Boston to Birmingham Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

What he didn't tell her was that he had a little talk with Hardys' attorney, suggesting he take his time filing motions. The man was shocked that someone as prominent as Greg suggest he not look out for the best interests of his client, but they were old friends, and Greg convinced him, along with Ivan, that maybe divorce was not in anyone's best interest. So things slowed to glacial speed.

The only bright spot for Hardy was reconnecting with his family, cousins mostly, on his mothers' side. His dad had one brother, who died in Vietnam, and one sister, who died in a car crash at an early age. He and his sister were the only heirs to his grandfathers' farm. He was especially fond of Aunt Hildy, she was as close to a mother as he was ever going to have.

He ate Sunday dinner with his grandfather and whatever cousins would show up almost every week. Even though they were related only through his daughter in law, they still treated Joshua like a grandparent, maybe because he was a good man, or maybe because their grandparents were mostly gone, and family was important in their lives.

He often thought that his family was a matriarchal society. They respected his grandfather, but Aunt Hildy was the arbitrator in disputes, confidant to the younger generation, and final law. No one thought to question her. Luckily she was blessed with an innate wisdom and an abundance of common sense.

This was pretty much standard through the South. If you saw someone, the first thing they said was "How's your momma and them?", them being the rest of the family. Pretty much put their priorities in perspective.

Usually everybody that came brought a side dish, there was always plenty of fried chicken, pork chops, hamburgers, or steaks to go round. If there wasn't, they fixed more. It was the bright spot in his week. He was terribly disappointed that he had to travel and miss this week.

...............................................

Gwen didn't know what to expect, so when Hildy gave her some advice, she was grateful. Not much of a cook, she showed up at nine with two cases of St. Pauli, ready to help Hildy. Joshua was pleased to see the beer, and iced it down while Hildy gave him dire warnings of what would happen if he started on it before dinner.

By ten people started showing up. Gwen had mastered the art of tea making and had several gallons ready to be chilled. The introductions flew, and she knew she would never keep up.

"Don't worry, child, it'll come to you. Right now, just smile and be polite. They'll warm up to you pretty fast."

What disconcerted her the most was the teens and younger people addressing her as Aunt Gwen. Again Hildy interpreted.

"Be proud. When they address an older female as aunt, no matter what the familial relationship, it's a sign of respect and acceptance. By now they all know who you are, but most will be too polite to bring it up. Now, help me with the burgers and hot dogs."

It was the most enjoyable afternoon she had had since coming south. After the meal she found herself surrounded by women from their teens and early twenties, to a few in their late fifties, sitting in the shade of an oak grove, while the men went off to throw horseshoes and drink beer.

The questions soon flew. Was she really a lawyer? What was Boston like? Did she like it here? The questions seemed endless. Then one of them brought up the elephant in the room.

What was Uncle Hardy like? To the younger generation, he was stuff of legend. A war hero, married to a Boston belle, defender of the weak and downtrodden. She chose her answers carefully.

"He's the best man I ever met. Kind, considerate of all. A true Southern gentleman."

One girl was persistent.

"If he's so great, why aren't you together anymore? The family talks you know. You're down in Birmingham and he's up here. I heard he beat you up."

Tears formed but she refused to let them fall.

"He didn't beat me up. He hit me once, in what he thought was self defense. He's not with me right now because I was a weak, foolish person, and I did something so bad he lost respect for me. I'm trying to fix that."

Hildy had been listening.

"Melissa Sue, mind your tongue and your manners. Your Aunt Gwen could use a little support right now."

Melissa Sue apologized immediately, and gave her a hug. That broke the dam, and the tears flowed. The girls immediately went into sister mode, hugging her in turn. She couldn't help it, for the first time she could grieve in public, and the tears were a long time stopping.

Later, as she helped with the cleanup, Hildy gave her words of encouragement.

"You made some friends today. You didn't lie, you stood up and took responsibility. They respect that. Don't be pushy, they think that's a Yankee trait and they don't respond well to it. Just be you, and they'll come around. Now, you have to take some leftovers home. I'll get the Tupperware."

Hildy hugged her and Joshua surprised everyone there by kissing her cheek. That simple act solidified her standing in the clan.

She was thinking as she drove away of the many social events she had attended through the years, the black tie affairs, the brunches, the formal dinners, the power lunches, and none compared to sitting down at a picnic table with people who considered her family, who weren't impressed with her social standing or money, who she was just 'Aunt Gwen' to, no more, no less.

.................................................

The mood was somber at work that Monday, but for the first time in a long time she had hope for the future. As she prepared for another day of defending the public interests, Paul called her into his office.

Karen was there, she couldn't put her finger on it, but she felt like something bad was about to happen.

Paul seemed uncertain, rambling. She let him go on for awhile before she broke in.

"For goodness sake, Paul, what's going on?"

He sighed.

"Let me give you a little history lesson. We got troubles, for some reason we're right in the middle of a drug corridor. They bring it in through the swamps and bayous of Louisiana as well as our coast and the coast of Mississippi and from there it's a straight shot north. You know how many interstates cross right in town. We've made some arrests, some big seizures, but they're just a drop in the bucket. We've noticed more 'retail' traffic lately, and have determined that the cartel that's moving through has decided to move in. They're muscling local dealers, turf wars are starting to break out. It's getting messy."

"Saturday we got a break. One of the county deputies stopped a car that was weaving. The guy was stoned, and had enough coke in his car to constitute a felony distribution charge."

"The guy that got popped is Raul Escobar, nephew of the cartel leader, Don Vincente. They have a history in Mexico of doing in cops and prosecutors involved with one of their major players. Rumors are already floating."

"This one could be bad. It probably won't go to trial for another few months, but right now he's in jail with no bond because he's a foreign national and a huge flight risk."

"I want you to try the case. You've got no relatives here, there not much of a way they can get to you. Will you take it?"

She sat for a minute, thinking.

"In other words, I'm the sacrificial lamb. I'll be gone in a few months, and no one locally will get the fallout, except maybe you and the cop. Minimizing risk, counselor?"

He had the good grace to look ashamed.

"Basically, that's it in a nutshell. They got nothing to threaten you with. If they check your background, I don't think even they are stupid enough to threaten you father. If they check on your husband they'll find the same thing. We will, of course, keep an eye on you. Think you can do it?"

She smiled.

"Give me the file."

.................................................

Hardy wasn't in the best of moods. His cousin and close friend had just dropped by, and the news wasn't good.

They hugged, got caught up on each others' lives. Harry was married and had two kids, both boys. His wife was rather plain, but the love he had for her made her beautiful, at least to him.

Harry had been his second in command in his wilder, younger days. Not a planner, he was very good at executing. Dependable, loyal, not afraid to speak, they made a good team.

When Hardy left for the military, another cousin, Roy, had stepped into the power vacuum and took over. He didn't have Hardys' finesse or style, but he got things done.

Harry was there with a problem. Roy had been eyeing the armored car that serviced the local Wal-Mart. His sources said it was a two to three hundred thousand score, and that made it very attractive. He had made a plan, and wanted Harry to do the job.

When he started, Hardy stopped him.

"Hold up, slick. I'm an officer of the court now. Don't tell me about anything illegal, I'll be duty bound to report it."

He saw the disappointment in Harry's face.

"But, say, if you were talking about a hypothetical situation, and wanted to pick my brain as a lawyer, I would not be adverse to offering an opinion."

"Thanks, Hardy. I got a body shop, I'm making good money, enough to support my family. I'm getting a little long in the tooth for wild shit like Roy has in mind. Now, say this was really going down, and these were the plans, think it would work?"

He looked it over.

"Whoever does this is looking at a minimum of seven years in the federal prison. This is the same as robbing a bank. This plan wouldn't work. Too much time lag. You know those things have gps, streaming video, panic buttons, plus they're a lot stronger than they used to be. Whoever did this would have to be in and out in less than ten minutes, and that includes subduing the armed guards and off loading the cash. You can't do it on that time frame. I suggest you tell whoever set up these hypothetical plans to forget it and hit an easier target."

"Thanks Hardy, I appreciate it."

They shook hands and Hardy gave him some cards.

"Here, just in case one of the cousins run into trouble. Tell them to say I'm their lawyer and nothing else until I get there. Got it?"

Harry turned down the job, citing Hardys' analysis. Roy got three of the younger cousins to do it anyway. They were in custody before an hour had elapsed.

Hardy got them to plead them out, they didn't have a choice. They were too loyal to rat on anyone, saying it was their own idea. Each got seven to ten in federal prison.

Roy was upset and sent word to Hardy to stay out of his business. Hardy sent back word he needed to stop making plans that got kids locked up.

Roy was worried. His people were starting to question him. Things had not been going well for him lately, a new player was moving in, revenue was down, and he didn't see a good end in sight. On top of all that, he felt he was being undermined by Hardy.

"I need to teach that prick a lesson. But if I touch Hildy or Joshua, the cousins not in the business could make it very uncomfortable for us. Too bad there's nothing I can use for leverage."

Ronnie Wilkes was his enforcer. What he didn't have in brains he made up for with size and brutality. Plus, he had never liked Hardy because he didn't seem to fear him.

"Wal, cousin, There's always his old lady. They're split up, but you know how he is about people messing with things that belong to him."

Roy snorted.

"I ain't going all the way to Yankee land to go after his bitch. I need something local."

Ronnie grinned.

"Don't have to, she's an assistant d.a. right here in Jefferson County. Cousin Bertie told me, after making me swear I wouldn't tell anyone. She's going by her maiden name, Canaday. If we stop by and pay her visit he might get the message."

Harry was listening to the conversation, and gave his opinion.

"I think that is probably the stupidest idea you've ever had, Roy. They didn't give him the nickname 'hardass' because he could sit on uncomfortable furniture. This might blow up on you, make you look mighty foolish."

Ronnie scoffed.

"He's old news. A freakin' lawyer, how tough can he be? I bet he's soft as jello and can't walk up the courthouse steps without losing his breath."

Harry actually laughed.

"You keep thinkin' that. I'll put it on your tombstone. I've seen him, boy, he's bigger than ever and it ain't flab. But, see for yourself. Don't think for a minute when this little plan goes to hell I won't be there saying I told you so."

He walked out, still laughing.

They scouted her. She was a creature of habit, always arriving home at about six. She hardly ever went out.

He couldn't believe how easy it was to get her to let them in. All they had to say was they were cousins and had a message from Hardy, and she practically dragged them into the house.

................................................

Gwen didn't like the looks of the two men, but when they introduced themselves and mentioned Hardy, she took off the safety chain and let them in.

It happened so fast she didn't have time to react. The big one grabbed her and zip strapped her to a kitchen chair, shoving a gag into her mouth. The older one took another chair and sat it in front of her.

"Listen Missy, I get some promises from your old man and we leave quietly. He bows up on us the least little bit and your life could get unpleasant. I'll start with letting Ronnie get to know you a little better and go from there. If I take your gag off, you promise not to scream? I need you to speak so Hardy knows I'm really here with you. Got it? Now, I'm gonna call him, you just set tight."

She nodded. When the gag came off she smiled. It gave Roy the creeps.

"You know who my husband is and you're dumb enough to do this? I hope he lets me watch when he gets hold of you. And if you're depending on me to call him, you're out of luck. I don't know any of his numbers."

Speaking with more confidence that he had, he told her not to worry, he had the number.

"I'm gonna put it on speaker so he can hear us."

He picked up on the third ring.

"Hardy Wilkes."

"Hardy, Roy here. I hear you been snooping around my business. I don't like people in my business. I got a woman here who wants to say hello."

He held the phone up to her.

Staring straight into his eyes, she spoke.

"Hardy, honey, I want you to tear them a new ass."

Roy snatched the phone back.

"That's right, I'm here with your woman. We don't want this to get ugly, now do we?"

"Why would it get ugly, Roy? Great minds must think alike. I heard you wanted to talk and stopped by your house. You sure got a nice family."

It was the first time she had ever seen a man look like he was going to faint.

"Now, Hardy, don't...."

Hardy talked right over him.

"Your wife sure makes good pie. I brought a little surprise for you. I got your daughter June sitting on my lap, swinging on the front porch. I had to come out here to get signal. She sure wiggles a lot for a six year old. Here June bug, tell your daddy what I brought you."

A child's excited voice was heard,

"Daddy, guess what? Uncle Hardy brought us tickets to Six Flags! They got rides and everything! He says we're going this weekend. Isn't Uncle Hardy the best? Are you coming home soon Daddy?"

"That's enough, June bug. Let me finish talking to your daddy. See if your momma will give me another piece of that pecan pie, okay?"

You could hear the little girl scurry off, calling for her mother.

Roy spoke up, the nervousness in his voice.

"Now, Hardy, let's not let this get out of hand. I.."

"Shut the fuck up, asshole. You need to spend more time with your family. You know kids like June bug disappear every day, right? And your oldest, boy, I bet she's already breaking hearts. Be careful, watch her close. Beautiful girls like her could end up in some big trouble if you're not careful. You hear what I'm saying, Roy?"

Roy was opening and closing his mouth like a fish trying to breath air. Gwen couldn't help it, she spoke up.

"I think he hears you just fine, honey."

"Good. Now, I think you need to get on home to your family. You're going to Six Flags this weekend. Three days and two nights, all expenses paid. A client gave it to me as a bonus, and I don't have a family to enjoy it with. I'm gonna call June bug Monday. If she doesn't say she had a great time I'm gonna be pissed. You really wouldn't like me to be pissed."

"And Roy, you're right, your business isn't mine and I don't do that sort of thing anymore. But, Roy, my business is my business, and don't go poking in it, you understand? Until I get the divorce papers, she's still my business."

"If Ronnie is there, tell him if she says he knocked one hair out of place, I'll cut his hand off, one finger at a time. Nowhere he can hide, no one he can hide behind. You understand me?"

Roy finally got his voice back.

"Whatever you want Hardy, you got. I'm sorry we had this misunderstanding. If there's ever anything you want, just say the word. Please Hardy, leave my family alone."

He was almost crying.

"Well, Roy, I'm glad we cleared this up. Remember, if June bug doesn't have a good time this weekend, I'll be looking to you for answers. And I'm taking the rest of this pie home with me, if I can talk your wife out of it. Kiss your family for me when you get home. You don't know how lucky you are."

The line went dead.

They were very gentle removing her restraints.

"Please tell him we didn't mean nothing, and that we didn't hurt you. Please."

She laughed.

"You assholes. If he had wavered just a little bit I'm sure I would have had a very bad evening. I'm going to tell him you roughed me up and that Ronnie boy let his hands wander. Tell me which funeral home you think will handle your services and I'll send flowers. Now, get the hell out of my house!"

They almost ran out the door. She leaned against it. So much for the 'redneck mafia' that Hardy had built before he got shipped off to the military.

"He still loves me. He threatened a whole family for me. I got to hear his voice. All in all, a good day."

Six months ago that would have filled her with horror. She went to bed and slept like a baby.

.................................................

She dressed, undressed, dressed again for the reunion. Hildy said they would be outside most of the day, wear something comfortable and light. She finally settled on a modest white tank top and green cargo shorts. It seemed to hit the right balance of comfortable but attractive.

Hair and makeup were totally different matters. Being outside, she went light on the makeup, and put her hair up in a style that looked spontaneous but every woman knew took quite a bit of work. She discovered she enjoyed shorter hair, and it was nowhere near as long or complicated as it used to be. She rehearsed over and over what she wanted to say if she got a chance to talk to him.

They were cooking whole hogs, chickens, even a side of beef. Four cookers were going full blast when she got there, and the smell was unbelievable. Joshua was watching for her arrival. Hopefully he was glad to see her, but it could be the five cases of beer, St. Pauli of course. She had gotten him hooked, and he almost started a riot with the guys tending the kegs when he said it was better than Bud.

Hildy grabbed her, shoved an apron in her hands, and sent her to the kitchen. She was greeted by a chorus of "Hey, Aunt Gwen", many of them she was sure she had never met. They put her on the slaw line, and for ninety minutes she ran cabbage through a food processor. The men were setting up tables and carrying the side dishes out. She kept looking for Hardy. Hildy noticed.

"Relax, hon. He's coming. One of the cousins got into a little scrape and he had to go down and smooth it over. He's on his way. Why don't you go freshen up? This kitchen hasn't done much for your hair."