table to eat it "like anyone else can", the bard had come and asked to see what she was using to pay for everything.

"He said that he knew that I was alone and he said that I must have stolen the money."

The girl sobbed bitterly for a moment, "And here I am again, wet and cold when I was going to have a good night for once - for the first time since ... mother ...

I wanted to have a good night and maybe dream about when she was alive!" She buried her face against her forearms which were crossed, holding her knees.

"Please," Dhaerys said softly, "Come with me. I'll set this straight soon enough. Can you do that? Can you come with me? I'll take you back to the inn and fix everything. I promise."

As the girl nodded and tried to regain some of her composure, Dhaerys stood up and saw the guard who'd been speaking to them a minute earlier. She whistled and he came running.

After telling the man what had happened, and with the girl's tearful nods when he asked her if it was so, Dhaerys told him that she was going inside to deal with it.

"I seek your advice," she said, "I do not want to break any laws in the city, but if I hear the wrong words from the bard ...

Do I need you there with me or should I call you in after?"

He laughed a little before he shook his head at the child's situation, "You are a Thane here. It means that you are considered to have honor. Your word means more to any guard here than that of a fool bard. I'll go in with you since I could do with a few minutes out of this downpour, but I'll hang back to see how it goes. Just don't kill him in there, that's all that I'll say."

He looked at the girl for a moment, "She's had a bad time since her mother died. I knew them before when they lived on a farmhold outside the walls. I know what it's like, since I was an orphan myself. By rights, she ought to go to the Honorhall orphanage in Riften, but it's not a good place for children these days, from what I hear. I was there myself years ago, and I hated it there.

If it's gotten worse, then I wouldn't want to see her there. She'd be better off here on the streets than in that place. Here, all of the guards know her and look out for her. People here know her too, so it's not as bad as it was at first. The best would be if someone adopted her and took her in. I would myself, but I am only a single man and it is hard to get by on a guard's pay as it is."

Dhearys walked in with the girl, whose name was Lucia, clinging to her side in a bit of fear. Khali walked on her other side and smiled when she saw Lucia looking up at her.

"Don't be afraid, Lucia," Dhaerys said, "Nobody's going to hurt you."

She walked up to the bar and asked the woman to fetch the proprietor. The woman said that she owned the place and asked what the matter was.

"Do you know this girl?" Dhaerys asked.

Holda nodded with a sympathetic nod, "I know her. She has no one. When she comes in here, I try to give her something to eat at least. Not the best maybe, but I try.

She came in tonight looking happy for the first time since her mother passed on a few months ago. She said that she had enough money for a real meal and a bed. I was happy to hear it, I can tell you and I gave her the meal and more for only half a gold.

But she didn't come to tell me that she was ready to go to bed," the woman said, "When I looked around, she was gone."

"Where is your bard?" Dhaerys asked, "I wish to speak to him."

Holda looked puzzled, "That layabout? Why do you want to talk to him? He spends all of his time chasing women, trying to get up their dresses. I've spoken to him over it before."

She pointed, "There he is, trying to charm Ysolde - though I know that it won't work on her. She's far too smart."

"I want a word with him," Dhaerys said, "Please watch his face."

She walked over just as a young woman sitting at a table was telling a man to go soak his head.

"Pardon me," Dhaerys began, "Are you the bard who works here?"

"That I am," the singer smiled, not really believing his newfound luck, "Farren's my name. Perhaps you've heard of me?"

Dhaerys smiled, "That I have. Could you sing me a song?"

The man smiled, "Certainly! What would you like to hear?"

Dhaerys grinned, "Come and sing me a song about how you forced an orphan girl to hand over all the gold that she had, accusing her of stealing it."

"That lying little guttersnipe stole that gold," he said evenly, "she had no right to it. I was going to throw her out but she admitted her guilt by running out."

"Then perhaps you'd like to accuse her again, this time in front of me," Dharys said, "But before you do, you should know that I gave her that gold in the first place. She stole nothing. She ran because you threatened her.

That's the song that I want to hear. I want to hear you threaten her again in front of me, but I can already see that you don't have the stones for it. Please tell me that I'm wrong, you big, strong man."

"Who in oblivion are you?" Farren snarled, "Some lying bitch who's wandered in off the road?"

The guard stepped forward and drew his blade, "You're coming with me. This is a Thane of Whiterun."

Farren turned to run out the back, but Khali was there as he turned around and she shoved him backwards so that he was reeling toward Dhaerys again.

Dhaerys smiled as she took him by the hair and slammed his face against the dragon scales which armoured her shoulder.

Before he could get up, she had his purse cut off his belt. "My my," she said, pouring some of the contents into her palm, "I'd no idea that there was such money to be made as a bard. Even taking away what he got from my little friend here, there has to be over a hundred gold left! Tips were good tonight?"

Holda interjected then, "Tips? No one has given him anything all night. Who wants to hear him sing the only TWO songs that he knows all evening? More likely they paid him to shut up instead, but a hundred ..."

The guard had Farren firmly by that time. Dhaerys was still counting, "More than that. I'm well over two hundred and sixty."

"Saadia!" Holda called out, "Go and check the strongbox! Tell me what's there."

A minute later, the serving girl came back looking distraught, "The box is empty, Holda!"

"Were you going to blame that theft on a little orphan girl too to cover your tracks?" Dhaerys hissed angrily.

TaLtos6
TaLtos6
1,934 Followers
1...345678