Boston to Birmingham Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"He knew it was pure horseshit, but it made it go away, so he accepted it. He also had Hardy assigned to long range recon school, you know, the toughest of the tough. After that I don't know what happened to him."

The major knew. Top of the class in recon training, one tour of Iraq resulting in two purple hearts and three reprimands. A year stateside, training others, then back in the mix.

He was halfway through the second tour at the time of the 'incident'. He recalled the reports, including the interview with the lieutenant in charge.

"We were pinned down in a small valley, never saw it coming. The Taliban were dug into the crest of a hill. they had full range, we only had a small window. I already had two dead and three wounded. Every time one of us tried to move they dusted us. The wounded needed medical attention, and our comms were down, couldn't get a signal. Atmospheric abnormality, they said later. I was sweating it, when a voice I never heard before said almost in my ear. 'Damn, lt, what kind of shit have ya'll got yourselves into?' I freaked."

"This guy just eased right up on us, we never even saw him coming. Tall, lanky, grey eyes and a stupid grin on his face."

"How did you get here?"

"Same way you did, I was just a little quieter. They're trying to flank you, but the first two guys they sent out met Allah a little early. Ya'll hold tight, this might take awhile."

"And just like that he was gone, leaving his pack and rifle. I watched him for awhile, and it seemed like he just disappeared."

"About an hour later I thought he had just slipped away, when shooting broke out in the cave, followed by a lot of screaming and what sounded like an animal growling. It quieted down after about ten minutes, except for what sounded like a girl screaming. Our interpreter said it was a kid, yelling he was surrendering, begging for his life, asking Allah to save him from the demon."

I took a chance and we rushed the cave. There was seven men in it, and five of them was dead. One survivor was a kid, we found out later he was fifteen, huddled in the smallest crevice he could find in the back of the cave, begging for his life."

"The other man alive was Hardy. He had been shot three times, once through the right arm, breaking it. He had broken his left leg when he dropped into the cave, he said later it was deeper than he thought. He had been stabbed twice, and still had an AK hanging off his back by the bayonet."

"His sidearm had jammed on sand after the fourth shot. He managed to kill three before it did, then went to work with his knife. One guy was stabbed through the heart, but the other must have put up quite a scrap. He was cut and stabbed at least ten times. The kid had panicked, it was his first time in combat."

"What had him freaked though, was that even as wounded as he was, Hardy had his knife in his left hand, and was sticking it into the sand, dragging his body towards the boy. There wasn't a doubt in our mind he intended to kill him as soon as he got close enough."

"The medic had to hit him twice with morphine to knock him out. He was swinging the knife at us, it took fifteen minutes for him to realize we weren't the enemy."

"We back trailed him while we waited for the chopper and found five more Taliban enjoying Paradise, all with cut throats."

"It turns out one of the guys he killed was the son of a Taliban bigwig, and the boy was his grandson. It got so hot for blondes they brought in hair dye for awhile."

"We even got blonde wigs and started leaving tufts around on patrol, just to mess with their minds, you know. Of course he was back stateside by the time all that happened."

"You know, you hear all these wild stories while you're over there, but I never thought it was real until then. He was one of those guys they sent out, alone, with orders to create as much havoc as possible. I wonder if you went down his back trail how many good Taliban are now enjoying their seventy two virgins. That was the meanest man I ever saw."

The major remembered when he first treated him. PTSD was just coming into vogue, and the military was understandably concerned. They wanted a full profile before they returned him to civilian life.

He had read the original profile, the man should have been bounced over the D.I. incident.

When he finally met him, he was surprised. He seemed a laid back, happy country boy, with a smile on his face. It took a long time to get the full picture of his mindset and moral values.

It wasn't until he discussed his childhood that he made his first breakthrough. The smile had disappeared, remembering tougher times. He remembered his words exactly.

"I was twelve, my sister was eleven. My dad was a small time career criminal, always into something, always going to jail for short periods. Finally he got caught for grand theft auto, running cars into chop shops. His lawyer told him he was going away, but he would try to minimize the sentence."

"The lawyer said he would get bail reduced, but it would take a few days. Finally, grandpa posted bail. Mom and the lawyer were going to get him out the next day, but he hitched a ride back to the house to surprise mom. When we got home from school he was sitting in his truck."

"He got out and met us, taking us to the truck. I remember he had blood on his white tee shirt."

"Kids, we're gonna sit out here for awhile. I need to tell you something. I love you both, with all my heart. I'm going away, probably for a long while. Hardy, I want you to be a man now, and watch out for your sister. Don't let anything happen to her. Promise me, son."

"I did. He turned to my sister."

"Sissy, you're going to be as pretty as your momma. Find a good man, love him as hard as you can. And promise me, swear on your soul, you'll never cheat on him. I know you don't understand now, but you will later."

"He held us, crying. It was the only time I ever saw him cry. We could hear the sirens, and soon three sheriff department cars slid into the yard."

"The first cop was Will Rob Williams. He was just a deputy then, but later he got elected sheriff. He was a friend of the family, his daughter was a year behind Sissy, and mom used to babysit for them. I was surprised to see him with his pistol out."

"Jimmy,[that was my dad's name]step away from the kids."

"He stood up, spreading his arms out. He was calm."

"Will Rob, I ain't got a gun, it's laying on the floor in the bedroom. I called you guys. I surrender, try not to scare my kids anymore than you have to."

"He held his hands out to be cuffed. Will Rob cuffed him and put him in the car before going into the house. He didn't know it, but I was right behind him."

"He caught them in bed together, naked and doing the nasty, pulled an old revolver out of the dresser, and emptied it into them. I went into shock. It took a long time to get over it."

"Two years later my dad was killed in a prison riot, protecting a guard."

"Truth be told, I never got over it. I got into trouble, ran with the wrong crowd, ended up in juvie a couple of times. Then I got popped for of all things, running hot cars into a chop shop. Will Rob and the judge gave me a chance. Join the military and keep a clean adult record."

"I actually like the military, but it's not going to be a career. If I'm here, it's a pretty good indication ya'll don't want that either."

The major asked him why he went after the boy when he obviously was trying to surrender.

"When I dropped into the cave, he was the one manning the machine gun, grinning like it was the most fun he ever had. One thing I learned a long time ago, never let a live snake get behind you. If he hadn't panicked, I'd be the dead one and he would have been the toast of his village. I wasn't about to let him live to kill again."

He said it in a calm manner, like it was the most reasonable thing in the world.

He was right, he would never be career material, too unstable. There were plenty out there who would recruit him, an unstable mind and killer instincts made him very desirable, but the major fought against that. He was surprised to find Hardy had taken every educational opportunity offered, and needed one more semester to get a degree in business. He would be in rehab for at least another year, so the major tried to steer him into continuing his education.

He never saw him as a lawyer, but he had the right skill set. Intelligence, killer instincts, deceptive, perceptive, able to think on his feet.

By the time physical and psychological rehab was over, the major was convinced Hardy could control his temper and instincts enough to become a productive citizen. Nevertheless, he had him placed on a watch list.

In the end he diagnosed him with PTSD, and only he knew it didn't have anything to do with the military, but an incident in the life of a twelve year old.

Now it appeared he had slipped. If he didn't give a good report after his interview, he wasn't sure what was going to happen.

................................................

Gwen hated her life, hated it. Dealing day to day with the dregs of society has a tendency to suck the joy out of life.

It took a little getting used to. Her first case was grand theft auto. It was cut and dried, the guy was caught in the car, switch popped and cranked with a screwdriver that had his prints all over it. Of course he denied it, saying he borrowed the car from a friend, who didn't have a name or address.

The young black man denied even being in the car later.

Gwen couldn't believe it. The public defender knew she had no experience and tried to get him probation. While she was new to litigation, she was no stranger to negotiations, and that turned out to be sixty percent of her job. Karen was sitting in, and she wanted to make a good impression. She sat back and looked them over, letting them sweat.

"Bullshit!" she exploded.

"Your client is on the dash cam being pulled out of the car, cursing and screaming. He had crack in his pocket and had a blood alcohol level of .10, two points over the legal limit. His record took three sheets to print out."

"I'm new here and I'd love to go to trial, just to hone my skills. I HAVE to offer you a deal, but I really hope you don't take it."

"Something about your client makes me want to go to the bathroom. Here's the deal, plead guilty to grand theft and I'll forget about the drugs and the drinking. I'll even try to get him in rehab. You've got until I come back to make up your mind. If you don't take the deal, I prosecute for everything and the sentence triples. With his priors, it'll be a while before he boosts another car."

She got up, leaving Karen, the p.d., and the perpetrator sitting with their mouths open. She really did have to go to the bathroom, and when she came out Karen was standing there grinning.

"They took the deal before you had time to flush. The public defender will probably go back and tell the rest of his office about the new hardass Yankee a.d.a."

"I think you might do well here, but I have to warn you, they won't all be that easy."

They weren't. The workload was horrendous. She started taking work home, it wasn't like she had anything else to do. It got her noticed. Paul called her into his office.

"Girl, I'm impressed, you got the makings to be a hell of a trial lawyer. That being said, lighten up. All work and no play yada yada yada. Go out, have a few, talk trash, flirt with the locals. Rumors are already floating around about the Ice Queen from the frozen North. You'd be amazed how many guys want to thaw you out."

Before she had a chance to explode he changed subjects.

"How's the divorce going? I know you still wear your ring, that's why the wolves haven't tried to take you down, but if word gets out you're in the middle of a divorce they'll come after you hard."

She sighed. Ivan was really good and had thrown up roadblocks, pushing for mandatory counseling. So far his efforts had been blocked, and oddly, Hardys' lawyer didn't seem to be in too much of a hurry. It had been six months since the destruction of her marriage and she still hadn't seen or talked to him.

"I don't know how it's going. Everything is at a standstill. I can't talk to him and he won't talk to me. I'm starting to lose hope."

Damn it, she couldn't believe she could still cry over him. It was worst late at night, when she rolled over, expecting him to snuggle her and kiss her forehead like he always did, and wake up to find she was alone.

She would go out for drinks after work on Fridays with Karen and a few friends from the office, catch a movie with a female friend or two, but that was about it. She joined a gym and worked out to relieve stress. The loneliness and lack of affection was killing her. She would have sold her soul for a chance to see Hardy again.

She got her wish in a most unexpected way.

A small man, obviously in his late sixties or early seventies, and a tall woman, maybe mid-forties, came to see her, showing up at her apartment. She didn't know them, but as soon as they stated their business she couldn't get them inside fast enough.

"You don't remember us, but we were at your wedding. I'm Joshua Hardy. Hardy Wilkes is my grandson. This here is Hildy Baker, my niece. If it's not too much bother, we'd like to set a spell with you."

She settled them into the living room, asking if them would like a drink. Hildy asked for iced tea, and frowned when she told her all she had was unsweetened. Gwen still wasn't used to the syrupy sweet concoction Southerners consumed with gusto. Joshua wanted a beer. They both took a St. Pauli Girl, her favorite beer and one of the few treats she allowed herself.

After an appreciative swallow, the old man started.

"We're here about Hardy. He ain't doing good, not at all. As a matter of fact, he's been seeing the shrink he had when he was in service, and won't talk about it. He's edgy, and the whole family is walking mighty soft around him. You know first hand what he can do when he gets pissed. We need your help."

Tears formed again, she couldn't help it.

"I'd love to help you, but the last thing in the world he wants is to see me, he's made that abundantly clear. That being said, I'll do anything you want."

Joshua cleared his throat.

"He's still got it bad for you. I know for a fact he has a picture of you on his dresser. He said it was to remind him how stupid he had been, but I don't think even he believes it. He's deeply ashamed of what he did when he caught you in bed with that man. Not for beating him, or slapping you, but for what he did afterwards."

Gwen fought an almost uncontrollable urge to rub her left breast. There is no easy way to remove superglue, and a good bit of skin came off in the process. It was even worse for Allan, he lost a lot of skin in a most uncomfortable place. It was so painful he had to be sedated and take pills later to keep him from getting an erection while he healed.

She didn't know it, but the memory was so traumatic for him that it was months before he could maintain an erection and perform in bed.

"It was pretty painful for me, too. If he wanted to give me an object lesson about cheating, he succeeded. What he doesn't know is that I was drugged, and what was happening was basically rape. I even vaguely remember trying to fight him off."

Hildy had perked up with that information.

"If that's true it could help. Do you have proof?"

"I can get a copy of the tox screen they ran at the hospital. Would that help?"

She frowned.

"It might. But, Hardy told us you had done it before with that man, in Paris. Anything to that?"

Gwen flushed, there was no easy way to explain it.

"I'm ashamed to say there is. And there were drugs involved, but I took them willingly. It was just a monumentally stupid and selfish thing, even I don't know why I did it."

Joshua spoke sadly.

"Well, that might just tear it. If it had been one time and you had been drugged, he might let it go. But twice? I don't think he will."

He went on to tell her about Hardys' mother and father, and how it caused his unrelenting hatred of cheating spouses. She paled as she heard the story.

"It gets worse, I'm afraid. Did you know he has a sister? He hasn't seen or talked to her in ten years. Why? Because he effectively banished her from the family. She got married, a good boy. Two years later she cheated on him and Hardy caught her. He beat the hell out of her and her lover. Then he beat her husband for allowing it to happen, even though he never had a clue."

"They reconciled about three months later and moved out of state because they were afraid of him. She's got three kids now, great grandchildren I never see unless I go to her because she's afraid to come back."

"Her lover disappeared without a trace, left his car, clothes, everything. To this day there's a pond way out in the boonies no one will fish in."

The news had her reeling. Had she really married such a monster? Why did she still love him so desperately and want him back?

"Please, Mr. Hardy, how can I help? I'll do anything!"

"Well, if you're willing, the first thing we need to do is get you face to face. The family reunion is always held the second Saturday in September. That's three weeks away. He never misses one. I always wondered why you didn't come, but no matter. Be there and we'll make sure you get together where we can watch you in case it gets ugly. Are you willing?"

She nodded, not trusting her voice.

"Good, good. Come out this Sunday for dinner. That's lunch to you Yankees. I'd like to talk to you some more. Give Hildy your number, she'll give you directions. Thank you for your time."

They rose to leave, and she surprised everyone by kissing his cheek and hugging Hildy. She stood back embarrassed but he patted her cheek and Hildy smiled.

"See you Sunday. Get there before noon."

She stood and watched them drive off in the older model pickup, having hope for the first time in months.

.................................................

Hardy was restless, still on edge. The session with Major Stein was rough, and he was surprised when he set up a standing appointment every two weeks. He had even prescribed a drug to help him relax. He hated taking it, it was like admitting he was crazy, but he did. It actually seemed to help.

Crystal coming home also helped, but he knew she had an agenda so he limited his time with her. He didn't want to lead her on, just was not interested in a relationship right now. She knew it, but still made it plain she was available.

The cases helped. Greg had given him free rein to pursue cases he thought were worth taking. There was no shortage, services of his caliber were hard to come by, especially if it was free.

Most were cases of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Some were guilty, but mitigating circumstances came into play. He tried to get the innocent absolved and the guilty treated fairly. His reputation was growing, and he received job offers from premier firms all over the country.

Greg talked to him almost weekly. He knew he wanted to talk about his daughter, but every time he came anywhere near it Hardy would shut down the conversation and hang up.

Hardy didn't know, but Greg was also keeping close tabs on his daughter, and was pleased with what he saw. Paul had very positive things to say about her, but voiced concerns about her mental health.

"All she does is work and go home, and half the time she takes work home with her. Her drug tests so far are clear. She's like a recluse, as far as I know she doesn't even shop. How unhealthy is that for a woman?"

He still talked to her once a week, and the conversations were all the same. She would talk about a case she had in generalities and ask his advice. Then she would ask if Ivan had any news for her. The answer was always the same. He was working on it.