Champions Vol. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Sapphire!" he called out, his mind had either been struck with a moment of brilliance, or a sudden absence of stupidity. "What are the words to send out a magical wave to push all these assholes as far back as I can?"

The Dracian thought it over for a few nerve-wracking moments, and then began to recite the chant to him, phrase by phrase. He repeated each one as soon as she said them, putting every ounce of his need into each word, and feeling his magic building in and around him. It was like the electrical charge in the air before a storm. As he repeated the last few words, his power built to a crescendo, and then pushed out from him in a massive shockwave.

The force was devastating, tossing back the running, standing, and fallen foes alike with a powerful blast. Trees were uprooted, mounds of earth were torn from the ground and cast aloft, and everything went flying away from him as though pushed by hurricane force winds...or a nuclear blast.

*** Chapter 38: Fallout ***

140034APR13 DW

East of the Field of Woe, Erosius

Dropping to his knees, David felt drained. He couldn't be certain, but it had felt like he had put everything he had into that spell. All his anger, fear, frustration, and horror had poured from him through his magic, and now he felt empty and tired.

Kneeling beside him, Sapphire reached over and softly placed her delicate hand on his face, turning it to look into her eyes. As he read the worry and exhaustion there, he noticed the scent of cordite coming from the hand on his cheek; and he smiled through his own weariness at his warrior maiden.

"Sorry," he said. "Next time I should probably lead with that."

She chuckled at his comment, and then hugged him fiercely.

"Yeah, I think that might work better in the future," she loudly whispered back jokingly in his ear. All of their ears were still ringing from the sustained weapons' fire.

Realizing that his display of power was most likely not the end of the fight, merely an intermission, he began to lash his flagging mind back into action. They needed to re-arm, they needed to rest, but most of all they needed to move. They had a short window in which to escape before the injured and disoriented attackers recovered, reorganized, and returned with a vengeance.

"We need to get out of here. Hopefully before they recover and return. I would rather slink off into the night than fight our way past them," David explained the new plan.

"Okay," Sapphire agreed, climbing wearily to her unsteady feet.

"Laurena, cast healing on Sapphire if you can. It won't recharge her magic but it might help," David called out. Returning the M4 to Sapphire, he also handed her his last full M4 magazine, just in case. "Sapphire, stay here and drop any assholes that comes this way. I'll get the horses and break down the camp."

She nodded, and waited for Laurena's spell of healing while watching their perimeter for any signs of movement. As David jogged towards their horses he rejoiced at his foresight last week. When he noticed their mounts reacting poorly to the sounds of weapons fire during the first day of training, so he initially moved them a good distance from their firing positions. He then moved the mounts closer and closer each day, allowing them to get used to the sounds of the rifles and pistols. By the last day the horses were unhappy, but calm while standing ten feet away from them during weapons training. The trio was still a long way from being able to ride their mounts into battle while firing from their saddles, but at least the horses had not run off tonight.

Untying and leading them back to the ladies was easy. Saddling all three quickly would be a greater challenge. Once David had returned he noticed Sapphire appeared somewhat rested and more alert. While she continued to watch the perimeter for movement, Laurena approached him and cast a healing spell on him. As his tiredness fled he noticed that his previous exhaustion did not seem to encompass his magic as well. He could subtly feel it still, waiting to be called forth once more.

Apparently his body's ability to cast magic, and his actual magic were separate factors in his potential. He wondered if he could train his body to get used to casting more powerful spells without exhausting so quickly; similar to training for long distance running.

Thanking Laurena, he banished their bed; and used his telekinesis magic to saddle the horses, move their belongings, and break down the tent. His magic use has started a throbbing in his temples, not unlike the feeling he got from being awake past the 36 hour mark. It couldn't be helped though, so he just pushed past it. Pulling the Mk 48 from his back, he inspected it to determine what had caused the malfunction earlier. Opening the top he noticed a link from the belt had twisted and jammed up two rounds in the feed tray. Using the pliers from his multi-tool to clear the jam, he swapped the mostly spent ammo belt for a fresh one from his pack. Hopefully 'Murphy' was done making him his bitch for the night. Pulling out two more belts, he put one in each cargo pocket and then extended the bipod legs and took up a prone firing position next to Sapphire.

"Honey, I've got this. Get dressed and ready to move. We are out of here in two minutes."

Responding to his command, Sapphire moved to obey. Slipping on her utility harness, boots, coat, and slinging her rifle. Laurena gathered their empty magazines from the ground, and stuffed them into Sapphire's saddle bags. They would have to conjure reloads later. While they did this David did a quick touch inventory of the remaining ammo on his kit. That's when he noticed he still had two grenades. That would have been a handy thing to remember about three minutes ago asshole, he thought to himself.

Hearing Sapphire and Laurena getting mounted, David rose from his firing position and stowed the bipod, slinging the Mk 48 and sliding it to his back, out of the way. Reaching down he lifted his pack and quickly strapped it behind his saddle, then mounted as well. They rode as quickly into the moonlit night as they dared; away from the killing field in under six minutes. David smoked one of his last remaining cigarettes with a shaking hand once they were away.

***

It was oddly quiet after the massacre of their enemies and subsequent flight into darkness. Initially moving north away from their attackers, after half a mile they had turned westward again and resumed their search for the Field of Woe. This time they traveled with much greater caution.

David was not sure if they would be pursued by any survivors. It was entirely possible that if any foes had even survived the assault they would be few in number, and very disorganized. However, paranoia does not play favorites, so he kept them all moving as quickly as they could during the predawn morning. They only stopped when both moons had fled the night sky, leaving them in an unmanageable darkness. During that time they had eaten quickly and allowed the horses to drink from a nearby stream.

While they waited for the dawn's coming light, the feeling of anger and observation had also returned, nearly back to full strength. Realizing the cause, David had tentatively re-cast his spell of mental protection to augment their rings. The spell had helped them greatly, but had also caused him a headache. He needed to rest, conjure enough ammo to reload all of their spent magazines, finish filling their protective rings, and a bunch of other things that he could not afford to do until he was sure they were safe.

One thing that he could do was redistribute their remaining ammo to make sure everyone was as well equipped as possible. Sapphire already had all of the remaining full M4 magazines. That gave her around 165 rounds for the M4, plus an M9 with 15 rounds in it. He gave Laurena the last M9 magazine from his kit, and the two full magazines he had found still stashed in the side pocket of his rucksack. If they got into another fight like the last one, her now 75 rounds of ammo would not last long in her unsteady hands. He just hoped that this time the Mk 48 would not give him trouble again.

For his own armaments he still had one full mag in his M9, as well as the Mk 48 with three full ammo belts and one partial. 316 rounds for a light machine gun was less than ideal. To counter this he unstrapped the M14 from his pack and slung it on his back, then filled the double mag pouches on the front of his vest with three M14 magazines. They fit poorly, as the M14 magazines were far larger than the M4 magazines the pouches were intended for, but they did fit. Carrying both the large rifle and the larger LMG was not comfortable, but at least the weight was less of a strain on his larger, stronger body than it would have been before.

Once the rising sun had illuminated the terrain enough to resume their travel, the trio continued their westward journey. Astinus had related rumor-based tales of the previous Champion's trek towards battle, and while he admitted these stories were circumspect at best, they were the only information the three had. Midway through the day they had found a landmark mentioned in the tales, and - placing faith in those retellings - began following the small creek nearby which would lead them to their destination the following day, if the stories were true.

Stopping only once that afternoon, they traveled late into the night. David led them with his NODs when the darkness grew too great, determined to lay down a challenging trail for any pursuit. Finally, near midnight, the exhausted group found an adequately defensible location in a modest size stand of trees to stop at. Setting up the trip lines caused David's head to throb harder, but he knew that rest was fast approaching and pushed through it. Due to their choice of terrain, there were only two likely avenues of approach; and David, remembering his grenades this time, used them to booby trap both. Meanwhile Sapphire set up their tent and a simple sleeping pallet with the anemic magic she had managed to regain during their day of travel.

Finally, all the preparations they could make were completed, and Laurena volunteered for the first guard shift. Sapphire hugged her in thanks, and David did as well, relieved that he would be able to finally rest. After cautioning her about the booby traps, they both stumbled into the tent, their weariness affecting their coordination. David removed his helmet and rifles, but left the rest of his gear on. Folding the end of the large sleeping mat to prop himself up into a semi-comfortable position with his vest still on, he leaned back and closed his eyes. Sapphire also remained fully dressed, laying on her side next to her love, and resting her head in his lap. He stroked her hair soothingly as they both drifted off to troubled, but much needed sleep.

***

After checking the perimeter as she had been taught, Laurena listened to the nighttime sounds around her. David had taught her the importance of learning what belonged, so that she could spot what did not. He had taught both her and Sapphire many things in the last few weeks; but his hardest lesson had been today.

He had been keeping a close eye on both Sapphire and herself all day. Sapphire seemed to be dealing with the events of the previous night well enough, but Laurena was not. She had broken down and cried as soon as they left the killing field last night, sobbing as quietly as she could so that the other did not hear her. She was now a killer. She had not been able to think of any other way to save herself, Sapphire, and David, but men and women had died by her hand. Would Eros forgive her?

By the time the sun had risen she had composed herself enough that her companions did not notice her turmoil. At least she thought they did not. When they stopped for a late lunch David had taken her aside and spoken with her.

"You saved my life," he began. "My life, Sapphire's, and your own. Thank you."

Nodding she had chosen not to respond, fearful that any words she spoke would simply devolve into another crying fit.

"You were also forced to take another person's life, more than one, unfortunately; and I know that must have been very hard for you, and still is," he had continued. "But you need to understand something. Your god, and your faith, are wonderful things. They have created a prosperous and happy world, with little tragedy and suffering in it. They have also failed to teach you an important lesson.

"Some people don't think like you do. They will ignore your faith and your decency, and decide to take your life, or the life of someone you care for, and then someone will die that day. If you are lucky, you have the training and the forethought to decide which life that will be; and you will ensure that it is theirs, as you did last night. Sometimes that will not be the case. You, someone you care for, perhaps even someone you love, will die because another person decided that killing was what they wanted to do that day. Whatever their reasons or motivations, they made the decision to mock the value of all life.

"You are not wrong to grieve the loss of life, even the lives of those who would take yours. Doing so means you have a conscience, and that you place value on all life. What you are feeling now is the sacrifice you made to protect and defend others. Those who stand in the way of the wicked, and shield the innocent and helpless, do not walk away unscathed in victory. They trade a portion of their own soul and humanity in exchange for the lives they save. It is a price they pay, sometimes gladly, sometimes grudgingly, but they still pay it; because they understand the true value of what they save.

"The men and women we left dead and dying in that field last night, each of their lives had value. But what value was that compared to our own lives, and the lives of everyone they would have harmed after us. We have no way to know how many people they may have harmed in the past, or how many we stopped them from harming in the future. We do know that we are here, now, discussing this because we put a stop to their monstrous barbarity.

"All life is valuable, but sometimes, not all lives are equally valuable. This world is a better place without them in it, and I would trade every last one of them twice over to keep you alive," David had finished his speech.

"How..." Laurena asked piteously, her voice breaking "...how do I live with myself knowing that I ended so many lives?"

"Remind yourself that the world is a better, safer place without them in it, and forgive yourself for doing what was necessary to protect others and yourself," he replied. "And if that doesn't work, ask for forgiveness from your priests and priestesses, and your god. If they grant it, then someday you may forgive yourself too."

"Is that how you do it?" she asked him.

Giving her a gentle, melancholy smile he shook his head in the negative. "No Laurena, but I know many soldiers in my old world that did find solace and comfort that way."

"What do you do? How do you deal with it?"

David sat beside her quietly, looking off into the distance as he tried to decide how to answer her question. It was dark, but for a moment Laurena thought she saw his eyes reflect the same grief and self-loathing she now felt.

"I smoke a cigarette and think about something else," he replied flatly ", until the next time it happens." Giving her a gentle one armed hug, he had walked away before she could ask him anything more.

Now, as she sat outside the tent, and thought about his words, she knew that she could not forgive herself. She did what she had to do, but it was simply too much. It was too much death, too much pain, and too much destruction of that which Eros commanded them all to cherish for her to ever believe any member of the clergy would forgive her. She began to cry softly, but quickly devolved into body wracking sobs at the thought of all she had done.

"Please do not cry child."

Shocked at the sound of a man's voice that was not David's, Laurena reached for her pistol and rapidly searched the surrounding night. How could she have been so stupid! Crying like an idiot while someone snuck up on her.

"Who is there? Show yourself or I will be forced to defend myself," she called out.

"Calm yourself child," came the man's voice from her left, "there is no need to fear me. You have traveled a long and troubled road to find me after all."

Turning toward the speaker, she noted that his voice was at the same time the most soothing and most seductive sound she had ever heard. As he stepped into the moonlight, she understood why.

"E...Eros?" she stuttered, in shock.

"Yes Laurena, you have found me," the God of Love replied. "Or, perhaps more accurately, I have found you," he added with a gentle smile.

Eros walked calmly towards the stunned acolyte, and she could not help but look him over. He was tall, at nearly six feet, with a chiseled jaw, thick, wavy blonde hair, blue eyes, broad shoulders, a tapered waist, and phenomenal musculature on his arms and legs. She imagined his entire body was the same, but he was wearing a short toga that covered his torso, and extended to just above his knees, concealing the rest of his form. He also exuded a presence that was both extremely seductive, and at the same time calming and gentle.

Laurena finally realized she had been staring at her god in silent amazement for a while, and now felt embarrassed for it. Clearing her throat in the uncomfortable silence, she suddenly remembered her mission. "My God, I have found the Champion and brought him to you!" she exclaimed with excitement.

"I know Laurena, and I thank you for your diligence," he replied, benevolently.

"He is sleeping now, let me wake him for you," she continued excitedly.

"There is no need my dear," Eros calmed her with a gentle smile. "You are all exhausted, and I have waited over twenty winters for your coming, I can wait a few more hours."

Laurena blushed as an exciting warmth blossomed in her core from his smile. His smile, his scent, his very presence was intoxicating to her. She had heard stories from the older clergy who had been fortunate enough to meet their god before his long absence; and their stories of those events had failed to prepare her for how awe inspiring and heady the experience would be.

"I would like for you to rest tonight, but first I would unburden your heart," he explained gently.

Conjuring an elaborate two-seater bench, he sat on one side and patted the empty space next to him. Confused, Laurena shuffled over and sat where he had indicated. Sitting so close to him, she could feel his presence encompass her, soothing her mind and enflaming her body.

"You are troubled by the deaths of those you were forced to kill," he began.

Laurena nodded worriedly, she was not sure she could handle a rebuke from her god after everything she had been through.

"You must forgive yourself, child," he continued. "You did as you had to. Those men and women had been corrupted by the pain and hatred of another goddess; one who would happily destroy this world, or steal it from me in spite. Had you acted in any other manner, you would have died last night, along with your friends. It is appropriate to mourn the loss of life, even the lives of enemies, because all life is sacred. But you must also forgive yourself, and any others who take lives in order to spare the innocent or just. If you three had refused to fight, your attackers would have killed you, and only three deaths would have occurred that night. But those deaths would have meant the end of any possibility for us to save this world from the encroaching darkness. Fifty lives lost to spare three may seem selfish, but fifty lost to save the world is not."