Champions Vol. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The Dracian understood. She did not want to lose the love she had so recently found, but she knew that David could not ignore what would happen in his world if he failed to return. She had never discussed the matter with him, worried about his answer. She feared he would go back, and that he would not, or could not, take her with him. Knowing now where his heart would lead him, she marshaled her emotions. Either he would take her with him, or she would find a way to follow. It was that simple.

"I am sorry David," Eros apologized. "I did not bring you here, and I do not have the power to send you back." The god explained with sorrow.

"Then who does?" David asked, anger warring with relief in his mind. He was pissed off that someone was using him as a puppet, pulling his strings and jerking him around. But, if he was stuck here that was it. He had tried. He could spend the rest of his days living a simple life with his woman. The future he had dreamt of during the lonely nights in Afghanistan could become a reality.

"The only being I know with that kind of power is my father, and possibly his heralds," the God of Love explained, "and before you ask I have no way of ensuring they return you. I can ask, but that does not guarantee anything. Their minds and their actions have always been their own. If they plan to return you, they will do so on their own time-table, and at their own whims."

It was not the answer that David wanted, but it was the answer he expected. Shaking his head in resignation, he looked to his lady love and said with a smile, "Well beautiful, it looks like you're stuck with me for a while."

Sighing as though she was the most put-upon person in the world, Sapphire replied, "If I must. I'll tell all my other lovers not to expect my visits as often, now that I am forced to drag you along with me. They aren't terribly patient, but I'm sure they will understand...eventually," she finished with a giggle.

"You are truly benevolent, a queen amongst the rabble. I promise to do anything and everything in my power to make it up to you, your 'Heiny'-ness," David replied with equally solemn jocularity.

Both Sapphire and Laurena snorted at his comment. Even Eros' smiled in amusement.

"Why has my body changed since I got here?" David asked, returning to his search for answers.

"Every Champion receives a portion of power from the one who chose them," the god explained. "My father has an order of magnitude more power than I and my siblings. Even a very small portion of that is too much for a human to contain. I assume he had to make changes to your body to ensure that the power does not destroy you. It would seem that you are becoming a demigod."

David was stunned by this announcement. His mind was shying away from the seriousness of the proclamation by flashing images of Arnold Schwarzenegger's badly dubbed portrayal of Hercules in Hercules in New York. David snorted at the mental image. That movie had been atrocious.

Mistaking the meaning behind his reaction, Eros responded quickly, "I realize it is rather hard to accept, but I assure you it is true. We deities can spot the mark of divinity in others. Yours is faint, but growing."

Realizing the mistake, David was quick to correct himself, "I apologize. I wasn't rudely disbelieving you. My mind just wandered to something inane and ludicrous."

"What, my comment about your 'magic dick'?" Sapphire said with a twinkle of mirth in her eye, after recovering from her own shock at the god's declaration.

Laurena began to giggle, which she tried to stifle, and caused it to turn into a snort. Sapphire laughed at the sound, and even David chuckled. It had been a good one.

Surprising them both, Laurena blurted out, "You could even say it is 'divine'."

And that was the end of any coherent conversation for the next few minutes. All three burst into deep, body shaking laughter. They had been wound too tight, and under too much stress, for too long; but the dam had finally broken. When Eros himself let slip a chuckle at their antics, they were all momentarily stunned into silence at the sound of a god laughing; which just caused them to laugh that much harder.

"So what do we do now my god?" Laurena inquired, finally collecting herself and bringing everyone back to the subject at hand.

"You and I shall both be very busy for a while. I have to travel this world and determine how ready my people are to defend it. I must also determine how long Erosius has until it is attacked again. The people of this land, more so than any other, are the best chance this world has to defeat Enyo's encroachment.

"Your task is to assist me in laying to rest Ophelia, my last Champion. She has waited many winters for her final rest, and it is long overdue," Eros explained. "I will prepare her for travel, and I ask that you take her to her tomb. It is my hope that David will choose to join you in this, but I cannot command him to do so; nor would I even if I could."

Turning to look at David, Laurena wondered what he would do. She had worked hard to repair the damage she had wrought after their initial meeting, but she was doubtful he would want to remain with her. He would certainly choose to accompany Sapphire to Calavius, to continue her search for Galen.

David wanted to tell Eros to go fuck himself. He was tired of all this. He wasn't some character in a damn RPG hopping from one 'go fetch' mission to the next. He wanted some long overdue rest and relaxation. Preferably on a beach, with a bikini clad Sapphire at his side. Or naked...she would look awesome naked. Looking to star of his fantasies he noticed, and mistook, the expression of resolve on her face.

Sapphire had immediately begun studying David after the god had voiced his request. After so much time spent with him these past weeks, observing his moods and expressions, she could tell he was about to refuse. She was initially glad. She wanted to find Galen in Calavius, and if David went with Laurena Sapphire would have to choose between her quest and her love. But as she glanced at the acolyte she could see that her friend was afraid. She had trained hard, and performed better than they had expected she would in her first fight. But there was no way she would have survived that night without them. Sapphire could not let her friend do this alone.

Turning back to look at David, she watched his gaze leave Eros and move to her a heartbeat later. He read her resolve and commitment in her expression, and her words clarified its source.

"We're going with Laurena, my love. She may need us, and I cannot abandon her to face this alone," she explained.

David nodded his acquiescence. He would not allow some capricious deity to dictate his life, but Sapphire owned his ass; they both knew it, and he was surprisingly okay with that.

"Thank you," Laurena said, surprised, but hopeful once more. "Thank you both."

Eros rose and beckoned them to follow. Laurena practically leapt from her seat, and walked after the God of Love. Shrugging at each other, David and Sapphire followed more sedately. Walking a short distance towards the rising sun, they noted a sarcophagus in the field ahead. None of them had seen it previously, so they wondered where it had come from. As the three mortals followed the god to where Ophelia - fallen Champion of Eros - perished, they noted the top of the sarcophagus had an intricately detailed sculpture of a woman on it. She was exceptionally beautiful, and the expression on her carven face bore a gentle half-smile. All three could feel a sense of peace and contentment emanating from the tomb.

Standing close to the stone monument to his fallen faithful, Eros began to sing.

"My Champion, my child,

you served with faith and grace and love,

go peacefully now to final rest

in my palace up above.

Look down upon my servants,

and watch them with gentle love and care.

For one day they shall join you

and rejoice that you are there.

Please wait to greet the faithful,

each a beloved and gentle soul.

Your radiance and compassion

will make them happy, make them whole.

My Champion, my child,

you served with faith and grace and love,

go peacefully now to final rest

in my palace up above.

Greet your brothers and your sisters

as they watch us from on high,

and join with them in song and dance

content your rest is neigh.

With leisure and with joy

should you embrace all your rewards,

you earned them many times

fighting on these rocky shores.

My Champion, my child,

you served with faith and grace and love,

go peacefully now to final rest

in my palace up above."

The song was one of both grief and triumph, and Eros' voice granted it a sense of loss and joy. Both of the women were crying softly as the god finished his final verse, and even David was a little misty. Of course, he was certain it was from a here-to-for unknown allergy. They all stood in silence for a few moments after Eros finished singing. Laurena thought of the ultimate sacrifice made by the previous Champion, Sapphire's mind was wrapped in thoughts of her father, and David reflected on his parents and his fallen team.

After an unknown length of time that was both too long, and far too short, Eros waved his hand over the sarcophagus and it began to shrink. Gradually, the massive tomb reduced in size until it was no larger than a pinky finger. Kneeling down, Eros picked it up and carried it to Laurena. As he approached her, she noticed the once massive sarcophagus was now a pendant, hanging from a gold chain. Stepping around her, he brushed her hair aside and clipped the necklace with pendant around her slender neck.

"You have done well finding The Creator's Champion and bringing him to me Laurena," the God of Love praised his acolyte as he closed the clasp and walked back to look into her eyes. "He will be a great asset to you in the times ahead."

Turning to David he continued, "However, keep in mind David, you are not a full demigod yet. Your body has not finished the transition, and until it does so using too much of your magic can weaken, or even kill you. Take great care in how you use it for now."

"Laurena, this next task I set you is the most important, and most challenging you will ever face. You must take Ophelia to The Tomb of Champions. It is the final resting place of those who have fallen in my service.

"To get her there, you must face a series of trials that will challenge you. These are not tests meant to assess your worthiness; but a crucible to strengthen you, and prepare you for the future that lies ahead. You are not perfect, as no mortal, or even god, is. But these trials shall lay bare your imperfection in ways that cannot be denied, or ignored. They are important, not only because they shall strengthen your faith and understanding of my dominion, but also because this is the first task of every new Champion to serve me."

Stunned at his words, Laurena could say nothing, but her look of total shock and disbelief spoke volumes.

"Yes my child, you are the next Champion of Eros."

*** Epilogue ***

King Amenemhet IV, ruler of the United Kingdom of Amandure, strode swiftly along the hallways of his palace. It was still dark in those early morning hours, with both of the two moons having set. He had awakened from a deep sleep, with a summons from his mistress. He did not know what she wanted, but she had visited his dreams and commanded he come to her at once. Even a king was not foolish enough to ignore her.

Turning a corner he entered the temple. It was his personal temple, built in the center of the palace before his great-great-great grandfather had sat on the throne. Yet, while the building was the same, the residency had changed under his rule.

Gone were the trappings of love and mercy that were the hallmark of that fool god Min. Amenemhet had been forced to grow up listening to the weak, sniveling drivel of his clergy, but had finally had enough shortly after his fifteenth spring. Tired of the insipid words of kindness and love, he could no longer stand how weak and meek his people had become listening to the fools. Knowing his father, the then king, would not support his vision of the future; Amenemhet slew his father in the night, and blamed an 'assassin' that was 'caught' sneaking from the city. The man was a trader from the kingdom of Hadeeth to the west. The newly crowned king had the unfortunate man executed before he could be questioned by a member of Min's clergy, and used the incident to immediately declared war on the Kingdom of Hadeeth.

The clergy naturally argued that he was acting against the will of their god, and that war was not the answer. King Amenemhet told them to leave his sight and never return, under penalty of death for their hypocrisy in ignoring the heinous slaughter of his father, the former king. In less than a week Amenemhet had what he wanted. He was king, the fawning, insipid clergy of Min were gone from his lands, and he had discovered a deity more in line with his desires in the ancient writings buried deep within the palace vaults. Sekhmet, Goddess of War, would be a much better choice to support his vision.

The next day he converted the palace temple into the first Shrine of Sekhmet. It did not take long for the goddess to respond to the prayers of her new faithful, and she offered him a choice. If every living person in his kingdom converted to her worship, and followed her commands, she would give them the power to conquer their enemies. If they did not, she would curse them and ensure their destruction. Amenemhet made his choice, and any member of Min's clergy or faithful that refused to convert were tortured and slaughtered. It took him two years, but shortly before his eighteenth birthday King Amenemhet was visited in his dreams by his new goddess. There she bestowed upon him an intimate knowledge of battle and warfare great enough to conquer any land.

For the next year his army trained relentlessly. The people's magic was weaker now - without the Blessings of Min - but with the knowledge of warfare and strategy that the king taught to his generals his army grew to be far stronger than anything the neighboring Kingdom of Hadeeth could field. King Amenemhet IV celebrated his nineteenth spring on the blood stained battlefields of Hadeeth. It took his army less than a year to conquer that land, and by the next year all citizens of the now United Kingdom of Amandure either publicly venerated Sekhmet, or were executed.

That was when Sekhmet visited Amenemhet again, commanding him to raise a force to immediately attack the distant land of Erosius, across the Great Ocean. Amandure did not have a large navy, and what few vessels they did possess were for fishing and trade, not war. The king tried to reason with his goddess, explaining that he did not have the resources for such an assault. It did not go well. She wracked his body with the most intense pain imaginable for a full day. Every second of that agony felt like an eternity, and he prayed for death over and over. Finally it ended, and his goddess repeated her command.

Two weeks later the largest force of ships the king could assemble set sail for Erosius. He sent his greatest general with them, and prayed each day that they would succeed, for he knew his goddess would accept no less. Three months later his goddess visited him again, telling him that his force had failed, but that she would allow him a second chance. She commanded him to raise a vast navy and army, which would ensure his success this time. He was to use these forces to conquer and convert every island and nation between his kingdom and Erosius.

It was a monumental task, and he had spent the last twenty springs working to follow her commands. He knew it would take him a few more years to reach Erosius, but his army and navy were the most powerful forces in the world now. He had also expanded his empire across one quarter of the globe.

These were his thoughts as he moved into the temple and knelt at the altar of his goddess.

"I have come my goddess. Your humble servant kneels before your greatness and awaits your commands."

Amenemhet, there is nothing humble about your service to me.

As the king struggled to beg forgiveness her laughter cut him short.

I have no desire for groveling cowards begging for me to solve their every problem. You are a strong leader, and your forces are an unstoppable wave that grows my power and influence in your world. Spare me your false humility, I have no need of it.

"What can your servant do for you goddess?" he asked.

It is time for you to do as I have commanded. Min has returned, and has chosen a new Champion. You have done well these last decades and prepared this world for my challenge. Now you must gather all your forces, and sail to Erosius. Lead my faithful into battle and conquer this world for me.

"A Champion, goddess? The last Champion defeated my forces when they tried to take Erosius. The forces I can bring this time are far greater, but what shall we do when we face this Champion?"

You will do as I command. Worry not about the Champion. This new one is weak and inexperienced; she will be no challenge for my Champion.

"Your Champion?"

Yes, Amenemhet. All your work to increase the faithful who venerate me has finally born fruit. I have enough influence in your realm to render a proper challenge. So I shall send you my Champion, and I assure you, he will easily defeat Min's child hero.

Then a bright flash temporarily blinded the king, and he fell back to the floor. Blinking the spots from his watering eyes, he looked back to the altar, and the statue of Sekhmet behind it. The altar was a smoking ruin, and the statue was gone. In its place stood a hulking brute. The man was larger than any the king had ever seen before, standing well over six feet tall, and he was enormous. The king guessed he was easily three hundred pounds of solid muscle, and the intricate plate armor he wore only made him more intimidating. He wore no helm, and his head was clean shaven, with tattoos covering its surface. He wore a full beard of black hair, with braids in it that hung down to mid-chest. Across his back was strapped a massive two-handed sword.

Shaking off his amazement, King Amenemhet IV rose from his cowering position, straightening his back and standing. With a commanding voice he addressed the stranger, "Who are you and what are you doing in the temple of Sekhmet?"

Turning to gaze at the king, the large man spoke in a deep, soul chilling voice.

"I am the Champion of Enyo, the goddess you know as Sekhmet. I am here to lead your forces to victory, and crush the Champion of Min."

***************** Final Notes ****************

I hope you enjoyed this story; and if you are re-reading this version I hope that it was an improvement over the original. Volume Two will be along shortly, and you can always check my biography page for the monthly updates on the continuing Champions Saga.

Thank you all for your patience during the wait between Volumes, and I hope you continue to have patience to the end. It will be a long road to reach the conclusion with Volume 10(?), but for those who stick with me I assure you the reward will be worth it.

Volume Two: Trials - Coming Very Soon