Building a Dream

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

After Sam got his information he began the long journey back to his home. Again his mind was busy as he rode. Sam knew one thing for sure. He needed a source of income greater than the one he now had. Oh, sure he was slowly saving money from his sales. He was several dollars ahead of his goal right now because of Jane's small savings and because he had not needed to purchase items because she had them in her wagon. They had nowhere near enough to set up any type of business here or anywhere else though. He needed to think some more.

The women could tell something was bothering Sam over the next week. Many times they would find him sitting more or less staring into space instead of working. Finally one evening while they were relaxing near their bathing hole they asked him what was bothering him.

Sam looked over at the two naked beauties and said, "I have been thinking about where we go from here. I know we talked a couple of weeks ago and discussed what we want with our lives but nothing was settled."

Both Jane and Dove looked worried. Finally Jane asked, "You mean you have decided we need to move? Where are we going to move to? When are we leaving? I thought we decided we liked it here."

"No, I wasn't thinking seriously about moving. I meant I have been trying to decide what changes, if any, we should or could make in our life, in what we do for our living. I don't want to do anything that would get us back in the rat race I used to be in when I was uptime. I have been trying to decide how we can cut back some on our work now and live better. I also want to find out some way to make more money so we can have nicer things. I have been thinking about designing some machinery to improve food production. I want to design and build generators for electricity so we can have lights and refrigerators. I have even been wondering if we could open a lab and use your knowledge of chemistry to make pharmaceuticals or agricultural chemicals or even consumer chemicals. I checked out shipping and material suppliers slightly the last time I was in town too with an idea of importing things we might need here instead of us leaving to go where they are and working there."

Janey and Dove relaxed when Sam was talking. They both still looked serious. Jane said, "Well that makes me feel better. I would like to live better and not have to work so long and hard. I would even like to use my knowledge. Do you really think we can get something going here?"

"I'm still not sure. One of the drawbacks is money. We just don't have enough money to do anything serious here. The last time I checked we only had about $100 saved. That is a lot for these times but it isn't much when you consider all the metal and tools and other equipment we would have to buy to use either of our degrees here. I thought maybe we could expand our farming operation slightly and see if we can generate more income that way. I think we could sell chickens and eggs in town too. I am positive we can sell vegetables and other crops if we can increase the cropland we cultivate. The money we have saved will be enough to expand in those areas. We can even use our knowledge somewhat to improve efficiency I think."

The women looked at each other for a moment then turned back to Sam. This time it was Dove who spoke. She said, "Is good. I not know much you and Janey know. I can grow things and care for chicken. You help. We get much money there."

After more discussion it was agreed they would expand their crop production and chicken production. With those plans made they moved onto more immediate needs. Before long both women had screamed out their pleasure from Sam's attention to the immediate needs of the small family. They then walked arm in arm back to the house for a good night's sleep.

The next day Sam began working to clear more land for their expanded crop production. The trees he cut were pulled back to their yard to be made into an enlarged chicken house so they could expand that part of their business as well.

Jane and Dove both helped Sam in the fields and while he was building the larger chicken coop. While they worked they discussed further options for increasing their income. After his next trip to Nacogdoches Sam had another idea he asked Jane about. He said, "Jane there are several small oil wells around Nacogdoches. The first well in Texas was drilled near her in 1859. Do you think if we got some oil from one of these wells you could come up with something that has not been invented yet? What kind of lab equipment would you need to work on the oil if you think that is a good idea?"

"I don't know Sam. I know of several things that come from crude that haven't been discovered yet but I don't know for sure if I can remember enough of the procedure to make them. I guess it would be worth a try if you want to."

"Well think about it. I think I'm going to design a farm tractor and see if I can get one of the blacksmiths to help me build it. If I can make a powerful enough one I can design some implements for it too and revolutionize farming. If you could come up with some chemicals in the agricultural area we might be able to clean up. We could license our ideas and live pretty well off the royalties. If my memory serves me well the gasoline engine has just been invented or will soon be invented in Europe. I can design one here and claim to have invented it independently of those inventions over there. If I can find someone who can manufacture all the parts necessary I might be able to jump start automobile and internal combustion vehicle production. If we get in on the ground floor there we could live well on that income also."

The next time Sam went into Nacogdoches he asked about the oil wells in the area. He found out who he needed to talk to about purchasing some of the crude oil then purchased several barrels. He was shocked at the low price he had to pay for it even if they delivered it to his farm. In the end however he decided since they had a wagon he would just pick up the oil at the well and save the delivery charge. Sam also ordered some of the items Jane told him she would need to begin her research on the oil. She was sure she would take some time rediscovering even the simple things.

That summer their farm prospered. Sam made several trips to town to sell produce, eggs and even chickens. He quickly replenished his little savings stash and even increased it substantially. As he got enough money ahead he purchased lumber and fittings to build a laboratory for Jane to work in. He also built a nice office in the same building to use for his designing work and to keep records for the farm and of Jane's experiments.

CHAPTER 3

One day while Sam was working in the field a bedraggled group of Indians came wandering up to him. At first he was worried and picked up his rifle. When they didn't make any threatening moves he relaxed. Between his poor Caddo and their poor English he discovered they were basically escaping or running away from the reservation they had been on. Their family originally came from this area and they wanted to return to it. They begged for food. If he would not feed them all they begged for food for the three children at least.

Sam asked them to follow him back to his cabin. When they wandered into the yard Dove saw them and came toward them. Part way there she shrieked and ran to the oldest man. She wrapped her arms around him and hugged him tightly. The old woman with the group rushed to Dove and wrapped her in her arms as well.

Jane heard the commotion and came out of the laboratory to see what was going on. Sam stood and watched the proceedings. When Jane came to him with her eyebrows arched in inquiry he shrugged his shoulders. Sam and Jane stood watching the obvious reunion for a few minutes. Finally Dove turned and pulled the woman toward Sam. The older man followed. As he walked up to Sam he stared him in the eye carefully.

Dove stood before Sam and Jane and said, "Sam, Jane these are my parents Coyote Fighter and Beautiful Dawn. They have come back to our traditional home. They believed I was dead when I did not come back with my man. I have explained how we came to be together. Sam they ask if they may camp here for a while and visit with me before they move on."

"Hell yes Dove Honey. And unless they really want to go somewhere else your family is welcome to live over there by the stream as long as they want. We can build them a cabin and they can just stay if they want. I've been thinking about finding some part time help for the farm anyway. Maybe they can help you some with the vegetables and chickens too."

After some discussion it was agreed that Dove's family would stay. They and Sam worked for several days building them a cabin to live in. They wanted to build a traditional lodge originally but Sam would not hear of it. In the end he thought they were secretly pleased he insisted on the cabin. Sam was pleased with how hard they all worked both on the cabin and on the other work around the farm. Their help gave Sam and Jane more time to work on the modern items they were trying to rediscover. Sam almost had his first engine design ready. He knew it would be low power and probably wouldn't last long even if it worked at all but he had to start somewhere. He was afraid the steel in this time period was of much too low a quality to withstand the stresses the engine produced for any length of time.

Jane was busy working on the oil Sam had hauled in. She was trying to develop some good fuel for Sam's engine as well as some of the simpler chemicals and other oil derivatives that were not currently being made. Both felt as if they were having some success. Sam was a lot of help with developing fuels because of his prior work in the refinery. He knew some of the procedures and designs necessary to process crude into the various products that could be made from it.

Sam was having a difficult time getting much work done on his designs because of the necessity of taking produce and meat to town and because he found himself helping Jane with some of her work also. One evening after they stopped work for the day Sam and Jane were sitting beside the stream relaxing after their bath. He said, "Jane I have too many irons in the fire. Dove's family has helped a lot with the farm but they can't help with many of the things that are taking my time now. I need someone to drive our wagon to haul things for us and sell or deliver them into town. No one will do business with an Indian in these times. If they do they rob them blind or just take what they have to sell. I need to find someone reliable to hire to help us. I also think we need to find someone who is educated enough to help you here in the lab. I know a little chemistry as it applies to engineering but that is damn little. I know a bit about designing and building a refinery too. One of these down timers who work in the field knows more practical petroleum chemistry than I do by a long shot. Besides the right hire might really help you better than you can imagine."

Jane sighed and said, "I had almost come to that conclusion myself. I have watched you travel back and forth more than you get to work on your projects. I can also really use some knowledgeable help in the lab too. I know you try but you have no training in chemistry so about all you do is fetch and carry or help record things for me. How are we going to go about finding the help we need?"

I don't think it would be too hard to find someone to help with the wagons and selling the farm produce. Your assistant will be more difficult though. Why don't we find someone to help with the farm first then maybe advertise in some of the larger cities in the east for the petro chemist? I know from history that Standard Oil was going strong in Cleveland Ohio. I think good ole John D. Rockefeller bought out a lot of refineries a couple of years ago. We might be able to either find some of those men who are out of work or who want to get away from one of the original Robber Barons to work down here with us."

"That might work. Why don't you find out how we can send those advertisements next time you are in Nacogdoches? I would really like to have a couple of those men working down here with me. Something we need almost as much as the men though is money. Some of the research I have to do will cost a lot even considering how cheaply we can buy items here. The relative cost will still be high as it would back in our time."

The next time Sam was in Nacogdoches he put the word out he needed to hire a good man. Everyplace he delivered his produce and meat he mentioned needing someone to do that for him as well as work on the farm. At one of the stores he delivered to Sam overheard one of the local ladies talking to a crying young woman. She slapped her and said, "I don't know why Silas lets people like you in his store. The people of this town ought to run you three completely out of the country. You're a disgrace to all God fearing people. Now get out of here before I have Silas throw you out."

The woman left crying. She hadn't been gone long when Sam finished his business. Sam was almost to his wagon when he saw the women crying and talking to two strong looking young men. The men looked almost exactly alike. They were both holding her and rubbing her back while they tried to calm her. She allowed one of them to wrap her in his arms. The other turned and started toward the store. He said, "I've had it with that sanctimonious old Bitch. I'm going to tell her husband to either control her damn mouth or I'll give HIM a beating. There's no reason for her to treat you like that Honey."

Sam agreed with the man. He didn't know what the problem was but there was no reason for the woman to have talked to the crying lady like she had. Just as he started to get into his wagon he heard a shot come from within the store. He dropped to the sidewalk once again and drew his pistol. He and a couple of other men moved carefully toward the store. When Sam got to the door he saw the young man who had gone storming inside laying on the floor bleeding. The storekeeper was standing over him with his pistol hanging by his side.

The sheriff pushed Sam aside and walked into the building. He demanded to know what had happened. The storekeeper said, "Jed there came in here raising hell again. I told him the last time he was in here I'd shoot his ass if he came in here again. He did so I did. This is my business and I don't need trash like him or that floozie he and his brother shack up with coming in here expecting to be treated like God fearing folks.

The sheriff turned to a man wearing a deputy's badge standing beside Sam. He said, "Go find Doc Adams and have him come over here and look at Jed before I lock him up. If you find the other two and lock them up too."

The sheriff began asking some of the other people around if they had seen the incident. He found out that Jed came into the store yelling at the storekeeper about the mistreatment of his wife. He demanded the storekeeper's wife apologize to his wife for the way she treated the other woman. The storekeeper had picked up the gun he kept behind the counter and shot Jed with no warning.

When the Sheriff questioned Sam he told him what he had seen then asked about the three. The Sheriff grimaced and said, "Don't know much about them. They was passin through, the three of them when their wagon broke down. At first things was ok, folks felt sorry for them and gave them work along to help out. Jed there works still out of town at one of the wells but the other two can't find work. The town is trying to get rid of them. My God, that floozie is actually sleeping with both them boys! She even calls em her husbands! Good God fearing folks just can't allow things like that to go on. It's a sin and we don't want our children around such as that. Guess I'll just arrest them and let the Judge sort it out."

Sam stood for a moment. He saw a red haze through his anger. He reached out and held onto the Sheriff's forearm. He said, "Sheriff are you tellin' me there's a law against married folks sleeping with each other in this town?"

"Well O course not! Why you askin' that?"

"Well you said you were going to arrest those folks for that. It seems to me like you ought to arrest the storekeeper there for shooting an unarmed man before you arrest someone for being married."

"What do you mean? Saul has a right to defend hisself and his store. He aint no different than you was when I didn't arrest you for killing that other feller."

"Well Sheriff I think there's a lot of difference. I killed a man that was trying to kill me. Silas shot a man that was complaining about the man's wife beating on his wife while transacting business in his store. It seems to me like that was a correct thing for that poor woman's husband to do in the situation."

"You mean Mary actually hit that woman? I think I need to do some more investigatin' here."

The Sheriff was still inside the store talking to people when the crying woman and the uninjured man came out of the building supporting the injured man. They moved off down the sidewalk slowly heading toward the edge of town. Sam watched them as they walked out of town and turned toward the stream about a quarter mile away.

He clucked at his team and drove on. He finished his deliveries and then went back to his favorite store to make his purchases. As he was heading home for some reason he turned his team in the direction the three people had gone earlier. Their trail was easy to follow. He got to the stream and found them beside an old beat up farm wagon. One wheel and axel were broken. There was a makeshift tent beside the wagon made from an old tarp. There was a coffee pot on a small fire. The woman was crying still while she worked on the injured man.

When Sam drove up the uninjured man stood and picked up a rifle. He watched Sam carefully. Sam stopped his team and said, "I'm Sam Pritchard. I saw what happened in the store today. I did some checking after. I heard you all were stranded here and looking for work. I run a farm east of here some and need some help. If you want I could give you some work. I know a little about gunshot wounds and such. I could maybe help your man there too ma'am."

The woman looked up at Sam with tears running down her cheeks. She said, "Thank you Sir. He needs help but you should know we don't have money. We can't pay you right now. But we're good for it, Honest! Can you please look at my husband?"

Sam got out of his wagon and pulled his bag from it. He moved to the injured man and went to work. He worked on him for thirty minutes. He pulled the bullet from the wound and cleaned it as best he could. He pulled some threads from the man's shirt and some lead shavings from the wound then sewed it closed, covered it with antibiotic ointment and bandaged it.

Sam sat back and said, "That's all I can do right now. If you want we can take him to my place and I can watch him for a spell. I don't make any promises but I hope I can save him. As soon as he wakes up I need to give him some medicine to help kill infection."

The other young man held his hand out and said, "I'll thank you for that Mr. Pritchard. We would appreciate your help. We'll try to work and pay ya back as soon as we can. Before ya let us go ta your place though there's some things ya should know about us." The man looked at the woman kneeling beside the injured man and continued, "I'm Saul Phelps. Me and my brother Jed there. And Sally there too, we're married."

"Well great! I'm married too. If ya love someone you should be married shouldn't you? That's a good thing I think."

"No, I mean we're all married to each other and folks about here don't approve of that. We've had trouble everywhere we go because of that but we love each other. My brother Jed and I both sparked Sally here. We fought a lot over her but neither of us wanted to give her up and she couldn't choose between us so we just decided we would all marry each other and make our own family. We all lost our jobs in Ohio because our boss didn't approve of our lifestyle. He a strong Baptist and was a powerful man. He made sure we couldn't find other work in the area. He even threatened our family's jobs if we didn't change our ways. We had to leave home because our families didn't approve and because of the pressure he put on them. We've been traveling trying to find a place folks would accept us. They accept us fine until they find out we all, uhhhh, well, uhhhh."

1...456789