Ashton Hill Siren

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"You did what? When?" she demanded, not believing him. "You didn't even know where I lived until yesterday, or the day before."

"Yesterday, while I was waiting for you to finish work. I went shopping and bought a house and a couple of other things I will give you at some point," he explained.

"Other things, like, what?" she was almost speechless now.

"An opal and something few things from Grayson Ryde, he has the most spectacular showroom there, I never knew. I'm planning on taking Monique to see it," he continued to speak as if it was no big deal.

"What if I didn't want this, or at least not the way you want it? What if I didn't want you in my hometown? What if..." she broke off as he grabbed her and pulled her to him, kissing away all her questions.

"What if you just accept that this is inevitable? I know you feel it too. It's different between us, it's amazing. What if you just stop fighting me and the way you feel and just see if we can make this work?" he said softly, holding her gaze.

"You're crazy!" she accused. "People don't go out and do these things, buy wardrobes and houses for girls they barely know! It's... it's... obsessive!" She was beginning to worry that he really was crazy. It wouldn't be the first time. David was plainly certifiable these days, not to mention delusional. "You must see how scary this is for me!"

"I scare you?" Chess asked, taken aback by her response.

"You're starting to scare me, yes," she admitted. "How would you feel if one of your conquests did the things you are doing for me?"

"They wouldn't, because even if they did live two hours away, I don't live with my parents who might get worried if they heard a girl or me screaming all night long. Even if it was in pleasure," he chuckled.

"So, you bought it so that when you visited we'd have somewhere private to stay?" she asked, somehow feeling slightly better about it, but only slightly. "You don't think you should have waited to see how this second date went and then talk to me about it first?"

"I knew how this would go. I told you, we are meant to be together. I finally understand the whole, eyes-across-the-room, love-at-first-sight, kismet thing," Chess said softly and took Ariel's hand. "I meant it, I am willing to do what it takes to make this work. That includes changing my work schedule so I can work from Ashton Hill a few days a week, and maybe you could get a day off here and there and come down here to be with me during the week."

"I wish you had waited," she sighed. "At least maybe for a third date. I mean, I know you have money, and buying a house is probably nothing to you, but it's a big deal, not just to me, but my whole town. People read more into this than what it is!" she said, letting her frustration with him show.

"So? Who cares if they know we are dating and serious about each other?" He asked, looking at her. "Are you seeing someone in Ashton Hill that you don't want to find out about us?"

"What? No! God, no!" she reeled at the thought of all the pitying looks she got from the townsfolk, even so long after being dumped on the eve of her wedding.

"Then why is it such a big deal if people know I bought a house for us?" Chess was defensive now and confused by what she was saying.

"With David back in town making my life miserable for the second time, I had been subtly floating the idea with Brian that maybe I should move to the city with Mikayla for a little while and pick up some locum work to offset getting a locum on contract there. It would give Brian extra time on the weekends to be with his family if he didn't have to worry about me always rushing off to the city, and a locum would be easily scheduled into that if it was mentioned as part of the contract," she explained, thinking through some of the details as she spoke.

"You were considering a move like that?" he asked, stunned that he hadn't considered that she would be open to moving to the city away from everyone and everything she knew, except Mikayla.

"Yes, so buying a house there was such a waste," she sighed.

"But you haven't decided or organised it, so it still could be a while, and at least we would have somewhere to stay when you went home to see your family and friends," he shrugged as if it was no big deal.

"We? You expect me to live with you there?" she asked.

"Yes. Why not? Haven't I been clear enough about what I want?" Chess asked, his voice taking on the commanding tone he used when he didn't want Ariel to argue with him.

"Once again you're not considering what I want in all of this," she sighed. "Don't my feelings matter? I'm not sure I'm ready for any of this."

"I'm not asking you to give up anything. I'm not asking you to move, although I would love it if you did. I'm just asking that you give me and us a chance, and you can't do that if we are living in different towns most of the time," he said reasonably.

"Just because you have more money than sense doesn't mean you can buy me," she said suddenly. "You can't just come in and try to take over my life. If you want a relationship, then there has to be two sides, people talking, compromise and happy mediums, not just one person overwhelming another person."

"So, ground rules," he said calmly. "Mine is that we are more than a part-time casual thing, and I have put things in place toward that goal. Anything else is up to you. This is your chance to tell me what you want and feel." He took another serving of the breakfast food and sat back, looking at her as he ate. She was silent for a long time, and he grew nervous. "You're the one who wanted ground rules," he prompted.

"I need time and space to think. You're so... intense and overpowering. I feel like you could swallow me whole if I let you," she said quietly. "You buy me clothes that are great, but not things I would buy for myself, and that's fine, because you don't know me. And you bought a house that you want me to live in with you, but it will be yours and decorated to your taste, because you don't know me. That's my whole point, you don't know me, and I don't know you."

"No, you just made my point. We can't get to know each other better if we live two hours away from each other all week. I know you love your town and your family, and you're reluctant to leave them, or you would have left when you were humiliated by David. I would never ask you to give up either, so I am willing to make changes in my life to accommodate you," he explained yet again. "You didn't seem to mind me overpowering you when we woke up this morning," he grinned.

"Can't I just use you for your body for a while and forget all the regular crap that goes into being in a relationship?" she complained, making him chuckle.

Normally those would be his thoughts when he met someone who wanted more, and he realised he had become the clingy woman he'd always hated hanging off him. The thought gave him pause, and he hated that she thought of him that way and considered his next words carefully.

"I have plans tonight that I can't change, and I would like you to come with me," he said gently. "You will need a dress. If you don't like the ones I provided, we could go shopping, or you could go shopping with Mikayla, if she is available. We have time, it's early."

"I haven't really looked at anything but the dress I wore last night, not properly," she conceded, seeing him try to compromise instead of expecting her to comply with his every wish. "This is the event you were supposed to take Julia to?" she asked.

"I wasn't supposed to take her. She just assumed we would be going together, and I told her she assumed wrong. She's just a friend, Ariel," he said sincerely. "If you don't want to go, then she will probably sit at my table, because that's what usually happens."

"She doesn't take her own date? You both just usually go solo but together?" She asked, knowing it made no sense. She felt the strange sense of jealousy she had last night at the thought of Chess being with Julia for the night because she turned him down to go home and eat toast while watching a rerun of some dreadful movie. She was being stupid. This guy had been nothing but amazing to her, and, if she was honest, she liked his command and control, more so in the bedroom than out of it, but he had shown several times that he was open to compromise.

"That's one way to put it," he shrugged. "We've been friends for a long time."

"Friends, huh?" Ariel smirked. "Even if you're not sleeping with her now, you must have been sleeping with her at some point, judging by your body language last night."

"Jealous?" he smirked and tilted his head.

"Should I be?" she asked. "Would you be if the situation was reversed?"

"Without a doubt. Just the thought of running into anyone you've dated or seeing them touching you..." Chess shook his head. "Not an image I want in my head."

"Let me look in the wardrobe and I will let you know if we need to go shopping," she said, scooting her chair back from the table. She wasn't about to let Julia get her claws back into Chess, even if she wasn't one hundred per cent sure about whether she wanted what he was offering or not.

"So, you will go with me tonight?" he asked, surprised by the turn in conversation when he had offered her the time and space she needed. He had expected at least one more argument about attending, but she was already walking toward the bedroom.

"You said you wanted me to go, didn't you?" she asked over her shoulder as if he was crazy again.

"I thought we were talking about ground rules here?" he chuckled.

*****

Chapter 5

The personal shopper Chess had used was good, Ariel had to admit as she stepped from the car at the entrance to the event venue. It was as if the dress had been made for her, such was the fit, and she wondered at how Chess had come up with the measurements and sizes he must have given the woman when he made the order. The sea green dress she had chosen was mirrored in the tie Chess wore. He had told her that supporting this charity was personal to both Collin and himself, because Collin's wife had died of brain cancer and the fledgeling charity, as it had been then, had helped him greatly through it all. With his brother, Phillipe, and his wife, Nereida, they had set up a family foundation that chose six worthy causes each year and threw fundraising events; this one being the largest and always on their annual calendar.

"I have a small surprise for you," Chess said as the entered the room where large round tables clustered around a dancefloor and a small stage. "It's not life-changing in any way," he held up his hands in surrender as she turned on him about to argue with him about making decisions without her again. After admitting to herself that she didn't want to see him with another woman and the implications of that, she had spoken to him about not making decisions for them as a couple without talking to her first.

"You remember Jake from last night," Chess said, indicating his friend who was walking toward them.

"I... umm..." she prevaricated. Truthfully, she wasn't sure who was who anymore, but as she turned around to look at the couple she grinned as she saw Mikayla with Jake. They looked comfortable together, though they weren't touching at all, but Ariel was torn between being excited to see her friend and being worried that Chess had set this up and Mikayla could potentially be hurt. Her excitement won out, and she embraced her friend when they got close enough.

"This is a surprise," Ariel said, releasing Mikayla. "Hello, Jake," she smiled and leant in to kiss his cheek.

"I told Mikayla last night that I didn't have a date for this thing and she took pity on me," he chuckled. "Luckily I am not above accepting a pity date."

"I somehow doubt you need a pity date," Ariel laughed with him. "It was nice of you to invite Mikayla though. She's a lot of fun to hang with."

"Yeah, she is," he agreed.

"Hello again," Julia said, making Ariel turn to take in the bombshell as she leaned up to kiss Chess before holding her hand out to Ariel.

"Hello," Ariel said, in what she hoped was a friendly tone. She wanted to be the bigger person and not act as if she was threatened by Julia's on-going friendship with Chess, but she couldn't bring herself to say it was nice to see her again.

"Jake, you have a date!" Julia sounded surprised but smiled at Mikayla and held out her hand.

"Mikayla, this is Julia, Julia, Mikayla," Jake introduced them. "We were about to go and see the silent auction items," he said. "We'll catch you at the table," he said directly to Chess, as if he wanted to get away from Julia.

"Was it something I said?" Julia asked innocently once they had walked away, then turned and smirked at Chess.

"Where's your date, Julia?" Chess asked, sounding unimpressed with her innocent act and letting it show in his expression.

"Networking, no doubt, I'll introduce you to him later," she said evasively. "You should go and see the silent auction items as well, if you haven't yet. There are some lovely items out there." She said sweetly, and then moved away to greet another person.

The night was wonderful. The dinner consisted of three courses of the most wonderful food, and the friends who sat at the table with Chess were all easy to talk to and get along with. Ariel got a different insight into the man who overpowered her with the intensity of his need and desire for her. She saw him relaxed and laughing with friends he obviously valued. She remembered Gary, as well as Jake from the previous night, and during the small breaks between courses she was able to catch up with Monique, as well as Chess' brothers and their wives from the night before. Nereida made a small speech at the end of the formal part of the evening, thanking everyone for their support and acknowledging the Roussel family and Chess, himself, for their charitable work in the community.

"Why don't you sit with your brothers at this event?" Ariel asked him as Nereida left the stage and a band started playing so people could dance and enjoy the remainder of the night.

"I always purchase a table with my friends, as do they. We see each other at least once a week for dinner already, sometimes I only see my friends at these events when work is busy, or I am chasing a siren who cast a spell on me," he grinned. "Do you want to come with me to congratulate Nereida on a great night before we go home?" Chess asked.

"Sure," she said, and got to her feet. Chess pulled her close and kissed her chastely.

"Don't drink any more, just water, okay?" he murmured into her ear. "I have plans for you tonight."

"You always have a plan. Should I be worried about this one?" she arched an eyebrow.

"Very," he chuckled. "I believe it's time to attempt the challenge we set on our first date."

"Oh, wow!" she gasped, but felt a small thrill run up her spine at his words. He'd left her alone after their brunch, at least physically. She thought perhaps he had finally worn himself out after the day before and a two-hour scene after they woke up. Now, as she looked at him, she realised he was just giving her a reprieve in preparation for what he planned tonight.

Chess took her hand and led her through the room to the table where Nereida sat with the directors of the charity. Chess was immediately swept up into the conversations and congratulations for another successful evening. He didn't let go of her hand, even though they were separated by their arm's lengths. Eventually, though, she let go, finding it easier to make her own space and watch him from a small distance as he spoke to the people who ran the charity.

"Ariel," Julia's voice sounded next to her, and she turned, surprised to find the beautiful woman there, seeming to tower over her. She had barely seen her all night, which she was thankful for. "Where's...." she began to ask, but spotted Chess a few meters away talking. "Something you'll have to get used to, I expect. Men like Chess are always in demand and married to their work. It takes a strong woman to know she will always walk in his shadow and be invisible while the sun will always shine on him."

"That's one way to look at it," Ariel said, and refrained from saying that she knew that didn't apply to her, at least not yet. Chess was prepared to compromise for her; he had bought a house close to where she lived to work from. What Julia said just didn't ring true to her, whether that would change in the future she didn't know, however.

"I expect that's why Jake's girlfriend finally left him. We all thought they would get married, but few women can deal with a mistress, especially when that mistress is their work," Julia continued along the same lines.

"I know the feeling. It's hard to not feel guilty about having to ask someone to pick up the slack while I get away for the weekend. Still, it's easier to be understanding of others when you feel that commitment to your career yourself, don't you think?" Ariel said easily, letting Julia know she had her own interests. "Not that my career is anything like Chess's, but I enjoy it. How about you?"

"Oh, I'm not married to my career. I'd give it all up in a heartbeat if the right man came along. Still, I'm quite successful in the corporate world. That's how Chess and I met originally," she offered.

"Julia, Ariel," Collin interrupted them, looking different in the black suit rather than his usual white shirt and navy trousers.

"Collin," Julia smiled. "It's so good to see you," she moved to kiss his cheek. "Are you here to pick up Chess' guest and save her from the boredom of following him from table to table for the rest of the evening?"

"Not at all. I am off duty for the event," Collin said. "This is a charity I support every year. I would have thought you knew that." He said pointedly. "I doubt Chess would let Ariel leave without him, regardless," he chuckled and looked at Ariel. "I'm surprised he let you get so far away from him right now, come to think of it."

"They had him surrounded," Ariel laughed easily. "I wanted to find Mickey anyway before we left, and now seems as good a time as any. Can you let him know where I went?" she asked.

"I'll accompany you, I'm sure Julia will pass on the message," he said, giving Julia a sidelong look.

"Sure, I wanted to talk to him anyway," she beamed.

Collin guided Ariel through the tables to where Mikayla and Jake stood talking to Gary and his date. Jake looked surprised to see them together, but Collin only winked and gave a small smile. Jake immediately looked around for Chess and spotted Julia standing beside him with her hand on his arm as if they were a couple. Chess would not even realise how it looked, but he would be seething once he realised Ariel and Mikayla had gotten the wrong impression.

"Do you think I should do something about that?" Ariel laughed as she saw what they were looking at. She pulled her phone from her bag and took a photo, capturing just the right moment when Julia leaned into him as they laughed at something one of the others said. It looked like a happy intimate moment, and, while it bothered her, she wasn't about to make a scene here by questioning the moment, acknowledging that if any media were here that would be the money shot. They looked like the perfect couple, unlike herself when she stood beside him. Ariel sent the photo to Chess and commented, "Miss me yet?" then hid behind Collin and Jake as she watched his reaction.

Chess took his phone from his coat pocket and checked it with a quick glance, not missing a beat in the conversation. He immediately disengaged himself from Julia and seemed surprised that she had insinuated herself so closely into the tight group of people. Then he excused himself and, scanning the room, walked toward Collin and Jake, who smirked at him.

1...89101112...14