Dark as Daylight Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Thanks for that interjection Monty, maybe I'll go downstairs and see them."

"You should, they're funny as hell. The kids love them."

"We have a petting zoo?"

"How do you think they got out of their pen? They have no parasites or diseases, so it's safe for the kids to touch them. So why not let the kids play with them?"

"I swear I thought my son was kidding about those turkeys."

"You, how about me? I swore I was going to kill every one of them, and I was, until he was in the brig, and wanted to kill himself. That boy really showed his stripes that day. He became a man."

"It was a hell of a way to do it Monty."

"Maybe it was the only way for him to make that jump."

*****************

"Can I go now?"

"Yes, but work on the rocket, not on your multiple girlfriends."

"I'll try grandmother."

"Get off my bridge."

"Yes captain."

*************

"Well, I am hungry, and so are these two in here, so it must be lunchtime. Janet Dover to the bridge. Janet Dover to the bridge."

"You're not going to do that to me Jennifer, please tell me you're not going to do that to me?"

"Are you a helmsman in training Monty?"

"Yes Captain I am."

"Is Janet a captain in training?"

"Yes Captain she is."

"When you were her senior officer, did she treat you with respect?"

"Yes Captain she did."

"In about a year, she is not going to be a captain in training, she is going to have the rank of captain. What are you going to do then Monty? How are you going to treat her when she has her full rank?"

"I will treat her the way she treated me Captain."

"The time to start treating her like that is now. This is your transition period. You go from her senior officer to her junior officer. You still have the right to disagree with her decisions, but her decision is final, just like my husband's decision was with Gordon."

"Yes Captain, I understand."

"Reporting as ordered Captain."

"Janet you have the bridge. I'm going to lunch. Monty will give you all the specifics as to the direction, speed, and where we are going. Don't run into anything please."

"You're going to leave me alone?"

"No, I'm leaving you with Monty and Matt. Monty is your helmsman, and Matt will advise you of any collision avoidance needs you may need to take. Do you need anything else, or should I put Monty in the captain's seat, and let you be helmsman?"

Monty said, "Please Captain."

Janet replied, "Not on your fat ass Monty."

"That got her captain."

"You two had this set up?"

Jennifer said, "Who us, never."

"I hate you both. Callie, trainee Janet Dover has the bridge."

"Do you agree Captain Luck?"

"I do Callie. Help her out if she needs it."

"I will Captain."

"One more thing Janet, my husband is not allowed out of his room for 7 more hours. That order stands regardless of what he says."

"Yes Captain."

As Janet sat in the captain's chair, alone for the first time she felt lost.

Monty said, "Janet relax. What did Jennifer tell you a captain's job is?"

"The captain's job is to be an administrator, until action needs to be taken."

"What did the captain tell you to ask me?"

"What is our direction, speed, and destination."

"Good, now ask me properly."

"Helmsman, what is our direction, speed, and destination?"

"Captain, our direction is 261°, our speed is 2.1 light years per hour, and our destination is the inbound side of the White Hole, as defined by Holden Luck."

"She's going to take us through that thing?"

"I am only the helmsman Captain; I do not set policy. That is the administrator's job."

Matt applauded.

Janet said, "Stop that or I will throw you in the brig."

"May I ask on what charges Captain?"

"Inappropriate applauding."

"I will have to look that up in the law books. I must have missed that one."

"It's under Captain's prerogatives."

"Is it under Captain in training prerogatives also?"

"Be quiet, and stop undermining my authority."

"Yes Captain."

Monty said, "Janet take a step back, close your eyes, and breathe. If you're going to let something as small as that get to you, what happens when something serious happens."

Janet followed Monty's advice.

"Matt, I apologize. My remarks were ill considered and out of line."

"Thank you Captain."

Things went along smoothly for the next 25 minutes, until Matt received a collision warning alarm at his station.

"Captain, meteor on collision course 400 million miles bearing 020°, angle of declination 015, impact 23 seconds."

Janet said, "Sound collision alert, helmsman turn right heading 070, climb 50 degrees' angle of inclination. Callie, am I correct?"

"You did very well captain in training Janet. You overcorrected, however it is much better than under correcting."

"Thank you Callie."

"Matt next time could you give me a little more warning? I think I have to change my underwear."

"Captain this is the helm. Would you like me to return to course, or maintain this one?"

"Helm returned to course 261 degrees relative, and advise any update on ETA."

"Matt sound the all clear."

Jennifer walked onto the bridge, with half her lunch on her uniform.

"Captain would you mind telling me what the hell just went on?"

"Callie run the tape back from 5 seconds prior to the collision alarm going off."

"Yes Captain."

"Captain, Meteor on collision course 400 million miles, bearing 020 angle of declination 015, impact 23 seconds."

"Sound collision alert, helmsman turn right heading 050, climb angle of inclination 50 degrees. Callie am I correct?"

"What didn't you want me to hear Janet?"

"The part about me having to change my underwear."

"There's no shame in that. I would've had to change mine. I think you did an awesome job, and since Callie did not take over for you, I believe she believed you did well also."

"Callie said I overcorrected, but rather overcorrect than under correct."

"Captain this is communications."

Janet said, "Go ahead communications."

"Everyone wants to know what the hell just happened. Instead of me telling them one by one, why don't you just make a general announcement."

"Okay."

Jennifer said, "I have to change my uniform, I'll be back soon."

"Wait; you have to make the announcement."

"You are sitting in the captain's chair; you make it."

"I hate this fucking job."

Monty and Matt cracked up.

"Be Careful What You Wish for Captain; you may get it."

"When I was told I was going to be a captain in training, I thought of all of the evil things I could do to you to get even for all the things you did to me over the years. Now I find out not only can't I do them, I have to take more crap from everyone on the ship. It's just not fair. It's just not fair."

"Remember Janet, you're getting paid more than I am."

"Paid in what? The size of my room is the size of yours. I eat the same food you eat. I exercise in the same room you do. What do I get more growth than you do?"

"Gray hair."

"I'm going to take you apart in the gym. Callie would you make up a competition list for everyone on board, by skill level. Prepare four matches per shift separated by one complete rotation. If anyone's skill level is above or below their entry level, move them to their appropriate position. Allow male to fight female if requested. Send this notification out to all interested parties today please."

"It has been done Captain."

"Thank you Callie."

The collision avoidance alarm went off again.

Matt didn't wait. He hit the collision alert alarm and said, "Captain meteor 450 million miles bearing 060°. Angle of declination 010, impact 33 seconds."

"Helm, turn right heading 090° relative angle of ascent 020°."

"Captain, I disagree. If we turn right, we are turning into a shooting gallery. I suggest we turn South, and climb away from that meteor at a sharp angle."

Jennifer stood in the doorway watching what would happen between two trainees, and two friends, who trusted each other's judgment, but with limited time to make a decision. She was ready to step in when 10 seconds remained.

"Helm turn left heading 340°, climb angle of ascent 050."

Again the beach ball heeled over, but this time to the left, and everyone was thrown backwards because of the steep angle of ascent.

"I hope like hell you are right Monty."

"Come over here and look at the hologram Janet, I mean Captain."

Janet and Jennifer approached Monty's station from either side. She looked up and said, "Oh, it's the Inquisition."

"You countermanded a captain's order; now prove you were right."

She looked at Janet and said, "You were bitching about paperwork?"

"If you look at the holograph, you can see the area to the northeast of our position looks like a shooting gallery. It looks like space must have looked like after the Big Bang. Everything is colliding into everything else, and then shooting off into every area of space including the area we are transiting. If we had moved further into that area, we would have been dodging everything from the size of a bullet to the size of a good-sized boulder. I thought we were safer up here, then down there. That is the reason I asked the Captain to reconsider her decision."

"Callie what did you think?"

"If the order to turn right had been obeyed, I would have taken control and turned the ship to the left. It was a much better decision considering the options."

"Thank you for saving our ship Monty."

"That's one of the problems I see with the captain's position. You can't see the tactical situation. If you did you may have made the same decision I did. Those monitors in front of us are fine if you just want to look at the stars. But I have the linear radar, the long-range telescopes, and the microwave links at my position. I have more information available to me then you have at yours. I believe that is something that should be changed, unless you want captains to look over my shoulder every time we have a situation that requires an executive decision."

"Captain this is security."

"Go ahead security

"Dr. Luck is using his headboard to break down the door. He says he is going to the bridge, or he's going to the brig, one or the other. What shall we do?"

"Give me a moment."

"Bridge to Dr. Finch."

"Dr. Finch here."

"Is our favorite nurse with you?"

"Of course she is."

"I have a plan..."

***********

"Security this is the Captain."

"Tell the prisoner he will be allowed out of his room, as long as he remains calm. If he begins acting irrationally, take him down to the floor, handcuff him, and we will wait until Doctor Finch arrives. Then we will give him his options."

"Yes Captain, may we get at least two additional guards to come with us. At this moment, I would not want to be alone with him."

"You can get 8 if you want to, but he comes on the bridge calm, or he comes here in cuffs."

"Thank you Captain, you have made it much easier for us."

"Teddy Thyme to the bridge. Teddy Thyme to the bridge."

A few moments later you could hear Teddy yelling, "Josephine get back here. Josephine get back here."

"Josephine would be Teddy's turkey."

In scrambled a 1' tall turkey, followed by a 3' tall red headed Teddy screaming, "Josephine get back here."

Matt caught Josephine before she was able to exit the bridge on the other side. The bird was not happy, but the redhead was.

"Thank you Matt. Josephine you bad girl. Always running away. Going to put you back in your pen."

Monty asked, "Teddy, who let Josephine out of her pen?"

"Me."

"Aren't you supposed to keep her in the large pen where children can play with her?"

"She sneaky; jumped out of arms before I get there. Chased her all over. Then she follow me here, and I chase her here. Very funny."

"Give her to me, and go to your grandmother. She's going to need you in a minute."

"Why?"

Monty said, "Because you love God, and God loves you."

"I pray mommy and daddy all the time."

"Do you ever pray for you?"

"Sometimes, but no need anything. Pray for others, they be good."

"You're a wonderful person Teddy, go to grandma."

Eight agent surrounded him as he was dragged onto the bridge. His hands were bound together by a plastic tie, and a gag was in his mouth. The agents blocked his view of Jennifer. They sliced the plastic tie off his wrist and removed the gag.

"Captain, you are reinstated to your full rank. Any time you wish to meet any of us in the gym, it will be our pleasure."

He was about to let all of them have it, in language he rarely used, when they moved to the side and he saw Jennifer holding Teddy.

"Hi grandpa, birthday soon, big surprise, huge surprise, no dress."

Most of his anger drained away as he looked at her. "What kind of a surprise would a dress be? Yuck! How about a baseball bat?"

"No baseball bat. Huge surprise. I no put mommy nose in the corner. You promise great big surprise. You no lie to Teddy?"

"Never lie to Teddy, NEVER. HUGE SURPRISE, I promise. 2 days your birthday, or do you want it today, and your birthday?"

"2 times huge surprise?"

"Only because I love my Teddy. For you and all the children."

"Why them only my birthday?"

"Teddy being selfish? God not like that."

"I know, I sorry. Everyone, is enough?"

"I think there is Teddy. That's very nice of you."

"Now, I need a favor."

"What grandpa?

"Would you have one of these men take your turkey downstairs with you so you can play with it in the pen where you belong?"

"Yes grandpa, I go right now."

"Thank you Teddy."

*****************

Jennifer said, "I can tell you got some sleep, your back to your old tricks again."

"Where do you want to start Jen. At the beginning, when you sent me to jail, or in the last 20 minutes when the ship nearly turned over."

"Well, since I wasn't on the bridge when the last one happened, I will hand it over to Captain in training Janet, and helmsman in training Monty."

"You left the ship in the hands of 2 trainees?"

"No, Matt was here."

"Matt is in charge of collision avoidance."

"Exactly what did you think they were doing up hear, playing shuffleboard?"

"Talk to me Matt."

"With all due respect Captain, this is my bridge, until I am relieved."

"You are relieved Captain."

"Sir, you cannot relieve me. Only the captain that put me in charge can relieve me."

"Gotcha by the balls, doesn't she Even."

"I should have stayed single; I believe I was much happier then."

"Captain May I speak to the collision avoidance officer?"

"Yes you may Captain."

"Matt answer my question."

"The object that passed us was slightly larger than a 12 meters in size, and roughly rectangular in shape. It was moving at a speed slightly in excess of 70,000 miles per hour. Our long-range sensors picked it up 450 million miles away, because of its size, at a bearing of 060° at a declination of 010°. I hit the collision alert alarm, and I advised the captain of the particulars, and the amount of time until impact."

"How much time was there until impact?"

"33 seconds Captain."

"What happened next."

"Captain, that is not something the collision avoidance officer should be talking about. If you want that answer talk to me, or leave the bridge, because you are in your rest period, and not on duty."

"Who wrote these fucking manuals?"

5 people answered, "You did."

Doctor Finch walked onto the bridge, and added a 6th voice to that answer, "You did."

"Who invited you are Joe?"

"The captain did."

"Right now that's like answering with a shotgun."

"I've had my share of those."

"Captain Janet after Matt sounded the collision alert alarm and told you what was happening what was your response. I told the helm to turn right heading 090 climb at an inclination of 020."

"Was it enough to avoid the incoming object."

"My order was not carried out."

"WHAT!"

"The helm advised me that if we turned right we would be turning into a shooting gallery of comets and meteors. It advised me to turn left and climb rapidly to avoid other incoming space debris."

"Did you follow those recommendations?"

"Yes I did."

"Why did you accept the helms recommendations, rather than your own decision?"

"Trust. I have known the helmsman for more than 17 years. She had the holographic image in front of her, which I did not. She had a better tactical viewpoint than I did, which was discussed in an after action review of the situation. I believe if you listen to the helmsman's report, you may want to do some retrofitting on the bridge so that you can make decisions based on a more thorough knowledge of what is going on around us rather than just looking at the screens in front of us which are not tactically equipped."

"Helmsman why did you disobey an order from the captain?"

"Helmsman do not answer that question."

"Captain may I speak to your helmsman?"

"Yes you may."

"Helmsman, why did you disobey an order from the captain?"

"My 3-D holographic display showed hundreds if not thousands of targets to the north of us. In an abundance of caution, I advised the captain to go left instead of right to avoid any contact with those objects."

"If I had told you to turn right would you have turned right?"

"No sir, I would've issued you the same advisory."

"Good for all of you, good work. Let's go back to the first one.

"Captain may I speak to your collision avoidance officer again?"

"Yes you may Captain."

"Matt what happened the first time?"

"The collision avoidance alarm went off at 400 million miles for a meteor moving at 47,000 miles per hour, at a bearing of 060 degrees, angle of declination 015, and impact in 23 seconds. I advised the captain."

"Captain what did you do?"

"I ordered the helm to turn right 070 to descend at an angle of declination of 130. After we had passed clear of the meteor, the helm reminded me that I had forgotten to turn back on course, which I did at that time."

"You realize you didn't have to tell me that."

"Yes, but it was a mistake I made, and I wanted to read it into the record. I will learn from it and it will not happen again."

"Have we returned on course since this last correction?"

Monty was nodding her head, and Janet said yes we had."

"Captain requesting permission to get Jack Daniels out of bed?"

"How far into his rest is he?"

"7 hours."

"Callie did Colonel Daniels begin his rest on time?"

"He began his rest period 3 hours and 47 minutes late, due to a problem in engineering."

"Request denied Captain, let the man sleep."

"I could have bullied a man sitting in that chair, but I can't bully a woman; I never could. Would somebody let me off at the next planet please."

"I am going to bed, Even. Are you coming to bed with me, or are you just going to roam around this wonder of yours?"

"I'll just wander around."

"Wrong answer."

"Joe!"

Dr. Finch took out a syringe out of his pocket, took off the plastic tip and squirted a little liquid out of the top.

"Are we going to this the easy way Even or the hard way?"

"You are going to have to catch me first Joe."

He smiled and began backing away to escape through the other entrance to the bridge, when felt the needle enter his neck. He turned and saw Hannah smiling at him. On his way to the floor he said, "Oh God, not again."

"Janet you have the bridge. If you need me, call, I'll be in bed with my husband."

6. Teddy's Birthday Party

The parents had no idea what the surprise was going to be for Teddy's 'Birthday Party', but they were told to make sure their children ate their dinners' first.

Teddy was jumping up and down in her seat yelling, "Grandpa, huge surprise, very big surprise. Now please, all finished dinner. Everyone ready for big surprise."

1...456789