Beacon of Humanity

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

They had set up a podium with a microphone and several speakers on the manoeuvring area. While we had still been on the island, Barbara had helped me compose a script. It ended up being some kind of biography which started the day I joined my professor's research team and ended the day I fled to my refuge. It then warped the truth a bit as I explained that Barbara had convinced me that I didn't need to live alone but could live as a part of the community without being ostracised. From there it turned into a plea to be granted some privacy. The disappointment when Barbara and I disappeared right after I had read the text was almost palpable. Rasheem stayed back to finish the press conference and he also replied to some of the many questions.

The first couple of days, we stayed at home. My Mum had replenished the fridge and we took the opportunity to overcome the jet lag. The first two days, there were rather large crowds gathering around the house but when we didn't come out, they slowly dispersed. After a week, there was nobody left and I could send the security team away.

We left the house for the first time to go for dinner at Barbara's family. I had already met them before as Barbara and I had graduated the same year and had been a couple for the last two years in School. It still took them a while to overcome their feelings of awe. I acted on instinct when I 'accidentally' upset my glass of wine. My overreaction, my desperate apologies, and my clumsy attempts at cleaning the mess with my napkin showed them that neither did I possess any supernatural powers nor was I anything but a regular guy having dinner with the parents of his girlfriend.

At first, I wanted to finish my doctoral thesis. That proved irrelevant. In the light of the events, I had been awarded the title despite never handing in my work. The next problem was that I had been out of the loop for too long. Twelve years had passed since I had last done any research in my field and I would effectively have had to start over. Therefore, I instead set up a charity which conducted fundamental research. I took the role of the main donation collector and had a seat on the board that decided on which projects we would support. Again, it took a while until the other decision-makers started to give their own input and thoughts. It was also important to me that we supported different fields and not just chemistry.

Our intention to live a relatively normal life failed. Both Barbara and I were soon targeted by paparazzi which made living in a regular home impossible. For the same reason we couldn't just go shopping for groceries. While people had stopped coming up to us asking for pictures or autographs, we were still drawing enough people to make it uncomfortable for everyone involved. Therefore, we discreetly looked around and soon found a large property to buy. The house was larger than we preferred but as we wanted to move in quickly, we decided against rebuilding. The plot itself was huge and surrounded by a large hedge, giving us the privacy we desired.

One of the more important steps of us getting a more or less normal life happened when Barbara overheard two girlfriends discussing who would bring what to the barbeque they were hosting. Instead of trying to get them to invite us, we just showed up. It took a few minutes of them apologising and then a short outburst from me for them to stop treating me like someone special. I was always wary of dominating a discussion and didn't talk much in the beginning. Then, while they were talking about football, the one actually played with feet, I came up with a simply absurd statement about the quality of two different teams. They couldn't let that idiocy pass and even though they were smart enough to know what I did, it started us on the way of becoming more relaxed around each other.

Our rekindled romance continued to blossom through all this. Not that there had ever any doubt about that happening. The circumstances had often been against us but our love for each other was always unquestioned. Now it was time for me to make the next step.

Barbara had been my inspiration and motivation while helping to develop the Cure. Barbara had been the main cause to go to the reunion. Barbara's reaction to my fame had been the primary driver to isolate myself on the island and finally Barbara had been the reason for me to return to civilisation. We were both thirty-six and we both wanted at least one child. Therefore, it was time for me to act.

As it would be all over the news if I went to a jeweller to buy a ring during the day, I had my new assistant, Rasheem was working for the governing body of the Global Federation by now, make an appointment with a young but promising goldsmith. Together, we designed a pair of rings, one for the engagement and one for the actual marriage.

The Saturday after the engagement ring was delivered to my office, I had everything prepared. My intention was to initiate a discussion about stopping contraception during dinner and from there move on to the proposal. But as they say, the best-laid plans of mice and men often go awry.

We had just slid the homemade pizza into the oven, I turned to wipe the counter, just to find Barbara kneeling in front of me with an open ring box in her hand.

"On the island, I said 'No matter what happens in the future, I will always be by your side'. I meant it then and I mean it now. Seb, will you marry me?"

THE END